Engineer Bugs compilation

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

So it’s been just over 2 months from the day the Aetherblade patch hit. The Balance team decided to freeze the meta in preparation for the PAX Tournament for nearly 2 months, but as a result, there have been little to no changes with regard to profession bugs and other issues.

I also couldn’t find another thread that had moved the outstanding Engineer bugs and issues to the Game Bugs forum. Hopefully this thread can compile most of them and bring some QoL to this unfinished class.

Magnet Pull

Magnet pull has been bugged for a fair while now, with no
acknowledgement or fix in sight.
The key issue seems to be that Magnet Pull becomes highly buggy when on uneven terrain; although sometimes it bugs out regardless.
The bugged pull can:

• do a 1 second Knockdown on foes but leave them at their position
  • throw an enemy high into the air, then rubberband them until they hit the ground
  • pull only half the distance, then stop

This is despite balance changes to Magnet Pull that prohibited it from being used against targets not within the Engineer’s “frontal” LoS; whilst increasing its range . Surely at some point during the balance changes there must have been a bug introduced; and this should be fixed.

Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

(edited by MonMalthias.4763)

MonMalthias.4763

Fast Acting Elixirs
Fast Acting Elixirs provides no benefit to Thrown Elixirs on the Toolbelt, nor does it affect Elixir Gun skills that are demarked Elixirs, such as Elixir F or Healing Mist or Acid Bomb or Super Elixir .

• Despite being listed on the wiki page as a bug, this is more of a Tooltip issue associated with the trait. Hopefully Karl’s tooltip fixes outlined in the GW2Guru September SOTG will encompass this issue to bring more clarity to Engineer’s skill tooltips.
    In a class that is already designed to feature a high skill floor, the skill floor should not be artificially increased by bad tooltip information.

Drop Antidote
The tooltip implies that conditions (Plural) are cleansed when in fact only 1 is cleansed.
In addition, the hitbox of Drop Antidote is so small that it does not prove to be of any use when Immobilised .

• The tooltip implying that plural conditions are cleansed should be altered to “Cleanses 1 condition”
  • The hitbox of Drop Antidote should be altered or its dropping position changed to be truly at the Engineer’s feet.

Static Discharge
Static Discharge procs on toolbelt skills without a target fly straight into the ground.
Toolbelt skills without a target include:

• Thrown Elixirs B, C, H, R, S, U
  • As far as I can tell, the Static Discharge proc flies at a highly exaggerated camera angle into the ground, which forces one to aim the camera upwards towards the sky to be able to land the skillshot. The target’s feet must be at the Engineer’s head assuming the ground is perfectly flat to be able to strike true.

A fix could be such that the skillshot always emanates parallel to the ground, as is with Net Shot . Alternatively, an offset may be applied to the z-axis component of the Static Discharge skillshot such that such an exaggerated upwards camera angle is not required.

MonMalthias.4763

The Detonate Turret Tool belt skill is not instant when activating another Tool Belt skill.

Explanation: It has no cast time like other instant Tool Belt skills except they can be activated simultaneously with other Tool belt skills, This is not the case with Detonate Turret. You must wait until the current tool belt skill animation is completed before the turret detonates and the skill can be activated. You may also cast Detonate Turret simultaneously with any other action you preform except your Tool Belt skills..

Side note: (Also you cannot activate detonate turret from downed state, Which is probably intended but I feel it should work similar to the Rangers pet skills being available while downed.) My opinion is that Rangers already have very powerful downed state abilities, the ability to use pets when downed is even more of an advantage where Engineer down states are very poor, arguably one of the worst.

I’m just going to quote this from the other page.

Right now if you are running multiple turrets, say, Healing Turret and Rifle Turret , you are unable to do something like this Consistently :

This is because activating Regenerating Mist introduces a casting animation that also has aftercast . Detonate Rifle Turret is queued up for casting ; but does not execute until the whole Regenerating Mist casting is completed.

If playing on relatively high latency, say, 200+ms ping, this introduces issues where it is nigh-impossible to do an Area Healing Combo without spamming Turret Detonate.

Given that Turret Detonate skills have no cast time ; they should be taken off the GCD just like any other Instant Cast skill. To keep them on the GCD further reduces the combo field potential of the Turret Engineer, which is a build that suffers enough from shonky AI and a host of other problems.

MonMalthias.4763

There is currently a bug with the “Deployable Turrets” trait allowing turrets to be detonated whilst they are in mid air, and then once again when they land on the ground.
The Mid-air detonation does not cause a Blast finisher, nor does it deal damage like a normally detonated turret does, however it does proc the “Static Discharge” trait; Allowing for a double discharge if turrets are detonated right before they hit the ground.

I’m also going to go ahead and re-link Anymras’s Turret Bug list, for completeness purposes. That list has been acknowledged, however, when it comes to fixing Engineer bugs it seems that only when a bug is posted on the PvP forums ; or when it potentially nerfs us, that it is fixed in a timely fashion.

Turrets also suffer from firing rate issues as related in this thread .

It appears that Turrets have firing rates far slower than advertised on tooltip, which is causing Overcharges to go “missing” (Their duration times out but Turret does not fire due to firing rate too low) .

MonMalthias.4763

Shield 5 – Throw Shield – is not a 100% Projectile Finisher.

Couldn’t be demonstrated any more clearly than in the above Youtube video.

Originally posted by Brew Pinch:

Flame Jet
Animation is 600+ range yet the skill is only effective to 425 range.

Fumigate

This bug affects all auto-attacks which use the flame jet animation. This includes a few ‘pick-up’ weapons found around the open world

Similar cone AoE skills are effective to 600 range, therefore I assume that the bug is in the effective range of the “Flame Jet” type skills, not in the range of the animation.

Bombs are still attacking 20% slower on land than they do under water. (0.75s vs. 0.9s)

This is an animation issue where Bombs and Grenades have a 20% slower cast time on land than under water.

The animation for the underwater casting of Bombs and Grenades is very smooth and very fast. It actually appears as though Bombs and Grenades underwater have no aftercast delay, which would explain the slower casting times.

Another explanation is the fusing time of Bombs in particular on land vs underwater. Bombs have a longer fuse on land than underwater and as such detonate slower than underwater bombs. It makes landing finishers underwater with Bombs a lot easier than on land.

A fix for this could be either to

• Remove aftercast delay of Bombs and Grenades (introduces balance issues due to increased DPS) or
  • Reduce fusing time of Bombs in particular or
  • Reducing the frames for the bomb placement animation (non trivial)

(edited by MonMalthias.4763)

Posted by: NevirSayDie.6235

NevirSayDie.6235

Great compilation. I don’t have any others to add.

Posted by: hash.6287

hash.6287

Great job. Lf devs.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

There is currently a bug with the “Deployable Turrets” trait allowing turrets to be detonated whilst they are in mid air, and then once again when they land on the ground.
The Mid-air detonation does not cause a Blast finisher, nor does it deal damage like a normally detonated turret does, however it does proc the “Static Discharge” trait; Allowing for a double discharge if turrets are detonated right before they hit the ground.

I’m also going to go ahead and re-link Anymras’s Turret Bug list, for completeness purposes. That list has been acknowledged, however, when it comes to fixing Engineer bugs it seems that only when a bug is posted on the PvP forums ; or when it potentially nerfs us, that it is fixed in a timely fashion.

Sums up ANet’s attitude to skill and trait maintenance perfectly. If it is not mentioned on the SPVP sub-forum, it does not exist. Gotta love their e-sport kitten…

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

Flame Jet

Fumigate

This bug affects all auto-attacks which use the flame jet animation. This includes a few ‘pick-up’ weapons found around the open world

Similar cone AoE skills are effective to 600 range, therefore I assume that the bug is in the effective range of the “Flame Jet” type skills, not in the range of the animation.

(edited by Brew Pinch.5731)

MonMalthias.4763

@Brew Pinch:
I’d completely forgotten about the range and animation of Flame Jet, even though I use Fumigate all the time.

After a while I just got used to it and forgot about it.

I’ll add it to my other posts.

digiowl.9620

Actually, it would be the animation. The tooltip for flame jet give a range of 425 (fumigate 450).

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

I have a “small” situational bug to add. Harpoon guns dont work under water on worm like creatures. The game aims slightly above the creature which causes my char to miss all harpoon specific attacks.

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

I’ve escalated multiple issues from this list.

Thanks for the compiling these bugs, MonMalthias.

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

While you are escalating these bugs Josh, check on the 6th bonus of Lyssa Rune please. Would help not only engineers, but EVERYONE out to not waste their money with this rune until fixed since practically game release its been bugged. (Last I checked on these forums, for engineers in particular Supply Crate)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

While you are escalating these bugs Josh, check on the 6th bonus of Lyssa Rune please. Would help not only engineers, but EVERYONE out to not waste their money with this rune until fixed since practically game release its been bugged. (Last I checked on these forums, for engineers in particular Supply Crate)

He has mentioned previously that they are working on the Lyssa runes. Now it is a game of patience for the fix to go in.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Runes-of-Speed-not-giving-6-piece-bonus/2788751

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Knox.8962

Knox.8962

Bombs are still attacking 20% slower on land than they do under water. (0.75s vs. 0.9s)

Posted by: Terminal Gaijin.5426

Terminal Gaijin.5426

Another bug with kits is that the kit is still visible when you go invisible due to someones skill. When a thief uses the area stealth kit and my asura engi is in it, I get stealthed but my flamethrower back does not.

MonMalthias.4763

@Terminal Gaijin:
Whilst the kit is still visible to you, it is actually invisible to foes while stealthed. Doing Leaps and Blasts into Smoke Fields will still grant you fully working Stealth.

I agree with you in that it’s a cosmetic issue, but it really doesn’t matter that much in the overall scheme of things – the Stealth is functional, which is really all that matters when doing Stealth plays.

MonMalthias.4763

I’ve escalated multiple issues from this list.

Thanks for the compiling these bugs, MonMalthias.

@Josh Davis:
Thanks for acknowledging the bug list!

When playing Engineer one gets used to the bugs and plays around them. I know I have been for the past year.

MonMalthias.4763

One last thing:

Various Traits of the Engineer have poorly worded tooltips that imply something else entirely. It requires actually knowing the class and fully testing a trait to know what it does instead of trusting the tooltip. This can be a trap for newer players. One shouldn’t have to visit the forum or test things extensively in the Mists before pickup up and playing with a Trait. Internal cooldowns are also poorly enumerated.

I’ll start in Explosives and work my way down.

Shrapnel
Explosions have a 15% chance to cause bleeding.
Tooltip description should instead read:

• Explosions have a 15% chance to cause 1 stack of Bleeding for 12 seconds.

Forceful Explosives
Bombs and mines have a larger explosion radius.

This is the vaguest trait description ever. Tooltip description should instead read:

• Bombs and Mines have their Area of Effect increased by 50%
  • (Balance opinion) I personally believe that this trait increases the radius too much, whilst the base radii of Bombs and Mines is largely useless without it. A middle ground between the two should be found.

Accelerant-Packed Turrets
Turrets explode when killed. When your turrets explode, they push back foes.

Putting aside how badly placed the trait is and how narrow the application is, it does seem to imply that Detonate Turret would trigger the pushback. It doesn’t. The tooltip text should instead read:

• Turrets explode and push back foes when killed.

MonMalthias.4763

Firearms

Modified Ammunition
Damage is increased by 2% per condition on the target, when wielding a rifle or pistol .

There seems to be a trend in various subforums to ask about whether the %damage multipliers triggered by #conditions on target affect the damage done by DPS conditions or not. Obviously the answer is no, it only affects White damage, not Red ticks, but a new player can’t know that. The description should instead read:

• Direct damage is increased by 2% per condition on the target, when wielding a rifle or pistol.
  • (Balance opinion) This does not make for a worthy Grandmaster, build-defining trait. Surely something more inventive than a DPS increase is warranted for 30 points.

Alchemy

Automated Response
Condition duration is reduced by 100% when health is below 25%.

This tooltip was changed from the original text as of the Aetherblade/Dhuumfire patch and I would argue that the new description is even more misleading than the original text; which read as follows:

Become immune to conditions when health is below 25%.

The tooltip text should instead read:

• Become immune to newly applied conditions while health is below 25%. Pre-existing conditions remain.
    or
    At 25% health, gain immunity to newly applied conditions. Pre-existing conditions are not removed.

Tools

Inertial Converter
When health reaches 25%, your tool belt skills recharge.

The tooltip should instead read:

• When health reaches 25%, your tool belt skills recharge. 90 second cooldown

Kit Refinement
Equipping a kit creates an attack or a spell.

When this trait was “reworked” (nerfed into the ground), the tooltip was left neglected and was not updated to reflect the new global cooldown. The description should instead read:

• Equipping a kit creates an attack or a spell. 20 Global Cooldown.

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

MonMalthias,

Like Chap and I mentioned in the last State of the Game, we’re working in implementing a trait fact system that should give updated tooltips including radius, range, cooldown, duration, etc. That should take care of a lot of the issues you just mentioned.

No eta on that coming out, but I’ve seen it in action and it’s pretty sweet.

digiowl.9620

Forceful Explosives
Bombs and mines have a larger explosion radius.

This is the vaguest trait description ever. Tooltip description should instead read:

• Bombs and Mines have their Area of Effect increased by 50%
  • (Balance opinion) I personally believe that this trait increases the radius too much, whilst the base radii of Bombs and Mines is largely useless without it. A middle ground between the two should be found.

On that note, i have noticed that i often can hurt mobs with the increased blast radius even though they are not within autoattack range. Meaning that the auto-attack range is slightly shorter than the improved radius. Not sure if it is using the old radius as range still, or some middle ground between the old and the new.

MonMalthias.4763

@Knox:
The same can also be said of Grenades. However, I believe that this is an animation issue, which will be non-trivial to fix. That said, I will add it to the compilation posts.

Posted by: Foxpaw.2965

Foxpaw.2965

Just going to list off the bugs I notice when I play my female charr engineer. :/

The Charr racial’s ‘Hidden Pistol’s tool-belt ability is suffering an animation bug where the character fires ahead like normal, but the guns are facing straight up. (The bug seems to affect the ability in general, whether it is the tool-belt ability or the ability itself.)

Hidden Pistol and it’s tool-belt counterpart (which is very similiar to the Thiefs Barrage ability while wielding a Pistol) are not affected by traits that should affect pistol abilities.

The left strafe uses the right strafe animation. (After going back, it seems this bug affects all female charr, no matter the profession.)

The trait function Static Discharge does not seem to fire nearly as often as it should and when it does, there is a very good chance it simply fires into the ground in front of the avatar.

Attachments: