Next Weapon Set: Rifle

in Thief

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

<insert useless opinion bullkitten here>

And now I would like to give my thoughts no how the rifle should work for thieves. If thieves end up getting access to a rifle, I propose that the rifle should be slow, initiative-use-heavy weapon whose effectiveness increases with distance. I shall list my rifle skill ideas now. Feel free to call them OP or w/e. I am not in charge of balancing so idgaf. :P

Damage calculated = 2000 power x 1265 weapon strength)/2597 armor x skill coefficient

1close) Spray and Pray
Blast your enemy with a cloud of Bird Shot that makes them vulnerable. Close range only.
Cooldown: 1/2s
Damage: 146 x2 (.15) (292 max)
Range: 400 Cone
2 Vulnerability: 6s

1mid) Pot Shot
Who cares what happens! As long as it hits them, right? Medium range only.
Cooldown: 3/4s
Damage: 390 (.4)
Range: 401-800
50% chance to bounce.

1long) Cover Fire
Support your team from a distance. Long range only.
Cooldown: 3/4s
Damage: 487 (.5)
Range: 801-1200

1stealth) Bullet to the Knee
End their adventuring days with a high caliber bullet to their kneecap.
Damage: 536 (.55)
Range: 1200
Cripple: 8s

2) Drill Shot (4 initiative)
Shoot a piercing round that punches holes through armor and ignores armor ratings a little.

Charge: 1s
Damage: 649 (.4)
Armor Rating -40%.

3a) Shadow Retreat (3 initiative)
Shadowstep directly away from target (like a kitten). Turns into Shadow Return.
Range: 600

3b) Shadow Return
Return to the spot where you acted like a bit…. I mean Shadowstepped from. Remove 1 Condition. :D

4) Ghillie Suit (5 initiative)
Go prone and become one with your environment. Initiative regen stops. Movement and skill activation breaks stance and Camouflage.
Initiative Drain: 1 per second
Camouflage: 2s
Camouflage: 1s per initiative spent while in stance.

5a) Snipe (7 initiative)
Kneel down and line up your shot with your target’s vitals. Initiative regen stops. Movement and skill activation breaks stance. Turns into Fire.
Initiative Drain: 1 per second

5b) Fire
Shoot the bullet that may very well end your target’s life. Gains range and strength the more initiative is spent while Snipe is active. Automatically fires when initiative hits 0.
Damage: 974 (1)
Bonus Damage: 2% per initiative spent
Bonus Range: 200 per initiative spent
Bonus Crit Chance: 1% per initiative spent(5 max)
5 Bleeding: 10s

TRAIT IDEAS MOVED

Relevant picture is relevant.

Attachments:

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Thief

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

I also think rifles would be cool and I like the camo idea – I was thinking of something similar a few weeks ago. I think the tough thing is really differentiating this from longbow rangers and rifle warriors, where there is some real overlap.

I also think there should be a mobility skill, but I think it needs to be more limited. Having the most range of any thief weapon + limited stealth, I think the rifle would have to give up something…and that should be easy mobility.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

You thinking about something different than what I thought up for the 3 skill? Which reminds me. I didn’t put the condition removal on shadow return.

Ideas for Traits:
>Penetrating Rounds: Rifle attacks pierce.

>Dark Rounds: Rifle attacks inflict Blind. 33% chance.

>Ankle Shots (revamp): Pistol and Rifle crits have a 60% chance to Cripple for 3s. (CD 10s)

>Sprinting: +10% running speed while wielding a Rifle.

>Steady Breathing: 10% damage with rifles. Activation time for rifles skills are increased by 1/4s. Ghillie Suit and Snipe have a 20% chance to not drain initiative each tick.

>Rifle Round Roulette: Rifle attacks have a chance to inflict Bleeding (5s), Vulnerability (5s), Weakness (2s), Blind (5s) and/or Cripple (5s) on crit. Each condition is applied randomly. 15% chance for each condition.

>Target Acquired: Targets that take damage from your traps become marked for 5 seconds. The next rifle attack deals 10% more damage.

> High-powered Scope: Increase Rifle range to 1500. Decrease rifle range bonus to 150 per initiative spent while Snipe is active.
-more trait ideas later…. perhaps-

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Thief

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Merge treads instead of spamming more topics

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

we need a trait to make it 1500 range also..but

I’d rather want 1500 range shuriken to feel like a real ninja

All is vain.

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I actually would love that snipe skill. Although, charging it up from full initiative with 15 in Trickery would result in… +30% damage, 4200 range (WTF OP QQ HAX), and 5% bonus crit chance. Coupled with Hidden Killer and Ghillie Suit (or any stealth) and assuming you’re zerking all out would result in an undetectable critical hit for 6,603.92 damage against an opponent with 2000 armor. When I was doing the math I thought it would be more OP, but in all reality it could use double the base damage to even be on the same playing field as the warrior’s Kill Shot… Or backstab for that matter, and being rooted would justify it rightly, since you can hit far more with backstab while not rooted every ~4 secondsz

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

That would cause some kittening. If there was a damage dropoff at that range then maybe it could be put in.

in Thief

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

That would cause some kittening. If there was a damage dropoff at that range then maybe it could be put in.

no damage drop off needed, we’re like assassins we should be good at long range attacks. oh and do warriors suffer damage drop off at 1500 range? No right? So why should we? Come on we’re assassins. We should do the most burst.

All is vain.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

no damage drop off needed, we’re like assassins we should be good at long range attacks. oh and do warriors suffer damage drop off at 1500 range? No right? So why should we? Come on we’re assassins. We should do the most burst.

We got Snipe/Fire. :P

in Thief

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

Posted this skill set for thief rifle 3 months back.

1 Piercing Shot – Normal Auto Attack with direct line piercing.
While Stealthed – Ambush : Deals Heavy damage in a straight line, applies vulnerability.
2 Phosphorus Round – Ignites (burn) and blinds the enemy. 3 initiative
3 Heavy Caliber – Loads a heavy caliber round into the chamber. 1 second cast time, knocks down and cripples foe. Deals Large single target damage. 4 initiative
4 Roll into Cover – .5 second cast time, 3/4 second evade into 3 second stealth. 5 initiative
5 Take Aim – Character lies on the ground, aiming at target. “Holding” channel with 1 second intervals. 5 initiative
1 second – Wild Shot: Cripples Target. 2 seconds – Center Mass: Applies Vulnerability. 3 seconds – Headshot: Stuns target. Automatic critical and increase in applied base damage.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

You have a link to it?

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

@Original Poster.

your skill setup doesnt make sense for skill 1 (auto attack)

you A has to hit to get to B and B has to hit to get to C

if A…does hit then ur too close for B and then B is too close for C.

needs more thought.

interesting ideas tho

in Thief

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

ssnipe is interesting but also not thought of well.

12 init to start…… 7 to line up for snipe (5 left)

gives you 5 seconds to pick a target channel and fire? so 4 rounds? of which you do less and less dmg bc its initiative based dmg

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

1-skill isn’t a combo, its a ranged-determined attack. If it was, I would specify that it turns into <blank>. :P

And yeah, I liked the concept when I thought of it but I am not in charge of balancing… of course the skill wouldn’t be that great. So if you had to redesign it how would you do it?

in Thief

Posted by: Azraelle.1683

Azraelle.1683

I want a kittening sniper rifle, kittening slow but powerful and at least with 2000 range.

Thief/Guardian. Desolation [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: totalpwnage.6534

totalpwnage.6534

Shoot a piercing round that punches holes through armor and ignores armor ratings a little.

Damage: 220 (.35)
Armor Rating set to 1500.

HEY! I didn’t get 4k armour to laugh at GC’s just to have zerk thieves strip me of all my sexy toughness.

Happylittlevegemite of Darkhaven
Quick Load [LOAD]

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

HEY! I didn’t get 4k armour to laugh at GC’s just to have zerk thieves strip me of all my sexy toughness.

Like it would do any damage lol

in Thief

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

Rifle won’t work. End.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Thief

Posted by: SpaceCowboy.1398

SpaceCowboy.1398

Anything that gives us Thieves a viable 1200 range option I’m all for!

-Cowboy

Darmon, Asura Thief | Darmx, Asura Engineer
[EU] Gandara

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Nobody thinks this would be awesome?

in Thief

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

I lol’d at the shadow retreat part

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Tenzhine.8916

Tenzhine.8916

It will be cool all class use all weapons in the game except for the scepter for non magical class

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I actually would love that snipe skill. Although, charging it up from full initiative with 15 in Trickery would result in… +30% damage, 4200 range (WTF OP QQ HAX), and 5% bonus crit chance. Coupled with Hidden Killer and Ghillie Suit (or any stealth) and assuming you’re zerking all out would result in an undetectable critical hit for 6,603.92 damage against an opponent with 2000 armor. When I was doing the math I thought it would be more OP, but in all reality it could use double the base damage to even be on the same playing field as the warrior’s Kill Shot… Or backstab for that matter, and being rooted would justify it rightly, since you can hit far more with backstab while not rooted every ~4 secondsz

Actually it would be more like 16% Damage, 2600 range and 5% crit chance. You have to pay 7 initiative to line up your shot.

The Ghillie Suit should serve 2 functions: Setting up an ambush (main functions) and hiding to let the zerg go by. You can’t transition from Ghillie Suit to Snipe and vice versa because not only have you burned 12 initiative but you negated camouflage by switching.

As for damage, maybe a damage boost would work but I am not in charge of balancing this. I would rather let the devs look at it and figure it out. :P

in Thief

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

>skyrim memes

Gooby pls.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

in Thief

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

please go play cod.

Bad Elementalist

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

please go play cod.

I have. I got bored killing everyone with the SMR.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Updated with a few trait ideas!

in Thief

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Sniper rifles really don’t fit if you think about it. What kind of thief snipes? Very, very few I can think of in reality or in fiction. It runs against the spirit of the class which is infiltration, stealth and improvisation. The only theme it shares with a sniper is undetectability, but a lot of other completely unrelated GW2 things have that also going like the Snow Leopard elite.
If you think this is just a semantic argument (though flavor is important in GW and determining to some degree), it’s not, it’s definitely and more importantly a gameplay issue. A class with long-ranged, high single target DPS and stealth and the kind of escape options thief already has like teleports, plus the +x% damage traits we have, just screams overpowered and gimmicky.
Now a pump-action shotgun-like rifle for thief, keeping with the flavor and gameplay would be very nice.

Generally I am all for forcing thieves into close combat. If you get snipers, say bye-bye to high-risk high-reward gameplay in this class.

(Posted this a while ago on Reddit before I abandoned that trash site for good.)

(edited by Jamais vu.5284)

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I see what you are saying even though you did describe what snipers do on a mission. :P

It runs against the spirit of the class which is infiltration, stealth and improvisation.

Snipers normally must find vantage points in enemy territory without getting caught. In congested terrain like forests, snipers will usually add the environment to their ghillie suit which tends to be very effective camo.

in Thief

Posted by: Gutbuster.8745

Gutbuster.8745

I like this thread, since Anet mentioned they were working on a way for all profs to use all weapons, got me thinking, so I was just brainstorming with a buddy of mine over the weekend about how I’d like a thief rifle bar to look like.

To the OP, you pretty much nailed it as mine is extremely similar. I would however change your #3 skill Shadow Retreat thieves already got that skill on sword #2.

My suggestion would be something more along the lines of:
Insert good name here
Targetted AoE
Shadowstep to target area call in a thief companion on spot of origin that mimics all your moves for 5 seconds.

That decoy if you will doesn’t do any damage and has the hp of a critter.

I also would just keep the weapon to 1200 range and not include the different range mechanics of #1.

I also prefer KeyLimPi’s suggestion to the stealth skill over your Ghillie Suit, Roll into Cover – .5 second cast time, 3/4 second evade into 3 second stealth. 5 initiative

I also have to disagree with most of Jamais’s post. As far as ‘sniper’ style goes there’s no prof more suitable then the thief, I find it falls perfect in line with a thief’s ability to re-position himself on the battlefield and various tactics employed.

Shotgun is the absolute opposite of what a thief should have IMO, in fact shotgun is an engineer weapon and I believe I read somewhere that engineers was supposed to have a shotgun (blatantly obvious if you look at their rifle bar as well) before Anet had a change of heart and didn’t include it, don’t quote me on that though.

That said and with our opinion on flavor aside, what you (Jamais) is in essence saying is that it would be hard to balance such a weapon for a thief both because of class mechanics and to a certain degree the lack of cool downs/initiative mechanics, which I do agree with.

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I like this thread, since Anet mentioned they were working on a way for all profs to use all weapons, got me thinking, so I was just brainstorming with a buddy of mine over the weekend about how I’d like a thief rifle bar to look like.

To the OP, you pretty much nailed it as mine is extremely similar. I would however change your #3 skill Shadow Retreat thieves already got that skill on sword #2.

My suggestion would be something more along the lines of:
Insert good name here
Targetted AoE
Shadowstep to target area call in a thief companion on spot of origin that mimics all your moves for 5 seconds.

That decoy if you will doesn’t do any damage and has the hp of a critter.

I also would just keep the weapon to 1200 range and not include the different range mechanics of #1.

I also prefer KeyLimPi’s suggestion to the stealth skill over your Ghillie Suit, Roll into Cover – .5 second cast time, 3/4 second evade into 3 second stealth. 5 initiative

I also have to disagree with most of Jamais’s post. As far as ‘sniper’ style goes there’s no prof more suitable then the thief, I find it falls perfect in line with a thief’s ability to re-position himself on the battlefield and various tactics employed.

Shotgun is the absolute opposite of what a thief should have IMO, in fact shotgun is an engineer weapon and I believe I read somewhere that engineers was supposed to have a shotgun (blatantly obvious if you look at their rifle bar as well) before Anet had a change of heart and didn’t include it, don’t quote me on that though.

Sometimes Snipers would bring a shotgun with them just incase they get attacking in close quarters. You do have some good ideas though.

in Thief

Gutbuster.8745

Oh I know, the shotgun comment was aimed at thieves though, not snipers.

in Thief

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I welcome anything that gives me 1200 range on land.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Thief

Posted by: Azunai.5974

Azunai.5974

I fully support this thread. It’d finally motivate me to make a thief.

(I just can’t break the personal stigma against thieves – sorry)

I’m all for any rifle set that has actual sniping gameplay and mobility rather than warrior’s killshot spam. (the rest of its rifle kit doesn’t really mesh together)

A few things: Does snipe—>fire increase damage based on how much initiative spent in sniping stance, or is it total initiative spent? I think the damage should be increased a lot to warrant waiting that long for a full damage shot. Killshot on warrior is very easy to spam. Also, snipe should be renamed to aim.

I like the shadow return idea more than roll to stealth. Just something that would teleport at least once. (I’m used to slower professions and I’d love to take advantage of thief mobility)

Resident deaf elementalist – Tarnished Coast
Everyone needs a little optimism!

(edited by Azunai.5974)

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Its per ini spent in while in the stance.

in Thief

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

How does nuking from far away fit the current thief gameplay? That’s its antithesis.

And everyone is suggesting that it has high single target burst damage. How does this not make daggers obsolete?
Why should I, the most squishy physical class in the game, risk getting close to the target when I can be 90% as effective (or even more) from a 1200 range?

Shotgun is the absolute opposite of what a thief should have IMO

Why? If I think of a shotgun-wielding robber in a heist the image I have in mind is that of someone masked or hooded wearing a dark leather coat, just like your classic thief. They not only look the same, they have the same goals. Getting close to the target without being detected (stealth), infiltrating the objective (shadowstep/breaking in), stealing, and bursting down what gets in their way before quickly escaping.

ANet “renamed” Assassins from GW1 for a reason. They wanted to emphasize the gung-ho, break-in break-out, masked highway robber nature of the new class.
And even if they were called ‘sins (which I’d prefer), I’d still oppose a sniper rifle simply because it is impossible to reconcile it from a gameplay standpoint with burst-oriented classes.

in fact shotgun is an engineer weapon and I believe I read somewhere that engineers was supposed to have a shotgun (blatantly obvious if you look at their rifle bar as well) before Anet had a change of heart and didn’t include it, don’t quote me on that though.

You can have both. Hammers smash and CC for both warriors and guardians.
I wouldn’t call the Engi rifle a shotgun anyway, they’re more like a blunderbuss. When I said shotgun I also meant something with a range 600-900, which is even less than Engi rifle.

in Thief

Gutbuster.8745

Don’t get me wrong, I fully agree on the fact that there’s technical limitations and balance issues that causes some problems. We’re on the same page there.

What I do would like to see is a working rifle bar that does fit the thief. I mean shortbow is 900 range and (in essence) cleaves but no one is complaining that the shortbow is OP or doesn’t fit the thief style, in my opinion there’s nothing preventing thieves from getting a single target 1200 range weapon.

Our differences are those of flavor, you look at thief and see that shotgun wielding robber and attribute stealth and infiltration to getting closer to the mark. Honestly I agree, I can see that as well especially as you say with its current play style.

But looking forward and as Anet has already said they are looking into the possibility of all weapons for all professions, the game will develop and things will change and thus I also attribute stealth, infiltration etc to ‘snipers’ thus I hope the thief rifle bar would be sniper-esque.

(For the record I’d have preferred sins as well)

I used the word Shotgun loosely in regards to my engineer comment, blunderbuss is actually how I’ve described the engineer rifle bar to my mates since release.

There’s many turns this game can take and I would not be surprised if we do see a proper short range shotgun type of weapon added in the future. Distinctly different from rifle and pistols.

(edited by Gutbuster.8745)

in Thief

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

It will be cool all class use all weapons in the game except for the scepter for non magical class

There is no non-magical class. All classes use some form of magic

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

There is no non-magical class. All classes use some form of magic

So what kind of magic do engineers use that allows them to pull crates and kitten outta thin air?

in Thief

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

+1 for rifles on thieves!
(hell, we need more weapons, maybe they will get good skills)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

So I bring this thread to a warrior and they was liek “OMFG NO! STEALTHLONGRANGEBACKSTABNERF” and im liek “Amg just look at it” and they came back a few minutes later and was liek “meh…. its ok i guess”.

in Thief

Posted by: Azunai.5974

Azunai.5974

So I bring this thread to a warrior and they was liek “OMFG NO! STEALTHLONGRANGEBACKSTABNERF” and im liek “Amg just look at it” and they came back a few minutes later and was liek “meh…. its ok i guess”.

Pretty accurate. Similar response to my rifle elementalist thread….

Resident deaf elementalist – Tarnished Coast
Everyone needs a little optimism!

in Thief

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Charge: 1s

This seems unnecessarily complicated – the game already has ways around defense. Why not apply bleeding, or vulnerability?

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I did that mainly to introduce a new way of calculating damage and I don’t think its really complicated at all. All it does is calculate damage as though the target has 1500 armor.

But I see what you are saying. I didn’t make this apply conditions because alot of the players out there are playing in their -40% duration suits and having a weak skill apply conditions would only add this attack to the trash list.

in Thief

Posted by: Eodwen.2613

Eodwen.2613

Id really like rifles to be added as well. Have you posted this in suggestion box?

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

I wanna make sure my people won’t kill me for it.

in Thief

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I’ve been waiting for rifles on thieves for ages, and I’m pretty sure there’ve been threads about it now and then for a long time. Never bothered suggesting skills personally because I’m sure they’d come up with that on their own regardless, but thieves are singularly lacking in ranged options, and rifles can only be equipped to two(!) classes at the moment – seems both could use expanding.

in Thief

Posted by: wrango.2590

wrango.2590

One of the best ideas i’ve read in a while. Thanks for sharing, +1!

I used to be an adventurer like you, then i took a bullet in the knee..!

(edited by wrango.2590)

in Thief

Zacchary.6183

Updated trait ideas.

in Thief

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

thief with rifle? lul, might as well give it to ranger too while youre at it

Tanbin 80 Ranger