The "Interact While Running" Bug [Merged]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Beastageddon.4037

Beastageddon.4037

This bug causes characters to become completely unresponsive to user input and run in a straight line for a short interval after attempting to pick up an item while running. It happens in both PvP and PvE and can be extremely frustrating. Since character control is such a fundamental in any game, I find it surprising that this has not been addressed. Perhaps an ANet employee could comment, as I am sure the vast majority of players have experienced this bug at some point, and it has been in the game since release.

Interact / Auto-Run Bug?
Losing control when interact with items
Character won’t stop running
Auto running and pressing “F” to pick up a banner
Uncommanded movements
stickly movement keys
Running bug when trying to pick up loot
Failing to Pick Up Objects While Moving
Bundle Bug
Picking up environmental objects
Pick up the crystal!
Keep walking!
Movement bug
Attack animations and picking up bundles
Old bugs, New Dungeon?

(edited by Beastageddon.4037)

Posted by: Jayshua.5068

Jayshua.5068

I have been having this issue since launch and have not been able to put my finger on it, as to what it is or what is causing it.

Happened again in SE Final Boss again today and happens in other situations similar to this.

I am auto-attacking something…

I see the “Interact” Button popup so a boulder I am standing over…

I Press “F” to Interact and Pick Up said object…

I DO NOT Pick Up the Object…

Instead I starting running off across the area, with no help from my movement keys…

And end up in the lava, or in AC falling off of something, or in the world just running off toward some random boss…

Posted by: Funkmachine.9815

Funkmachine.9815

I have a norn warrior and i noticed when i’m running/auto running while pressing F to pick up my banner ahead of me i run past it and lose control of my character for like 1.5 sec. Happens 5/10 times, its weird…also sometimes when i run into say a rabbit or an environment animal i sometimes stop and get stuck.

Jayshua.5068

No one else noticed this weird glitch?

Posted by: Pie Formation.8196

Pie Formation.8196

This happens when you try to pick up an object while moving, if you have to be standing still to pick it up. Happens with warrior banners all the time.

Miyazawa Kengo — Nefarious Mushroom Plan [gasp] — Stormbluff Isle
“Come! Break your weapons upon me!”

Jayshua.5068

Thats just it, I am not moving at all… Just standing still and Auto Attacking and Interacting with whatever is under me.

Posted by: myng.3516

myng.3516

Positive you’re not just tapping ‘R’ by mistake? Have you tried unassigning the auto-run key (i.e. leaving it blank)?

Overpaid, Underplayed

Beastageddon.4037

YES this happens to me all the time, it is so annoying!!! It makes keg brawl a nightmare. My character just continues in a straight line and wont respond at all to changing the camera angle or pressing keys.

Beastageddon.4037

I discovered this bug while playing keg brawl. It is so frustrating when you try to pick up the keg and end up running past it in a straight line, the character becoming completely unresponsive to any keyboard/mouse input. I don’t think you have to have auto run on, as I am sure this happens if I am running normally and hit F. Really bad bug imo, It’s hard to believe it made it into release.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/Auto-running-and-pressing-F-to-pick-up-a-banner

Posted by: Funkmachine.9815

Funkmachine.9815

I fell off a keep wall today into death cause of this lol

Posted by: Azula.7012

Azula.7012

Yeah same thing happens if you go to pick up a banner and someone gets it before you.

Posted by: Idolicious.6091

Idolicious.6091

Wth…so this is what causes it! Aha! I use autorun all the time, no wonder…

Fix this please Anet lol.

Posted by: WBL.6715

WBL.6715

Posted by: Mojo.8431

Mojo.8431

I’ve notice that if I were moving in a direction by holding down the movement keys (to strafe and such) and I either try to pick up an object, get immobilized, etc. which interrupts movement that particular movement key becomes “sticky” where you need to press it again in order to stop moving
this happens the most with the jade maw where I need to move to a shard and pick it up quickly

(for those wondering this isn’t necessarily a keyboard issue but rather the game registering key press vs key release)

(edited by Mojo.8431)

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Don’t use Auto-run.

Posted by: GoZero.9708

GoZero.9708

I suffer from this too.

Don’t use Auto-run.

It’s not auto-run. Holding W and pressing F to pick up an object (such as a Reflective Crystal in the Solid Ocean Fractal) has many times caused me to become stuck in a run and fail to pick up the object for about a second. A second doesn’t sound bad but in Solid Ocean Fractal it can either lead you to being downed or just walking straight off a cliff. I’ve seen other people do the same thing as well.

Posted by: Iures.2894

Iures.2894

As GoZero said, it isn’t auto-run. You can’t auto-run to the sides or backwards, but this bug works in any direction.

The place I encounter it the most is against the Tar Elemental event at R&D Waypoint in Cursed Shore. Immobilize spam while you’re trying to move is sure to activate it. . .

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed this, but if I try to pick up an item off of the ground (and sometimes to rez someone too) while I’m still moving, my character takes off on uncontrolled movements and I have to either dodge roll to get control back or spam directional buttons. Example: AC path 1- getting the scepter pieces back, if I run past it to grab it off the ground and try to avoid the groups (even if I stop for a second to get it) and spam F or try clicking it on the ground my character refuses to pick it up then proceeds to run around on it’s own accord and I usually wind up dying because I have no control over it. This only seems to happen if I’m still on the move, or if I try to move immediately after trying to pick up the item. On a rare occasion it has happened in combat while resurrecting someone too.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I was gonna start a thread on this, but never got around to it.

This happens when you’re moving when you try to interact with an object… It’s highly annoying.

I do so love applying swiftness, laying down a banner on my warrior, and going to pick it up… Only to swiflty run past my banner, and fall off the cliffside to my death, because I have no control over my chracter.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

I’ve noticed this issue too. Especially on the Jade Kraken. I run to a crystal and hit F, I carry on running for a bit with no control. Sometimes I then pick it up even though I’m now nowhere near it.

Posted by: Parvati.5780

Parvati.5780

I have the same issue, thankfully I’ve had no deaths caused by it yet.

Halcyon.7352

Strangely, I actually can’t recreate this bug in cities. Or at least, The Black Citadel and The Grove… Yet I can actually do it on purpose in ‘the wild’ so to speak, in actual zones, routinely.

For the toast!

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

I’ve seen this a few times when trying to do something that limits movement, like helping downed players or interacting with objects.

The casting bar usually appears, but the character keeps moving (at least from my perspective). Almost like the server considers the character stopped and interacting with the object, but the client fails to fully handle the “key up” event and the character appears to keep moving.

Bashing the movement keys usually cancels the odd interaction quickly, but I’ve had a few close calls in the Cliffside fractal.

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

The way to cancel this easily is to press and release the key for the direction that you are traveling. teistiz is absolutely correct that it seems like a keyup event is not being handled correctly. Pressing and releasing the key for your current direction of travel resends the keyup, having your character stop.

I don’t think this is being handled correctly on the server, though. If the server thinks you’ve stopped, but the client thinks you’re still moving, you should “rubberband” back to the location the server thinks you are when positions are next updated. Then again, if the sever is trusting the client calculations for location, that explains all the teleporting bots…

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

Having the problem too, where I run and interact with something without stopping, my character just keeps running forward without picking the object up and I have to dodge or press movement keys a few times for my character to snap out of it and give me the control so I can run back to the object, stop and then interact with it.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I’ve seen this a few times when trying to do something that limits movement, like helping downed players or interacting with objects.

The casting bar usually appears, but the character keeps moving (at least from my perspective). Almost like the server considers the character stopped and interacting with the object, but the client fails to fully handle the “key up” event and the character appears to keep moving.

Bashing the movement keys usually cancels the odd interaction quickly, but I’ve had a few close calls in the Cliffside fractal.

Yeah you explained it a little better than I did I think, the interaction bar begins but you just keep running. Also as someone mentioned above, pretty sure it has never happened in towns to me either, but it’s easily reproducible so I’ll try to force it to happen in a town and see what I get.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

I have the same issue, it’s incredibly annoying and it costed me a few deaths.

Posted by: Ballistic Tomato.3908

Ballistic Tomato.3908

ya.. widespread issue.. i am sure they have gotten hundreds of reports about it already… whatever that’s worth

Fuz.5621

ya.. widespread issue.. i am sure they have gotten hundreds of reports about it already… whatever that’s worth

Hope so, this should be a top priority.

Posted by: Shadewolfe.8165

Shadewolfe.8165

I have a similar problem, but it’s not Warrior/Banner specific.

There are times, usually while in combat, that I am using my WASD keys to move and one or more of them will seem to “stick.” To cancel this I have to push which ever directional has decided to “stick.” But usually by then my character is beyond saving and I find myself cussing at my monitor.

However it is not the keyboard keys sticking.
This happens often enough it almost makes the game unplayable for me. I would list reproduction steps, however it seems really random outside of it’s association to the WASD keys.

(edited by Shadewolfe.8165)

Halcyon.7352

Few sporadic threads here and there on this subject.

I have yet to see anyone from Anet acknolwedge this as an issue…

For the toast!

Halcyon.7352

So much fun having to rebuild sigil stacks because of this.

For the toast!

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

the stopping when you walk into a rabbit is an option to help with melee in the settings, if you turn it off you can run through rabbits etc. no idea about the banner though

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

This is an issue with all classes where you just randomly keep running, unable to stop or hit reverse, it has led to many deaths, I’ve noticed this issue since day 1.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: malevolence.9487

malevolence.9487

This is an issue with all professions, races etc. And it is not only with Banners, it is actually with all items that can be picked up pressing F, even the Crystal shield in the fight against the Jade Maw in Fractals of the Mist. It is very annoying because once your character start running (not picking up the item) it cannot be stop.

Posted by: garraeth.3267

garraeth.3267

Easy to replicate and happens all the time.

Posted by: Havok.3750

Havok.3750

This needs a fix, very soon. It happens with more than banners! There has been times in Fractals where I would try to pick up the hammer for that specific part (And run right off the edge because I can’t stop!) or when I try to pick up a Crystal from boss in fractal 10, 12 ect (End up running past, getting knocked down not only affecting the team but making it look like I fail in general.)

I didn’t actually realise it was from the auto-run all the time, most without actually realising I’m doing it. It affects game-play and should be fixed ASAP.

Posted by: Darxio.5672

Darxio.5672

I find this happening to me ALL THE TIME.

I can replicate it. Basically, run past the item and hit F JUST as you are on the edge of the item’s ‘Hit F’ range. You will lose control for ~1.5 seconds and keep running. Nothing you do will break the autorun animation in that ~1.5 second time.

My theory: You autoran out of the ‘Hit F’ range but were in range to activate it anyway. You invisibly try to pick it up but don’t show that pickup animation, and just keep autorunning instead until the invisible animation is done. You end up with nothing picked up, and are that much further away from what you tried to pick up.

This has resulted in MANY dungeon problems with me, and it happens even when not autorunning. Autorun, however, is the most reliable way to replicate it.

The fact that it locks you into the run animation while it does that invisible pick-up animation and you can’t do anything is what really bothers me.

Brigade of the Black Twilight [BBT]
Darxio – Thief Commander

Posted by: Fiddlesticks.8137

Fiddlesticks.8137

Myself and a few others I play wih have noticed that if you are running and try to pick up an item, boulder, torch, etc out character will keep running for about 5-10 feet and not pick it up. I’ve witnessed a couple deaths where the player tried to run an pick up a torch on the Ice Elemental fractal and he just kept running and ran right off the scaffolding to their death.

Maguuma
Gwyenever
[PUGs] Pick up Guild

Posted by: turshija.3627

turshija.3627

I can confirm this happening to me many times.

Searchable leaderboards → http://www.gwshack.info
Leaderboards feedback → /forum/pvp/pvp/Leaderboards-with-search-www-gwshack-info/first

Fuz.5621

Please fix this soon, it’s incredibly annoying.

Jayshua.5068

Very frustrating bug and even more frustrating around Holiday Events. Please look into this ArenaNet! Please?

Posted by: xerca.6135

xerca.6135

This has been mentioned before, but since it is still around and starting to drive me nuts, I will just take it up again.

Sometimes when you run towards an object you can pick up, like the Snow in Toypocalypse or a summoned ele weapon or any other object on the ground that you can pick up. Anyway, sometimes when you run towards said object and presses the key to pick it up, your character ignores the action and keeps running forward and having you lose control over it for a few seconds. Pressing keys to make your character stop or turn does not work at all. It gives you the control back after a few steps so you can turn around, run back to the object, stop and then press the key to pick it up.

I usually have this glitch every now and then out in the world and in instances, but while doing the Toypocalypse, I have been noticing it almost every time I am to pick up an object. The most frustrating moments are when I am in the Cliffside Fractal and tries to pick up the hammer, and my characters just keeps running past it and over the edge of the platform. Not fun.

Posted by: THATS GOLD.2806

THATS GOLD.2806

This has been really annoying for me. Most of the time it doesn’t pose a problem, but in dungeons like fractals… Picking up a reflecting crystal in time is near impossible.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

And i always thought my keyboard is faulty or something. They really should fix this.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

I died a lot due to this bug from running down cliffs or into large groups of enemies. I still can’t believe it hasn’t been fixed yet. Obviously has to do with the ‘picking up animation’. Dev’s already know about this bug, but have yet to do anything about it. Sigh.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: DungeonDaughter.7391

DungeonDaughter.7391

It’s especially nice when you’re in jade maw and you try to grab a crystal, but instead you run past it and then die. Multiple times.

“We just don’t want players…in Guild Wars 2.
No one enjoys [it]. No one finds it fun.” —Colin J.

Posted by: OpticNerve.3057

OpticNerve.3057

Had this happen to me countless times and it’s quite annoying. Hopefully the devs fix this soon.

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

Once i fall into lava while trying to get a rock in shaman lol.

This is definetly most annoying thing in the game.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I believe this happens if you are holding the right mouse button while moving (to rotate the camera). At least in my case it happens when I’m doing that