Few people play female Charr

in Charr

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I noticed that on my server (Desolation), 9 out of 10 Charr I see are male, players that is. It saddens me a bit that it seems that females are not so popular, and rare to be seen, just because peeps at Anet put so much work into their design and everything. Are they just no appealing to most people? I really think they’re cool and fair feline counterparts to their males.

[Edited by moderator]

(edited by Moderator)

in Charr

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

There were a lot less female dwarves and orcs in WoW too. It makes sense that the monstrous or ugly races are going to have fewer female characters.

While on the same topic, I’ve seen a similar ratio in Sylvari characters, but with females dominating over males. I think on my young Sylvari I only saw one male player, and around a dozen female.

in Charr

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

Maybe except the charr females are really not ugly, they look graceful – there are maybe 2 ugly options (i love those personally) but overall I think they are cat-like

in Charr

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

I’ve honestly never counted them. Most of my charr characters are female though, as I find their looks and voice less over-the-top. They look less like monsters and more like animals.

I also stick to males with humans and females with norn for similar reasons: norn males look like demented action figures, and human females are made from toothpicks.

in Charr

Posted by: Cinnamon.3964

Cinnamon.3964

@ostracize: I played a FemTaur in WoW, which happened to be my only female character, rest were male. I play a lady Charr as my main, but I find their voice slightly ill-fitting. I also prefer my male Sylvari. My friends prefer male Charr and female Sylvari.

I like to look at every Charr’s tail I see, to determine if they’re female or male, and I see a lot more males. Finding a lady Charr once in a while makes me happy. I’m glad they aren’t overly sexualized with a large rack; the fluffy tail is enough to distinguish the two at a glance. I was pleased as punch when I found a heavy chest skin that was essentially a brawler’s harness (two belts crossed over the chest), that showed off the lady Charr’s upper torso. Not to be a creep, I found it very refreshing compared to all the other armor I’ve seen (sadly, my Charr wears leather trench coats).

in Charr

LameFox.6349

You know I think every crafted rare heavy armour chestpiece is pretty much nothing with two random strips of metal and a few straps holding them on.

in Charr

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

I tried playing a female charr, I really tried, but the voice turns me off. She sounded like a human female that has a cold, and most of the female NPCs don’t sound charr’ish at all. The male voices on the other hand(most of them) sound very beastly.

Also, the faces are just too cute, and the scary looking one is just horrible. That facial hair looks like if it was glued to the face rather than having grown, I’d rather have that face “shaved” just like Scorchrazor’s statue.
The teeth also are badly designed, whenever she opened her mouth to talk in the cut-scenes I could see that the upper canines were just as big as the lower ones, only that they clip trough the mandible instead of being on the exterior just like all the other faces. I haven’t looked at them while maxing their size, but I bet they pierce right trough. And that just doesn’t look right to me, why an animal would be “stabbing” himself? The similar looking male one(in terms of teeth), actually has the upper canines small, not just as huge to clip trough. Just as they changed Rytlock’s teeth, that if they were a little bigger, they would be “growing” out of his nose when he has his mouth closed. And have you seen him while he talks during the AC intro? Horrible!

And that’s why I don’t play a female charr.

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

(edited by Beyreva.8769)

in Charr

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I’m playing a male charr, being a girl irl. I just love the voice [insert white flag here] Along with that I love to write stories, and male charr just fitted one of the characters so well ._."
Friend of mine plays a female charr. Don’t really know if she has another reasoning besides the fact the name she wanted was female x’D

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

in Charr

Posted by: iiMulch.2138

iiMulch.2138

Charr female looks same as male.

in Charr

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

Charr female looks same as male.

It’s easier for me to tell the difference between a male and female charr at a glance than a human. They look much different.

Playable Tengu please!

in Charr

LameFox.6349

I’m pretty sure the only way to tell with an asura is to kick it and see what sort of noise it makes. Charr are easy by comparison, you can always see the tails.

in Charr

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

I play a female charr. I have little interest in playing a barbie doll, which is what you get when you play a female of the other races (minus the sylvari i guess).

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Charr

Posted by: Kel Co.2408

Kel Co.2408

I decided to play a female charr as my main character because of many reasons. I am a guy irl and I typically play a human male in nearly every game. I simply decided I wanted to mix things up a bit for Guild Wars 2 and play a charr. I totally planned on a male charr but I did not like any of the faces or the lions tail. After trying all the other races and realized that to me the only unique race was the charr. So I dared myself to try a female charr. I was surprised to see they had a thickly furred tail and much better faces. After playing to a dozen levels and some story of the charr I decided the female charr was very awesome and I did not have to feel like a dude who plays a female to be able to stare at their big things on their chest.

in Charr

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

On my server I’d guess about 1 in 7 or so are female. I always make it a point to point them out to my party when I see them, lol. The fluffy tail is the giveaway.

I really think they’re beautiful myself. I have 3 female charr characters and 1 male. I’ve always wondered if the percentage of females playing female charr is higher than the percentage of females playing females of the other races.

in Charr

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

I play a female charr (Ranger). I’ve heard a female charr Elementalist at a Claw of Jormag event (the charr female voice is very distinctive). A guildmate has one female charr (Warrior) to go along with his entire warband of male charr. I’ve only rarely seen any others.

I didn’t make my charr’s face look overly cute, but not monstrous either. Looks as close to an actual predatory cat as I could make (with horns).

I also play a “butch” looking female norn (Ele), and a human (Guardian) with as mature a face as possible (and the heavy armour helps smooth out the “barbie doll” look).

Female IRL.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

in Charr

Posted by: mellonkitty.6027

mellonkitty.6027

I love my little fluffy-tailed female necro-charr and wouldn’t have her any other way.

I also play on the OP’s home server, Desolation, and they’re right that female charr are few and far between there. So CharrGirl if you ever pass ‘Grizabella’ on Deso when checking tails, be sure to say howdy

in Charr

Posted by: Hyena.2037

Hyena.2037

I rerolled my elementalist recently into a female charr. It was orignally a male, but by I was getting frustrated by the physique I chose clipping through certain armors. While rerolling with different body types and running to the mists to preview armors I made a female one time on a whim. As luck would have it my creative side woke up to spin-kick me in the head and in the 20 minutes I goofed around on her I came up with a little one liner explanation for why she was such a runt (because I wasn’t paying attention to the slider, that’s why!) that involved some strife as a cub. The big brother part of my brain went, “Dawww! <3” and by the time I was done in the mists that snowballed until she was a fully fleshed out character in my mind. It’s something I tend to do to cement myself into the character and normally takes weeks or months…

Next thing I know I’m doodling little cartoons of her in the corners of my note pad during meetings and I’m paying 10 bucks for another character slot because I didn’t have the foresight to reserve any names that would fit a girly-charr.

So, yeah, my main is now a female charr, and I only now realize how few of the others I see are actually players and not NPCs. There’s often a sort of a nod or bro-fist moment when I run into another. It seems charr in general are under represented compared to the other races and female charr are the minority within a minority.

(edited by Hyena.2037)

in Charr

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

I’ve honestly never counted them. Most of my charr characters are female though, as I find their looks and voice less over-the-top.

I agree on the looks. The charr females are a fantastic example for well designed “beast people” while most of the male options seem designed to try way too hard in the “LOOK AT ME! I’M MEAN AND SCARY!” department. It’s hard for me to consider them mean or scary seeing as how they live in constant danger of serious self-mutilation by their own teeth. :p Trying too hard like that inevitably backfires and turns me off hard, be it in terms of scary, evil, cute, “manly” or “sexy” or whatever. It becomes a caricature.

The female charr voice could use more oomph, though. It’s not exactly the sort of voice that I could imagine bellowing orders across the din of a chaotic battlefield. (Maybe I’m doing the VA a disservice there; it’d help if our character actually had a chance to bellow orders like that now and then.) I’d like it to be deeper and with a bit more of a growl and military briskness to it when called for.

(edited by Chadramar.8156)

in Charr

LameFox.6349

Technically you can, if you use the battle cry racial. Well, not orders per se, but the effect is there. Very few games have what sounds like real yelling though, more like quietly pretending to yell which gets enough in-game volume to seem like you’re yelling when compared to other noises. It’s a pity really.

Also, I think it would have been nice if they gave us at least three voice options per gender per species. Maybe one for fierce, one for dignified, and one for charm – or something of that nature. It was nice having different accents in SR3 for example. I guess they didn’t really feel it was worth the expense, though.

in Charr

Posted by: SirDiealot.8672

SirDiealot.8672

I think this may be a server thing. I see many many charr females on crystal desert. It is obviously weighted male, but I rarely go far in LA without seeing someone playing a fluffy tail.

in Charr

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

I think this may be a server thing. I see many many charr females on crystal desert. It is obviously weighted male, but I rarely go far in LA without seeing someone playing a fluffy tail.

There are also a lot of female charr in Tarnished Coast, Charrs are fairly common there and the male/female ratio is about 4:3, which isn’t a huge gap.

Playable Tengu please!

in Charr

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

My charr’s female
Although I’m kinda regretting it, just because of her voice during cutscenes
In the open world, it’s fine, but during the two person cutscenes, her voice sounds nasally and has a tinge of robotness

in Charr

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

I have a female charr ranger and a male charr warrior

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in Charr

Posted by: Whatsinaname.8257

Whatsinaname.8257

I have a female charr, it’s my highest level character at the moment. I’m not really a fan of the voice though, seems more fitting for a human.

I’d love it if the voice was more like Sicaea the Shrouded’s (Ash story) or Elexus Shredskin’s (Blood story).

in Charr

Posted by: Flame Of The Titan.3649

Flame Of The Titan.3649

I’m going to shatter a mirror here for people.

When the female charr jump and have a weapon drawn it as absoloutley horrible

in Charr

Panda Shepard.1248

The clipping doesn’t bother me at all. I think male Norn have much worse clipping issues.

Does anyone here actually make it a point to say hi to other female charr?

in Charr

Posted by: Beyreva.8769

Beyreva.8769

I have a female charr, it’s my highest level character at the moment. I’m not really a fan of the voice though, seems more fitting for a human.

I’d love it if the voice was more like Sicaea the Shrouded’s (Ash story) or Elexus Shredskin’s (Blood story).

Oh my, I loved that voice, and I hated it at the same time as it wasn’t the voice of the female charr player. =D They should had passed the voices trough a mixer to make them sound more beastly, as they did with the male ones. Most female charr sound like ill humans.

Sometimes it’s necessary listening to the silence, it could tell more..

in Charr

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I love my femcharr and she’s my main. Idk about other servers, but on SoR we have an abundance of them in all shapes, sizes, patterns. Idk why you guys don’t like the voiceover, I love it. It fits my femcharr perfectly, although for my burly warrior femcharr I made a little while back it would be good for her to have a slightly gruffer voice, but other than that I think it works ok. Plus their bad kitten attitude was just what I was looking for

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Charr

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

I really like the female Charr’s voice actress. She has the perfection intonation between feminility and agressivity – she’s clearly a kitten as well as a woman.

I’m still having the bug in which even small jumps give the long fall scream, although update notes said this would have been corrected quite some time ago. Those screams sound really odd – like they belong to the male charr.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Charr

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

My main is a female charr warrior.

I think people don’t play female charr, because our society is still so obsessed with gender roles. In society, pretty & sexy=female while strong & cool=male. The female charr are strong and cool—and while they can certainly be pretty, they aren’t sexy. As a result, many male players claim that female charr “Don’t look female” or “Look exactly like the males”

Obviously, both of these things are false. The female charr are very distinctive from the male charr, and certainly look female—they just don’t look sexy. In the minds of many gamers, something that isn’t sexy (or pretty to look at) simply cannot be female.

Even many of the players who DO make female charr, follow gender roles. They make their female very slim, and choose one of the cuter or more delicate faces, because the female=pretty & sexy ideal is so strong in society. The concept of huge, muscular females or mean/scary/war-torn females still seems out-of-place to most gamers.

Lastly, I think players who hate cute/sexualized female characters might avoid the female charr, not realizing they aren’t the normal fantasy furries. These people are so used to sexed up female characters that they just avoid the “Female” option altogether—when in reality they’d probably enjoy female charr.

in Charr

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I have a male Charr warrior. And yes, he’s max-size, using the brawniest build available to me. XD There are definitely way more male Charr characters on my server (Tarnished Coast) than female ones, but I see a few around now and again. I love it how ANet made it so you could look at the tail to tell instantly if a Charr was male or female. You can tell male/female humans and Sylvari apart by their general stance (and it’s freaking obvious whether it’s a male or female Norn), but Asura? Unless they’re sporting an obvious female hairstyle it’s usually darn difficult for me to tell unless they speak.

in Charr

Panda Shepard.1248

@Weindrasi, I thought the same thing. Most guys want to play females who look sexy. Not the fuzzy awesome Charr.

I was actually pleasantly surprised at how not sexualized this game is in general. I’m coming from a game that was so ‘bouncy’ it’s ridiculous. There wasn’t any armour for females that wasn’t just so over the top that I couldn’t play a female character without feeling silly.

My brother, knowing my problem, showed me the Charr females and I had to play. They’re just so cool. They’re tough and wild yet you can make them brawny or lithe. They can scary or beautiful. I love the customization with them.

in Charr

LameFox.6349

Even many of the players who DO make female charr, follow gender roles. They make their female very slim, and choose one of the cuter or more delicate faces, because the female=pretty & sexy ideal is so strong in society. The concept of huge, muscular females or mean/scary/war-torn females still seems out-of-place to most gamers.

In all fairness, the ‘cute’ (I hate this term btw – they just have the faces of real cat species) options only exist for female charr. So anyone who wanted to have a non-monster appearance and play charr pretty much needs to have a female character, meaning there’s really no way to tell how things would go if either sex could look ‘scary’ and ‘cute’ equally.

in Charr

Posted by: Aryto.5873

Aryto.5873

We’ve got tons. There’s a very nice mix of male/female Charr on Tarnished Coast, and of all sizes, shapes, coats, you name it. Rarely do you see any two that look super similar, with maybe the exception of the “white tiger look” that seems to be popular around here. The diversity in Charr is wonderfully alive and apparent, and it is a good thing.

The “hotness” point is certainly valid—I’ve got friends who refused to play Charr because they wanted to play something “sexy.” Of course, even the smallest Charr you can make is still pretty dang big and strong compared to the “human standard.”

Charr have their own following, and I for one feel the strong, independent, and socially equal females of the race are quite appealing. My own female Charr characters are designed to fit their roles: my Blood Legion is huge, bulky, boisterous, and overbearing. My Ash Legion one is more average sized, light-footed and quiet.

·································•¤¨¨¨¤•·································
A R Y T O . S HA D E S T A L K E R
·································•¤……¤•·································

in Charr

Posted by: Graywolf.6513

Graywolf.6513

My guild is kinda weird, i play a male warrior, my fiance plays a female Warrior (but she made her own warband and has like 9 Charr, 5 female 4 male)

And then another couple, the girl plays as a male Charr, the man plays as a female Charr.

So, all directions are experienced here!

in Charr

Posted by: Armithaig.7395

Armithaig.7395

I have to concur with others and say the voice is the problem for me, I still have a female Charr in addition to my male which is my main. I hold no preconceived opinions that females must be “sexy” and I think the Charr in general, both genders, look awesome.

But the voice actor genuinely sounds like she’s holding her nose while doing her lines and oft-times comes off as snotty/conceited because of it. There are many female Charr NPCs that have amazing voices though, that I’d much rather have.

in Charr

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

I have to concur with others and say the voice is the problem for me, I still have a female Charr in addition to my male which is my main. I hold no preconceived opinions that females must be “sexy” and I think the Charr in general, both genders, look awesome.

But the voice actor genuinely sounds like she’s holding her nose while doing her lines and oft-times comes off as snotty/conceited because of it. There are many female Charr NPCs that have amazing voices though, that I’d much rather have.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one

in Charr

LameFox.6349

Admittedly she does sound like she has a cold, but then the male one seemingly has random snorting sounds inserted into speech as well, which bothers me more. The cold voice is at least consistent, so I can imagine the shape of her face just makes her talk funny. Not that all the other female charr do, but… still…

EDIT: Plus I like my conceited Charr, she sounds more amusing than the male >__>

in Charr

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I have only one Charr, and she’s female, and pretty cool/unique IMHO, although on the very “ugly” side of the spectrum. Basically, I took one of the ugliest faces available, and tried to refine it to avoid looking ugly for its own sake, but rather more ferocious. She also has the body of an overgrown ocelot, although her face resembles much more a chinese dragon than any cat on Earth. Mission accomplished, she’s scarier than most other Charr I’ve seen, male or female, tall, poised, even elegant. I made many male/female Charrs trying to make one that sticks and I fell in love with (both beautiful and “ugly”) and this is the one that has me convinced; I think I will take her all the way over 80 and maxe her, eventually.

I do believe that prettier looking female Charr are also cool, I wouldn’t mind creating a female warrior myself, but the concept, you gotta admit, is a bit hackneyed. I felt creating a female Charr that loves fire, ancient lore, and all things knowledge, but hates the Flame Legion (she also has the Shaman father background) was more interesting, especially since Flame Legion are such male chauvinists (as are the Sons of Svanir). If I had way more character slots, I would happily try making a “cuter” female Charr in the future, but the one I have is just so hard to give up, and I believe she’ll be a keeper.

Kaldera Flameseeker, chatting with Captain Weyandt at Lion’s Arch (Level 7 at the time of this screenshot.)

Attachments:

in Charr

vespers.1759

I wouldn’t give up my charr for anything. wayy too kitten :P

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: Akhet.6527

Akhet.6527

I’m as badkitten as any male, and I do it without their smooshed-in pug face or sounding like I’m drooling every other sentence!

Attachments:

Varien Sundfor
Council Leader of Flux Capacity [FLUX]
Tarnished Coast

in Charr

LameFox.6349

And your sword is even made of recycled materials!

in Charr

vespers.1759

I’m as badkitten as any male, and I do it without their smooshed-in pug face or sounding like I’m drooling every other sentence!

you look like my sister XD

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: Redbell.5763

Redbell.5763

I’ve noticed that too on my server. Charr males are a bit ugly in my opinion. Not all but most.. Females are much more pretty and their fluffy tales are just so awesome. But I like to play with females only (except for 1 male char that I have) so I’m a bit biased lol

in Charr

Posted by: Kiono.6187

Kiono.6187

I have a female Charr and shes beautiful.

Guild Master of Fined Tuned Clockwork (FTC). Necro specialist.

in Charr

Posted by: mischwoof.9785

mischwoof.9785

I love my charr! She’s adorable, yet strong and capable. :>

Attachments:

Nisha The Medicat [NEWL] | Lv. 80 Engineer | Dragonbrand

in Charr

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

50% of my toons are charr females

Attachments:

in Charr

Posted by: Fayne.8205

Fayne.8205

I have both a female and male charr, I like them both -shrug-

female charr was actually my 2nd lvl 80 and engineer

in Charr

Posted by: Krinthered.9763

Krinthered.9763

I have 3 female charr on my queue to level but my two 80’s are both male charr. But i have to kind of disagree to a sense of the “skinny is pretty themed post early”. All of my char are the shortest and leanest possible builds. I view them as cats and in my mind a cat is normally small and agile. Omitting large cat breeds that is. I commonly refer in game to maxed out size charrs as Fat Cats.

in Charr

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

It’s strange, on Tarnished Coast at least, I find the incidence of male to female charr to be about the same. I have one of each gender, with a strong urge to create a second female thief…

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!