Ogre Wars meta stuck forever

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: maze.9713

maze.9713

The Ogre Wars meta is stuck after capturing the two camps. The meta description just says “Our allies have taken Sapper’s Delve and Bloodgorge Watch” but no one shows up to progress the chain. This is very irritating, since I need Stravig the Defender for my Precursor-Collection. I have not counted the time I have waited, but it’s in the hour-range.

On a side note: What is wrong with this forum’s search function? It’s absolutely terrible. I enter half a name and 3 posts come up. One of the posts contains the full name, but when I complete it in the search bar, all posts disappear.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

Ogre Wars have been stuck again on and off for the last few weeks. Right now it is stuck again at the “Charr and Vanguard forces are assaulting Foulbear Kraal and its Leaders” phase. Been like this the whole day.

I am bumping this because I see no use in making yet another thread about this: the bug seems to be the exact same one that has been plagueing this event forever now.

Here is the most extensive writeup about this bug: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/OGRE-WARS-full-path-to-event-lock-up

And an older thread with dev-participation when they were still interested in this bug: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Ogre-Wars-in-new-game-update

(edited by Tyncale.1629)

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

nod it’s a pain in the neck. By this point I hope that anet just put in place a “restart once a day” timer or something on map servers, so that the worst case is that these get kicked out and restarted when they hang. :/

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’d like to see them offer the “Cliffside Fractal treatment”. Like Ogre Wars, that fractal was subject to getting stalled for a variety of reasons. Like Ogre Wars, ANet tried a number of things to fix it. Like Ogre Wars, each individual change actually did fix the thing it was designed to fix — the problem was that exposed 1-2 other things that hadn’t been addressed (either because they were unknown or beyond the scope of the fix), and as a result, fractal progress could still get stalled.

In the end, they solved it not by solving the individual problems one by one, but providing a work-around (in additional to any single issues). In that case, it was by providing an NPC to replace the hammer at each check point.

Similarly, Ogre Wars has check points/flags. At each point, there could be an NPC that would allow someone on the map to trigger the next part (with various controls to prevent trolling, e.g. a ‘key’ from the previous event that could be used only once and disappears with the the start of the next event).

Alternatively, there could be a series of timers:
For example, when map spawns, start a timer. After 2 hours, if the chieftain hasn’t been killed, start the 1 hour map-closure timer. Reset the timer if he has been.

Alternatively, the timers could be based on each step of the chain, resetting to the start if the step hasn’t been completed within an hour.

tl;dr ANet, please don’t worry about fixing the chain. Instead, work on ensuring that the chain has a way of resetting regardless of how or why it stalls.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

SlippyCheeze.5483

tl;dr ANet, please don’t worry about fixing the chain. Instead, work on ensuring that the chain has a way of resetting regardless of how or why it stalls.

That’s essentially why I’m eyeballing “restart entire map server regularly” as a solution to these things; they show up enough times, in enough chains, that it seems easier to just restart the entire thing than try to add resets to every single event chain individually.

It’s … not clean, but it’s probably effective.

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

That’s essentially why I’m eyeballing “restart entire map server regularly” as a solution to these things; they show up enough times, in enough chains, that it seems easier to just restart the entire thing than try to add resets to every single event chain individually.

The issue here is that, the stalls are so numerous and inconsistent that I’ve seen the meta literally stall within an hour or two of a restart.

You could have the server restart every day, but if it stalls in an hour or two, what’s the point?

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

SlippyCheeze.5483

The issue here is that, the stalls are so numerous and inconsistent that I’ve seen the meta literally stall within an hour or two of a restart.

You could have the server restart every day, but if it stalls in an hour or two, what’s the point?

It’s not about fixing it as soon as possible, it’s about ensuring that it at least runs for a while. If it still stalls every time reproducibly, that’s cool, and anet will be able to fix it.

The problem is when they can’t get an easy reproduction of it, so they can’t debug what is breaking. That’s hard, and for that the only solution is a server restart … which right now happens if there is enough load on a map, or a patch is released.

With “once a day” at least you have a better chance the next day it won’t be stuck when you try. Make sense? It’s, like, not amazingly great compared to really fixing it, but at least it limits the amount of damage done.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not a big fan of ANet spending the effort figure out how to shut down instances more often. I’d prefer that they figure out a way that enables players to keep the chain moving along, regardless of why it stalls.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tyncale.1629

Tyncale.1629

Still stuck at various levels of the Meta. Are devs even reading these forums? This topic dropped almost to page 5 in just 2 weeks, the amount of bugs (re)reported is rather staggering for what is supposed to be a triple A game. Is GW2 on lifesupport?

SlippyCheeze.5483

Still stuck at various levels of the Meta. Are devs even reading these forums?

ANet do read the forums, but they rarely respond here. If you want a personal response to something, file a support ticket through the website.