How hard would extra maps be?

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

Yep. Even with just ONE guy, working on it 4 hours a day, 1 year is just too much. It’s like u guys don’t have a GUI-based system and have to code the whole map from scratch…

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

I hope you guys realize there is more to making a map than just roll your face with a paintbrush on top of some GUI-based system.

1-year is a long time, but on the other hand I doubt they have had dedicated timetable for EotM. Most likely it has been more of a on-off project which they have taken forward when ever they had time, because they never really promised anyone it they didn’t really need to push for it.

Also there was some new stuff in it as well and all kind of stuff they did in it that they had to test out to make sure that if someone goes into one of the wormholes he doesn’t end up in some weird crash cycle of doooooom.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in WvW

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

WvW has added a great deal of content and rewards over just the last calendar year.

Sorry, spit my morning coffee all over my monitor when I read this.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

in WvW

Posted by: deepwinter.9015

deepwinter.9015

Given how poorly setup your maps are, the fact that it takes you a year is just sad. EotM is a bunch of floating islands, how does that take a year to develop? Seems like your system is flawed.

Yep. Even with just ONE guy, working on it 4 hours a day, 1 year is just too much. It’s like u guys don’t have a GUI-based system and have to code the whole map from scratch…

Said the kids who’ve never once used 3D modeling software, developed a AAA title, or worked for a video game company. You both are going to be very surprised at how a real career works once you stop working at McDonalds or your local movie theater.

Attachments:

Azhandris – Sylvari Thief
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

yanniell.1236

Given how poorly setup your maps are, the fact that it takes you a year is just sad. EotM is a bunch of floating islands, how does that take a year to develop? Seems like your system is flawed.

Said the kids who’ve never once used 3D modeling software, developed a AAA title, or worked for a video game company. You both are going to be very surprised at how a real career works once you stop working at McDonalds or your local movie theater.

Ah, the young people, so sure of themselves.

[HUE]

in WvW

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

while on wvw subject. Can we get new wvw exclusive Legendaries only? Ofcourse it can sellable and can use it in pvp and pve.

R.I.P Kumu <3

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

You both are going to be very surprised at how a real career works once you stop working at McDonalds or your local movie theater.

True. This is how a real career works.

You’re all psyched to get a great job that you trained and studied for and are rearing to go create something awesome.

The corporation you work for has other ideas though. You thought your job was to create a product for your customers. Wrong. Your job is to make profits for the corporation.

So you try to do your work creating the game (for example) and creating a great expierence for the customer. However the executives of the corporation never hire enough people to do the job right. So you’re stuck bouncing between projects, never getting to concentrate on one properly so that you can create the best product for your customers.

Your customers become unhappy. They complain. Do the execs hear the complaints? No. You have to deal with it. So now you’re a customer service rep too because the company is too cheap, er… intersted in profits, to actually hire enough (or any) customer service reps.

You bring this up to your execs. They just stare blankly at you with $$ in their eyes. What do they care. Gone are the days of being responsive to the customers. For a corporation, it doesn’t matter. There are always more customers around the corner – or across the ocean (billions of them as a matter of fact).

So there you have it. The answer to why we don’t have more maps.

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

After thinking a bit about this thread I had to come back and comment again.
Over a year for a map? Seriously?! Aren’t you guys making profits?

Hire 5 people for WvW and put them in a room for 6 weeks. Then spend 1 month open beta testing and another month to fix the issues. Repeat the process every 4 months.

It’s an investment not and expense, if you care a bit about the long term longevity of this game… Just my opinion.

in WvW

Posted by: Dal.5872

Dal.5872

Well I have to say this is above all else what WvW needs. New maps!

Truly if it takes that long to make a map then they really need to develope their tools a little. In fact I can’t believe they don’t have map making tools, why not just develope this to be a wvw specific map maker. Then alot less testing will be needed, the developer should instantly be able to see all the areas siege can be built and what is within their range, any potential glitching spots through wireframes not meeting etc.

Just my 2 cents…

IGN: Dal Brinium

in WvW

Posted by: Paavotar.3971

Paavotar.3971

After thinking a bit about this thread I had to come back and comment again.
Over a year for a map? Seriously?! Aren’t you guys making profits?

Hire 5 people for WvW and put them in a room for 6 weeks. Then spend 1 month open beta testing and another month to fix the issues. Repeat the process every 4 months.

It’s an investment not and expense, if you care a bit about the long term longevity of this game… Just my opinion.

How is it an investement and not and expense?

Let’s do a rough calculation. 5 people, doing 4 month work. Let’s say they pay them 3 000 $ a month (cheap paycheck). That’s 15k per month, and total 60k for one map.

You do this every 4 month and only this as you stated. How on earth, will ANet earn 60 000 $ with making a WvW map. There won’t a huge flood of people rolling and buying the game because there is new WvW maps. The people who already play WvW won’t be buying that much gem store stuff with real money to cover those expenses. Just sayin’.

A Pink scumbag of [FACE] and deep inside a [GuM]ster
Mouggari – Warrior – Candy cane Avenger

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Do the maths the other way around. How many players mainly focus on wvw or play it regularly? How much do they spend in the gem store? How many quit each month when nothing new comes out?

Companies that last over the longer term know that it’s not only product development costs that you need to factor in, it’s retention, as retained customers cost less to get than new ones and are frequently a lot more profitable. So investing in your existing customer base is a good idea.

Sadly Anet uses metrics to determine where to put it’s resources, and it’s metrics tell it that LS generates a spike in demand- not surprising as it’s something new and different and people like shiny new things. Then of course nothing much changes in wvw, so the metrics say it isn’t as popular, so less money is invested, making it more stale, and the cycle of decline and lack of dev time continues.

WvW needs a total revamp with guilds being able to see some sort of score to rate themselves against others (unique player kills as a guild- which prevents two guilds arranging to kill each other endlessly to bump their score, points for capping stuff based on number of players in the area around the objective so smaller guilds can score points too), , gvg’s with tables and leading scorers and gvg results counting towards server score. People need to feel that they can make a difference and that they can see the results of their efforts other than some PPT that most of the server doesn’t care about (despite benefiting from it) and that is broken anyway just by coverage.

I’d like to see mobile cannon replacing trebs that cannot hurt players but do good damage against structures (so you can’t dominate in sm for instance and just treb 4 towers from safe spots in sm) and cannot be fired from inside a structure (so you have to go out from under your numerous ac and fight the people to kill the cannon).

There are many other changes that could be made to wvw to make things more interesting, like having siege have a hard cap of two hours then they disappear (to prevent 20 AC or 18 trebs defending one keep), increasing the HP of gates or reducing the maximum amount of rams you can place at a gate so gates last longer than 30 seconds, enabling defenders to have a chance of reaching it, keeps can’t be contested by one or two players (minimum 5, or one ram).

The sad thing is wvw is just a neglected sideshow and nothing we type here will make a blind bit of difference.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in WvW

Posted by: Reborn.2934

Reborn.2934

today a friend told me that in eotm , there are some items ( someone can buy them from npc with 25 badges ) where someone can place in the map with 1200 range and create indicators traps .

this is a great tool for every wvw player/commander ,because players can scout a place without be there , but …. there is not anything like that in wvw .

why this fantastic tool is not implemented in wvw ?

i really want an answer on this question

in WvW

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

Devon:

I get that it takes a LONG time to create a new map.

But how do you determine if that is the best use of time?
How do you decide if the player base (which is often not represented by the forums) would prefer a new borderland map or a big balance patch?
If and when you start working on a new borderland map, would you tell the population upfront (much like you mentioned you were working on a big balance patch) to build anticipation?

I think players want to know from the WvW team:

“What is the next big thing you are working on and is there even a next big thing”.

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Personally I think they should tweak the existing maps, maybe with some new themes

Red-Fire/Volcano
Blue- Snow/Mountain
Green- Jungle

at least this way not every bl is the same

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

new maps might stretch out the wvw player base too much and demand more coverage, which is already to stressful for many servers

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Posted by: Jugglemonkey.8741

Jugglemonkey.8741

To be honest, I wouldn’t complain if you just took the PvE maps, threw in a bunch of objectives to cap and just have the edge of the map be like edge of the mists, a floating chunk of an alternate reality.

Critical Kit, Thief.
Don’t follow me, unless you enjoy being chased by angry men with sticks.
Power Build Condi Build

in WvW

Reborn.2934

new maps might stretch out the wvw player base too much and demand more coverage, which is already to stressful for many servers

definitely new and EXTRA maps will create huge problems now …. all are asking for replacement maps of the existent with new design and game mechanisms .

personal i asked for merge of the existent home borders to one like eb in my old thread 4 months ago

check this map : https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/138329/new_map11.JPG

and i full agree of chris’s post under mine

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Posted by: Chris.3290

Chris.3290

We all know the WvW team is understaffed and underfunded, I just wish the leadership (who made their feelings clear when they put Scarlett material in WvW during the first Season) could recognize that they are frittering away a truly unique game style.

Team based combat that accommodates group combat from numbers of 3 up to 80 per a side, I don’t know of anything on this scale. The game industry is all aflutter over Titanfall with it’s 6 on 6.

Where else can you get literally hundreds of people to work cooperatively (more or less, depending on the server LOL)?

I love the PvE in this game, but I have gotten bored of it long ago. The unwillingness and/or inability to add new, lasting content has let the game get stale in the last 2 years. Can you imagine GW1 without expansions. $5 Steam sale says hello, but good luck on finding a party.

There are competing MMO options, there are more immersive RPG options. The one competing WvW / RvR product suffers even more under aimless direction.

Own this gamemode before someone else (Camelot, unknown project, etc) comes and takes the crown and runs with it.

PvE can be found anywhere, often with better storytelling to be honest. WvW, on this level, is unique.

in WvW

Posted by: Hamster.4861

Hamster.4861

definitely new and EXTRA maps will create huge problems now …. all are asking for replacement maps of the existent with new design and game mechanisms .

personal i asked for merge of the existent home borders to one like eb in my old thread 4 months ago

check this map : https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/138329/new_map11.JPG

As much as one map would be nice, Anet has made it clear that LARGER maps are not possible with current technologies.

in WvW

Reborn.2934

As much as one map would be nice, Anet has made it clear that LARGER maps are not possible with current technologies.

i guess they said in the past that they can not do megaservers too

all depends on current technology and how someone use it . technology in 2010 is different from this one on 2014 ….

ask yourself .how the hell the eotm is bigger than other www maps , a map that is a instance map ….. ?

p.s. in technology i count both hardware and software …

(edited by Reborn.2934)

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

WvW has added a great deal of content and rewards over just the last calendar year.

I think ANet is missing the forest for the trees here. Sure a few trees are different but the forest is the pretty much the same.

There has been virtually no significant change to game play in WvW since launch. Same PPT maps, same classes, almost the same skills/traits and the same overall game system.

We have seen balancing changes, a handful of new traits/skills, EotM (which doesn’t really effect WvW), seasons that are effectively the same old WvW play, minor changes to BL/Sanctum maps, culling fixes and WvW levels. The latter is probably the most successful change.

After nearly two years WvW looks almost identical to its release state. A player returning wouldn’t notice many changes in WvW and would still find several bugs that were in WvW on release.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

(edited by Straegen.2938)

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

Well I have to say this is above all else what WvW needs. New maps!

Truly if it takes that long to make a map then they really need to develope their tools a little. In fact I can’t believe they don’t have map making tools, why not just develope this to be a wvw specific map maker. Then alot less testing will be needed, the developer should instantly be able to see all the areas siege can be built and what is within their range, any potential glitching spots through wireframes not meeting etc.

Just my 2 cents…

I have trouble believing it takes one year development time for professionals to make a single map. With proper tools look at the expansions people have been able to do with Bethesda or Unreal engine games.

Look at the size and content on the GW2 PvE maps: a PvE area is the same size as a WvW map. There is about 50 of them, they all have many quests, yet GW2 didn’t take 50 years to make… The competitive aspect of it can’t justify why it would take 10 times more time to make a WvW map.

in WvW

Posted by: chrisgr.3849

chrisgr.3849

ok..from the moment like you have allready say that making new maps for WvWvW is hard and take long why dont you try to change a bit the curent maps?
many ppl have say lots of ideas..so here my 2 cents worth ideas

1) how is posible reinforce tower have the almost simmilar def with a fortify tower

2)how hard is to bring something from the eotm on wvwvv maps???items like sentry turets that will help some servers with the scouts
low tier servers allready have issues with scouts..sentry turets will help the comander to wach beter what hapens on the map
also make the champions on the towers stronger or scaled

3)you have make the 2 tournaments..why some players that spend all the day only on wvwvwv they will take worst reword from a pve player that will go on the tournament only for the achivments?
also how is posible a winer/winers on spvp tournaments to get beter reword -legendary- from a person that spend toons of hours on tournament?
i dont say to give them legendary but why not 1 ascendet item?
why you dont make a system that players will gather points inside the wvwvwv depenting on the time they play..the more points the beter reword

4)why you dont change the system of the xp/wxp/karma/gold whenyou take or defend a tower?the lower tier tower the less reword on capture and higher on defendind -the higher tier tower less reword on defending and higher on capture

5)why you dont implement diferent collors for comander tag?why a comander on guild raid dont have -lets say red tag- so he can tag up on a map and make guild raid and dont get involve with the zerg/pug/bloob comander?

6) also what guild is the beter wvwvw guild…meny guilds on NA/EU claim that title but how we realy know?
why not everytime that guilds fight dont gather some points and we all can see who is the best?
why NA guilds cant fight EU guilds??why not also guild tournament like spvp tournament?
if i remember the name of the game is GW2 no SERVER WARS 2
we can see who have the most achivments ..we can see the N1-2-3 etc server on ranks but we cant se the top guilds
give the change to the guilds to fight eachother even if the r on same server (ikn that have nothing to do with the wvwvw)

looking all those posts i see many ideas that you can work on then and make the wvwvvw even beter…but i dont realy see any aswer
is more bla bla bla
the only that players ask is a clear answer
a)yes we do changes-no we dont do any changes
b)yes we can do changes in xxx time -no we cant do changes

ikn i ask tou much and i dont expect any answer coose im sure you have read the same again and again and if you realy like to aswer you have do that long time ago and you wouldn’t let ppl come here and complain/asking for changes

actions shows that you care more about the pve/spvp and less about the wvwvw
but also wvwvw comunity is big and we dont realy ask that big changes….just some fixes on what we have allready

(edited by chrisgr.3849)

in WvW

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

First off the technology for huge maps has been there for well over decade. SWG maps are very big and take forever to cross with a swoop let alone on foot and have player cities. WoW vanilla had 2 large maps that were broken into zones that are still probably bigger than the WvW maps. There are tons of other MMO’s with far bigger maps so technology is not the problem, it’s been there for years.

The problem I am guessing is their engine. If I had to guess, they decided when building the engine that it was easier to just build separate zones connected by loading screens instead of coding a gradual loading system and dealing with the networking of having all the zones connected. It definitely has it’s positives as far as population management, less work, and simplicity. The map sizes are also probably a limitation of computer specs they are aiming for(Lower end) since the game will have to load all the terrain/texture, which is why Eotm can be a bigger map yet since it doesn’t have all the extra terrain that a ground based map has. The negatives to this system are very apparent though since the world isn’t seamless and maps are too small.

I’m sure there are a lot more technical and financial reasons for why they picked the route they took, but make no mistake that the technology is there. ArenaNet just doesn’t want to invest a lot of time/money, it would be a big undertaking, redoing the system for what would probably be no real return on investment. The options we have of course are A. Wait for a engine upgrade(unlikely) B. GW3 C. Another MMO to do it right.

TLDR: It’s not that ArenaNet can’t, they won’t.

in WvW

Posted by: Dano.5298

Dano.5298

Why not just flip EoTM with eternal battlegrounds for a week?

Would that be that hard?

Ev
[SQD]

in WvW

Posted by: Zee.1294

Zee.1294

Hi Devon.. i have a question for you sir…..

How you going to feel if you eat burger every day for 2 years?…..

Viggen ( SF ) warrior – JQ
Want some…..come get some !

in WvW

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

Now I understand this still may take a bit of time though they wouldn’t not having to be starting from scratch.

Why not just code structures into all the existing maps we have. It doesn’t have to be fair given there is nothing really fair about WvW to begin with. Every week a random 4 are taken and used as the borderlands and EBG.

Because the maps are larger, they should be able to hold more towers, camps, and keeps than we currently have on each map. Either add/subtract (or keep existing way points). Why not have more than 100 players per map given the size of these maps?

Might even be easier for world completion if all vistas, poi’s, and skill points remain in the maps as they are now, so those whom are in WvW can actually complete these without venturing into PvE. Add some random WvW related quests that dynamically change each hour for extra war score.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

We have seen balancing changes, a handful of new traits/skills, EotM (which doesn’t really effect WvW), seasons that are effectively the same old WvW play, minor changes to BL/Sanctum maps, culling fixes and WvW levels. The latter is probably the most successful change.

Is it even much of a change? Given that pretty much everyone has guard offense and defense everyone is pretty much equal, just like before the WvW levels were introduced, and thats not even mentioning the whole account bound kerfuffle. A good system would allow players to adopt different roles.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: Krumbotor.9064

Krumbotor.9064

Alright, so to summerize (by all means, if i’m forgetting something, correct me):

THESE THINGS ARE NOT UPDATES, THEY ARE FIXES TO THE GAME:

Culling
Skill lag
Orbs (putting this in both)

THESE ARE THINGS THAT YOU THINK ARE UPDATES, BUT REALLY ARE NOT

EotM

THESE ARE UPDATES

Orbs
Que interface
Badges Vendor (Worthless now)
Tournaments
Obsidium Sanctum (super minor)
Arena (small, but an update, none the less)
WvW Progression
Siege Abilities

So, looking at that list above, seems pretty paltry, huh? Now, compare that to Living story updates. Think about the effort and money that goes into that. Voice acting (there’s a lot to that). Programming all this stuff. Dungeons that were only out a month or less. Tons of instances. Major, huge, map updates. Tons of new skins. Writers. Lots of new monsters with brand new mechanics. It’s just really hard for me to imagine all the time, effort, money, personell, etc. that goes into all that, compared to orbs, que interface, and badges of honor vendor.

Updates.

That’s an absolutely valid point. I think nobody can claim that developing new content is easy, although many do in this thread. But if you for once compare the effort put in Living Story updates and the effort put in WvW updates you just don’t feel taken serious as a WvW player. Especially if you realise, how much living story content is only temporarily available.
Probably Anet underestimated from the start how many players were attracted by WvW since this game mode was pretty unique back then. Hence they never planned the resources for WvW. And now they keep loosing those WvW players every day.

“But unfortunately this is the real world, not some fantasy land” Winni Asuran Offspring

in WvW

Posted by: chrisgr.3849

chrisgr.3849

Alright, so to summerize (by all means, if i’m forgetting something, correct me):

THESE THINGS ARE NOT UPDATES, THEY ARE FIXES TO THE GAME:

Culling
Skill lag
Orbs (putting this in both)

THESE ARE THINGS THAT YOU THINK ARE UPDATES, BUT REALLY ARE NOT

EotM

THESE ARE UPDATES

Orbs
Que interface
Badges Vendor (Worthless now)
Tournaments
Obsidium Sanctum (super minor)
Arena (small, but an update, none the less)
WvW Progression
Siege Abilities

So, looking at that list above, seems pretty paltry, huh? Now, compare that to Living story updates. Think about the effort and money that goes into that. Voice acting (there’s a lot to that). Programming all this stuff. Dungeons that were only out a month or less. Tons of instances. Major, huge, map updates. Tons of new skins. Writers. Lots of new monsters with brand new mechanics. It’s just really hard for me to imagine all the time, effort, money, personell, etc. that goes into all that, compared to orbs, que interface, and badges of honor vendor.

Updates.

That’s an absolutely valid point. I think nobody can claim that developing new content is easy, although many do in this thread. But if you for once compare the effort put in Living Story updates and the effort put in WvW updates you just don’t feel taken serious as a WvW player. Especially if you realise, how much living story content is only temporarily available.
Probably Anet underestimated from the start how many players were attracted by WvW since this game mode was pretty unique back then. Hence they never planned the resources for WvW. And now they keep loosing those WvW players every day.

ofc they dint expect the success of the wvwvw and for sure they r unable to handle this issue now
but if you also see the players dont ask any big dramatick changes
they ask from the develops to use what they have now on tha game and change a bit the maps
dont tell that nothing that ppl have say on ther posts here is imposible or that way hard to happen

but the excuse of them is something that they need to have balance on the maps bla bla bla..we all know that this iss allready imposible when high servers facing low… +on EU hardly we have players at night
so forget the balnce excuse..

but i thing the one that the most players/customers hate is that anet dont give any clear answer about the wvwvvw issue
we see every week only upadates about pve continent or spvp

personal i will prefer 1 answer sayng “we dont care about wvwvw atm..our prioritys is the pve/spvp and the release on china and maybe and if wee feel that vwvwv is something that we need to deal will do that” so every of us will know what exactly hapens and we stop coming here and spam and spam over and over again complains

we kinda dont expect that something will realy change and somtimes im wonder why we even visit the forum

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

Why do I have the feeling we will have this conversation again in 6 months?

in WvW

Reborn.2934

maybe , but not with us

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

maybe , but not with us

and in chinese. :p

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Forzani.2584

Forzani.2584

Be careful what you guys wish for. We don’t need more EotM karma train maps.

No kidding. I still can’t believe that map was considered an improvement…..and if new maps are added, then older maps should be removed. Spreading a declining WvW population onto more maps is a recipe for disaster.

When someone uses the word ‘Meta’, a kitten dies. Don’t do it.

in WvW

Posted by: Andrew Clear.1750

Andrew Clear.1750

It has come to the point that as WvW has not received real updates since launch that we ourselves would not mind doing the testing.

I can appreciate that many people don’t like EotM, but don’t conflate a lack of updates that you personally like with a lack of updates. WvW has added a great deal of content and rewards over just the last calendar year.

Hopefully you will find more you like in future updates and we’ll continue to add to the game.

He has a point here. Whether or not we have gained as many updates as PvE, is irrelevant, because PvE has a larger active population. But, if you look at sPvP and WvW, they are pretty close in terms of updates.

I appreciate everything that they give me, considering I don’t have to pay for these updates. The wvw user base that is active on this forum, is starting to sound like some trashy customer at McDonald’s, complaining about everything at the counter. It’s freaking annoying.

Rant off.

On another topic, how about you drop some news on when we will actually see something new in WvW Devon.

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

The area we added to Obsidian Sanctum was in progress prior to the incident mentioned above

lol, I’m not buying that.

Much like science, you don’t have to believe it for it to be true.

LMAO, most of science isn’t even true, most of it is comprised of theories, that have not been disproven (or proven for that matter).

in WvW

Posted by: Mega Messiah.1734

Mega Messiah.1734

The area we added to Obsidian Sanctum was in progress prior to the incident mentioned above

LMAO, most of science isn’t even true, most of it is comprised of theories, that have not been disproven (or proven for that matter).

Not the same.

The common use of theory, the one you’re using, is just a quick idea that pops into your head that you think has merit or can work for something.

In science, something being called a theory is a concept that has been rigorously tested and, for all intents and purposes, has the best empirical evidence to support it.

They just can’t call it a fact because that would be naiive, since things in science are pretty liquid in the grand scope of things.

But things like the “theory” of evolution or the “theory” of relativity are as close to total truth as scientifically possible.

“73 + 22 = 100!” – Nexus

in WvW

Posted by: Peterson.8345

Peterson.8345

current maps are unbalanced => this is very true, all wvw players know this (it is possible to treb SM from red keep but not from other two etc….)
ofc new map (for example taking whole or a part of pve map) will result in unbalanced map, but thats ok the real problem with having (basically) 2 maps for over a year is that everyone knows where to put siege so that it cant be destroyed, from where to treb keeps etc.. what would introduction of a new maps bring? lots of new options and opportunities for wvw community

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

yeah agree. im programming too and trust me even 2d takes a looot of time. 3d is a whole other thing and does take a lot of time. 1 year is long but i rather have non exploitable maps and keeps than a rushed design. i think maybe they could redesign our keeps first so we got a little something while they work on new maps.
also meanwhile how about class balance wvw a little more GWEN still ruling TREM still not really needed at all….

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

i think maybe they could redesign our keeps first so we got a little something while they work on new maps.

Indeed they could do this.

One thing they could do is make walls higher so that a zerg worth’s of aoe cannot take you down whilst using the cannons/oil/mortar/AC.

Make it so that the enemy have to build ACs to take down your siege. This would mean better defense of all towers, a zerg would have to put in more effort to take a keep, use more supply.

But again, the community have given the dev all these and more suggestions, it is now up to the dev to do something about it.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

in WvW

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Guys.. remember the time when you had to carry an orb to your base.. and the rush you got when you looked back an saw 50 people chasing you?

yeah.. those 2 weeks were awesome!

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in WvW

Posted by: PacoXI.7690

PacoXI.7690

We don’t need have to get new maps, just additions to the current ones like the ruins in the BLs instead of the giant lake that was there. That didn’t take a year to design did it?

Remember orbs, terrible…but I’ll take anything to changes WVW up a little bit. Give the orbs PVE buffs instead of WVW buffs, I honestly don’t care. Orbs at least gave people a reason to defend.

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

I never got to play the orbs meta sadly. I do remember an old interview where an Anet dev said they would bring them back in a different way.

Nothing was done, obviously. They are just letting WvW die slowly with its flawed mechanics.

in WvW

Posted by: PacoXI.7690

PacoXI.7690

The Ruins+Bloodlust buff took the place of the orbs but its really not the same. Taking an orb required that you hold a keep and had a group capable of surviving the run from north camp to your keep.

The only really issue the orbs that I could remember had to deal with hacks and how OP the buffs were OP and people hacked tell hell out of the orbs. Maybe someone remembers other issues.

in WvW

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

The problem with orbs was that it benefited the team that was already winning. The vast majority of the time, the same server would own all three orbs. Not coincidentally, it was the winning server. So all the orbs did was make it harder for the losing servers.

I do miss the orbs though. It was nice having a capture the flag game lol. Bloodlust ruins are boring and people rarely do them.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

in WvW

Posted by: Gigiobalt.7625

Gigiobalt.7625

It has come to the point that as WvW has not received real updates since launch that we ourselves would not mind doing the testing.

I can appreciate that many people don’t like EotM, but don’t conflate a lack of updates that you personally like with a lack of updates. WvW has added a great deal of content and rewards over just the last calendar year.

Hopefully you will find more you like in future updates and we’ll continue to add to the game.

Talking about EotM being a WvW update is just silly. Dont get me wrong, but EotM have NOTHING to do with WvW.

EotM have close to non existent impact in real matchups. Actually, EotM drain players from the game mode to a big and pointless free for all.

EotM have nothing to do with the weekly matchup. No server rivalry, no real score system to the real matchup… EotM means close to nothing to WvW scene.

How can you say that “World vs World vs World” has added a great deal of content when you drain players from the game mode to a map where the “worlds” (AkA servers) are not there?

Seriously.. when I see a comment like this it just makes clear how ANET deals with wvw scene.
And what to say about megaservers and how it hurts the recruitment scene in general?
And the lack of support to GvGs on the game called GUILD WARS? (dont try to fool anyone with Obsidiam Sanctum, we need a real game mode that allows guilds to fight across tiers)

seriously………

really… i was thinking the same, how can you talk of wvwvw map with this map out PPT? out of the system? its a FFA pve map. if so , put that in the PPT and we will start see what change. At least you can say you are working on PTT tweaking.

Thanks God I’m not the only one thinking that way. EotM was suppose to improve the WvW experience, to bring something new. Instead of that, EotM is a place for pvers farming karma and low levels. It’s a huge karma training, nothing else. Why? Why waste almost one year to make something new about WvW, that became pve stuff after one month. I mean, it would be way more easier just make a new way to give people karma. Add a massive amount of karma as a reward for world bosses/temples, nerf the karma given on WvW. I see WvW players with legendaries and more than useless 5 million karma. WvW players are not there for karma, they are there for fun, for winnings, for ppt, or even for just good fights. This simple solution would keep the pvers on the pve.
We bought the game just like all the pvers and pvprs did. We buy gems with real money too. So why does it takes almost a year to give us something new (something that at the end it’s just a new pve grind tool) while you release a new pve content every two weeks. ANet do organize and promote a PvP tournament awarding legendaries, precursors, black lion tickets, while seasons (that makes us put 7 – 9 weeks of effort) gives awesome greens, a tittle that all the meta grinder pvers have, an old skin with a new shinie that tooks two weeks after the season end to be really accessible.

in WvW

Andrew Clear.1750

Not the same.

The common use of theory, the one you’re using, is just a quick idea that pops into your head that you think has merit or can work for something.

In science, something being called a theory is a concept that has been rigorously tested and, for all intents and purposes, has the best empirical evidence to support it.

They just can’t call it a fact because that would be naiive, since things in science are pretty liquid in the grand scope of things.

But things like the “theory” of evolution or the “theory” of relativity are as close to total truth as scientifically possible.

Except tests are designed by humans, who have a theory to test. They confirm what they need to and it is up to the rest of the community to create their tests to either confirm or deny the validity of the theory in question.

There are a few theories that are pretty rock solid at this point, but the majority of science is fragile. That is why so many theories are constantly adjusted, or completely tossed aside. The constant changes that take place in science, should show you that what people believe (see believe) is true today, may not be true in 10 years, or 20 years. Doesn’t make science superior, or inferior, but it does show that people need to approach science with caution.

in WvW

yanniell.1236

“Majority of science is fragile.” Just…wow…

[HUE]

in WvW

Xillllix.3485

I’ll make a couple of points here to hopefully clarify this issue.

All of those things being true, we absolutely want to make new maps for WvW and when we have them ready to talk about and show off, believe me we will. It’s very important to us that when we do release a new WvW map it is a clear example of what we think the ideal WvW map would be.

So, coming back to this a month later, people are enjoying the Living Season 2, but competitive players are left without anything new to do. Are you working on new maps ?

I think at this point we do not expect perfection, but just something to vary the gameplay. We’ve been stuck in the same matchups for over a month and didn’t get any WvW update since the EOTM release.

in WvW

Posted by: The Hero Warrior Il.7681

The Hero Warrior Il.7681

Devon <3 I have missed you<3 Thought you left us all to our own thoughts and thats never good