Female human only has 1 animation now

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I made a female ranger recently and she has an extra animation where she sticks her finger in the air to check wind direction. I don’t know if that’s because I’m a ranger, I have a longbow equipped, or because I have the “Read the Wind” trait.

Each weapon has an idle animation or two.

If you keep unstowing your weapons, you can see them.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

Coming soon to the gem store , idle animations for 800 gems each.

+1 Holy Crap that made me laugh so hard.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

The “official” reason for removal of the female human idle animations was that some players complained they were “immersion breaking” during some cut scenes (especially certain NPC death scenes, when the mood was supposed to be sad).

Death scenes represent only a tiny fraction of cut scenes. Cut scenes represent only a tiny fraction of our online play. So why completely remove these animations from the entire game when it only affects a minuscule portion of it? This response was entirely out of proportion to the perceived problem.

And what about my feelings of immersion? I am usually bored to tears when the cut scene soap opera is playing. My female human was perfectly expressing my feelings whenever she stretched or shuffled the dirt at her feet.

And what about the other races? The Asura crack their knuckles and scratch their heads. Norn males stretch and smack their fist into their palm. Charr flex their claws. My female Sylvari waves her arms about and gives a great big grin. Do these animations have any place in those rarely-seen death scenes?

Please restore these animations to the game! I guarantee that more people miss them than cried about seeing them in cut scenes. Fix them whenever you have the time, if you think it’s such a big issue. But please restore them to us in the meantime.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Can we get these animations back in some timely manner please?
Breaking immersion is obviously not a problem since miniatures are happily laughing/swinging swords/doing whatever in the cutscene where Caithe kills Wynne and is weeping for her.
Please devote some resources to fixing this, since enabling the animations shouldn’t take more developer time than removing them did.

Thank you.

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

It’s so cute how everyone is still hopeful that this will ever be reverted…

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Hamfast.8719

Here’s what Gaile told us 3 months ago (I can’t use the “quote” feature… I guess the thread has been deleted or locked, but I dug it up on Google).

Soooo sorry! I asked about this and forgot to post!

Some time ago, it was noticed and reported as a “bug” that during cinematics, the “fidget” animations continued. So you’re seeing this exciting story bit about a dragon attack and, behind the scenes, your character is yawning and toeing the sand. It just didn’t fit.

So the animations were temporarily removed to be worked on and reincorporated in a way that allowed them to perform normally in the game but to stop (or maybe change) during cinematics. But getting to a place where the animations could be configured on a more fine-grained basis took more time than anticipated.

From what I understand, the team has the tools to reconfigure and re-enable the animations, but the team lead told me that naturally they’ll need to figure out when someone (or maybe more than one person) can be assigned the task. As it turns out, each animation bit needs to be reconfigured individually.

TL;dr: This change is coming, as soon as it can be scheduled and prioritized. Naturally, some matters that are higher on the priority list but this project will be scheduled as appropriate.

That was 3 months ago. The issue originated 5 months ago. I know “Heart of Thorns” is the current excuse. Back then it was “attention being paid to China”. There’s always something else.

Can we please get an update, Gaile? You tell us ANet knows the problem. ANet has the tools. Can we please hear that this hasn’t been swept under the rug? (I read “temporarily removed” there).

Easiest, quickest fix: Just put ’em back! A couple of seconds of “fidgeting” during a cinematic is less than .01% of our everyday play. If you really, truly think this needs fixed, then fine – fix it. But don’t remove them from the other 99.99% of the game in the meantime. It’s my bet that if restored, you’ll get tons of “thank you, ANet!” responses, and never hear a peep about “fidgeting in cinematics” again.

On a personal note, I am a GW2 “photographer”. I am working on “Screens” folder number 30 (that’s 30,000 screen captures). These animations, while seemingly trivial to some, are very important to me. I would dearly love to have them back in time to catch the beauty of Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: AllNightPlayer.1286

AllNightPlayer.1286

Found the old Commando class trailer and look, old idle and running animation on females. But nowadays, you cannot make these cool videos anymore, A-Net.

Commando Class
1:25 & 3:15 stretch animation | 3:32 front view run animation

serenke.4806

Found the old Commando class trailer and look, old idle and running animation on females. But nowadays, you cannot make these cool videos anymore, A-Net.

Commando Class

Nice find! Those were the days… Honestly, i cannot grasp why it’s so difficult to just put the animations back in the game. Especially since miniatures, inappropriate armour combos (pink moustached norns, etc.) tonics (in the eternal alchemy cutscene) have ruined our immersion anyway.

We laughed those off so why is stretching and kicking dirt such a heinous act? Can we at least have all of the above removed as well so as to keep our immersion intact? Or have the animations put back.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Completely agree that it was a bad call of the Dev’s to remove this. It should be put back in as it was.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: kyeloon.5826

kyeloon.5826

I would really love to see them back in the game. Please bring them back.
For the new players who don’t even know them see my attachement

Attachments:

(edited by kyeloon.5826)

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I am sure it’s been put in the ‘file and forget about it’ container by anet.

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

It is absurd that this was ever removed. Maybe there should be an option to turn off/on idle animations to appease the minority of players that think it breaks immersion instead of trying to code it to not display during cut scenes? As much as I miss this animation, I’m to the point where I’d take a new one. Its pretty crumby that only the human female’s have 1 animation while all the others have more.

Posted by: cheshader.5081

cheshader.5081

The “official” reason for removal of the female human idle animations was that some players complained they were “immersion breaking” during some cut scenes (especially certain NPC death scenes, when the mood was supposed to be sad).

Any source on that?

Considering there is a lot of literally immersion crushing stuff, not only not being removed but being added to the game…

serenke.4806

The reason was mentioned in another post, there were apparently people who thought Kasmeer stretching during cinematics was immersion breaking.

I am still wondering why it does not break anybody’s immersion when they watch the “eternal alchemy” cutscene while transformed to a quaggan. Or why it’s ok that a princess doll is giggling when Caithe kills Wynne.

Generally i am not one for tinfoil hat conspiracy theories, but the explanation is quite inadequate. And of course: give the animations back please.

Posted by: Frosty.7596

Frosty.7596

I really miss this, please bring it back:

Attachments:

Posted by: GuzziHero.5104

GuzziHero.5104

Problem is, with all the duplicity and misdirection that we have already been given by Anet, it is impossible to tell whether this is a bug and they would like to fix it, or whether they are saying that to appease us.

Seriously, all of this, along with the entire April Megafailpatch and the NPE, all smacks of chronic lack of communication within the company.

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

This still being “broken” is ridiculous.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

This was first reported in september and it STILL hasn’t been fixed? What the heck, someone think it was too sexist and stealth removed it? “its a bug wink wink” or some such?

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Commando Class

I miss this game, the one I bought at launch.

serenke.4806

Recently i found some screenshots with this and i can not fathom why this had to be removed or why it’s so hard to just re-enable it? Just do it, you could give free GW1 titles to people so i trust in you to be able to give these back.

Posted by: Mikal Dynath.6195

Mikal Dynath.6195

Still waiting …

Posted by: JDilla.3150

JDilla.3150

Please bring them back!! Also, I’ve noticed that most of the female npc’s (citizens) at Divinity’s Reach still have these animations.

serenke.4806

Please bring them back!! Also, I’ve noticed that most of the female npc’s (citizens) at Divinity’s Reach still have these animations.

Because those NPCs don’t “ruin the immersion in cutscenes” (since they are not present in them). On the other hand, those who complained about this are just a bunch of hypocrites as they seem to have no problems with immersion when minis are present in cutscenes or when you are transformed into a dolyak/quaggan/etc. in cutscenes.

For crying out loud, it’s been months and nothing has happened. Just do what many have suggested/asked for and put the idle animations back. I’m pretty sure that not a single person is going to complain about their immersion being broken or whatever and you will make a lot of players happy.

Hamfast.8719

Any source on that?

Considering there is a lot of literally immersion crushing stuff, not only not being removed but being added to the game…

Here’s what Gaile told us several months ago (I can’t use the “quote” feature… I guess the thread has been deleted or locked, but I dug it up on Google).

Soooo sorry! I asked about this and forgot to post!

Some time ago, it was noticed and reported as a “bug” that during cinematics, the “fidget” animations continued. So you’re seeing this exciting story bit about a dragon attack and, behind the scenes, your character is yawning and toeing the sand. It just didn’t fit.

So the animations were temporarily removed to be worked on and reincorporated in a way that allowed them to perform normally in the game but to stop (or maybe change) during cinematics. But getting to a place where the animations could be configured on a more fine-grained basis took more time than anticipated.

From what I understand, the team has the tools to reconfigure and re-enable the animations, but the team lead told me that naturally they’ll need to figure out when someone (or maybe more than one person) can be assigned the task. As it turns out, each animation bit needs to be reconfigured individually.

TL;dr: This change is coming, as soon as it can be scheduled and prioritized. Naturally, some matters that are higher on the priority list but this project will be scheduled as appropriate.

Can we please get an update, Gaile? You tell us ANet knows the problem. ANet has the tools. Can we please hear that this hasn’t been swept under the rug? (You said “temporarily removed” there).

Easiest, quickest fix: Just put ’em back! A couple of seconds of “fidgeting” during a cinematic is less than .01% of our everyday play. If you really, truly think this needs fixed, then fine – fix it. But don’t remove them from the other 99.99% of the game in the meantime. It’s my bet that if restored, you’ll get tons of “thank you, ANet!” responses, and never hear a peep about “fidgeting in cinematics” again.

I want to be able to do THIS again! …

(And yes, it’s just a little bit sexy, especially when presented this way. But so what?)

Attachments:

AllNightPlayer.1286

By the way, if females act “too sexy”, they should fix the running animation and restore the old one. The new/buggy/male one makes the boobs bounce like jelly. (^.^)

Posted by: Mikal Dynath.6195

Mikal Dynath.6195

So … they removed the female stretch because it “ruined the immersion in cutscenes” … yet they give us the absurdity of running through our cutscenes as airplanes for April Fools.

Logic?

Posted by: Ekhetrima.9651

Ekhetrima.9651

So … they removed the female stretch because it “ruined the immersion in cutscenes” … yet they give us the absurdity of running through our cutscenes as airplanes for April Fools.

Logic?

I was thinking about this in my Personal Story a moment ago and took a screenshot, but you beat me to it.

I enjoy the airplane mode for a few hours. It is fun. I would have much preferred getting our idle animations back though.

Help us Gaile, you’re our only hope.

Posted by: DarkReign.4503

DarkReign.4503

I never use the sit animation for females because since the game came out when a female is sitting they don’t blink, kills immersion for me. I guess it will never be addressed though seen quite a few games where blinking is forgotten. Animations are usually very low priority on these types of games. I think there may be more animations with this issue but always noticed with the sitting one it’s like they’re robots.

(edited by DarkReign.4503)

Posted by: DarkOcean.8746

DarkOcean.8746

Still waiting patiently… More or less.

More than half a year later.

Posted by: Ponzu.4570

Ponzu.4570

Lol this bug hasn’t been fixed?

lvl80 sylavari Engineer
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Lol this bug hasn’t been fixed?

I dont think its considered a bug now, i think its considered a feature… /sarcasm

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

First, please don’t bump threads, Death.

Secondly, there isn’t an update on this right now. There are details in earlier posts (with the red flag) but, with regret, there isn’t any new information to share right now. I’ll check with the team to see if they have anything additional to add, but I don’t believe this has bubbled up to be at the top of the list quite yet.

Any more news since two months ago?

Posted by: JDilla.3150

JDilla.3150

Ok, first they said it was a bug, then they said that it was “temporarily removed” because it didn’t fit the mood in certain cutscenes in the Living Story. Hmm…

(edited by JDilla.3150)

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Ok, first they said it was a bug, then they said that it was “temporarily removed” because it didn’t fit the mood in certain cutscenes in the Living Story. Hmm…

Yet… i can use tonics in those same cutscenes.. Soooooooooo Yeaaaaaa…..

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Mister zeeRo.8561

Mister zeeRo.8561

could it be to minimise server load with the mini change? as everyone and their dog is running with a mini?

No. It’s either a bug or ANet kitten my characters.

what meakes you think it’s a bug?

I’m guessing because there is no logical reason to remove the animation.

according to your flawless logic the april 2014 trait unlock system is a bug aswell

and given the fact that it has been ignore for a whole year expect your hair to be brushed alot more

Unlocking Traits is a Nightmare since April 2014
One year & 90+ pages of outcry later : NOTHING

serenke.4806

It’s not a bug. It’s been classified as a bug so as to bury it in the bug forums.

Or at least that’s the only conclusion that comes to mind after this long.

Posted by: Nifaea.9216

Nifaea.9216

They won’t consider fixing it unless it is more trouble for them to leave it the way it is.

Post on other popular forums and rally support. They won’t fix something that isn’t causing them to look disorganized or lazy on a massive scale. Constant exposure will be your best bet since the latest update we have is that we have no update.

Posted by: Ekhetrima.9651

Ekhetrima.9651

It would really be awesome to get an update on this. Can we just put them back in?

Posted by: nocturne.2841

nocturne.2841

The posts by Hamfast.8719 are to the point and on par with my feelings about this issue and very nicely and politely stated … and this thread has a heap of views and comments … so why on earth is it so hard to just put the idles back in and then think about whatever cutscene mods later ? How many more people need to get out of just watching this thread and write a post – just like I do here – to make it obvious enough that is was a bad decision that removed something a lot of us loved ?

serenke.4806

The posts by Hamfast.8719 are to the point and on par with my feelings about this issue and very nicely and politely stated … and this thread has a heap of views and comments … so why on earth is it so hard to just put the idles back in and then think about whatever cutscene mods later ? How many more people need to get out of just watching this thread and write a post – just like I do here – to make it obvious enough that is was a bad decision that removed something a lot of us loved ?

Because it has been classified as a bug for this very reason. It’s basically buried in here and it is being dealt with when there are enough resources.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

They won’t consider fixing it unless it is more trouble for them to leave it the way it is.

Post on other popular forums and rally support. They won’t fix something that isn’t causing them to look disorganized or lazy on a massive scale. Constant exposure will be your best bet since the latest update we have is that we have no update.

If that’s true, then why did they put the effort into changing the running animation? o.O

AllNightPlayer.1286

If that’s true, then why did they put the effort into changing the running animation? o.O

They did not “change” it. It’s just the male animation. (^.^)
Just like the male norns now use the female longbow animation (and still no fix).

notebene.3190

They did not “change” it. It’s just the male animation. (^.^)
Just like the male norns now use the female longbow animation (and still no fix).

But it took some level of effort to do that, when it was fine the way it was, and they could have literally spent ‘0’ effort in both cases (running animation; idle animation) and everything would be fine.

So, it would seem for, shall we say, certain types of things, no level of effort will go unspent.

Usually you see a change after a 1000 page post about some great hax or sploit(zors[kekpew?]?) affecting ‘teh balanz’ or ‘teh meta’…

I don’t remember the 1000 page outrage post that led to the human female running animation being changed? I’d still like to know what that was about, they never said. They gave us healthy and appropriate taglines in some of the responses to the outfit system, maybe that’s the same answer for the other?

Which just makes me wonder (besides not jumping on amazing opportunity to make running, walking, idle animations, emotes things you can buy and ‘add’ or ‘activate’ on your character and monetize it) why not put a setting in the options menu:

[ ] I don’t like things that upset me.

Then you can see the man running animation (if that’s what that is) and no idle animations and it will hide anything else that is bad and show you something else. If that’s too broad, and there needs to be more categories, then by all means, make more categories.

Mine will all be unchecked, and I’ll still cross my fingers that they either give me my individual clothing pieces back some day, or let me pay them to take the 3 pieces I want, along with 4 channel color suggestions (plus a possible 5th static one), and make it into a new (old) outfit for me.

AllNightPlayer.1286

The strange thing about the running animation was, that two-handed weapons behaved oddly (staves bugged into the skirts and greatswords span around the right shoulder).
They tried to fixe these bugs (stowed two-handed weapons still don’t look good while running in the “new” animation) but did not restore the running animation itself.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/2handed-wepons-clipping-characters/

serenke.4806

I do not have a problem with the running animation but removing the idle animations was unnecessary. The way it’s been handled ever since speaks volumes.

notebene.3190

The strange thing about the running animation was, that two-handed weapons behaved oddly (staves bugged into the skirts and greatswords span around the right shoulder).
They tried to fixe these bugs (stowed two-handed weapons still don’t look good while running in the “new” animation) but did not restore the running animation itself.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/2handed-wepons-clipping-characters/

But what’s odd about that is they could have ‘just’ focused on placement of the items themselves. They did that with storing single handed weapons at our sides (they used to be nice and close, they moved them out), they could have done the same with the other.

And the whole clipping thing. I just don’t get it. Never bothered me to the point it seems to bother some folks. People love to talk about clipping. See it all the time in other game forums too. Never bothered me seeing the staff through the skirt.

notebene.3190

I do not have a problem with the running animation but removing the idle animations was unnecessary. The way it’s been handled ever since speaks volumes.

I do have a problem with the running animation change, and if it was all really about people being offended by the run itself, they should have gone the route of monetizing running as a character trait, sold them, problem solved. Everyone gets to run how they want.

One may not like how they run and choose the other, some of us would choose the original. Would anyone object to letting people pick which they prefer? They are both still there. All they have to do is make it something we change, like a hair style, and we’re off to the races. Skipping Asurans. Could be fun.

Same could easily be done with idle animations. Make each one a separate thing we can activate and deactivate in the random rotation of idle animations a character has. Like picking a mini or a finishing move, but you get to pick many, and buy more. Flipping a coin? Could be fun.

I don’t see why any of this has to be either or, a pendulum, a see-saw. Everyone can get what they want and choose what they would like to see.

Posted by: Smartcat.2130

Smartcat.2130

If they brought back idle animations in the gem shop I would buy them… I miss them…

define normal…

AllNightPlayer.1286

But you have to see it as a whole picture: Bugged running animation. Removed idle animation. Bugged jump animation. All these unwanted and unasked partly intended changes kept this thread alive. We just want to say, that we will not stand by anymore and watch. Enough is enough!

Hamfast.8719

First post was 7 months ago. Could we please have an update on this?

Who is good using Google to dig up old forum posts? I would dearly love to see the thread where someone reported this as a “bug”. It can’t be nearly as big as all the threads calling for their return.