In my view, Clock Tower is not fun [Merged]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ravenblade.7685

Ravenblade.7685

I would be VERY VERY disappointed if people just went there, tried a couple times and got to the top in 5 or 10 minutes.

Who seriously suggested such a change anyway?

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

When I’m playing WvW I’m really playing LSD.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

@Raven cries

I don´t think adding achievement for the puzzle is bad thing, quite the contrary. What i do think is bad thing is that the achievement counts towards the overarcing title achievement.
Though why i think it´s bad is purely for personal reason of me not wanting to see so much whining here….not because i actualy think people should be entitled to have it.

Also, cookie for anyone who knows where this comes from…and also let us thank god it´s not that bad…
“Jumping puzzles, fine. Timed jumping puzzles, fair enough. Timed jumping puzzles with fixed cameras, now we’ve dropped into the ocean of kitteniness. But then they hit us with a timed jumping puzzle with a fixed camera where enemies spawn in every time you fail, and now the ocean of kitteniness has closed in over our heads with no rescue boat in sight.”

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Replect.3407

Replect.3407

Not every content can be created with disabled and/or not so talented players in mind… So, are you serious? This clock tower isn’t anything that prevents you from progressing or having fun in the overall game. If you would stuck in your progress because of content you HAVE to do to progress, then I agree with you… But this clock tower is definitely nothing under that category and is just for fun overall.

Apart from that, I enjoyed it and have done it with 8 different chars (every race and class) overall 75-100 times now, just for the sake of fun. There have been times where I missed for whatever reason the really last jump through the clock, especially in my last rounds (so I’ve done it dozens times before already), where I still can’t understand why I supposedly missed it (Bug, Lag!?)… But apart of those, I really enjoyed it!

(edited by Replect.3407)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

The clock tower has actually been one of my favourite things on GW2 so far, because it was hard. When I finished it my hands were sweaty and my heart was racing and the sense of accomplishment was great.

This has been the most difficult thing in the game for me so far and that’s why I love it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

I was able to beat the clock tower in a few hours with no buffs. Yes, I wanted to slit my wrists many times while doing it, but once I completed it I felt great….and immediately went to do it some more to get the rest of the chests….

Oddly…I can’t even get half way through it anymore sigh

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kyosji.8961

Kyosji.8961

I also heard that Joshua Foreman was the one that created this puzzle, and only figured 5% of the players would be able to complete it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Brunners.7251

Brunners.7251

Yep that’s what he said. He created it with the intention that only about 5% of the playerbase would be able to finish it.

Acadamey Gaming EU [AG] twitch.tv/brunners90

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ravbek.7938

Ravbek.7938

I for one totally love this jumper. 6 hours of my life gone…have I completed it, no. Have I screamed at my screen and pulled at my hair…yes. Have I laughed…a lot.

I like having a challenge to complete which I find really hard, gives me a great sense of achievement when I do finally finish it….the harder the better, as long as it is actually possible

Favorite part of Halloween by far. Good Job Anet.

Cybek – Gunnars Hold
Wipus Frequentus – www.wipus.net
Rock Paper Signet – www.rockpapershotgun.com

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

The best thing in gw so far. Finally some challenge. It does get easy once you learn it though. Btw not everyone is supposed to be able to finish it. It’s an achievement so achieve it instead of whining.
I hope anet won’t change it in any way.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bluebird.1890

Bluebird.1890

This was my favorite part of the Halloween content.

I’m sorry you didn’t have the ability to complete it. I’m sorry your shortcomings instill in you the desire to project those shortcomings onto everyone else by committing emotional blackmail by trying to get the developers to feel badly that disabled people may not be able to complete the content.

But mostly, I’m just happy that Arenanet created this awesome piece of content. Thanks Arenanet!

(edited by Moderator)

in Halloween Event

Bluebird.1890

I’m sorry you didn’t have the ability to complete it. I’m sorry your shortcomings instill in you the desire to project those shortcomings onto everyone else by committing emotional blackmail by trying to get the developers to feel badly that disabled people may not be able to complete the content.

But mostly, I’m just happy that Arenanet created this awesome piece of content. Thanks Arenanet!

Holy Passive Aggressive BS, Batman.

Passive aggressive would imply that I didn’t intend for it to be aggressive.

If I could post a middle finger ASCII at the end of it without getting an infraction, man, I sure would have.

in Halloween Event

Ravenblade.7685

Yep that’s what he said. He created it with the intention that only about 5% of the playerbase would be able to finish it.

Huh? He said “maybe 5% of people” not “5% of playerbase”. It was an ad hoc guesstimate not a statistical constant. Meaning the real number is probably a bit higher.
—-
Still it’s not wasted content as everyone is able to try, yet it would probably be even higher without the technical issues in place which is not completely the designer’s fault but this is the first year so issues are expected. How many years did WoW have to improve their events? They still get overhauled a lot. I don’t see why ANet would be different here, any serious developer values feedback, positive and negative so they have a basis to iterate on their concept. Maybe next year the tower will be harder with the Mad King interjecting with a “Mad King Says” mini-game before you can jump onto the next piece? Maybe next year 100 people are allowed per game because some people don’t see the occlusion as big deal. We don’t know but I am sure constructive criticism doesn’t drag down on the overall positive experience for most players so far.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

(edited by Ravenblade.7685)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hylozoist.5210

Hylozoist.5210

If I could post a middle finger ASCII at the end of it without getting an infraction, man, I sure would have.

Passive aggression has nothing to do with intent and all to do with style.

The requests being made by and large are not unreasonable – very few people are asking for the jump puzzle to be made easier, instead the request overwhelmingly seems to be just allowing people to see their character through the massive norn and charr characters.

Because you’re able to get past it regardless does not make you a special and unique snowflake, requiring protection from all the mean nasty people who just want a fair shake at completing content.

Many people have no objection to having it be difficult, but the way we learn is by doing; and it’s not possible to learn and improve without being able to identify where the problem is.

in Halloween Event

Bluebird.1890

Passive aggression has nothing to do with intent and all to do with style.

The requests being made by and large are not unreasonable – very few people are asking for the jump puzzle to be made easier, instead the request overwhelmingly seems to be just allowing people to see their character through the massive norn and charr characters.

Because you’re able to get past it regardless does not make you a special and unique snowflake, requiring protection from all the mean nasty people who just want a fair shake at completing content.

Many people have no objection to having it be difficult, but the way we learn is by doing; and it’s not possible to learn and improve without being able to identify where the problem is.

Perhaps you didn’t notice that my post was in direct response to the original post, thus having no quote attached to it.

I said nothing to anyone complaining about not being able to see your character.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: chimecat.9082

chimecat.9082

I just don’t understand why the people who could complete this puzzle are so harsh to those who couldn’t. I haven’t seen anyone say they wasted a whole 20 minutes of their life, nerf pl0x. It’s people like me, who have spent so much time trying to do this that it’s embarrassing to say out loud. I’m not doing it for the achievement, my pride just won’t let me lose to a kitten jumping puzzle. My boyfriend did it in a couple hours. He’s really good at games in general, I expected it. I have slow reflexes and poor pattern recognition, but I enjoy challenges. I want to echo what someone else said; I would love crazy hard puzzles like this in the regular content, but not limited holiday stuff. I am honestly happy for people who can do this, but how can you not understand where we’re coming from? It would take me weeks to be able to do this, and I don’t have that option.
If anything, they could have made a couple of difficulties, like in heart challenges with an easy, medium, and hard choice. I wouldn’t even care if you only got the exotic/title for doing it on hard. But I’m left with the loss of more than 8 hours of my life, and nothing else. If I did beat it tomorrow, I wouldn’t be happy. It’d feel like having a tumor removed, probably.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Focksbot.6798

Focksbot.6798

The problem I basically keep seeing is this.

1. Everyone enjoys the Halloween event
2. Everyone wants to be a completionist and do everything in the event.
3. Some people are good at jumping puzzles/some people are not
4. The prior are happy, the later are not

Sorry, not quite right. It goes more like this:

3. Some people are prepared to spend anything up to 17 hours (based on the posts here) repeating the same awkward sequence of movements every minute or so in order to complete it. Others feel this is a form of (albeit self-inflicted) torture.
4. The prior are happy, the latter are not

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Focksbot.6798

Focksbot.6798

If I did beat it tomorrow, I wouldn’t be happy. It’d feel like having a tumor removed, probably.

In all seriousness, there are studies of the way games and developers essentially use advanced psychological manipulation to convince people they need to do things they don’t need to do. It’s not that they’re evil people who are trying to cause grief; it’s just that games are, in some respects, a complex dark art masquerading as light entertainment.

This means there are a lot of potentially amazing positive uses for games, but it also, unfortunately, leads to what you’re experiencing here. I’ve been there. Eight hours doing something, not feeling excited or engaged, just bored and frustrated with yourself, yet determined not to be ‘beaten’. Then depressed when you think of what you could have done with those eight hours.

It wouldn’t surprise me if one day someone successfully sued a company like ArenaNet for putting them through such an experience. I’m not advocating that as a solution or a good idea, but it honestly wouldn’t surprise me.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: buki.3108

buki.3108

I hate the jumping puzzles in this game with a passion. This puzzle I actually like because it is timed lol. Wish they would add more timed puzzles…makes them challenging.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Crispyseaweed.4870

Crispyseaweed.4870

To all those people that can’t complete the puzzle, I feel for you, I really do. However…

I spend hours ‘learning it’ and completed it after a few hours of trying. Then I got it done again with all my alts, including Char and Asura, fairly easily. I did not use any speed boosts or tricks.

Simply put, some people will never be able to do it, its just not in their skill set. Others, like me, will learn it over time, while a few will breeze through it in their first couple of goes. The reward for finishing it isn’t all that great, so if you aren’t enjoying it then stop. Just don’t do it. Personally I enjoyed it very much and would love to see other puzzles like this in the future.

Again, I feel sorry for anyone frustrated at not being able to finish this puzzle but please don’t ruin everyone’s fun by demanding all future events are designed for your level of skill. Dumbing down is a major blight of MMOs and this is the kind of place it starts.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Luisedgm.2375

Luisedgm.2375

I loved every aspect of the clock tower, except the XBOXHUEG norns blocking the view, everything else was golden, the challenge is welcome!

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Call Me M.6392

Call Me M.6392

Normally I like jumping puzzles, so I was looking forward to the clockwork tower.

But I don’t like this one. Most of the time I can’t see my Asura because of the other larger characters, so I just have to randomly jump to stay in front of the green stuff. I hate random messing around like that.
GW2 jumping puzzles are already tricky because of how the terrain can be so unpredictable (can you walk it or do you find an invisible barrier to jump over). The bouncing camera doesn’t help either.
But not being able to see my own character makes it just bad imo. How can I judge distances if I can’t see my own character?
So far this tower only tests my frustration and not my jumping skill.

in Halloween Event

Ravenblade.7685

Again, I feel sorry for anyone frustrated at not being able to finish this puzzle but please don’t ruin everyone’s fun by demanding all future events are designed for your level of skill. Dumbing down is a major blight of MMOs and this is the kind of place it starts.

Nobody is doing that some people are exaggerating the numbers of those who actually do want that. Most people have reasonable criticisms which don’t conflict with the idea of the challenge at all. You know how these threads go. They grow more by people being concerned that the developer will listen and than by those actually agreeing with that sentiment which people are so concerned about.

Siqqa, Asura Engineer

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Imrhien.2397

Imrhien.2397

Alternatively, remove the achievement from the world event. Not sure about anyone else but I don’t really care about the loot that drops, I want the clock tower because of the achievement associated with it. Remove the achievement and the clock tower becomes optional.

I would just like to point out, that completing the clock tower does not count as an achievement towards the overall event title. What you get from the clock tower are some achievement points and ofcourse the nice exotics.

Quote from a dev (I modified the quote a little to have a relevant sentence, see the square brackets):

… pumpkin carving and clock tower don’t count [towards emissary title].

Link to the post and thread this quote was taken from: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/halloween/Emissary-of-the-Mad-King-Can-t-count/first#post551330

Completing the clock tower is very much optional

(edited by Imrhien.2397)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: rootnode.9546

rootnode.9546

I don’t understand why people are complaining. Yes, the tower can be frustrating, but I had fun all along until I finished it.
What? You did what all people did and created a maximum sized Norn? Just create a little Asura or Sylvari, do the Puzzle and quit complaining.

And I don’t know where the problem with other people being in the tower is. I didn’t have a problem at all, even with a Charr blocking my view. As soon as you are past 1/3 of the way, you’ll most likely be alone.

That being said, I want to thank AN for this lovely jumping puzzle. It was a real challenge and fun to play.

Foran Lonewind – Mesmer
Gwens Avengers
Riverside

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Arysta.9530

Arysta.9530

I’m not a huge fan of jumping puzzles. I don’t have the best reflexes due to a hand injury I got many years ago. I basically have more issues doing jumping puzzles on rainy days (hurricane, anyone?).

I’ve done a handful of them, and I’ve never had much fun doing them. I’m not sure why/how anyone thinks they’re fun, but to each their own. I think farming is kind of fun, so we all have our quirks. I never complained because there are parts of mmos that we all dislike or find very difficult, and that in and of itself is fun.

This jumping puzzle, however, takes things to new heights. I plan on devoting up to 4 hours on it (by assuming the worst I hope to keep the frustration levels low), but after the first hour of trying, I’m not sure even that will be enough. The timed aspect makes it very difficult, but that’s just me complaining.

Second, I’m very glad my main character is not a Norn or Charr. I would feel very guilty about blocking the view of everyone so thoroughly. I’d estimate that 70% of my falls thus far have been because I haven’t been able to judge where I am on a platform. I’ve sort of enjoyed the time I’ve spent with others bemoaning the rough time I’ve had attempting to get up the tower, but I’d rather just get to the top alone and be done with it.

edit: Didn’t realize you didn’t need the Clock Tower for the meta-achievement. Edited post for that.

(edited by Arysta.9530)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

Took 2.5 hours. I am glad there is a challenge in the game like this. You guys who are complaining need to accept that sometimes you can’t do everything in a game.

This is not ANets fault, YOU are the ones who lack the skill to complete the task at hand. I would love to see more content like this in the future, optional SKILL TESTING sections of the game.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

I still vote that this was the best content that Arena Net has ever released. I would love to see this kind of challenge in future dungeons.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Call Me M.6392

Call Me M.6392

This jump puzzle is harder than Mega Man 9.

I’d like to see AVGN review this jumping puzzle, haha.

Seriously though, I loved this puzzle, when you first make it up to the 2nd part your heart starts racing. When I made it I almost jumped out of my chair

That guy would have no problems with this. In his latest video he completed what could arguably be one of the hardest games ever made, Ghouls and Ghosts for the NES.

The clock tower is hard but compared to actual platform games out there it doesn’t even compare. I just think some people need to be reminded of what games used to be like. I’m not a huge fan of them or anything but I grew up with them so there weren’t really any alternatives.

I’m good at those oldschool platform games. Those are great, because they provide all the visual information for you to time and anticipate if you are fast enough. The terrain is also very precisely made and you can make very precise jumps because of that.
My problem with this jumping puzzle is that I lack the visual information most of the time when I can’t see my own character. Then I just have to randomly mess around or start memorizing jumps I randomly did right from head. Both are not about jumping skills and the second one just takes way too much time if you are unlucky. Then there is the platform unworthy camera in this game and the unpredictable terrain geometry, which are normally only present in bad platform games.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Chrollo.2173

Chrollo.2173

The problem I basically keep seeing is this.

3. Some people are good at jumping puzzles/some people are not
4. The prior are happy, the later are not

Sorry, not quite right. It goes more like this:

3. Some people are prepared to spend anything up to 17 hours (based on the posts here) repeating the same awkward sequence of movements every minute or so in order to complete it. Others feel this is a form of (albeit self-inflicted) torture.
4. The prior are happy, the latter are not

I accept your alternate version.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Kurp.3207

Kurp.3207

Anyone whining about bugs, other players, camera issues, have you guys tried to do Griffonrook Run with a few randoms doing it at the same time? You can get the achievement without the bomb, but I still did it legit. If you find this hard, I suggest not to try that one…

in Halloween Event

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

It’s not something I would do over and over, but it was indeed fun. Even though plenty of rage spilled out from me over skype etc.

I still enjoyed it very much and I wouldnt want to see any change.

I also did it on an Asura Engineer, took roughly 2.5h, had plenty of Norn/Charr competition. No speed boosts.

It’s very doable, not saying its easy, but very doable. So get back on that horsey and keep jumping.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fuz.5621

Fuz.5621

I agree with the OP.
It’s incredibly annoying to try to jump without seeing anything because some kittening norn or charr are blocking your view.
This should AT LEAST be a solo instance.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Took me 8 hours on an internet connection from china and a 2 year old laptop. Wouldn’t do it again but loved the whole experience and the payoff from finally completing it.

I do understand though why it is annoying that something like this is available only for a few days. Given how difficult it is for some people, and the completionist nature of MMO gamers in general it would be nice to give people more time to practice and get used to it before hoisting that achievement out of reach for at the least 1 year and at the most ever.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Sleepcoma.9487

Sleepcoma.9487

The Clock Tower is awesome and I enjoyed the challenge. I don’t see how this required some inhuman level of dexterity, but then again as an elementalist my fingers are usually flying across the keyboard anyway. Most of it was just holding down W, hitting space as appropriate, then holding down the right mouse button and swinging my camera around with my mouse.

The two hardest parts for me were getting the long jump onto the gear down and the awkward jump to the left onto the skinny beam towards the end.

This was a fun challenge and I hope to see more like it. ANet just has to put on their flame kittendant vests because their will be a group of folks who don’t enjoy it and they will take to the forums to make their opinions known.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Ace.1726

Ace.1726

I absolutely love this puzzle, it took me 3 hours to do it with no guides. I’ve done it 30 times now and I’ll probably do it another 30 times because I enjoy it and it’s actually quite easy once you get it.

To the people saying the camera is bugged, it’s inconsistent etc. It isn’t sorry but the problem is your skill.

Also I see a lot of complaints that people get in the way, the people are what make this puzzle fun, it wouldn’t be nearly half as fun if it weren’t for people falling off and getting swallowed up. I’ve failed so many times just because I couldn’t stop laughing when people fall off. Lighten up it’s fun, you’ll enjoy life more that way.

Bravo to the developers.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fearys.9026

Fearys.9026

If only there wasn’t acheviement for this jumping puzzle i wouldn’t try to do it for like 5 hours (of failing -.-).
I’m a newbie when it comes to jumping – played only few games with jumping and such stuff. So when gw2 launched i was bad at it, but i tried to do them and improve my skills. After 2 months those jp are easier to me, but still I’m not a jumping master. I have a dream – one day I will open jumping achievement tab and I will see all 10, just give me 2 more months.
With this attitude i tried to clock tower, but the game just told me: “there is no hope for you, feel the glob in your lungs, muahahahaaha” or something like that after 5 hours of jumping around clock tower. And there are only few days left if I want to try do it again. Now I’m just sad – I know I can’t do it and my special event achievement tab will always remind me of it.
I really want to learn how to do jumping puzzles, but this one took all my hope. I agree with some things that OP wrote – make it solo intance. You could also remove achievement for it – maybe cool looking part of gear (like back from the story ones).
You designed a very sociable game (no stealing mobs, loot)in which people benefit from helping others and this jumping puzzle is negation of it.

P.S. For all of you, who say we are whinig – don’t do that. It’s great that you done it, but have some empathy and don’t behave like king of the world and better than others just because you complited a jumping puzzle. Some of you say it’s easy just to humiliate others – that’s kitten. I can do dungeons (I’m so close to the dungeon master title), I can do math and logic puzzles or history of art – the problem is jumping. Just think how you would behave if it was for example math mini-puzzle and you couldn’t complete it.

Sorry for long post and my language (still learning JP and english :P )

(edited by Moderator)

in Halloween Event

Kana.6793

@ Fearys Why on Earth should they remove an achievement because not every one can do it? If everyone can do something then it isn’t an achievement to do it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: GiftoftheMagi.3470

GiftoftheMagi.3470

After 6+ hours of buggy cameras and overlapping character, yeah I had to put a stop to this. I know what the rewards are for making this, but any event…especially a JUMPING PUZZLE, that seems to average at least 6-14 hours to beat ONCE, really isn’t worth my time.

This is a challenging puzzle, and so be it. I would gladly put the work in to master it. However, making it part of a limited event AND making it a group event makes no sense. The only thing groups do as add to the difficulty and frustration, but not the fun. The camera is bad enough but workable IF I could just get the 5+ other people standing in the same spot to move and see where “I” am.

I have a job, a wife and a 6-month old. I want to take part in this, but I simply canot justify spending a third of a day…on a jumping puzzle. If it was a massive dungeon or major boss…or some kind of huge interactive event, then yes I could. A jumping puzzle simply is not worth it. Even if I was to beat it, at this point it would lead to me taking a long break from the game because instead of being entertaining, I am now bored and angry at it.

So yes, this is NOT fun. Maybe for you lucky few that can spend 12+ hours a day on it…but if you can, maybe you should think about WHY you can?

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Enyri.3915

Enyri.3915

If only there wasn’t acheviement for this jumping puzzle i wouldn’t try to do it for like 5 hours (of failing -.-).
I’m a newbie when it comes to jumping – played only few games with jumping and such stuff. So when gw2 launched i was bad at it, but i tried to do them and improve my skills. After 2 months those jp are easier to me, but still I’m not a jumping master. I have a dream – one day I will open jumping achievement tab and I will see all 10, just give me 2 more months.

You could also remove achievement for it – maybe cool looking part of gear (like back from the story ones).

Just answer me this: You admit to not being the greatest jumper (that’s fine, you are probably actually better still than I), so what were your expectations for completing one of the hardest jumping puzzles in the game?

Why should no one else (including myself, admittedly horrible at jumping puzzles) be acknowledge for their achievement for completing it just because you haven’t?

That’s crap, completing it is an achievement, it deserves recognition. Hell, after the 12+ hours and near-infinite attempts I want an achievement, a medal, maybe a plaque, my picture in the newpaper, a hat…no, 2 hats, a parade, and a someone to massage my tired wrist. But I will settle for a full orange bar and 10 measly achievement points.

in Halloween Event

Kana.6793

After 6+ hours of buggy cameras and overlapping character, yeah I had to put a stop to this. I know what the rewards are for making this, but any event…especially a JUMPING PUZZLE, that seems to average at least 6-14 hours to beat ONCE, really isn’t worth my time.

This is a challenging puzzle, and so be it. I would gladly put the work in to master it. However, making it part of a limited event AND making it a group event makes no sense. The only thing groups do as add to the difficulty and frustration, but not the fun. The camera is bad enough but workable IF I could just get the 5+ other people standing in the same spot to move and see where “I” am.

I have a job, a wife and a 6-month old. I want to take part in this, but I simply canot justify spending a third of a day…on a jumping puzzle. If it was a massive dungeon or major boss…or some kind of huge interactive event, then yes I could. A jumping puzzle simply is not worth it. Even if I was to beat it, at this point it would lead to me taking a long break from the game because instead of being entertaining, I am now bored and angry at it.

So yes, this is NOT fun. Maybe for you lucky few that can spend 12+ hours a day on it…but if you can, maybe you should think about WHY you can?

Getting a bit sick of this kind of thing. A job, a wife and a 6 month old are really quite irrelevant to the topic. And that “think about WHY you can spend 12+ hours a day on it”. is just rude and unnecessary. You can’t seriously claim that only only unemployed, single people are capable of finishing the puzzle. Those things have nothing to do with jumping ability.

And you don’t need to spend 12+ hours a day on it. I finished it after around 5 hours, split over 2 days.

If you think the jumping puzzle isn’t worth it then don’t do it.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Fearys.9026

Fearys.9026

@ Kana – hmm, some people want to do it just for achievement, so if there wasn’t one for example this topic could have 4 pages less (i didn’t read all – i admit). And this isn’t a platform game if i recall corectly. For other jumping (and not only) achievements you have all the time you want. Achevements from special events tab can be easily done in approximetly 3 hours by everyone (killing mobs and visiting 4 instances isn’t hard), but that one is pain in the kitten for a lot of people, and will be gone in few days – that can be one of the reasons of deleting it from the list.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Bishop.5102

Bishop.5102

I’ve beaten it at least 30 times, I can beat it almost every attempt with a few falls here and there. I like it the way it is and in my opinion it’s not hard enough. I’m hoping we’ll see some actual challenging jump puzzles in the future.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

@ Kana – hmm, some people want to do it just for achievement, so if there wasn’t one for example this topic could have 4 pages less (i didn’t read all – i admit). And this isn’t a platform game if i recall corectly. For other jumping (and not only) achievements you have all the time you want. Achevements from special events tab can be easily done in approximetly 3 hours by everyone (killing mobs and visiting 4 instances isn’t hard), but that one is pain in the kitten for a lot of people, and will be gone in few days – that can be one of the reasons of deleting it from the list.

This is what´s wrong with achievement systems….people have started thinking they have to be able to get them all. And as a consequence we have achievements for watching a kittening intro…. :/
It´s an achievement, grab a dictionary and look it up.

Other than that it´s also completely personal achievement, nobody knows you have it, nobody can see you have it…it´s there only as a little reward for yourself. If you feel it´s not worth it, why the hell would you do it? Your future, in game or otherwise, certainly doesn´t depend on it. After a week nobody but you is even interested wether you even knew what gw2 is week ago, musch less wether you finished an achievement, which most propably goes away with all the other holiday stuff.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

The jumping puzzle is a joke right?

Listen to your audience. IT IS NOT FUN.

1. You do not speak for everyone. Not even close.

2. I completely disagree. This puzzle is awesome. It’s excellent design and an excellent challenge.

3. The puzzle was obviously designed to be a challenge. Instead of crying, rise above, learn to play better, take it as a challenge, and get it done. Put your energy into trying harder instead of crying harder.

What’s truly sad is that so many people were happy back in the BWEs that there was some challenges in this game, but of course, once the game goes live, the whiners start to appear.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Hunter Theron.6428

Hunter Theron.6428

You kidding, I wasted my Saturday attempting this thing and it was a blast! If it wasn’t fun I wouldn’t have even bothered.

People stop complaining! If content is too difficult for you, don’t do it. If you don’t have fun with it, don’t do it. No one is forcing you to beat this jumping puzzle. No one is forcing you to play the game in fact. It’s just a game, if you’re not having a good time then move on and do something else.

Theron Aquila – Human Ranger

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I could put up with most of the other garbage that plagues this design. The fact that some people enjoyed the experience doesn’t disqualify the glaring problems in its design.

A simple list of things which made this puzzle an abhorrent and poorly designed, inadequately tested experience for me:

*Buggy camera angles. When something explodes and suddenly I can’t see my toon. Trying to adjust camera angles around geometry.
*Inability to see my character. All the other toons standing on top of me, it’s hard to judge where I am. Insert charr/norn comment here.
*Inability to see the geometry. I can’t actually see what’s stopping me from walking forward. I can’t see the edge of the platform. I can’t see the next platform all because there is a sea of people on top of it. This is rage inducing.
*Waiting more time for the others to fail than I spend actually jumping through the puzzle. If I am in there for two minutes I spend about 100 seconds of that fuming in the lobby. I’m not actually playing the majority of the time. Just sitting there. This alone should not have passed QA.

Honestly, there are a lot of bug problems with GW2. A lot. With each patch we seem to get more than we fix. This clock tower is clearly not finished. There are significant issues with it that have aggrivated a large amount of the player community. Please stop releasing incomplete and buggy content. Please, I’d rather you stop putting stuff in the game that doesn’t work (doors to the Mad King’s Realm event chain breaking) or wasn’t properly tested than to keep putting broken stuff into the game. The overall game experience becomes a negative one, despite moments of fun, because players are constantly being walled by bugged/broken/incomplete content.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

If you are having problems seeing your own character, get in a group and have someone in group target you (CTRL+CLICK), it will put a bright red target over your head so you can see exactly where you are.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: RavenCries.4520

RavenCries.4520

I don´t think adding achievement for the puzzle is bad thing, quite the contrary. What i do think is bad thing is that the achievement counts towards the overarcing title achievement.
snip

To be clearer, I was referring specifically to jumping puzzles during holiday events. Achievements for jumping puzzles are fine, there’s one for completing all the open world jumping puzzles already in the game but putting them on a limited timed event is a bad idea. I submit this thread as proof of that.

The root cause of the problem is the achievement, removing it would seem the most reasonable approach that would solve the problems of the majority of the people. The side in favor of hard jumping puzzle gets to keep the puzzle the way it is, and gets an extra shot at loot. The other side doesn’t feel pressured to complete the puzzle because it’s not on the achievement list for the Halloween world event.

I would just like to point out, that completing the clock tower does not count as an achievement towards the overall event title. What you get from the clock tower are some achievement points and ofcourse the nice exotics.

Thanks for pointing that out Imrhien, however, I was already aware of this.

The problem is that it shows up in the list of achievements for the event. As long as it exists there people will feel the need to complete it. And if they have problems doing jumping puzzles for whatever reason (their connection, just not good at jumping puzzles, a disability, etc) not being able to do the achievement can feel like a real failure. People will do bizzar things for achivements (e.g. lvling your gw1 character to max in pre-searing noob area), this is no different.

snip

This is what´s wrong with achievement systems….people have started thinking they have to be able to get them all. And as a consequence we have achievements for watching a kittening intro…. :/
It´s an achievement, grab a dictionary and look it up.
Other than that it´s also completely personal achievement, nobody knows you have it, nobody can see you have it…it´s there only as a little reward for yourself. If you feel it´s not worth it, why the hell would you do it? Your future, in game or otherwise, certainly doesn´t depend on it. After a week nobody but you is even interested wether you even knew what gw2 is week ago, musch less wether you finished an achievement, which most propably goes away with all the other holiday stuff.

There isn’t anything wrong with the achievement system, getting them all is actually the entire point of the bloody thing. It’s a meta game inside the main game, a type of character progression beyond simple XP. And some people really get into it. Sticking the achievement to a difficult jumping puzzle that not everyone will be able to do is like placing a cooked ham just outside the range of a tied up starving dog, it will drive him crazy. A basic level of empathy toward other people and you can see what’s wrong with the situation.

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Oats.9546

Oats.9546

Did you ever think that this event was put in for people who want a challenge? I LOVED the clocktower. LOVED it. You know why? Every other game that has a holiday event makes it cheesy, grindy, and ultimately boring. The clocktower took me at least 2 hours to finish ONE time. That in my opinion is fun because you feel accomplished. After another 2 hours, im hitting the top 70% of the time. I find that I want to do the event just because its fun, i could give a crap about the halloween bags.

If you want “events for everyone”, look around! 80% of this event caters to EASY quests with decent rewards. Find the ghost… with guides… really? This does nothing for the hardcore gamers, but its something for everyone. Leave the kitten clocktower! There are other ways to get the rewards from it (MK dungeon) if you can’t platform.

As far as achievements go, you may not get it if you can’t do a hard jumping puzzle. In real life, i’d like the achievement of being a CEO, winning the lottery, being a quarter back in the NFL, and performing successful heart surgery. I’ll probably do none of these, and nobody will give me an acknowledgement of completing these tasks. Just face it, you may not get all of the achievements for Gw2. Tera had an achievement for first of your class to max level and nobody kittened about that even though only 7 or so people could achieve it. The simple solution is to do nothing about this event and leave it as it is, and its also the best one

BTW my guild is filled with full time employees that are casual as hell and EVERYONE has finished (most of them under 2 hours).

(edited by Oats.9546)

in Halloween Event

Posted by: Trinak.5086

Trinak.5086

Just want to add my opinion to others. I haven’t completed the clocktower and at this point I think I’ve wasted enough time trying to do so. The clocktower itself seemed like it would be a fun and challenging puzzle. Unfortunately, as an Asura I can’t see myself well enough to be able to do it with any consistency when competing with Norns and Charr. This would have been much more fun if I could have done it in a personal instance so that I only have to worry about myself and the puzzle instead of the added confusion of multiple jumping people.