Going from a level 30 Story Quest to a level 48 ( skipping the story line!! )

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: QQtomelater.6910

QQtomelater.6910

less than 2 hours ago this happened to me in a group with a friend. we have lvled our toons from lvl1 i came across the post that people were skipping the lvls so we held off lvling together…..then i read we have the problem fixed…aum no you dont if you fixed the bug than why ohh why did it happen 9-7-12 at 9am on fergusons crossing

Posted by: Stagnant.4035

Stagnant.4035

I’m a little frustrated that nothing else has been stated ArenaNet. It’s not really acceptable to leave us dangling like this, and it’s not really acceptable to not implement a fix for this bug for already affected characters.

Is there any more news on this yet?

Posted by: EvanTeicheira

Previous

EvanTeicheira

ArenaNet Alpha Team

Next

Hey everyone,

First off, I’d like to extend a personal thanks to everybody who has taken the time to post the details of your situation. These specifics have been extremely helpful in finding the root cause of the issue, and the design team has been hard at work on not only a fix, but a solution for those who have been affected by the bug. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this unfortunate issue, and assure you that the designers are hard at work addressing all of the critical issues detracting from a positive game experience.

As mentioned by others already, the issue revolves around playing through the missions where you choose your order as a group. The design team is currently exploring solutions for the issue and is working towards implementing a fix as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I would encourage everyone to please keep the discussion civil and on-topic. We are actively working towards a fix and are constantly on watch for any new issues which may arise in the first few weeks of the game! =)

Good hunting!

ArenaNet QA Team

Posted by: Leiard.4532

Leiard.4532

Thanks for the update Evan. I’m really glad that you are working on an update. Both my gf and I have however completely stopped playing, until the issue is resolved.

I really hope it doesn’t take “weeks” to resolve…

Posted by: EvanTeicheira

Previous

EvanTeicheira

ArenaNet Alpha Team

Next

Thanks for the update Evan. I’m really glad that you are working on an update. Both my gf and I have however completely stopped playing, until the issue is resolved.

That is certainly not the goal.

As a recommendation, this may be a good time to try out another profession or race. My only warning is that once you reach the level 30-40 missions, you run through them individually until a permanent fix has been implemented. That, or you could avoid the story altogether while you tackle map-completion or dungeons (my style of exploration).

Is there any word on whether or not it will be possible to fix this issue in a manner that allows us to experience the content of the storyline properly at a later date?
I personally do not mind if I have to wait a few weeks to continue the storyline after a reset to make sure issues do not recur. I think most people just want to know that they will be able to experience that content on their characters EVENTUALLY.

Thank you again for your reply, and I am certain all people who are experiencing this problem look forward to further updates.

The designers are discussing a fix for people who have already been affected by the issue. It’s critical to ensure that a reset doesn’t lead to larger issues down the road: such as the ability to choose a second path along a storyline where you’ve already chosen one, leading to what could only be explained as a “timeline paradox” which would surely cause all sorts of unhappiness to the time-space continuum.

The short answer: a permanent fix for those who have been affected by the issue is being investigated, and we thank everyone for their patience in an obviously frustrating situation.

ArenaNet QA Team

(edited by EvanTeicheira.3962)

Posted by: Lokiie.7690

Lokiie.7690

As a recommendation, this may be a good time to try out another profession or race. My only warning is that once you reach the level 30-40 missions, you run through them individually until a permanent fix has been implemented. That, or you could avoid the story altogether while you tackle map-completion or dungeons (my style of exploration).

Is there any word on whether or not it will be possible to fix this issue in a manner that allows us to experience the content of the storyline properly at a later date?
I personally do not mind if I have to wait a few weeks to continue the storyline after a reset to make sure issues do not recur. I think most people just want to know that they will be able to experience that content on their characters EVENTUALLY.

Thank you again for your reply, and I am certain all people who are experiencing this problem look forward to further updates.

The designers are discussing a fix for people who have already been affected by the issue. It’s critical to ensure that a reset doesn’t lead to larger issues down the road: such as the ability to choose a second path along a storyline where you’ve already chosen one, leading to what could only be explained as a “timeline paradox” which would surely cause all sorts of unhappiness to the time-space continuum.

The short answer: a permanent fix for those who have been affected by the issue is being investigated, and we thank everyone for their patience in an obviously frustrating situation.

Guess i will just keep playing my reroll, and if the fix comes before i get 35 then awesome, and if it doesnt then it wont matter anymore.

I am glad to see you guys are trying to fix it though, both the bug that caused the problem and those of us with it. However i dont understand how it would cause a paradox (the example i understand) unless the story quest in which we jumped was in the middle of a chapter and the only way to fix it was to roll it back to the start of the chapter in question.

Posted by: Ragnor.1059

Ragnor.1059

I would rather have two paths than one, but seriously the short story of we are trying to stop it from happening is a must, but it seems ANet isnt to concerned with those who were hit by this. I know some players care more than others and I am one of them, rerolling is fine for some but for those who only wanted to invest time in one character this is just stupid. I appreciate the update, but at this point I’m guessing all that will happen is a generic post saying we have resolved this issue for future characters and are sorry for the issue it caused to current players. Go play a dungeon since the stories broke for you.

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Previous

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Next

Hey everyone,

We’re doing some further investigation on this issue and would appreciate it if you could post in this thread with your character name if you’ve been affected by this issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we look into this.

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: vena.7263

vena.7263

I am reporting for my husband.

We were playing together as Norn.
His character’s name is Fod Derr & is a ranger.
My character’s name is Venatte & is an elementalist.
I was level 29/30 he was level 30.

Our Personal Stories were the same when we chose the Durmand Priory in Code Breaker.

My husband initiated the story Silent Warfare.
When we finished the quest, everything was fine we were to move on to Dredging up the Past.

When we enterted Lion’s Gate, my quest stayed the same as Dreding up the Past. My husband’s jumped to On Red Alert level 48.

Please try to fix this. We truly enjoy playing together and I would feel bad if he had to miss all the XP as we moved along on our journey.

Thank you.

Posted by: TBrother.9138

TBrother.9138

Group composition:
Race, Profession, Level of Characters, etc.

30 Human Male Warrior – Nbröther – Instance Owner – progressing normally
30 Human Male Warrior – Tbröther – Joined Instance – Skipped Ahead

Same Exact Story choices for each character.

Both of us picking the Vigil

Who owned the Kellach’s Attack instance (which character created the instance in which others joined)?

Nbröther the human Warrior was the owner and is progressing normally.
Tbröther the human Warrior Skipped Ahead.

Which characters progressed on to the Level 48 quest?

Tbröther the human Warrior (my character) was the one bumped ahead to the level 48 quest
forewarned is forearmed.

Posted by: Rudziaczek.9617

Rudziaczek.9617

Nickname: The Osa – skipped storyline.
Nickname: The Kaka – my partner who progressed normally.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Same here, on my Thief, after doing the same last few personal quests (below 31) together with a friend, we had the next quest showing at 31 for a while – we went to Lion’s Arch but didn’t enter it, instead we went back to level up a few more days – during all this time it was still showing at 31. But last night I just happen to notice, after traveling again to Lion’s Arch, that my personal quest suddenly shows that my next quest is “On Red Alert” (48) !

I experienced that with my norn, too. I thought I would have had remembered it wrong, but she was for a pretty short time on 31, then the secret stealing bug was fixed and now she is on 48. Maybe there is no connection between the bug fix and the change, but it is quite strange that she was on her normal personal storyline and then was thrown to 48.

Unlike with my asura who made that progress of her personal storyline after they fixed stealing secrets. She was immediately directed to the 48 storyline.

Posted by: moonchef.5460

moonchef.5460

For those who have been affected by the issue, can I please get the following information:

• Group composition:
    • Race, Profession, Level of Characters, etc.
    • Story choices for each character in the group (Blackout, Vigil, etc.)
  • Who owned the Kellach’s Attack instance (which character created the instance in which others joined)?
  • Which characters progressed on to the Level 48 quest?
  • For those who did not progress on to the Level 48 quest, what quest were they directed to instead?

Same this as everyone else happened to me just a few hours ago…

Group Comp: 28 asura guardian, 28 asura necro (me)
Story choices: grouped together the whole time, made all the same choices
Story owner: 28 asura guardian, not me.
My lvl 28 asura necro did not progess properly, my wife was directed to “a fragile peace” which is the correct quest.

On a side note i just want to say that after 3 days my wife’s account was hacked and her lvl 25 charachter was deleted. It took us 3 days to get that account back, and now it has taken us 3 days to get the lost progress back. Now we are stuck with this. It’s been a frustrating launch to say the least but lets hope you can fix this like you fixxed her issue.

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

I was perturbed by the “sorry, but we won’t be able to fix this” response, simply because I was expecting a “this may take a lot of time” response. But I was thrilled when it changed to “we will be working on a solution”. I don’t read any guarantees, but I am happy they are reevaluating how important it is to us.

Time is not an issue. It is a no-sub game. We paid once, and patches will fix the issues. I understand not everyone will share my opinion, but it is cold logic. Waiting a few days for the Trade Post, or Gem Purchase, or an account to be un-hacked (which let’s face it, hacked accounts are almost 99% users fault), while not losing out on a paid service (since we pay nothing) is great. (the other big game out there with a sub had these types of issues for months after release, while we paid)

My point is, in less than 24 hours, our feedback received a more concrete response. They listen. They may have higher priority concerns, and this one might have moved up a bit more, because they listen.

But, I won’t be touching my Story unless solo. Sad, but that’s how it’ll be.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Posted by: Science Officer Six.9231

Science Officer Six.9231

My story skipped from “A Fragile Peace” to “Forewarned is Forearmed”. My partner Death Ducky created the “Fragile Peace” instance and I accepted to progress ahead at the end. Overnight my story skipped, after I was unable to log in on my ele.

Group was Human Necro – Death Ducky and myself Human Ele – Science Officer Six.
We were approx level 56 or so when we did this, but took a break from story so am not 100% on it.

We both took the Vigil story at Orders of Tyria specifically to progress them together.

(edited by Science Officer Six.9231)

Posted by: westy.6329

westy.6329

I was also perturbed by the “sorry, but we won’t be able to fix this". To me, this was a slap in the face. I really hope they can come up with a fix that allows me to experience my story.

Posted by: Stosi.5643

Stosi.5643

Nickname: Stosos – skipped storyline

Posted by: Starla.5049

Starla.5049

Character name Starlla on server Jade Quarry. Was in a group with Ars Digita. I chose to follow the storyline with him in the group. He stayed at level 30 and I switched to 48.

Posted by: Emma.7596

Emma.7596

Character name Itsemma, Theif, in server Ring of Fire, Skipped from level 30 quest to a level 48

Posted by: Starsky.4186

Starsky.4186

Okay this is still happening to people and halting their progress. With so much emphasis on personal story this sure is a slap in the face.

This should be PRIORITY 1 fix. It goes without saying how game breaking it is.

We just have to know… Can our characters be fixed? Is it a lost cause to continue plying or should I either shelf this game or return it?

Thanks,

Extreemly bummed out fan

Posted by: Anelei.4201

Anelei.4201

Affected character: Anelei (lvl31 Norn Mesmer at that moment, now lvl38; jeweller and artificer)
In a group with: Ingorn (now lvl43 Norn Ranger; weaponsmith and huntsman) who progressed normally
Server: Gandara
Story: Sever the Head (lvl30, finished, we chose Order of Whispers)
Skipped to: Suspicious Activity (lvl48, skipping happened upon arriving to Lion’s Arch)

Posted by: Twizted Shogun.4680

Twizted Shogun.4680

I’m a Human Thief currently level 41 I believe I was level 32 for the Trap mission. My character name is Twizted Shogun and the leader of the instance was Deathshadowdancer she was level 28 or 29.

She lead the instance and I was passenger for “The Trap”. After the reward we farmed just north of lion’s arch in the fields still in same party. We mapped to lions arch where she as the leader progressed normally I advanced to the level 48 mission “Suspicious Activity” . I tried her continuing her story missions with her as the leader hoping this would some how add the missions to my story progression. She’s currently on “An Apple A Day” and I’m still on the level 48 mission. I hope my current level doesn’t get downgraded in an attempt to fix the issue.

Posted by: Starsky.4186

Starsky.4186

Please do not forget about us

This topic is getting buried

TBrother.9138

I have been waiting to move on with my story until this is fixed. I thought we would have more info about this by now though. It’s almost been a week and all we know is that they are looking into it.

Posted by: Krellon.6085

Krellon.6085

this is really ruining it for me 40+ hours spent on my character who is bugged

Posted by: Stagnant.4035

Stagnant.4035

I’m frustrated that we’ve been left dangling again. This is a MAJOR issue blocking progress for hundreds of people. I thought we would have more information on this bug by now, and all the people who can’t continue their story right now (and haven’t been for a while now, with no fix in sight) are entitled to it.

Posted by: Lokiie.7690

Lokiie.7690

I’m frustrated that we’ve been left dangling again. This is a MAJOR issue blocking progress for hundreds of people. I thought we would have more information on this bug by now, and all the people who can’t continue their story right now (and haven’t been for a while now, with no fix in sight) are entitled to it.

I really agree, its getting pretty frustrating. I know they have a lot on their plate with everything going on but i kind of feel like i cant even play the game anymore. I tried leveling up a reroll of my main but just cant get into it, and alts don’t work because they aren’t the class i want to be playing.

As a side note, for those of us that got skipped when we selected our order, does character log in screen show that you joined your order? Mine doesn’t and I’m assuming that’s why the level 48 mission we were skipped to wont work.

Navi.7142

Where should that be shown that we joined the order?

TBrother.9138

I don’t have the banner, my brother received the banner and his didn’t skip. Hopefully we can still get it

Posted by: Mochiisuke.1609

Mochiisuke.1609

Same here, I didn’t get the banner, but my wife did. Her story didn’t skip.

westy.6329

Is anything being done about this? Nothing has been said about the topic or a fix those affected for days now.

Posted by: Kingslayer.1784

Kingslayer.1784

My wife and I are ready to continue our personal stories already. By the time this gets resolved I will most likely be 80 and that will be pretty lame.

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

For all those still responding in this thread, please procede to the thread linked in this quote if you suffered from this bug!

Hey everyone,

We’re doing some further investigation on this issue and would appreciate it if you could post in this thread with your character name if you’ve been affected by this issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we look into this.

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

Posted by: neatchee.6149

neatchee.6149

For all those still responding in this thread, please procede to the thread linked in this quote if you suffered from this bug!

Most of us have posted in that thread, but it states very clearly that there should be NO DISCUSSION there, only posting of the requested information.

Many of us are still waiting for some word on what will be done about this issue. I know that I’ve stopped playing my character except in PvP, and my girlfriend is now hurtling ahead of me in levels.

I think what most people here want is just some kind of update on any progress made in the last 3 days regarding this issue. What are the current thoughts from the dev team? What kinds of solutions are they looking into? What are the best and worst case scenarios at the moment?

Posted by: noobus.3092

noobus.3092

I’m getting close to lvl 48 and debating if I should do the lvl 48 personal story quest or if I should wait for the REAL fix instead – getting my story reset to the lvl 31 quest that was rightfully next in my personal story.
Since this bug hit me I feel that my character’s progress has slowed down considerably(perhaps also due to the diminishing interest in the story, besides the XP and rewards that were refused to me thanks to this bug).
..So, any news about the fix?

neatchee.6149

@noobus: As I understand it, if this bug hit you at lvl 30/31, you CANNOT complete the Lvl 48 story, because you never actually joined a faction. Since the lvl 48 quest is a faction-related quest (priory, vigil, whispers) and you are not a member of the appropriate faction, the quest will not trigger.

Navi.7142

I wonder what is happening, too.
At the moment we (my bf and me) cannot really play how we would like to play (doing some PVE and at an appropriate level doing the personal storylines (together if me make the same choice)). As it affected two of my characters I am not able to do their storylines anymore. (And so are my bf’s character that play with mine, though he isn’t affected by this bug, I slow him down!!!) On the other side what will happen to the rest of my characters if they reach this point of storyline?
So all I can do now is just exploring and this kind of stuff, which is still nice, but I also want to proceed with my characters and that’s not happening as long as we do not know how and if that will be fixed?

Posted by: Blades.9417

Blades.9417

It has been a week since we started having this issue, any word on it?

Meanwhile, both mine and my gf’s story is completely stoped.

I played some alts (no story involved), but still, story is important and i want to do it without worrying i will be skipped.

SFR thief.

TBrother.9138

they posted yesterday in the other threat saying “Thanks for the responses! There should be a fix on the way for the bug.”

westy.6329

Bump

Don’t want this topic to disappear until the issue is resolved… or at least an update is issued.

TBrother.9138

Bump. Are people still having this problem or are we just waiting to see if they can fix it for us?

neatchee.6149

Can we please get some kind of update on this issue, even it’s just a “the bug is fixed, and we’re still working on getting your characters’ stories rolled back?”

It is very frustrating to have no indication of whether this issue is still being worked on, or whether it has been shelved in lieu of other issues that have taken higher priority.

TBrother.9138

I was hoping for an update also. My characters level is getting pretty high and I really want to start my story again soon.

Posted by: Kaoss.3186

Kaoss.3186

Indeed. While it is good Anet seems to be working on it, an update would be more than welcome. It has been more than a week for me and, in all honesty, I’ve pretty much stopped playing the game. Between this bug and others, the game is nigh unplayable. So, a quick solution for this would be great. I really like the game, but this wait is killing me.

Posted by: Krizhka.3967

Krizhka.3967

An update would be great.

Posted by: dantexr.7842

dantexr.7842

Waiting for a response too. I really want to do my personal story but my character is getting a too high level, so the rewards from missions 30-48 have no importance now. Also, we are skipping the game’s story, choices and consequences, and should be fixed as a priority because one of the best things of the game is the personal story.

Posted by: Blades.9417

Blades.9417

All i have done in this game so far is crafting, im nearing level 80, while my story is still on the 30’s, all because im waiting on Anet to fix this bug on my gf’s toon, the rewards I will receive will now be laughable, hopefully there will be some black lion keys, salvage kits and such.

It has been over a week, and there is nothing tangible.

It’s all good and fine to correct personal story bugs, but how about fixing the major bug that took away people’s personal story?

give us an update.

SFR thief.

westy.6329

I’m shelving guild wars 2 until this is fixed. I feel as though they don’t care about us. They helped people that exploited the game get there account back. When this issue first arouse, there stance was " too bad, deal with it" for everyone affected with the bug. Now they seem to be just sitting there hope for this to go away. no updates, no nothing

Posted by: Titan.9372

Titan.9372

All i have done in this game so far is crafting, im nearing level 80, while my story is still on the 30’s, all because im waiting on Anet to fix this bug on my gf’s toon, the rewards I will receive will now be laughable, hopefully there will be some black lion keys, salvage kits and such.

It has been over a week, and there is nothing tangible.

It’s all good and fine to correct personal story bugs, but how about fixing the major bug that took away people’s personal story?

give us an update.

I’m pretty much in the same situation. really getting aggravated because we both want to continue the story. We’ve worked really hard to keep our levels relatively close to one another, and we fear me progressing through my story is just going to screw that.

Any info on this would be appreciated since the last major piece of info on the matter was over a week ago.

TBrother.9138

I am just about level 80 now and hoping to move on with my story soon. I figured we would of had an update by now. Hopefully there will be fix with the next update.