Chose Priory, ended up in Vigil

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Tehl.8135

Tehl.8135

I’m playing through the Personal Story alongside a friend, and just reached the end of Chapter 3, the choice of which Order to join. I chose the Priory by completing the quest A Meeting of the Minds, and my friend chose the Vigil by completing Rakt and Ruin (we’re both playing Asura). We then continued to Lion’s Arch and completed Setting the Stage, which we played together in the same story instance, which was started by my friend.

At the end of the instance, I was offered the choice to accept story credit for completing this step, or to stay at my current step. Since there are no choices to be made in Setting the Stage, I accepted credit and left the instance.

However, rather than advancing me to Dredging up the Past in Chapter 4, my next quest is A Fragile Peace, which is the Vigil quest line. Although my Story Journal still shows me as selecting the Priory, I’m now on the Vigil quest, and unable to continue with the order that I chose. Screenshots of my completed and in-progress Story Journal.

I’ve submitted a bug report ingame, as well as a support ticket through the website. And while the excellent GM Xbehelit was very helpful in taking the time to investigate the problem, he informed me that support cannot make changes to Personal Story and there’s nothing they can do to correct this issue, meaning that I’m stuck in the Vigil for the rest of the story. I was offered the option of taking Tomes of Knowledge to re-create my character and boost back to my current level, but I’ve played for over 40 hours at this point, levelled crafting disciplines and spent cash on appearance kits, so I’m not willing to start over as a result of this.

I know it’s a long shot, but I’m hoping someone from the dev team might be able to take a look at this, or pass me on to someone who can help – support don’t seem to have an escalation route for this kind of issue, so this is my only remaining port of call. Or at least, hopefully the underlying bug with accepting quest credit can be resolved so that this doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It’s not a bug, but intended. If you accept the progress of someone else’s storyline, the game will place you on their track so you can continue to play with them for the remainder of the arc. At the end of the level arc, you will be placed back upon your own storyline track.

You can use Google to find the Dev (Jeffrey Vaughn) response about this, if you so desire.

Good luck.

Tehl.8135

It looks like you’re right – I found a number of posts from Jeffrey which do indeed state that I should revert to my own story after the current chapter ends. Thank you for the information

Kinda annoying, since it means I’m going to miss the main part of the Priory storyline, and it absolutely wasn’t clear when accepting the story credit that this is what would happen. Also somewhat frustrating that support didn’t know this – I have specific statements from two different GMs that I’m permanently part of the Vigil from now on, which directly contradicts what Jeffrey has described should happen. I guess the only thing to do at this point is to play on and see what happens.

If anyone else is interested, posts from Jeffrey Vaughn discussing this issue can be found at:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Bug-in-personal-story-1
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Stuck-in-wrong-storyline-Please-help
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Order-of-Tyria-switched-from-Vigil-to-OOW

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Here we go again… once more a badly implemented mechanic has mislead someone… I wonder when they will realize that this bad design choice is more confusing than helpful… But well, since it’s at the core of the game and basically it’s there since release and based on other bad design choices that confuses more than help (looking at you NPE..), I would not hold my breath in that hope… (although I believe that simple change to that prompt could lessen the issue…) :/

(edited by shadow.6174)

Tehl.8135

Update: as per Jeffrey’s posts as pointed out by Inculpatus cedo, at the end of Chapter 4 I did indeed revert to the Priory storyline. Upon completing Minister’s Defense, the final Vigil story step, I returned to Vigil Keep to meet Almorra Soulkeeper and made my selection for the next arc (investigating the minor races), making sure to do so in my own story instance and not alongside my friend. The next quest step was to meet up with “my mentor” out in the field, and when I arrived I was met by Sieran, the Priory mentor, so it appears my original choice is being properly respected now that I’m out of Chapter 4. I’m also unable to buy from the Vigil weapons/armour dealers, so it looks like I’m back on course.