Analysis of GW2 WvW compared to DAoC RvR. [Long]

in WvW

Posted by: Omega.8573

Omega.8573

Oh I so remember spending hours at work making my new spell-crafting template for DAoC.

I agree with Tarnin – DAoC is too complicated for people who jump into the game today. However, the more complicated something is, generally the deeper you can delve into it, which is kind of the whole point of an MMORPG.

I’m not saying the progression mechanic has to “break the game” and make people who farm stuff overpowered (which btw, has been fixed in WoW, so unless you can come up with another example…). But it absolutely needs more of an incentive. Even if it was to be competitive 8v8, 5v5, 3v3, or whatever fights with ranked ladder matches. To this day, I have not found a game that gives the unique experience of running with 1-7 people as a group hunting other groups.

in WvW

Posted by: Dance.5826

Dance.5826

Bring realm ranks and purchaseable active/passive abilities or a similar system giving more incentive to WvW and I will be very happy!

in WvW

Posted by: Rvue.1839

Rvue.1839

Something like the herald, that keeps tracks of players and how well they’re doing in WvW, would be another nice addition.

in WvW

Posted by: jimdove.5704

jimdove.5704

as a daoc player from the beta till about 2007 i totally agree on everything you put mate. Only WARHAMMER had the potential to match the glory of DAOC and its RVR. WAR always felt like daoc lite tho. but still had some truely epic moments in RVR once i started running with the Nightfall Alliance Warbands on Azgal.

Kinda hoping GW2s “WvW” will start properly once servers start to get organised groups running around. ATM it seems most ppl are not even 80 yet so just join the zerg and play semi-afk following zerg etc.. Im hoping this is only temporay or WvW will get stale VERY quick. the grind to get the karma is all well and good but the games only been out a month and ive not really been playing properly hardcore and im 80 and 400/400 in 2 crafts as well as having an exotic bow + on my way to full exotic armour set.

Game defo needs some decent rewards for RvR such as realm ranks and perhaps abilities, the RVR Lakes are too few and the queues are silly at times (far shiverpeaks)

simply having WvW there as something to do will not hold the playerbase very long. Crying shame as this game has so much potential, still cant get over how easy it is to level up. Theres no achievement or even a buzz when u ding, hell i didnt even notice dinging 80 as i was running around in RvR. I can still remember to this day the moment and hour before I hit top level in DAOC and the sense of pride wearing the epic armour for the story completion

DAOC – Excalibur
WAR – Karak-Azgal

in WvW

jimdove.5704

Oh I so remember spending hours at work making my new spell-crafting template for DAoC.

I agree with Tarnin – DAoC is too complicated for people who jump into the game today. However, the more complicated something is, generally the deeper you can delve into it, which is kind of the whole point of an MMORPG.

I’m not saying the progression mechanic has to “break the game” and make people who farm stuff overpowered (which btw, has been fixed in WoW, so unless you can come up with another example…). But it absolutely needs more of an incentive. Even if it was to be competitive 8v8, 5v5, 3v3, or whatever fights with ranked ladder matches. To this day, I have not found a game that gives the unique experience of running with 1-7 people as a group hunting other groups.

Great point mate. Players these days want everything and they want it now. Blamde WOW or console games on this imo.

EVE online is the prime example of complicated and deep. Still going strong, you could play it for a year and still be a “noob” and its about the only proper MMO still going imo. Thats a MANS MMO that is

DAOC – Excalibur
WAR – Karak-Azgal

in WvW

jimdove.5704

No Real Reason to WvW? Try “Because it’s fun.” That’s the same reason play most games in the universe.

Lack of Community Building? I don’t see it. I server hopped for a while. Even at just a glance I noticed great, budding communities on many servers.

Too Hard to Kill People? I kill people all the time, both in group fights and solo. Sometimes the loser escapes death. Sometimes they don’t. The balance here is just right.

As for your concluding minor issues, they are either differences in taste or problems that will be resolved.

I also find it quite ironic that you complain about there being too much deception coming from a game where there were entire packs of people who were permanently invisible.

And please please please please no realm ranks. For the love of all that is beautiful in the universe, please not this. I will cut off my toe and mail it to Arena.net if that’s what it takes to avoid this kind of garbage in GW2.

Fun = only choice being to follow the zerg with your face on the keyboard? gets dull quickly mate. You cant roam as the maps too small so u cant avoid zergs, you cant solo as u will get zerged you have no choice atm but to find your relams zerg then tag along for the ride until you run into a just as unorganised zerg but with larger numbers and get wiped, and the pop cap for the rvr areas must be tiny.

Ive yet to see more than about 2 warbands worth of ppl on screen at any one time. I dread to think what a DAOC relic raid force would do to this games RVR lakes lol. the GW2 engine seems stable and able to cope with the numbers ive seen so far so let us try an old school DAOC RR zerg plz Never forgot those days of everyone putting on a black cloak to help with framerates and relic raid forces being so big the zone would crash hehe

DAOC – Excalibur
WAR – Karak-Azgal

in WvW

Posted by: willwill.9318

willwill.9318

Because realm ranks, make all the difference.. if there was realm ranks, lower pop would still be out there fighting when losing

RIGHT OR WRONG?

www.the-darkhand.com <DDH>

in WvW

Posted by: Omega.8573

Omega.8573

Because realm ranks, make all the difference.. if there was realm ranks, lower pop would still be out there fighting when losing

RIGHT OR WRONG?

This is true. This is the main problem right now – the game tries to be so balanced that when there is a small group verse a larger group, there is absolutely nothing you can do to win.

in WvW

Posted by: ower.9143

ower.9143

You WvW, RvR.. pvp or whatever because it’s fun. Not for the lamekitten carrot on a stick of gear, ranks abilities or whatever. I really feel sorry if you need an “incentive” other than having fun. I hated when they put BGs in DAoC and all the addition crap. I had hours and hours of fun pvping in EQ because it was fun.. not becuase I was going to get something from it other than enjoyment. I really dislike what PvP in MMOs have become. PvE grind in disguise. Where the gear you grind out makes the difference more than how well you play.

The only thing I liked and thought was cool was Darkness Falls. I never even used it, but had kitten loads of fun RvRing so we could own it.

in WvW

Posted by: Will.4165

Will.4165

OMG another EQ1 pvper. Ok yes dude i PVPed in eq1 to defend my race (I was a darkelf on Zek) I did it because i hated lighties and would stop at nothing to kill them. In that game i pvped for the enjoyment of killing the enemy. The difference i believe is it was much much harder to find targets. So actually finding someone and killing them was a huge feat. Also when they died, they had to do a corpse run to retrieve their body. I spend hours getting faction in highhold pass so i could run in and destroy people exping inside. My god it was so good because the world was so alive and non artificial. Here i click 1 button and boom enemies. I kill them and what, 10 seconds later they are back. Trivialized PvP without a reason is boring. Right now during prime time SBI wasn’t capped because people "didn’t want to. God do i miss EQ1

in WvW

Posted by: MarkyMark.2807

MarkyMark.2807

@jimdove – you were on Excalibur? – that was EU wasn’t it? – I was on that server! – 2001-2004 I think it was

I mentioned in another post that I agree with people saying we shouldn’t just turn GW2 pvp into DAoC pvp, but I don’t see why we can’t take the good ideas and learn from it to make GW2 the ultimate pvp?

I don’t want any extra abilities, etc – like RR5 used to give you effective lvl 51 – and RR10 gave you so many extra abilities it was just too hard for others to compete. But I think titles like ‘Sea of Sorrows OMGIKEELYOU’ rather than ‘Sea of Sorrows Invader’ would be a neat addition that can do no harm and helps give those who want a sense of progression exactly that.

Also think Darkness Falls would be a neat idea – I know Mike has already commented on the possibility of something like that appearing.

I certainly think WvW has a ton of potential, it just needs some tweaking from Anet to make it reach that potential.

in WvW

Posted by: tarnin.1690

tarnin.1690

@jimdove – you were on Excalibur? – that was EU wasn’t it? – I was on that server! – 2001-2004 I think it was

I mentioned in another post that I agree with people saying we shouldn’t just turn GW2 pvp into DAoC pvp, but I don’t see why we can’t take the good ideas and learn from it to make GW2 the ultimate pvp?

I don’t want any extra abilities, etc – like RR5 used to give you effective lvl 51 – and RR10 gave you so many extra abilities it was just too hard for others to compete. But I think titles like ‘Sea of Sorrows OMGIKEELYOU’ rather than ‘Sea of Sorrows Invader’ would be a neat addition that can do no harm and helps give those who want a sense of progression exactly that.

Also think Darkness Falls would be a neat idea – I know Mike has already commented on the possibility of something like that appearing.

I certainly think WvW has a ton of potential, it just needs some tweaking from Anet to make it reach that potential.

Realm Abilities got to be over powered the higher up you went and the more you had. My suggestion is to add Talent Points for RR’s and RR sub dings. So, one talent point for 1.1, when you hit RR2 you get another chooseable ability. If that’s too over powered, how about the Champion Levels they added later? Those were much more of a sideways progression instead of straight up.

I hit 50 on a prince run in DF while fighting off albs who were recently locked out. It was an epic night. Next day I got my epic armor (what do you mean we share the same skin as a a BM! argh!) At the time epic armor was still kinda new so everyone gawked, it was great! Big huge firby in epic armor! Back then they even had resistances to things NOT in the game, were broken, or were way to specific, like Darkness and what not.

Really, I just want some kinda reason to WvW. The world is too small right now to roam and there is really no reason to WvW outside of killing things which will get old soon enough. I like progression in a chracter, this is an RPG after all.

The main issue here is that even if I WvW none stop, and kill 100k people, I will be no better off toon wise than some scrub who ground out tokens in a dungeon and jumped in with 0 kills. Oh, my skill will be higher, but the toons will be equal. Makes no sense to me.

in WvW

Posted by: waeren.9743

waeren.9743

Realm Abilities got to be over powered the higher up you went and the more you had. My suggestion is to add Talent Points for RR’s and RR sub dings. So, one talent point for 1.1, when you hit RR2 you get another chooseable ability. If that’s too over powered, how about the Champion Levels they added later? Those were much more of a sideways progression instead of straight up.

I hit 50 on a prince run in DF while fighting off albs who were recently locked out. It was an epic night. Next day I got my epic armor (what do you mean we share the same skin as a a BM! argh!) At the time epic armor was still kinda new so everyone gawked, it was great! Big huge firby in epic armor! Back then they even had resistances to things NOT in the game, were broken, or were way to specific, like Darkness and what not.

Really, I just want some kinda reason to WvW. The world is too small right now to roam and there is really no reason to WvW outside of killing things which will get old soon enough. I like progression in a chracter, this is an RPG after all.

The main issue here is that even if I WvW none stop, and kill 100k people, I will be no better off toon wise than some scrub who ground out tokens in a dungeon and jumped in with 0 kills. Oh, my skill will be higher, but the toons will be equal. Makes no sense to me.

So cosmetic/utility gains are not enough for the all-mighty pvp gods from DAoC? Why do people always need to gain an advantage just because they play more?

Luckily gw2 got that part right.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

So cosmetic/utility gains are not enough for the all-mighty pvp gods from DAoC? Why do people always need to gain an advantage just because they play more?

You are so clueless it hurts. In a few months when its a ghost town because its the same ol same ol out in WvW you will probably shake your tiny fists of rage at the players who wanted to, you know, progress in an RPG. There is a reason even DAoC changed how RvR went. The emain tango got old, Realm Points doing nothing go old, and the population was moving away because it got bored. Now, I’m not sure how ANet wants the game to end up, maybe they only want a few servers to look after with a small crew. If thats the case, then perfect. They will have that in a very short period of time.

Most of the PvE content is mind numbing (which is fine, this should be a pvp based game) so it wont keep the WoW players who want super dance dance revolution for pve fights. The sPvP is junk. It’s WoW/WAR bg’s with less players. Big whoop, if I wanted to play that, FPS’s have been doing death match styles and CTF for years and do it better. I came here to play WvW and a lot of other did too. Now, with no progression in WvW it will be dead very shortly. Take a look at swtor… hows that game doing.

in WvW

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

There is nothing wrong with this statement, but I point it out because it perfectly illustrates where we differ in opinion.

I 100% disagree with this statement, and according to the developer commentary GW2 was designed to avoid this exact situation.

If you succeed in your endeavor, you will have destroyed what makes GW2 unique among modern MMOs. I am afraid that I am directly and wholeheartedly opposed to your vision.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

in WvW

waeren.9743

You are so clueless it hurts. In a few months when its a ghost town because its the same ol same ol out in WvW you will probably shake your tiny fists of rage at the players who wanted to, you know, progress in an RPG. There is a reason even DAoC changed how RvR went. The emain tango got old, Realm Points doing nothing go old, and the population was moving away because it got bored. Now, I’m not sure how ANet wants the game to end up, maybe they only want a few servers to look after with a small crew. If thats the case, then perfect. They will have that in a very short period of time.

Most of the PvE content is mind numbing (which is fine, this should be a pvp based game) so it wont keep the WoW players who want super dance dance revolution for pve fights. The sPvP is junk. It’s WoW/WAR bg’s with less players. Big whoop, if I wanted to play that, FPS’s have been doing death match styles and CTF for years and do it better. I came here to play WvW and a lot of other did too. Now, with no progression in WvW it will be dead very shortly. Take a look at swtor… hows that game doing.

I’ll just keep repeating this until it enters this thick skull of yours.
WvW is ok, giving people an incentive to play is ok, giving people an unfair advantage over someone who can play less or starts out is not ok.

I am sorry you feel entitled to be helped out because you play more but this is not what GW2 is.

If you want DAoC2 then go spam DAoC boards, I honestly will not follow you there.

FYI: SWTOR was just a horrible WoW clone loaded with bugs so yes it failed.

in WvW

Sky.9347

Did DAoC and SWtOR have monthly subscription fees? GW2 does not. This is a bigger factor than you think.

You came here to play WvW, but now playing WvW isn’t good enough because you don’t feel like you have any edge over newer WvW players.

in WvW

Posted by: lala.4370

lala.4370

I feel the same way with the OP on many points but I will only go into one in depth.

I didn’t play DAoC but I did play Warhammer Online which was very similar to DAoC and thus very similar to WvW in here.

I am an egotistic player. I like being notorius. In fact, I think most people want to be famous. Games I’ve played, I always stand out, e.g. Warhammer Online, Aion. Warhammer Online was great for this. The flexibility of addons in Warhammer Online meant we could had kill counters – this tracked the number of kills by parsing the combat log and tallies top players with their number of kills. Other addons meant you could keep a record of every single player that has killed you and the number of times they have killed you. This added another dimension to fighting an eternal war. You wanted to get revenge on your nemesis out in the battlefield. Unfortunately I was a nemesis to a lot of enemy players, but I loved it and it made fighting an endless war a lot more interesting.

Having nemesis and being able to identify exceptional players on your side is all part of community building. After all, in a game where you never stop killing each other, the only thing you will be guaranteed to have in common with a stranger is that you want to kill… someone else… or… each other.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

Where do I ever ask for overpowered abilities? I’ve made suggestions to more talent points or even a more sideways progression instead of an up progression. I would just like my toon to grow the more I play it. As it is now, I’m already maxed out. Game is less than a month old and my toon is the best it will ever be unless i grind out a legendary which isnt worth the minimal power increase. How is that fun? The novelity of WvW is already wearing thin and I’m not even talking about the hacks/cheats/exploits. Its the same thing night after night already. The land is way to small so you cant roam, one server always dominates so you are either camped or are camping, and you kill people for no real reason.

Oh and this game is a bastion of no bugs/exploits/hacks and tons of content rite? Oh wait, its not. You bascially just called this game swtor. Stop being a fanboi and actually look at it. There ya go, take a good look. Look 6 months down the road where you are doing the SAME exact thing in WvW as you did today. Same gear. Same Spec. No progression at all. I’d put money on the fact that you will have moved on before that though. Most of you that are the most vocal about keeping it as it is will flee.

in WvW

Posted by: lala.4370

lala.4370

Where do I ever ask for overpowered abilities? I’ve made suggestions to more talent points or even a more sideways progression instead of an up progression. I would just like my toon to grow the more I play it. As it is now, I’m already maxed out. Game is less than a month old and my toon is the best it will ever be unless i grind out a legendary which isnt worth the minimal power increase. How is that fun? The novelity of WvW is already wearing thin and I’m not even talking about the hacks/cheats/exploits. Its the same thing night after night already. The land is way to small so you cant roam, one server always dominates so you are either camped or are camping, and you kill people for no real reason.

Oh and this game is a bastion of no bugs/exploits/hacks and tons of content rite? Oh wait, its not. You bascially just called this game swtor. Stop being a fanboi and actually look at it. There ya go, take a good look. Look 6 months down the road where you are doing the SAME exact thing in WvW as you did today. Same gear. Same Spec. No progression at all. I’d put money on the fact that you will have moved on before that though. Most of you that are the most vocal about keeping it as it is will flee.

What if you gained recognition, notoriety, infamy, bragging rights? Would you feel content after 6 months of WvW but no improvements in gear?

in WvW

Sky.9347

You do gain notoriety, infamy, bragging rights.

When you play a lot of W3, you play with the same people on your team. You get to know one another, and the cream rises to the top.

When you play against a rival server (with a similar rank), you get to know the guilds on that server. Individual names don’t mean anything – guilds do.

I think a lot of you guys are just getting burnt out, and without a constant incentive to play your mind is telling you it’s time to take a break. That might be a new feeling for you, but maybe you should abide by it and just take a break for a while.

I have no idea how or why you would fully max your character out so early in the game. Obviously just a playstyle difference, but I can imagine if I was in your shoes I would be a little burnt out too.

Maybe go play a subscription game and chase a carrot for a while. I predict you’ll be back.

in WvW

waeren.9743

Tarnin,

You do not get my point at all.

Yes, this game does need quite a bit of work. WvW is not exactly balanced out very well at the moment, bugs, hacks, the visible player “cap” and loading issue, … all need to go. Maps with a bit more space between objectives would be great, now you can’t put a foot outside of your base and potentially run into a zerg.

My point is that you should not get some advantage, be it a small advantage or an “overpowered” one. If you like the game then play it, add in rank, titles, cape, visual distinctions, a better commander system. I don’t see why having a trait advantage over people is needed.

If you’re capped out after another 2 months of wvw kill grinding you’ll be doing the exact same thing as you did today. Then again mindlessly grinding is something DAoC people seem to enjoy.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

When you play a lot of W3, you play with the same people on your team. You get to know one another, and the cream rises to the top.

When you play against a rival server (with a similar rank), you get to know the guilds on that server. Individual names don’t mean anything – guilds do.

I think a lot of you guys are just getting burnt out, and without a constant incentive to play your mind is telling you it’s time to take a break. That might be a new feeling for you, but maybe you should abide by it and just take a break for a while.

I have no idea how or why you would fully max your character out so early in the game. Obviously just a playstyle difference, but I can imagine if I was in your shoes I would be a little burnt out too.

Maybe go play a subscription game and chase a carrot for a while. I predict you’ll be back.

Because its too easy to max out your character. How can you NOT hit 80 and have exotics is beyond me. Maybe ANet only wants casuals? Anyone that isnt a casual is 80 is full exoitcs already and have hit the wall progression wise. If thats what they want thats fine. I don’t run their company and I don’t know their ultimate plan. From what I remember though GW1 was pretty hardcore so this flip in how the game moves isn’t what I expected. maybe they are too concerned with balance?

Again too, you have no perm rivalries which makes it even worse. The servers shuffle and you fight a new set of people. While interesting for about a day, it just goes to a grind because there isn’t that one guild/group/person who you have been trying to beat forever. Having recognition on your own server is an echo chamber, you want recognition from your enemies like “oh crap here comes X’s group, this is gonna be a good fight.” After 2 weeks that’s gone unless you happened to be in the top 4 or 5 servers and contently fight the same people over and over.

Again I will state, many of you are gen3 or 4 players who have no idea what it was like to play gen1 and 2 mmo’s. No more complication, no real depth, and super easy progression. You hit the wall in no time flat.

I can tell you never played DAoC or if you did you didn’t play long. It wasnt mindless. The number of options you had were huge. Group makeup alone would be a different play style completely. How many people in your group would change your play style. I can’t even explain how complex it was and how not mindless it was but seeing as your mentality is coming from the WoW generation you will never get it.

(edited by tarnin.1690)

in WvW

waeren.9743

I can’t understand how someone who played DAoC can claim that it had difficult progression. Korean grind mmo’s for life.

These 2nd gen mmo players

in WvW

Posted by: krakenstar.1674

krakenstar.1674

The main issue here is that even if I WvW none stop, and kill 100k people, I will be no better off toon wise than some scrub who ground out tokens in a dungeon and jumped in with 0 kills. * Oh, my skill will be higher, but the toons will be equal. * Makes no sense to me.

That, and you have a tight crew that understands the dynamics of RvR because you’ve been mashing brains while they grind dungeon mobs. How to gauge opponent strength, engagement distance, which skills to dodge, when to chase and when to flee, etc, etc etc, should be enough right there. If you’re still getting rolled by PUG zergs that pop in to have some casual random fun, you’re not as good as you think you are.

in WvW

Sky.9347

Because its too easy to max out your character. How can you NOT hit 80 and have exotics is beyond me. Maybe ANet only wants casuals? Anyone that isnt a casual is 80 is full exoitcs already and have hit the wall progression wise. If thats what they want thats fine. I don’t run their company and I don’t know their ultimate plan. From what I remember though GW1 was pretty hardcore so this flip in how the game moves isn’t what I expected. maybe they are too concerned with balance?

Again too, you have no perm rivalries which makes it even worse. The servers shuffle and you fight a new set of people. While interesting for about a day, it just goes to a grind because there isn’t that one guild/group/person who you have been trying to beat forever. Having recognition on your own server is an echo chamber, you want recognition from your enemies like “oh crap here comes X’s group, this is gonna be a good fight.” After 2 weeks that’s gone unless you happened to be in the top 4 or 5 servers and contently fight the same people over and over.

Again I will state, many of you are gen3 or 4 players who have no idea what it was like to play gen1 and 2 mmo’s. No more complication, no real depth, and super easy progression. You hit the wall in no time flat.

I can tell you never played DAoC or if you did you didn’t play long. It wasnt mindless. The number of options you had were huge. Group makeup alone would be a different play style completely. How many people in your group would change your play style. I can’t even explain how complex it was and how not mindless it was but seeing as your mentality is coming from the WoW generation you will never get it.

The WoW generation? I’m afraid not. I come from the UO generation.

In fact, I couldn’t stomach WoW because I don’t want to try to keep up with constant tiers of armor and grinding just to be on a level playing field.

You are trying very hard to insult me, I know, but the fact is I don’t want anything “handed” to me. I also don’t want any mechanical edge over a brand new player.

I’ve played PvP in this game since the very first BWE. I can tell you with the utmost confidence that any newcomer to this game would be crushed under my heel. Not because I have some amazing gear or ability advantage, but because I can play the game far better than they can and I probably know their class 10x better than they do themselves.

That isn’t going to change. I have far more “skill” in GW2 PvP than anyone who is going to purchase the game today. I do not need or want any sort of system based advantage to prove my excellence. I want to EARN that respect. I want my enemies to KNOW I am not “geared up” to a point they could only hope to achieve after weeks or months of grinding… I want them to KNOW me and my guild because we have actual skill – even if we have lives and are “casual” players.

And when I get my butt handed to me, I know it was because I just got outplayed. It wasn’t that I took a month long break and missed the latest PvP gear update – I have no excuse except that I failed.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

The main issue here is that even if I WvW none stop, and kill 100k people, I will be no better off toon wise than some scrub who ground out tokens in a dungeon and jumped in with 0 kills. * Oh, my skill will be higher, but the toons will be equal. * Makes no sense to me.

That, and you have a tight crew that understands the dynamics of RvR because you’ve been mashing brains while they grind dungeon mobs. How to gauge opponent strength, engagement distance, which skills to dodge, when to chase and when to flee, etc, etc etc, should be enough right there. If you’re still getting rolled by PUG zergs that pop in to have some casual random fun, you’re not as good as you think you are.

With cooldowns, a pug zerg will win 100% of the time unless you run. They will eventually over run you. You can only dodge so much, you can only hit your abilities so often, etc… Cool downs even the playing field, which ANet wants. no matter how good you are a mass of slobbering scrubs will just eventually steamroll over you.

in WvW

Sky.9347

Oh – and to answer your question about how I can not be maxed out.

Well, I created every single profession… and I am leveling them all through W3. I do craft and explore the map (I ignore most hearts, unless I need some cooking vegetables or I enjoy doing whatever it is I am supposed to do) while waiting for queues, but 90% of my time is spent in W3.

Sometimes, if W3 is lacking or frustrating, I will spend my night playing sPvP which offers no PvE rewards or XP.

So I am playing the game without any real concern for being maxed out or whatever. I will get there soon (my Guardian is starting to level VERY quickly – KICKkitten GRANNIT!), but it isn’t going to change the way I play the game.

in WvW

Sky.9347

With cooldowns, a pug zerg will win 100% of the time unless you run. They will eventually over run you. You can only dodge so much, you can only hit your abilities so often, etc… Cool downs even the playing field, which ANet wants. no matter how good you are a mass of slobbering scrubs will just eventually steamroll over you.

It sounds like you are talking about a situation where you are vastly outnumbered.

I think you should lose in that type of situation. If the numbers are somewhat close to even, I have a strong feeling you are going to inflict some major pain on that pug-zerg, and may even fracture their cohesion.

If the numbers are closer to equal, it isn’t the same situation.

20 very casual players dabbling in W3 vs. 10 W3 veterans who spend nearly everyday fighting for their homeworld

I almost garuntee the 10 vets will win that everytime. Even outnumbered 2:1. Even without any major mechanical advantage.

in WvW

Posted by: Von.2790

Von.2790

Please stop trying to rationalize what must be wrong with us that we’re not like you. We’re different people with different personalities. I don’t call you a bland human being, or OCD for liking the same thing over and over again. We get the point, you don’t want any potentially unbalancing additions.

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Think your wrong, as i se it the most importent is that its fun to PVP, to have PVP for getting better gear, stats, buffs is bad.

in WvW

Sky.9347

Please stop trying to rationalize what must be wrong with us that we’re not like you. We’re different people with different personalities. I don’t call you a bland human being, or OCD for liking the same thing over and over again. We get the point, you don’t want any potentially unbalancing additions.

Well, thank you for getting my point.

I did not mean to say there is anything wrong with anyone who doesn’t agree. I am just trying to forcefully argue against it, and point out that GW2 was designed with a philosophy that is directly opposed to this suggestion.

I apologize if anything I have said was taken personally or offensively. It is not my intention or my purpose.

PS – I still think you’re wrong. ;-)

in WvW

tarnin.1690

It sounds like you are talking about a situation where you are vastly outnumbered.

I think you should lose in that type of situation. If the numbers are somewhat close to even, I have a strong feeling you are going to inflict some major pain on that pug-zerg, and may even fracture their cohesion.

20 very casual players dabbling in W3 vs. 10 W3 veterans who spend nearly everyday fighting for their homeworld

I almost garuntee the 10 vets will win that everytime. Even outnumbered 2:1. Even without any major mechanical advantage.

I hate using DAoC all the time for this but its WvW, you can tell its modeled after RvR, and it has great potential So, in DAoC, your 8man had a chance to kill 100 noob rush. It was possible and I’ve done it. The only limiting factor was endurance for fighters and power for casters. With potions/gems and proper healing, you could just extend the 100 noobs out and cull them over time. Here, because of cool downs you cannot. You CAN kill 2x maybe even 3x doing that but your timers would eventually catch up to you and you will be steam rolled. Simply being able to dodge roll though snares to help with extension is something that kills that entire style of play too.

I just want a more dynamic WvW experience. More customization and more progression even if its slow. Its not like you were hammering out RR’s at RR9+ no matter who you fought. Hell, I’d love more complexity too. This one gem slot is kinda meh.

Oh and capes. I want capes!

in WvW

Sky.9347

I think there is a lot here we can agree on.

I would LOVE to see things like the Map Completion Badge designed for WvW. Little icons that display prominently next to your name, showing some sort of rank or achievement. Make it SUPER hard to get, something that a guy like me would probably never finish.

More customization sounds awesome to me. Super rare skins, or dyes, or even insignia for guilds to re-make their guild crest if they are heavy into WvW… all excellent stuff.

If anyone puts up a thread with these things, I will be there promoting it and begging ANet to listen to it.

in WvW

Posted by: hex.3218

hex.3218

I’d slow clap this. I’d slow clap this so hard…

But one thing. I like the server rotation. And trust me, there’s some fear and bad blood out there already.

Calm Little Buddy
JQQ

in WvW

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

Daoc vet here. Loved that game. Came to it from UO which in my mind was the perfect MMO in it’s day.

Sadly I don’t think games will be like that again. There is this “fast food” mentality about MMO’s today. Everyone needs stuff and it all has to be FAST. Imagine in this game if you died then had to spawn in your realm and wait 10 minutes on a portal pad to get back to WvW. That wouldn’t fly here but that subtle punishment for death made surviving out in RvR that much sweeter.

I played a stealther(Scout) and getting very deep into the enemy lands solo was something I loved to do. It would sometimes take an hour just to get where I wanted to safely. I did it because it was a ton of fun to kill people in places they hardly expected. Then they would report back to their boarder keep that I was out there and familiar enemies would come out to hunt me down.

I ended up playing Aion with former Daoc enemies. They grew into little online e-friendships. No way that’s even possible anymore with current games.

People also focus on “fairness” a lot now. Why should a RR10 had an advantage over an RR2 just because they played more/longer? For whatever reason in Daoc’s day, no one cared. High RR players were reviled or respected and it was great.

If they could capture Daoc somehow I would be all for it, but I don’t hold out hope. Our best bet is “World of Darkness” being developed by CCP. You will only get that type of gameplay from a company that can put the game as an “art” above mass player whines.

edit: I should add I’m still having an absolute blast playing Guild Wars 2. Nothing against ANet, they did a great job. It’s actually the closest thing to the Daoc model I’ve seen. It’s just the gaming culture now days doesn’t allow for a Daoc to exist.

(edited by Stiv.1820)

in WvW

tarnin.1690

Daoc vet here. Loved that game. Came to it from UO which in my mind was the perfect MMO in it’s day.

Sadly I don’t think games will be like that again. There is this “fast food” mentality about MMO’s today. Everyone needs stuff and it all has to be FAST. Imagine in this game if you died then had to spawn in your realm and wait 10 minutes on a portal pad to get back to WvW. That wouldn’t fly here but that subtle punishment for death made surviving out in RvR that much sweeter.

I played a stealther(Scout) and getting very deep into the enemy lands solo was something I loved to do. It would sometimes take an hour just to get where I wanted to safely. I did it because it was a ton of fun to kill people in places they hardly expected. Then they would report back to their boarder keep that I was out there and familiar enemies would come out to hunt me down.

I ended up playing Aion with former Daoc enemies. They grew into little online e-friendships. No way that’s even possible anymore with current games.

If they could capture Daoc somehow I would be all for it, but I don’t hold out hope. Our best bet is “World of Darkness” being developed by CCP. You will only get that type of gameplay from a company that can put the game as an “art” above mass player whines.

edit: I should add I’m still having an absolute blast playing Guild Wars 2. Nothing against ANet, they did a great job. It’s actually the closest thing to the Daoc model I’ve seen. It’s just the gaming culture now days doesn’t allow for a Daoc to exist.

Ahh yes, scouts. Shield slam… on a ranged. Nasty. Used to run into Scount a lot soloing on my eld. Loved that guy. Great player. And waiting on the pad before the combined frontier ughh. “I JUST MISSED PORT AHHH” as they slowly, every so slow wander their way back upstairs.

I agree, and fast food MMO is perfect. You are right, most player don’t want the complexity of DAoC. Getting to 50 originally wasn’t easy at all. No pbaoe groups, no focus pull groups, just straight up grind to 50 which took quite a while. Building your suit later on took a while if you wanted perfect min/max. Then put on the right tincs and there ya go. Then craft up a few 100qual lv 5 weapons to put 10 dd charges on it as an interrupt stick. Oh, and if its not a arti, get a few backups because they will eventually break completely and be unrepairable.

in WvW

waeren.9743

If you want the type of grind you keep mentioning there are still plenty of games around where min/maxing your character takes a significant amount of time.

I really don’t understand the need to whine that this is not the case for gw2. It should have been obvious that it’s not that type of game.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

If you want the type of grind you keep mentioning there are still plenty of games around where min/maxing your character takes a significant amount of time.

I really don’t understand the need to whine that this is not the case for gw2. It should have been obvious that it’s not that type of game.

You are thick. It was never a “grind” that’s the point. The previous poster pinned you… Fast Food MMO Player. That’s you. You want it now, and you want it bland. This game has a TON of potential if they decide to work on WvW. If not, it will be swtor in 3 months and another filler wowlite while people who like to think continue to look for a good game.

[edit] The PvE in DAoC was a grind. But the real game didn’t start until you hit 50 and RvRed full time. That’s what this game is. Super fast PvE, and now PvP. Issue? PvP is bland with no progression. But you think its fine because that’s that type of player you are. Sadly, that never sustains a game. Even you will get bored and move on shortly. Let’s hope they don’t listen to the type of player you are or this will be a ghost town.

(edited by tarnin.1690)

in WvW

Posted by: Von.2790

Von.2790

I think we’re just going around in circles at this point folks.

in WvW

Sky.9347

Someone in another post nailed it, I think.

ANet did not expect WvW to be as popular as it is. Therefore, it was released with far less fluff than sPvP and tPvP. I am certain they are working on things to achieve.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

We are, I’m just hoping the dev’s dont listen to them. They want bland and ezmode. That never sustains a game. We want progression and complexity. That DOES sustain a game. The people who would flee if they made the game more complex would never stay after 6months anyway.

in WvW

Sky.9347

We are, I’m just hoping the dev’s dont listen to them. They want bland and ezmode. That never sustains a game. We want progression and complexity. That DOES sustain a game. The people who would flee if they made the game more complex would never stay after 6months anyway.

Using the word “complex” doesn’t encompass what you’re arguing for here, though.

Complexity is fine, even desirable. Mechanical advantages over other players is not.

Perhaps it is a slight distinction, but I think it is an important one that could affect your chances of success with the development team.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

Using the word “complex” doesn’t encompass what you’re arguing for here, though.

Complexity is fine, even desirable. Mechanical advantages over other players is not.

Perhaps it is a slight distinction, but I think it is an important one that could affect your chances of success with the development team.

The issue I believe that you and I are disagreeing about is that you think im asking for the overpowered RR system that DAoC had. I’m not. I’m asking for progression, even if its sideways (ala Champion Levels) or just more talent points. Heck, you could even do a wow thing were at a certain RR you can get certain weapsons that are pvp based, i don’t know. Just something that gives progress forward.

Complexity unfortunately I don’t ever see coming to any new MMO. With WoW setting the bar somewhere around drool on kb to win, we are kinda screwed there.

in WvW

waeren.9743

And I’m just hoping they won’t listen to you

Add the progression, add the complexity I’m all up for that. But please keep your “we need our time sink skills to carry my scrubkitten #8221; things out of this.

And really stop using the DAoC card, I have yet to meet a DAoC player with decent individual skill. (Though most roamers seem to have the group play part down at least)

in WvW

Posted by: hitsauce.1075

hitsauce.1075

WvW shouldn’t have any strict advantage restrictions. If you want PvP restrictions, then you should play PvP map or tournament as intended by Anet to demonstrate your skills.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

Add the progression, add the complexity I’m all up for that. But please keep your "we need our time sink skills to carry my scrubkitten things out of this.

And really stop using the DAoC card, I have yet to meet a DAoC player with decent individual skill. (Though most roamers seem to have the group play part down at least)

That’s because most players in DAoC were 8man or small man players. Not solo artists. We knew group dynamics, not fotm instawin invisies. Oh, there were those players too but a large majority were 8man. If you think solo or zerg is anything about skill, I can understand how you think. Neither are skill. Invisies pick the ez targets, and zergs are mindless machines rolling around beating on doors.

Oh, and any game that does a realm vs realm style will be compaired to the game that started it. Sorry your a late gen player.

in WvW

waeren.9743

Add the progression, add the complexity I’m all up for that. But please keep your "we need our time sink skills to carry my scrubkitten things out of this.

That’s because most players in DAoC were 8man or small man players. Not solo artists. We knew group dynamics, not fotm instawin invisies. Oh, there were those players too but a large majority were 8man. If you think solo or zerg is anything about skill, I can understand how you think. Neither are skill. Invisies pick the ez targets, and zergs are mindless machines rolling around beating on doors.

Oh, and any game that does a realm vs realm style will be compaired to the game that started it. Sorry your a late gen player.

Ah the self proclaimed old school mmo player attitude, haven’t seen it this bad in a while. Do you honestly think that DAoC was the first mmo that had roaming pvp?

At least you’re consistent in being off in your assumptions, it sounds like you never left the DAoC boards.

Anyway, feel free to continue your looping messages and just ignoring what was said. Guess that comes from the years of getting carried.

in WvW

tarnin.1690

I had roaming forced side vs side. It was the first to do so. Again, you fast food mmo players are what are making the current and next gen mmo’s bland, unintresting, and down right boring.

in WvW

Posted by: krakenstar.1674

krakenstar.1674

This has been my experience in RvR as well. I cannot claim to be great at this game yet as I’m an old man now and no longer game as I use to. But when I’m on comms with a small group of 5 we can usually take out 8.. maybe 10. You can tell who is skilled and who is not straight away. And we have been only at RvR together for a week as we have jobs and kids. 3 of 5 are DAoC days all the way from beta DAoC.

If you’re being run over by mass of slobbering scrubs because you’re on cooldowns, it is your fault and you’re just as scrubby as they are for failing to properly assess the situation. You’ve taken on more than you can chew.

Learn to burst 1 down, kill him off, back up, swap weapon, pressure and heal up, swap to burst, and re-engage and repeat. Properly made roaming-killing team of 5 made to for a nice team romp will not have problems killing 10 “generic WvW solo” PUGs. If you do, learn to play better GW2.

So please, not every who disagree with you about RPs and realm ranks are scrubs or WoW kids. Now there are problems right now that makes the 8v8 or small man days hard to accomplish here.

1 – Maps needs to be bigger. about 2x distances from one objective to another at least. Right now its hard to roam without running into the zerg, outside a handful of out of the way places. fighting at those places is getting boring.

2 – Invisible peoples! A few times we’ve engage thinking that we can take them, when they are actually 3-4 times the size. Now we tend to face off and circle for quite a bit (maybe 30 – 45 seconds) to wait for everyone to load before we engage. This sucks and we lose the surprise -shock troop advantage.

3 – hackers. stop the speedhackers. Due to our team composition and skill choice we know when some are abnormally fast because our team is made to Roam FAST. The hackers have it on a 10%-15% speed increase so they are not noticeable but they are noticeable to us.