[Merged] Think "Mounts" outside the box!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gummy.4278

Gummy.4278

Imagi.4561 & Banewrath.5107…… What if the mounts were just like a skill that you have to place on your skill bar, just like the engineer has to place the flame thrower skill on his bar. I mean this could be the operating mechanism and the sacrificial method. They could be summoned upon the use of the skill, and that summon would change your 1-5 skills to reflect the type of mount that you just summoned. I mean really unusual skill play here. Like for instance how about a mounted skill that allows you to throw a rope to a downed player and drag them out of red circles so that you could rez them. I also think while mounted, mounts should have a the ability to use the dodge feature. This may or may not have some animation, maybe when mounted you only get a small boost to the already trotting speed of 25% say up to 33% for 3 seconds.

Based on this mounts could be brought into the game in a way that has never been done in any other mmo to my recollection. I may differ from most people, but I would love to see a marriage of old and new ideas that makes the mounts that anet could give us very unique. I want all the versatility of a speed mount along with bringing new skill sets to the table that have never been done before, which only a mounted combat system could provide and all the beauty that cosmetic mounts provide.

Which I want you two champions to know that little old me had come up with this solution along time ago, if you want to snoop around in my old posts.

(edited by Gummy.4278)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Imagi.4561

Imagi.4561

What if the mounts were just like a skill that you have to place on your skill bar, just like the engineer has to place the flame thrower skill on his bar. I mean this could be the operating mechanism and the sacrificial method. They could be summoned upon the use of the skill, and that summon would change your 1-5 skills to reflect the type of mount that you just summoned. I mean really unusual skill play here. Like for instance how about a mounted skill that allows you to throw a rope to a downed player and drag them out of red circles so that you could rez them. I also think while mounted, mounts should have a the ability to use the dodge feature. This may or may not have some animation, maybe when mounted you only get a small boost to the already trotting speed of 25% say up to 33% for 3 seconds.

I agree that would be odd, but fun. I’d try it.

#ELEtism
By Ogden’s hammer, what savings!

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

Also before I forget …..Add a tab the hero panel call it Mounts of course and just like the Finishers tab works all your Mount skins are place inside this box. Everybody in game will be introduced to the mounts by training them to get the mount skill. Once you have learn the skill which you get for “free” you get the very very basic mount skin lets say Dolyak to go with it all for FREE! Now all the other skins are bought, found, introduced as meta’s for a living story achievement, hell make that the way you introduce them to the game make it a Living story and your first mount skin is there in presented to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: roostergoblin.2801

roostergoblin.2801

too much work for the development team. for it to play what as you described seems like a small role in the game. Additionally, as you described it I think I’d rather walk

Fort Aspenwood
[XIII] Disciples of Catastrophe, [Flip] Black Market Lions
level 80 Thief (Vincent Nightshadow)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banewrath.5107

Banewrath.5107

Imagi.4561 & Banewrath.5107…… What if the mounts were just like a skill that you have to place on your skill bar, just like the engineer has to place the flame thrower skill on his bar. I mean this could be the operating mechanism and the sacrificial method. They could be summoned upon the use of the skill, and that summon would change your 1-5 skills to reflect the type of mount that you just summoned. I mean really unusual skill play here. Like for instance how about a mounted skill that allows you to throw a rope to a downed player and drag them out of red circles so that you could rez them. I also think while mounted, mounts should have a the ability to use the dodge feature. This may or may not have some animation, maybe when mounted you only get a small boost to the already trotting speed of 25% say up to 33% for 3 seconds.

Based on this mounts could be brought into the game in a way that has never been done in any other mmo to my recollection. I may differ from most people, but I would love to see a marriage of old and new ideas that makes the mounts that anet could give us very unique. I want all the versatility of a speed mount along with bringing new skill sets to the table that have never been done before, which only a mounted combat system could provide..

Those are some decent ideas. But I don`t think arenanet would go that kind of distance for making skills for mounts unless they were for some kind guild rush type activity. Mounted combat would work awesome if this had the same fighting system guild wars has. But I don`t think all the dodging and the changing of weapon skills into mount skills to use are a can of worms they want to open. It would be neat to see something like that though.

Which I want you two champions to know that little old me had come up with this solution along time ago, if you want to snoop around in my old posts.

LIES! Never trust a woman or a government!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

how to avoid the “pay to win” situation: make standard 0815 versions of mounts available at vendors for 50s each. Only cosmetic new mounts will be available as rewards and from the gem store.

small further idea: everyone has a stable in his home instance where you can look at all of your mounts (like the island in GW1 where you had your mini-collection running around).

If you want to see mounts considered by Anet, maybe it would be a good idea to mention it in the current list of things that should be discussed with Anet: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Collaborative-Development-Request-for-Topics/page/11#post3058120

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

how to avoid the “pay to win” situation: make standard 0815 versions of mounts available at vendors for 50s each. Only cosmetic new mounts will be available as rewards and from the gem store.

small further idea: everyone has a stable in his home instance where you can look at all of your mounts (like the island in GW1 where you had your mini-collection running around).

If you want to see mounts considered by Anet, maybe it would be a good idea to mention it in the current list of things that should be discussed with Anet: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Collaborative-Development-Request-for-Topics/page/11#post3058120

We have already hammered out the ideas that mounts could also be obtained with ingame currency. Gold, tokens, karma. So it isn`t really a factor of pay to win. I think some people think of it is as pay to win because they could get it first by using cash but in the end it really doesn`t make a difference.

The home instance idea is a neat one. I think the home the island zoo they have in guild wars would be a better idea though and I`ll explain. The monestary zone from guild wars was a very cool place and had animals you could pick from. They could replicate the island instead of doing it in a home instance to bring more of the much needed guild wars feel into gw2. So they could have mounts and pets on the island in one place and that would free up having to assign a separate instance to each player. If they didn`t do the island though, your idea with the home instance would be my next choice.

I also know arenanet is watching this thread because they have already infracted a few of my posts. So I know it`s working and serving it`s purpose.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

It makes me sad that more than half the people in this topic didn’t even read the opening post.
They just saw the word “Mount” written on it and assume the rest…

I also agree that Mounts in GW2 are pointless, and the last thing I want is the center of Lion’s Arch to get filled with people posing their new “Pink Elephants” they paid 300g to get.

I only suggested Mounts to become come as some sort of alternative version of “Environmental tools” that effect the way you control your character, and instead of making you look like you are holding something, they make you look like you are mounting something.

How hard is it to understand it?!

…and don’t be toxic!

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

It makes me sad that more than half the people in this topic didn’t even read the opening post.
They just saw the word “Mount” written on it and assume the rest…

I also agree that Mounts in GW2 are pointless, and the last thing I want is the center of Lion’s Arch to get filled with people posing their new “Pink Elephants” they paid 300g to get.

I only suggested Mounts to become come as some sort of alternative version of “Environmental tools” that effect the way you control your character, and instead of making you look like you are holding something, they make you look like you are mounting something.

How hard is it to understand it?!

In all fairness, the moderators merged the mount threads. So your topic got injected into a longer running conversation, your thread title overwrote the original. I do think though that if you browse through the posts that were from the other thread, you would find suitable compromises that would probably please around 90% of the players.

in Suggestions

Posted by: larybird.7061

larybird.7061

I thinks mount would be so kittening great , but they must be hard to get ,and not at low lvl ,not before lvl 40 at least, and for the teleport , just remove a bunch , i allready think there to much…

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

I also know arenanet is watching this thread because they have already infracted a few of my posts. So I know it`s working and serving it`s purpose.

No sir that does not mean that they are watching, that could mean you are just kitten ing people off who have posted in the thread and have reported you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Greyalis.2309

Greyalis.2309

I would rather see a new water zone with submarine “mounts.”

Self Is The Emblem All

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

WvW is big enough to warrant the introduction of 33% perma speed boost mounts
that would be awesome

and than in a future update mounted WvW combat, who wouldn’t like that ?
I’d buy an expansion if it had these 2 things in it with my eyes closed.

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

Then the benefits from making a waypoint will ne greatly diminished. Though it’s annoying to walk 15 min to get rolled over by a bus and go there using an other 15min, it’s the punishment for getting rolled because you failed to escape/see them comming. And 15min it’s because you made a huge detour chasing ennemy.

But I like the mounted fight part, bring in the JUNUNDU !!!!!!!!! They were awesome in gw1, I miss them…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chaos.3579

Chaos.3579

Then the benefits from making a waypoint will ne greatly diminished. Though it’s annoying to walk 15 min to get rolled over by a bus and go there using an other 15min, it’s the punishment for getting rolled because you failed to escape/see them comming. And 15min it’s because you made a huge detour chasing ennemy.

But I like the mounted fight part, bring in the JUNUNDU !!!!!!!!! They were awesome in gw1, I miss them…

Actually the wp s would not be greatly diminished. 33% is just swiftness really.
Anet can really go crazy here. Like racial mounts, unique class mounts, faction mounts,gem store mounts $$$.

Though the mounts would have to be very simplistic. And have limitations in its usage otherwise people will just constantly be running around with their mounts wherever they go.

Also I don’t c how mounted combat can be that much fun.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CattivoUomo.7198

CattivoUomo.7198

Who walks fifteen minutes in WvW to get from point A to point B? You can run across most maps in under 1-2 minutes. Getting rolled over or rather avoiding getting rolled over is the challenge. While I think it would be interesting to explore the concept of fighting on and with mounts, I think that would be best ‘experimented’ with in some ‘new’ PvE maps first and then possibly in some new WvW maps. But with current PvE and WvW maps, mounts are really not needed. Just today I ran across all 3 borderlands to the jumping puzzle and didn’t die once and didn’t encounter a single enemy combatant or zerg. You just have to learn the best ways to either work with a team or individually to deal out death and/or to avoid or escape trouble; which is ultimately the challenge of WvW. Besides that, once everyone had mounts, you could get rolled over even quicker and more repeatedly. The WvW maps really aren’t as big as you would think.

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Sixteenth.2561

The Sixteenth.2561

Why you quote me to say the same thing as I do ?
As mount I was thinking about BIG one that only have 10% speed which is less that swiftness, but you need to use ressources to “tame” them along with a chain event, i.e a siege devourer, a junundu, a giant (the one in the oktoberfest zone)…
And it takes 3-5 min to run across middle earth avoiding the huge castle. (I don’t know the name in english) and if you chase good players it takes around 15 min if you kill them each time, I timed it, I chased 7 guys and killed 5… kitten fort, can’t chase them through walls…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

make it such that i can fight from my mount.

imagine people riding horses, dragons, camels, hyleks, zerglings etc. clashing into each other.

that would be awesome.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Do not give up, Banewrath!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akeem.3271

Akeem.3271

Gw2 needs mounts where are all the horses in gw2 and home instance why don’t we have a house in our home instance where we could buy and put up decoration up I would PAY MONEY to hook up my home instance.. they could even put a new crafting skill like wood work where you can make furniture.. that would keep me in the game as well as many other players.AS FOR THE MOUNTS why not everyone wants to go on about gw2 travel points you don’t need mounts yea we do it would make the game that much cooler and make you work for something more than backpacks and skins and it will help keep the player base up there, you could even sell mount skins. But running around sucks just to be able to move around faster on my lvl 80 mount would look so cool it could be something you use in your town get up … COME ON GUYS LET THEM KNOW TO HOOK US UP…

in Suggestions

Posted by: diamondgirl.6315

diamondgirl.6315

I would love mounts, if they weren’t usable in cities.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

There’s already been over forty threads on the tedious subject of mounts and player houses. GW2 does not “need” mounts in any shape or form. Waypoints exist for a reason.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Think-Mounts-outside-the-box/first

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

I took me a while to realise that when people talk about mounts they’re referring to things like horses or moas. Whenever somebody says ‘mounts’ I instantly think of a Harley . I don’t know why.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

in Suggestions

Posted by: diamondgirl.6315

diamondgirl.6315

I don’t think GW2 needs wvw or quaggan backpacks. So I stay out of those threads.

I think horses would be amazing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akeem.3271

Akeem.3271

There’s already been over forty threads on the tedious subject of mounts and player houses. GW2 does not “need” mounts in any shape or form. Waypoints exist for a reason.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Think-Mounts-outside-the-box/first

you say we don’t need mounts you don’t needs mounts I do the world is big as hell it would be nice to have a mount to ride with some more speed even if I got to pay for it I think if people want mounts they should have them, no one is saying take away the way points just if I want to ride out on my hard earned mount i should be able to i don’t understand why people like you don’t feel like having the option to ride a mount or use way points should be there it should be up to the player on how they want to explore the world and it give more reason to play the game to show off ffff skins and backpacks that gets weak after a 1yr of playing the game…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vocah.1208

Vocah.1208

You don’t NEED mounts but it sure as hell would be a welcome addition!

Oakhearts for Sylvari, 4 legged golems for Asurans, horses for humans, bears for Norn and mechanical beasts for charr. Why not? With the right amount of work and design, a simple horse can turn into a hellbeast or an angelic warrior. Regular mounts should be cheap and offer some kind of bonus, like 20% movement speed extra, and when you are hit, you’re dismounted.

Better mounts should be costly, especially skins, look better and perhaps have 5% more movement speed – or not. But honestly, being able to move 20-30% faster while not under attack would be amazing (especially if the mounts could dodge).

(edited by Vocah.1208)

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

you say we don’t need mounts you don’t needs mounts I do the world is big as hell it would be nice to have a mount to ride with some more speed even if I got to pay for it I think if people want mounts they should have them, no one is saying take away the way points just if I want to ride out on my hard earned mount i should be able to i don’t understand why people like you don’t feel like having the option to ride a mount or use way points should be there it should be up to the player on how they want to explore the world and it give more reason to play the game to show off ffff skins and backpacks that gets weak after a 1yr of playing the game…

Maybe if you took the time to read through the other 40+ threads on mounts you would see all of the reasons people want/don’t want mounts. I personally hate mounts in every other game I’ve played for a variety of different reasons. Befraggle mounts the
developer time could be better spent somewhere else.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stamos.6359

Stamos.6359

Hi im new in the game and i love it! i would like to make some suggestions for the game like it would be great if we had some mounts and it would be even greater if those mounts where hard to get!
Also i loved the title system through the achievments and i believe more titles should exist cool ones and hard to get!! that would make you distinct in the game!

(edited by Moderator)

in Suggestions

Posted by: QueenHysteria.1084

QueenHysteria.1084

How about putting mounts in this freaking game for once. I also could honestly care to hear what anyone against the idea of mounts because I can boringly point and click using a way point on my screen. I could also pay a FlightMaster in Warcraft to take me from point A to point B while I AFK’d and went and got snacks but you know what THEY STILL HAD MOUNTS! Why? because it’s fun. When it comes to adding fun and entertainment to my personal game play experience I could care careless what someone else thinks.

The maps in the game are huge and what way to have more fun exploring than to ride or fly a mount through them? Ah but what about jumping puzzles and WvsW. Easy (disable mounts in those zones). You couldn’t fly is PVP in WoW either so what Anet can’t get some programmer to add that in?

Not having mounts in a 2013 MMORPG is just outdated and lazy. Even Everquests has mounts and just how old is that game. Not having mounts in an MMORPG is like buying a car that has NO A/C, Radio, or Cupholders Cup Holders. Sure I could just roll the window down, sure I could just sit my drinks in the seat, sure I could just humm my favorite tune but who want’s to do that man!?! Get with the times put some freaking mounts in this game. How is this game supposed to be ground breaking when it lacks a “Funfactor” that basically every other MMORPG ever created now has. Pointing and clicking on a map breaks the 4th wall. It reminds me I’m playing a game and it’s annoying when I try to immerse myself in the digital goodness of Tyria.

I could care less about cutting down on travel time (which is worse btw now that waypoints are no longer free and cost the same as mission rewards). I just want to improve the “Fun factor” when I’m playing the game. One of my favorite things about MMO’s are the Mounts!

But who am I kidding no one is ever going to read this.

in Suggestions

Gummy.4278

Ok lets play a game …..All the Neigh Sayers just IGNORE this thread. Lets see who can resits the temptation to “Just Say Neigh”. I can bet that if none of them take any incentive to add there no’s to this thread it will fall off page 1 within a few hours.

Mind you I am pro mount. I just want to see if you can kill the thread without saying anything at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

you call it out dated i call it original . All classes have a speed buff of one sort or another anyway . Im fine with cosmetic but i dont see the need for speed mounts

in Suggestions

Posted by: Arcuss.6457

Arcuss.6457

Flying mounts would be dumb. The whole world is made of jumping puzzles and reaching hard to reach places (IE Vistas).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

Queen… Have u seen how big things move in this game when they turn etc… It doesnt look very pretty… And Have u thought of the number of ppl moving across places in crowds… It simply wouldnt look good! And there is no use either for them.

And Gummy… I don’t like u’r game really, why I’m not participating!

I say it again – NO, No mounts in this game thanks.

Kima & Co

in Suggestions

Banewrath.5107

CRUSADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mindy Mcreedy.3486

Mindy Mcreedy.3486

I know there are a lot of logical reasons not to have a mount, but personally I use the flying broom all the freaking time and would love to see some alternatives. For one it adds a new level of immersion with unique animation and expression that add more dimension and life to your character. Also while yes you can walk run and wp everywhere, having a mount is just fun despite it’s impracticality.

in Suggestions

Posted by: raseloc.6932

raseloc.6932

Definitely no flying mounts unless they have special maps for them.
PvE only.

Guild – Savants[ijit]
Gate of Madness

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sickle.6502

Sickle.6502

How about putting mounts in this freaking game for once. I also could honestly care to hear what anyone against the idea of mounts because I can boringly point and click using a way point on my screen. I could also pay a FlightMaster in Warcraft to take me from point A to point B while I AFK’d and went and got snacks but you know what THEY STILL HAD MOUNTS! Why? because it’s fun. When it comes to adding fun and entertainment to my personal game play experience I could care careless what someone else thinks.

@dbgamer: She says she goes for snacks herself, no ignorance or insults involved mr White Knight.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Undeadkemea.4865

Undeadkemea.4865

I am all for mounts! Bring in mounts, lots of them. Racial mounts, faction mounts, Mounts only obtainable with achievement points and mounts obtainable with getting experience from certain factions would all be really cool! I want a Dolyak mount for my norn! :P

in Suggestions

Posted by: dbgamer.3407

dbgamer.3407

@dbgamer: She says she goes for snacks herself, no ignorance or insults involved mr White Knight.

He’s talking about afk-ing while you load from waypointing, or something TAKES you from point A to point B, not afk-ing while you’re riding a mount.

No White-Knighting here, just plain reading comprehension.

Arkenell of Fort Aspenwood

in Suggestions

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

yet another useless topic about mounts.
Arenanet has said: We are NOT putting mounts in the game, otherwise you can fly over content which is meant to be played. deal with it and move on.

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

in Suggestions

dbgamer.3407

Source BlakThornArrow?

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Personally I don’t like the look of mounts in game. I don’t like seeing people riding on them all over. It just adds extra clutter to the screen that does not appeal to me. Also I have mentioned this before. Everyone who plays this game has had a giant Norn in front of them. Now imagine a giant Norn on a mount. It would take up half the screen in front of you.

I know people who support mounts like to discount this as something that doesn’t matter, but myself and I bet many others just don’t want to see them for aesthetic reasons. If mounts were introduced and there was a way to toggle them off so I couldn’t see them that would be fine with me. As others have mentioned I too would probably logoff GW2 for good if they were introduced and I had to see them all over the place. IMO I think they look silly and clutter the screen too much.

Some argue that people that don’t want mounts are just saying so to keep others from having them. They use the term “naysayers” to try to discount the opinions of those that don’t want them. I don’t think that is the case at all. I think many people that don’t want mounts just don’t want to see them. That is a valid stance because this game is extremely based on visuals.

I’ve presented my opinion on mounts. I have many times and opinions such as mine are usual blown off by people that want mounts. I have nothing else to say on this matter as these threads usually end up going in circles. I’m tired of debating it.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

in Suggestions

dbgamer.3407

Personally I don’t like the look of mounts in game. I don’t like seeing people riding on them all over. It just adds extra clutter to the screen that does not appeal to me. Also I have mentioned this before. Everyone who plays this game has had a giant Norn in front of them. Now imagine a giant Norn on a mount. It would take up half the screen in front of you.

I know people who support mounts like to discount this as something that doesn’t matter, but myself and I bet many others just don’t want to see them for aesthetic reasons. If mounts were introduced and there was a way to toggle them off so I couldn’t see them that would be fine with me. As others have mentioned I too would probably logoff GW2 for good if they were introduced and I had to see them all over the place. IMO I think they look silly and clutter the screen too much.

Some argue that people that don’t want mounts are just saying so to keep others from having them. They use the term “naysayers” to try to discount the opinions of those that don’t want them. I don’t think that is the case at all. I think many people that don’t want mounts just don’t want to see them. That is a valid stance because this game is extremely based on visuals.

I’ve presented my opinion on mounts. I have many times and opinions such as mine are usual blown off by people that want mounts. I have nothing else to say on this matter as these threads usually end up going in circles. I’m tired of debating it.

Fair points.

Seems like two equal and opposite sides of the same coin – some want mounts for the aesthetic nature, some do NOT want them for the same reason.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Fair points.

Seems like two equal and opposite sides of the same coin – some want mounts for the aesthetic nature, some do NOT want them for the same reason.

I know I said that was all I had to say on the matter but I wanted to tell you thank you for respecting my opinion.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adngel.9786

Adngel.9786

I neither wont Mounts, and if they were added, I would like they were restricted to just some areas that were ready to offer an interesting content with those mounts. Not only the appearance. And in that way also would help to save me watching so many mounts on my enviroment all the times, as others has told posts before, mounts also breaks the beauty of the heros and exploration for me. (fight, survival, challenges to arrive till points and such).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

As with so many features that are in other games but not GW2, my question for those in support of mounts is the following: what will it really add to the game, and how will it do so without breaking what already exists?

GW1 never had mounts of any kind, and it was a perfectly fine game. As it stands, GW2 is in the same position. Having movement buffs tied to mounts would unbalance the state of the game with respect to professions, traits, and skills, and if they were “just for fun,” then as many posters have stated before, they would just provide unnecessary clutter on the screen. Note that the two “alternative movement options” released so far (the digger and the broom) take up very little extra space, don’t increase movement speed, and are optional purchases through the gem store.

So long as they continue to release items that aren’t available for just anyone who does some basic content, are approximately character-sized or smaller, and provide no benefit other than aesthetics, I’m fine with them. But it seems that people want actual movement speed increases in the form of large and impressive animals or vehicles, and that goes against the design philosophy of the game. To those who say “old games had those, why doesn’t GW2?” I ask “why are you playing a game that’s deliberately built around NOT having these things?” By saying that “old = good” or insisting that Arenanet follow tradition for the sake of tradition, you’re committing the fallacy of appeal to tradition. Other MMOs may have dozens of playable races, mounts, 52 billion super specialized classes, etc., but that doesn’t make them better, it just makes them different. Guild Wars 2 was a game intentionally designed to revolutionize or do away with old MMO conventions, and this is one convention they decided to eliminate. That’s the way the game is, take it or leave it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

GW1 never had mounts of any kind

This isnt entirely true . there was the sand wurm and siege devourer . They were incredibly slow though and actually gave you a speed buff to get to normal speed for a short time . Although i am against speed mounts going around making false statements doesn’t help the cause .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Why? Why make another one of these? What makes you think that this thread will end any differently than… looks at url… the other 49 threads of the exact same title?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Equinox.4968

Equinox.4968

GW1 never had mounts of any kind

This isnt entirely true . there was the sand wurm and siege devourer . They were incredibly slow though and actually gave you a speed buff to get to normal speed for a short time . Although i am against speed mounts going around making false statements doesn’t help the cause .

Thing is though, those weren’t really mounts. They were just predecessors to the environmental weapon system we have in GW2. They weren’t really mounts so much as an alternate skillbar and more health, sort of like siege golems in WVW. Moreover, they were only useable in a select few zones, and those zones (instances, not the open world like we have here in GW2) were designed to accomodate them. Simply put, it is 100% true that there were no mounts in GW1 in the manner the topic creator is trying to describe them (that is, EQ- and WOW-style mounts). Nor are they in GW2, and nor should they be.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Korval.3751

Korval.3751

I’m all for ground mounts. Flying mounts no.