Showing Posts For Fhynix.2105:
thief main here. I’m facing the issue, that burst damage feels pretty weak in the game (especially in 1on1), because close to every class has skills, that reduce their damage taken to 0, grants invulnerability or long blocks etc. This makes it far too easy to remain alive for a very long time, even under focus fire.
I do not propose to nerf or remove these skills – I know that certain classes rely on those as they have no other means to disengage or survive in the heat of everyone going batshit crazy and whiffing AoEs all over the point.
Still, it makes the concept of burst and/or +1-ing fights SERIOUSLY weak.
Let me explain:
- most of these skills have no casting time, thus no way to interrupt them
- most of these skills are unaffected by stun
- some of these skills can even be traited so they arte automatically thrown in below a certain threshold (Elixir S, Endure Pain)
- once popped, there is currently no way to strip these effects (except blocks)
Why is this problematic?
- first, it can be used to halt a burst, reposition, take a break from an ambush or similar
- all cooldowns keep recharging during this time
- with most skills, you can regularly fight back, retreat, heal yourself or whatever
- there is no limit for the reduction. You can take the full combo of all 5 enemies and not get a single scratch
This frustrates me as a thief, as my purpose is +1-ing fights and I cannot reliantly help my teammates to kill their enemies fast, because they start popping their endless invuln-chains, laugh at my damage and either kill me in return (warrior, guard) or recharge all their cooldowns and ignore me completely (ranger, ele, guard).
My question: Should there be a counter to these skills?
I’m thinking of a simple skill-property that lets you attack through or even strip these effects (similar to boonstripping). These may be traited or be granted additionally to certain skills.
I think this would add up to the classes of Roamer, Teamfighter/Offtank, Bunker and Support. We’d get some kind of “Bunker-Buster” builds, that are not incredibily dangerous to anyone, but that can prevent those obnoxious bunker guards, eles & rangers from holding any point vs 2 or even 3 enemies for too long.
What do you think?
Bonus: Which class would you like to see as the “Bunker-Buster” class?
Though I like the changes to the thief (cuz they didn’t destroy vital parts of the meta build :P ) I still don’t think the changes will fix the problem of omnipresent guards/DH in sPvP.
The only change that goes towards that is the increased cast time of the Spear of Justice (F1). Apart from that, I see various skills damage increased or have their cooldown reduced.
Please note, that Guard / DH is a very strong while incredibly easy-to-play class with too little counterplay. Although this is a step in the right direction, I’d like to see some changes that disallow a guard to be invulnerable/blocking for more than 5s straight (e.g. chain: Elite + F3 + Weaponskills + Heal).
So I was right – it’s a fast movement game-wise. Looks like it only affects shadowsteps then.
Still, I regard this as a bug.
Idea for fix without a rehaul of the whole system:
Grant invul or stabi for some microseconds on port, in a way that it cannot be abused by the player actively, but still prevents those effects from triggering. I’d LOVE to see this soon…
While I’m not somebody who cries “DH is OP, I die everytim Q.Q”, I still wonder what makes the DH so ridiculously popular and – let’s be honest – incredibly easy to play.
It requires only mediocre reactions to pop everything on time and the current meta build simply has an answer to everything.
- getting focussed? Throw F3 or invuln-elite
- condi burst? Throw F2 or your heal to remove tons of condis
- one strong burst class trying to kill you? Throw Longbow 4 for Blind or use one of your blocks
- enemy not triggering your traps? Throw shield 5 or F1
- wanna stomp or rez safe? Throw F3
- wanna kill stuff? Throw your traps
- Wanna hard CC stuff? Throw longbow 5 or trade elite for Dragons Maw
Funny thing: Except for “kill stuff” none of these depends on your build or stats Since so much utility is placed on the class skills F1-F3 everything else can be used for damage. DH is a top damage dealer atm – and if I remember it right, it was designed as protective, supportive class. Death is best CC eh?
My opinion: DH should be tweaked. Not nerfed but tweaked. I’d love to see some more skill factors on that class. The Conquest game mode revolves around capture points and this alone removes some of the best counterplay to sitting ducks – you HAVE to engage on them. The fact that they can just lay traps, deal heavy damage and still have the survivability of an engi or even more, makes it far too easy. Not to mention the pull if someone wants to use mobility (DHs only weakness) against you.
That’s it with the thread – /discuss!
If you are bored: I have some ideas for tweaks. Nothing great and maybe not the solution to the problem, but I was bored and wanted to get this of. Maybe I can underline my point, that I don’t want plain nerfs on the DH. I want to make it harder to be a good DH.
- remove some of the effects of the key skills and add them to clashing traitlines, e.g. remove the pull on F1 and add a trait “you can pull if you hit with F1”, but also do the same with e.g. the AoE block of F3 and put the traits in the same line so you can just have one of those
==> removes some of the flexibility and “I have a tool for everything no matter what I build”
- remove stacking of traps from multiple DHs. If one DH lays a trap where any ally DH already placed one, the first traps will be removed without effect
==> greatly removes the effectiveness of multiple DHs or at least requires more coordination / skill
- increase scaling of offensive & defensive skills based on build, e.g. greatly decrease the healpower of a berzerker/marauders build (looking at you, F2). In the same way, greatly decrease the damage of a healer build
==> no “jack-of-all-trades” is possible anymore without some sacrifice
It seems that gameplay-wise some teleport/shadowstep-skills are handled as extreme fast movements from location A to location B. I can’t truly tell which skills are affected, but the following 3 teleports are definitively:
- Infiltrators Arrow
- Shadowstep & Shadow return
So far, everything is fine, BUT:
This movement triggers the effects of the DHs traps Test of Faith and Dragons Maw, plus the Longbow 5, Hunter’s Ward.
This seems illogical and unnecessary, as the character teleports and should not touch the borders. Especially the thief suffers from less counterplay possibilities (against his hard counter… make it even easier!), as a Shadow Step out of or even right through a Test of Faith means certain death. I’m not sure how other teleporting classes are affected (Mesmers).
The same effect goes for Hunter’s Ward & Dragons Maw: Teleporting out of these results in a knockback at the target location.
I don’t see any reason for this behaviour to be kept ingame. Fix plz? .
Not reading everything, just wanna give my +1. Maybe any dev reads this and counts the +1 or smth…
This mechanic is broken.
Reason: Its too easy and too synergetic. The single weakness of the guard / DH is its crappy mobility. It should be easy to outrun and to avoid the traps. Its already hard enough to do this in a gamemode centered around capping stationary points that are mostly the exact size of a trap AoE.
Giving the guard such a powerful tool independant from build, weapon or utility skills is simple breaking the fairness of that class. That would be similar to the likes of
- giving a thief a trait “Backstab doesnt break stealth”
- giving mesmers shatter skills that dont kill their clones ever (not just once)
- removing cooldown on elementalist attunements.
Those things simply remove the weaknesses of the classes and should not exist.
I (thief main) just played a game as DH in ranked (matchmaking gave us 2 thieves + 2 mes, so i relogged). I am no good DH, still just running mid, camping and blowing everything off cooldown gave me 3 topstats.
Bonus: Seeing a thief engaging on me, just placing my traps, seeing him retreat. I throw my spear, he stealths & ports to nirvana. I press pull. Thief slides to me from somewhere behind me, triggers all traps and is then killed on teleporting of ouf Test of Faith. Glorious!
I would just love a simple Deathmatch Mode with the following:
- NO Capping or Stuff. Just Fight.
- NO Hot Join
Match is either won after whole enemy team is dead (no respawn then) or after a set score or timelimit is reached (here, respawn takes either about 1 minute or is only possible, if no teammember is in fight (as it is in dungeons)).
This may not be new, nor may it be very special. But it is the pure form of PvP which i miss heavily in GW2. ATM, sPvP consists of fleeing, hiding, capturing points or outnumber roaming enemies. Real teamfights of team vs team (5vs5) never take place.
This does not require player skill, it just requires intelligence. When you know, how and where to move, you win, no matter how bad you are with your character.