New class weapon ideas.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Seeing as how there are plenty of discussions already about class balance, the overuse of zerker gear, etc, I thought maybe a bit more of a fun and yet still interesting topic was in order. As I’m sure many of us know, Anet intends to add more skills to existing classes as time moves on in the lifespan of GW2 and we’ve already seen new, unique healing skills for each class, which have all, in some way or another, added new play style mechanics to each of them.

Along with the slots skills, however, there also lies the prospect of new weapon skills. But, of course, in order to gain new weapon skills for each class, new weapons need to be introduced to them as well, so what I wanted to ask everyone was what they feel would be a good addition to each class as far as new weapons are concerned. I’ve decided to put my own ideas below.

Guardians:

Guardians are a bit of a tough one, because they’re already quite a versatile class with a variety of weapons that fill different roles. They do decent ranged damage with the scepter, have good support with the staff, tankiness and support with the shield, focus, hammer and mace and good melee dps and mobility with the sword/greatsword.

What they’re really missing is a weapon that’s dedicated more towards condition damage. Guardians are basically the only class that don’t seem to have a viable condition build available to them – simply because they only have access to one damage condition (burning) – so it would be cool if that void was filled. The only question is, what weapon could they add that keeps in the theme of a guardian?

One idea would be to add bleeding to the main attack of the scepter (seeing as how scepters in general are usually associated with condition damage) and then adding the warhorn offhand as another means to add aoe condition damage (maybe give a skill called voice of judgment, which causes torment and weakness to enemies within 600 yards, etc). Torment would also synergize well with the scepter because it would punish movement, and thus give guardians more incentive to use smite. The opponent would be torn between moving and taking more condition damage from torment, or standing still and taking the brunt of smite, etc. I also think the warhorn would suit a guardian in terms of the classes feel and theme.

Mesmers

Whenever I play as a mesmer, the one thing that always grates me a bit is the fact that the pistol offhand offers such great ranged dps options, but in order to make the most of it, you have to pair it with either a sword, which is a melee weapon and thus kills the whole ranged damage idea, or a scepter, which is really poor as far as ranged dps is concerned and geared more towards condition builds.

I reckon a great new weapon skill option for the mesmer would be to add the ability to use the pistol in the main hand as well, which would be focused more on physical ranged dps than on condition damage.

Engineers

For me, the main issue with engineers is a complete lack of melee damage options. Almost all of their kit and weapon options are geared to ranged damage or support, with only the toolkit as melee option that is seldom used.

I think engineers need a melee weapon that isn’t based on a kit, and I think either a mace (which would be great with their shield) or a hammer would suit them as a class and open up melee attack options a bit more for them.

Thieves

I reckon the one weapon option that would be a suitable addition to thieves would be to add the sword offhand, maybe with more of a focus on aoe melee damage and control seeing as how daggers are already the kings of single target melee dps. Because thieves have dual wielding skills, adding a sword offhand would actually open up quite a few new weapon skills for them so adding anything else would be overkill. Aside from that, another option would be adding the longbow as more of a long ranged weapon option, seeing as how both of the thieves current ranged weapons can only achieve up to 900 range. Still, having a thief with the ability to stealth regularly and attack at significantly longer ranges might be OP.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Necromancers

The torch. Because now that green-flamed torches are available, a necro would look awesome as hell holding a torch, whether it’s in the mainhand or offhand. It would also be a great way of introducing a better source of on command burning damage for necros. Need I say more?

Rangers

I honestly think all of the rangers weapons need a serious overhaul, because as a class they’re quite lacking from my experience, but aside from that, they do have a decent mix of melee and ranged options. Even their support is decent with a warhorn. They’re just not “great” at anything. The only thing I can think of that would suit them as a new weapon option would be a dagger main hand, maybe as a nice dps focused melee weapon option, and I can definitely see how a dagger would fit in with the classes feel and theme.

Elementalist

As far as I am concerned, the main thing the elementalist is missing is a pure ranged dps option. Right now, elementalists have good dps, but not great dps and most of their weapons seem to fill more of a “jack of all trades” role as opposed to being more specialized. I also see the staff as more of a support weapon than as a good source of dps, because let’s face it, it’s dps is really sub-par.

So, why not give the elementalist a greatsword that is capable of ranged attacks (much like the mesmer’s greatsword)? This would give them a more DPS specialized weapon option that isn’t trying to do too many things at once.

Warriors

Warriors are probably the hardest class to think of new weapon options for, because as it is they already have access to the greatest variety, and can fill just about every use imaginable. I honestly can’t think of a new weapon idea for warriors out of the existing set that wouldn’t interrupt their theme or image or that they don’t already have, so maybe someone else can think of something.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Honestly, I think it should be more like:

Warrior

They already have the largest weapon selection, so they require fewer new options than everyone else. Give them a torch and call it a day.

Guardian

Guardians lack a condition weapon. Give them a bleed-stacking MH Axe (melee). Also add in Warhorn and one or more true ranged 2h weapons (shortbow, longbow, and/or rifle). Dagger could also make for a nice mid-ranged throwing weapon.

Ranger

Most ranger weapons do need an overhaul for PvE/WvW. They’re amazing in more solo-oriented activities (sPvP/tPvP and solo PvE) but profoundly lacking in group or large scale scenarios. They need more support capabilities.

Consider Rifle, MH/OH Pistol, MH Dagger, OH Sword, and (Druidic Support) Staff for new weapons.

Thief

Thieves are lacking in terms of a single-target ranged burst weapon. Rifle would fill this void nicely.

Pushing the magical (shadow arts) part of the Thief forward would also be nice: Staff, Scepter, and Focus could all work as utility, support, and/or manipulation weapons.

Engineer

Hammer is an obvious choice for damage and control. Mace and Torch are also obvious choices. But really – Engineers could plausibly tweak any weapon to meet their needs.

Elementalist

Elementalist could benefit from simply having more weapons available. Anything will do, but MH/OH Sword (single target melee burst and mobility), Torch (OH conditions and control), and some form of bow or rifle (2h ranged single target burst) would probably be the most effective additions.

Necromancer

Necromancers need a mobility option as well as strong non-condition builds. I suggest GS (mobility, single target burst), OH Axe, Rifle (Mobility, cooldown-based non-condition burst), and OH Torch (for the condition lovers).

Mesmer

Mesmer weapons are pretty strong overall. I say that they should prioritize new offhands and two-handed weapons to create new and interesting phantasms. Warhorn, Shield, Rifle, SB and/or LB, and, of course, MH Pistol would all be welcome.

New Weapon Types

I’d like to see:

Greataxe (Land) – Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Necromancer

Polearm (Land) – Everyone

Orb (“Two-handed focus”) (Land) – Guardian, Mesmer, Necromancer, Elementalist, Engineer, Thief

Whip/Chain (MH/OH) (Land) – Everyone

Crossbow (Land) – Everyone

Javelin (Land) – Everyone

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Hey there I’ve made my own post (https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Existing-weapons-on-classes/first#post3493083) about adding existing weapons to classes we have now:

Warrior

They already have the largest weapon selection, so they require fewer new options than everyone else. Give them a torch and call it a day.

I would actually say: give them a staff for melee.

Guardian

Guardians lack a condition weapon. Give them a bleed-stacking MH Axe (melee). Also add in Warhorn and one or more true ranged 2h weapons (shortbow, longbow, and/or rifle). Dagger could also make for a nice mid-ranged throwing weapon.

I agree with a warhorn, maybe with some healing options, regeneration… Would also give them a sword off-hand and maybe a longbow (blue fire themed), so they finally have a reliable range weapon.

Ranger

Most ranger weapons do need an overhaul for PvE/WvW. They’re amazing in more solo-oriented activities (sPvP/tPvP and solo PvE) but profoundly lacking in group or large scale scenarios. They need more support capabilities.

Consider Rifle, MH/OH Pistol, MH Dagger, OH Sword, and (Druidic Support) Staff for new weapons.

Things I wouldn’t add from your list: Rifle (basically already have that in the form of a longbow), offhand pistol. Things I would add: MH pistol, OH sword and a staff like you pictured it. On top, a focus with druidic/nature magic.

Thief

Thieves are lacking in terms of a single-target ranged burst weapon. Rifle would fill this void nicely.

Pushing the magical (shadow arts) part of the Thief forward would also be nice: Staff, Scepter, and Focus could all work as utility, support, and/or manipulation weapons.

I agree adding a Rifle. But I also see a place for Axe MH as an executioner’s weapon. Sword offhand would be cool too. Your idea for shadow arts sounds cool, but I don’t really know what it would mean. Shadow arts in GW1 (Assassin) were not really magic-themed, more like occult arts.

Engineer

Hammer is an obvious choice for damage and control. Mace and Torch are also obvious choices. But really – Engineers could plausibly tweak any weapon to meet their needs.

Hammer. Mace MH/OH. I also see Axe OH. :P

Elementalist

Elementalist could benefit from simply having more weapons available. Anything will do, but MH/OH Sword (single target melee burst and mobility), Torch (OH conditions and control), and some form of bow or rifle (2h ranged single target burst) would probably be the most effective additions.

MH/OH Sword, count me in! Torch is something I didn’t think about, but I think it fits. And my idea is a longbow/shortbow with magical projectiles based on the attunement.

Necromancer

Necromancers need a mobility option as well as strong non-condition builds. I suggest GS (mobility, single target burst), OH Axe, Rifle (Mobility, cooldown-based non-condition burst), and OH Torch (for the condition lovers).

My necro suggestions were a little different. When I picture the necro, I see it as a tendril of Death in this world, a taker of life. Greatsword, Sword MH and Pistol MH all fit this dark theme. Rifle seems a little odd to me though. Axe OH/ Torch OH are possible.

Mesmer

Mesmer weapons are pretty strong overall. I say that they should prioritize new offhands and two-handed weapons to create new and interesting phantasms. Warhorn, Shield, Rifle, SB and/or LB, and, of course, MH Pistol would all be welcome.

I prioritized MH pistol and Longbow/shortbow, both with illusionary effects. I don’t really see Shield, Rifle on a mesmer. Warhorn maybe.

New Weapon Types

I’d like to see:

Greataxe (Land) – Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Necromancer

Polearm (Land) – Everyone

Orb (“Two-handed focus”) (Land) – Guardian, Mesmer, Necromancer, Elementalist, Engineer, Thief

Whip/Chain (MH/OH) (Land) – Everyone

Crossbow (Land) – Everyone

Javelin (Land) – Everyone

[/quote]

I think adding new weapon types are something which will have to wait a while longer. They take a lot more work than letting players use existing ones, because making new types of weapons, would require them to make new weapon skins aswell.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Guardians lack a condition weapon. Give them a bleed-stacking MH Axe (melee). Also add in Warhorn and one or more true ranged 2h weapons (shortbow, longbow, and/or rifle). Dagger could also make for a nice mid-ranged throwing weapon

I honestly don’t think daggers or bows would suit a guardian’s theme. A sword offhand would be interesting though and axes could work. I just think scepter should rather be reworked as a ranged weapon rather than introducing a new one which doesn’t really fit with the guardian’s feel as a class.

Ranger

I like the idea of the staff for a ranger, to give them a more druidic feel build option. Nice!

Thief

Thieves already have a ranged burst damage option with dual pistols (unload). Considering you can spam it, they don’t need anything else with regards to that. As for shadow magic or arts, there’s nothing to suggest that thieves can or do use magic. Their entire premise is about traps, tricks and subterfuge. Even the skill shadowstep implies a fast, stealthy movement rather than the use of magic.

I also don’t think we should add any large two handed weapons to their repertoire because it makes sense for the thief to wield smaller weapons that are easy to conceal. Even my suggestion for the longbow was off. The sword offhand would make sense though and would synergize nicely with their dual wielding by opening up more options.

Elementalist

I disagree with this. As it is, elementalists already have the most weapon skills in the game. You need to keep in mind that because of their elemental attunements, one weapon gives them 4x the amount of weapon skills that they’d give any other class so even adding just one new two-handed weapon would effectively give 20 new weapon skills. This is why eles have the fewest weapon options (aside form engineers) and rightly so.

Necromancer

I don’t see rifles or greatswords working for necros. It just doesn’t strike me as something that would fall in with the occultist theme. I do see torches and offhand axes working.

Mesmer

The whole theme of a mesmer is that they’re illusionary duelists, so their weapons should fit with the theme of dueling, or illusions. Shields, rifles and bows certainly don’t seem to fit either theme, whereas pistols, swords or even daggers make much more sense.

As for new weapons, considering it took Anet a year just to add one new heal skill for each class, I don’t expect they’ll add new weapons just yet, because that would involve a lot of itemization on top of adding new skills. It’s more likely to see existing weapons become available for new classes long before that.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

I really want to see weapons used differently than they are now:

• Melee staff for warrior; control and boons, like a pseudo-banner
  • OH harhorn for engineer; “noise:” aoe confusion and torment
  • Rifle for thief; bullet paths create linear combo fields
  • Shield for mesmer; reflection, retaliation via signets on weapon bar
  • Greatsword for necro; minion wields it in your place while you channel
  • OH pistol for elementalist; piercing shot summons elemental briefly behind foe
  • MH shield for guardian; aoe push/pull combo, and ride shield as skidding closer
  • MH warhorn for ranger; critter autoattack? yes, please!
I should be writing.

(edited by Gulesave.5073)

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Me still wants a fan for the mesma :o

http://images.v-media.eu/guild-wars-2/Mesmer.jpg

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Elementalist

I disagree with this. As it is, elementalists already have the most weapon skills in the game. You need to keep in mind that because of their elemental attunements, one weapon gives them 4x the amount of weapon skills that they’d give any other class so even adding just one new two-handed weapon would effectively give 20 new weapon skills. This is why eles have the fewest weapon options (aside form engineers) and rightly so.

Can we NOT base our opinion on a (false) perceived advantage. Yes, Elementalists get 4x the skills from one weapon set as compared to another profession. No, they do not get 4x weapon skills the skills of another profession – unless they go full Conjures, which would be exceedingly bad. They get twice the weapon skills of other professions in exchange for having roughly twice the average weapon skill cooldowns, weaker, more dedicated weapon cooldown traits, lower average utility per skill, often lower reliable damage output per skill, and for being hard-locked into one weapon set (which keeps them locked into one general range).

So no, they do not deserve to be cheated out of new weapon sets in the future just because their profession mechanic gives them more skills:

The fact that they have “the most weapon skills in the game” is not relevant to their needs. They still have unfilled weapon roles. They still have few build choices. They still have unviable/underpowered weapon options.

Giving them new weapons does not innately increase their power as a profession due to lack of weapon swap.

Giving them new weapon skills does not increase the number of skills in a single build’s reportoire. They would have to drop combat and equip the new weapon set to make use of it.

And, most importantly (and this is an argument for all professions), Elementalist players can, will, and have grown bored of their current weapon selection. If anything, they suffer it even worse because, like Engineers, they have an exceedingly small number of weapon sets available to them. To deny them at least a few new weapons based on your notions of how they should be is selfish.

The only way your argument could be applied to in any form of practicality would be to claim that the increased number of skills per weapon set makes it so that Elementalist weapons take increased time and effort on the part of Arenanet to implement as opposed to those of other professions. And you know what? Unfortunately, you’d be right. It’s sad, but it’s true. At the same time, however, it’s not an excuse for not expanding their selection at all.

(And I’m not even going to bother refuting any of your others. These, like any arguments of taste, are based on subjective, “I feel like this class should/should not have this because it does/does not fit my vision for them.” I will, however, say that a class’s definition is what Anet decides to make of it. And while you may feel that x class cannot plausibly be viewed through the lens of y, does not mean that another player will feel the same way. In a game that has been hyped as “Play your way,” the best solution may well be to allow everyone to wield everything (eventually) and allow the players to decide how they wish to view and play their class.)

(edited by Duke Blackrose.4981)

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

1. Necro great sword? i don’t think so. MH sword for necro? I can see that. offhand necro torch? yeah
2. Two-handed focus????maybe for light armor classes but not really for engi. especially not thief.
3. Greataxe on necro?ehhh…how bout we call it a scythe
4. MH flail for warrior, guardian, necro, and maybe elem. and mh sword for ele as well.
5. Light armor shield(Scroll/Inscription) mesmer, ele, necro, and guardian.
6. Rifle for ranger, MH dagger
7. Harpoons/spears/tridents available to all classes on land
8. i like the idea of a whip/chain. I can see it being used by rangers, thieves and eles.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Ranger dagger MH pls. Hate sword at times.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Can we NOT base our opinion on a (false) perceived advantage. Yes, Elementalists get 4x the skills from one weapon set as compared to another profession. No, they do not get 4x weapon skills the skills of another profession – unless they go full Conjures, which would be exceedingly bad.

Firstly, they are not falsely perceived advantages. It’s a fact that for every weapon an elementalist has, they get 4x the weapon skills for that particular weapon that any other class would get. Secondly, I did not say that they had 4x the weapon skills of any other class, I just said they had more weapon skills than any other class right now, which is a fact, and that is NOT taking into consideration their conjurations. I’m not sure why you’re putting words in my mouth that weren’t there just to supplement your argument.

Secondly, I don’t see why it can’t be argued that certain weapons are more suited for a class than others. Even though the idea is to be able to play any class the way you want to, at the end of the day there is still lore involved with regards to each class, and lore wise, it makes no sense of a thief to wield a greatsword (for example). In saying that, it is certainly possible to still fulfill a variety of roles with different weapons while still keeping with a classes theme and nature. For example, an axe can be made to fill a similar role as a sword, a scepter, staff or rifle can be made to fill a similar role to a bow or longbow, etc, so you can still give a class a variety of play style options without simply dumping every single weapon type on them (dual swords for a thief, for example, could fill a similar role to a greatsword on a warrior without actually giving the thief a greatsword).

To me, the idea of simply giving every class every weapon type is just a lazy way of trying to introduce a variety of play styles to a class. I’d rather see new weapons eventually introduced in the long run to supplement all classes weapon skill options, rather than just see them all eventually get access to every currently existing weapon. I also don’t see any problem in me giving my own opinion in this regard or why you seem to act as if I am somehow committing a sin by doing so simply because the topic is largely subjective. The whole point of creating a thread like this is to discuss and engage and yes, to even sometimes disagree but you seem to be against the idea of discussing because discussion involves subjective opinions. In either case, I never said your opinion was exclusively wrong or unthinkable, I just said I personally disagree with it, which is my prerogative.

(edited by Tenrai Senshi.2017)

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zepp Tesla.9742

Zepp Tesla.9742

My favorite thing of gw1 was the scythe, and I would love to see it make a comeback in gw2. Fits necro, certainly… Too bad the scythe-like staff skins and scythe-like effect on necro staff form an obstacle. Othes classes could use a scythe aswell, ranger comes to mind.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

If they add a new Necro weapon, I would want it to have a cleave auto attack, and fit the theme of attrition/anti mobility. I want a Scythe, but since they probably wont add that, a Greatsword would suffice.

1) Auto Chain, last strike has a longer cast with a lifesteal.
2) Whirl attack, grants lifeforce.
3) Ground targetted frontal attack, rips boons and applies poison.
4) Pull attack, single target, cripples.
5) Channeled AE attack, roots the Necro, damages and applies blind and weakness with every pulse.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Tenrai Senshi.2017

If they add a new Necro weapon, I would want it to have a cleave auto attack, and fit the theme of attrition/anti mobility. I want a Scythe, but since they probably wont add that, a Greatsword would suffice.

1) Auto Chain, last strike has a longer cast with a lifesteal.
2) Whirl attack, grants lifeforce.
3) Ground targetted frontal attack, rips boons and applies poison.
4) Pull attack, single target, cripples.
5) Channeled AE attack, roots the Necro, damages and applies blind and weakness with every pulse.

I like the idea of a scythe for a necromancer. In fact, an interesting idea would be to introduce class unique weapons (maybe one for each class).

- Mesmer: A rapier (not just a lookalike weapon skin, but an actual weapon class).
- Thief: A whip or claws (like fist weapons).
- Engineer: A shotgun (close range spread damage weapon).
- Guardian: A spear or lance.
- Warrior: A quarterstaff or greataxe.
- Necromancer: The scythe.
- Ranger: Sniper rifle (longer range than a longbow or rifle, but with slow but hard hitting attacks). That would really make them the kings of ranged attack. Lol…
- Elementalist: Maybe an orb, kinda like that idea of the two handed focus?

The only issue with that idea, of course, would be the large amount of itemization involved to create all the new weapon skins, so even if it did happen one day, it wouldn’t be any time in the near future. Maybe with an expansion or something.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Stillshade.7634

Stillshade.7634

I really like the idea of a specialized weapon for each class but I have a hard time believing that could be viable or balanced, it would essentially be racial skills for classes.

Maguuma Engi Evvenna
Things that go BOOM

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Taldren.7523

Taldren.7523

Old Weapons:

• Guardian: LongBow
  • Warrior: Staff
  • Thief: Mace/Mace
  • Engineer: Hammer
  • Ranger: Rifle
  • Necromancer: Greatsword
  • Mesmer: Pistol MH + Dagger OH
  • Elementalist: Sword MH + Torch OH

New Class Specific Weapons:

• Guardian: Halberd
  • Warrior: Flail
  • Thief: Chain Dagger
  • Engineer: RPG/Rocket Launcher
  • Ranger: Spear
  • Necromancer: Scythe
  • Mesmer: Whip
  • Elementalist: Chakram
80 Elementalist (RotV), 80 Mesmer (RotV)
80 Necromancer (IRNY), 80 Guardian (IRNY)
GW2: it’s like DAoC, but for the WoW crowd.

New class weapon ideas.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

As I understand, the ultimate goal is to give all weapons to all classes, though something I’d like to pitch first is the possibility of allowing one-handed mainhand weapons to have a full, five weapon skill slots of their own, this could open new options in combat and open up new player concepts!

For example, the mainhand sword could gain:

(warrior)
4. Guarded – Block the next incoming attack, if you are attacked, you gain retaliation for three seconds, if you are not attacked you gain three seconds of protection instead

5. Deft Strike – You evade for half a second and strike your foe, afflicting them with bleeding and cripple.

(Thief)
4. Riposting Shadows – Block and attack and shadow step to your foe’s backside gaining one second of stealth

5. Insurmountable Odds – Block the next three incoming attacks, for each time you block, you lose one condition and gain the following boons in order: retaliation, protection, and regeneration, each for five seconds

Actually, those two might work better for a thief’s off-hand sword.

These are just examples and not final ideas, but in the end it was meant to give some ideas.