How to deal with DPS medi guards?

in Warrior

Posted by: DrDivine.5378

DrDivine.5378

I use a s/s lb celestial build that can surprisingly deal with most threats and has some good survivability. The build doesn’t have a huge burst or anything, but focuses on might stacking with condi pressure and decent power.

I’ve noticed that my matchups with dps guards are almost always even, we usually have each other very closely and it will come down to who gets that last hit in successfully. ither way, we both usually have to pop every utility by the time it’s over in 1v1 rooms. Any advice on how to deal with them?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

If you are even with them right now, you don’t need advice. DPS med guards are counters to almost any warrior.

Only S/S longbow condi wins more then it loses. I guess celestial can do well for the same reasons.

So the advice would be to go deeper into condi. Or don’t, because it sucks.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Ans: You run away. DPS Medi Guards are Warrior eaters.

Just like…

… yknow, I dont think other classes have hard counters in terms of raw damage/mitigation factor.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

in Warrior

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Instant condi presure seems to work soms times

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

DrDivine.5378

If you are even with them right now, you don’t need advice. DPS med guards are counters to almost any warrior.

Only S/S longbow condi wins more then it loses. I guess celestial can do well for the same reasons.

So the advice would be to go deeper into condi. Or don’t, because it sucks.

What makes them a direct counter?

in Warrior

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

They have an absolutely insane amount of blocks and blinds, and warriors rely on single hard hitting abilities that are very telegraphed and predictable.

Take GS/Axe for example. All the Guardian really needs to do is put down symbols, block evis and bull’s rush and it is GG. The Guardian can do insane amounts of damage while maintaining these defenses.

Same goes for Hammer. Block Earthshaker and Backbreaker and you will be taking high damage all the time.

They also have no problem sticking on you thanks to the teleport and the leap skills. So when they want to burst you, they will.

I duel a lot of these lately, and I must say if I meet a good one I will lose 60-70% of all duels. What seems to get them is to kite damage as much as you can while still trying to bait out their defenses (with Whirlwind for instance). Once they used up all their blocks and blinds, you try for a CC-chain (I play HammerGS a lot). Also, Mace/Shield works very well IMO, because of the reflects, blocks and interrupts on that set. Landing skullcrack can still be hard though. You just have more time to do so due to the defenses on Mace/Shield.

Also, when they activate the shield thing that blocks attacks (Focus #5, so they will be on sword or scepter) and does damage if it isn’t broken in time, make sure you either destroy the shield or save some defense. They will most likely teleport to you when the timer runs out, and this skill does backstab-to-the-back damage (literally).

They are somewhat weaker to conditions, so overloading them at the right moment can give you a win. Conditions specs pack more natural defenses, so you can survive longer to wittle them down through sustained damage. Longbow also means they either stand in your fire field (which does most of your condi damage through burning) or don’t damage you until they switch to scepter. Then you pull out your sword and start reflecting to keep the pressure.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

in Warrior

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

Cygnus is right, they are weak vs condi bunkers – just keep your distance a bit and when they fail their GS burst start loading them with conditions. Havent lost against a medi guardian EVER when playing condi bunker (apothecary shout). They lack sustain and their condi cleanse runs out after a while. Just dont try to faceroll them – play cautious like against engi.

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

in Warrior

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Just like…

… yknow, I dont think other classes have hard counters in terms of raw damage/mitigation factor.

Roll a SS/LB Toughness Vitality Condition damage build. keep them at bay and overload them with conditions.

You don’t want to fight them head-on. Just keep throwing condis on them and avoiding much of their damage.

It’s not a race to kill them first, stay alive until you melt them. It’s a long-term fight.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Warrior

DrDivine.5378

Just like…

Roll a SS/LB Toughness Vitality Condition damage build. keep them at bay and overload them with conditions.

You don’t want to fight them head-on. Just keep throwing condis on them and avoiding much of their damage.

It’s not a race to kill them first, stay alive until you melt them. It’s a long-term fight.

Would you mind sharing a good s s / lb condi build? The one I use now focuses on might stacking with the celestial amulet so he’s well rounded in both areas.

in Warrior

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

The main weakpoint of guardians is the lack of real ranged potential & lack of cripples, chills etc to help stay on target.
(dont say scepter because any target beyond 600 range can strafe to avoid orbs)

Medi guard also has a weakness in that it has a low amount of condition removal compared to a shout build.

Best option would be to use longbow in your off set & doom sigil on each weapon set to keep poison up.
This will limit their healing potential & keep extra damage ticks up on them.
Also I would suggest using the trait that allows you to stack vulnerability on crit.
(that will allow you to cover your bleeds & poison and make them waste more condition cleanses)

(edited by Ragnar the Rock.3174)

in Warrior

DrDivine.5378

The main weakpoint of guardians is the lack of real ranged potential & lack of cripples, chills etc to help stay on target.

Medi guard also has a weakness in that it has a low amount of condition removal compared to a shout build.

Best option would be to use longbow in your off set & doom sigil on each weapon set to keep poison up.
Also I would suggest using the trait that allows you to stack vulnerability on crit.
(that will allow you to cover your bleeds & poison and make them waste more condition cleanses)

Would you replace sigil of battle, energy or geomancy for doom?

in Warrior

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Just going to quote myself from the last two how to beat medi guardian threads.

edit: Just going to quote myself from the last thread.

To beat a medi guardian, you really need to know how it works. It’s like most match ups, the more information you have the better prepared you are to deal with it. As medi guardian is my main, I’ll point out a couple things.

First off, identify the weapons they’re using.

Greatsword: Leap of faith (blind)
Sword: Flashing Blade (blind) Zealot’s Defense (destroy projectile)
Focus: Ray of Judgement (blind) Shield of Wrath (3 blocks)
Mace: Protector’s Strike (single block)

Each are in themselves easy enough to spot and deal with. SoW is mostly used for dps, some guards will dodge instead of block to get the burst off. Use an AA to break through the blinds and blocks, don’t burn your cooldowns.

From there, 1 into radiance will give the guardian Justice is Blind. It’s on a 23-30s cooldown, so it’s going to be used for either highly telegraphed skills or to secure a stomp. There’s also Virtue of Courage which grants aegis, also used in a similar manner to VoJ.

Shelter in itself is probably the most troublesome block. It’s the only duration block on guardian, and if you keep unloading into it you will just give them might.

Just don’t let a medi guard choose his pace. If the fight is opened with a Judge’s Intervention burst, it only leaves one stun breaker that’s tied into condition cleanse. Apply the CC and immob, deal your damage and then kite them while waiting for cooldowns. A warrior should have no problem keeping up perma swiftness while crippling the medi guardian that has zero access to swiftness or 25% movement speed outside of runes.

in Warrior

DrDivine.5378

To beat a medi guardian, you really need to know how it works. It’s like most match ups, the more information you have the better prepared you are to deal with it. As medi guardian is my main, I’ll point out a couple things.

Each are in themselves easy enough to spot and deal with. SoW is mostly used for dps, some guards will dodge instead of block to get the burst off. Use an AA to break through the blinds and blocks, don’t burn your cooldowns.

From there, 1 into radiance will give the guardian Justice is Blind. It’s on a 23-30s cooldown, so it’s going to be used for either highly telegraphed skills or to secure a stomp. There’s also Virtue of Courage which grants aegis, also used in a similar manner to VoJ.

Shelter in itself is probably the most troublesome block. It’s the only duration block on guardian, and if you keep unloading into it you will just give them might.

Just don’t let a medi guard choose his pace. If the fight is opened with a Judge’s Intervention burst, it only leaves one stun breaker that’s tied into condition cleanse. Apply the CC and immob, deal your damage and then kite them while waiting for cooldowns. A warrior should have no problem keeping up perma swiftness while crippling the medi guardian that has zero access to swiftness or 25% movement speed outside of runes.

Very helpful info! I have another question though, for my build which of these two master traits should I take? Defy pain or Spiked armor?

in Warrior

Posted by: LiquidWallz.8543

LiquidWallz.8543

This has got me confused, I thought a warriors job was to be in your face?

in Warrior

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Would you replace sigil of battle, energy or geomancy for doom?

Geomancy most likely.

in Warrior

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Just like…

Would you mind sharing a good s s / lb condi build? The one I use now focuses on might stacking with the celestial amulet so he’s well rounded in both areas.

This is what I use. I picked it up somewhere and made some changes.
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-sFFo;1NKFP0X4NL-60;9;5TJ-J;102C18;225-TNX6K;1jwmAjwmA2Vc

Note that unless you’re weakened or already fighting anyone you should eat the medi guardian alive.
I’ve rarely lost to them unless i was previously at a disadvantage.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Warrior

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Very helpful info! I have another question though, for my build which of these two master traits should I take? Defy pain or Spiked armor?

Defy Pain can be a very long 4 seconds to a medi guardian.

in Warrior

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

i haven’t been playing much lately since latest patch.

but as a power GS/Sw-Sh warrior i used to just kite them in initial 15-30s of the fight, they burn their cds trying to lock me and then i hit them hard.

in Warrior

Posted by: dominik.9721

dominik.9721

Even the best warrior in game Rôm from TCG has a lot of trouble against med guards. So I don’t think you have that good opportunities against them

Grimkram [sS]

in Warrior

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

@OP, you definitely have the right build. What kind of sigils are you running? I find that maintaining condi pressure on them while evading their burst works. Most medi builds have pretty limited cleansing options and their good cleanses have long CDs.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

in Warrior

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

Shout heal war works as well to counter medi guards

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r

in Warrior

Posted by: Zefrost.3425

Zefrost.3425

Try my new meta build it basically wastes their blocks with mad king runes of the esports.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNAS8ejMdU2ZZIGewJagjgA94anpgzFHNA-TFCBABfcQAwT9njvAA+t/gd6GcUJIAPBAzU+RKA/UGB-w

in Warrior

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Try my new meta build it basically wastes their blocks with mad king runes of the esports.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fJAQNAS8ejMdU2ZZIGewJagjgA94anpgzFHNA-TFCBABfcQAwT9njvAA+t/gd6GcUJIAPBAzU+RKA/UGB-w

That’s…actually a pretty innovative way to use Rune of the Mad Kek.

Well done, didnt see that last thread.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.