Network Lag [Merged]

Network Lag [Merged]

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: NeroGuilt.4720

NeroGuilt.4720

The problem is that its not just NCsoft getting hit by these DDoS attacks. See the article I posted a bit farther up.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2096720/attackers-use-ntp-reflection-in-huge-ddos-attack.html

The problem is, that no one can actually stop a bunch of ddos’ing script kiddies…What in the actual hell

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: tinymurder.5791

tinymurder.5791

Then they are complete idiots. They won’t accomplish anything. They aren’t going to make money off of it. So then why waste resources doing something like this, unless of course, they are all basic script kiddies who can’t actually accomplish something worth while. Which is more of what i’m thinking. People are on payroll to deal with this, and they are getting ran around by some wanna be group. Hilarious.

Unfortunately, they aren’t doing it for the money, they’re doing it for the “lulz” and the hell of it. The other thing is, they only have so be successful once to make waves, the cyber security folks have to be successful every time or they’re considered failures.

Also, these guys aren’t “script kiddies” they are some of the better hackers and programmers out there. After all, they found a vulnerability in the Network Time Protocol and have exploited it ruthlessly to generate the largest DDOS attack in the history of the Internet. I’d say that proves a certain amount of skill and will to succeed. Shame all that potential is being wasted in the cyberspace equivalent of egging your neighbor’s car, or mailbox baseball.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

This is just ridiculous, how does one get repeatedly attacked a whole week and not be able to combat these hackers…

I think you mean Crackers.
Hackers are good guys and usually in the IT department of companies. Crackers on the other hand are the bad guys who do ID theft, DDoS attacks, read your email….and other illegal or unauthorized acts.

Just FYI

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Darkicon.7950

Darkicon.7950

Reading these comments reminds me why I don’t work in IT anymore. Stop blaming ANet for any supposed DDoS attacks (Proof? Or are we just assuming?). Mitigating DDoS attacks aren’t as simple as you guys somehow think. Even if ANet was being attacked directly, normally businesses like ANet don’t run hardware like Cisco Guard (Their provider would). Other than that, all you can do is null route your servers and wait it out.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: NeroGuilt.4720

NeroGuilt.4720

Then they are complete idiots. They won’t accomplish anything. They aren’t going to make money off of it. So then why waste resources doing something like this, unless of course, they are all basic script kiddies who can’t actually accomplish something worth while. Which is more of what i’m thinking. People are on payroll to deal with this, and they are getting ran around by some wanna be group. Hilarious.

Unfortunately, they aren’t doing it for the money, they’re doing it for the “lulz” and the hell of it. The other thing is, they only have so be successful once to make waves, the cyber security folks have to be successful every time or they’re considered failures.

Also, these guys aren’t “script kiddies” they are some of the better hackers and programmers out there. After all, they found a vulnerability in the Network Time Protocol and have exploited it ruthlessly to generate the largest DDOS attack in the history of the Internet. I’d say that proves a certain amount of skill and will to succeed. Shame all that potential is being wasted in the cyberspace equivalent of egging your neighbor’s car, or mailbox baseball.

That’s why I just don’t get it. What is the actual gain other than lulz? Most of their “fanbase,” probably plays the same things that they are screwing up. And I will continue to call them script kiddies. I don’t care that they accomplished that one thing, they are still acting on a beginner level with what they are doing with it. Who cares how good you are if you can’t actually use it for something worthwhile…

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Actually the problem with the NTP amp and DNS reflection/syn reflection attacks have been known long before these guys came into existence. They’re simply exploiting it. I have no doubt they’re just above average script kiddies. There are publicly available proof of concepts out there that can be easily modified to do exactly what they’re doing. I remember a few reflection/amp exploits from 96-98 that exploited things in a similar fashion to what is going on still now(in one cases exactly the same) people just don’t update their networks/computers or want to deal with how much it would cost to pay someone to update everything to avoid this crap and in some cases the problem is just with the protocol itself and there is no real easy way to fix something like that with such wide adoption.

I can some what comprehend their attack on CloudFlare .. CloudFlare makes ludicrous bullkitten claims of being nigh-invulnerable and can shrug off any DDoS. They’re practically a con-artist that formed when “cloud” was all the buzz and so many large companies ate their bull crap and asked for seconds.

(edited by NeuroMuse.1763)

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Zintair.1987

Zintair.1987

Cannot even download the game which I assume is a direct result of the DDoS attack. Can’t say my year+ return is going well and will probably lose me again as I can;t even play the game.

Not pleased.

[ISA] – Commander
80 Necromancer – Zintair

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: wads.5730

wads.5730

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26136774

they arent targetting anet directly, anet can’t do anything about it.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Leonflowen.4172

Leonflowen.4172

I’ve currently been experiencing terrible lag within the past few days, myself.

Wednesday (the 12th) I was doing alright for an hour or so, then I experienced a tremendous amount of lag, causing me to log out. It took me a while just to reach the character select menu.

Thursday (the 13th) I logged in and took care of some inventory cleaning, and everything was fine for a bit, then I decided to look for a group to take on a dungeon, and that’s when the lag started once again; not only for me, but for everyone in my party, as well.

This being said, I certainly realize it’s not just me experiencing the lag. I’m not complaining, nor am I pointing the finger. As I understand it, there’s quite the DDoS attack underway, and I do hope the situation can be fixed soon.

I thought I would make this post, however, in the hopes that the following can be used to aid in the situation. This more than likely isn’t the case, but who knows?

I current reside in North Georgia (North America), and I play on Eredon Terrace (U.S.)

Before I submit this post, however, I would like to ask that my fellow community members remain patient throughout this time. If it is indeed a DDoS attack behind the server problems, and one that doesn’t specifically target ArenaNet’s servers, then all they can do is wait for a solution, or migrate their servers elsewhere, which isn’t a simple task, I can assure you. Thankfully, Guild Wars II requires no monthly fee, and though it is quite a burden for each of us (perhaps especially those who have purchased in-game items), it’s important to understand and consider the situation at hand.

Again, I cannot convey enough the importance of patience at this time. I’m sure ArenaNet is well aware of the problem, and trust they will take appropriate action where available to them. They put alot into this game, so I can assure you, they’re not just going to let it go to ruin during an event that many hosts have unfortunately experienced.

Thanks for your time, and again, I do hope this issue can be resolved soon.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Still geting terrible lag spikes today when everything around me freezes for few seconds and skills don’t launch. Game is unplayable

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: TYHE.6435

TYHE.6435

Lags from yesterday, but today I’m unable to do anything in game. Also, for a quite long time now, I’ve been having minor issues like slow loading of skill bar (can’t see the icons), enemies (for example world bosses), and constantly crowd of characters in default armors instead of real ones , even on my friends from guild standing next to me, sometimes I see someones armor, he takes a step and it is replaced by default. It wasn’t like this in the past. Some optimalization is needed.

(edited by TYHE.6435)

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Sandie.1964

Sandie.1964

Most of us can understand that bad people will do bad things, over the last week we have had the lag dc issue come up twice now. Whereas most of the people I play sympathize with ANET, we are also pretty kittened that NOT ALL SERVERS IN WVW are affected. It was fantastic to get back on and find our whole BL had been papered, and upgrades were in progress for the other side.

I suggest when one WVW server crashes you kick all of the other servers out of WVW. Lets stop giving the server that dosnt get hit the ability to paper other servers undefended borderlands. Also you could add a que system for us so that when the servers come back up again we can get the message the server is avail to travel to, rather then having to stare at the screen until the tic comes back.

Also roll back the maps to when the attack started. If the reward is gone I think the kiddies will stop. I think these attacks are either for some sort of profit or someone tying to make the point they are smart enough to do it and too juvenile to care they look like a 6 year old writing on their bedroom wall.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: qtdogewof.8746

qtdogewof.8746

Im having lag issues on my account, and I have tried logging in as my friend and his account runs perfectly on the same PC. It only seems to be affecting my account which is what is confusing me.

Rstk Darkblade ~ Maverick Lifekeeper ~ Pious Fervour ~ Scar Fireshot

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26136774

they arent targetting anet directly, anet can’t do anything about it.

^This. Most of the recent issues are a result of the DDoS attacks. The DDoS attacks are not aimed at NCSoft/ANET directly. The problem is one of the Level3 nodes that basically everyone routes through keeps kittenting itself during the DDoS attacks. Level3 is not affiliated with NCSoft.

Network Lag [Merged]

Lucyfer.9517

Something i find quite interesting.

Im having lag issues on my account, and I have tried logging in as my friend and we play on the same server but his account runs perfectly on the same PC. It only seems to be affecting certain accounts which is what is confusing me.

Maybe it’s not just the attacks maybe anet messed our accounts or something? Anyone able to test it further?

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Something i find quite interesting.

Im having lag issues on my account, and I have tried logging in as my friend and we play on the same server but his account runs perfectly on the same PC. It only seems to be affecting certain accounts which is what is confusing me.

Maybe it’s not just the attacks maybe anet messed our accounts or something? Anyone able to test it further?

yea, Anet isnt doing anything to your account. There is still a pretty big attack going on.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Like others stated in here, the lag has returned over the last couple of days. For me the lag is at its worst during UK prime time. I have no trouble downloading any content or updates as this worked fine this morning when updating the game on windows 8. Only an issue trying to pve and has made world vs world a no go zone.
Also noticed it has an effect on the forums too when this is going on – very slow to load.
Playing out of New Zealand.

(edited by johnnymiller.5968)

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Donatello.7613

Donatello.7613

I have the same problem. I’m from Poland and I’m playing gw2 since launch and didnt have any problems with lags at all. But for a week or two its unplayable. Skill lags for 5 or more seconds, freezes for a minute or more (trading post is working without any problem during those freezes). Lag in both pve and wvw and only in gw2. Anet please help us, we cant play…

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Redhair Solsting.6594

Redhair Solsting.6594

I had played this game for a year and really seldom had lags.But started last two weeks the lag is unbearable, especially in PVP. I was a huge fan of this game but the lag is really killing me. I cant stop thinking to afk now……plz fix this dam lag Anet…

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: khesi.2786

khesi.2786

The same problem, I’m from Poland and game is Unplayable, lags on skills ~20 – 30 seconds, then DC.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Maua.5347

Maua.5347

I am from Poland, too. And I have the same problem. The game just stops, mu charr cant move, I cannot see my friends online and anyone from the guild. After some minutes is better, then next everything goes wrong. Its so frustraitng that I cant do anything

Network Lag [Merged]

Lucyfer.9517

Am from poland to and same problems. Hmm who is your ISP polish people? Multimedia Polska here.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Tomek.1682

Tomek.1682

I’m from Poland and the same problem. I’m also with Multimedia.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: camouflage.4891

camouflage.4891

Same here, Poland. ISP: Multimedia Polska.

Problems happen only in Guild Wars 2. Can play games like Starcraft 2 or Diablo 3 just fine.

Network Lag [Merged]

Maua.5347

Same – Multimedia.

Network Lag [Merged]

Lucyfer.9517

Ohhh my, maybe is time to call Multimedia and raise hell then…

Network Lag [Merged]

Maua.5347

I dont think its a problem. The rest is working fine. Web pages, other games.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: camouflage.4891

camouflage.4891

Exactly, everything else works fine. I noticed smaller lag that started to appear exactly a week ago, but now its a total disaster and the game is unplayable.

I called MM yesterday and they said everything looks fine on their end. Ping and speed tests also dont show any major latency jumps.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

lag kicked in again about 36 minutes ago 10pm NZ time or 9am UK time. The lag is non existent outside of EU day & prime time hours (most of the time).

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: khesi.2786

khesi.2786

I forgot to add, My ISP is also Multimedia I called to their support twice, and they said everything looks ok.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: papy.8571

papy.8571

same here im getting lags on night time in phillipines unplayable lags about 4 days now and counting …. network is fine this only happen at night my latency increases on gw2 350-550 dunno the reason why

(edited by papy.8571)

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Domatron.6749

Domatron.6749

My ISP is TalkTalk here in the UK, even though it’s mainly been BT customers complaining about the lag

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: ECC.9258

ECC.9258

I’m from spain and my internet provider is ONO, and I’ve see other spanish people complaining about lag issues, with diffrents providers

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: kaida.9487

kaida.9487

Another here in Spain with problems. This is the third day with lag. My ISP is ONO too.

Its almost imposible to play

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Dandelion Murderer.3084

Dandelion Murderer.3084

I’m dead certain this isn’t a problem with my internet connection but the game is unplayable. I’m in Toronto, Canada, and I can’t log on for more than 3 seconds without having major lag and a disconnect seconds after. Idk wtf is going on.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: cryystyy.9487

cryystyy.9487

I’m from Romania.I have the same problem. The internet is working fine on web or other games,but in gw2 i had insane lag. For the past 2 days i have this problem at night. I think is the gw2 servers that has a problem. Please fix it.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

the game is completely unplayable across NA right now.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Seth Moonshadow.2710

Seth Moonshadow.2710

@ 5:23 PM on Blackgate I was dropped to character selection screen twice. Fellow player at my house also dropped to character selection screen, though only once, and was able to get logged back in. I closed client and on re-open I was able to log back in again. Day four of disconnects in the evening. Access to guild wars 2 forum and wiki also extremely slow. Other internet access or internet based games unaffected.

| Dungeon Adventures | Blackgate | PvE | Lost Precipice | Gilded Hallow | Windswept Haven (soon)
http://www.dungeon-adventures.com

(edited by Seth Moonshadow.2710)

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: thaooo.5320

thaooo.5320

This is another post about the lag generated on your side of the world.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in all MMOs.
Stop failing at PvE, and fix WvW/SPvP. Thank you.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: JKFlipFlop.7123

JKFlipFlop.7123

Cant do anything in game right now. Just lag for the past week at night in NA.

I Am Harmfull – [WHO] ex tM/XOXO
Roamer and Troll
GoM→NSP→AR→NSP→GoM

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Atrum.2698

Atrum.2698

Intense lag at around this time, consistently for the past 3 days thus far.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: gnollbane.3620

gnollbane.3620

A lot of lag right now it’s crazy, I want to play gw2

~Gorg

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Yarlyn Zinc.6801

Yarlyn Zinc.6801

Stupid lag, stupid game, stupid ANET!!!

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: DevilLordSix.6235

DevilLordSix.6235

Getting lag on Yak’s Bend.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: shockelite.1602

shockelite.1602

ArenaNet, please make an official thread about this DDoS attack, we your customers deserve a reason for our interruption. It may not be your fault, let us know so we don’t point the finger at you. To be honest I’m tired of telling people of this DDoS attack. INFORM PEOPLE PLEASE

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Asami.3572

Asami.3572

Currently sitting in a fractal with my guildie alone… The rest of our group lagged out, dced, and ended up leaving the group while they were all offline. GG…

Silver Koneko/Silver Kom Trikru/Lime Dorito
BG

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Billionaire.5607

Billionaire.5607

Ok thought it might of been just me, but having coming across this post I can safely assume it isn’t my ISP. I had to log due the terrible latency. Adding my post to bump this thread and hopefully increase the priority if it isn’t already high.

twitch: www.twitch.tv/gamblerbihz
5k Hours Played over last 1.1k days – “I love this game”

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: SABeefeater.9735

SABeefeater.9735

This is a daily event lately. Game becomes unplayable, no response from dev team. It’s like dealing with Sony Online Entertainment all over again!

Tarnished Coast

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: Skolven.3417

Skolven.3417

Do you guys think those servers updates/change really go unnoticed since past 2-3 days?

Why dont you guys tell us about what is this about in a public notice instead of just giving us random disconnections and long period of downtown on all servers, everyday, like it was totally normal.

This is just so irrespectful to all players, we pretty much all feel like **** right now.
At least tell us what this is about.

Network Lag [Merged]

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

Ok thought it might of been just me, but having coming across this post I can safely assume it isn’t my ISP. I had to log due the terrible latency. Adding my post to bump this thread and hopefully increase the priority if it isn’t already high.

ANet has no real control over this situation. It has to do with one of their providers and some of the hosts their provider routes through. The only thing that could be done outside of standard methods used to mitigate a ddos is if NCSoft/ANet uproots where it co-locates it’s servers which is extremely unlikely.