Account Closures: 2 November 2015

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Hey guys. I’m looking at these but they take a lot of time. I know it’s not what you want to hear but I’ll get to your case as soon as I can.

A lot of these ‘false positives’ are not false – they’re due to account sharing. Account sharing is bad. It makes you look guilty of things someone else did.

If you are innocent; you will play again. I’ll work all weekend if I have to.

Why should you need to look further than account sharing…

Posted by: kathairein.2906

kathairein.2906

I understand that people’s accounts get hacked, but my question is if you are an active player how could you not know. If you try to log in twice, the client kicks you out and tells you if you’ve logged in from another location (This I’ve tested). Even if it didn’t wouldn’t you notice your assets, such as XP, gold or resources changing or am I missing something here? I’ve been playing 3 year and always know approximately how much of everything I have.

You also get the e-mail about someone trying to log from a different IP but that system isn’t perfect either. Talking to CS about my boyfriend’s ban and it turns out they still have our old IP whitelisted, even though we moved towns more than 2 months ago.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^You have to remove IP addresses you have white-listed from the Security section of ‘My Account’. Nothing will remove it automatically. When I travel, I white-list IP addresses of the hotels I stay at, which will stay white-listed, until I personally remove them. It has nothing to do with where you live (except that the authorization device you use can, and will, learn a range of IP addresses that get a lot of use).

Posted by: kathairein.2906

kathairein.2906

Is it normal that we didn’t even get a notification our accounts are logged in from a different IP when we moved?

“Below is the only IP record on file since before the HoT launch and is also the only whitelisted IP. No other IPs have accessed the account.” <- This is what the GM I spoke to told me and then he gave me the IP from my old house address.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Is it normal that we didn’t even get a notification our accounts are logged in from a different IP when we moved?

“Below is the only IP record on file since before the HoT launch and is also the only whitelisted IP. No other IPs have accessed the account.” <- This is what the GM I spoke to told me and then he gave me the IP from my old house address.

Its not a single IP that is whitelisted but an range of IPs from you ISP, so if you move
not to far and still have the same ISP it is possible you are still in the same range.

for example for me its :
x.×.0.0 – x.×.255.255

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Kraiz.6720

Kraiz.6720

I am sure you’ll agree that false positives happen EVERY time you do ban waves no matter how much you try to check.

Cheating on 2 of your 9 accounts got all 9 of them banned.

9 accs……. I fail to see any real reason any normal player would need more than 1 account.

There is some person I forget name that brag all time about 30 account. They do for log in reward. Account easy make 40-50 gold month from use laurel for T-6 mat to sell on TP. When there was sale on account some people buy many. I do not think worth money but some think it is.

Ok yeah the log in rewards, still, some ppl need more exciting hobbies. I’ve heard good things about fishing…

What is you point then? I explain why some people buy many account during sale. I hear things about not typing anymore.

My point was quite simple. Im not going to explain myself. Have a nice day

Posted by: Kraiz.6720

Kraiz.6720

I am sure you’ll agree that false positives happen EVERY time you do ban waves no matter how much you try to check.

Cheating on 2 of your 9 accounts got all 9 of them banned.

9 accs……. I fail to see any real reason any normal player would need more than 1 account. I also don’t see the reason of multi-boxing, anybody doing that cant have a honest reason for doing so….. unless they are like some kind of super-nerd…. even still…..
Kuddos GW2 team.

I remember at launch all the dang bots running around stealing all the nodes from underground. That was annoying. Probably unrelated but i’m sure they were multiboxers.

As was said here:

This is correct. However, if you are running multiple accounts and choose to cheat on one of them, we are going to close all of them. This ban wave had nothing to do with multi-boxing, but likely also impacted players that owned multiple accounts.

this is NOTHING to do with ’boxing so stop spreading FUD.

Your right. It does not. I was talking about launch and stating my opinion on multi-boxing.

Posted by: Coni.5024

Coni.5024

Hello, I am posting this on behalf of my friend whose account name is Miilanda.3905.
My friend just saw this topic recently. This ban wave also banned her account. But she also got falsely banned. She’s been mailing for the past 6 days and the replies she got seems like auto replying from ArenaNet. She asked a lot of things, but she doesn’t get any answers on her question. The only messages she get is that her account will be permanently closed. She can’t also log in on the forums no matter what account she use. She seems to have been IP banned. Below is her message.

I’ve had a Guild Wars 2 account for over 3 years. I took a break of 2 years and I came back to this game half a year ago. I have never used any cheat or hack in the past and also I did not when I came back to this game. I’ve never showed bad behavior to the community like swearing or anything else. What I want to say is, I have got never a warning or suspension for anything, because I love the game and I would never do such a thing.

Now, the problem is I also got permanently banned in this ban wave. What happened is I trusted a friend after I came back into the game. I like to help people, he liked to help people and so we both liked to help people. We shared our accounts so we could help each other (i.g. dailies) as well.
Apparently, what I didn’t know was, he used a software called Guild Wars 2 Combat Mode 1.1. He told me about this after we got both banned at the same time. You can understand I was furious at him, because I didn’t know he was using a software which I was not aware of and I would have never gave permission to him to use such program if he asked me.
I still don’t even know exactly what this program is. He told me that your character got to lock to a cross-hair in the middle of the screen. So the game feels more like an action MMO other than just a standard MMO. He says it is absolutely harmless and gives no advantage in this game at all. Also it does not alter the files or data of the game. He also said it got a green flag from ArenaNet almost 3 years ago. Link: https://m.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10s4s6/combat_mode_11.

I explained this situation by mailing ArenaNet several times, but the only reaction I got is that I got permanently banned for the use of a third party software, which is unfair for other players, because I got advantage. I have stated in every mail this is not the case. He used a software of which I didn’t know of and did not give permission to him and while he used this software he (or me) did not get any advantage by using this program.
What I still don’t know is what ArenaNet found on my account. Was it only because of this Guild Wars 2 Combat Mode 1.1 that I got banned or did they find more software that were used on my account without my permission and which my friend did not tell me about? I want to know exactly what has been used and what for, but I do not get any answers from ArenaNet.

Beside this I feel like I am falsely punished. I did not get any warning. ArenaNet can see what happened on an account. According to ArenaNet they can see who logged in on the account and what actions someone (IP?) did on that account. They should see I did not use any program on my account with my IP address. Still they are saying I was wrong with my account because a software has been used on my account. But again, this was not me and I never ever wanted anyone to use such software on my account.
After a few mails I got a GM who stated I was right. He checked my account. He told me I have to follow a few steps and I will get my account back. When I followed these steps I got a reply from another GM that I am not getting my account back because of using the software.
All I am asking is just a chance I can prove I was not wrong with my account. What basically happened is: my friend used my account, he used Guild Wars 2 Combat mode 1.1 and I got banned. This just doesn’t seem fair for me. There are people who are abusing other peoples account, selling gold or gems for real money and they get a warning. I, shared my account with the wrong person, got permanently banned.

Due all this I lost a friend of mine (I do not talk to him anymore), lost the community/guild I loved, my time put into this game, all the effort I made in this game and the money I spent on this game by buying gems, core game and HoT. What did I do wrong? Shared my account to one, wrong person.

I want to know what is happening with my account ArenaNet. Is there any chance I can still get my account back and prove myself I was not wrong? Miilanda.3905

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I understand that you will have to use support to continue review your issue.Hopefully you still have the conflicting e-mails and a higher up will review and make a final decision. That being said you did violate the the terms of agreement when you shared your account.

Coni.5024

I hope you can understand I forgot about such silly thing like account sharing is forbidden after over 3 years of having this account and a 1,5 to 2 years of a break from this game. We are all human, we make mistakes. I did already make a mistake by sharing my account and now I got also punished by a permanent ban. Why don’t I get a chance to prove myself I am not wrong?

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

I bet it would be frustrating to have your account closed and you know you didn’t cause it, and at the same time, getting ignored tickets. But I know there are probably others here who actually did something, and are trying to wiggle their way out of a tight situation.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Blude.6812

I hope you can understand I forgot about such silly thing like account sharing is forbidden after over 3 years of having this account and a 1,5 to 2 years of a break from this game. We are all human, we make mistakes. I did already make a mistake by sharing my account and now I got also punished by a permanent ban. Why don’t I get a chance to prove myself I am not wrong?

I understand, but your attitude calling it a ‘silly thing’ doesn’t help the case. There is a reason for it and it’s what could happen when you share. You agreed to it to the terms.
So you can continue to go through support to get a review. But don’t be surprised when posting access is removed also.

Good luck with your efforts.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

So you think its ok when players make a break and for that time share their account
to a china farmer that earns them some money, and after that when you want to
play again, ANet should say its all ok since YOU didn’t played personally ?

Do you also lend your car to people that need a car for a bank raid whenever
you personally don’t need it .. and are upset when the police suddenly stand
at your door ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Michiko.2051

Michiko.2051

So you think its ok when players make a break and for that time share their account

at your door ?

I think you understand it wrong. She haven’t played for 3 years and got back in the game since July this year. She didn’t lend her account to someone else back then.

Leader of Divine Knights of Balthazar[DKB]
Europe

Blude.6812

at your door ?

I think you understand it wrong. She haven’t played for 3 years and got back in the game since July this year. She didn’t lend her account to someone else back then.

Reading it——1.5-2years (not 3 years btw) and admitted sharing her account. No need to play around with semantics and exaggeration. It’s in Anets hands and is completely up to them now.

Coni.5024

First off English isn’t her 1st language, no need to be rude. She only shared her account recently (2-3 weeks) to someone she thought she could trust with it. Like you said it’s up to Anet. One GM has already said she could be unbanned but then another ignored it. Hopefully Michael will see her for the great player she is. Our guild has lost a wonderful member to this.

Oh and if others have been unbanned for this exact same thing, why not her?

Miilanda’s reply -

I think you understand me wrong. Excuse me if I am not clear with my post.

I never said I gave my account to a random farmer to farm some gold or whatever for me. It was a friend for who I trusted he would help me on my account with some dailies while I was off and such. Not for using any cheat software. I never gave him permission to do so and I never knew he used such program. If I knew he was using cheats, I would never gave my account to him. After I got banned he told me he has used Guild Wars 2 Combat Mode 1.1. I’ve never heard about such program untill I got banned. He told me this program was harmless, did not give advantages to players and has a green flag (see link in my first post). So, it was not used to farm gold or anything at all and it did not alter any files or data if I am correct.

I told in my post I had a break for 1,5 to 2 years. Due my absence I forgot about the rule of sharing account. If I didn’t forgot about this rule I wouldn’t trusted my account at the first place to my friend. It is not like all my friends knows my account. It was just one particular friend and exactly that friend was the wrong to entrust my account with. I regret this very, very much. If I did not trusted my account to him, this all would not have happened.

I hope this clears it up a little.

Miilanda.3905

(edited by Coni.5024)

Blude.6812

First off English isn’t her 1st language, no need to be rude. She only shared her account recently (2-3 weeks) to someone she thought she could trust with it. Like you said it’s up to Anet. One GM has already said she could be unbanned but then another ignored it. Hopefully Michael will see her for the great player she is. Our guild has lost a wonderful member to this.

Miilanda.3905

I assume if I went to court for speeding I could just say I haven’t driven in a year and forgot what the speed limit was. Sorry Your Honor!! He would see what a great driver I am and he would dismiss the charges and I would walk away.

1st of all , no one was being rude!!!!!! 2nd your biased interpretation isn’t what I read. I read a support person suggested a ruling , then a higher up(with further research) made a final call. It wasn’t a decision made, then ignored. It’s all a matter of perspective.
Shared is shared and is a violation, too bad she shared it with a cheater and was caught. (btw is the cheater she shared with a member of your guild too?) I guess I fall in with others that have said, if you share your account be prepared to face the consequences.

’nuff said——-Message from Anet in entire thread -DO NOT SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT! (and then plead ignorance)-—out of this conversation.

Bloodstealer.5978

I understand, but your attitude calling it a ‘silly thing’ doesn’t help the case. There is a reason for it and it’s what could happen when you share. You agreed to it to the terms.
So you can continue to go through support to get a review. But don’t be surprised when posting access is removed also.

Absolutely right, account sharing is bad news and not just for the person sharing the account.. it opens up a whole can of worms potentially.. but saying that, why should this poster be treated differently to that of Tyu who was also placed into a perma ban for suspect activities on his and others accounts that were shared…
Sure, finding that his account was not at fault for the third party activity but the account sharing was overlooked and his account reinstated… but that was the root of the issue in the first place.. 9 accounts were affected by these actions but the original violation, which lead to it all mysteriously gets overlooked and goes unpunished. and his account reinstated.
Seems to me that ANET are a whizz at setting double standards.
Bottom line if account sharing is a violation then it should be acted upon .. otherwise all these others issues on accounts are able to coexist with this behaviour. If its now not deemed to be a violation then remove it from the ToS and be done with it.

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

Absolutely right, account sharing is bad news and not just for the person sharing the account.. it opens up a whole can of worms potentially.. but saying that, why should this poster be treated differently to that of Tyu who was also placed into a perma ban for suspect activities on his and others accounts that were shared…
Sure, finding that his account was not at fault for the third party activity but the account sharing was overlooked and his account reinstated… but that was the root of the issue in the first place.. 9 accounts were affected by these actions but the original violation, which lead to it all mysteriously gets overlooked and goes unpunished. and his account reinstated.
Seems to me that ANET are a whizz at setting double standards.
Bottom line if account sharing is a violation then it should be acted upon .. otherwise all these others issues on accounts are able to coexist with this behaviour. If its now not deemed to be a violation then remove it from the ToS and be done with it.

But there is a difference between the two cases. With Tyu the cheat software was never used on his account. His account was logged in from an IP using cheat software.
In her case the cheat software was actually used on her account.

Also I doubt it was from the combat mod. It has been used by a lot of people for a long time. They even added it as an option in the game.

Account sharing is kinda like speeding. Depending how bad it was done is depends if you get a warning, ticket, or just ignored.

(edited by simplesimon.2084)

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

But there is a difference between the two cases. With Tyu the cheat software was never used on his account.

And apart from just his word, we have proof of this … how?

simplesimon.2084

But there is a difference between the two cases. With Tyu the cheat software was never used on his account.

Well he did get his account back.

Bloodstealer.5978

You missed the point.. he got his account back but its was sharing his account that violated the ToS and led to further violations across other accounts, whether or not the cheat was used on his own account. Therefore if they gave his account back and unbanned him then there is simply no point in having Account Sharing deemed as a violation of the ToS in the first place and anyo other player hit with a ban for it should now be unbanned… the root cause was the account share, the secondary effect was the cheat being used or his account info being used by another player who was also abusing the ToS.. both are serious offences.
This new plea for having their account reinstated has the same issues.. the person in question denies using anything that is deemed a cheat…. but having shared his/hers account info to someone else has allowed the other person to log into the account via another ip and use a third party cheat thus implicating both… why is this person not being responded to in the same way?.. double standard much.

Posted by: deltaconnected.4859

deltaconnected.4859

The double standard and message this sends is pretty cringeworthy. I do like some of the suggestions though… our daily-collecting alt accounts could be converted to timeshares, reap whatever gold comes in to the account, maybe collect a couple $$ for rent, and plead “sorry I didn’t know” when it inevitably gets banned from someone else’s actions. Cry loud enough and you’ll get a second chance. Even a third and fourth chance if some posters in this thread are any indication.

If you share your GW2 login, clearly you value it less than something financial or educational or workplace related otherwise you wouldn’t be sharing it in the first place. Any consequence that happens because of it is your fault and your fault alone, and whatever judgment Anet makes about it is their right entirely. It’s their support team spending time on users that broke the agreement instead of those with legitimate issues – of which from bad key batches to map rewards to progress resets there are guaranteed to be plenty.

And honestly, for anyone trying to say “I forgot account sharing is in the rules”, have you ever read an agreement that doesn’t explicitly disallow sharing login information? Or for that matter, read through even the headings to get an idea of what the generic agreement every game account ever states?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

You missed the point.. he got his account back but its was sharing his account that violated the ToS and led to further violations across other accounts, whether or not the cheat was used on his own account. Therefore if they gave his account back and unbanned him then there is simply no point in having Account Sharing deemed as a violation of the ToS in the first place and anyo other player hit with a ban for it should now be unbanned… the root cause was the account share, the secondary effect was the cheat being used or his account info being used by another player who was also abusing the ToS.. both are serious offences.
This new plea for having their account reinstated has the same issues.. the person in question denies using anything that is deemed a cheat…. but having shared his/hers account info to someone else has allowed the other person to log into the account via another ip and use a third party cheat thus implicating both… why is this person not being responded to in the same way?.. double standard much.

Or they deemed the however many days tyu was already banned for as a punishment for a first time offense and he’s been told if he gets caught account sharing again, the punishment will be more severe.

Not every TOS violation has to be met with a permanent ban on the first offense.

Every situation is different and it’s up to ANet to decide what punishment fits the crime.

Bloodstealer.5978

Or they deemed the however many days tyu was already banned for as a punishment for a first time offense and he’s been told if he gets caught account sharing again, the punishment will be more severe.

Not every TOS violation has to be met with a permanent ban on the first offense.

Every situation is different and it’s up to ANet to decide what punishment fits the crime.

So you don’t see Account sharing as a much more serious violation, one that warrants only a few days time out in the naughty corner along with players that have maybe abused the LFG policy or spammed chat .. cmon lets not silly.
If something as serious as Account Sharing and its repercussions that it enables is not worthy of immediate perma action then there really is no point in having it in their ToS because its obvious they don’t then take such things seriously.
That is actually the point I was making however .. the other poster now pleading for their accounts back should, in the interests of standardising of actions.. have their accounts unbanned and allowed immediate access to the game again.

Seera.5916

So you don’t see Account sharing as a much more serious violation, one that warrants only a few days time out in the naughty corner along with players that have maybe abused the LFG policy or spammed chat .. cmon lets not silly.
If something as serious as Account Sharing and its repercussions that it enables is not worthy of immediate perma action then there really is no point in having it in their ToS because its obvious they don’t then take such things seriously.
That is actually the point I was making however .. the other poster now pleading for their accounts back should, in the interests of standardising of actions.. have their accounts unbanned and allowed immediate access to the game again.

Not necessarily. Depends on how many times the account was shared and what was done during that sharing. The other person asking for account back after sharing it may have had it shared a lot more than tyu. Each situation is different and what is decided for one instance is not necessarily the same for another instance.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

Not necessarily. Depends on how many times the account was shared and what was done during that sharing. The other person asking for account back after sharing it may have had it shared a lot more than tyu. Each situation is different and what is decided for one instance is not necessarily the same for another instance.

Account sharing is against the TOS. What more needs to be said. If you violate the TOS you are at the mercy of ANet. You can plead your case, but if you violate the TOS and whether it is done knowingly or unknowingly, ANet has the right to step in and intervene and ignorance is no excuse. GW2 is not so expensive that account sharing was ever warranted or needed and it quickly becomes abuse if you’re sharing with someone on the other side of the world. With so much account bound these days, especially masteries, any account sharing is essentially cheating.

If you’re doing such things, it’s not a matter of being clever, it’s not a matter of fairness and only a matter of time before getting caught. It’s not a democracy, it’s not even a monarchy, ANet is an all-seeing God who can look in to the private accounts of each and every player. Like any God, they can choose to be merciful or enact swift judgement. If you want to keep your account play within the rules (Look them up if you don’t know them) and don’t anger the gods.

(edited by Leamas.5803)

Bloodstealer.5978

It has nothing to do with how many times it was shared.. you only have to share it once and it opens up the opportunity for other violations to occur and they did occur… why do you think pretty much every account holder for pretty much anything in every walk of life is specifically told – DO NOT SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT INFO WITH ANYONE!
Sorry but I disagree.. this kind of violation requires immediate permanent actions on the account to protect both the game and actually the player… if that account is compromised in anyway, knowingly or not, that account should be closed then if the player is then proven innocent i.e (account hacked) then maybe a stay of execution is granted but proving they did it without knowledge would be hard at best.

However ANET in their infinite wisdom saw fit to let Tyu off and allowed immediate access back into game, even though the violation of the ToS , which led to other violations occurring was openly admitted with a pile of excuses to try and justify his actions. So he dodged a bullet … therefore others who had accounts closed for the same reasons should now also be shown the same leniency and the ToS revised to say it’s ok to Account Share at their own risk.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Not like anyone will read this among everything else:

Fill out a support ticket, provide proof and details of everything you know and if you have done nothing wrong you get your account back.

I just got mine back after it was shut down from 3rd parties trying to access it, and I’m really thankful my account was shut down before they gained access to it. Anet has everything logged, if you’re innocent, you get your account back with a little surprise in the mail

Support is really helpful, thorough and deserve a bottle of booze to say thanks!

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Bloodstealer.5978

If ANET are not going to perma close accounts that having knowingly been shared / compromised, but instead decide to reinstate it then at the very least the account should be rolled back to the point which their data logs identify it… just like they do if your account becomes hijacked and you report it stolen to them.

Posted by: Michael Fejervary.8576

Michael Fejervary.8576

9. ACCOUNT ACCESS AND PERMISSIBLE ASSIGNMENT
(a) By clicking “I ACCEPT” You warrant and represent that You are: 1) at least 18 years of age and otherwise legally competent to read, understand and accept the provisions of this agreement on behalf of Yourself; 2) at least 18 years of age and otherwise legally competent to read, understand and accept the provisions of this agreement on behalf of Yourself and a minor age 13-17 for whom You are legally permitted to allow access to the Game; or 3) a minor age 13-17 who has been authorized to click “I ACCEPT” under the provisions of Section 9© below. YOU ARE HEREBY FOREWARNED THAT ArenaNet MAY, IN ITS REASONABLE DISCRETION, EXERCISE ITS SECTION 3(b) RIGHT TO TERMINATE BASED ON FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE CRITERIA ABOVE.

The very last part of 9(a) says what exactly?

16. GENERAL PROVISIONS
(a) It is Your responsibility to read, understand and accept this agreement in connection with Your use of the Service. You acknowledge that ArenaNet may make changes to the provisions of this agreement at any time and that Section headings in this agreement are for purposes of convenience only. You also acknowledge that each and every time You click “I ACCEPT” You warrant and represent that You did read, understand and accept the provisions in effect at that time.

What does the first line of 16(a) say?

When we click “I accept” or “Login” we are doing so only for our own personal use of the service, and not in regards to any other persons agreement with the ToS or how they may or may not be punished.

We don’t have to like it…oh, wait! Yes we do, because when we clicked “I accept” or “Login” we also agreed that possible punishments were at their discretion.

Just about every area of the ToS states things in a fashion similar to this snippet from the dispute section “ArenaNet may take any action, as conclusively determined in the reasonable discretion of ArenaNet, or no action whatsoever, including but not limited to termination of an Account under Section 3(b). ArenaNet has no obligation to explain any decision to take any action, or no action whatsoever”

In fact here is from the Forum Code of Conduct

• Do not debate Customer Support decisions or actions. Threads or posts designed to announce, appeal, or contest your own or another player’s suspension or account termination—be it forum or game account—will be removed without notice.

So, yeah! I really like this last one, because how does it look to continue to break rules that one agrees to, while trying to push so hard on how a reinstatement doesn’t send the right message to those who break the rules. Kind of a double standard huh?

The solution is very simple. Let it…Go! This issue was never open for debate between us and ArenaNet and should have never been allowed to go on as long as it has.

Posted by: Killoverme.3740

Killoverme.3740

My account as just ‘suspended’/closed and I’m not sure why…

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Same here as well

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Inculpatus cedo.9234

May have to do with the missing Map Completion rewards. Check your emails/wait an hour to see if you can, again, access your accounts.

Good luck.

Seera.5916

May have to do with the missing Map Completion rewards. Check your emails/wait an hour to see if you can, again, access your accounts.

Good luck.

I doubt that’s it. I’m missing Southsun Cove map completion rewards and I’m still sitting in game not banned. Not to mention I highly doubt they would ban those affected while implementing the fix.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Pretty sure that’s exactly it. Confirmation from the Devs and those affected over in the pertinent thread. =)

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Inculpatus, the map completion rewards missing issue is separate from the map reset bug that was just fixed for affected players. There’s no ETA on the map completion bug afaik.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Inculpatus cedo.9234

My bad. I thought they were one and the same. Then, I should have typed ‘Map Reset’ bug fix is what affected the accounts and temporary closures.

Sorry.

Posted by: Duzt.7293

Duzt.7293

It is actually not unfair at all. If you read the terms of service you are taking that risk when you use the same ip. Unfortunately, since all accounts are probably bought using the same payment method they are all considered shared.

The problem most people have when they get banned is they think they own the game and can treat it like any other game they may own. The reality is they are simply paying for its use (Thus the Terms of Service) and by breaking the rules they no longer qualify for the use of it (think breaking a contract)

Edit: In reality they don’t actually own the game they just pay for the use of it.

Posted by: lilcoffeebean.3149

lilcoffeebean.3149

But there is a difference between the two cases. With Tyu the cheat software was never used on his account. His account was logged in from an IP using cheat software.

Actually the reddit post where the dev made the comment on Tyu’s case, specifically says the software was used on his account.

“You should also know that the person using your account is using that software while they have access. This makes you liable; but forgiveness is the order of the day.”

That being said, whether Anet should make allowances for such cases is up for debate, but doing it for one, while not doing it for another (assuming the situation is the same) is a poor way to go about things. However, that all hinges on the ‘truth’ which we aren’t privy to. That’s why I don’t understand why there are so many in this thread ‘up in arms’.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion.
Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who.
Lilcoffeebean~Yak’s Bend~Perfect Dark [PD]

simplesimon.2084

Actually the reddit post where the dev made the comment on Tyu’s case, specifically says the software was used on his account.

“You should also know that the person using your account is using that software while they have access. This makes you liable; but forgiveness is the order of the day.”

That being said, whether Anet should make allowances for such cases is up for debate, but doing it for one, while not doing it for another (assuming the situation is the same) is a poor way to go about things. However, that all hinges on the ‘truth’ which we aren’t privy to. That’s why I don’t understand why there are so many in this thread ‘up in arms’.

You may want to read the hole post from proheal. Right above you quote Proheals said.

“When I started digging I could see where you had logged in and those times did not line up with when the illegal software use took place.”

Then your section came which means no illegal software was used in his account, but illegal software was used around to time this other individual had access to the account.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

So you don’t see Account sharing as a much more serious violation, one that warrants only a few days time out in the naughty corner along with players that have maybe abused the LFG policy or spammed chat .. cmon lets not silly..

Personally I don’t see account sharing is ever ‘bad’, ever.

A single account can only be played once at a time so it matters not at all who’s playing it at any point in time IMO.

Frankly I’ve always viewed the ban on sharing by treadtional sub-based MMOs as nothing more than corporate greed!

For instance, in WOW you pay for 24 hour access and if you use 24 hour access Blizzard has nothing to gripe about, so they have nothing to gripe about if two people share it ONE AT A TIME: same goes for Trion, Square Enix, Turbine, Sony, etc. etc. etc.

With B2P and F2P games the devs’ bleats about sharing have even less credibility than that to me.

Michael Fejervary.8576

As posted in my post above (which also shows how we are agreeing to ToS based on our own use not anyone else’s) and according to the Forum Code of Conduct

• Do not debate Customer Support decisions or actions. Threads or posts designed to announce, appeal, or contest your own or another player’s suspension or account termination—be it forum or game account—will be removed without notice.

So no the issue/s are not up for debate amongst ourselves and in itself is a punishable breakage to the rules that were accepted by users when using the forums and/or in game chat, etc. So each person that has went on in this thread (with more than just a simple statement of displeasure) about how the reinstatements are the wrong choice should then also have the proper rule enforcement placed upon them. Right?

I mean fair is fair. If one is to have the attitude that something regardless of severity is a violation then they should also face a punishment, because you know rules can’t be allowed to be broke under any circumstance.

The problem here is that some have taken to the extreme about things in this thread and leave a very toxic impression and stain on others in the community.

It isn’t really that hard to understand how/why they may determine different outcomes. Whether we agree with them or not.

It can be as simple as Player A was dumb enough to think that he was going to lie and hide what would be found in logs, etc upon deeper investigation where as Player B owned up in full up front for what actually happened and upon that deeper investigation they could see that while yes he may have shared that account the stuff that was done wrong was from an IP states away from his locale.

Seeing as how he had already suffered an extended ban they may have felt that the sharing which was broke on his part was a minor infraction that my have just warranted a temp suspension for a first time offense. In the end time was served.

Nothing in the ToS (outside of severe infractions) says that the only punishment is account termination, but plenty states that it is at THEIR DISCRETION not ours.

The constant bickering of those who feel an “Iron Fist” approach is needed for every case is unacceptable and not even in their right to expect or demand, and for good reason as unintentional mistakes by an entity that means well do in fact happen.

The attitude here sets a toxic stage for those who really did/do have issues where they were/are caught up by the detection system and never did anything wrong.

Over the years I have seen where many of them were also chewed alive by same minded people as in this thread, and in quite a few the players affected as an unrelated group were all cleared as it was not their fault. In fact in one instance it was a mistake in coding for a jumping puzzle that was causing players to be flagged wrongly.

Posting alone does not equal incrimination. So those here that want to continue with the guilty at all costs mindset need to stop.

Seriously though ArenaNet has allowed this to go on way to long. Its toxic and needs to be ended.

Posted by: deltaconnected.4859

deltaconnected.4859

So, yeah! I really like this last one, because how does it look to continue to break rules that one agrees to, while trying to push so hard on how a reinstatement doesn’t send the right message to those who break the rules. Kind of a double standard huh?

I post about the obvious flaws knowing that a mod can dish out infractions if they feel like, and I can guarantee I won’t be contesting it here or sobbing on reddit either. Sharing accounts (and expecting nothing to happen) because you don’t see some of the deeper reasons why it’s in place are quite different from a double standard.

A single account can only be played once at a time so it matters not at all who’s playing it at any point in time IMO.

Frankly I’ve always viewed the ban on sharing by treadtional sub-based MMOs as nothing more than corporate greed!

Someone uses hacks on 3 alt/f2p/dummy accounts. 1 gets banned 2 do not. By your reasoning they are three different people. Same someone continues to use said undetected hacks on his main because they are, for the time at least, undetected.

Sure, the debate about why account sharing is bad and a lot more severe than trolling on the forums, and the debate about how other account owners might not know that to even have a chance of appeal they have to sob on reddit after their forum access is revoked, may be against the forum code of conduct, but the reason it’s drawn on this long is the inconsistency that’s taking the worst of both worlds. If every ban should be manually appealed, that defeats the purpose of automatic ban waves. Likewise giving special treatment to only a subset of the automatically banned accounts will give a really “toxic” and disheartening feeling to those that don’t get it.

Posted by: Nandafowfa.4295

Nandafowfa.4295

I just got a mail in game saying that my account will be shut down or limited within 72 hours due to currency transitions or abnormal login. And i recieve a link that i can go to remove the restrictions. It says that this message was not sent by the gw2 team but for a player called En Borelex.
Im kind of scary because i dont know if its true and safe to enter the link and i dont know what i did to get it. I dont receive anything in my e-mail, just that message in game.

(edited by Nandafowfa.4295)

Michael Fejervary.8576

Any mail sent by a non-employee will stat that it was not sent by the gw2 team and the players name. Its fake. Use the report button (little ! in triangle I believe) on that mail and do not go to the site as it is a phishing scam.

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

nice the racist thing , you just asking Anet to not unban anyone. The support for when banned could be better, the innocent have no way to prove it atm, unless they can express their unbelief at other forums. But allot are banned for good reasons if they get their account back it’s a gesture from Anet not racisme.
That said, i’m a bit worried, i bought 4 accounts, 1 for me, 1 for a friend , 1 for my daughter and 1 for my son. In the week, i’m not at home playing from a different ip. In the weekend 3 of those accounts play from the same ip address, sometimes from the same pc, as if they can, they use mine because it’s faster. My children are playing in other guilds then me and really, i don’t check what they doing, that would be weird for me. So if one of them share an account with one who is using a hack , i would be auto banned. This is going to far for me.

Bloodstealer.5978

So you don’t see Account sharing as a much more serious violation, one that warrants only a few days time out in the naughty corner along with players that have maybe abused the LFG policy or spammed chat .. cmon lets not silly..

For instance, in WOW you pay for 24 hour access and if you use 24 hour access Blizzard has nothing to gripe about, so they have nothing to gripe about if two people share it ONE AT A TIME: same goes for Trion, Square Enix, Turbine, Sony, etc. etc. etc.

With B2P and F2P games the devs’ bleats about sharing have even less credibility than that to me.

Gees.. are you for real.

What difference does playing the account 1 at a time make.. once the account info is shared anything can happen on either account.. as was the case with Tyu.. that’s how ANET detected those 9 accounts because someone who has access to his account was being “less honest” with their gaming habits and in doing so affected others in the process …. but the account share was the root of the issue… he got lucky with lenience that’s all.

So like I said, if its ok for one to do it and plead, whine, bleat and beg for forgiveness then the same should be granted to anyone else found to have account shared.. in fact just remove it from the ToS completely and lighten the work load.

Bloodstealer.5978

As posted in my post above (which also shows how we are agreeing to ToS based on our own use not anyone else’s) and according to the Forum Code of Conduct

So no the issue/s are not up for debate amongst ourselves and in itself is a punishable breakage to the rules that were accepted by users when using the forums and/or in game chat, etc. So each person that has went on in this thread (with more than just a simple statement of displeasure) about how the reinstatements are the wrong choice should then also have the proper rule enforcement placed upon them. Right?

I mean fair is fair. If one is to have the attitude that something regardless of severity is a violation then they should also face a punishment, because you know rules can’t be allowed to be broke under any circumstance.

The problem here is that some have taken to the extreme about things in this thread and leave a very toxic impression and stain on others in the community.

It isn’t really that hard to understand how/why they may determine different outcomes. Whether we agree with them or not.

It can be as simple as Player A was dumb enough to think that he was going to lie and hide what would be found in logs, etc upon deeper investigation where as Player B owned up in full up front for what actually happened and upon that deeper investigation they could see that while yes he may have shared that account the stuff that was done wrong was from an IP states away from his locale.

Seeing as how he had already suffered an extended ban they may have felt that the sharing which was broke on his part was a minor infraction that my have just warranted a temp suspension for a first time offense. In the end time was served.

Nothing in the ToS (outside of severe infractions) says that the only punishment is account termination, but plenty states that it is at THEIR DISCRETION not ours.

The constant bickering of those who feel an “Iron Fist” approach is needed for every case is unacceptable and not even in their right to expect or demand, and for good reason as unintentional mistakes by an entity that means well do in fact happen.

The attitude here sets a toxic stage for those who really did/do have issues where they were/are caught up by the detection system and never did anything wrong.

Over the years I have seen where many of them were also chewed alive by same minded people as in this thread, and in quite a few the players affected as an unrelated group were all cleared as it was not their fault. In fact in one instance it was a mistake in coding for a jumping puzzle that was causing players to be flagged wrongly.

Posting alone does not equal incrimination. So those here that want to continue with the guilty at all costs mindset need to stop.

Seriously though ArenaNet has allowed this to go on way to long. Its toxic and needs to be ended.

ANET posted this thread and in doing opened it up for discussion… if they didn’t want it discussed they had no need to post about it… no one is forcing you to read it or make comment in it so you can so either ignore the thread or deal with it.
Its actually a pretty interesting thread and shows how serious ANET have been / are being in policing their own ToS.. make of it what you wish – I have my opinions others have theirs… that how it works, you don’t have to agree or disagree and you don’t have to like or dislike what you read… such is life.

Posted by: RedZebra.2345

RedZebra.2345

@bloodstealer next time y refer to a big post just give the link and did you read what i’ve written, this is just one case, all is not black white

(edited by RedZebra.2345)