Glory booster circular logic

in PvP

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

A: We will not be converting glory boosters because we announced that we would be phasing out glory in John’s blog post and it wouldn’t be fair to the players that used up all of their boosters since then in preparation for it.

What this distills into is “we will not convert unused boosters because we indicated that there would be no conversion of unused boosters.” This is a dodge, not an explanation.

The players who used the boosters presumably already got a reasonable reward from it, which was the glory boost, and they’re still free to spend that glory. And as much as it might be somewhat unfair if they didn’t really want those glory rewards, it’s infinitely more unfair to give people absolutely nothing when they did not have the time to use their boosters. At the very least, you can convert unused boosters to some nominal amount of glory or other reward, such as dungeon tokens, or badges of honor, according to the player’s preference. There’s no excuse to take away leftover glory boosters and give back nothing in return.

Simply taking away a reward that players have earned is not only bad form, but this whole process of completely replacing a reward system seems to suggest that this game launched with an alpha version of PvP – which does explain its many shortcomings but is still no excuse to take away what players have earned. And that’s not limited to glory boosters, but also to the impending possibility of losing earned equipment and materials down the line. A proper phase-out should include ways to convert all existing rewards to something usable in the post-update environment.

in PvP

Posted by: stobes.9254

stobes.9254

Agree completely. Unfortunately, Allie will end up locking this in a day or so, because its concept is too overwhelming for them.

Pandaz

in PvP

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Seems Anet wants to take everything from PvPers. Our rewards were allready terrible, now they are gonna simply delete part of what we earned. But it gets better starting march 18th we will be geting no rewards at all for gods know how long. This is gonna be sooo amazing, investing time in pvp without anything at all in return right? :/

(edited by Lucyfer.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

Just because you don’t like the answer Anet is giving doesn’t mean it is not an explanation.
Your quote is exactly that – an explanation.
And for once I completely agree with Anet’s point of view.

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

also to the impending possibility of losing earned equipment and materials down the line. .

Its not a possibility- all materials earned in pvp are going bye byes.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@OP: well said. I’m still hoping ANET will do the right thing here, but let’s wait and see.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

This isn’t circular reasoning.

We’re not saying we are going to do nothing because we said we would do nothing.

We’re saying we won’t change direction (from the previously stated plans) because it would put many players at a disadvantage, and on top of that these players would be hurt because they listened to us.

We seriously considered many different options, and doing nothing seemed the most fair. Do you disagree? Keep in mind, more people used boosters than did not.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

(edited by Justin ODell.9517)

in PvP

Posted by: GEM.9418

GEM.9418

We seriously considered many different options, and doing nothing seemed the most fair.

I’d strongly encourage ANET to change this line of thought because it’s been used way too much and the current state of PVP is reflecting it.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

We’re not saying we are going to do nothing because we said we would do nothing.

We’re saying we won’t change direction (from the previously stated plans) because it would put many players at a disadvantage, and on top of that these players would be hurt because they listened to us.

We seriously considered many different options, and doing nothing seemed the most fair. Do you disagree? Keep in mind, more people used boosters than did not.

The problem is that a lot of us weren’t using them prior to the announcement. I think I had like 200 or so. I’m down to 120 or something like that, but still, not enough time to use them all.

I think there are two good options:
1. Allow a trade in for other boosters
2. Delay the removal of glory rewards. After all, if there isn’t going to be a new incentive introduced right away, what is the harm in keeping the old system in place a while longer?

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

It’s a small issue but there was a better solution. Glory boosters can be consumed for 100 glory. Player A who used all their boosters still received more glory than player B without creating a problem of removing an item completely. As small an issue as it is with everything else in the state of the transition it doesn’t reflect as well had a better solution been taken. In my opinion that is the goal, a smooth transition even on matters where I can agree the glory booster being deleted is small.

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

We seriously considered many different options, and doing nothing seemed the most fair.

I’d strongly encourage ANET to change this line of thought because it’s been used way too much and the current state of PVP is reflecting it.

This is exactly right.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

Nah, just be honest, this the only course of action u guys have the resources for.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Why did ppl stack boosters in the first place?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

Some people got too many from PvP and just couldn’t spend them all, others got them from achievement chests and black lion chests and never used them because they simply didn’t play PvP.

The people who get kittened the most from the removal of the boosters are the ones who bought them for gems and never got to use them and the ones who got them from black lion chests because they could have gotten a booster that they would actually use.

However, one could argue that PvPers get kittened as well because the daily PvP achievement rewards where balanced around giving glory boosters. If the PvP dailies have nothing to replace glory boosters they will simply have inferior rewards to the PvE dailies.

in PvP

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

there is a precedent.

when voting for the living story ended and you could no longer use your tokens… well anet added a vendor price like 3 months later. a rather noisy community outcry ensued, because people were rewarded for not participating and for hoarding.

lesson learned: dont offer a tradein on items they make useless. take a “use it or lose it” approach and make sure people know.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Some people got too many from PvP and just couldn’t spend them all, others got them from achievement chests and black lion chests and never used them because they simply didn’t play PvP.

The people who get kittened the most from the removal of the boosters are the ones who bought them for gems and never got to use them and the ones who got them from black lion chests because they could have gotten a booster that they would actually use.

However, one could argue that PvPers get kittened as well because the daily PvP achievement rewards where balanced around giving glory boosters. If the PvP dailies have nothing to replace glory boosters they will simply have inferior rewards to the PvE dailies.

People who bought boosters can file a ticket for a refund. See: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/March-18th-Glory-change-FAQ/

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

in PvP

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

The problem is that a lot of us weren’t using them prior to the announcement. I think I had like 200 or so. I’m down to 120 or something like that, but still, not enough time to use them all.

This is pretty much me, I’d accumulated a lot and wasn’t a hardcore PvP so they just seemed to build up.

Since the announcement I spend enough time in PvP to get my dailies done but it hasn’t done much to eat through my numbers, I still have 100+.

In future you might want to think about this more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_aversion

Better plans should have been made because as has been explained you haven’t given enough time to use the boosters. This whole ‘were just going to do nothing’, looks more like a failure to plan, prioritize and implement.

I’ve seen some good suggestions about how left over glory boosters could be used that aren’t unreasonable in the face of people that have already used them.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in PvP

Posted by: Dosvidaniya.3260

Dosvidaniya.3260

Do you know how many hours per day of pvp you had to go through to actually drop your booster count?

You got one for your daily. (at least 1 hour a day). You got 5 from your monthly. (+.16 per day). You got them from the chests you bought for your gear. (Unknown amount). You got them from your tournament chests (Unknown amount). You got them from your achievement milestones, black lion chests, and rank up chests. (Unknown amount).

At a bare minimum, you needed to do 1.16 hours of pvp per day to break even. If you were doing arenas, it was closer to 2 hours of pvp per day to break even. If you actually bought pvp reward chests (most pvpers did), you were pushing in excess of 2.5 hours of daily pvp to stop accumulation. It’s really not surprising people ended up with a stockpile.

That said, all chests still give the stupid boosters. The only reason my stack is going down is because I stopped playing arena. There is no way I’ll get through all of mine because I want to buy a few rank chests and still have unopened tournament chests. The advance notice doesn’t cut it when it was so easy to stockpile the stupid things and given that they are still dropping!

There is really no excuse. Let us exchange them for 250 glory. It’s inferior to using them. But, you don’t have to waste them. Honestly, the notion that there is no fair way to do it is complete bogus.

(edited by Dosvidaniya.3260)

in PvP

Posted by: stobes.9254

stobes.9254

Not sure what i expected to be honest. We can hope all we want, but doing nothing seems to be the business model that you’ve chosen.

Pandaz

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Everyone is saying how many glory boosters they have. Doesnt having a lot of something devaluate it?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I played mostly WvW until recently. I had a smallish stack of glory boosters that I finished using. So no, I had no idea how many people were receiving as rewards, which is why I asked. I can see how they’d stack up, especially if they were not used constantly.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in PvP

Posted by: Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

Pinkunicorn of Dethecus.3217

My favorite remedy to the situation was introducing a Mystic Forge recipe for 4x glory boosters that would generate 200% glory boost for the hour that it was in effect (since each booster is +50%), people could actually burn through them, getting more from rank/tourney chests wouldn’t be so detrimental, and nothing is gained over those who have already used theirs, because it all ends up equating to the same amount of glory in the end.

in PvP

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

My favorite remedy to the situation was introducing a Mystic Forge recipe for 4x glory boosters that would generate 200% glory boost for the hour that it was in effect (since each booster is +50%), people could actually burn through them, getting more from rank/tourney chests wouldn’t be so detrimental, and nothing is gained over those who have already used theirs, because it all ends up equating to the same amount of glory in the end.

Great Idea! But with 2 weeks left… We need to be able to mf this 200% and then be able to mf 800%. Then, it would be possible

They even can reduce the % after forge. Like 50%x4= 150% 150%x4=500% and 500%x4= 1800%.

(edited by Sergoros.4398)

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

The mistake was the original direction/decision to remove spvp rewards with no compensation for the players. That was a crazy decision, and I’ve never heard of an mmo just wiping everyone’s crafting materials and game currency boosters. Imagine if you did that in pve, the game would just crash.

You are right though, following that decision you have little choice but to stick to your guns and just wipe all the materials and boosters I have been accumulating since launch, that I was hoping to be able to use when the reward system was improved.

in PvP

Posted by: Dojo.1867

Dojo.1867

What they are planning to do is just a no go and would put the nail in the coffin for me. Doubt they will listen to the massive amount of negative feedback concerning their decision though. They never do when it comes to PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

What they are planning to do is just a no go and would put the nail in the coffin for me. Doubt they will listen to the massive amount of negative feedback concerning their decision though. They never do when it comes to PvP.

Well they did listen in regards to rank and finishers, but I honestly don’t understand the current logic here either. Removing a reward system, implementing nothing till much later. Which is a problem, since it lowers the incentive to play.

Also, if they remove the vendors to boot instead of making it just cost gold, there’s absolutely nothing you can earn. No exchange tokens, no reward chests. Earning skins will be nigh impossible or extremely difficult. Even a bigger pain if salvage kits are also still glory oriented.
Coupled with the removal of Mystery coffers, the skin acquisition I think will only be limited to Solo and Team arena now. Making earning coin the only incentive to play in most regards.

Duty is heavier than death.

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Glory boosters will be removed, yet they’re still dropping in game. I got one from a black lion chest 10 days ago.

As for the whole PvP glory removal, see: fractal rank reset — people were really upset but nothing was done in the end (and the promised leaderboard never even appeared).

in PvP

Posted by: Matisse.9356

Matisse.9356

I fail to understand why people whine so much about this topic, as glory was rather useless anyway. Whilst I am pretty sure that it is the vocal minority again, I do think that people should remove their shortsightedness for the future layout of rewards.
Anet wants to blend it in better with the pve rewards. This can only be good, as there is a huge disparity between the rewards for pve content vs. the rewards for pvp.

in PvP

Posted by: Sensotix.4106

Sensotix.4106

this..so much this!

in PvP

Posted by: yiishing.9057

yiishing.9057

This topic is only an minor issue, but it reflects the whole approach towards pvp rewards and pvp in general, and thats why people are angry and disappointed.

Glory was useless until wintersday patch (and it’s pretty much until today actually, thats why its getting removed). People saved glory boosters and tournament chests in the hope that the rewards would receive an overhaul and they could then profit from the (until now) useless rewards.
But this stuff is officially considered worthless now, with no actual replacement in sight. What’s left is an inventory full of crap.

The only people who actually got “rewards” are those who abused the kitten out of the birthday gift bug and skyhammer farmers and converted their glory into gold

Good Old Days [GD] - Disturbed Squad [DISS]
http://de.twitch.tv/yiillusion

(edited by yiishing.9057)

in PvP

Dojo.1867

Also the “argument” Allie provided of why they cannot compensate glory boosters in really flawed. Let’s think that through:

Q: Why aren’t people with glory boosters being compensated with different boosters or something along those lines?
A: We will not be converting glory boosters because we announced that we would be phasing out glory in John’s blog post and it wouldn’t be fair to the players that used up all of their boosters since then in preparation for it. However, players that spent gems to purchase glory boosters directly that have not used the booster will be eligible for a refund. For those that did purchase them, they can file a ticket here.

So let’s say there is :

• Person A that had 250 glory boosters when they announced this
  • Person B that had 30 glory boosters when they announced this

Now both try to consume those boosters, it is more likely that people with much fewer boosters will achieve this goal so let’s say

• Person A was able to consume 150 glory boosters (he tried really hard and played a lot of PvP)
  • Person B consumed all 30

Now how is this unfair if the remaining 100 of Person A would be compensated? Actually Person A lost more boosters since the announcement. Another example of how they don’t really know what they are doing. This really worries me.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

I’m person A. =[

in PvP

Dojo.1867

Yes the more time you invested exclusively into turney PvP the harder you are punished by Arenanet. I don’t really get why the think this is a clever strategy and their claim that this would be necessary to redesign the reward system is totally not true.

Their interpretation of “fair” seems pretty far away from the actual meaning. This is not fair at all Arenanet, neither is it the “most fair” option you have.

(edited by Dojo.1867)

in PvP

Posted by: yiishing.9057

yiishing.9057

Glory boosters will be removed, yet they’re still dropping in game. I got one from a black lion chest 10 days ago.

Opened a few hundred tourney chests today, got like 50 more glory boosters. Felt so rewarded

Good Old Days [GD] - Disturbed Squad [DISS]
http://de.twitch.tv/yiillusion

in PvP

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

I saved mine for high rank levels and when i have some vacations to play!

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

glory boosters don’t affect rank level afaik XD

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

dat attatchment doe.

Priceless.

in PvP

Posted by: Kim.4152

Kim.4152

People who bought boosters can file a ticket for a refund. See: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/March-18th-Glory-change-FAQ/

And what about people who received them from black lion chests and will soon have them taken away? How are they not entitled to compensation when they essentially received one item fewer than they should have? Obviously this decision was made a long time ago but glory boosters were still dropping very recently from black lion chests – completely unfair. Accepting money / gems from people and then giving them rewards that are soon to be useless is ethically questionable.

People who were able to use all their boosters have already received something from them – increased glory which they can spend for something. People who have too many boosters to use them all up are instead having them taken away with no compensation whatsoever. That is neither fair nor honest. Many people have a few hundred glory boosters and it is impossible for them to consume them all in the short time period.

This decision was very poorly thought out and is going to leave a lot of people feeling completely ripped off. In the thread(s) before about the molten mining pick, Gaile used an example of buying a smartphone and then having a newer, better model come out a few months later. In this case, it is like buying a smartphone only to have the seller take it back arbitrarily with no compensation a few weeks later. Very questionable business practices.

in PvP

Posted by: Kim.4152

Kim.4152

The same for us (my husband and me) – not sure we will continue with GW2 or any other product from Anet because we don’t like dealing with companies with questionable business practices. Taking money for something, removing that item and offering no compensation is questionable at best.

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

The mistake was the original direction/decision to remove spvp rewards with no compensation for the players. That was a crazy decision, and I’ve never heard of an mmo just wiping everyone’s crafting materials and game currency boosters. Imagine if you did that in pve, the game would just crash.

You are right though, following that decision you have little choice but to stick to your guns and just wipe all the materials and boosters I have been accumulating since launch, that I was hoping to be able to use when the reward system was improved.

They did it in fractals, wiped all their progress for a leaderboard they still haven’t produced

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

SoLeciTO.3490

It used to, at least right?

I mean:

glory booster = + glory per game

to gain a rank lvl you need glory

Am i missing something?

in PvP

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

It used to, at least right?

I mean:

glory booster = + glory per game

to gain a rank lvl you need glory

Am i missing something?

Nay, Rank and Glory were always seperate, but were often confused with each other since the looks and icons were both purple. But they are both tracked separately and the boosters do not affect rank.

Duty is heavier than death.

in PvP

Dojo.1867

You need rank points for rank level, not glory. There is no way to boost rank point gain beside being a hotjoin pleb.

in PvP

Posted by: Lannika.8325

Lannika.8325

im with 200k glory, what to do with it now? im lost
and i have 100 glory boosts ;s

in PvP

SoLeciTO.3490

for the love of my mother . . . o_O

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

These also still drop from achievement chests. I rarely PvP, but I’ve gotten a lot of glory boosters. Earned them all. I’d like to keep some rewards, there, even if all my glory is going toward levels for my alts.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in PvP

Posted by: Dosvidaniya.3260

Dosvidaniya.3260

Based off another players comment, I just wanted to offer two solutions that are 100% viable for the devs. Let players trade in 15 glory boosters for 1 pvp unidentified dye. Alternatively, let players turn in 1 glory booster for 20 magic find.

I know that glory is being removed, so that conversion won’t work. So, it has to be converted into something we can already get from glory. Two things that you can always get are luck and dyes. Use them. Of course the devs have the real numbers, the above are based on my own research.

Right now, one glory booster should average around 500 glory in hotjoin. (162.5 glory/game * .50 boost * 6 games). So, it’s roughly equivalent to one 500 glory chest. I just opened 60 of them so I could have a basis for numbers.

I averaged one dye per 15 chests; so 1 dye per 15 glory boosters is roughly equivalent; but the player loses finishers and gear drops.

I averaged around 3.75 luck per salvage. So, close to 20 (18.75) luck per chest; assuming no finishers or dye.

In the end run, you gain less than boosters that are used; however, players still can do something with the stockpiles they’ve accumulated.

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

What about the people who can’t realistically go through all the boosters they currently have?

The people who did use them all up already obviously didn’t have a lot.

To be honest, I hate whiners but this is a valid concern for a lot of people and I think your take on the issue is unfair.

in PvP

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

We seriously considered many different options, and doing nothing seemed the most fair. Do you disagree?

So this is why PvP and WvW are so stagnant and the player base neglected. We give you too many options so you just do nothing?

“Curses! The players gave us too many ideas, if we pick 1 or 2 the other 20 will feel neglected and unfairly treated, let’s just do nothing.”

It is long past the time to start doing, get on it!

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

in PvP

Posted by: Guard.6751

Guard.6751

I’m pretty sure if A.net announced today or sometime soon that they would be adding a vendor to exchange boosters, such as the way tickets were handle, more people would be satisfied with that system than not. Plus there is still reason to use glory because the glory vendors will be removed and anyone wanting something from those vendors would need to use their glory, so they would not totally be going back on what they said and more players will feel rewarded for their time invested.

IGNs: The Guardian, Guard – Main Profession: Ranger
Leaderboard Peak Rankings: #2 Solo Arena | #11 Team Arena