in Thief

Posted by: alchemyst.2165

alchemyst.2165

like and subscribe or don’t ur choice really

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: MadVisions.4529

MadVisions.4529

while the gameplay is good, i can’t dodge the fact that the design flaws in doing major damage while negating damage is hurting the game in every aspect.
The video is gr8, i still cant enjoy it due to the above mentioned aspect.

I hope one day ANet gonna employ people who are capable and willing to develop this diverse game in its every aspect.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

I hope one day ANet gonna employ people who are capable and willing to develop this diverse game in its every aspect.

i’m afraid that time as come and gone, along time ago.

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

while the gameplay is good, i can’t dodge the fact that the design flaws in doing major damage while negating damage is hurting the game in every aspect.
The video is gr8, i still cant enjoy it due to the above mentioned aspect.

Without context, I would agree, however, relatively speaking it’s pretty much needed. And it’s not necessarily doing damage while negating damage; dodges have frames that you can interrupt, and you can walk away/kite away from bound. The reason it’s so effective is because people don’t realize that to counter it, you have to change up your gameplay choices. With other classes, you always have a definitive answer. If a warrior endure pains, you can apply condi. If a guardian blocks, use unblockable. The thief is different in the sense that its defense is mostly based on active defense, unlike other classes. Everything during a fight with a thief, both for and against it, is based on simply your mechanical gameplay choices.

And thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: Fat Disgrace.4275

Fat Disgrace.4275

how can you say that? acro/DD staff is just as lame as condi D/D thief…if not worse, it rely on rotating staff #3bound #3#3 bound #4 and the odd #5 staff. you have d/p as 2nd set for even more easy mode. you also have traits proc inative and other effects if you randomly evade an attack (I am talk about the out numbered bits here, opfc you are going to be fueled)

Fat Disgrace (banned) Man Flu Survivor – war/The Cabbage -Thief (gunners hold / [TaG])

gw1 – healing signet/frenzy/charge

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: NationalNacho.5972

NationalNacho.5972

Nice Clips fam.

For those hating on the 5 or so acro clips just go back and watch the numerous DA clips. Pay attention to the steal timings and impact plays on both acro and DA. It’s easy to sit back and flame a safer build, but to dismiss the skill shown in the video is ludicrous.

Reckless – Thief
Ferocious Arsenal Of Resolve [FEAR]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChg8ABMSXkTqMTbL4vgUyAg

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

dodges have frames that you can interrupt

Dodges have frames that you can interrupt on thief, because thief has the easiest to use lowest skilled, most forgiving, interrupts in the game that are ranged, instant (or nearly instant for some) and are plentiful on something like d/p thief, on some classes/builds it is literally impossible to interrupt in a specific point of a frame other than getting lucky.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

how can you say that? acro/DD staff is just as lame as condi D/D thief…if not worse, it rely on rotating staff #3bound #3#3 bound #4 and the odd #5 staff. you have d/p as 2nd set for even more easy mode. you also have traits proc inative and other effects if you randomly evade an attack (I am talk about the out numbered bits here, opfc you are going to be fueled)

Well condi d/d is pretty gimmicky and isn’t hard to fight imo, but with acro staff the thing that people don’t get is that you’re not supposed to attack very often, and when you do, you need to bait out their dodges.

When fighting a good staff thief, a lot of them will bound then staff 3. This is a frame tight evade, meaning you cant interrupt between them, however, staff 3 has a clear window after the roll that you can hit them. It just takes focus to fight an evade thief, and it’s a learning process. I can make a video of me on an alt fighting a guildie if you’d like.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

dodges have frames that you can interrupt

Dodges have frames that you can interrupt on thief, because thief has the easiest to use lowest skilled, most forgiving, interrupts in the game that are ranged, instant (or nearly instant for some) and are plentiful on something like d/p thief, on some classes/builds it is literally impossible to interrupt in a specific point of a frame other than getting lucky.

Really? I’ve found it pretty easy to use skills like headbutt on other thieves. It just takes practice.

You are right though, it is much easier to do on thief.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: Elxdark.9702

Elxdark.9702

Well condi d/d is pretty gimmicky and isn’t hard to fight imo, but with acro staff the thing that people don’t get is that you’re not supposed to attack very often, and when you do, you need to bait out their dodges.

When fighting a good staff thief, a lot of them will bound then staff 3. This is a frame tight evade, meaning you cant interrupt between them, however, staff 3 has a clear window after the roll that you can hit them. It just takes focus to fight an evade thief, and it’s a learning process. I can make a video of me on an alt fighting a guildie if you’d like.

in that case good thieves will just exploit staff 3 + jump so people will not notice the dodge animation.

it seems that the whole fear guild is defending this build for some reason maybe it’s the 1v1 god potential…. anyway i’d like to hear how to counter staff 3 jump spam along with bounds, and please don’t say “don’t attack” lul.

Don’t take this as personal, there are really good thieves using acro staff and one can’t deny that but this build hurts the game and more importantly creates bad atmosphere for players.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Elxdark.9702

Tbh there’s one thing i’d nerf, staff 3 does a lot of damage while evading and crippling the foe, this skill along with bound is the main source of damage of GOOD staff thieves, bad ones will just randomly spam vault.

Just compare sb 3 with staff 3 both skills were meant to be defensive skills and one does the job but the other does a lot more than that.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

i just dont understand how you trigger the weapon swap sigil for 3 crits (forgot the name) constantly without even swapping your weapon.

or am i kittened? :o

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Elxdark.9702

i just dont understand how you trigger the weapon swap sigil for 3 crits (forgot the name) constantly without even swapping your weapon.

or am i kittened? :o

It’s the daredevil rune which gives you a crit every time you press the dodge key in combat.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

in that case good thieves will just exploit staff 3 + jump so people will not notice the dodge animation.

it seems that the whole fear guild is defending this build for some reason maybe it’s the 1v1 god potential…. anyway i’d like to hear how to counter staff 3 jump spam along with bounds, and please don’t say “don’t attack” lul.

Don’t take this as personal, there are really good thieves using acro staff and one can’t deny that but this build hurts the game and more importantly creates bad atmosphere for players.

If all a thief was doing was bound -> staff 3, they’d quickly run out of initiative, assuming you didn’t hit them after the staff 3, which is a fairly easy frame to hit. As for staff 3 jump spam, assuming you’re not a thief, it depends on the class. Depending on what your main defense is, IE damage reduction, healing, blocks, you can take a few hits of it. You usually won’t need to try and avoid the whole thing. Kiting and not overreacting to a staff thief is key.

Let me give an example. If I’m playing a warrior and I’m fighting a staff thief, I don’t have to try and dodge every single bound. That’s what a good thief will exploit. As a warrior I could GS 3 away, block with mace 2, time a shield bash or daze so it hits between staff 3’s, kite it, or just tank the whole thing and wait for them to run out of resources. Play smart and calmly.

A lot of the reason people complain, and even complain about it being op, is that a lot of what makes the build good is that it causes players to tilt and overreact to its offense.

One thing I would agree with is a slight damage nerf to staff 3, however. You do make a good point about it being very strong vs sb 3.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: SlitheSlivier.1908

SlitheSlivier.1908

One thing of sb3 vs staff 3 is that with sb, once you are distanced, you can attack your target and deal damage with pretty much all your attacks. With staff 3, sure you create distance, but you have to get back into the thick to deal more damage. To me, this more than justifies staff 3 doing more damage.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Elxdark.9702

One thing of sb3 vs staff 3 is that with sb, once you are distanced, you can attack your target and deal damage with pretty much all your attacks. With staff 3, sure you create distance, but you have to get back into the thick to deal more damage. To me, this more than justifies staff 3 doing more damage.

You can’t even compare the damage which produces sb vs staff, it would be fine if staff 3 didn’t hit so hard, I can’t agree that the distance the skill does justifies the damage.

One slightly nerf would put the damage from staff 4 in staff 3, look at staff 4 does fair damage blinds and has range, staff 3 is a dodge that does good dps removes immob and also cripples the foe, this would be ok if the damage wasn’t that high, remember that this is a defensive skill I think the devs thought this will be only used more like an escape skill than a dps combo.

Also as I have said, good thieves will just staff 3+jump so 1.- they avoid the dodge animation and distance and 2.- they keep pressuring the target.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Elxdark.9702

If all a thief was doing was bound -> staff 3, they’d quickly run out of initiative, assuming you didn’t hit them after the staff 3, which is a fairly easy frame to hit. As for staff 3 jump spam, assuming you’re not a thief, it depends on the class. Depending on what your main defense is, IE damage reduction, healing, blocks, you can take a few hits of it. You usually won’t need to try and avoid the whole thing. Kiting and not overreacting to a staff thief is key.

Let me give an example. If I’m playing a warrior and I’m fighting a staff thief, I don’t have to try and dodge every single bound. That’s what a good thief will exploit. As a warrior I could GS 3 away, block with mace 2, time a shield bash or daze so it hits between staff 3’s, kite it, or just tank the whole thing and wait for them to run out of resources. Play smart and calmly.

A lot of the reason people complain, and even complain about it being op, is that a lot of what makes the build good is that it causes players to tilt and overreact to its offense.

One thing I would agree with is a slight damage nerf to staff 3, however. You do make a good point about it being very strong vs sb 3.

Maybe I expressed wrong when I said spam, but I’m talking about good thieves not those that will just use the skill till they run out of initiative. I’m talking about those that timing their skills carefully and know the initiative management.

For those if you give them even more resources to keep doing more and more dodges while doing damage at the same time it becomes really hard to justify it, and the only 1v1 that comes to my mind that does have a chance vs staff acro is dh, if same skill it would be a 60/40 for the thief if not it would be almost 100/0.

You said kiting but the thief can kite and very well too, needless to say if you use dp/staff you can just switch to dp wait for heal and keep fighting.

I agree that you can beat acro thieves but there isn’t a counter to them, all it takes is your mechanical skill and don’t panic when dueling acro thieves, if you take meta builds for example you can see that everyone has a counter, necro has mes, mes still struggles vs thieves, dh has druid, druid has war, war I personally think this one is a little hard to fight but not for the build or skill but passives it has too many passives that makes it hard to fight.

But if you see thieves in general they don’t have a counter, dp dash if played well shouldn’t die and acro staff shouldn’t die either unless they run into a 1v2-1v3 for more than one minute.
I think this is more like a problem with the class than the build itself, but yeah that’s my entire point.. that when you have thief builds like this it becomes a problem.

I really don’t know why they nerfed rev so hard, it was a fair 1v1 vs thief and the only one that could actually keep the pace vs it.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

alchemyst.2165

So what you’re saying is, if you play the build well, you should win.

Makes sense to me.

But I haven’t really experienced the other issues you’ve stated. When I’m on a class that I know at least decently I can kill guildies using acro staff with it. Honestly it’s just based on mechanical skill and knowledge of the thief; you don’t need to be amazing at the class you’re playing.

[Video] Staff Roaming 5

in Thief

Posted by: SlitheSlivier.1908

SlitheSlivier.1908

I disagree to some posts above that say acro builds don’t have counters because they do. I’ve run into some builds that just kick butt. Generally for across I find it being aoe’s like marks, traps, and DoT aoe skills like ones eles have. Staff is not a sure-fire win against every build. Most, probably, but there are builds that have less counters out there, not to mention it isn’t even the best thief build.
The thing I find ppl hate about it is that they get frustrated missing so many attacks, even tho they don’t need to hit with many to kill. Also ppl naturally are adverse to change, and am evade build works so much differently than others that you have to change and adapt your play style to win against it. People just refuse to adapt, and those are the easy kills for the thief.