In my view, Clock Tower is not fun [Merged]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

You know alot of comments(not only in this thread) mention how this JP was designed for a minority of highly skilled people aka ‘elitists’. Which not only isnt true it also points out one thing that many ‘normal’ people seem to completly miss(or dont wish to hear or accept).

The standard of skill in the ‘average’ MMORPG player is considerably lower than that of say 12 or so years ago and even by todays low standards is still lower than people who dont tend to play MMORPG’s much if atall and instead play singleplayer games and/or ‘proper’ multiplayer PVP games.

It is a FACT that MMORPG’s tend to be much easier to play than many other genres of games. So when people start b*tching about somthing being hard in an MMORPG, these so called ‘elitists’ can only sit back and laugh becouse you obviosly have no clue what ‘hard’ is for what ever reason ..be it ..camera ..crowds ..layout..speed..etc etc.

So stop whining and go try some more till you complete it >.<

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

in Halloween Event

Posted by: CMNico.2913

CMNico.2913

I have no idea what are you talking about. I really enjoyed that jumping puzzle. It took me about 1 hour to complete it.

After some practice you can just feel when to jump without looking, so norns and charrs are not an issue at all, but just an excuse for those who can’t concentrate enough.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

I absolutely love this jumping puzzle. The speed is perfect. I enjoy that it’s group based. After a while when trying you bond with the people in your group and are happy for others when they make it. The only thing I might change would be to give each race their own instance. At the very least make the Char and the Norn group together away from any Asura.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Anhellbro.7210

Anhellbro.7210

LOL complite this Puzzle in 2 attemts….. Its so easy….

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

What a surprise, whining about something “too hard” for some people.

First, let me tell you I haven’t managed to complete the tower yet. I’m still trying, in short sessions. I find it challenging and interesting, games NEED stuff you don’t complete on the first try.

Second… it’s not mandatory at all to complete. Not even for the “Emissary of the Mad King” achievement. You do NOT need it.

The latest MMORPG player generations seem to think everything in game must be able to be completed by them without breaking a sweat. I say ANet, do NOT cater to those spoiled players – keep on adding stuff some will not be able to complete easily. Something to look forward to.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: konggorilla.2643

konggorilla.2643

It’s fun. Frustrating. But fun.

I haven’t completed it yet though. I got to the top once and then…

I missed the jump into the clock face.

This post has been edited to remove a violation of the forum code of conduct.

(edited by Moderator)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

I stopped attempting it because well…I have very limited play time and with the frustration of being so blinded I am imobile because of everyone else in it. If I fail a thing no matter how much I try, I want to know it is because I failed at it, not because I was being trolled by the size of the characters I have no control over. I am not even allowed to say I don’t want to play with characters that size for this. It was decided for me that I must.

Is this going to be a permanent thing? Or is it here just for halloween? If it is limited then that is aggrivating as well, because I cannot decide to just come back when the masses have finished with it.

in Halloween Event

SolarNova.1052

Be at ease Efaicia ..i can confirm that its becouse YOU failed

other people have done it in the exact same circumstances as you. So keep trying

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Uuni.3561

Uuni.3561

4 hours and I haven’t got past the first vertical gear that you need to jump on…

Time to call it quits? I’m playing an asura and the overflows I end up on are mostly norns/charr

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Efaicia.3672

Efaicia.3672

other people have done it in the exact same circumstances as you. So keep trying

I dont have 4,5,6-10 hours to try. LOL. I cannot keep trying endlessly. I am posting from work even. I love jumping puzzles. I do not love doing them with multiple oversized characters standing on top of me and so do not, why am I given no choice here?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

I forgot to add that if you’re one of those people that thinks he isn’t fast enough you can always eat 4 or 5 pieces of candy corn at the first platform. You’ll get a 10% boost and fly through the puzzle. A spied boost is not needed however.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

What a surprise, whining about something “too hard” for some people.

First, let me tell you I haven’t managed to complete the tower yet. I’m still trying, in short sessions. I find it challenging and interesting, games NEED stuff you don’t complete on the first try.

Second… it’s not mandatory at all to complete. Not even for the “Emissary of the Mad King” achievement. You do NOT need it.

The latest MMORPG player generations seem to think everything in game must be able to be completed by them without breaking a sweat. I say ANet, do NOT cater to those spoiled players – keep on adding stuff some will not be able to complete easily. Something to look forward to.

I don’t belong to the latest generation at all and I don’t want it easy. The claim of that is as generic as old. Most players vocal about difficulties do have a very differentiated opinion on what constitutes as hard. I have been playing platform games since back on the Amiga which were ruthless and I beat them. Why? Because the chance to win was granted by the mechanics while the rest was taken care of by the invisible layer incl. QoL features.

That layer being visible and part of the game mechanic is exactly what is causing the problem. I would never blame my lack of timing, my lack of coordination and force direction on the game. But when among all these things to master I have to add mastery of camera orientation, acting partially blind (which is almost military skill requirement) and avoiding invisible collision zones then this becomes a very frustrating experience.

You are right that it is optional and in fact playing this game is optional. But that is not part of the issue, the worst thing which may happen is if Anet is ignoring this because some players dismiss these issues as non-existent or not as aggravating as those suffering from it. I want a challenge but I want it based on the same mechanics as they are in the world already and I mean that in an uplifted form so if it is fast-paced I am absolutely fine with it. But I don’t want glaring design issues which also exist in the real world also added in an ‘uplifted’ form to it.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

(edited by Ravenblade.7685)

in Halloween Event

Korrigan.4837

@Ravenblade – then just don’t do it. As I said, it’s not mandatory. There’s a ton of other content you can enjoy. Fact is, not every single piece of content added to a game as large as a MMORPG has to be tailored to be fun for YOU – there will always be tons of other people who will enjoy it.

All the issues you list (camera orientation, acting partially blind (which is almost military skill requirement) and avoiding invisible collision zones) are only YOU failing, and not the game’s fault. I have guildies who already done it, and none mentioned the problems you list. I’ve made it pretty high in the tower even though I’m not done yet, and I never noticed those problems either.

PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). Practice more, improve, and you’ll do it… or just do something else, as it’s not a mandatory activity.

(edited by Korrigan.4837)

in Halloween Event

SolarNova.1052

I just went onto my lvl 4 Asura (with smallest body buld)

joined a group in the clock tower ..there were about 7 Male norn and char.

Took 3 tries.

So ..no more whinning if your asura ..perfectly doable

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arrogoth.7085

Arrogoth.7085

you greedy (I want it all to be tuned for the slowest and worst player) types piss me off. Maybe I was meant to be hard? I have (believe it or not, I don’t care) finished it 12 times on an Engineer. Its not even that rewarding you get one pair of crappy looking boots and 10 achievement points. WTH is your guys problem? why do you want to take away my fun by making this puzzle easy? I LOVED the challenge and it took me over an hour to master. Its a huge game and this is a tiny corner of it that you are not good enough to do GET OVER IT. Do you see me kittening because I can’t get into any Tpvp groups because I’m not good at pvp? NO. Grow up please.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arrogoth.7085

Arrogoth.7085

I dont have 4,5,6-10 hours to try. LOL. I cannot keep trying endlessly. I am posting from work even. I love jumping puzzles. I do not love doing them with multiple oversized characters standing on top of me and so do not, why am I given no choice here?

Be faster? I always get in the front of the pack and once you make it through the first few jumps 70% of those fatty’s are gone.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: axiology.5807

axiology.5807

My suggestion: leave the difficult stuff to non-events, where people can play at their own pace, and since there will be lower concurrent demand they can individually instanced.

Events should be festive and enjoyable for everyone. You shouldn’t be aiming for 5% to complete and have fun while frustrating the remaining 95%. Not for Halloween content.

(edited by axiology.5807)

in Halloween Event

Uuni.3561

Be faster? I always get in the front of the pack and once you make it through the first few jumps 70% of those fatty’s are gone.

It’s quite impossible to practice the start in a way that gets you ahead of the group. Being asura I always die at the start to the acid rising rather than missing jumps because I have to wait for the big guys to move ahead so I can see where I’m going. By the time they have passed on I will die soon after because the time window is just 1-2 seconds at the start

in Halloween Event

Ravenblade.7685

@Ravenblade – then just don’t do it. As I said, it’s not mandatory. There’s a ton of other content you can enjoy. Fact is, not every single piece of content added to a game as large as a MMORPG has to be tailored to be fun for YOU – there will always be tons of other people who will enjoy it.

All the issues you list (camera orientation, acting partially blind (which is almost military skill requirement) and avoiding invisible collision zones) are only YOU failing, and not the game’s fault. I have guildies who already done it, and none mentioned the problems you list. I’ve made it pretty high in the tower even though I’m not done yet, and I never noticed those problems either.

PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). Practice more, improve, and you’ll do it… or just do something else, as it’s not a mandatory activity.

No doubt a lot people have done it, there is always someone who stands out as proof. You are still reading my post as “I want it easy” and that’s not fair because as I have repeatedly stated I don’t want that. Everyone experiences the issues differently just as every human being is different. The camera issues are even an acknowledged problem and it would have been a surprise if they vanished just for this content, the differently sized characters is a byproduct of design and would not be an issue for those having issues with if people could space out a little bit more and as someone working with 3D design for almost 15 years now it’s no surprise if geometrical issues exist they are however fairly easy addressed.

However as I have emphasized already it shouldn’t be up to the player mastering these three metagame aspects. Yes, I will go back and try it until I have done it but I will still come back kindly pointing out these issues. Because otherwise I am fine with the encounter. Besides if you had read my initial posting on this you would have seen that I am never backing down on a challenge even if it’s culminating into silly scales on a personal level. I am usually no quitter even if things aren’t perfect. Although I don’t understand why people would be so adversed against alleviations. After all it’s also beneficial for those already fine without them taking away any form of the challenge they liked unless these issues were part of it. It would be a win-win from my point of view.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: TheStentch.3768

TheStentch.3768

The Clocktower was super fun to complete and took me 1 hr as a warrior to complete.

1. Profession does not matter
2. Traits/Boons/Signets/Skills/Abilities do not matter

If you cant hold W to run forward while pressing spacebar to jump and use right click to turn this isnt the only jumping puzzle you cannot complete.

Thank you ArenaNet for making a Jumping Puzzle that took longer than 1-2 mins to complete and master.

In my opinion I wish all of them were this hard or harder.

OP has one correct point you will lose customers since they will get frustrated.

You wont lose the players who can complete content as they will be waiting for even better and harder content.

Solution – Make jumping puzzles harder and let the nooblords go you may gain a higher grade of player from word of mouth.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Wildclaw.6073

Wildclaw.6073

Either that, or wait a second and run behind the back. Both versions work fine.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cyric.7485

Cyric.7485

Events should be festive and enjoyable for everyone. You shouldn’t be aiming for 5% to complete and have fun while frustrating the remaining 95%. Not for Halloween content.

Please show me where that is stated in the MMO Rulebook because clearly half of this community knows how to make a better MMO than a gaming company with a successful MMO already under their belt.

Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: neon.4863

neon.4863

I decided to check my latency when connected to GW2: 300ms. I’m in South America. Someone I know who’s in Japan playing on the same server has a latency of 400ms. This may sound like just an excuse to be bad at it – I’m pretty sure plenty of people with that latency managed the puzzle – but it does add a complication factor mostly because this is a speed puzzle that requires precise timing. I got disconnected from the puzzle more than once, I very often fail it while standing on a platform with no visible goo, and that wreckage at the start after the wait on the first cog sometimes takes time to form (I can see it stalling, and it’s not a graphical glitch either – I’ve seen it form at various different speeds between instantly and hanging for up to a second). I also notice some players have the little movie symbol on their heads after we go in and some don’t, which is probably also due to different latency.

Sometimes, “be faster” isn’t an option. We’re relying on internet connections to send signals – if the connection lags or is just slower in general because of your distance to the server, you have a literal speed cap. You could try for hours on end to no avail because you just don’t have the same response time as the others.

So for me it’s a whole set of issues – including slow reflexes, bad latency, bad equipment etc – that make the puzzle impossible without a lot more practice than I’d be able to squeeze in.

For the record, I’m not a casual player. I love JPs, I love challenges, and I was pretty pumped about this JP until I spent 6-8 hours on it unable to progress at all and wondering where my skill had gone.

Or maybe I’m just an unskilled butterfingers, idk. I didn’t use to be one, though. Can I blame that on age? I’ll blame that on age.

in Halloween Event

Cyric.7485

stuff

I’d blame it on a terrible ping, good lord man, I don’t know how you manage! In FPS games a ping higher than 130-150 is considered absolutely atrocious, lol.

in Halloween Event

Uuni.3561

Either that, or wait a second and run behind the back. Both versions work fine.

You mean wait a second and die in acid or whatever that green stuff is?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

It’s simply great, and i havent managed to solve it yet. This mostly why i think its great. Games are too easy theses days.

in Halloween Event

axiology.5807

Please show me where that is stated in the MMO Rulebook because clearly half of this community knows how to make a better MMO than a gaming company with a successful MMO already under their belt.

It was a suggestion about the level of difficulty of events. From a player.

Please never work at ArenaNet if this is the kind of attitude you take towards feedback.

in Halloween Event

Cyric.7485

It was a suggestion about the level of difficulty of events. From a player.

Please never work at ArenaNet if this is the kind of attitude you take towards feedback.

Reads more like a demand or an expectation, not a suggestion. My apologies then, I haven’t had my morning smoke yet. -.-

in Halloween Event

Posted by: uncommonsavior.5710

uncommonsavior.5710

Wow so much anger this is comical.

I have completed the clock tower on my Necro 50+ times and on my Asura Elementalist 50+ times. Its hard yes , but not impossible. This is coming from a generation of gamers who did not have to deal with games like Battle Toads and Master Blaster where you couldn’t just load your saved game and have endless continues. Games were always meant to be hard and I LOVE the fact that it took me 50 tries to finally complete the puzzle but now I can run it over and over without falling.

YOU are not entitled , you need to earn your keep.

I’ve seen people complain about others wearing armor! Character models to big! Jumping when they shouldn’t be, game bugging out, camera angle problems and the best… BEST… “DONT CHAT DURING THE PUZZLE!!” You want to get to the top of the tower…. be a better player.

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

stuff

I’d blame it on a terrible ping, good lord man, I don’t know how you manage! In FPS games a ping higher than 130-150 is considered absolutely atrocious, lol.

yesss faith in skills: restored

Haha I’m so used to awful ping that I guess I don’t even consider it anymore. pls2b servers in my country, cry.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Murphy Nox.4876

Murphy Nox.4876

Finished it in under an hour, did you not hear the part where the creator of the Jumping Puzzle said “around 5% of the player-base will finish it”?

More than that will finish it because it’s not that hard after you memorize it. Not everyone is going to finish this and you have to deal with it because that was the intention. I will be disappointed if they lower the difficulty of this JP in any way.

I welcome this difficulty of Jumping Puzzles, this one was actually hard and it felt great when I finally got it down.

in Halloween Event

Korrigan.4837

snip, too long to fully quote, read the original

I’m gonna give it one last chance…

The clock tower has a few characteristics:
- It’s harder than your average jumping puzzles. This is good for those who breezed through the other puzzles.
- It’s in no way mandatory to complete the full Halloween event, or even the “Emissary of the Mad King” achievement. At no point you are stuck with “must do the clock” to be able to fully enjoy the rest of the content.

For info, I’ve started working with 3D graphics on an Amiga something like 25+ years ago, and I my work in part consists in programming real time 3D effects for video and movies. I’ve seen no 3D problem in this puzzle, and I play a Norn.

So yes, I disagree with the people asking for this or that part of content to be nerfed or changed just because they didn’t manage to do it. And I repeat, I’m in the same camp for now, didn’t do it yet, and I possibly won’t manage to do it. I still don’t go out of my way and ask ANet to nerf it – because fact is many people did it, some even repeated it several times, so it CAN be done.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sky.8035

Sky.8035

I personally don’t have an issue with the Clock Tower, but I have friends that do and I support why they have the problems because it makes sense.

One of my close friends in-game is disabled. He plays games with only one hand because he was born with only one and has to use a special type of controller that works kinda like a keyboard and mouse, but allows him to play games like this.

The Clock Tower achievement is obviously out of his reach due to his disability which on one side, I believe it’s really unfair but on the other, I’m glad they made it so that it’s not required for the Emissary title.

Take it as you will, but I’m neither for it nor against it and I can see why others would have problems.

§ky

in Halloween Event

axiology.5807

Reads more like a demand or an expectation, not a suggestion. My apologies then, I haven’t had my morning smoke yet. -.-

Ah… my apologies too if I worded it too strongly!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

Havent beaten the tower yet and it isnt the tower itself that annoys me so much.

its rather the stupid cutscene, that you have to wait for ages until you can try again and that i sometimes get teleported out to the beginning for no apparent reason (but that could be caused by my crappy internet connection aswell).

but its nice to see PvE-content that is actually challenging

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vim.7318

Vim.7318

For those that are finding it easy, try it on a minimum spec PC and come back and tell me how many times you ace it. :P

This event should be as easy/hard for someone with minimum spec as it is for someone on a high-end machine. If it isn’t then it is a bad design, plain and simple. My machine is well above the minimum spec but it is not an ideal gaming setup. Trying to rush the jumps however just increases the difficulty factor tenfold and I am sure it is considerably worse for other people.

They should have realised their chosen design would have issues on a lot of their players.

I am all for making hard content, but find a way to do it that doesn’t make it significantly harder for those on lower-end machines. It can’t be that hard to do, seriously.

in Halloween Event

Korrigan.4837

I’m sorry for your friend, Sky, but they can’t make everything reachable for disabled people either, or the whole game would feel completely dull to everyone else. And as you acknowledged, that specific achievement is not needed to complete everything else in the event. I suppose your friend also has problems in other jumping puzzles… best you can do is actually help him do them, by visiting him at his home and getting his character through them together with a good drink and some good laughs when YOU screw up too ;-)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: tyu.9470

tyu.9470

For those that are finding it easy, try it on a minimum spec PC and come back and tell me how many times you ace it. :P

This event should be as easy/hard for someone with minimum spec as it is for someone on a high-end machine. If it isn’t then it is a bad design, plain and simple. My machine is well above the minimum spec but it is not an ideal gaming setup. Trying to rush the jumps however just increases the difficulty factor tenfold and I am sure it is considerably worse for other people.

They should have realised their chosen design would have issues on a lot of their players.

I am all for making hard content, but find a way to do it that doesn’t make it significantly harder for those on lower-end machines. It can’t be that hard to do, seriously.

I play gw2 with lowest possible settings and i only have 20 fps out of combat 13-ish in combat. I’ve done the puzzle with every single race in game. Want me to make a video so you admit it has nothing to do with pc specs?

in Halloween Event

Ravenblade.7685

The clock tower has a few characteristics:
- It’s harder than your average jumping puzzles. This is good for those who breezed through the other puzzles.

Which is what I am fine with as well! I fully understand even the design behind this.

- It’s in no way mandatory to complete the full Halloween event, or even the “Emissary of the Mad King” achievement. At no point you are stuck with “must do the clock” to be able to fully enjoy the rest of the content.

Which is what I have addressed as well. Simply put I am fine with it the problem is that my issues have nothing to do with optional or not. Because even in an optional state they should not exist in this manner. So people willing to do optional content shouldn’t opt out on the basis that they can’t enjoy the challenge because it is buried beneath technical issues.
If it were a normal jumping puzzle I’d just come back when I got the nerves for it but for a seasonal one with a 1 year lockout? That’s preprogrammed frustration.

For info, I’ve started working with 3D graphics on an Amiga something like 25+ years ago, and I my work in part consists in programming real time 3D effects for video and movies. I’ve seen no 3D problem in this puzzle, and I play a Norn.

See, we are not so far apart then. Despite me mentioning gaming on it I programmed far more on it. My daily’s job is revolving around 3D and 3D programming (apps) and I am familiar with OpenGL. Now that we have exchanged credentials I want to add that I play an Asura. A small statued one even. So I am seeing camera issues and obstruction a lot.

So yes, I disagree with the people asking for this or that part of content to be nerfed or changed just because they didn’t manage to do it. And I repeat, I’m in the same camp for now, didn’t do it yet, and I possibly won’t manage to do it. I still don’t go out of my way and ask ANet to nerf it – because fact is many people did it, some even repeated it several times, so it CAN be done.

If you have understood my agenda so far you would know by now that I am actually not even remotely asking for a nerf
All I am asking for is that they iron out the technical/QoL issues for the next time while retaining the intended level of challenge. That’s basically it in a nutshell.
All of the things I am mentioning have been mentioned in chat while I have been trying this with groups. So I am not just purely talking out of selfish motives to have an easy game here. In addition to that the camera issue is known already and the effects of character stacking known since MMOs exist.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: jasonorme.5014

jasonorme.5014

I’ve enjoyed every decision arenanet have done so far… but this is by far the stupidest thing ever.. its not fun.. and you have to wait..
Doesn’t this go against everything Arenanet stand for with GW2?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Eroberry.6284

Eroberry.6284

They will lose customers because of a puzzle? Really? ahaha, wow. Well better get your butts moving then.

Honestly I have completed the tower probably over 50 times by now. I have over 800 bags, and you get maybe 16 every 2-3 runs. It is DOABLE. I think the whole, everyone in my way at the beginning IS the entire point. It is supposed to be hard. I also don’t think you NEED it for the title, as it doesn’t seem to count towards that achieve.

If it was solo instance it’d be 80% easier. If the goo wasn’t as fast it’d be even easier then that. Some things don’t just get handed to you, sometimes you need to accept that and either do it until you can or give up and move on. Not whine and complain until your given the prize like a child.

I love that it is a challenge. And I have been doing it over and over because I love it. Great puzzle Anet. Seriously, awesome. (Also took me a few hours to get it myself and once you do it’s seriously great.)

If you don’t get it this year there is always next year to pump up on your puzzle skills.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Vixena.3821

Vixena.3821

I’m sorry… but this thread is just sad. I’ve completed it now over 45 times. You just need the skill to do the jumping puzzle. I absolutely love it. It’s an amazing challenge that I’m glad is not catered to everyone and really tests your ability at jumping puzzles.

(edited by Vixena.3821)

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

I don’t think making things accessible to disabled players make them dull for everyone else if it’s done right – having two difficulty settings (with less or no rewards on easier difficulty) more than takes care of the problem without really affecting the challenge for those who want one.

That’s a suggestion, though, rather than a demand – it’d just be really cool and inclusive if disabled players were taken into consideration sometimes.

And for those who argue that it’d be insulting to disabled players to have an easier mode – it’s not insulting to disabled athletes to have the Paralympics, and if any disabled athlete is insulted, they can still compete in the Olympics. It’s just more inclusive to have the option.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Wildclaw.6073

Wildclaw.6073

I don’t think making things accessible to disabled players make them dull for everyone else if it’s done right

I don’t think that word means what you think it does. Disabled players can access the clock tower puzzle just fine. They may not be able to finish it, but that is a different matter.

in Halloween Event

Uuni.3561

I’m sorry… but this thread is just sad. I’ve completed it now over 45 times. You just need the skill to do the jumping puzzle. I absolutely love it. It’s an amazing challenge that I’m glad is not catered to everyone and really tests your ability at jumping puzzles.

Aside from the necessary level of skill and patience what you need is:
Good ping, decent gaming rig, charr or a norn, low population server, lots of time

I for one can’t even try to practice parts after the part at start where you wait for things to collapse with my asura. By the time I can see my character from the norns and charr the time is up and I die to the acid at the next jump. If only I had an empty server I could clear the jumping part in no time, it’s just that I cant do any jumps when I can’t see my character and when I can’t do it even once I can’t have any practice

And yeah, I did try to run it for 4 hours and never got past that part. Next time I’m near a door I go and take a screencap of my screen filled with charr and norn

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

I don’t think making things accessible to disabled players make them dull for everyone else if it’s done right

I don’t think that word means what you think it does. Disabled players can access the clock tower puzzle just fine. They may not be able to finish it, but that is a different matter.

Sorry for using the wrong word, English isn’t my first language. The meaning I was going for is making things possible for disabled players to do/complete, like you said.

Edit: I don’t mean the apology sarcastically, by the way! “Accessible” is very similar to a word in my native language but we use it more figuratively in general and it’s a word commonly used to talk about inclusion of disabled people, hence my confusion.

(edited by neon.4863)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Avalon.3069

Avalon.3069

This is NO FUN! You would have to spend hours of trying. They said GuildWars 2 won’t be a grind game but all I can see is hours of trying the same thing. A friend completeted this tower after 15 hours. Don’t tell us wer are jsut bad players if you need more than 4 hours to complete it. Im playing for fun and this is definitely not fun. There are normal palyers who also want to have fun and just don’t have the time or and don’t want to spent hours on the same thing.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: MrMT.4061

MrMT.4061

This thread is depressing.

I don’t have the time, skill or inclination to master this puzzle… and guess what? It doesn’t matter in the slightest. I like this puzzle. I think it’s great.

There are loads of other things for me to do in this game – not least, working on WvW, which is a game of organization as much as reflexes.

Sure, the puzzle is tricky. And that is exactly as it should be.

To those who are looking to bring the world down to a lowest common denominator experience, who cannot abide a challenge. Please leave. Please, please, leave. There are other activities for you. Do them.

As for those who suggest that because some people are disabled, there should be no activities which challenge the fully-abled – really? Do you really mean this? Should we ban the Olympics also? I am delighted that the disabled enjoy GW2. I will happily do WvW and conquer worlds with anyone, anytime. But the suggestion that the game should offer no challenge beyond what the disabled can master is perverse. The same goes for those with bad internet connections, and difficult family lives.

I am blown away by any mentality that suggests ‘because I can’t do it, it shouldn’t exist’. Do you really see this as a viable philosophy? Pause a moment, and imagine a world where this principle applied.

I realise I am promoting this thread by writing in it, but it’s such an appalling suggestion that I felt moved to rant.

in Halloween Event

neon.4863

As for those who suggest that because some people are disabled, there should be no activities which challenge the fully-abled – really? Do you really mean this? Should we ban the Olympics also? I am delighted that the disabled enjoy GW2. I will happily do WvW and conquer worlds with anyone, anytime. But the suggestion that the game should offer no challenge beyond what the disabled can master is perverse. The same goes for those with bad internet connections, and difficult family lives.

I myself have been one of the people talking about disabled players, but I’m an advocate of letting people choose the difficulty level, not ban the challenge for able players. As for the Olympics, the Paralympics Games exist for the disabled to compete on equal footing. One does not demerit the other, they coexist, so adding a lower difficulty mode – while keeping the current difficulty level for those who want it – wouldn’t really change the game for able players in any way.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: dithoricki.2397

dithoricki.2397

I tried this jumping puzzle out because I simply love jumping puzzles. I don’t have speed buffs and I play as a sylvari (I’ve also tried it as asura and made it). Having a speed buff isn’t required, it’s nice, but not required. Actually, for me it is the faster you run the faster your reflexes need to be for not falling off and making the jumps.

I do agree that the huge models of norn and charr make it a bit harder, especially for azura. But then, it makes it just more fun when you actually make it and stand there as last jumping trough the clock at the end.

I have been thinking that it would be really nice to have it instanced. So that you can run by yourself and not get “stressed” and covered by all the other players trying to race to the top. But, it isn’t such a big deal for me so I’m ok with it.

Also, the waiting times isn’t bother me at all. Sure, I’d like sometimes to start as soon as I get back on the platform and sometimes I’d like to wait a while but it just how it is and I’m ok with that as well.

Also, I do understand that some people (being it having a disability or just not the mind for it) can’t do this jumping puzzle. I don’t think they should make it easy. It’s hard for a reason. You’re supposed to feel like you’ve actually made it! Like it’s been hard! And you get an achievement and rewards for it. It wouldn’t be fun if it was so easy that everyone could get it.