Nvidia - Blackscreen-issue

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Knives Chau.4863

Knives Chau.4863

I’ve stopped playing GW2 back around the end of february, mostly because back then my PC kept getting real hot and I was getting nasty fps drops and such. Then I dismantled it (it’s a laptop), cleaned it up, but didn’t pick up the game again until recently – sunday to be precise. Since then, the only software changes I did were upgrading from win8 to win8.1, and updating my sound drivers.

However, I’m now experiencing the infamous black screen/no signal issue, where the screen just cuts off, ambient sound and/or music is still playing, but the PC does not react to any input whatsoever except for a hard reset. (F11/F12 does NOT bring up the logoff screen, so I’m ruling the router issue out)
This is baffling me to no end. I didn’t change anything relevant to the issue since before the cleanup, the PC is running at WAY lower temperatures than before the cleanup, yet I’m getting this odd random blackscreens, mostly inside instances (dungeons or not. I even got it in the ‘Dead End’ instance, where there are a grand total of like 6 other character models and no fancy effects.), in open world content whenever there are many character models around (the current Priory camp, or even just a small crowd of less than 20 people in the grove) or at zerg events – the only thing I could possibly understand. And I’ve tried google, even! Attempted pretty much any solution I’ve found so far:

-setting AA to application controlled, forced on or forced off – not the solution
-setting multi-screen mode to single screen performance – a nifty feature, didn’t know that existed until now. Didn’t help though.
-forcing VSync on or off, setting it to application controlled – nuh-uh
-rerolling my sound driver (it was the one thing I changed after all, worth a shot) – not helping
-completely removing the second screen – nope
-updating my video drivers to the most recent version – though the game ran perfectly fine on the old ones since release…and it didn’t help
-playing around with the sound quality settings – nothing
-deleting that folder with the black lion trading data – that only resulted in the game freezing for about 1 second whenever I open up the trade post, now
-praying to Tzeentch and Slaanesh

And so far nothing has helped. Game didn’t crash in open world content of low population yet, but that might just be coincidence thus far. Sometimes I can run two or three dungeon pathes all the way through, complete with fps drop sections when two engineers decide to throw those annoying nades – so I severely doubt workload has anything to do with it – and sometimes I can’t even approach a dozen Sylvari standing close to each other. And the most mind-blowing part is that I didn’t change anything major on my software, and that (while running kittentier back then) my laptop could play the game continuously before the cleaning. Also: Guild Wars 2 is the only game to cause this issue. Several other, more demanding games (through higher fidelity or kittentier coding) have been running on the machine, and nothing ever caused anything similar.
I’m all out of ideas. Please help me, interweb!

Though I doubt it’ll help much, I’ll list my specs too:
Dell Precision M6500
Quadro FX 3800M – Driver Version 332.76
i7 Quad @1.87GHz
16GB RAM
Win8.1 64bit

(I’m well aware that it’s not a “gaming laptop” and all that jazz, the argument is irrelevant because it was able to run GW2 for long enough until now.)

Knives Chau.4863

So now I’m adding
-display driver sweep + reinstall
-client repair
-windows event viewer checking

to the list. The repair got me nowhere, neither did the driver sweep. The event viewer is only logging the hard reset, and nothing else in the 15 minutes before that.

On another note, I can now reliably reproduce the issue by attempting to do the charr tutorial. It ‘worked’ three times in a row!

Posted by: Chilli.2976

Chilli.2976

Posted by: MrYoSo.7916

MrYoSo.7916

i fixed mine with msi afterburner, turns out its a overheating thing.

Knives Chau.4863

I tried all this. It didn’t help in the slightest.

i fixed mine with msi afterburner, turns out its a overheating thing.

Interestingly enough, it helped for me too. I monitored temperatures on my card, and they never actually hit the levels that were reached before my cleanup. YET downclocking the card by ~5% completely removed the issue, and I was able to run multiple dungeons and high-load content flawlessly for a few days now.

Knives Chau.4863

Reviving my own thread as the problem has somehow returned..

I came back to gw2 after quite a bit of hiatus, and now the issue is back. Downclocking doesn’t prevent it anymore, much like this guy described. It’s almost as if the game caught up with my attempts to fix the problem. Drivers are all updated, and the majority of the measures mentioned above have been re-attempted. The only thing I could not try so far is deleting that nefarious local.dat, as I don’t appear to have such a file in my Documents/GuildWars2 folder. I would very much like to return to Tyria more regularly, but this issue is not very motivating on the matter…

Posted by: Rktlchr.8495

Rktlchr.8495

I think I am having the same problem. I haven’t tried much in the way of doing anything to software other than keeping my BIOS and GPU drivers up to date. I think I have had about 6 of these black screens just in the last month. Otherwise I have always been able to run at almost max settings anywhere in this game. The only time I lower my settings is for huge WvW fights so I don’t have a chance to lag during the fights.

I have recently re-cleaned the whole computer inside and cleaned off/reapplied new thermal paste to the CPU. I’ve performed stress tests on videocard and CPU and monitored the temps. GPU never went above 70-80 C during GW2 or stress test, CPU stayed at 89C during stress test but didn’t shut down the computer.

GPU: EVGA GTX460 Driver:337.88 (5/26/14)
CPU: i5 2500K 3.30 GHz (not currently overclocked)
Mobo: Z77X-UD3H
RAM: 8 Gb
Win 7 64 bit

Sinister Swarm [SIN]; Sanctum of Rall.
GTX460 Driver:337.88; i5 2500K 3.30 GHz; Z77X-UD3H; 8 Gb; Win 7 64 bit

Posted by: Tierce.5370

Tierce.5370

The only thing I could not try so far is deleting that nefarious local.dat, as I don’t appear to have such a file in my Documents/GuildWars2 folder.

I believe you said you’re on Win 8.1? To get to the appropriate folder:

1) Move mouse to upper right corner of screen.
2) Click Search.
3) Type “\%appdata\%” without the quotes and no back slashes (it’s percentagesignAPPDATApercentagesign as one word but this forum formatting won’t let me type it properly).
4) Click on C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming
5) In the pop-up window, open Guild Wars 2 folder
6) Delete Local.dat
7) Restart GW2 game client and it’ll download a fresh ~3MB Local.dat

Apologies if my instructions sound overly simplistic, I just got Windows 8 and have been struggling with it for a few days so I thought if anyone else reads this, they’ll need the step-by-step.

I have an Nvidia card too and it sometimes still blacks out momentarily, but so far has always recovered. Mine is a brand new computer so there shouldn’t be any problems with overheating; the interior’s clean and Speccy says my temps don’t go above ~70C. Not sure if it’s going to get worse.

Specs:
GPU: Nvidia GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB
Drivers: v. 337.88
CPU: i7-4770
RAM: 8GB
Win 8.1 64-bit
Mobo: no idea, computer is an Alienware x51 r2.

Anyway, hope deleting Local.dat helps somebody.

(edited by Tierce.5370)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

I think I am having the same problem. I haven’t tried much in the way of doing anything to software other than keeping my BIOS and GPU drivers up to date. I think I have had about 6 of these black screens just in the last month. Otherwise I have always been able to run at almost max settings anywhere in this game. The only time I lower my settings is for huge WvW fights so I don’t have a chance to lag during the fights.

I have recently re-cleaned the whole computer inside and cleaned off/reapplied new thermal paste to the CPU. I’ve performed stress tests on videocard and CPU and monitored the temps. GPU never went above 70-80 C during GW2 or stress test, CPU stayed at 89C during stress test but didn’t shut down the computer.

GPU: EVGA GTX460 Driver:337.88 (5/26/14)
CPU: i5 2500K 3.30 GHz (not currently overclocked)
Mobo: Z77X-UD3H
RAM: 8 Gb
Win 7 64 bit

Your CPU temperature is most likely the problem. The max operating temperature for that CPU is 72.6 degrees C. Anything beyond that temperature and the results will be unpredictable.

Your CPU specs:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i5/Intel-Core%20i5-2500K%20CM8062300833803.html

Knives Chau.4863

I believe you said you’re on Win 8.1? To get to the appropriate folder:

Thanks a lot. Managed to find that file, and deleted it. Can’t quite tell if that helped much though…

…because todays patch happened. I have so far tried logging in on three different characters, in three different locations (Grove, Black Citadel, Rata Sum) and the game blackscreened out every single time within SECONDS. Yep, it didn’t even run for a minute. After working fine for about an hour without blackscreeningpre-patch, even in instances.

Knives Chau.4863

I am now ruling out any sort of hardware issue. I’ve found a spot that reliably, 100% crashed the game six times in a row, so I’m tempted to say it causes a blackscreen every single time. It’s west of Mount Maelstrome, when approaching the Sootberme region from the south access road. Also, a character I liked very much is stuck in a death loop of load in – blackscreen now.