Thief - work or not?

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: BakuBear.9401

BakuBear.9401

Q:

Hello i started play from thurdasy and now i have 58lvl on thief. I have question for you guys, thief is still good on PvP, WvW and GvG? I readed some topics and I have mixed feelings…

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

Thief is definitely pretty strong atm. It takes some learning, but a master thief is a really great asset to a team. I say stick with it.

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: Kirochique.9186

Kirochique.9186

I you stick with it and do some experimenting you’ll eventually find yourself very surprised when you loose a 1v1, it takes practice but you can get really really good.

Jhadir the Charr Thief (ET) EradonTerrace
All the dodge!

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

[PvP]
The amount of skill required to play something like the d/p meta build gone really low. Till the best source of damge comes from Impacting Disruption the skill floor gonna stay low so you dont have to worry, it’s really unlikely that they gonna change that trait in the near future.
On lover levels people wont be able to line of sight you while executing key abilitys and combos, which means you gonna have a fun time getting better with thief.

you can start with learning all the profession combos in pve. stealth combos, precast -> steal combos and such.
I’d follow with going on wiki and learning all the text of other classes weapon skills to know what to expect from a LB guard etc. Then you can pair up the skills with the animations.
Second and most important step is to know and count with all the passive procs. This is really difficult and this is going to get you nightmares(lol nightmare runes). You should know what passives proc when on specific builds and how to deal with them example: you time cc to shut down engi right after pasive mini ends, insta stunbreak eye for an eye, dont try to steal burst into nightmare runes etc…
Use brain before deciding where to rotate, be ware for decaps w/o leaveing team in crucial situation etc….

if you know these you are ready to thief in ranked. there are no serious needs of skill. If the opponent has a better thief you should just stealth camp and rotate on him, thats it.
EDIT: ^^ To finally answer your question: yes thief is decent in PvP at the moment. They are really fun to use in WvW for solo or duo roaming. In GvG scenarios they see good use in well coordianted ~3man groups if enough space is present for the encounter, like Obsi sanctum arena, borderland scrim spots. I know noone tho who uses thief in guild hall gvgs tho, place is too small even for staff eles

(edited by MadVisions.4529)

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

^^thinks thief is easy to play because he mains sd and hates dp

meanwhile i am watching majority of dp thieves camping downstate 24/7 in ranked lol

@OP: thief is in decent state atm. It is one of the least noob friendly classes but if you invest time in it it can be pretty fun. Do not expect to hypercarry in ranked though, regardless all the nerfs to other classes thief still heavily relies on team doing well.

Pve: anything works in pve, i think staff is meta for raids atm.

WvW: didn’t touch it for ages~

One thing though, daredevil is mandatory if you want to compete in higher ranked pvp and do raids.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: iZakari.1076

iZakari.1076

Speaking from a WvW perspective: The thief is in a good spot right now!

For Zerging: The class is meant for ganking so don’t expect to be running into 50-man blobs with the front-line and come out alive. Dance on the sides and pick off whoever is out of position.

For Roaming: You may have a hard time at first due to all the passive damage mitigation every class has nowadays but you’ll absolutely be able to win fights after learning and practicing. Like the posts above me said, the thief has a pretty high learning curve but if you are willing to tough it out then it’s really fun. Just be smart about your plays/the fights you pick and you’ll be fine.

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

sPvP… still under performs compared to the meta builds. Good news is the strongest builds saw minor nerfs allowing the thief to finally return in a minor way.

GvG… the Venom Share builds are acceptable but no other build IMO is worth even considering.

WvW Roaming/Scouting… probably the best class in the game. Dare Devil is IMO clearly the best class elite for this role. The best by a very large margin… again IMO.

WvW Dueling… against the heavy AoE, CC and bunker builds few thief builds stand up against equally skilled opponents.

WvW Small Scale… OK but doesn’t really elevate other builds outside of Venom Share.

WvW Large Scale… Mostly useless. Again we have venom share but without good squad organization mostly goes to waste

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

It works, but sometimes it really sucks in PvP, if you’re against a team of Engis and DH, needless to say you’ll have to switch because of terrible matchups, unless your team have good skill/composition to counter them…

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

^^thinks thief is easy to play because he mains sd and hates dp

meanwhile i am watching majority of dp thieves camping downstate 24/7 in ranked lol

@OP: thief is in decent state atm. It is one of the least noob friendly classes but if you invest time in it it can be pretty fun. Do not expect to hypercarry in ranked though, regardless all the nerfs to other classes thief still heavily relies on team doing well.

Pve: anything works in pve, i think staff is meta for raids atm.

WvW: didn’t touch it for ages~

One thing though, daredevil is mandatory if you want to compete in higher ranked pvp and do raids.

I don’t think he meant that. Thief is hard to play in a compitent lvl or vs touch comp But d/p is ‘easier’ then s/d for sure, or other melee power based builds.

And that trait has also made things a bit easier for all thief builds, not just d/p – be it tactical strike, steal, bs/impact strike anything you interupt randomly or legit, it is still an extra ‘free’ 3.6k dmg which is a bit silly imo.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

(edited by Fat Disgrace.4275)

Thief - work or not?

in Thief

Posted by: yiksing.9432

yiksing.9432

Thief is my first character and always any rogue like class in any other game. I say stick with it and make/play YOUR build. Many people says d/p is the best at the moment, with what it offers I tend to agree with this but I am one of those few people who sucked badly at d/p mainly due to slow ping and other unknown reasons at least to myself so i run s/d atm. The thief profession is basically a low floor high ceiling skill profession. A same build played by a good player vs a bad player makes a huge difference. With what the profession has to offer, initiative based and stealth and teleport, it all depends on the player to make the best of it.