HoT Price Feedback + Base game included [merged]

in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Sorry OP, I do not agree with you. But I will say this, once all the content stops in the build up to the next expansion, then and only then will we know if HoT is worth the money. I’ve not played HoT all that much. Got 2 characters through the story and I’m on my 3rd. The map mesas are too long for me to enjoy them, as I don’t want to spend most of my play time on one map. I could go on why I don’t like HoT, but safe to say my view of HoT is that it’s a DLC season pass. Only time will tell if it was worth the cost. If I just look at what we got at launch, for me personally, it was not worth the price.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

I don’t measure my pleasure in “x years playing for free.” I agree that no subs are a great thing and the main reason why GW2 is attractive for me. But I have also no problem with paying subs, should I find more entertainment or bother looking for one in a subscription-MMO. Not everything is good just because it’s free. Let’s say I get burnt-out/tired of MMOs (again), then nothing is different. I quit GW2 and be done for time time being, or cancel my subs in subs-MMO and do the same. If I got my share of fun out of both games equally well, I don’t care if I had to pay subs or not.

And yeah, I don’t buy expansions (or gems) with the main reason to support a company. I buy it because I’m interested in the product or in-game item.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

Also, I find it highly unlikely it’ll take 3 years for the next expansion.

This is the only time ill ever agree with you, it wont take 3 years, because they wont have any players left in 3 years, if the game remains in its current state,

Also why is the price point still an issue, HoT has been out for what 4 months now, im pretty sure those who said they wouldn’t buy it have moved on, and everyone else is still playing.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Also, I find it highly unlikely it’ll take 3 years for the next expansion.

This is the only time ill ever agree with you, it wont take 3 years, because they wont have any players left in 3 years, if the game remains in its current state,

Also why is the price point still an issue, HoT has been out for what 4 months now, im pretty sure those who said they wouldn’t buy it have moved on, and everyone else is still playing.

First of all, even if the game were to remain in its current state, it would have plenty of players in three years. People always bang on about dead games and dying games. I think you need to play a dying game before making a comment like this. I played Vanguard and near the end, it was a ghost town. Some would start playing the game and there’d be a little dance party because a new player started playing. We get multiple posts from people starting and coming back every single day. The situation isn’t as dire as you make it out to be, and frankly I don’t think it’s dire at all. I’m not saying some people aren’t down on the game, because obviously some people are, but the same was true when ascended gear was released, it was even worse than this in fact, and we’re still here. I think there are probably more people playing now than there were after the first few months . Feel free to disagree, but I’m pretty sure this is the case.

As for buying it or not, some people who said they wouldnt’ buy it ahve moved on and some people who said they weren’t going to buy it have bought it. And some people haven’t bought it yet, and may yet buy it.

I think one big question is the WvW upgrade that’s coming and how that affects that crowd. PvP doesn’t seem less busy that it was a year ago, and PvE seems okay too, in spite of the forum complaints.

Like I said, in six months, we’ll have a much better idea of the health of this game.

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

If this game doesn’t change, ( Expansions or massive updates) the only people playing it in 3 years would be the ultra hardcore who cannot admit there game is done, the game at the moment is far from dead, but its suffering badly, the only people who cant/don’t want to admit that are the ones who will still be there in 3 years wondering where everyone is,

There could be 1000 posts a day from people saying they are coming back, but there are also 1000 people leaving who don’t post, and as its already been touted several times over the years that the forums does not give an accurate reflection on the community numbers its hard to tell, Anet would not post if they are losing more than they are gaining, that would be crazy,

You don’t think its dire because apparently you are in 1 of the only guilds in the entire game that has 100% active players who love to log in, and you never seem to lose anyone, or notice anyone leaving, and everytime someone mentions that they have seen friends leave the game, and guilds fall apart and players quit, there you are shouting how your guild is super active and the player must need a new guild.

The only reason it seems more busy now is because of mega server, if you where to revert that change today, you would see a true result of the declining numbers,

The point about buying it is still moot, its been discussed to death before hot came out, I bought HoT, as did my friends, I enjoyed it for the most part, ( even though I still have finished the story due to the glitches in story 4 MONTHS after launch ) but the new maps do not have replay ability, unless you are pushing for multiple legendary’s then you are forced to play it,

As someone who played a lot of WvW, on both NA and EU servers, I can tell you its a dead format, if you cannot get into EB you might aswell not bother, they have well and truly hammered that nail into that coffin and buried it twice over, there stubbornness with pushing ahead with what they wanted and not listening to what the community needed, finished that format off, I spent an hour in the BL 2 days ago and never seen a single other play, be it from my team or an enemy team.

I cannot comment on PvP as I don’t enjoy the bunkerwars format of the gametype.

We are on very opposite sides of this community, im on the side of ive played GW1 since launch and GW2 since beta launch, and have watched the game slowly decline, and watching it slowly die off, You are from the side that can see no wrong and love everything about the game, and feel that everyone who doesn’t see it the same way as you is wrong.

PS: FYI, ive played plenty of dying to dead games in my past, your not the only gamer on these forums.

(edited by Ok I Did It.2854)

Vayne.8563

If this game doesn’t change, ( Expansions or massive updates) the only people playing it in 3 years would be the ultra hardcore who cannot admit there game is done, the game at the moment is far from dead, but its suffering badly, the only people who cant/don’t want to admit that are the ones who will still be there in 3 years wondering where everyone is,

There could be 1000 posts a day from people saying they are coming back, but there are also 1000 people leaving who don’t post, and as its already been touted several times over the years that the forums does not give an accurate reflection on the community numbers its hard to tell, Anet would not post if they are losing more than they are gaining, that would be crazy,

You don’t think its dire because apparently you are in 1 of the only guilds in the entire game that has 100% active players who love to log in, and you never seem to lose anyone, or notice anyone leaving, and everytime someone mentions that they have seen friends leave the game, and guilds fall apart and players quit, there you are shouting how your guild is super active and the player must need a new guild.

The only reason it seems more busy now is because of mega server, if you where to revert that change today, you would see a true result of the declining numbers,

The point about buying it is still mute, its been discussed to death before hot came out, I bought HoT, as did my friends, I enjoyed it for the most part, ( even though I still have finished the story due to the glitches in story 4 MONTHS after launch ) but the new maps do not have replay ability, unless you are pushing for multiple legendary’s then you are forced to play it,

As someone who played a lot of WvW, on both NA and EU servers, I can tell you its a dead format, if you cannot get into EB you might aswell not bother, they have well and truly hammered that nail into that coffin and buried it twice over, there stubbornness with pushing ahead with what they wanted and not listening to what the community needed, finished that format off, I spent an hour in the BL 2 days ago and never seen a single other play, be it from my team or an enemy team.

We are on very opposite sides of this community, im on the side of ive played GW1 since launch and GW2 since beta launch, and have watched the game slowly decline, and watching it slowly die off, You are from the side that can see no wrong and love everything about the game, and feel that everyone who doesn’t see it the same way as you is wrong.

PS: FYI, ive played plenty of dying to dead games in my past, your not the only gamer on these forums.

Yep there may be a thousand people a day leaving and a thousand people a day starting and coming back. Saying something is going badly doesn’t mean it’s going badly. The only evidence right now is hearsay.

In six months we’ll have a better idea. Right now, your opinion is just that. Your opinion. It’s not fact. You’re not going to convince me of it. I strongly suspect it’s not as bad as most make it out to be, but in six months we’ll know.

Saying it’s bad now over and over remains just your opinion.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The point about buying it is still mute, its been discussed to death before hot came out, I bought HoT, as did my friends, I enjoyed it for the most part, ( even though I still have finished the story due to the glitches in story 4 MONTHS after launch ) but the new maps do not have replay ability, unless you are pushing for multiple legendary’s then you are forced to play it,

Yep there may be a thousand people a day leaving and a thousand people a day starting and coming back. Saying something is going badly doesn’t mean it’s going badly. The only evidence right now is hearsay.

In six months we’ll have a better idea. Right now, your opinion is just that. Your opinion. It’s not fact. You’re not going to convince me of it. I strongly suspect it’s not as bad as most make it out to be, but in six months we’ll know.

People say this all the time with games, this game is in trouble because in there opinion it is. I’m not arguing one way or another, but the only people who truly know are the people at ANet. If the game was in big trouble I’m sure we would see the real signs. Maps being empty, the gem store getting updated alot with more times returning to generate as much income as possible.

Seeing as these things are not happening we can guess the game is not in too much trouble if any at this point in time.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Vayne.8563

People say this all the time with games, this game is in trouble because in there opinion it is. I’m not arguing one way or another, but the only people who truly know are the people at ANet. If the game was in big trouble I’m sure we would see the real signs. Maps being empty, the gem store getting updated alot with more times returning to generate as much income as possible.

Seeing as these things are not happening we can guess the game is not in too much trouble if any at this point in time.

I really hope this fix that they’re talking about is something that can bring a middle ground between casual players and harder core players. I guess we’ll have to see.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

I know that there has been tons of posts like this, so sorry if you already go tired of these.

Hi there,

I’ve got a bit mad about the price of the expansion. I already bought this game, so why would I need to pay the full price again? I’m a student so I don’t have 50€ to spend on some expansion. Some peeps from my new school plays GW2 too, and I would love to play with them so I could get to know them, but they got the expansion and I don’t.
It wouldn’t be that big of a deal if I could refund my game and then re-buy with the expansion, but there is a 30 day limit, so yeah.

Is there some kind of discount if I already bought the game before the expansion?
Cheers in advantage.

Since you say you know there have been “tons of posts” about this why did you bother with another one .. and also you clearly know the answer from reading all those “tons of posts” so this is just a troll, right?

Posted by: MarTn.3810

MarTn.3810

It’s different for a lot of people. Here the price of the little content that HoT had to offer corresponds to a brand new game. I say it again, instead of purchasing HoT, you’d get a brand new game for the same amount of money or less where I live. Nobody in their right mind would buy HoT here if they knew how little you’d get for your money.

A lot of people I know are rather disappointed with Heart of Thorns due to the fact that the expansion is very short, and you only get a few simple zones to play with. From an objective standpoint you’re getting very little for your money, and I think that a lot of people expected more from ArenaNet.

Vayne.8563

It’s different for a lot of people. Here the price of the little content that HoT had to offer corresponds to a brand new game. I say it again, instead of purchasing HoT, you’d get a brand new game for the same amount of money or less where I live. Nobody in their right mind would buy HoT here if they knew how little you’d get for your money.

A lot of people I know are rather disappointed with Heart of Thorns due to the fact that the expansion is very short, and you only get a few simple zones to play with. From an objective standpoint you’re getting very little for your money, and I think that a lot of people expected more from ArenaNet.

And yet many people are enjoying it and said they feel it’s worth it, so are you saying no one that says that is in their right mind? There are two hundred people in my guild and I haven’t run into anyone that thought it wasn’t worth it.

Posted by: MarTn.3810

MarTn.3810

And yet many people are enjoying it and said they feel it’s worth it, so are you saying no one that says that is in their right mind? There are two hundred people in my guild and I haven’t run into anyone that thought it wasn’t worth it.

I’m not saying that it’s not enjoyable, cause’ there’s definitely a few enjoyable elements in HoT. What I am saying however, is that for many the “fun” you get for your money isn’t much to brag about. Most of us pre-purchased the expansion, and would never have done so if we knew that the amount of new content was minimal, and that you’d spend most of your time repeating activities of the same few zones. And I do understand if some people like that, but compared to how much the expansion costs here that’s for a lot of people not worth their money, and those I’ve talked to generally agree; the expansion is not terrible, but the value definitely is.

I do get it, there are many out there who enjoy the game and/or isn’t very value-oriented in terms of the content they spend their money on, and I guess that’s fine. But that doesn’t mean that the value-to-content ratio is great, and there are quite a few out there that agrees with the thought that HoT introduces surprisingly little new content to enjoy for those who doesn’t consider an eternal grindfest new content.

And I’m not bashing the grinding content either, I just don’t consider it worthy of mentioning when we’re talking about the value of the expansion.

Posted by: Chazz.6709

Chazz.6709

Thats is your statement , but the reason why peoples are complaining is simple.

Think about how much you paid for gw2 just the game itself ! I bought it for 10 € and the content was a lot and awesome.I felt me free to do anything i would like to do.Want to do Sw ? Do Sw! Like to do dungeons ? Do dungeons! Want to hunt down world bosses ? Do it ! Some of them was epic and awesome!Want to do map exploration or crafting ? Do it ! There was so much you could do and a lot of stuff ,which gave you a lot of money over time.For me it was a lot of variation.

Now with hot i was expecting maybe the same amount of content like gw2 or atleast the half of it , because its an expansion with stuff that give me aswell lots of freedom,but with hot they killed dungeons and made fractals a boring joke for me.Also all those new events are so frustating if you lack enough ppls or if the com or someone else didnt paid attention like ds.For me its like the TT i dislike the TT and DS is tricky as that aswell.Also pod run is hell without stealth , because modrem devil rollers and smokescales.Too many on a small spot , but the other spots are terrible aswell so overfilled with enemies ,while on sw for cf you could run around and enjoy in DS pod runs its like survive or die ,which is just frustating.Same for AB or TD how many ppls are not able to manage some stuff there like we are used it from other stuff in tyria aswell , but in hot it all a bit more sensitive.

So i paid 50 € just for the expansion and then ppls get the expansion AND the game for 50 € ,which is frustating and a straight facepunch for many peoples ,who supported them a lot.Well we all know the story.SO that was the first bad thing in hot and then that i feel like the beta was useless . We could made hot so much better , if there wasnt only bwe more like 3 months beta so anet could overwork it completly or making it more better , but nope.

So Hot got more frustating and negative points also compared that the content is less than the half of the original game but for the same price ( i think atleast so idk what was the original price for gw2,when it game out) is something that bother me a lot … And other peoples does it aswell + Hot makes you feel forced and you have to grind a lot and i hate grinding in games and im a casual player.

“All genius said it’s impossible – until someone just did it.”

Vayne.8563

I’m not saying that it’s not enjoyable, cause’ there’s definitely a few enjoyable elements in HoT. What I am saying however, is that for many the “fun” you get for your money isn’t much to brag about. Most of us pre-purchased the expansion, and would never have done so if we knew that the amount of new content was minimal, and that you’d spend most of your time repeating activities of the same few zones. And I do understand if some people like that, but compared to how much the expansion costs here that’s for a lot of people not worth their money, and those I’ve talked to generally agree; the expansion is not terrible, but the value definitely is.

I do get it, there are many out there who enjoy the game and/or isn’t very value-oriented in terms of the content they spend their money on, and I guess that’s fine. But that doesn’t mean that the value-to-content ratio is great, and there are quite a few out there that agrees with the thought that HoT introduces surprisingly little new content to enjoy for those who doesn’t consider an eternal grindfest new content.

And I’m not bashing the grinding content either, I just don’t consider it worthy of mentioning when we’re talking about the value of the expansion.

See this is what I object to. People saying most people this, or most people that. You don’t know what most people think or feel. You may know what most people who post on the forum feel. But most people? You’d just be guessing.

I think there are far more people who think they get value for money than you’d likely believe. There are a lot of reasons for that.

First of all, most people don’t think deeply about this stuff anyway. If you’re a person who takes ages to get through content, and there are plenty of people in this category, you might not have completed HOT yet. I have people in my guild who haven’t.

And then there are people like me. Today, for the first time, I finished a collection for the elite specialization weapon. I made myself an ascended shield for my mesmer. I enjoyed pursuing that goal.

I’ve made a precursor and I enjoyed pursuing that goal. There are people doing collections all over the place that like them. Every time there’s a thread complaining about the cost of precursor crafting, half the thread is people saying they’re okay with it and they’re having fun. That it’s about the journey.

I respect your opinion about the game. I don’t like, however, that you’re claiming some majority, because I don’t think you have that majority. Even with people who don’t like the expansion, the reasons can vary greatly. Some find it too grindy. Some find it too difficult. Those are different complaints completely.

I didn’t particularly find leveling masteries grindy at all. There are people like me too.

But the world is conditioned to spend $50 for a game they spend less than 20 hours with, so therefore, the world is conditioned to think about how much content they’ll get for their $50. I don’t think most people are sitting there counting on this much content for this much money.

In any event, I’m not making posts saying I’m part of some majority. I say what I feel. My gut feeling is 50% of the people actually are enjoying the expansion and you know, it’s not enough. But it’s better than most people who don’t like it are thinking it is.

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

GW2 is basically kitten stock simulator now.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I have played Guild Wars 1, the add-ons and the expansion.

Going by Arena Nets own previous standard the expansion is over priced and light on content.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

You might need to rethink your financial priorities… it’s just a game.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: MrJ.8142

MrJ.8142

HoT is total disappointment for me and my friends.

Map is total confusing. Elite spec is great but that’s it. It’s just add a little more play style. I rather get a more various weapon use than getting an elite spec. (like P/P necro or P/P ele or S/S engineer)

Well, for the price, it’s too expensive in my country, but still affordable. At first me and my 3 other friends were so excited with the expansion. After playing around 2-3 days learning kitten from all the expansion, we all decided to quit. Too much rage and disappointment.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

1st stop with the argument it is the price for a full game. The usual price for full game is 60-70€.

2nd, there are a kittenload of full priced games with very little content. Single player games that last for 5-15 hours. That said a price of 50€ is not much. I already played for about 600h in HOT so I won’t complan.

3rd, people who tell the new maps are confusing hard: get a grip! Learn the area, it takes a couple of hours but it’s not like your all day face roll flat crap map anymore.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Sird.4536

Sird.4536

Would people be happy paying £40 for an expansion that has very little content like HoT every year? I know I wouldn’t. Seeing as how it took them three years to get this out I don’t mind paying £40 every three years.

RP enthusiast

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

One on every forum lol.

Posted by: philipitoyoda.3471

philipitoyoda.3471

bold Hi

I have not been playing Guild Wars 2 since a little more than 6 months ago. I totaly loved the game and me and my friends played it every day after school.

Then we heard of the expansion HoT. We were excited but the dark day came. We learned that we that had already bought the game (long before free to play) whould have to pay again for the core game.

I’m just checking back if there has been a change so that we only will have to pay for the expansion. Is that an option now?

Best Regards from a sad player.
If not changed see you in 6 months!

philipitoyoda.3471

I’m just saying 25 would be a more fair price for the expansion

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

No.
The price would be the same -according to Anet- whether it contained the core game or not.

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

Posted by: Moa Lith.8140

Moa Lith.8140

If you already have the Core game, you are not paying a second time for Core; you are paying to get access to HoT content.

The fact that the Core game is included in HoT is simply a marketing tool to attract potential new players who do not have the game, so that they do not have to pay for the Core game and to pay again for HoT content.

philipitoyoda.3471

Well bye , I got other games to play if they try to take my money, this is just not me but GW2 lost half there player base with this

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Obligatory “Can I have your stuff?” post.

Posted by: Will.6829

Will.6829

Obviously you aren’t willing to pay the asking price for the new content. Fair enough.

I wouldn’t expect it to drop in price until other expansion comes along.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

This happen a lot in other industries especially in the auto industry, one year you by a car and you might have to pay extra for some options you like the next years model come out and those extra option become standard in the new car and new buyers don’t pay the extra price no one complains. Well I’ve seen this happen in othe games so it a common practice that has gone on for years nothing going to change so play and buy the expantion or don’t it’s your choice

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Well bye , I got other games to play if they try to take my money, this is just not me but GW2 lost half there player base with this

They’re not taking your money. They’re offering a good in exchange for money at a cost they, and anyone who buys it, have deemed it to be worth. Yes there are people for whom the cost is too steep, but that is always going to happen, no matter what the product is.

If you don’t feel that the cost is personally worth it for you, a decision you’ve made based on your own financial situation and sense of the games worth, then that’s perfectly fine. But it’s not a legitimate criticism and you’re by no means in the majority with your opinion.

Posted by: Zen.6384

Zen.6384

Bought the game already, I’ll never buy Heart of Thorns. It’s way too overpriced for an upgrade. Even 30$ from a third party seller. Hell no.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

such is the benefit of a game that doesn’t force you to pay a sub every month ^^

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

The game is so obsessed with its trading post and cash shop, everything is about grind to stock said trading post, the rest of the content has fallen to the wayside..

They need to focus on actual content and items everyone has access too or yes the game will be even more dead in 3 years time..

Why on earth would i buy anymore expacs after hot if all they add is even more daily grind..

Ascended started this stupidity and its just spiraled out of control since then.. I have a wallet in game full of useless items i’m suppose to farm after daily already.. why would i pay for more..

Time gates are a lazy and artificial way to extend content life. why would i buy more?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The game is so obsessed with its trading post and cash shop, everything is about grind to stock said trading post, the rest of the content has fallen to the wayside..

They need to focus on actual content and items everyone has access too or yes the game will be even more dead in 3 years time..

Why on earth would i buy anymore expacs after hot if all they add is even more daily grind..

Ascended started this stupidity and its just spiraled out of control since then.. I have a wallet in game full of useless items i’m suppose to farm after daily already.. why would i pay for more..

Time gates are a lazy and artificial way to extend content life. why would i buy more?

I get that you dislike aspects of the game, but how are items gained via gold (whether TP or Gem Shop) not “accessible to everyone?”

Also, what would a not “lazy and artificial way to extend content life” look like?

ANet has added content. Some of it was added for free, some in the XPac. What about that content do you dislike (other than the learning curve in HoT, which you’ve already shared)?

Were I at ANet, it would be hard for me to adjust rewards to please you, unless all you mean is, “Give me rewards with much less time investment.”

As to the general topic, I saw a post comparing ESO to GW2 the other day. The OP found ESO’s content additions superor in value to GW2’s.

So, I wondered the following:

• The first ESO DLC pack consisted of: a “huge” zone (a city) with PvPvE content, 2 PvE dungeons and 1 PvP dungeon. It sounds kind of like a Desrt BL with the dungeons as extras.
  • The second pack consists of what looks like another huge zone (Looks about the size of VB, but I could be wrong). While the Wiki page lists a lot of locations and NPC’s, it only lists 5 quests.
  • As of when those two DLC released (iirc), they were priced somewhere between $20 and $30 US, and the second was slightly higher.

What if

1. ANet had released the four HoT zones as separate DLC, rather than bundled into an XPac? Or, VB and AB as separate DLC and TD/DS combined into a third?
  2. The price for those DLC was ~$20-25 per?
  3. The Elite Specs and Revenant were available as a separate DLC, valued at $20-25?
  4. The raid was separate and that pack cost $10-15?

Would players think the value was better then?

It would certainly be comparable to the competition’s pricing (by which I mean other B2P MMO’s). Discussions of value for a gaming product are meaningless unless one compares what’s offered to the market in general. Now, there’s a separate issue of whether one likes what HoT offers. There’s nothing wrong with deciding you don’t like the content, and thus deciding the value isn’t there for you as a result. However, that’s not comparison shopping.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Would you prefer that there be no trading post? Imagine how it would be to get all of the mats and other items that you want.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

Would you prefer that there be no trading post? Imagine how it would be to get all of the mats and other items that you want.

GW1 has none yet we do fine there……

Ayrilana.1396

GW1 has none yet we do fine there……

They do have one although it’s on a much smaller scale. Also, instead of the players setting the prices, the game does. This is also informing how much more complex GW2 is compared to GW1.

Let’s say that GW1 has no version of a TP. You say you did just fine there so clearly you had no issues farming everything that you needed. So that means you should have no problem farming everything in this game, right?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Mudran.8105

Mudran.8105

The problem is, that this marketing decision shows unfriendly attitude to old players, so it may work for the new players, but you will get a lot of old players, who bought the core game and feel cheated… the outfit is fine though, that could work – to show how much it would cost in your shop :p
so to answer the OP – you will get a nice outfit if you bought the core game – if I am right

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

The problem is, that this marketing decision shows unfriendly attitude to old players, so it may work for the new players, but you will get a lot of old players, who bought the core game and feel cheated… the outfit is fine though, that could work – to show how much it would cost in your shop :p
so to answer the OP – you will get a nice outfit if you bought the core game – if I am right

Actually there is a lot an older account has. Birthdays, some content access that isn’t in game anymore. Already farmed up items etc. I know I’m up for 4 year birthday gifts in a couple of months.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

There is already a thread about the HoT pricing. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/HoT-Price-Feedback-Base-game-included-merged/first

As others have said, the base game is free. You’re only paying for the expansion. You can either use the serial key once purchased to create a new account with access to everything, or use it on an existing account to unlock HoT.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: LoL NooBs.5076

LoL NooBs.5076

Unfriendly attitude? They totally gave us the finger ).
Marketing decision. If there ever was an “unmarketing decision”, this is it right there. I wanna see the sad looks on their faces when sales figures were the opposite of their expectations. Of course they want to try and cover this up. Certainly our complaining isn’t helping either side any. But tell me why, oh why, should we bother to help a developer who gave us the finger?

If a game is good, it will sell itself without spending on marketing. If the game is kitten, no amount of hype and promises will hide that.

According to my immature name I seem not a big loss for the community.

Posted by: The Ventari Ele.5812

The Ventari Ele.5812

You know something is wrong when the devs finally start asking WvW players what they want

We’ll release SAB, everybody loves SAB they wont notice the lack of other updates!

Posted by: vladracul.6798

vladracul.6798

There is an activation key for Heart of Thorns separately or will I have to start a new account with the core game + HoT? @@

Ayrilana.1396

There is an activation key for Heart of Thorns separately or will I have to start a new account with the core game + HoT? @@

Tt’s just one key. If applied to a new account or a F2P account, it unlocks the core game and the expansion. If applied to an already existing full account, it unlocks just the expansion.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There is one key, which does one of two things, depending on how you apply it.

• If you apply the key to your existing account that has already unlocked core, it will add the HoT permissions to that account.
  • If you apply it to a new account, it will unlock both HoT and core for that account. The “free core for new accounts” is basically an acknowledgement that the game is 3+ years old and can be played for free (with some restrictions) anyway.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I get that you dislike aspects of the game, but how are items gained via gold (whether TP or Gem Shop) not “accessible to everyone?”

Also, what would a not “lazy and artificial way to extend content life” look like?

ANet has added content. Some of it was added for free, some in the XPac. What about that content do you dislike (other than the learning curve in HoT, which you’ve already shared)?

Were I at ANet, it would be hard for me to adjust rewards to please you, unless all you mean is, “Give me rewards with much less time investment.”

As to the general topic, I saw a post comparing ESO to GW2 the other day. The OP found ESO’s content additions superor in value to GW2’s.

So, I wondered the following:

• The first ESO DLC pack consisted of: a “huge” zone (a city) with PvPvE content, 2 PvE dungeons and 1 PvP dungeon. It sounds kind of like a Desrt BL with the dungeons as extras.
  • The second pack consists of what looks like another huge zone (Looks about the size of VB, but I could be wrong). While the Wiki page lists a lot of locations and NPC’s, it only lists 5 quests.
  • As of when those two DLC released (iirc), they were priced somewhere between $20 and $30 US, and the second was slightly higher.

What if

1. ANet had released the four HoT zones as separate DLC, rather than bundled into an XPac? Or, VB and AB as separate DLC and TD/DS combined into a third?
  2. The price for those DLC was ~$20-25 per?
  3. The Elite Specs and Revenant were available as a separate DLC, valued at $20-25?
  4. The raid was separate and that pack cost $10-15?

Would players think the value was better then?

It would certainly be comparable to the competition’s pricing (by which I mean other B2P MMO’s). Discussions of value for a gaming product are meaningless unless one compares what’s offered to the market in general. Now, there’s a separate issue of whether one likes what HoT offers. There’s nothing wrong with deciding you don’t like the content, and thus deciding the value isn’t there for you as a result. However, that’s not comparison shopping.

Sorry for the late reply.

The cash shop has exclusives no one can ever get anymore (Asian hat, Wizard Hats etc) but my post was more aimed at the millions of resources designed to be farmed 24/7 in game, every “hot” map now has these things 500 of this 1000 of that to add to it every reward has Ascended junk (sorry but it is junk) so you can farm it for yet another grind, no real content.. The maps only there so customers that enjoy wasting their lives away acquiring this stuff can..

No more hearts, no more rewards, no more solo stuff worth your time and effort, its all just long term uselessness, my word obviously, i know others seem to love these things but what about some actual content to play you know more maps more dungeons more anything less resource grinds…

Years i’ve played this game and i still have no clue how to build a ascended weapon or even if i can, i farm this junk daily but still i miss stuff because i cannot get items outside of teamed content..

Either way if i could just save up and buy an ascended i would but i can’t..

The difficulty is now ridiculous and i’m searching yet again for a more casual mmo.. tired of dying daily to stuff i shouldn’t need to.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

I preordered GW2 in 2012 for $60(?), and I’m still happy about that, it’s a huge game. Heart of Thorns is priced at $50 at the least, and I’m not planning to buy it unless the price is no longer a joke considering what it adds to the base game.

The Iron Butterfly

Posted by: Fred Fargone.3127

Fred Fargone.3127

Seen how this horse is still merely “very dead”, I’ll beat it some more.

Screwing over the long time supporters was, and is not, cool ANet / NCSoft.

How bout like a 10% discount or something for every time you’ve bought the game, so for example the next expansion:
new players pay $50
GW2/HoT players pay $45
GW2+HoT players pay $40

People who can argue often offer a good and meaningful conversation about the subject.
People who can’t tend to call the opponent troll, scream something utterly incomprehensible
and finally result to personal insults.

Ayrilana.1396

Seen how this horse is still merely “very dead”, I’ll beat it some more.

Screwing over the long time supporters was, and is not, cool ANet / NCSoft.

How bout like a 10% discount or something for every time you’ve bought the game, so for example the next expansion:
new players pay $50
GW2/HoT players pay $45
GW2+HoT players pay $40

The vast majority of expansion sales for MMO’s come from existing players. I can gaurantee you that them, nor any other company, will discount their expansion specifically to existing players. Companies often give discounts in one form or another to new customers in order to attract their sales. It has nothing to do with whether or not they value existing customers.

Posted by: Valoiz.9857

Valoiz.9857

10 months later and the HoT exp still cost 50$ for Core owners and no chance to unlock by gems store…. quite sad