Black Screen with cursor and music

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ziggamasta.3824

Ziggamasta.3824

Hi there, I cannot play GW2 for more than 5-40 minutes at a time because i have a frequent bug where the screen goes black with only the cursor and music remaining. This does not happen at any particular point or during any specific action just randomly every 5-40 minutes. I have a high spec system and can confirm it is not an overheating issue. My Guild Wars 2 folder is located in D drive (my storage and games drive) and my OS runs off a small SSD. I have researched this issue reading many forum posts which suggest turning off SPI firewalls in my router configuration, this did not help. I have run the repair shortcut to no avail and also tried running the game in windowed mode. I have tried down scaling my resolution and even deleted and reinstalled the .dat file. I hope that you can help me to fix this issue as it is very frustrating.

Thank you for your time.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Ziggamasta.3824

Can you suggest a solution? I’m a bit out of my depth here :P

Beldin.5498

Look for your temperatures .. if overclocked revert to normal.
If ATI GPU install newest drivers .. if NVidia try maybe older drivers.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

Posted by: Charlotte.8924

Charlotte.8924

I’ve experienced the same thing, it started yesterday or late wednesday I can’t remember. Before that I never had such problem, especially not so often (black screen after login 3-30mins or on changing char). 4 of us playing in my house and all of us has the same problem.. We’ve searched the net for solution and pretty much nothing helped (drivers, router, windowed mode, different ports, repair, etc etc), except reinstalling the game tho I doubt it would help since it started to affect everyone of us… But will try to make sure. Any other ideas which might help? Its pretty frustrating cuz this is the only time we can play together and we never had problem before (all of us has different pcs/laptop/netbook)

Ziggamasta.3824

it’s not an overheating issue and the nvidia drivers are all up to date.

Ziggamasta.3824

I’ve experienced the same thing, it started yesterday or late wednesday I can’t remember. Before that I never had such problem, especially not so often (black screen after login 3-30mins or on changing char). 4 of us playing in my house and all of us has the same problem.. We’ve searched the net for solution and pretty much nothing helped (drivers, router, windowed mode, different ports, repair, etc etc), except reinstalling the game tho I doubt it would help since it started to affect everyone of us… But will try to make sure. Any other ideas which might help? Its pretty frustrating cuz this is the only time we can play together and we never had problem before (all of us has different pcs/laptop/netbook)

Try disabling SPI firewall in your router configuration software, ive heard that this can fix the issue although it has not worked for me.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

There was / is another thread (older) about this, but Anet never responded. No, it’s not heat or graphic driver (though it seems that mainly players with Nvidia Gforce are experiencing this). It has something to do with windows updates and hidden frames. What helps for me is to start the game in a window by adding [space] -windowed to the startup icon. Yet, once I play in a full sized window (so just like there is no window at all), than the problem occurs again frequently. Mind that even playing -windowed does not solve this completely, but for me it changed from once every 2 games to once in a week. Hope this helps.

Beldin.5498

it’s not an overheating issue and the nvidia drivers are all up to date.

I said : if NVidia, try OLDER drivers.

Just a little collection :
———————————————————————————————————————————
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/GW2-crashes-my-comp/first#post5032771

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Game-crash-after-2-min-causing-system-freeze/first#post5092900

try rolling back to this driver
337.88-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql

Note: I am not tech support, so do so at your own risk, but I can’t really see a risk it’s simply an earlier driver.

However, it has worked for me so far. Also, turn off auto-updates in Geforce Experience.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/GW2-Makes-my-PC-freeze-Need-to-restart/first#post5090363

if your using any driver higher than 285.79 the 560 is unstable usually related to desktop/firefox

has never been fixed and never will be issues start in the 314.22 drivers you may need to do a reformat if reverting does not help(ie you must have a clean install of the driver)

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Game-Crashing-5680x1080/first#post5016595

The two latest drivers from NVIDIA are rushed and very buggy, apparently they wanted to optimize for GTA. GW2 is not the only game that has issues with those drivers.
Don’t use 350.12 and 347.88, revert to 347.52 (clean install).

Ziggamasta.3824

It doesn’t seem to be a driver issue as it is also happening on my laptop running an AMD gpu. Therefore it must be a network issue… (unless both video drivers are bad?)

Posted by: Charlotte.8924

Charlotte.8924

thanks for the suggestions, we have solved the problem (at least it looks like since yesterday). it was horrible, after 1-2 min we immediately got the black screen. my boyfriend and brother played with the router, and it looks like it was running bad (sorry im not expert ), so they went to buy a new one, and it looks fine now with this, not getting any errors (I used to get connection errors all the time). now I have problems sometimes with the ping, but it’s a different story. so Ziggamasta maybe you could try this as well? It might help you.