Conversation story instance in LA.

in The Origins of Madness

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

The story instance in LA was absolutely wonderful.
So many conversations to listen to and a big network where everyone talks to everyone.
Really well done.
The network-talking makes it feel much more believable than if they would just be talking to eachother 2 by 2.

The weird thing is that everyone was randomly gathered there and you didn’t really get an explanation for why.

But that said, really well done. More of those!

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

My only concern was I wasn’t sure when it was done. The Wurm was coming and there didn’t seem to be any new dialogue, so I left. I no longer have the popup on my tracker, but the gold star is there. Maybe it’s repeatable? Or else I didn’t get some final thing done.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Whatwhatwaht? Story Instance in LA? Where? oO

Polka will never die

Mikuchan.7261

My only concern was I wasn’t sure when it was done. The Wurm was coming and there didn’t seem to be any new dialogue, so I left. I no longer have the popup on my tracker, but the gold star is there. Maybe it’s repeatable? Or else I didn’t get some final thing done.

I think it’s repeatable. At least the entrance is still there after I did it.

Mikuchan.7261

On the beach near the docks. Check the map for a yellow star.

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

It’s not there. No yellow star in LA for me and a great many others. And yes, I was at the docks.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

so marj + kas could sit on the beach together? rolls eyes
lion’s arch is a central hub to the capital cities
why there particularly, no clue.. the priory already has a tent set up there

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I just got a letter from Marjory about Lornar’s Pass and some Vigil crusaders needing help in Bloodtide coast. My 2 onscreen Living World pointers tells me to go to those 2 places. Nothing to do in LA for me. (And as it happens, nothing to do in Lornar’s Pass either.)

Posted by: Nyktalgia.5401

Nyktalgia.5401

It’s not there. No yellow star in LA for me and a great many others. And yes, I was at the docks.

Same here no yellow stars in LA for me. Lets hope Anet will fix this soon(ish).

Posted by: lazarus.1639

lazarus.1639

Can’t find it. Can someone put a screen or something please?

Posted by: Paul Belz.7351

Paul Belz.7351

Next

Hey guys,

You must participate in the marionette encounter in order to progress to the step where you go to LA. You do not have to WIN the fight, only participate. Once you participated that step should go away.

(edited by Paul Belz.7351)

Posted by: Settes.3960

Settes.3960

I would like to know, why player’s conversation with Kasmeer is the same as she had before with Marjory.

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Well at least we don’t have to win… that’s an upside.

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i did not go to bloodtide, yet recieved the instance
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/madness/New-Instance-places-to-go
if the moderators have any sense, they’ll sticky that thread.. i’ve already seen half a dozen posts about it

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I can’t say I’m very happy about the long wait between marionette events. It’s annoying to log in to see the living story continue only to have to wait 1:55 before I can.

Posted by: Angry Dutch.2439

Angry Dutch.2439

The living world tracker updated after i finished the marionette. Make sure you cath up with logan before hes done talking to Majory because after that he runs out of the instance. The rest stays there and can be conversed with after the’re done talking to each other. Nice little instance that gives some more info on the underlying relationships. The handholding and staring at the sea was a kitteneesy tho ;p

There is no shame in fear of the dutchman.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I loved the idea behind the story instance with all the characters chatting, to show each characters relationship and where they stand in the story.

It is always great to see Rytlock and Logan, just a shame they completely blanked each other as I like their dynamic. The new Asua seems a bit bland and almost sickeningly cute, what happened to the Vekk types?

I know we all said we wanted the lore in game and not on the website, but the Scarlet scribe is a fairly rubbish way of doing it. Go on. Go on. Go on.

Have to say I am a bit annoyed with the amount of meaningless dialogue to do with Kasmeer, it has nothing to do with the story and only makes me dislike her character more. The scene was so badly written and conceived, an obvious attempt to try and pull at the heart strings of players. It is blatant attempt to try and get characters attached to her before she is shuffled off this mortal coil, which no doubt is imminent. The money for voice acting could have been better spent actually giving us decent story with meaning rather than a background filler several months too late for a character about to die in a few weeks.

In all, good idea but needs work.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

Hey guys,

You must participate in the marionette encounter in order to progress to the step where you go to LA. You do not have to WIN the fight, only participate. Once you participated that step should go away.

Well then, that will never happen, Paul.

I don’t have time to stand around in some obscure zone, twiddling my thumbs in hopes of a respawn. New content should ALWAYS have something to do immediately upon logging in. This patch is garbage.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I was kinda disappointed. It’s amazing how I have absolutely no interest to “catch up” with Braham, Rox, Marjory or these other storyline NPC’s. I blame the writing staff, they’ve given me nothing to catch on to. All these characters are totally bland and have no personality. I tried talking to them but I found out I’m not even interested, even though I’d want to be. But it’s just so … forgettable.

Posted by: Khorrax.2108

Khorrax.2108

I don’t understand why we still don’t have a ‘story mode’ equivalent for this sort of Living Story update. Having to wait who knows how long for the event to even begin is simply not fun and it kills off the already little interest I had in this update. I didn’t even have high expectations of this update, but even so, I am disappointed.

Posted by: Keely Shadhavar.9247

Keely Shadhavar.9247

I’ve participated in the marionette fight twice now and still no stars in LA.
Edit: got it now. for some reason the star didn’t show up right away.

(edited by Keely Shadhavar.9247)

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

Hey guys,

I did it 2 times and still didn’t get a mail or anything.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Yeah, this is a pattern with GW2’s living story. The direction of where to go is always so vague and delivered via a mail message.

Posted by: Elaine.7142

Elaine.7142

I participated in the marionette encounter, my living world status updated but no stars. If I click on the Living world, it shows me the wp, but there are no stars for me to go to.

Posted by: MacKela.7024

MacKela.7024

My main problem with the story instance (and the whole living story arc for that matter) is how disconnected my character feels to the overall plot. I’m just that guardian they call when they need additional muscle and nothing more. It’s getting tiring to be honest.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Hey guys,

This has got to be one of the most confusing games ever, and I’m not exaggerating.

I really don’t understand why I’m finding out about this instance on an internet forum and not in the game. It really needs to be someone’s job to make sure content is accessible.

Mikuchan.7261

I had no idea you would get a mail. I didn’t. I just randomly found the yellow star on my map when going to LA.

The same with the next step

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

It pops up without informing you after participating once in the Marionette fight. If you don’t read it up somewhere or notice it randomly, you won’t notice it’s there.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

I just viewed that cutscene. I fail to understand why that needed a fight with the marionette to be unlocked. It should have completely been available before anything else.

Posted by: Jorge.5769

Jorge.5769

This living story concept is a very poor mechanic, what happens to some one that bought the game today and gets caught on this living story “thing”????

That person wont know 99% of whats going on and if he/she wants to find out or “play” the content that occured months ago the player wont be able to do it and will eventualy lose interest in the game period.

I personaly know a couple of people that just stoped playing the game because of this.

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

You get a recap in the Lion’s Arch story instance. Still, it would have been better placed before the fights.

This living story concept is a very poor mechanic, what happens to some one that bought the game today and gets caught on this living story “thing”????

That person wont know 99% of whats going on and if he/she wants to find out or “play” the content that occured months ago the player wont be able to do it and will eventualy lose interest in the game period.

I personaly know a couple of people that just stoped playing the game because of this.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

I liked the story instance, but the conversation between marjory and kasmeer came off as…I don’t know. I didn’t care for it very much.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

My main problem with the story instance (and the whole living story arc for that matter) is how disconnected my character feels to the overall plot. I’m just that guardian they call when they need additional muscle and nothing more. It’s getting tiring to be honest.

So much this. Whenever I grow to like the new characters I remember that they are essentially replacing my character. I don’t understand why we need characters that don’t expand the story (the story of Scarlet). The player has become a total background character and the more established the characters become, the worse it gets.

The new Asua seems a bit bland and almost sickeningly cute, what happened to the Vekk types?

I know we all said we wanted the lore in game and not on the website, but the Scarlet scribe is a fairly rubbish way of doing it. Go on. Go on. Go on.

Have to say I am a bit annoyed with the amount of meaningless dialogue to do with Kasmeer, it has nothing to do with the story and only makes me dislike her character more. The scene was so badly written and conceived, an obvious attempt to try and pull at the heart strings of players. It is blatant attempt to try and get characters attached to her before she is shuffled off this mortal coil, which no doubt is imminent. The money for voice acting could have been better spent actually giving us decent story with meaning rather than a background filler several months too late for a character about to die in a few weeks.

In all, good idea but needs work.

I liked the new asura, she seems in character for an asuran child, they have the child part down. I do miss the darker theme of the asura though. Vekk and his father were great characters and it seems the asura keep moving in the “cutesy” direction with the makeover kits and now this new character.

I said it elsewhere but I agree. The Kasmeer bit did seem out of place. I think the rumours of her death have been greatly exaggerated but I would still like the focus to remain on the plot related character developments.

Posted by: Wolvenheart.9681

Wolvenheart.9681

I liked Kasmeer ‘s bit, makes me want to go bash in a few heads once I’ve located where that magister lives.

Posted by: Okhu.7948

Okhu.7948

I liked the story instance, but the conversation between marjory and kasmeer came off as…I don’t know. I didn’t care for it very much.

It came ofkittenward. Awkward is the word you’re looking for I think.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

The story instance in LA was absolutely wonderful.
So many conversations to listen to and a big network where everyone talks to everyone.
Really well done.
The network-talking makes it feel much more believable than if they would just be talking to eachother 2 by 2.

The weird thing is that everyone was randomly gathered there and you didn’t really get an explanation for why.

But that said, really well done. More of those!

Explanation: Where do most players go when they’re not doing dungeons/bosses? Hang out in LA

Posted by: Blade Syphon.4325

Blade Syphon.4325

The end result was cute, but the over dramatic acting of Kasmeer was WAY to over the top and ridiculous for the subject matter.

Posted by: Skiasca.4726

Skiasca.4726

About it being wonderful is well…agree to disagree. I personally find whole Scarlet arc flat and not very interesing. It may be because I missed one or two releases but that’s not how it should be.
I was listening to them talking and I still have no idea what on earth are they all about and why.
And francly…as for the game that is ‘all about you and your story’, I feel more and more like a random sword for hire -.-’

Posted by: Damarus.5938

Damarus.5938

I’m also pretty impressed with the conversations. They were fun to listen to, especially our little asuran friend who does NOT speak like a 4 year old

Member of Knights Templar [KT] – http://knights-templar.com

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

I want to pitch in and say that I really liked the conversations between characters

The voice acting as usual is great. It really did felt genuine and that new asura kid is fun. Always good to have a kid character in your story.

Rox and Braham – they’re slowly dividing and it’s obvious that it’s being set up for Rox to choose between Braham and her new warband. Whatever she chooses in the end I hope it plays of in an awesome fashion, because I finally started liking those two as characters, and have become interested in how this character dynamic plays out.

Rytlock and Logan – why didn’t they have a conversation with each other? Why were they at that beach anyway? It’s always good to see the DE members getting involved in the LS but they need to talk more between each other.

Marjory and Kasmeer – one big exposition festival :P Don’t take me wrong I like their characters a lot but this sort of conversation should be played out differently. It felt out of place and time, and was just thrown in there to make us feel sorry for Kas. The voice acting was great of course, always love hearing more of them, but this conversation should have played out in their bar, or I dunno – just felt out of place. Other then that, good to know more about them and they are completely sweet together

If anyone at Anet reads this I would like to say good job on those conversations. Few hiccups here and there as before mentioned out of place Kas/Jory talk, and Logan/Rylock ignoring each other, but other then that it felt great, and we got more theories about the dragons.

It is this kind of script mixed with good voice acting that makes me truly wish that we had proper cut scenes. You can bring so much more emotions that way, and overall presentation needs to be more cinematic! Instead of feeling like a casual observer, I want to feel like I’m actually there and listening to those guys talking. You don’t need fancy cut scenes composed form concept art, just make simple ones like you did before (tower of nightmares with Kas and Jory, various personal story cutscenes etc.) Make characters take their time and speak to each other and express their feelings through scripted cut scenes instead they just appear like everyday NPC-s.

Or maybe you can make a standard cutscene like in the personal story with artwork in the background. Anything really, would be better then this.

That is basically my only problem with it. Presentation.

I would really, really like if every conversation in those story instances was cinematic cutscene like before. Keep the “NPC talk” for more casual, aftermath talk, like you did in tower of nightmares. This seemed like a really important character growth sequence, and with a little bit more effort and push in the right direction you can truly make it stand out.

For example, take Mass Effect 2 cut scenes and see if something like that would work. I would throw all my money at you if you could animate characters to move like that.

Oh and, next time, please stick with story instances that are automatically available to your character as soon as you log in/complete something without having to wait for a random event to finish. It worked for tower of nightmares because it was our own personal story instance inside, this way it’s going to cause a lot of people frustration. Never, ever set a timed content like that where you’re gonna tell a story.

Cheers!

(edited by CharrGirl.7896)

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Is there any way or possibility for the Living Story events to get recycled for those who missed all the past events?

Also, could you give Marjory some sexier panties please?
http://imgur.com/a/ghyi8/

(edited by Steel Fenrir.2791)

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

My ten cents?

Kasmeer’s story gave me enough feels to nearly cry a river, even if it wasn’t related it was kitten dark and tragic, and finally we get to know “who” these people are, you know what, I’m happy I got to hear that.

Also the new Asura char, loving it already.

Taimi for the win.

If people get picky about A-net actually “trying” to do good voice acting over Treesus god awful lack of it, then seriously, look in the mirror and ask yourself who are you to judge.

This was effort, not the best, not the worst, but when it came to Kasmeer talking about her back story to Marjory, that, was moving.

Taimi with Braham? Cute, adorable, funny, I liked it.

Its acting people, criticize it all you want but they are ‘trying’ even if it could still improve.

Also, id rather they over-acted, than didn’t at all, again, I remind you of Treesus wonderfully monotone voice and how little he actually said ANYTHING with feeling other than sounding like the freaking type vocal from the Microsoft word document.

Kasmeer overacting? Good, I want more overacting, I want as much overacting as A-net can throw because if its as good as that performance was then we need “more” of it.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I liked Kasmeer ‘s bit, makes me want to go bash in a few heads once I’ve located where that magister lives.

Why? From what I heard, they weren’t breaking the law. It was Kasmeer’s brother who was in debt and her father chose to step in for him. I don’t understand why they were going to kill her brother. How can that be legal in Kryta? It doesn’t even make good business sense – dead people don’t pay bills. Regardless, her father stepped in and was unable to pay his own debts (that’s his responsibility). He wasn’t mistreated. The only person doing anything wrong here (aside from maybe Kasmeer’s brother) is the prisoner/s who killed her father. The magister did nothing wrong.

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

Braham and Taimi are the best comedy duo in Tyria since Giorgio and Hobo-Tron!

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

Posted by: BladeNinja.4671

BladeNinja.4671

Yeah the convo in the LA instant was pretty interesting to watch/read. I actually ended up staying for all the segments with 3 other guildies especially Taimi part with Braham PS: Taimi char/golem design and how she stands on the golem would make for a great elite skill for Asuran to copy.

Aura Slicer X Thief. Pvp svr 007 Oh wait! i’m not suppose to tell you that!

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Why? From what I heard, they weren’t breaking the law. It was Kasmeer’s brother who was in debt and her father chose to step in for him. I don’t understand why they were going to kill her brother. How can that be legal in Kryta? It doesn’t even make good business sense – dead people don’t pay bills. Regardless, her father stepped in and was unable to pay his own debts (that’s his responsibility). He wasn’t mistreated. The only person doing anything wrong here (aside from maybe Kasmeer’s brother) is the prisoner/s who killed her father. The magister did nothing wrong.

While he was most likely joking, have you played a human? Almost every storyline they have is about government corruption.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I loved it I think I saw Taimi in rata sum looking for work a while back too

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

I wish they had included this level of depth to other LS. It really consolidated a lot of information and you even developed greater empathy for a lot of these characters.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Wheezy.2846

Wheezy.2846

I wish they had included this level of depth to other LS. It really consolidated a lot of information and you even developed greater empathy for a lot of these characters.

They should be able to more moving forward. The writers now know how to add dialogue to the game, so they can flesh things like this out a bit more moving forward.

Also, I liked this a lot. 1: Characters got some well needed development. 2: They feel more like teammates and allies than Trahearne or Destiny’s Edge ever really have.

Posted by: BobbyStein

Previous

BobbyStein

Guild Wars 2 Narrative Lead

Thanks for the thoughtful comments and honest criticisms regarding the story instance. We tried something new this time by putting a lot of character moments into a single area, but also by allowing folks to advance their LW progress while making the scenes available as optional story bits. We realize that for some players who haven’t met these characters before, there was a lot of “catching up” to do, but we hope you found it entertaining. The fact that many of you are speculating about where these characters are headed in the future makes me smile. Thanks for that.