[Question] thief advanced tricks ?

in Thief

Posted by: Wargameur.6950

Wargameur.6950

Hey,

Just saw that video of Helseth on mesmer tricks, I was wondering if there was the same sort of advanced tricks that I didn’t know for thieves.

tricks I know so far:
- Camera looking down for more heartseekers into blackpowder
- Withdraw canceling with weapon swap( not really useful except in pve )
- Casting backstab after a shadow shot to land both

Are there any other things ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qipMu_1-oYk ( there is a thief trick in the video )

Edit : you can bait a dodge with canceled head shotsby stowing the weapons. ( can be useful in a 1v1 thief )

main ~ Esper Jace (Thief )/ Ellundril Jiluan
(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

(edited by Wargameur.6950)

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

Not really a trick but something I see newbs not doing is priming a steal. So many thieves steal then attack rather than start an attack and steal. Doesn’t work on all weapon sets but most targeted attacks with a wind up are prime candidates. Pistol Whip or CnD (when steal doesn’t stealth) are probably the best examples.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in Thief

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Umm I have a few but I wouldn’t call them ground breaking.

• Weakening charge and any kind of shadow step will make weakening charge spin in place. Hitting your target with all 3 hits.
  • Debilitating arc can be used to reduce the after cast of vault.
  • Shortbow 5 and bound dodge creates a psudo vault. Does good aoe blinds/dmg. Bonus points it you start or land in a field, it will count as a leap finisher as well.
  • Withdraw you can shorten distance with camera same way as heartseeker.
  • Lazy 4 stack stealth by alternating bound dodge and heartseeker (works with sb 2 as well but much harder). much less effort, works with action camera.
  • black powder + blinding powder is good quick aoe stealth.
  • a lot of people don’t realize that pistol whip has evade frames much like blurred frenzy.

The obvious steal combo’s precasting skills with steal ( or shadow step in general) makes it really hard to interrupt them. As the guy above stated pistol whip is a skill that really benefits from this. You can do it with all kinds of useful things on other sets. Such as blackpowder steal prevent hard hitting strikes (I like to do this for war arc divider). Another one I rarely see is black powder, bound dodge +steal into backstab.

Edit: one other thing, with pistol whip, it has a 180 arc in front of you and about a 60 arc behind you. Sometimes you can bait backstabs into the cone behind you.

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

(edited by Eval.2371)

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

Not really a trick but something I see newbs not doing is priming a steal. So many thieves steal then attack rather than start an attack and steal. Doesn’t work on all weapon sets but most targeted attacks with a wind up are prime candidates. Pistol Whip is probably the best example.

Is that also recommended for AA-chain ? I already do it with “special-skills”

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Eval.2371

Eval.2371

Not really a trick but something I see newbs not doing is priming a steal. So many thieves steal then attack rather than start an attack and steal. Doesn’t work on all weapon sets but most targeted attacks with a wind up are prime candidates. Pistol Whip is probably the best example.

Depends on the situation and the chain.

For example, I would do this on the end of a sword auto attack combo if I felt I needed to secure the kill. I might be tempted to do this on staff as well on the end. In contrast I wouldn’t do this on staff my target was ranged (because I could abuse the double cast for reflects) or on dagger because there is better skills to use with steal. I would never do this on sb or p/x

[Cya] TC Roamer/Scout
I Play WvW to have fun. I don’t find it fun anymore. Therefore I don’t play.

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

I sometimes jump→dodge→Shadowstep in mid air off of a wall or ledge to land the Shadowstep circle on an opposing ledge or wall to extend the distance and for vertical access Spiderman style. I’ve seen someone do it far better in a video but I forget who it was. You can do Steal and infiltrators Strike similarly so never assume someone got out of your reach.

I jump/Flanking Strike so that I do the half moon spin up in the air instead of on flat ground so that objects or terrain wont hold me up, but it can send you off a high place if you’re not careful.

Kash
NSP

in Thief

Posted by: babazhook.6805

babazhook.6805

Needle trap is lovely here using this tactic for either power build or condition. Precast needle and steal. Time it right and it lands right on the enemy giving a three second immob. PW can follow.

If you have trappers respite traited you can precast your heal and steal to the enemy allowing you that heal and its effects along with dropping a needle trap on target. This can work with Withdraw wherein if you steal at the right time in the withdraw, you proc the heal and cleanses but in essence withdraw on top the enemy with that needle trap dropped.

(edited by babazhook.6805)

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Needle trap is lovely here using this tactic for either power build or condition. Precast needle and steal. Time it right and it lands right on the enemy giving a three second immob. PW can follow.

If you have trappers respite traited you can precast your heal and steal to the enemy allowing you that heal and its effects along with dropping a needle trap on target. This can work with Withdraw wherein if you steal at the right time in the withdraw, you proc the heal and cleanses but in essence withdraw on top the enemy with that needle trap dropped.

I used this with Caltrops followed by Scorp Wire. Typically, the initial response to a Caltrops is to dodge out of it. The casting time on Scorp Wire timed the dodge really well by connecting just right after the evade frame, basically pulling the target back in adding more stacks of bleed and cripple.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Posted by: ErebusVindictus.6514

ErebusVindictus.6514

Quick thing for Infiltrator’s Arrow -
Aiming at the corner of a cliff will (most of the time) let you jump up the cliff.
Dunno if you get what I mean, but hope it helps!

NA – Teef main – IGN Tensatsu
Kittenhunters are mean.
Warriors rock.

in Thief

Posted by: Fernshade.9016

Fernshade.9016

Want d/p to stealth like d/d? If you are in steal range drop your black powder and cast heartseeker, press steal right after and you will land mug and heartseeker while remaining in stealth since the stealth from a leap finisher is applied after the animation.

Ehmry Bay | Omg Brb Icecream Truck [ICEE]

in Thief

Posted by: Taobella.6597

Taobella.6597

biggest one i think of off the top of my head with out making extramly long list is forward back stab made a video on it a long time ago. basically when you pass threw a player you have 15 range – hit box detection allow you hit the back with out turning around.

in Thief

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

biggest one i think of off the top of my head with out making extramly long list is forward back stab made a video on it a long time ago. basically when you pass threw a player you have 15 range – hit box detection allow you hit the back with out turning around.

Now you’ve done it. I still want them to think that counting to 3 is the best strategy. :/

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

in Thief

Taobella.6597

Now you’ve done it. I still want them to think that counting to 3 is the best strategy. :/

More the reason you use it if you are crippled to run around them it take 3 seconds to run threw them take 2 seconds so if you are untraited for stealth it net you enough time to backstab with out having to take shadow art.

in Thief

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Use the Action Camera. Have an accessable keybind (mine is T) to turn it off for calling targets or selecting a target around a corner. You lose the ability to control the length of heartseekers, but gain greater character control and camera control. You’ll never miss a bp+4hs stealth combo and can quickly swap in and out of action cam for team stealth and skill utilities/manual targeting.

(edited by Viking Jorun.5413)

in Thief

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

-experimental: if you dodge right after you cast the shadow strike, you’ll shadowstep in mid evasion. I’m still running different test to achieve optimal damage.
-if you steal immediately after casting backstabs, it will register the backstab before mug.
-this is risky in pvp but you can use shadow reffuge as a decoy to either escape 1vX fights or baiting in sneak attacks. Just be sure to cast it far away from you while in stealth.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

(edited by cyberzombie.7348)

in Thief

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

This is a tip for those using SA and stealth on steal. If you dodge and steal it will interrupt your auto attack and prevent yourself from accidentally revealing yourself and wasting the stealth.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

in Thief

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

This is a tip for those using SA and stealth on steal. If you dodge and steal it will interrupt your auto attack and prevent yourself from accidentally revealing yourself and wasting the stealth.

Or you could turn off auto cast auto attack which doesn’t waste a dodge.

in Thief

Posted by: Terissimo.6852

Terissimo.6852

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

Nice video, I knew most of them, but the stow mechanics were what I was looking for.
I ’m quite surprised by your turn around, how do you do it ? Is that using the free cam ?

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

I jump/Flanking Strike so that I do the half moon spin up in the air instead of on flat ground so that objects or terrain wont hold me up, but it can send you off a high place if you’re not careful.

Interesting, that’s one trick I can’t really pull of consistently. How do you do this?

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

Posted by: kash.9213

kash.9213

Interesting, that’s one trick I can’t really pull of consistently. How do you do this?

It’s not reliable enough even when you get used to the timing but it’s a little easier with my keybinds, I have skill 3 on Left Ctrl so that I can lean my bottom left palm on it because I don’t like lifting my hands and fingers too much and soft press that plus spacebar jump at the same time. It’s sort of the same way you might jump+core spec dodge to clear a small curb or rock which you might do by pressing spacebar+V at the same time. I only use it in tight fights with topography that would hold me still so I don’t melt in a zerg vs zerg or something.

Between combat lag and the way skills can queue up or cancel it can’t be spammed, I wouldn’t bank on it, it’s more of a “what else do I have anyway” thing.

Kash
NSP

(edited by kash.9213)

in Thief

Posted by: Vornollo.5182

Vornollo.5182

It’s not reliable enough even when you get used to the timing but it’s a little easier with my keybinds, I have skill 3 on Left Ctrl so that I can lean my bottom left palm on it because I don’t like lifting my hands and fingers too much and soft press that plus spacebar jump at the same time. It’s sort of the same way you might jump+core spec dodge to clear a small curb or rock which you might do by pressing spacebar+V at the same time. I only use it in tight fights with topography that would hold me still so I don’t melt in a zerg vs zerg or something.

Between combat lag and the way skills can queue up or cancel it can’t be spammed, I wouldn’t bank on it, it’s more of a “what else do I have anyway” thing.

I see, seems like it’s just a general issue with it not being too reliable then. Cheers!

[PUSH] Constant Pressure

in Thief

Posted by: Joel.8705

Joel.8705

My tips besides those u metioned is ofc precast backstab and stow wepons on shadow shot to stay in stealth and land backstab fast. And jump on infiltrator’s arrow makes it easier to not get stuck or get over ledges.

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

When leaving out Foefire gate you can cast clusterbomb to the corner right before mid point, dodge in there, pout down black powder and blast it again. The first clusterbomb will reach the blackpowder point right when you get there basically giving you one extra blast for team stealth.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in Thief

Taobella.6597

I see, seems like it’s just a general issue with it not being too reliable then. Cheers!

Just be aware if you use Air mech it add to after cast animation if you try to combo it with a second Chain air move you have to wait longer then you would if you directly cast it on the ground. Main reason you would use Air mech skill would be to use it with heart seeker or a some kinda leap mech it change arc type Most noticeable in Fiery GS on ele with there spin to win move.

in Thief

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

If you jump while casting sw2 and q smth up after then you wont be ported back on casting the flipped skill.
ohh wait someone patched it couse s/d and s/p was to broken……….

in Thief

babazhook.6805

One I just encountered today that I was not aware of. I am not sure how it can be applied to give an advantage in game but it was sort of neat.

I had set a shadowtrap some distance away from where I later got into a fight. I had a warrior with rifle pew pewing me from range so used Daggerstorm to reflect. As I was doing that he switched to melee and charged. Meanwhile someone tripped my shadowtrap so I clicked the pursuit. I had thought it would interrupt my daggerstrom but I poofed to my trap and when I reappeared I was still in my daggerstorm with 15 might stacks.

in Thief

Wargameur.6950

One I just encountered today that I was not aware of. I am not sure how it can be applied to give an advantage in game but it was sort of neat.

I had set a shadowtrap some distance away from where I later got into a fight. I had a warrior with rifle pew pewing me from range so used Daggerstorm to reflect. As I was doing that he switched to melee and charged. Meanwhile someone tripped my shadowtrap so I clicked the pursuit. I had thought it would interrupt my daggerstrom but I poofed to my trap and when I reappeared I was still in my daggerstorm with 15 might stacks.

To do a shadow step, no matter which one you use, never breaks your current action.

(mesmer ) – EU [Teef]

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

To do a shadow step, no matter which one you use, never breaks your current action.

Correct if it has no cast time. The manual reactivation of the trap when teleporting early prevents this since it has a lengthy cast time attached to it.

in Thief

babazhook.6805

I was aware with that using all of the steal tricks, but it had never occurred to me to use with the shadowtrap. That said, I am going to try and see if I can use many of the tricks I use with that steal shadowstep with the shadowtrap. The targetting might be an issue

There is that ten seconds so in theory once triggered I can start my needle trap, respond to a trigger ,port and immobilize along with stealth, fury 20 might stacks and 10 vuln at once.

in Thief

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Odds are they’ll be outside the trap radius/line once it lands, though, unless you just happen to get the angle right where the trap and their movement direction vectors are collinear.

in Thief

babazhook.6805

Odds are they’ll be outside the trap radius/line once it lands, though, unless you just happen to get the angle right where the trap and their movement direction vectors are collinear.

Yes I considered that> I am not thinking of it so much in a 1v1 . I WvW mostly and have taken to using shadowtrap in the middle of a melee as it generally always tripped. In those instances the person tripping it tends to be engaged with another.

It a balancing act and means I have to be extra aware of all that goes on around me but I have used it without that preload of another skill to lay some serious hurt on enemies focused on an enemy. Even if I do miss getting the needle on that needle is still there and it will likely trigger by that person who turns to engage me in any case so it not a waste. It will depend a lot on exactly where he stands in that trap and where I ported to.

Given the second trap will be dropped while stealthed he will not be aware it there.

(edited by babazhook.6805)