Why did you choose Thief first?

in Thief

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Assassin was my main in GW1, high DPS low HP/Def has always been my fave class though. But only if they were melee, I hate ranged classes or mages…

in Thief

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Well I was going to go ranger but got bored very quickly.
Generally speaking I like thieves and assassins in games. I like traps and I like being fast, mobile and ducking in at out of melee.

in Thief

Posted by: Lifeson.4352

Lifeson.4352

Started an elementalist, got bored at level 3, lol. What can I say, cooldowns vs a resource system like initiative? No brainer, really.

in Thief

Posted by: Otso.1267

Otso.1267

I’m the rare rogue that’s a team player. I love the support available in the class. I love that I’m not limited to a burst-damage-from-nowhere playstyle (though I appreciate it’s an option).

I don’t think you’re quite as rare as you think. I would rather play a thief that dazes, stuns, blinds, etc. ; however, does kitteny damage.

not all those who wander are lost

in Thief

Posted by: Eleith.2653

Eleith.2653

well ive just got this game but i’ve been a ‘rogue’ since vanilla wow ^-^

in Thief

Posted by: Eihder.8961

Eihder.8961

Stupidly op, knew this in beta when i noticed ‘stealth’. Yet to see a balanced game mechanic with that word in it. Proven correct so far lol

in Thief

Posted by: Dervy.7901

Dervy.7901

Saw how sexy the female armour skins were and I had to get a thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Galsia.4102

Galsia.4102

I didn’t choose the thief life.

The thief life chose me.

Thief | Warrior | Engineer
Galsia | Jäshin | Çyndelle
[KK] – Henge of Denravi

in Thief

Posted by: Brutalistik.6473

Brutalistik.6473

Because I knew in pvp from looking at GW2 videos I can get away with murder using the stealth build while moving around not being touch.

Pineapples

in Thief

Posted by: Rystlwulf.1476

Rystlwulf.1476

Thief was my second toon actually.

Lvl 80 Ranger
Lvl 80 Thief
Lvl 80 Mesmer

The funny thing is, out of the three and 1v1, the Mesmer is the most powerful class. Sure I’ll die on my Mesmer to a thief if he gets the jump on me with Basilisk Venom, but in every other situation I’m going to win.

What’s worse, chances are I’m going to win most fights 1 v 2 on the Mesmer – best result so far was a running fight with me and another Mesmer against 6 Ebay guys and the Hyleks. Okay 3 of the 6 were less than 80 but we cleaned them all up and the Hylek spawn as well. And the three stealths on the Mesmer make finishing a breeze.

Maguuma Rystlwulf – 80 Ranger
Ryst Stryden – 80 Thief
Rystle – 80 Mesmer

in Thief

Posted by: Psychomaniack.1953

Psychomaniack.1953

Since I started playing AD&D at the age of 13 years old, I’ve always played something close to a thief/rogue.

On my first MMO (EverQuest), I played a bard, jack of all trades, master of none. I’ve always like the way thief/bard/rogue plays.

Being able to stealth, attack someone, stun them, put bleed on them. That’s the kind of combat I like…well for a melee character.

I like the thief class, it’s fun, but I think something is missing. It’s alot of fun, but I’m quite tired of doing the same skill over and over and over since the beginning of the game. I dont play Pistols (dont like the style nor the way it felt), shortbow is good while in group, did not find any good sword (I always find daggers with better stats, dont ask me why)… so I’ve been using D/D since the beginning. We dont have enough skills to use… I mean, thiefs/bards"rogues have always been the classes with the most skills on the skill bars, making you able to change a fight. Right now, I just feel like a 1 button smasher. But hey, at least I can do cool moves!

in Thief

Posted by: EvilStepQueen.1293

EvilStepQueen.1293

In the original GW I loved playing as a Necro. I tried Assassin and it just didn’t feel right. It was reversed for me in GW2. I liked the rhythm of the gameplay, the armors, the look in general, of the Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Sin.4902

Sin.4902

I chose thief because it looks the most interesting. I only made it to level 16 in the last beta, and it was fun. It felt incredibly weak when I first played it in pve. I didn’t actually learn the class until official release, but I stuck with it.

It_Rained [Choo]
Sanctum of Rall

in Thief

Posted by: Professor Sensei.2941

Professor Sensei.2941

Played sin the entire time I played GW1. Ever since factions just fit my play style.

Professor Sensei – Thief
Everything Purple

in Thief

Posted by: Alnear Leavar.7453

Alnear Leavar.7453

I chose thief cos I love sneaky and high mobility classes. Also I love the dynamic playstile of thief in PvE. And the cool hookittenep on transmuting every few levels :P

in Thief

Posted by: Xiomaro.2563

Xiomaro.2563

I started with Necromancer in BWE1, didn’t get on with it well in PvE (although I still like it in PvP)

I tried Warrior and liked it a lot more…

Then I saw this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IogrJbCsUE4

Gameplay looks crap now but at the time it was really fun to watch compared to any other class. And I really do like having high mobility… It’s always been something I’ve valued in a class.

in Thief

Posted by: lunaticat.4216

lunaticat.4216

The fast paced and mobile gameplay got me hooked. Standing still is just not the way I like to play games.

When I started learning inliner driving, a friend once told me “speed is security”. Fits the thief nicely.

in Thief

Posted by: chocomamma.1539

chocomamma.1539

I leveled a ranger to 80 first and then decided to try the thief out. Asuran thief with p/p nuff said She looks so cute in her trenchcoat and the she pops out the pistols and it looks like she just popped out of the matrix

“Insert enemy name here” eat lead pew pew pew :p

in Thief

Posted by: Kyus.3812

Kyus.3812

mobility! I loved the idea of the sword in mh but it was a shame it was so lackluster, it is definately one of the strongest wvw classes at the moment so that was a bonus.

Kyús – 80 – Guardian// All Classes Level 80
Hand of Blood [HoB]
EU – Aurora Glade

in Thief

Posted by: Katsumoto.9452

Katsumoto.9452

I looked at class skills and saw signet of shadows. Once you use signet of shadows there is no going back.

Aurora Glade [EU]

in Thief

Posted by: Zealot.2308

Zealot.2308

When I played the beta and found the Warrior class wasnt my cup of tea, I went for my next favorite thing.

in Thief

Posted by: Xyrm.5602

Xyrm.5602

Keep in mind, all the below are 80’s in full exotic gear.

I made a ranger first, and found it exceedingly boring (and plagued with awful pet mechanics, plus longbow at max range can be avoided simply by walking perpendicular to the range).

Then I made a mesmer. LOVED it. Unique, very bursty (play a GS + S/S shatter build) character with lots of unique utility.

Then I made a GS warrior for dungeons, because both of the above were lacking. It was incredibly strong in PvE, but also incredibly boring and easy. There’s no finesse to the class.

Finally thief. I feel in love with this class by level 5. It just FEELS fluid, and the initiative management is just so much better than pure cooldowns. It also felt INCREDIBLY squishy, but it just made me play better and learn how to counter better. I don’t use the cookie cutter burst build; rather, I rock D/D + SB with a 0/30/20/0/20 build for high stealth uptime and group buffs as well as more survivability than pure glass cannon builds. It is without question my favorite character, and I’m expecting the nerfs shouldn’t hurt me much since I don’t abuse specific overpowered ability combos.

My Stealthy Thief:

http://tinyurl.com/adjw3ww

in Thief

Posted by: Phoenix the One.4071

Phoenix the One.4071

Firstly I thought thief.. ain’t gonna be my cup of tea..

But then when I got bored on my Guardian, me and a friend tried all professions out in sPvP.
I loved the inniative-system, even though it is hidden CDs, it made me feel, and still does, like I was in control. I decided how often I would use my ability, and didn’t have to resort to a second best option due to one of my skills was on a CD.
Also shadowstep and the overall mobility.. I hated that my guardian was soooo slow..

So since then I played thief… the dmg? Well still feel that my guardian does a bit more in his survival build contra my thiefs buils, but he is still too slow xD

If they nerf thief to oblivion I might go Ele, just for ride on lightning xD nearly as awesome as shadowstepping.

in Thief

Posted by: ZLE.8293

ZLE.8293

OK now let me see…
UO—>necro fencer
Diablo 2—>Assassin
Knight Online—>Rogue
WoW—>Rogue/Feral Druid
GW—>Warrior in Prophesies/Assassin since Factions
Aion—>Scout
Rift—>Assassin/Nightblade
GW2—>Owerpowered Condition Thief with perma stealth .

Ss Ninja- Rank 50 Asura Condition Thief (The Bulgarians [BG])
My Ringtones on Zedge >>>C l i c k <<<

in Thief

Posted by: Ulti.4168

Ulti.4168

my first character was a thief, but as i was trying out other professions i ended up deleting him for some reason. my highest level is only level 21, a guardian that i was liking but i was never much of the support type. i always liked the idea of being stealthy. back when i played WoW i always wanted to make a rogue, but i was so busy on other max levels so i never got around to it, and the thief seems to be the closest thing. i just made a thief and i am about to go to bed, but i look forward to leveling him up tomorrow when/if i play.

in Thief

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Mhh, without much detailed forethought – skill descriptions without actual play are too abstract – and almost by accident. Played Ranger or similar classes and I did have a Norn Ranger in my mind, but, wiser form GW1, I doubted they’d ever get enough love. Since in NWN modules Rogue(/Fighter) had become a favourite ever since this particular Rogue module … well, I guess Thief was first.

in Thief

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I was recommended thief by a buddy
I also like the thief archetype

in Thief

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

with heavy armor lol

Why do people still have ignorance over this…
You do realize armor TYPE is pretty meaningless right? Your armor VALUE is what matters and you get that by stacking toughness. I can get 3k armor rating on my thief just as easily as on a warrior by stacking toughness gear.

Also armor value and hp mean very little in pvp. Survivability has far far far more to do with dodges, evasion, active mitigation cc’s, target dropping, escape tools, etc.

Armor type for the most part is visual only and has very very little to do with anything actually related to the mechanics of the game in GW2.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Thief

Posted by: Wormwood.1278

Wormwood.1278

This profession has access to Dual Pistols, Stealth and was Highly Mobile. I was sold from day one.

I mean, come on! PEW PEW! And don’t say “But the engineer..” Sure Engi’s are fine, but they just don’t have our style!

Author of Lock & Key, The Thief Profession Blog at Guild Wars Insider

in Thief

Posted by: pitrelli.5361

pitrelli.5361

First toon was a Ranger but hated being so reliant on pets who spent most of the time dead. Recently decided to roll a thief and loving every minute of it, its a much more challenging class to play due to survivability however I love the mechanics.

Currently only level 54 so looking forward to the push to 80

in Thief

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Deep down. Most people want to be that dck who one-shots the opponent in the back before they can respond and run away before anyone can get revenge.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

in Thief

Posted by: Braxxus.2904

Braxxus.2904

Deep down. Most people want to be that dck who one-shots the opponent in the back before they can respond and run away before anyone can get revenge.

lol
More accurate generalization than most I think.

Blackwater Vanguard
Yaks Bend

in Thief

Posted by: Zunhar.4079

Zunhar.4079

Too true, lol.

in Thief

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I’m a melee-only player.

I started with Guardian, quickly realized after lvl 80 that laughable dmg + no cripple and all the fail things like scepter and staffs were far from anything I would play very long.
I then hated the super clunkiness of the Warrior and its gimmicky, boring playstyle; skills like rush and HB that “lock” you are anti-action MMO things that have no place to be.

Then I made a Thief.
I was very skeptical for a lot of my time, but then realized it’s the best thing I’ve ever played in 20 years of gaming.
It’s the most reflex-based, quick-thinking-requiring class I’ve ever played that sees you using all sorts of tricks in an endless combination of awesomeness.
We have outstanding mobility to get where we need immediately and ninja tricks that allow us to dance at the edge of death.
We have great damage to put quick pressure on enemies.
We have a bag of tricks to deal with different situations.

And especially, it’s the smoothest class.
Everything combines and connects in an harmonious manner: a big relief when compared to the awkward clunkiness of some other classes.
I believe every class should be made as smooth as the Thief.

in Thief

Posted by: Fjandi.2516

Fjandi.2516

Oh finally a sincere person. Respect.
I love how ppl keep qqing about backstab.

in Thief

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

Partly because of the name I had and partly to learn about the class.

The name fits a thief.

I also wanted to understand the class.

If I’m going to fight effectively against other classes to be able to counter well, I want to understand what they can do.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

in Thief

Posted by: ZLE.8293

ZLE.8293

Oh finally a sincere person. Respect.
I love how ppl keep qqing about backstab.

I was sarcastic but anyways,thanks for the respect.

Ss Ninja- Rank 50 Asura Condition Thief (The Bulgarians [BG])
My Ringtones on Zedge >>>C l i c k <<<

in Thief

Posted by: Tenofas.6098

Tenofas.6098

Because I have always played rogue/assassin/thief classes as main character in any mmorpg (except for LOTRO, but that’s a different story).

in Thief

Posted by: Bartas.4908

Bartas.4908

Well, I usually played tank classes in previous MMOs then tried SWToR and played Gunslinger. Thief looked kinda similar and since I was used to dual pistols I thought I try that in GW2.
P/P build happened to be…. crap anyway but I liked thief class so I play it since then.

Proud member of [BOO]
Thief/Necro/Guardian/Mesmer/Elementalist of SFR EU

in Thief

Posted by: MasterGeese.4756

MasterGeese.4756

I wanted to be a pirate. So I did.

Though when I got into it, I find thieves to be a good class choice for me regardless of the piratey-ness. Low enough health that you have to actually dodge stuff, high damage potential if you can combo correctly, tons of mobility, ability to pick your fights, it’s all there.

in Thief

Posted by: Dark.6250

Dark.6250

I luv yak slapping :P

in Thief

Posted by: bloodymarx.9052

bloodymarx.9052

DISCLAIMER: the following post might be tl;dr. Read on if you’re curious about why someone would choose to play a Thief, skip the post if you just want to generalize.

I didn’t choose Thief first: in the first two beta-s, I played an Engineer. I didn’t like it that much, though, so I tried the Thief out (I did play an Assassin in GW1 for a good while) and stayed with it throughout. I very much liked the mobility of the class, and that you wanted to dodge, and keep dodging, because otherwise you’d drop quite quick. In my opinion, it’s a more engaging playstyle than many others.

I could care less about backstabs, though. As a tactic, it’s too predictable. I also don’t really feel like abusing culling, even if unintentionally – plus I leveled to 80 first before going into any PvP and WvW, and I didn’t find stealth very useful in PvE combat. Only when it came to avoiding it, heh.

So far, I pretty much stayed with the Thief because of its mobility and the style of play that comes with it. Mostly because I like roaming in WvW, helping out where needed, scouting in enemy territory, and distracting groups who think that they need ten people to chase a single thief, hehe. To me, it’s fun knowing that in such cases I have to be constantly alert, and if I slip up, I’ll most probably die.
To anyone who would say “but thieves can run away from any fight”: maybe, but try doing so in places where multiple enemy groups are moving about. It’s actually quite fun, in my opinion.

As somebody once said: “thieves is gorilla warfare!”