Can we please get a working Mac Client [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

When I got my new MacBook pro about 1 year ago I was happy that my framerate went from 25-30 to 45+ at minimum settings.

Now it’s back down at 15-20 even at minimum settings. I just don’t get it. There is nothing I can turn down, and I have a i7 with 16 gigs of ram and 1.5 gb of video memory. Of course the video card isn’t good, but I was getting double the fps I am currently getting.

Posted by: Inazuma.6107

Inazuma.6107

For this reason, I wouldn’t be too surprised if the native OS X client never gets released, simply because ArenaNet might find themselves unable to meet people’s expectations. Obviously I hope that doesn’t happen – I’d be over the moon to have a native OS X client but I wouldn’t rule out that happening. On the other hand, a native OS X client (and one that’s running off the same codebase as the Windows one) would still be better than anything TransGaming can offer.

It’s not about performance that they are fixing with the native client, it’s the crashes. Of course the performance will benefit quite a bit from it, but not by a huge amount (my wild guess would be around 10-20% fps, which still is nice).

To really then game properly one has to install nVidia web drivers: they use the same driver binary blob used on windows/linux but on OS X. Sadly I have an old 680MX – and the webdrivers support only cards in the 7xx series and above.

Posted by: HippieJoel.9537

HippieJoel.9537

It’s not about performance that they are fixing with the native client, it’s the crashes. Of course the performance will benefit quite a bit from it, but not by a huge amount (my wild guess would be around 10-20% fps, which still is nice).

To really then game properly one has to install nVidia web drivers: they use the same driver binary blob used on windows/linux but on OS X. Sadly I have an old 680MX – and the webdrivers support only cards in the 7xx series and above.

Fair point – I definitely think some stability wouldn’t go unmissed plus there definitely will be performance improvements, just I’m concerned it’ll be less than people are expecting.

I’m using the Nvidia web drivers for my GTX 970 and performance is still far below Windows, even with natively ported games. To give one example, Minecraft manages anywhere between 60 and 180fps on OS X compared to 300-400fps on Windows.

I seem to remember reading a while ago that the OS X Nvidia drivers aren’t particularly well optimised though which I could believe – performance on my MacBook Pro (GT 750m) is much more comparable to what it manages on Windows, which makes me think the Nvidia drivers (and their support for 9XX series GPUs) may be at fault.

Fingers crossed this gets fixed at some point – right now the Hackintosh community seem to be largely waiting to see if / when Nvidia will release drivers for the GTX 1080.

Xillllix.3485

It sure would be nice to have actual support for Mac, specially 4 years after the release.

Blizzards games have mac ports that work flawlessly, maybe you could ask them to help you or study their methods.

HippieJoel.9537

It sure would be nice to have actual support for Mac, specially 4 years after the release.

Blizzards games have mac ports that work flawlessly, maybe you could ask them to help you or study their methods.

To be honest I don’t think the problem is that ArenaNet don’t know how to port their game to OS X – in fact I’m pretty sure they know how. Rather, the issue is one of time and budgetary constraints.

Like it or not, wrapping the game with Wine works reasonably well and allows them to ship a Mac client without much effort. Developing a native Mac client on the other hand requires you to actually invest time, effort and money into developing it and to testing it.

Whilst Blizzard are certainly more experienced in making Mac games, I don’t think their expertise would really be relevant since what they know is relevant to their games and the engine they’ve developed. That and to be honest I don’t think Blizzard’s Mac ports are as good as people like to believe. Performance on WoW for example on OS X is nowhere near as good as what you get on the Windows version.

Posted by: Fenrir.6183

Fenrir.6183

Getting the same problem on a mac. Launch the game, don’t see the launcher.
It used to work fine until today (we just bought HoT so i’m guessing it’s an issue with it…or the latest patch…i dunno).

Xillllix.3485

Getting the same problem on a mac. Launch the game, don’t see the launcher.
It used to work fine until today (we just bought HoT so i’m guessing it’s an issue with it…or the latest patch…i dunno).

Force-quit the process a few times in the Activity monitor, usually it launches after a while.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That’s because Blizzard supported Macs going back to the earliest days of the first Warcraft RTS. It’s a lot easier when you’ve always had devs specializing in the nuances of other platforms so in the design phase the game engine is as platform neutral as possible.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Update on the recent AMA on reddit:

“Currently we can patch, run around in several maps, we don’t fall through the floor anymore. It is progressing and we will let you guys know when we’re ready to go into beta.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4uqx15/out_of_the_shadows_devs_here_ask_us_anything/d5s1mvv

So – yay!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Supercluster.7159

Supercluster.7159

That sounds Great! Thanks for the update.

Inazuma.6107

That’s amazing news. It looks like the hardest part of the work is done – so it’s not anymore a matter of if we will get a native client, but a matter of when.

Posted by: WesleySnipes.3917

WesleySnipes.3917

after a long wait i was able to trade my mbp for a desktop pc that runs gw2 and other games. i have to say that even though i can play gw2 now. its not the same. the customer service impression will linger

Posted by: Regev.6971

Regev.6971

I’m buying a 5k iMac soon. Is the mac client finally out of beta? Does the game work properly on higher-end iMacs?

(Hopefully it’s going to have the Polaris graphics.)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not out of beta yet. The Devs have made some progress, though.

Good luck.

Regev.6971

What progress, may I ask?

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

“Currently we can patch, run around in several maps, we don’t fall through the floor anymore. It is progressing and we will let you guys know when we’re ready to go into beta.”

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4uqx15/out_of_the_shadows_devs_here_ask_us_anything/d5s6rup?context=1000

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Regev.6971

Is this a joke?

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

No.
To clarify there never was a real native mac client.
The current client for mac is basically the windows client using the third-party wrapper cider to run on mac.
After the responsible company for cider was bought by NVIDIA they shifted their work to other things.

I think only then Anet started to work on a real native mac client.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Regev.6971

Oh, I see. How long have they been working on a native client, and any idea at what time range it’s going to replace the current one?

Behellagh.1468

Under a year I think, first word came during the AMA back in January I think.

RIP City of Heroes

Regev.6971

Nice. You got a link where they talk about it?

Behellagh.1468

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Xillllix.3485

Would be nice to know what will be the performance increase.

Posted by: ArchieNorris.9674

ArchieNorris.9674

The Mac version of GW2 has been in beta for three years, I constantly get crashes, it’s ridiculous that it’s taking this long, can you please get this fixed

(edited by ArchieNorris.9674)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

They are working on a real mac version (the ‘beta’ is an unsupported wrapper). We got an update here from the devs recently, basically some basic things are working to show it is making progress but other pretty critical things are not. I am guessing it is a pre-alpha so nowhere near ready for even internal testing yet.

Posted by: droogje.6053

droogje.6053

I have also the mac version and have no problem at all with the game and I can run it for most on high settings and only at places with a lot of crowd it’s getting laggy (and no, I am not using bootcamp). Not that this will solve ArchieNorries’s problem. But I think it also depends which OS you use and how old your mac system is. Just like the pc, if your system is old (older windows / hardware for example) and trying to run a game that asks a lot of your system, there is great change it will crash too. What I am trying to say is: Maybe it’s not only the mac client, it’s a massive game. Maybe your mac is just not powerful enough to deal with the game?

Menadena.7482

No, it is not your system, unless it is REALLY old (like maybe a decade old). The bottleneck is usually the wrapper that is used, it is only 32 bit so can not handle crowded locations like big metaevents. My 2013 mac crashes on minimum settings at some events.

Posted by: droogje.6053

droogje.6053

Ok, thank you for explaining it. Still weird that I don’t have crash issues… lucky maybe?

Posted by: Lews.8146

Lews.8146

Any news on when the mac client is going into public beta? I’m starting to get anxious waiting, super excited thinking about having a native client that lets me play at anything better than “Best Performance”. Any information you guys have for us would be awesome, keep us in the loop.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I"ll be honest, most of our focus when it comes to the Mac is on the new Mac client, which is coming along! I will give this a try and write up a bug, but I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up for a timely fix, the timely fix may just be when the new client is finished.

If nothing else I will make sure this works in the new client, I get to start testing it soon™.

Taken from the thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/MAC-Client-Unable-to-access-GemStore

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Xillllix.3485

Any news on when the mac client is going into public beta? I’m starting to get anxious waiting, super excited thinking about having a native client that lets me play at anything better than “Best Performance”. Any information you guys have for us would be awesome, keep us in the loop.

When the game was first released the mac client would work for me at over 30 fps on an older computer in 1440p with most of the settings high besides shadows.

Today I barely get over 20 fps with everything set to low in 1080p on a way better computer. Since 2014 the Mac version has suffered from systematic performance decrease that are somehow tied to the UI code and HoT.

Posted by: Asumir.1978

Asumir.1978

Mac beta client actually is now worse than year ago or even 2 year ago. Use to work not to bad. After some patches back in last year it get even worse. I use to have 30-40 FPS medium setting no problem. Then some month ago big loss in FPS even on lowest setting and many graphic error and more crash than ever. Now Nvidia own company TransGaming that make cider wrap and who know what will happen if any thing.

I now use bootcamp windows and it is like new game it work so much better.

The loading times of each map inside Tyria, WvW and PvP have gotten at least 30% slower since HoT. Haven’t Mac users been included in the update?

Thaír ar Nádal aï Narvèduí – Zían athâ éhû Tharnadaï
From Shadow unto Light is born the Narvedui
While softly walks the Tharnadai

Asumir.1978

Please!
Nothing is wrong with my machine or internet connection.
After your so-called update then so-called rollback, I have been unable to access the game.
Please give me back what I have paid for.
Please give me back what you have worked for: a beautiful experience.

Xillllix.3485

Mac beta client actually is now worse than year ago or even 2 year ago. Use to work not to bad. After some patches back in last year it get even worse. I use to have 30-40 FPS medium setting no problem. Then some month ago big loss in FPS even on lowest setting and many graphic error and more crash than ever. Now Nvidia own company TransGaming that make cider wrap and who know what will happen if any thing.

I now use bootcamp windows and it is like new game it work so much better.

The loading times of each map inside Tyria, WvW and PvP have gotten at least 30% slower since HoT. Haven’t Mac users been included in the update?

Since they started on a native client they probably stopped supporting the beta client.
I also have an SSD and the loading times are extremely long.

HippieJoel.9537

Since they started on a native client they probably stopped supporting the beta client.

Well that and TransGaming are no longer a thing so uh yeah, no chance of updates to the ‘beta’ client.

Menadena.7482

Ok, thank you for explaining it. Still weird that I don’t have crash issues… lucky maybe?

It depends what you do in the game. General PVE in central Tyria? I am probably getting 60 fps because I keep every graphics setting at the minimum. An organized boss fight in Tangled Depths that is going great? I will most likely crash.

Asumir.1978

Well that and TransGaming are no longer a thing so uh yeah, no chance of updates to the ‘beta’ client.

What is TransGaming, please?

Asumir.1978

It depends what you do in the game. General PVE in central Tyria? I am probably getting 60 fps because I keep every graphics setting at the minimum. An organized boss fight in Tangled Depths that is going great? I will most likely crash.

I keep graphics to a minimum. I actually like the painted-in effect of textures on the Mac as compared to the shining leather engravings I see (also nice) on my friend’s PC.

All I ask is that Anet fix the MAC CLIENT as they have FIXED the PC CLIENT after their bungling-up of the latest update.

I don’t mind them bungling. I just want in.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

What is TransGaming, please?

Transgaming is the company that made the port for the Mac client. Awhile back they were acquired by Nvidia.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Asumir.1978

I sincerely hope the 20-some-thousand views on this ‘archive’ thread is not a pretext for our requests to be ignored.

If I cannot log back into the game by the end of next week, I want my money back.

Asumir.1978

^^ Transgaming is the company that made the port for the Mac client. Awhile back they were acquired by Nvidia.

I hate it when clever Jacks are eaten by fearful giants.

Asumir.1978

It’s not the Mac client that needs a fix. It’s the internal coding of the game by Anet whose connection to our systems they didn’t bother checking that needs a fix.

How else can anyone who doesn’t even know the ‘c’ of Coding (pun unintended) explain how a ‘door’ that used to work fine no longer has access to a realm, after that realm changes internally? The ‘door’ was fine.
The inconsiderate mason who did a slapdash job of not fitting a proper ‘lintel’ on the interior of the ‘door’ is at fault.

The problem is at the point my computer and the client communicate.
Considering the Mac client hasn’t been changed, then applying the rollback to all character inventories made the modified game software appear FAULTY to my client.

(edited by Asumir.1978)

Posted by: zombieporno.3920

zombieporno.3920

I have been trying to log in for two days now, but my client won’t appear. I have updated everything on my mac, and still, no client. It’s driving me nuts.

Asumir.1978

I have been trying to log in for two days now, but my client won’t appear. I have updated everything on my mac, and still, no client. It’s driving me nuts.

In the same boat. Am terrified I will lose Tyria.

Asumir.1978

Oh, I see. How long have they been working on a native client, and any idea at what time range it’s going to replace the current one?

Four Years! Happy Anniversary!

HippieJoel.9537

I feel like it’s worth mentioning that the latest 64-bit Wine staging build does in fact work with the 64-bit Guild Wars 2 client, which should reduce the likelihood of crashes considerably.

Posted by: EchoPadder.7546

EchoPadder.7546

the latest 64-bit Wine staging build does in fact work with the 64-bit Guild Wars 2 client

Thats true, im currently running that, but performance still is not great.

I compiled a list on dev responses about the native client on reddit: https://redd.it/5067f9

Inazuma.6107

I did try wine-staging 64-bit too, but it’s way slower than official client even with CSMT enabled. I’ll keep playing on the official client until native one is finished.

Did you do any other tuning aside from enabling CSMT?

Posted by: RavBunneh.6854

RavBunneh.6854

I’ve been playing the Windows 64 bit client on my late 2013 macbook pro. Pretty stable. Compared to the mac client it is solid as a rock. The only downer is needing to waste time booting in to Windows 10.
Once there is a native mac client I should have a Delete The Partition party.