Will the fps be fixed?

Will the fps be fixed?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: omino.4302

omino.4302

Before any expansion is released? otherwise I know where you can stick it.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

i think the answer is “only if amd and intel come out with massively better cpu’d then they have now before the expansion”

alot of is have this feeling that anet arent even working on the perf at this point, some of the devs may be working on it on the side but, I really doubt anybody at anet is taking the issues seriously, they are still making money after all.

my whole game group has effectivly side lined gw2, we all have beastly gaming rigs, even tera at 2560×1440 runs at 40fps worst case…..and thats with the game maxed AND driver based AA and SMAA…..

the problem really seems to be that anet seems to have developed gw2 with dreams of an xbox360 port, what leads many of us to this conclusion is that the game has 3 heavy threads, and the 360 has 3 cores, and the 360 is dx9 level gfx hardware wise….years ago the dev’s where all excited the game was gonna be dx10 then even dx11 but that was fully abandoned in favor of dx9….this also ment they could sell the game to people running xp whos systems cant run the game worth a kitten…..

yeah anets kinda kittened me off…..but, I dont blame the dev’s, they just gotta do what management tells them to do……

so yeah, most likely what will fix the game is the xbox720 coming out and them porting the game to it, since the 720 will be dx11 and will have more cores, they will have to rewrite the engine to use more cores since the cores used wont be as powerfull as todays top cpu’s that only get you 30fps in LA……

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

Seems to me that Hyperthreading is also an issue, or at least, GW2 has an issue with it. In my other thread I wrote about how I got a decent performance boost in PvP just by disabling HT. I have never had to do that with any others games that I’ve played on this system.

Given that consoles are (currently) not multitasking machines like desktop PC’s but instead they’re meant to run a single game at any given time, I don’t see them using HT cpu’s in the consoles. It wouldn’t make sense and it would increase the cost for no reason. So whether or not anything is ever done to fix the HT issues in GW2 probably doesn’t depend on the next console release, IMO. It would have to be a targeted fix for PC’s and laptops.

Will the fps be fixed?

omino.4302

i think the answer is “only if amd and intel come out with massively better cpu’d then they have now before the expansion”

alot of is have this feeling that anet arent even working on the perf at this point, some of the devs may be working on it on the side but, I really doubt anybody at anet is taking the issues seriously, they are still making money after all.

my whole game group has effectivly side lined gw2, we all have beastly gaming rigs, even tera at 2560×1440 runs at 40fps worst case…..and thats with the game maxed AND driver based AA and SMAA…..

the problem really seems to be that anet seems to have developed gw2 with dreams of an xbox360 port, what leads many of us to this conclusion is that the game has 3 heavy threads, and the 360 has 3 cores, and the 360 is dx9 level gfx hardware wise….years ago the dev’s where all excited the game was gonna be dx10 then even dx11 but that was fully abandoned in favor of dx9….this also ment they could sell the game to people running xp whos systems cant run the game worth a kitten…..

yeah anets kinda kittened me off…..but, I dont blame the dev’s, they just gotta do what management tells them to do……

so yeah, most likely what will fix the game is the xbox720 coming out and them porting the game to it, since the 720 will be dx11 and will have more cores, they will have to rewrite the engine to use more cores since the cores used wont be as powerfull as todays top cpu’s that only get you 30fps in LA……

I don’t think anyone buying a next gen system would want a dated looking game such as gw2, It appears anet are stuck between a rock and a hard place now, expansion sales will tell us as most pc gamers are sick of it and won’t upgrade to silly mega pc’s just to get 1 game running 30 fps lol

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Piteous.4165

Piteous.4165

I can’t see mobs or players in wvw because of the culling and now I can’t play because of the lag.

Blackgate
Stay frosty! Keep it tight!

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Seems to me that Hyperthreading is also an issue, or at least, GW2 has an issue with it. In my other thread I wrote about how I got a decent performance boost in PvP just by disabling HT. I have never had to do that with any others games that I’ve played on this system.

Given that consoles are (currently) not multitasking machines like desktop PC’s but instead they’re meant to run a single game at any given time, I don’t see them using HT cpu’s in the consoles. It wouldn’t make sense and it would increase the cost for no reason. So whether or not anything is ever done to fix the HT issues in GW2 probably doesn’t depend on the next console release, IMO. It would have to be a targeted fix for PC’s and laptops.

HT is an issue because the way the games designed, 3 VERY heavy threads where if 1 of them for any reason bogs down even for an instant, it drags the rest of teh game down, redesigning the game to use more lighter threads could help with the HT issue, it wouldnt be a perfect fix for HT issues but, it would help.

if they redesign the game to use more threads rather then targeting it at very powerful tricore systems……it would help alot….

another note worth mentioning is that from what i read, next gen consoles will have more then 3 cores, and since it seems pretty clear the reason the games got 3 heavy threads is because they targeted the 360…..this could push them to fix the game…..

I dont feel gw2 looks that dated, it looks better then many other mmo’s and even some single player games….

the issue really is, they should have targeted the modern pc and tested on the hardware they targeted, they clearly didnt, i mean, the way the game runs, they must have phase cooled 3960x or better running at 6+ghz……..

either way they wont be fixing it anytime soon, anet/ncsoft are still making money despite the game running like warmed over donkey poo.

Will the fps be fixed?

omino.4302

Are Anet even fixing this? seems like they choose to ignore it.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: dinominator.9862

dinominator.9862

If they are working/planning on a fix, I’m sure they aren’t going to discuss it here without an official statement (after passing PR, marketing, legal, etc.) They probably won’t prepare an announcement until they have something they feel good about.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

We are almost approaching 6 months since release.
Substandard framerates for a AAA title this long after launch is totally unacceptable.
Many others in the community are VERY frustrated with Anets’ lack of any statement regarding what most consider a game breaking issue.
I have seen ZERO responses from any moderator on this site or perhaps their official forum(reddit) regarding performance issues.
Quaggan Backpacks and cutsy TP items > smooth gameplay

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

We are almost approaching 6 months since release.
Substandard framerates for a AAA title this long after launch is totally unacceptable.
Many others in the community are VERY frustrated with Anets’ lack of any statement regarding what most consider a game breaking issue.
I have seen ZERO responses from any moderator on this site or perhaps their official forum(reddit) regarding performance issues.
Quaggan Backpacks and cutsy TP items > smooth gameplay

well, you know, gem store items are more important then real meaningful fixes for the game……because people are still paying for gems and buying the game…..till they realise how much money they are loosing out on by not fixing their kitten, they wont fix it….

Are Anet even fixing this? seems like they choose to ignore it.

yup, thats about what I think, they will do one of 2 things

1. wait for intel and amd to fix it for them by putting out new cpu’s, so 2-4 years down the road, perhaps the game will give you 40-50fps min… on high end systems……

2. they will fix it when the xbox 720 comes out as a byproduct of the porting process.
I think the 2nd is our best hope, since it would mean dx11 and 64bit (from what i read, ms is really gonna push 64bit with the 720, may not even support 32bit code)

the 720’s cpu wont be even close to as powerful as todays top cpu’s so they will have o do something.

from what I read, the 720 will have a powerpc cpu AND an amd APU, as well as a stand alone gpu chip.

Xbox 720 Specs

UPDATE JAN 2013: The specs of the Xbox 720 have been leaked. The next-generation console will feature the same 8-core processor as the Sony PS4 according to vgleaks. However, it has 8GB of core RAM, where the PS4 reportedly has 4GB.

It’s not a resounding victory for the Xbox 720, though. The Sony PS4 has at the very least a more powerful sounding GPU. The Xbox 720 GPU will have 12 cores, the PS4’s 18. However, now that chipset cores are becoming so ‘plentiful’, the number of cores is not a definitive indicator of power. We’ll have to wait for benchmarks to surface to find out which really has the greater grunt.

In late 2012, a hacker claimed to have uncovered what the Xbox 720 processor is – in part at least. He wrote that the Durango dev kit has a 1.6GHz processor, comparing it to the chip of the Wii U – criticised by some for not being all that powerful.

However, this is by no means a conclusive indictment of the Xbox 720’s processor, though. It doesn’t go into the system architecture, or the GPU’s abilities. A while back, in January 2012, IGN wrote that the console would use a customised version of the ATI Radeon 6670 GPU.

PC gaming nuts wouldn’t put a card this lowly into their gaming rigs – it only costs around £50 these days – but within the efficient walls of a console system, it could produce reasonably impressive results. IGN’s source claimed that the Xbox 720 would offer “six times” the power of the Xbox 360.

I have read however, theres speculation of the use of a 7700 class video chip as they are quite a bit more powerful and still pretty low power.

in short whats been put out there leads me to believe that both ms and sony are using very similar configs and enoughts been said about them both using APU’s that, its quite possible both will have 8 power pc cores and 4 x86 cores, as well as a custom amd video chip likely based on one of the mobile 7000 series chips. (this could be built into the apu package honestly)

exciting stuff if only because it will drive game developers like anet, Bethesda and their ilk to get with the times and modernize their engines……8 ppc cores+4 x86-64 cores+a 6000 or 7000 series gpu/apu chip=one heck of alot of processing power…..add to that the fact it sounds like they will each get a standalone gpu…(they are saying they are pushing 1080p gaming, where the last gen pushed 720p)

god i hope its true, and i hope it drives anet and their ilk to move into the present rather then living in the past.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Ecliptic.5408

Ecliptic.5408

Arenanet are kittens. They couldn’t give a single kitten about the game. Think about all of the current fixes (albeit most don’t work) posted on the Internet about the FPS problem. They are all posted by gw2 players.

Now turn to arena net, they won’t help the players with their FPS problems, try posting up any fixes or even acknowledge the fact that their game is dated or broken. They tell you that you need better hardware that your CPU sucks and NEEDS to be better, that your graphics card also sucks and doesn’t work with the game and that it’s very “odd” to have FPS problems even though the next 100 people are having these issues.

Anet will sit in their office scratching their balls and counting their money and there is nothing you can do about it.

(My comment seems pretty harsh but I’m god kitten angry at arena net right now)

(edited by Ecliptic.5408)

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Oh Ecliptic, I and so many others agree with you…

its why nobody I know will be buying gems or any expantion if they dont fix the performance of the game.

they need to change the minimum specs to something like

Min specs
Intel i5 3570k@4.5ghz or AMD 8350@4.5ghz or better.

that would help alot, it would cut into sales so they wont do that….

I really do think the dev’s most likely would like to go back and fix the game, but, management are more interested in quagan backpacks and other crap for the gem shop…

somebody should put up a kickstarter for GW2 perf fixes……

goal of say 500k-1.5million, to go toward paying anet to hire a team to rebuild the client with dx11 and proper threading, to rebuild it so it scales to lower hardware as well as higher…..

honestly, I would kick in for that…..as would most gw2 players!!!

Will the fps be fixed?

Ecliptic.5408

Oh Ecliptic, I and so many others agree with you…

its why nobody I know will be buying gems or any expantion if they dont fix the performance of the game.

they need to change the minimum specs to something like

Min specs
Intel i5 3570k@4.5ghz or AMD 8350@4.5ghz or better.

that would help alot, it would cut into sales so they wont do that….

I really do think the dev’s most likely would like to go back and fix the game, but, management are more interested in quagan backpacks and other crap for the gem shop…

somebody should put up a kickstarter for GW2 perf fixes……

goal of say 500k-1.5million, to go toward paying anet to hire a team to rebuild the client with dx11 and proper threading, to rebuild it so it scales to lower hardware as well as higher…..

honestly, I would kick in for that…..as would most gw2 players!!!

The kickstarter idea seems like a good way to get the issues ironed about but tbh it’s uncalled for.

I would support that kickstarter. But It’s such a dick move to have the devs need more money to fix something that shouldn’t of even been in the game in the first place. Come on they are still making good money of gw2 sales 6 months in. It’s as if we have to fix their fault for them (by giving them money to fund the process).

I’d still like to see this issue fixed but kickstarter seems impractical something else must be done. Rather than giving money to the devs. Think moar!

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: IvanHoe.3468

IvanHoe.3468

The community paying for the game to be fixed is an excellent idea, however, it needs some adjustments.

First: It needs to be an external contractor, not a game developer, the person or persons paid to do the job. Developers due to contractual obligations would be prohibited from doing such activity. Besides I have my own opinions on the efficacy of the game devs which I’ll hold to myself.

I recall a similar case where a skyrim fan and developer named Alexander Blades fixed skyrim’s atrocious performance before the game developers felt so embarrassed they they decided to fix the game themselves.

Second: due to the way kickstarter works, it isn’t convenient, if at all possible, to use it for this purpose. It needs to be a chip-in style site, where people contribute money via paypal or whatever. Once the money starts getting high enough it will certainly attract the attention of free lance developers. The higher the money the higher chance of attracting the right mind for the job.
It would be similar to a Power Ball lottery ticket, when the money goes high enough, people go crazy buying more and more tickets trying to gain the prize. Similarly we would have more and more developers trying to solve the problem.
And this will be no simple task. Without access to the source code and anet’s server side profiling and benchmarks, only a low level wizard would have any chance of stumbling with a fix.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

Arenanet are kittens. They couldn’t give a single kitten about the game. Think about all of the current fixes (albeit most don’t work) posted on the Internet about the FPS problem. They are all posted by gw2 players.

Now turn to arena net, they won’t help the players with their FPS problems, try posting up any fixes or even acknowledge the fact that their game is dated or broken. They tell you that you need better hardware that your CPU sucks and NEEDS to be better, that your graphics card also sucks and doesn’t work with the game and that it’s very “odd” to have FPS problems even though the next 100 people are having these issues.

Anet will sit in their office scratching their balls and counting their money and there is nothing you can do about it.

In my case, I get great FPS during PvE (great being above 40 FPS 90% of the time; average 55 FPS). My CPU sucks also (Phenom II X3 720), but it’s OC’d to 3.5GHz currently. I have a Radeon HD 7850 that also seems to handle the game fine to an extent.

Certainly there is room for improvement on ANet’s end, but there is probably plenty of things the end-user can do to make their own experience better in the meantime. For example, lower some in-game settings (I’ve seen people complain of FPS, and meanwhile they never turned down any in-game settings from max…). Do some OS tweaks, update drivers, etc.

My CPU is pretty sub-par most likely compared to what most people have, and I get acceptable FPS. My computer is heavily tweaked as well to do so though.

Will the fps be fixed?

omino.4302

In my case, I get great FPS during PvE (great being above 40 FPS 90% of the time; average 55 FPS). My CPU sucks also (Phenom II X3 720), but it’s OC’d to 3.5GHz currently. I have a Radeon HD 7850 that also seems to handle the game fine to an extent.

Certainly there is room for improvement on ANet’s end, but there is probably plenty of things the end-user can do to make their own experience better in the meantime. For example, lower some in-game settings (I’ve seen people complain of FPS, and meanwhile they never turned down any in-game settings from max…). Do some OS tweaks, update drivers, etc.

My CPU is pretty sub-par most likely compared to what most people have, and I get acceptable FPS. My computer is heavily tweaked as well to do so though.

Only problem with that is lowering any graphic options seems to have next to no effect whatsoever

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Sorry to burst that bubble,but maxed i get around 70+ fps in LA.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Aemaeth.2685

Aemaeth.2685

Then I think you are in the wrong place, bub. You should take your place alongside Baron Münchhausen.

On topic:

Lack of FoV slider, inability to turn off mouse smoothing and unjustified FPS drops with 50-60% CPU and GPU usage brought me here. I feel some relief seeing that so many people are reporting the same problems (over and over again since launch) but at the same time I can’t forget how disappointed I am due to not seeing any resolution to these matters.

Sadly, the answer to the OP would be, IMO, “no, the lousy fps won’t be fixed”. Why? Because there are plenty of reasons to believe so.

- WvWvW tells us how bad the engine is while having multiple players in one place
- there is no official acknowledgment and statement about the performance issues (other development teams as CD Red Projekt, Planetside 2 dev. team, heck even Bethesda with it’s Skyrim tweaks have all listened and responded to their fans, while ANet seems to not care much about this)
- unjustified low FPS in non-heavy CPU/GPU areas are mostly a sign of engine (bad/unoptimized) coding
- low CPU/GPU usage means, again, a bad port(?) or unoptimized code – there are plenty of examples out there, in the PC games market

Not sure why I still bother. Maybe because there is some hope left that, at least partially, some fixes will be issued…

Meh, I am disappointed…

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: bernardo.5436

bernardo.5436

i would like to add my contribution to this fps issue. I’ve been searching for weeks about how to increase my fps in wvw and i ve contacted the support of Anet many times and today i made a change in my 3 configurations that made my fps much more stable in wvw compared to the 15-20 fps i was getting in zergs fights before.
first i am going to give you my 3 rigs that are more or less the same and based on Asus motherboards.
1) maximus 4 extreme z , I5 3570k, 16 go ddr3 corsair vengeance, ssd samsung 128go and asus gtx580 1,5go
2)p8z77-m pro, i5 2500k, 8go gskill sniper 1866mhz, ssd corsair performance pro 128go and gtx560ti
3)p8z77-v I5 3570k, 8 go corsair vengeance blue 1866mhz, ssd crucial m4 256go, clud3D gtx660ti.

me and my 2 brothers were all getting bad framerate in wvw in zergs fights only and we really didn’t know why it was averaging the 15-20 fps with a massive stutter due to a , we believe, abnormal loading time even if we are all 3 on SSD’s.

Then i came on a post speaking about HPET (high precision event timer) and there are 2 variables of configuration (so 4 possible configuration). Most people on this post were speaking about activating it in bios and in win7 (with the bcdedit function in cmd.exe) to force your computer to use the platformclock. Some others kept saying you have to disable it in bios and in win 7 in order to play games.

what i know is that i am not an informatician but just a geek like many of us and i gave a try this morning and disabled it in win 7 (via the bcdedit function) and left it enabled in my bios. I then gave it a try in wvw and guess what? in really massive encounters my pc worked flawlessly without the stuttering and with minimum 35 fps and all this without overclocking the cpu. It stayed at 3,8ghz turbo mode enabled.
I think that the asus owners of the mobo i’ve listed should give it a try.

Of course, when i overclocked the cpu wvw went better (i am under a intel thermal solution watercooling and i always checked cpu and gpu temperature while gaming) but what made me think there was something wrong with my pc is that i was still getting 15-25 fps with my cpu overclocked at 4,5ghz (the 3570k) during 10-15 seconds in massive encounters although prime95 had clearly showed me a stable cpu and configuration during 11 hours and according to the posts here on this forum people were saying that it should stay above the 30 fps with a 3570k at 4,5ghz.

I am now making this post to help people with asus mobo to tell them to give a try about configuring their HPET correctly in BIOS and in windows and maybe that could also help owners of different new mobos with the HPET function. Worh giving it a try!

I would also like to add that i am not an IT so i dont know what HPET effectively does but a bad configuration of HPET can make your pc’s performance worse that was clearly obvious on our 3 systems.

ps: sorry for my poor english, not my mothertongue.

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

looking at the sky/a wall/the ground dont count…. as the other fellow said try standing there, or the bank or TP or MF……nobody gets 70 unless its on an overflow with nobody else around….

The community paying for the game to be fixed is an excellent idea, however, it needs some adjustments.

First: It needs to be an external contractor, not a game developer, the person or persons paid to do the job. Developers due to contractual obligations would be prohibited from doing such activity. Besides I have my own opinions on the efficacy of the game devs which I’ll hold to myself.

I recall a similar case where a skyrim fan and developer named Alexander Blades fixed skyrim’s atrocious performance before the game developers felt so embarrassed they they decided to fix the game themselves.

Second: due to the way kickstarter works, it isn’t convenient, if at all possible, to use it for this purpose. It needs to be a chip-in style site, where people contribute money via paypal or whatever. Once the money starts getting high enough it will certainly attract the attention of free lance developers. The higher the money the higher chance of attracting the right mind for the job.
It would be similar to a Power Ball lottery ticket, when the money goes high enough, people go crazy buying more and more tickets trying to gain the prize. Similarly we would have more and more developers trying to solve the problem.
And this will be no simple task. Without access to the source code and anet’s server side profiling and benchmarks, only a low level wizard would have any chance of stumbling with a fix.

this wouldnt work for gw2 the fixes needed for this game would require direct access to source, also, my post was 1/2 in jest( i was being a smart kitten ) to be clear, what would have to happen is, somebody would have to pay anet OR setup a bounty for fixing the game that anet could collect if they fixed the game, (i think the bounty idea is a good one honestly, taht way anet couldnt use the money for more quagan backpacks rather then fixing the perf)

they would only get the money if they actually fixed the game, or it could be setup so they get X amount of the money and when/if they fix the game to use to hire a team to fix their kitten, they get the rest when/if the kitten is fixed…..

none of this will happen mostly because I dont see anybody having the skill or knowledge to set it up If they did, I would put some money into it, as would most gw2 players I think…..

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

ANet is currently rewriting culling as they only noticed a short 2-3 months after the beta that it´s broken.

So they are basically rewriting major portions of the game and if they ever get done with it then maybe they will try writing a client that properly utilizes the actual hardware.

Polish > hype

Will the fps be fixed?

Espionage.3685

Only problem with that is lowering any graphic options seems to have next to no effect whatsoever

Your 100% sure of this? I immediately get maybe 20+ FPS if I turn Reflections off. Everything else “to an extent” is a minor FPS difference or nothing at all.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Jandus.2834

Jandus.2834

ANet is currently rewriting culling as they only noticed a short 2-3 months after the beta that it´s broken.

So they are basically rewriting major portions of the game and if they ever get done with it then maybe they will try writing a client that properly utilizes the actual hardware.

Source?

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jandus: they said months ago they where working on the culling system.

the problem with culling in gw2 is they 100% rely on Umbra, and intended/expected umbra to be run on gpu.

umbra blame amd/nvidia/intel for their software not working properly on gpu saying that its driver flaws/bugs that make it run poorly……(funny they wont fix their own software….expect somebody else to fix it!!!)

so the cpu is being loaded down with even more crap, when it would be overloaded anyway due to the horrible 3 heavy thread design.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Wulfic.6278

Wulfic.6278

Lets talk about this problem in this thread. Maybe finally someone will hear us out ? Ive got a really decent pc. Crysis 3 on ultra Without AA flawless. Gw2 average 25fps WHY :C ? it bothers me so much. I know its the fault of the CPU. But it isnt a bad CPU either so why gw2 ? Tera runs great and Gw2 is just a mess even Planetside 2 which is a CPU intensive gam runs on average 45 for me.

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

there are any number of such threads some locked some just died, anet do not care, till they realise its hitting them where it matters to them(their wallet) they wont care….

Will the fps be fixed?

omino.4302

It is so annoying when they ‘anet’ make statements about pointless shizzle on gem store and seem to ignore this game breaking issue, I guess they may wake up when sales of any expansion are terrible, I’m really disapointed they ain’t acknowledged the game is broken and won’t give us a big loving hug and tell us there fixing it.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

OP is right. Other games , even intensive dx11 crysis 2 runs smoothly vs gw2

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

Will the fps be fixed?

Espionage.3685

OP is right. Other games , even intensive dx11 crysis 2 runs smoothly vs gw2

Totally different game engine. Unreal Tournament 3 runs great for me. Metro 2033 runs at real low FPS. Crysis 2 is alright, and as is GW2 for me.

Will the fps be fixed?

Ecliptic.5408

I have tried alot of things to get gw2 running at a stable FPS. Turning stuff off in the BIOS, ocing my card and CPU etc. The game when I play it at lowest setting averages at about 35 FPS while in low populated PVE. Playable? Yes. Enjoyable? No. (the game on low settings looks worse than wow and low resolution hurts my eyes, add the low FPS and it just sucks)
I’m giving the game a break for a bit.
If anet ever begins to plan on fixing the FPS, I have DOTA 2 to play in the meantime.

Will the fps be fixed?

Wulfic.6278

Anet should start fixing it. And I would be glad for a statement of their own. Lets face the facts the game runs horrible. It is a great game but it is a pain in the kitten to play. I dont have so much cash to just go buy me a new processor and the best part is all games besides Gw2 run for me a stable 60 fps. The problem is with the engine I think. It was a great mistake to build gw2 on the first engine. They should have taken the Cryengine and all would be smooth. I dont know. They have to fix it I cant play like this…

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Jandus: they said months ago they where working on the culling system.

the problem with culling in gw2 is they 100% rely on Umbra, and intended/expected umbra to be run on gpu.

Indeed, but we have to be precise.

ANet is rewriting and fixing player culling, that´s the appearance/disappearance of player models during PvP(&PvE).

AFAIK this has very little to do with the actual game performance problems that Umbra´s Occlusion Culling is somehow borking up!

So as long as ANet is busy fixing another totally unrelated problem we can pretty much say good bye to this game.
While the ornery Umbra Icelanders could care less for fixing their own software, as they already cashed their check from ANet.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: hoegarden.4287

hoegarden.4287

If your pc can’t run the game with max settings, then don’t blame anet for that…
Just put the game in low and you would be fine and stop kittening about all this.
You are the ones who try to play the game higher than expected. They used the same engine as guild-wars… how do you expect all that to go well ?
It would be the same if WoW was made with the same engine as the first world of warcaft ever made.
Yes it sucks for all of us, but for now nobody can do anything to fix the problem. I guess the developers also know that now. It’s just pathetic that you don’t play the game because you can’t run it like you expected. With my config i can run it pretty well in pve, or in WvW. I don’t have a really overpowered pc like some of you guys pretend to have. But do you hear me winning about it ? Just play the game and stop acting like children…

Will the fps be fixed?

Wulfic.6278

If your pc can’t run the game with max settings, then don’t blame anet for that…
Just put the game in low and you would be fine and stop kittening about all this.
You are the ones who try to play the game higher than expected. They used the same engine as guild-wars… how do you expect all that to go well ?
It would be the same if WoW was made with the same engine as the first world of warcaft ever made.
Yes it sucks for all of us, but for now nobody can do anything to fix the problem. I guess the developers also know that now. It’s just pathetic that you don’t play the game because you can’t run it like you expected. With my config i can run it pretty well in pve, or in WvW. I don’t have a really overpowered pc like some of you guys pretend to have. But do you hear me winning about it ? Just play the game and stop acting like children…

I love Anet. I love the game. But what they did with the games performance is awfull. If I pay I DEMAND. Now I dont understand… If u are paying for something u want it to work as it was written on paper ( Anet said that the game will be playable for nearly everyone ). I hate ppl like u who dont want to get the product they actually bought. This discussion is about how Anet should fix the game not how we should accept the situation. That what ur saying is pathetic,childish and naive. Ur supposed to be outraged by the poor performance of the game. It was said it would work on Medium settings for players who played gw1 on max now the truth is very different because even people who can play crysis 3 on max cant play gw2 with medium settings good.

Will the fps be fixed?

hoegarden.4287

Why would i be outraged for something i can’t change ? Look at how many topics there are for this problem. I can’t believe that Anet just close their eyes and pretend that everything is fine. Let them do their job. That is all we can do about it.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Kevin Collins.2098

Kevin Collins.2098

When I played the Beta, I kept telling myself “This isn’t finished yet.” because, like most everyone, I was under the impression that if I could play GW1 maxed with no problems, then running GW2 on med would be about the same.

Well, that’s dead wrong.

Truthfully though, I know my machine isn’t the greatest and I have to give the nod to the CPU being maxed out for that. That doesn’t stop me from playing – I play every night in PvE and I’ve dabbled in WvWvW on occasion. PvE is MUCH more enjoyable.

I’m hoping a new PC (which is in the works) will help my problems, but that doesn’t fix the problem here. The problem that I have with this whole situation is that Anet is not talking about this – at all. But I guess that them saying nothing is better than them saying “We’re working on it.” for month after month.

I hope for the community’s sake that they are working on it. I hope for the community’s sake that they resolve it quickly. Because couple the lackluster performance with a real lack of content and you get a mass exodus of players – which has been happening…for months.

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

so somebody who spent $16,641.71 on a computer and then overclocked it to say 5ghz should have to turn things down ?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EA3k

and pretend to have…..ROFL……see attached image….

I wouldnt mind turning stuff down if

1. i didnt have a system that destroys every other game on the market.

2. the settings being lowered actually had any effect on my perf….( i get same fps everything maxed as with everything at low….)

3. anet for years said that pretty much anybody would be able to play this game?

as to your comments about the engine.

WoW’s engine is at its heart the same one used for WarCraft3, they have updated and expanded it over the years, much as anet did with the gw1 engine, the problem really comes in that anet appears to have “optimized” the engine with there eyes on a console port(xbox360) its got 3 heavy threads, the 360 has 3 cores, its dx9 despite talk over the years from the dev’s of dx10 and even 11 at launch , the 360 has dx9 level gfx mind you…

Anet kittened up when they updated and “optimized” this engine, they should have built and tested on all the systems in the range they where planning to support and made it so lowest settings would work at a min of 30fps on a system with min specs for the game, instead you get a game that with a system like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EA3k thats forced to be overclocked to maintain 30fps in DE’s, LA and WvWvW…..

how is that acceptable?

Tera a game thats at least as good visually scales far better, i have seen a friend play it on a laptop that has an old AMD x2 6000 and 2600xt (512mb dedicated ram…) and yes its an old DTR it can run tera turned down mid low settings at the laptops native res and get decent fps in all but nexus events, he can play nexus by turning everything to minimum……(it still runs poorly but better then gw2)

hes tried that same system for gw2 and…..it just cant cut it, even windowed, he cant do DE’s if there are more then 5-7 people on screen he cant even play……

its well above minimum specs for the game mind you, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Running_the_game

really the min specs need updated to reflect actual performance of the game….since they wont fix their kitten.

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Why would i be outraged for something i can’t change ? Look at how many topics there are for this problem. I can’t believe that Anet just close their eyes and pretend that everything is fine. Let them do their job. That is all we can do about it.

anet clearly dont care, if they did, they would at least be letting us know they are working on it.

the fact is, they very likely decided to just wait and either fix it if they think they can do an xbox720 port OR just wait for AMD and Intel to fix it by making more powerful cpu’s(not gonna do much good, considering a system like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EA3k would still need overclocked to at least 4.5ghz to have even a hope of keeping the game at 30fps or above game wide…..)

your telling us its ok, and we shouldnt complain, we should just accept it…..

sorry ,but if we dont complain, anet can use the excuse that nobody complained so they figured things where just great.

I still want to know what kinda systems they run this on to think it would run on their rated min specs worth a kitten #8230;.

Will the fps be fixed?

hoegarden.4287

Well I added an attachment too.
I’m not telling that you shouldn’t complain, we are after all costumers. But look at this forum, there are hundreds of topics talking about this problem. Like I said, I don’t think they just ignore all this.
Maybe you are right and they just ignore it. They can do that if out of 2 million players, a couple of 1000 have this problem. But by time more and more people will notice it, and they will be forced to do something about it. Or maybe they are already doing something about it, but aren’t sure yet so they are not telling us about it.
I’ve seen some moderators and other staff replying to other topics, so just encourage them to fix it instead of putting an arrow in their chest.

Attachments:

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

I think their optimization team took an arrow in the knee…
http://youtu.be/tlC6Z0iRoOA

would explain why the games not being fixed/optimized….

and you must still have cnq and turbo enabled, i havent bothered to enable them, i just have mine locked at 4.6 does wonders for some games and apps

nice board, I really hope your overclocking with that board, if not…….really really stupid to buy a chV and not oc….:)

Will the fps be fixed?

hoegarden.4287

I’m planning to oc, but i need a better cpu cooler first :p
c&q is enabled just so that the cpu fan doesn’t make that much noise when i’m watching a movie or something.
But when i start a game he go up to full speed. I’m not such a hard core gamer. More 3dsmax or photoshop stuff.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: bernardo.5436

bernardo.5436

hi guys,

maybe i am wrong or something but why is your hwinfo64 showing a real bandwidth bus speed of 2,5gb/sec although mine hwinfo64 indicates pci 2.0 × 16 (5gbs/sec) x16 (5GBSEC).
just trying to help you. is it some power savings feature?

have to say gw2 runs great on my pc and if your real bandwidth bus speed is 2,5Gb/sec then it is not so great. I would advise you to take a look at this with gpu-z

Attachments:

Will the fps be fixed?

Wulfic.6278

Btw can I overclock this CPU AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz ? If u need any more information just tell me what do I need to write here and how to find out what I actually got in my pc. Thanks

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

Btw can I overclock this CPU AMD Phenom™ 9650 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz ? If u need any more information just tell me what do I need to write here and how to find out what I actually got in my pc. Thanks

mmm very unlikelly, i mean u can try but u need a very good motherboard, since that processor dont have a unlocked multiplier, u would need to raise motherboard northbridge speed to overclock it, which is only recomendable on high end mobos.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

Well I added an attachment too.
I’m not telling that you shouldn’t complain, we are after all costumers. But look at this forum, there are hundreds of topics talking about this problem. Like I said, I don’t think they just ignore all this.
Maybe you are right and they just ignore it. They can do that if out of 2 million players, a couple of 1000 have this problem. But by time more and more people will notice it, and they will be forced to do something about it. Or maybe they are already doing something about it, but aren’t sure yet so they are not telling us about it.
I’ve seen some moderators and other staff replying to other topics, so just encourage them to fix it instead of putting an arrow in their chest.

That is not true 100% of the player base have the issue, only 1000 players complain about it, that is a different thing. Truth be told, most players plays the game using low end and old computers they get bad performance, they asume is normal since their computer is slow anyways, probably 5% have high end desktops they get bad performance and they complain cuz it shouldn’t happen.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

so somebody who spent $16,641.71 on a computer and then overclocked it to say 5ghz should have to turn things down ?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EA3k

and pretend to have…..ROFL……see attached image….

I wouldnt mind turning stuff down if

1. i didnt have a system that destroys every other game on the market.

2. the settings being lowered actually had any effect on my perf….( i get same fps everything maxed as with everything at low….)

3. anet for years said that pretty much anybody would be able to play this game?

as to your comments about the engine.

WoW’s engine is at its heart the same one used for WarCraft3, they have updated and expanded it over the years, much as anet did with the gw1 engine, the problem really comes in that anet appears to have “optimized” the engine with there eyes on a console port(xbox360) its got 3 heavy threads, the 360 has 3 cores, its dx9 despite talk over the years from the dev’s of dx10 and even 11 at launch , the 360 has dx9 level gfx mind you…

Anet kittened up when they updated and “optimized” this engine, they should have built and tested on all the systems in the range they where planning to support and made it so lowest settings would work at a min of 30fps on a system with min specs for the game, instead you get a game that with a system like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EA3k thats forced to be overclocked to maintain 30fps in DE’s, LA and WvWvW…..

how is that acceptable?

Tera a game thats at least as good visually scales far better, i have seen a friend play it on a laptop that has an old AMD x2 6000 and 2600xt (512mb dedicated ram…) and yes its an old DTR it can run tera turned down mid low settings at the laptops native res and get decent fps in all but nexus events, he can play nexus by turning everything to minimum……(it still runs poorly but better then gw2)

hes tried that same system for gw2 and…..it just cant cut it, even windowed, he cant do DE’s if there are more then 5-7 people on screen he cant even play……

its well above minimum specs for the game mind you, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Running_the_game

really the min specs need updated to reflect actual performance of the game….since they wont fix their kitten.

QFT

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: richwn.2746

richwn.2746

I’m running GW2 with this spec:

i5-750k Quad @ 3.2 ghz
8gb 1600MHZ ram
AMD 6870 1gb gddr5

My PC will happily push out 45-50 FPS on GW2 and i have to say, for the visual quality of the game and the effects, this is about right. The game is beautiful guys! Draw distance, depth of field, the ability to super sample your res – they’ve put time into creating a game that will allow great PCs to display a fantastically detailed world. Yes – there’s always room for optimization on the game end but due to the differing nature of computers anet would be spending months of work for minuscule improvements. Minimum specifications are precisely that – the bare minimum. Everything on low, lowest resolution possible, for those who just want to scrape by.

And i don’t understand anyone’s references to xbox360 ports – we’d be looking at an absolutely massively different game if it was. The talk of DX9 and DX11 – the 360 doesn’t work like that. The 360 runs DX9 out-of-box for developers, but as they can write code to run closer to the metal they can write in addons and extra features to emulate X10 or x11 capabilities as best they can. Maybe they placed a focus on 3 cores because most of your newer dual cores these days come with HT, and on a quad core it would leave a core free to actually run background tasks? And its DX9 to allow for people using XP (appealing to the widest audience is always the best idea for an MMO)

People don’t seem to be turning down settings, and completely disregarding the visual quality of the game in comparison to others (and those other games similar system reqs). This is a modern, detailed game with full range of effects released in august 2012, and as far as performance vs quality goes, its right. This is most likely why no one has and will continue to not receive any feedback from Devs on this, because they cant do any more than what they’ve done. People will disagree with me but it really is true.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Axiom.6490

Axiom.6490

I’m running GW2 with this spec:

i5-750k Quad @ 3.2 ghz
8gb 1600MHZ ram
AMD 6870 1gb gddr5

My PC will happily push out 45-50 FPS on GW2 and i have to say, for the visual quality of the game and the effects, this is about right. The game is beautiful guys! Draw distance, depth of field, the ability to super sample your res – they’ve put time into creating a game that will allow great PCs to display a fantastically detailed world. Yes – there’s always room for optimization on the game end but due to the differing nature of computers anet would be spending months of work for minuscule improvements. Minimum specifications are precisely that – the bare minimum. Everything on low, lowest resolution possible, for those who just want to scrape by.

And i don’t understand anyone’s references to xbox360 ports – we’d be looking at an absolutely massively different game if it was. The talk of DX9 and DX11 – the 360 doesn’t work like that. The 360 runs DX9 out-of-box for developers, but as they can write code to run closer to the metal they can write in addons and extra features to emulate X10 or x11 capabilities as best they can. Maybe they placed a focus on 3 cores because most of your newer dual cores these days come with HT, and on a quad core it would leave a core free to actually run background tasks? And its DX9 to allow for people using XP (appealing to the widest audience is always the best idea for an MMO)

People don’t seem to be turning down settings, and completely disregarding the visual quality of the game in comparison to others (and those other games similar system reqs). This is a modern, detailed game with full range of effects released in august 2012, and as far as performance vs quality goes, its right. This is most likely why no one has and will continue to not receive any feedback from Devs on this, because they cant do any more than what they’ve done. People will disagree with me but it really is true.

Please do some World vs World or dragon events and show us your fps. The biggest problems are massive events. This is where the optimization should go forward.

I do have a low end mashine, but still can play normal PvE content mostly with 50 – 60 fps. During massive events my fps drop down to 10 – 15 fps. Even if I would buy a new PC, I would get 20 – 30 fps during massive zergs. And this is not acceptable. Therefor I will not buy any new components until arenanet managed this performance problems.

Btw. it doesn`t matter if I use best appearance or best performance. My fps are the same.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: richwn.2746

richwn.2746

Please do some World vs World or dragon events and show us your fps. The biggest problems are massive events. This is where the optimization should go forward.

I do have a low end mashine, but still can play normal PvE content mostly with 50 – 60 fps. During massive events my fps drop down to 10 – 15 fps. Even if I would buy a new PC, I would get 20 – 30 fps during massive zergs. And this is not acceptable. Therefor I will not buy any new components until arenanet managed this performance problems.

Btw. it doesn`t matter if I use best appearance or best performance. My fps are the same.

Sure, ill get back to you on it as soon as the login issues are resolved! Massive online events have always caused a hit in CPU usage. Take away the computing from the user and move it server side, and you end up with a Diablo3 or Sim-City style situation, and its just another thing to potentially go wrong. I’ll hit this thread up with some WvW FPS as soon as!

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

richwn, no they didnt optimize to 3 cores due to modern cpu’s, by the comments they have made, anybody who can read and understand, the only excuse/explination for their choice of design was because somebody(most likely in management) saw $.$ at the idea of a console port.

whent they found it wasnt feasible they abandoned the idea…at least till the 720 comes out..

I understand how dx9/10/11 work, and why console ports are always dx9 these days, its really not hard to unrderstand, ps4 and 360 are dx9 level devices.

had they used dx11 they could have easily targeted everybody dx9 and up, BUT it would have needed more work to make a port to 360, also would have lost them sales to xp users(despite the fact that around 99% of xp users arent going to be able to get this game to run worth a kitten )

honestly, I get their reasoning, but, the fact is, I have other dx9 10 and 11 games that look better or at least as good, but that run FAR FAR better….your excuse for this is kinda invalid….

hell look at tera…the game has very good gfx for an mmo, it is cpu bound but in game settings let the game scale to almost any game rig even 5+year old ones….

I think your being a bit to defensive of Anet, and it depend on the mmo or game engine how well it will deal with large player counts.

back in the day, with tribes2, we had servers that had 256player counts, you at times could have over 100 players on the screen, in large battles, and even people on 56k with fairly slow systems(anything using opengl/glide) you could play fine(smooth fps just had to lead to account for ping).

honestly they jjust need to either rewrite the engine for modern systems, or move to an engine more suited to more people on the screen at once…..

note :the eigine behind tribes was called darkstar, its devlopers bought the engine and started thier own company thats since been bought again, the engine is now called torque http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d.

it deals with large player counts better then ue3 or guild wars engine, or the engine used by blizzard for WoW even…

its also a cheap engine to develop on, specially compared to gw2 engine…..or ue3….

honestly, I love the game, but there are so many engines out there that deal with this stuff better then anets, and look as good or better doing it…..anets only excuse would be that they planned to port to the 360….