Will the fps be fixed?

Will the fps be fixed?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JERRIX.5390

JERRIX.5390

saw your post in the other thread, now i see part of what was holding your 965 back….that foxconn board…..

but yeah the intel is going to smoke that setup….

tip: never buy foxconn motherboards for an enthusist build, their bios supports pathetic, also never buy MSI for and AMD build….(duno about their intel stuff but their amd stuff, sucks, very unreliable…. and weird perf issues)

and yes as you said, they clearly do expect people to get a 3570k or 3770k(or better) and overclock to at least 4.5ghz…..if they didnt the game would run better then it does.

Ya i know that board was terrible. That machine was originally a store-bought HP Elite, thats why the board remained the same forever.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: IvanHoe.3468

IvanHoe.3468

-GameBryo is date, slow and poor engine overall, console designed engine, not really a good example it is probably one of the worst engines out there.

It might be so, or not. Still is good enough for what it does. Could it be better ? Absolutely, but the game already performs well on adequate hardware. The same can not be said about GW2.

The fact is not many MMOs out there can handdle a lot ppl casting spells at the same time, GW2 runs bad but not as bad as others to be fair

Name any game that performs worse than GW2 on the same high level hardware and I will gladly buy it and install it just to prove you wrong.

MMO gamers are used to sub 20 FPS is not a big deal, arenanet won’t listen to us, cuz they know 90% of the players don’t see any performance issue don’t know any better.

I completely agree.

TBH i don’t think Arenanet will ever fix this problem

Truer words have never been spoken.

in 2 years CPU will be capable of run this game properlly

You are wrong on this one.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

I really don’t think that most gamers are used to crappy performance. It is the exact opposite. I agree that anet won’t listen to us since they haven’t uttered a peep in over 6 months.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Rampage: wow, your system must suck or something, playing L2 i never see lower then my cap of 60fps…….even in huge mobs of players with all sorts of effects going off…..

yes WoW is “cpu demmanding” BUT, unlike gw2 and most other games, turning down the in game settings or playing at lower res in gw2 nets people like myself fook all in perf(2-3fps at best)

in 2 years, the 720 will have been out for a while, and anet will have re-written the game to take advantage of more cores and dx11, since by reports the 720 will have 8 ppc cores as well as a possible APU from amd and some even allude to it having a decent dedicated video chip as well.

I play alot of UE based games including L2 and RoM(well only RoM for testing to see how it scaled, I have removed it since nobody i know plays it anymore) the fact is, L2 does run better then this, Aion(cryengine based) runs better then this (at least for me) Tera,RoM,Rift(not been in a huge mob tho, just about 25 or so people on the screen at once running around) , i could list others using various engines, the fact is, gw2’s engine needs reworked to use more cores and use the cores it has access to more efficiently, anets programmers know it, anet management im sure have been told, ncsoft know it……but, till they see its costing them money, they wont allocate resources to it.

and seriously, if your getting 5fps spikes in L2, you need to fix your kitten…..because thats insane……

and in 2 years,, the game will still run like crap on new cpu’s because even intel has started to notice that they need more cores because they are hitting a clock/ipc wall, this isnt a bad thing, its just a matter of how this stuffs evolving……

hell even ARM are going quad and octa core now…..and RAM are all about low power use……

note: 720 cpu will be powerpc based 8 cores at 1.6ghz, this is slower then even intels lowest quads per core today, also slower then amd’s low end quads of today, so anet will Have to spred the work across more cores.

honestly next gen consoles are our only real hope to drive anet/ncsoft to invest in fixing the game and getting us dx11 support.

AMD FX-8350@4.8ghz on air(SilverArrowSB-E Extreme) , 32gb 1866mhz(10-11-10 cr1)
PCP&C 1200watt TC, Crosshair V F-Z, Sapphire 290x

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

-GameBryo is date, slow and poor engine overall, console designed engine, not really a good example it is probably one of the worst engines out there.

It might be so, or not. Still is good enough for what it does. Could it be better ? Absolutely, but the game already performs well on adequate hardware. The same can not be said about GW2.

The fact is not many MMOs out there can handdle a lot ppl casting spells at the same time, GW2 runs bad but not as bad as others to be fair

Name any game that performs worse than GW2 on the same high level hardware and I will gladly buy it and install it just to prove you wrong.

MMO gamers are used to sub 20 FPS is not a big deal, arenanet won’t listen to us, cuz they know 90% of the players don’t see any performance issue don’t know any better.

I completely agree.

TBH i don’t think Arenanet will ever fix this problem

Truer words have never been spoken.

in 2 years CPU will be capable of run this game properlly

You are wrong on this one.

well said Ivan, another note is that gamebryo isnt great, but its all about what the developers do with it, in the case of skyrim, they extended the engine but did not bother to optimize for modern hardware or do any sort of proper testing.

this in gaming circles is refered to as “Bethesda launch syndrome” or “Bethesda syndrome” they make great games, but they do a kitten poor job at the engine level.

they should have included higher res textures, they should have optimized for more then 1 core, they should have gone dx11 rather then 9, but in this case, they did it because they wanted those console player dollars and actually launched on console and its playable……gw2 on the other hand…..Jesus Joseph and marry snow me a game that runs worse on modern hardware, I will be right there with Ivan….

I really don’t think that most gamers are used to crappy performance. It is the exact opposite. I agree that anet won’t listen to us since they haven’t uttered a peep in over 6 months.

i agree with this, also, many notice it and just assume its because the games new and their systems not.

many of them have never tried games like tera that run far better on the same hardware they also have likely never tried aion or other f2p mmo’s because, many people have this image of f2p mmo’s being horrible in both community and play(some are some arent)

I cant tell you how many people I have had to bug into trying f2p games only to have them spend way to much money on them because they really love teh game and community…..

no game engine is perfect, none ever will be.

Rampage: do you really think NCSoft would have invested in UE4 over anets engine or Cryengine3 or another engine if it wasnt suited to use in mmo’s?

an engine is what the developers make of it….

if you want an crazy example of that, look up an old mod for quake 2 called “quake 2 evolved” there are youtube videos of it, they managed to move the game past quake3 gfx levels(the community projects that is).

the fact is, anet did something stupid when they made the game use 3 heavy threads, they need to fix it…..

yes it sucks for them, yes I get why the programmers probably dont want to have to go back and fix it, and Yes i get why anet/ncsoft management wanted a console port(big money), but the fact is, if they want to fix their game, they will have to go back to the root of the problem and fix it…..as other games have done….

hell if sony can admit ps2 needs alot of work, including major work on its performance for large battles….why cant anet admit they got a problem and keep us informed as to their progress doing so?

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

I dug some info up for another thread thought I would copypasta it here.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/25301-will-there-be-dx10-or-dx11-support/

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Technical_stuff

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-7.html

look those over and take special note of the dx9 vs dx11, on an engine even older then the one in gw2…..

note the gain in dx11 vs dx9 on a game using an engine whos roots are even older then gw2’s, pretty impressive…I could do with 12.35-23.36fps boost in gw2 at 1080p what about you?

oh well, we will just have to wait for the xbox720 and ps4 to see if Anet will fix the game for a port, if they do, most if not all of the fixes should carry over to us pc gamers.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Espionage.3685

Espionage.3685

… in-comparison to GW2 (Unreal Engine 3).

GW2’s engine is a proprietary in-house modification of GW’s engine, which was developed by Anet. GW2 does not use the Unreal Engine 3 game engine, LOL, we wish buddy !! that would solve a big chunk of our problems.

Regardless, it is pretty clear that ANet can do some optimizations to make GW2 perform better

Can they ? Perhaps. But they choose not to, so whether they can or not is irrelevant.

I myself have no problem with performance

Even if you play at the lowest settings I doubt that’s true. Go play in any event with more than 30 players on your screen and comeback and say that again.

I know GW2’s engine is in-house. I was saying that TERA uses Unreal Engine 3, which is totally different than GW2’s in-house engine.

Edit: Personal opinion, but I’m glad GW2 doesn’t use Unreal Engine 3. I hate that engine.

As for performance, at lowest settings, I “did” in fact notice something pretty strange, my FPS in high-population areas did drop (20 FPS is the lowest I’ve seen though), with GPU usage being around like 25% most of the time, even had my GPU downclock a few times due to the little usage lol.

In any case, it’s not a significant issue for me. I do agree that some optimizations need to be done still, but really I’m still enjoying GW2 as-is currently. If I’m not staring at my FPS, I could care less, unless it gets to the point of slideshowing, which GW2 has “never” done for me (I consider slideshowing anything below 5 FPS practically).

(edited by Espionage.3685)

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

… in-comparison to GW2 (Unreal Engine 3).

GW2’s engine is a proprietary in-house modification of GW’s engine, which was developed by Anet. GW2 does not use the Unreal Engine 3 game engine, LOL, we wish buddy !! that would solve a big chunk of our problems.

Regardless, it is pretty clear that ANet can do some optimizations to make GW2 perform better

Can they ? Perhaps. But they choose not to, so whether they can or not is irrelevant.

I myself have no problem with performance

Even if you play at the lowest settings I doubt that’s true. Go play in any event with more than 30 players on your screen and comeback and say that again.

I know GW2’s engine is in-house. I was saying that TERA uses Unreal Engine 3, which is totally different than GW2’s in-house engine.

Edit: Personal opinion, but I’m glad GW2 doesn’t use Unreal Engine 3. I hate that engine.

As for performance, at lowest settings, I “did” in fact notice something pretty strange, my FPS in high-population areas did drop (20 FPS is the lowest I’ve seen though), with GPU usage being around like 25% most of the time, even had my GPU downclock a few times due to the little usage lol.

In any case, it’s not a significant issue for me. I do agree that some optimizations need to be done still, but really I’m still enjoying GW2 as-is currently. If I’m not staring at my FPS, I could care less, unless it gets to the point of slideshowing, which GW2 has “never” done for me (I consider slideshowing anything below 5 FPS practically).

Have you tried WvW and can you enjoy of it on big zergs?

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

Will the fps be fixed?

Stormcrow.7513

Go do a dragon event.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

Go do a dragon event.

That or WvW Stonemist castle zerging. No way anyone could honestly say to be enjoying it…

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

Well, i don’t have performance issue in general places with high settings, but i do lag no matter best performance or highest graphic in some places like when i’m close to a castle or hometowns, places with alot of NPCs (some how monsters animals don’t make my fps drop) and stuff i guess it’s only because that there’s too many people (npcs or players)

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

(edited by Lighter.5631)

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Lighter.5631

Lighter.5631

well. i think that it’s unfixable with WvW and dragon event, because from all the open world MMO i’ve played. you will have a huge fps drop when there’s 20 players on the screen no matter what. even with those which made back in 2004.

i just don’t know why i would lag when i enter a castle in the middel of no where with some NPCs and one or two players in it :o when i leave the castl i get my 60 constant back

“i think it’s an underserved nerf. now we have to slot a stun breaker??”
“berserker stance clears all CC on you and you’re still immune to CC for 8 seconds”
-Excalibur.9748

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

well. i think that it’s unfixable with WvW and dragon event, because from all the open world MMO i’ve played. you will have a huge fps drop when there’s 20 players on the screen no matter what. even with those which made back in 2004.

i just don’t know why i would lag when i enter a castle in the middel of no where with some NPCs and one or two players in it :o when i leave the castl i get my 60 constant back

could be culling issues, could just be the fact there are a few real people around.

I have played many mmo’s with openworld events that didnt have this kinda issue.

a great example of a “zerg” would be the old staple of f2p korean grinders, KalOnline, the castle events are a zerg fest, hundreds people trying to take the castle, spell effects going off constantly, it does drop your fps but, its not a slide show like a GW2 zerg or DE can become.

and most people I know consider sub 20fps to be where slide show starts, some below 15fps……..but for me even 15fps causes headaches(literally)

but that is Gw2 for you, anet have apparently decided its “good enough” if thats not the case, then they have decided its not important enough to let us know they are working on it….far less important then Quagan Backpacks, since those where talked about in blogs and news articles………

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I don’t care much about culling, but the performance in WvW is really something that has to be addressed by ANet because there’s simply not much you can do about it. Reducing settings or overclocking the CPU any further doesn’t really help when the client just cannot keep up. When GPU usage drops below 25% and FPS are at 15, there’s almost nothing you can do to react properly but just throw out AoE and smash buttons in hope you do something remotely useful and don’t die. Not much strategy there.
http://i.imgur.com/I1f1SC1.jpg

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: majestic.8129

majestic.8129

Not played this game in months but occasionally check in to see if they have done anything about the state of the engine. Latest patch update I checked said: “Bag Slots and Bank Tabs are 20% off in the Gem Store through February 26!” still got their priorities sorted I see.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Gambit.8425

Gambit.8425

My comp is a i5-2500K OC’d to 4.4 GHz with a old nvidia GTX 460, and I have no lag whatsoever (max settings) in WvW zergs or other intense situations. I did have some weird crashing issues with the Geforce 306.97 drivers, so I re-installed a older one that didn’t upset(?) the game. Maybe a driver change to somewhere near GW2 release helps, latest isn’t always the best. Same goes for chipset and sound drivers.

Are you deleting the Local.dat file (in My Documents/Guild Wars 2) before it gets too large (it stores the login-, graphics- and sound settings and grow over time)? The sound bug is probably related to the size of that file, but imo it also affect the performance quite a bit).

I had the feeling that AMD have more problems than Intel in GW2, but maybe that isn’t the case. Anyway, this game has far from the worst optimization in recent MMO’s. ANet are slow at squashing bugs though, maybe that’s why they’ve had the hiring ad up on the front page since forever.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: omino.4302

omino.4302

Why the hell is there no official comment on this pathetic problem? please just a yes we are on it or no we are happy it wont change would do me so i can quit coming back and checking jeeeeez, really getting on my nerves the lack of an official comment, trust me your expansion sales will take a bigger hit than a hulk smash in the jaw if it stays like this.

I love Guildwars and have since day 1 i just want it to be made ‘good and playable’ without feeling ill from the lousy fps

(edited by omino.4302)

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: spacecraft.4968

spacecraft.4968

My comp is a i5-2500K OC’d to 4.4 GHz with a old nvidia GTX 460, and I have no lag whatsoever (max settings) in WvW zergs or other intense situations. I did have some weird crashing issues with the Geforce 306.97 drivers, so I re-installed a older one that didn’t upset(?) the game. Maybe a driver change to somewhere near GW2 release helps, latest isn’t always the best. Same goes for chipset and sound drivers.

Are you deleting the Local.dat file (in My Documents/Guild Wars 2) before it gets too large (it stores the login-, graphics- and sound settings and grow over time)? The sound bug is probably related to the size of that file, but imo it also affect the performance quite a bit).

I had the feeling that AMD have more problems than Intel in GW2, but maybe that isn’t the case. Anyway, this game has far from the worst optimization in recent MMO’s. ANet are slow at squashing bugs though, maybe that’s why they’ve had the hiring ad up on the front page since forever.

I’ve got an i5 2500k at 4.3GHz, two 670s in SLI, and 16GB RAM and the game turns into a slide show during dragon fights and stuff.

I don’t know how you could possibly have no lag on max settings in huge events.

This game is FAR from optimized. Look at this:

Here I’m getting 55 FPS:
http://i.imgur.com/oDXRBUB.png

And here I’m getting 100 FPS:
http://i.imgur.com/3fvynKM.png

Can’t see anything way out in the distance, yet it dropped my FPS by half. And this is with nothing going on outside.
….

(edited by spacecraft.4968)

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Justin.7163

Justin.7163

I try and avoid WvW like the plague because of how horrible the performance is there. If Anet wants to push players to play this format more and enjoy the work they put into it then something really needs to be done so that it’s not a slideshow, which sucks all the potential fun right out of it. Of course, larger-scale battles in PVE could be improved as well since those can become quite slow and choppy.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Kelliak.9152

Kelliak.9152

I notice that the game doesn’t EVER take 90-100% use of my GPU. It’ll cap out at 80% at its best and drop down to 30% usage at its worst.

This is with increased voltage amounts to the card to ensure its not getting choked on power and with an 3.5GHZ i7(3.9 turbo) I somehow doubt the CPU is at all bottle-necking my GPU.

So what’s the deal here? Is this still poorly optimized for the 680 cards?

Will the fps be fixed?

spacecraft.4968

And what ever happened to DX11? They said it would be coming out later on down the road? Is it going to be YEARS? We have no idea since there is zero communication with the community.

Will the fps be fixed?

Stormcrow.7513

Kelliak my gtx 680 oc will get in the 90s with supersampling.

Will the fps be fixed?

Stormcrow.7513

I agree the lack of communication is very disheartening. I don’t even think that any moderator or dev reads these posts at all. It is just a soundboard to get our frustrations out that fall upon deaf ears.

Will the fps be fixed?

Kelliak.9152

Kelliak my gtx 680 oc will get in the 90s with supersampling.

Good for you. -_-;

SS does jack to me, off or on. So that doesn’t mean much to me.

Will the fps be fixed?

Stormcrow.7513

90% is not a good thing if your getting SS going and being under 90%
The issue is with CPU usage in this game.

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Why the hell is there no official comment on this pathetic problem? please just a yes we are on it or no we are happy it wont change would do me so i can quit coming back and checking jeeeeez, really getting on my nerves the lack of an official comment, trust me your expansion sales will take a bigger hit than a hulk smash in the jaw if it stays like this.

I love Guildwars and have since day 1 i just want it to be made ‘good and playable’ without feeling ill from the lousy fps

anet are taking the “ignore the problem and it will go away” approach to support in this case……after all, if you dont acknowledge a problem, it dosnt exist does it?

I notice that the game doesn’t EVER take 90-100% use of my GPU. It’ll cap out at 80% at its best and drop down to 30% usage at its worst.

This is with increased voltage amounts to the card to ensure its not getting choked on power and with an 3.5GHZ i7(3.9 turbo) I somehow doubt the CPU is at all bottle-necking my GPU.

you would be wrong, due to the design of gw2 you would need a 7-8ghz tricore to to avoid your cpu bottlenecking your gpu, even a mid range gaming gpu will be bottlenekcled by your 3.9ghz turbo.

note: you cant see this with task manager its polling cycles are to slow, when these threads hit a wall its for nano seconds or milliseconds, in that instant your fps are comprimised as the other heavy threads wait for the one thats hit the wall, if they each hit the wall regularly or one hits the wall over and over, your going to see a hit in fps thats pretty constant, that gets worse the more people who are around.

Its not about your videocard, you could be using a 650 or 660ti and still be seeing problems, or a 5770/5870/5850/6850/6870/exct, Anet have admited this and even explained it themselves…..they just wont do anything to fix it because, stuff like Quagan Backpacks make money where perf fixes wouldnt mean more sales or gem shop sales.

And what ever happened to DX11? They said it would be coming out later on down the road? Is it going to be YEARS? We have no idea since there is zero communication with the community.

I and many others have come to the conclusion that we will see dx11 and perf fixes when the xbox720 comes out and anet start working to port the game to that platform, till then, the game wont get anything but more gem shop items and “content”……

dont expect anet to do anything that would require real work like fixing the perf of the game or adding dx11 support till theres the carrot of more sales dangling in front of them.

Will the fps be fixed?

spacecraft.4968

I just wish they would give us some kind of an update. Something along the lines of “We are working on the performance issues. We hope to have DX11 patched in this year.” Even that would be enough.

Will the fps be fixed?

Kelliak.9152

anet are taking the “ignore the problem and it will go away” approach to support in this case……after all, if you dont acknowledge a problem, it dosnt exist does it?

you would be wrong, due to the design of gw2 you would need a 7-8ghz tricore to to avoid your cpu bottlenecking your gpu, even a mid range gaming gpu will be bottlenekcled by your 3.9ghz turbo.

note: you cant see this with task manager its polling cycles are to slow, when these threads hit a wall its for nano seconds or milliseconds, in that instant your fps are comprimised as the other heavy threads wait for the one thats hit the wall, if they each hit the wall regularly or one hits the wall over and over, your going to see a hit in fps thats pretty constant, that gets worse the more people who are around.

Its not about your videocard, you could be using a 650 or 660ti and still be seeing problems, or a 5770/5870/5850/6850/6870/exct, Anet have admited this and even explained it themselves…..they just wont do anything to fix it because, stuff like Quagan Backpacks make money where perf fixes wouldnt mean more sales or gem shop sales.

I and many others have come to the conclusion that we will see dx11 and perf fixes when the xbox720 comes out and anet start working to port the game to that platform, till then, the game wont get anything but more gem shop items and “content”……

dont expect anet to do anything that would require real work like fixing the perf of the game or adding dx11 support till theres the carrot of more sales dangling in front of them.

So in other words, we’re SoL until they utilize multi-core and GPU more efficiently, and not only that, but switch to DX11. I have to be honest, I am a little sickened, a game released very recently, did not come with DX11 out of the box. Even WoW provides a DX11 option.

Nice to spend so much money on building my rig and my most desired game, the one that really shouldn’t cause me so much grief, takes very little advantage of it. Guess I’ll have to suck up the 30fps in large fights. It’s so hard go from a crisp 60 to 30 just because you got in the middle of a large skirmish. :\

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

I just wish they would give us some kind of an update. Something along the lines of “We are working on the performance issues. We hope to have DX11 patched in this year.” Even that would be enough.

DX11 is not a silver bullet. They have to patch their severs too.

During the month of January, the game had a small performance improvement. I notice less lag and shutters. Anet is working on performance, but many of them still cannot solve these huge scaling issues.

I would agree that a small comment will be nice that they acknowledge that performance is still unacceptable

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

they wont need to patch the server for dx11(what it sounds like your saying) yes the server needs work but, IMHO that should have its own team.

I think what anet really need to do is hire a team to either work on bugs with the current client so the current team can work on optimization and dx11 or they need to hire a new team to rebuild the client optimized better with dx11 support.

i mean, its clear from anets own posts that they dont recommend using XP32bit so….why are they supporting it?

funniest part to me though, is that they put all this effort into a game that appears to be clearly targeted for a console port, then no port…….

should have just built for dx11 based pc’s(with dx9 and 10 profiles) required vista/7 rather then support XP…..cuts down on the legacy hardware and software support alot….and is ready to port when the next gen consoles hit.

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

something to note, the in game supersampling isnt AA its just higher res textures….just as sub sampling is very low res textures.

Will the fps be fixed?

spacecraft.4968

something to note, the in game supersampling isnt AA its just higher res textures….just as sub sampling is very low res textures.

Supersampling is basically rendering the game at a higher resolution than your monitor. Native is your resolution and sub is below your resolution.

Will the fps be fixed?

Kelliak.9152

they wont need to patch the server for dx11(what it sounds like your saying) yes the server needs work but, IMHO that should have its own team.

I think what anet really need to do is hire a team to either work on bugs with the current client so the current team can work on optimization and dx11 or they need to hire a new team to rebuild the client optimized better with dx11 support.

i mean, its clear from anets own posts that they dont recommend using XP32bit so….why are they supporting it?

funniest part to me though, is that they put all this effort into a game that appears to be clearly targeted for a console port, then no port…….

should have just built for dx11 based pc’s(with dx9 and 10 profiles) required vista/7 rather then support XP…..cuts down on the legacy hardware and software support alot….and is ready to port when the next gen consoles hit.

Your MMO market is not NEARLY as strong on the consoles for obvious reasons and your base to begin with is firmly entrenched on the PC. So why, in the unholy hell, would you waste your time developing for a dying generation considering such?

You build it for the PC first and plan on a potential console release for the next-generation of consoles, as they will likely be able to handle it without any real drastic adjustment made to the core engine.

This is one of those critical junctures where you may just need to cull your house of sheer stupid. I am utterly baffled by what developers are doing these days, at times practically self-destructing for no apparent reason all in the name of grabbing cheap and short-lived market bases.

(edited by Moderator)

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

they did it because somebody in management who dosnt understand this stuff saw $.$ at the idea of selling the game to console hotdogs/jockies who will pay full retail for years on end for the same game(halo1 sold at full price for YEARS here for example, pc ver was down to bargin bin prices and console version was still 60bucks)

the idea of gw2 on console isnt a bad one, its controls are well suited to it with such a limited skill set, the problem is, the 360 has a 3.6 ghz tricore power pc cpu thats much weaker then an equivalent tricore amd for example…..and as we all know, tricore amd’s dont give you playable fps in WvWvW on this game.

I agree its stupid but, it seems pretty clear from what we can see of the game and stuff anet/ncsoft have said, that their was strong hope for a console port to current gen consoles but, it died because there was just no way in hell that was gonna work.

on the other hand next gen consoles…..if they started work NOW they could probably be ready for a quick port when they hit the market.

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

DX11 is not a silver bullet.

I agree, DX11 wouldn’t really solve anything. That’s just uninformed claims, just like when people call for a 64 bit client. It would be nice to have for a few reasons, but far from being high priority.
I only wonder how they managed to build such an engine for a game that’s focused on epic scale battles. It should have come to their mind that maybe more than 10 people will be in one place in an MMORPG… didn’t those problems occur in the BWEs?

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

I agree, DX11 wouldn’t really solve anything. That’s just uninformed claims, just like when people call for a 64 bit client. It would be nice to have for a few reasons, but far from being high priority.
I only wonder how they managed to build such an engine for a game that’s focused on epic scale battles. It should have come to their mind that maybe more than 10 people will be in one place in an MMORPG… didn’t those problems occur in the BWEs?

Your last sentence made me think… Did ANET ever show WvW trailer with large number of players in one concentrated area? So I looked around and found the official WvW trailer and as expected the largest battle is between 20 people or less ( in those scenes the 30fps is normal, besides the video’s 30fps)… but there were a few scenes where there was more people attacking an area and you can tell by the video that the game was suffering from fps issues….

Official WvW Trailer
See the difference between 0:27 or 0:32 and 1:23

Since these videos were out since before the beta… I’m guessing they were aware of the issue, yet ignored it for some unknown reason.

(edited by iSmack.1768)

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Iruwen.3164/idiotlooser: dx11 could solve some of the problems, not all but it could help, and a 64bit client could allow them to cache more game data to ram, as well as giving a perf boost in general just from the nature of 64bit compiles.

I say this having helped test and optimize alot of apps for x64, heres an easy test, try x64 oggenc(ogg vorbis audio encoder) vs the same version compiled for 32bit, the 64 but is noticeably faster with the same optimization switches.

the game already uses more then the 32bit 2gb limit (per app limit in 32bit windows is 2gb by default)

gw2 is LAA aware but that only means it can use up to 3gb ram, the game could easily use more ram to cache more of the game speeding load times as well.

no these are not magic bullets, but, dx11 would give better performance and would also allow for REAL AA, not the blurry mess that is FXAA…..

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Your last sentence made me think… Did ANET ever show WvW trailer with large number of players in one concentrated area? So I looked around and found the official WvW trailer and as expected the largest battle is between 20 people or less ( in those scenes the 30fps is normal, besides the video’s 30fps)… but there were a few scenes where there was more people attacking an area and you can tell by the video that the game was suffering from fps issues….

Official WvW Trailer
See the difference between 0:27 or 0:32 and 1:23

Since these videos were out since before the beta… I’m guessing they were aware of the issue, yet ignored it for some unknown reason.

oh anet knew full well about the problems, im sure, but, the goal of a port to console was already to far along…..i mean, if they could have run gw2 on the 360 that would have been alot of sales and money in anets/ncsofts pockets…..

and honestly I see this as the only truly viable excuse for the state gw2 is in, dx9 rather then 11, tri threaded, i mean common it was 2012, dx9 was over 10 years old…..xp had already been abandoned by MS, and hardware vendors are starting to pull support for xp drivers, so, the only real excuse is that they went dx9 and tri threaded with their eyes on the xbox360…..a console nearing its EOL….

I will say it again, Dont expect any fixes for the perf of this game till the xbox720, till then Quagan Backpacks and the like will remain more important then anything else.

Will the fps be fixed?

spacecraft.4968

DX11 DOES make better use of newer GPUs. Don’t act like it’s nothing because it can be pretty significant.

But yeah they really need to get the CPU usage fixed first.

Will the fps be fixed?

Stormcrow.7513

Time for my “Will devs ever respond to the community questions regarding performance” bump of the day!

If a dev does decide to answer to our myriad of questions, I will buy that devs’ toon a Quaggan backpack for appreciation.

Resorting to bribery…….

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

Quagan Backpacks all around!!!!

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: iSmack.1768

iSmack.1768

Time for my “Will devs ever respond to the community questions regarding performance” bump of the day!

If a dev does decide to answer to our myriad of questions, I will buy that devs’ toon a Quaggan backpack for appreciation.

Resorting to bribery…….

I’m pretty sure it’s going to be a copy-paste “we know of the issues and we’re working on it”

Will the fps be fixed?

Jazhara Knightmage.4389

did you all see…..they made major improvements to the game with the latest patch.

•Nine new hair colors and six new eye colors are now available through the Total Makeover Kit and the Self-Style Hair Kits. These new hair and eye colors are winter-themed and are available only through these kits, which can be acquired from the Gem Store in the Services category. The new colors are marked with a star and can be applied to any race’s hair.

•The celebration mode of Evon Gnashblade’s Box o’ Fun now has a chance to give the Dancing Spirit buff. This buff grants the character temporary access to three short dances. These dances will take up the utility slots on the skill bar, and when they are activated, your character will perform some new dance moves. The Dancing Spirit buff lasts 10 minutes, but entering combat removes the buff.
•Spawning Evon Gnashblade’s Box o’ Fun immediately equips you with an adjuster bundle to allow you to pick a mode. If you lose the bundle, interact with your Box o’ Fun twice quickly to return it.
•Listings for new items will now show up in the Promotions tab in the Gem Store and
are now marked with a blue exclamation-point icon.
Store and will show how much time is left to purchase them.
•Sale items will now show how much time remains before the sale ends

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/community-news/update-notes-february-26-2013/?utm_source=client

nice to see they are working hard on making the game run better…… pretty clear what anet are worried about……anything that will sell gems……to kitten with fixing the games perf, theres money to be made on gems!!!!

Will the fps be fixed?

Stormcrow.7513

MMORPG: Back in January, one of the fixes for culling went into place, and it seemed to help a bit. But how will the changes coming in March eliminate this completely? There are a few skeptics in Bill’s (Murphy) guild that think it can’t be done.
Habib Loew: Hah, yeah we have seen a lot of the skepticism on the Internet. The change we made in January was really just a tweak to the system. It changed the priorities of Culling but did not eliminate it. The change in March will turn off Culling completely. You will now see every character within range of you. There will be several different options for how other players are presented to you, on the client side that you can choose from so you can control how it works for you.

Thanks for making us wait and read an obscure article to find this out. GG

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

They already said in a podcast that a few people are working on recoding the entire engine… You can use Google to look it up yourselves!

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: omino.4302

omino.4302

Wow still no response from Anet?! It almost feels like if they choose to ignore us any further we will go away, and we WILL go away when any expansion is released in it’s current state and nobody buys it.

Will the fps be fixed?

spacecraft.4968

They already said in a podcast that a few people are working on recoding the entire engine… You can use Google to look it up yourselves!

There are so many podcasts from a bunch of different guild wars fan sites. At least tel us the website you heard this podcast on?

Will the fps be fixed?

spacecraft.4968

Yeah I’ve just come to accept that they will never say anything about the horrible performance and that arenanet really isn’t the company I thought it was. We’re not going to see improvements, all we’re going to see is more junk added to the gem store.

A game like guild wars 2 needs a monthly subscription. Micro transactions don’t work for a game of this scale.

Will the fps be fixed?

Stormcrow.7513

PS: Guys be very careful when posting here. I notice mods started deleting posts, it will not be long before this thread gets locked….

At least Anet isnt as bad as EA lol.
If Anet admits that there is a problem and they are trying to fix it then that would be good enough for me but the disheartening thing is the silence.

I was doing a dragon event today lol
Everyone was complaining about the lag.
Jormag is now Jorlag.

It really is too bad because I felt that Anet did a great job with GW2, but in it’s current state much of the game is unplayable

Will the fps be fixed?

Posted by: IvanHoe.3468

IvanHoe.3468

I noticed the link I posted is not working. Something wrong on AB’s site. anyways here’s the comment AB made after Bethesda finally released a patch fixing the issues with the game.

As you may already noticed my last activity was associated with Skyrim, so all below is about Bethesda and Skyboost. The last one was started as a continuation of the project called Tesval by Arisu, he was the one who found out about huge bottlenecks in Skyrim.

To be honest I couldn’t even imagine that all that stuff which was the reason of bottlenecks can cause so huge performance drop. All that Bethesda developers should do was to add optimization flags to the compiler, if someone will say that something-in-the-code was incompatible with optimizations I’ll answer that this is a bullkitten because PS3 and X360 versions were built with turned on optimizations.

Anyway let’s assume that only PC code part was causing some troubles with optimization … and what ? coding is always about glitches and troubles, Bethesda could make the fix easily. But they didn’t ‘til got punched with Skyboost, Tesval and tons of reports from users that two guyz are making things which Beth coders couldn’t.
I can’t believe that so skilled programmers as Bethesda has just forgot to turn on so life critical thing as optimization and only for PC builds since 2006 when Skyrim development started.

So the question is why they didn’t ignore X360 and PS3 optimizations and give a kitten to PC version, for me this becomes pretty obvious when you see that profit from console version almost for every new game is significantly larger than profit from PC, thats my theory, I have no other explanation of what happened. Without Tesval and Skyboost this wasn’t even possible, this projects forced Bethesda to do in patch 1.4.15.0 what they must did along time ago. Also Fallout3 and Fallout: New Vegas have the same problem – PC version optimizations were turned off.

Anyway I’m not stopping the development of *boost project.