Female human only has 1 animation now

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: aop.6052

aop.6052

This just comfirms that people will NEVER be satisfied whatever anet does. This kittenstorm of profanity comming their way just because they removed human female idle animation? Are you serious?? That’s why we can’t have nice things.

Do you seriously expect people to be satisfied when stuff they have had for 2 years is taken away from them?

If so how stupid are you?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Of all the things players can get worked up about… THIS is what bubbles up?

Just goes to show someone will find a way to kittened off about anything.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

This just comfirms that people will NEVER be satisfied whatever anet does. This kittenstorm of profanity comming their way just because they removed human hemale idle animation? Are you serious?? That’s why we can’t have nice things.

Here’s a brilliant thing you should ask yourself before saying something along the lines of people not being satisfied with what they do: what have they done to tick so many people off, and why have they done it? The reason people are never satisfied is because they KEEP DOING THINGS LIKE THIS. Who the hell asked for these kinds of changes? Why are they imposing it on us? What have I done to ANet to deserve them killing aspects of a race/sex choice I made in this game that I purchased? Are you serious that you can’t see the problem in all this? “We can’t have nice things” because people like you seem to think ANet can do no wrong and people like you that don’t care about keeping what nice things this game had, and all that will be left is a grey mass where once vibrant things used to be.

Enough is enough.

(edited by Kamui.4038)

Posted by: doctorfaust.9361

doctorfaust.9361

This is really disappointing. Even as far back as the beta weekends I was really impressed with how lifelike the characters seemed, in large part because of the multiple idle animations (weapon-specific ones too etc.)

Hopefully we can get a red post soon either explicitly stating it’s a bug, or explicitly stating the reasons things were changed, rather than making this another undocumented removal a la the personal story steps etc.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

And if they would put it back then please also put the original female walking animation back.

Also add a few like a female blink followed by a hand kiss. When doing /flirt.

Devata.6589

Great new!! It’s considered a bug! That means it get fixed.

Please also fix the bug of the female walking animation being gone! That has been around for a long long time!!!

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

This topic just got moved to the Game Bugs section. Is this confirmation that’s it a bug, or did you just want to bury it in a forum subsection so nobody can see it?

Kamui.4038

Great new!! It’s considered a bug! That means it get fixed.

Please also fix the bug of the female walking animation being gone! That has been around for a long long time!!!

God I hope you are correct.

This topic just got moved to the Game Bugs section. Is this confirmation that’s it a bug, or did you just want to bury it in a forum subsection so nobody can see it?

I hope it’s the former and not the latter. Please ANet, don’t mess with our characters…

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

This just comfirms that people will NEVER be satisfied whatever anet does. This kittenstorm of profanity comming their way just because they removed human female idle animation? Are you serious?? That’s why we can’t have nice things.

What problem did it solve? While demoting mini-pets from being something we show off to the rest of the world to solve their server performance problems (albeit, not mentioning any of that in the ‘unveiling’ developer blog count down post), and disguising the entire thing as a feature, and hoping no one noticed that the 400 gems I spent on my mini-pet skin to show off to the world did not have the same value as the gems you spent on your weapon, armor or outfit skin, at least in hindsight, while a terrible solution to their problems, and an unfair solution to their problems, at least it is a solution to a problem.

What does taking away a human female idle animation solve? Server load? PvP balance?

What did changing our running animation 10 months ago solve? Learning to dodge? Not being overwhelmed with weapon skins?

What did not putting the effort into asking us before the wardrobe change what sorts of old clothing we’d like to see converted into outfits so we didn’t lose so much, rather than just giving up and throwing some techno-babble at us about layers and flux capacitors and the zero effect solve?

I guess I don’t understand why it’s not about choices and options. If these are the results of changes that are quietly asked for behind closed doors, why isn’t it about ‘adding’ choices for those people that don’t like the default options, while retaining the other options for people that enjoy them?

And why doesn’t someone come out here and talk about these things? Two days in, why don’t we know exactly what the issue is with the mini-pets, what things were intentional, if they are going to offer refunds, why they felt it was fair, what if anything they’ll bother fixing? Why wasn’t the running animation change talked about? Why was it done? Where did it come from? This idle animation change. Who asked for it? Why did it have to change?

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

This was moved by a Mod, not a Dev.

This “MAY” be a bug, and as such, it fit this sub-forum. But don’t get your hopes high, they never fixed the running animation or the hair clipping introduced months ago.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Kamui.4038

ArenaNet, stop messing around with our characters. I rolled these characters specifically for the aesthetics so PLEASE don’t allow those aesthetics go out the window.

I don’t want to let this go on the back burner…

Our precious running animation was bad enough but this is going way too far. How hard is it to just restore all of this?

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

This bug has been reported and is currently under investigation. Thanks for your reports, everybody.

Devata.6589

This bug has been reported and is currently under investigation. Thanks for your reports, everybody.

Thnx for clarification!
(Also have a look at the walking animation please)

Posted by: Athena.3579

Athena.3579

Thank you for the clarification!

Posted by: Shazmataz.1423

Shazmataz.1423

Please, please, please make missing animations a bug….a huge part of the appeal of GW2 is the little quirks that animations and the like bring to the game.

Kamui.4038

I appreciate the reply Mr. Katzbach. I was starting to get uneasy thinking nothing would happen, as if ANet had forsaken us.

(edited by Kamui.4038)

Kamui.4038

Please, please, please make missing animations a bug….a huge part of the appeal of GW2 is the little quirks that animations and the like bring to the game.

Yes there are other animations like walking and running ones and yes the little quirks are really, really vital to the game whether people realize it or not. It’s like stopping to smell the roses – such a small thing can have a huge impact.

I hope they look into the other missing/changed animations as well since it’s a pretty old issue now that wasn’t looked into as far as I know.

Athena.3579

Yes there are other animations like walking and running ones and yes the little quirks are really, really vital to the game whether people realize it or not. It’s like stopping to smell the roses – such a small thing can have a huge impact.

I hope they look into the other missing/changed animations as well since it’s a pretty old issue now that wasn’t looked into as far as I know.

Whenever I discuss the pros and cons of GW2 (and other MMOs), the animations in GW2 have always been a pro. In addition, they may be the best and most fluid in any MMO I’ve played. I’m glad that this is a bug and not intentional.

Kamui.4038

Whenever I discuss the pros and cons of GW2 (and other MMOs), the animations in GW2 have always been a pro. In addition, they may be the best and most fluid in any MMO I’ve played. I’m glad that this is a bug and not intentional.

Absolutely. The fluid animations are one of the best parts of this game. I fully realized this when I levelled an Ele which now happens to be my favourite character. I love her to bits and the animations are a large part of that!

notebene.3190

I have a question.

What was the human female running animation change 10 months ago? May we know what problem that solved? Some of us asked, no answer was provided.

Athena.3579

Sweet lord there is so much rage and so many buttmad nerds here that are upset they can’t get their rocks off to their idle characters anymore. Please tell me more about how standing in place for extended periods of time enhances the immersion of the game whilist you AFK in Lion’s Arch.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion so it is not wrong to voice your thoughts on these changes. But the degree to which people are upset and the over dramatization of their feelings is so far out of line I can only conclude that it stems from places the posters don’t understand themselves. Ask yourself why you are so upset that you have to threaten leaving the game, insulting the dev’s and attacking other players over such a minor detail.

Honestly the tone that people are leaving in their posts upsets me far more than any of the changes that have come with this patch. It’s really disgusting how spoiled these people are and makes me want to stop playing more than the changes themselves.

People have already answered your question numerous times. It’s the concept of taking things away that aren’t causing any reasonable problems. Had this not been a bug, it would have upset me. It’s like when Town Clothing was taken away. And despite me hardly playing SPvP, it reminds me of them ‘phasing’ out underwater combat by removing a whole map. I actually liked that map and the water portion of it. I enjoyed having to adapt to it — and it was the only map that presented that challenge. High Resolution screenshots being removed still bothers me (despite the feature only being available in Beta). Sit hopping being removed bothered me. Is it trivial? Yes! Was it causing any damage? Perhaps only to my sanity. So why was it removed?

Kamui.4038

I have a question.

What was the human female running animation change 10 months ago? May we know what problem that solved? Some of us asked, no answer was provided.

The old animation made sense and fit. I don’t know why something happened to it nor do I know why it seems to have just fallen through the cracks. Animations are a big part of the game, all the animations.

Kamui.4038

The recent build didn’t do it.

Don’t let this fall through the cracks!

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

Glad its just a bug.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Glad to hear it’s just a bug too! Little things like this do make a big impact to immersion.

Posted by: Ashariel.8490

Ashariel.8490

Ah, well, hopefully it will be fixed in the next patch.

Kamui.4038

Glad to hear it’s just a bug too! Little things like this do make a big impact to immersion.

Not simply that, but they add an essence of life or another dimension if you will to the game.

Now may ArenaNet get this bug nailed down in the next patch which should drop within 24h.

Posted by: Yenrah.8532

Yenrah.8532

I’m really glad it’s just a bug, if that was intended it would be the last straw…

Kamui.4038

I’m really glad it’s just a bug, if that was intended it would be the last straw…

It was certainly the last straw for me.

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

To fans of the “old” running animation (still think the “new” one is just a bug):
The animation is still in the game. Every human female NPC uses the “old” animation. And if your character is infight and their weapons are holstered, she also uses the normal, better looking animation. And two-handed weapons behave much better too.

Did some videos a while ago to show the difference. I admit they are not the best ones, but enough to see the difference.

new animation: front
new animation: hammer
new animation: greatsword

old animation: front
old animation: hammer
old animation: greatsword

(edited by AllNightPlayer.1286)

Kamui.4038

To fans of the “old” running animation (still think the “new” one is just a bug):
The animation is still in the game. Every human female NPC uses the “old” animation. And if your character is infight and their weapons are holstered, she also uses the normal, better looking animation. And two-handed weapons behave much better too.

Did some videos a while ago to show the difference. I admit they are not the best ones, but enough to see the difference.

I really miss those animations. I think I will report this in game, you should as well and maybe link those videos. Considering the animations are still in game, it is without a doubt a bug.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

So many recent changes are made upon Chinese release of the game.

Arena Net, we are WESTERN audience. We have WESTERN expectations about the game.

You’re screwing GW2 over. Don’t you dare screw this game over. This IS personal.

In fact I think the Chinese (Asian) market is even way more tollerate to this sort of things then the western.
Here is a great example: http://my.mmosite.com/1cd10251c16a43d090e2399862b464a2/blog/item/1c8e968e01d15c1fdfee5b36fccf123e.html

Yeah .. its mostly more the USA that has problems with things like that. I remember
for example that they removed the nipples in Age of Conan for the US Version, while
we in Germany got green instead of read blood .. lol

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: gaelicvixen.6401

gaelicvixen.6401

Yay! Thanx for looking into this bug, and for letting us know that it was, in fact, a bug and that you are actually trying to fix it I’ve taken some cute screens with that animation~

Kamui.4038

Yay! Thanx for looking into this bug, and for letting us know that it was, in fact, a bug and that you are actually trying to fix it I’ve taken some cute screens with that animation~

Hear hear. I was looking back at my own and I miss it already. I hope this gets rectified today, and hopefully they can restore the original running animation as well.

Athena.3579

Bumped as a gentle reminder since it wasn’t fixed in today’s patch. The hair-touch spamming is annoying

Kamui.4038

Bumped as a gentle reminder since it wasn’t fixed in today’s patch. The hair-touch spamming is annoying

Oh wow… Come on ANet, don’t let this fall in between the cracks, please!

Posted by: Sgloomi.4103

Sgloomi.4103

If I’d wanted to make a tiny Norn, I’d have made a tiny Norn.

I made a human and I’d very much like her to act like one, thank you very much.

notebene.3190

I really miss those animations. I think I will report this in game, you should as well and maybe link those videos. Considering the animations are still in game, it is without a doubt a bug.

Which either means the animations we had now were in the game at one point, and they used one set over the other for launch, and the bug is that they inadvertently hooked the other animations up during a patch 10 months ago and don’t care to fix it, or, some one (or more) quietly complained about it, it was never mentioned or talked about, and they assigned someone to specifically spend time changing the animation, yet it was never a patch note or discussed with the community as to why it was changed.

I posted an idea months ago which I thought would be a neat money idea for them, though, it would also be work on their part, which might make it unattractive.

Why not make running the running animation (and now I see idle animations would fit nicely in here too) something you get to ‘pick’ for your character, just like your hair, body type, skin, face, etc? They could make ‘animation packs’ (running, walking, idle) to sell us in the store. Imagine a skipping Asuran? Maybe you want a limp?

A nice start would be letting those of us who would rather have the original running animation have it. You could change your running and walking animations using full make over kits, which would increase those sales.

The idle would be more tricky, as we have several. That might be something where you could ‘add’ new ones to the rotation, but I can’t think of a good way to turn them off, unless they add some sort of UI to the full make over kits to ‘pick 4’ or something?

Kamui.4038

Which either means the animations we had now were in the game at one point, and they used one set over the other for launch, and the bug is that they inadvertently hooked the other animations up during a patch 10 months ago and don’t care to fix it, or, some one (or more) quietly complained about it, it was never mentioned or talked about, and they assigned someone to specifically spend time changing the animation, yet it was never a patch note or discussed with the community as to why it was changed.

I posted an idea months ago which I thought would be a neat money idea for them, though, it would also be work on their part, which might make it unattractive.

Why not make running the running animation (and now I see idle animations would fit nicely in here too) something you get to ‘pick’ for your character, just like your hair, body type, skin, face, etc? They could make ‘animation packs’ (running, walking, idle) to sell us in the store. Imagine a skipping Asuran? Maybe you want a limp?

A nice start would be letting those of us who would rather have the original running animation have it. You could change your running and walking animations using full make over kits, which would increase those sales.

The idle would be more tricky, as we have several. That might be something where you could ‘add’ new ones to the rotation, but I can’t think of a good way to turn them off, unless they add some sort of UI to the full make over kits to ‘pick 4’ or something?

I’d rather they just restore what was given to us at launch. What we paid for. What we chose when deciding which character to make. And so on. The animations of a race/sex choice are hugely important when deciding which one to pick. For example, I could have made a Norn but I chose human because I liked their animations better among other things.

Now my character is lifeless and as the poster above said: a tiny norn, which I definitely did not choose.

Just restore what was lost, and all will be well. More than anything I just want my characters to be as they were when I chose them because I feel robbed.

Please ArenaNet.

Kamui.4038

Another patch, and it’s still bugged…

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

Calm down. I miss the animations as much as you, but I think they might sort of have their hands full fixing actual game-breaking bugs or gameplay-affecting bugs to have idle animations be high on their list of priorities right now.

You got your response that it’s being looked into, they obviously know about it and it’s a bug, continuing to complain isn’t going to make it faster.

TBH, if I mained my Necro and they fixed this before fixing the randomly-dying Necro pets, I’d feel pretty dang insulted. I’m also hoping that they’ll fix Engineer’s Juggernaut trait before this as that’s my current main, as well that the issue extends to other classes that get Toughness-boosting effects (Elementalist, for example).

They should put, and hopefully are putting, more focus on things that affect the people actually running around playing the game, rather than what affects people who are just standing there watching their character.

It took them what, 2 days to fix the cave-in in Dry Top being invincible and never ending? And that prevented people from doing their living story AND affected a total of three events (itself, the mordrem attacking the town, and the zephyrites in the cave) which made getting Tier 6 impossible and Tier 5 harder.

tl;dr Idle animations are low priority and should rightfully be so.

Athena.3579

I could see how something like this could easily fall through the cracks and never be fixed, so I’m glad people are discussing and bumping this topic. Game breaking bugs should absolutely come first, but, at the same time, I’m glad this is on the radar (front page).

Sgloomi.4103

On the other hand, the two possibilities are that the idles have been mistakenly switched off or removed. I would assume that switching em on again, or sticking em back in again, would require hardly any time or effort – certainly not enough to detract from fixing the more ‘serious’ bugs …

Filaha.1678

On the other hand, the two possibilities are that the idles have been mistakenly switched off or removed. I would assume that switching em on again, or sticking em back in again, would require hardly any time or effort – certainly not enough to detract from fixing the more ‘serious’ bugs …

If it was by mistake and given that, from my read of the patch notes, there’s nothing that seems like it should have affected idle animations, then it becomes less a matter of hitting a switch and more a matter of looking at a whole board full of unlabelled switches and then not only having to figure out which one to flip, but figure out a way to flip it in another direction.

Or I guess less like switches and more like a board full of dials and figuring out which way the dial needs to point.

I mean, it could be that their idles somehow got turned off. It could also be that their idles got removed. It could also be that their idle “list” got swapped with Norns. There was a bug post at some point about the left arm of female humans getting warped when they do the greatsword-drawn idle animation and when female human mesmers use #1 with greatsword, which (if this didn’t exist before the feature pack), means that the problem could then run even deeper than simply idle animations. Or the arm thing could be entirely unrelated to missing idles.

So first they have to figure out what has actually been caused. Then they need to figure out what, in an entire feature pack of (apparently) unrelated features, caused it. Then they need to figure out a way to fix it that isn’t simply turning off whatever feature caused it, because they presumably would want to have both working.

And during that time, there are Necromancers relying on minions that are either not attacking or dying as soon as they cross a scaling threshold, people who can’t even play their story, people who can’t complete dungeons, people who will need to spend an inordinate amount of time leveling because of messed up exp scaling, etc.

The optimist in me wants to believe that if it was a simple fix that they could easily find, they’d do it, even if the jaded realist in me thinks that would happen if only to make it look like they’re fixing more things. But if it even takes 30 minutes of time looking at what needs to be changed, that’s 30 minutes that could have been spent on things preventing people from actually playing the game.

And it’s one thing to nicely, politely bump once in a while to make sure it’s not forgotten. But when they’re clearly swamped with far more important things to fix, it’s hardly likely to make them want to fix it any faster to keep complaining about it.

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

Don’t bring it back. kitten no, most annoying kitten in the game besides elementalist wristbands.

AmateurNet

Posted by: Filbo.5763

Filbo.5763

Hope they will fix it….

|3570k 3.5ghz | Gigabyte Z77-3DH MB | 8gb 1600mhz Kingston HyperX |
Gigabyte Windforce 3x GTX 670 | Antec 900 | Lc Power Prophecy v2 750W |

Sgloomi.4103

Just to point out to the people saying that the loss of idle-animations is trivial …

Yes, they’re trivial – and you can say exactly the same about cool armour skins, combat-animations, detailed terrain, dialogue, character facial-features and all manner of other stuff. If efficient functionality is all you want, let’s reduce the entire game to a spread sheet, where you plug in certain values and then look at the result.

Fact is, we are not slogging through a spread sheet for our job. We are playing a game for fun. ‘Trivial’ ambiance and flavour-details – distinctive idles based on in-game race, for example – are important.

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

Just to point out to the people saying that the loss of idle-animations is trivial ...

Yes, they’re trivial - and you can say exactly the same about cool armour skins, combat-animations, detailed terrain, dialogue, character facial-features and all manner of other stuff. If efficient functionality is all you want, let’s reduce the entire game to a spread sheet, where you plug in certain values and then look at the result.

Fact is, we are *not* slogging through a spread sheet for our job. We are playing a game for fun. ’Trivial’ ambiance and flavour-details - distinctive idles based on in-game race, for example - are important.

+1
In my opinion, animations are even more important than armor clipping. It’s easier to bypass a clipping armor part by chosing another armor (even if you loved it the most). Bugging animations are harder to ignore. You see them EVERY time you play your character (I barely play my human female guardian. Bugged running animation and stupid hammerhead looks like it’s about to fall over her shoulder now). And skiping a whole race in this game is much more painful than ignoring two or three armor sets.

(edited by AllNightPlayer.1286)

Kamui.4038

I could see how something like this could easily fall through the cracks and never be fixed, so I’m glad people are discussing and bumping this topic. Game breaking bugs should absolutely come first, but, at the same time, I’m glad this is on the radar (front page).

Yup, my thoughts exactly. My personal and apparent impatience lies in the realm of this not being resolved and being forgotten “because it’s just idle animations.” Just look at the running animation. It’s been almost a year now and it still hasn’t been restored to it’s former glory but they haven’t come out and recognized that as the bug it is.

We know for certain something serious like Necro minions dying will get fixed. It’s a given and will happen. Things like this however could easily sit on the investigation list indefinitely. I’ve seen similar things happen in other games, including WoW.

Bugging animations are harder to ignore. You see them EVERY time you play your character (I barely play my human female guardian. Bugged running animation and stupid hammerhead looks like it’s about to fall over her shoulder now). And skiping a whole race in this game is much more painful than ignoring two or three armor sets.

This is precisely what I’m facing. I look at my Ele for example and it’s not the same anymore. Can’t even be bothered to play.

Filaha.1678

Just to point out to the people saying that the loss of idle-animations is trivial …

Yes, they’re trivial – and you can say exactly the same about cool armour skins, combat-animations, detailed terrain, dialogue, character facial-features and all manner of other stuff. If efficient functionality is all you want, let’s reduce the entire game to a spread sheet, where you plug in certain values and then look at the result.

Except they’re not comparable.

Cool armour skins may require work or money to acquire. Idle animations do not. You lose nothing by not having idle animations.

Combat animations are far more visible than idle animations by people who are actually playing the game. Therefore, more importance is on the combat animations than idle animations.

Detailed terrain is, again, something you’ll see while playing the game.

Get the pattern here? I’d imagine that most people playing the game probably haven’t even noticed the missing idles. Or care too much about them. Why? Because they’re too busy not standing there watching their female human do absolutely nothing.

However, I’m pretty sure that all of those people would notice if their armour skin turned into a potato sack, the terrain was just a green floor, and they fought by staring hard at the enemy.

Idle animations in a game where playing it means you won’t see the idle animations because you won’t be idle are the very definition of trivial. Consider: Would you be so angry about them not being there if you didn’t have them in the first place?

Heck, some people wanted them gone for the simple fact that it ruined immersion and scenes where something important is happening and a female lead is just standing there stretching and showing off her body. So… what’s more important? Immersion for people actually playing the game or “flavour” for people just standing there?

In my opinion, animations are even more important than armor clipping. It’s easier to bypass a clipping armor part by chosing another armor (even if you loved it the most). Bugging animations are harder to ignore. You see them EVERY time you play your character (I barely play my human female guardian. Bugged running animation and stupid hammerhead looks like it’s about to fall over her shoulder now). And skiping a whole race in this game is much more painful than ignoring two or three armor sets.

It’s really easy to ignore missing idles though. Don’t stand there. Go play the game. Do a jumping puzzle. Run a dungeon. Earn 10,000 Geodes in Dry Top then spend them all on clay. Do something instead of just sitting there staring. I don’t see my idle animations every time I play my character, and I play female humans almost exclusively. Because I’m too busy running around doing things. However, when I’m doing all that stuff, I can’t not see my character’s bum clipping through the back of her skirt.

Also, by your own logic of “If the armour clips, don’t wear it”, well, if the idles for one race/gender are gone…

Don’t play it. Even if you loved it the most.

Yup, my thoughts exactly. My personal and apparent impatience lies in the realm of this not being resolved and being forgotten

So worry about that when they’re done fixing the things that are far more important and are actually game-breaking. When the game actually works right for the 99% of players that aren’t upset over idles missing, then you can remind them that they’re missing.

I’ll say again. It’s one thing to nicely, politely bump once in a while to make sure it’s not forgotten. But when they’re clearly swamped with far more important things to fix, it’s hardly likely to make them want to fix it any faster to keep complaining about it.

(edited by Filaha.1678)