Open world Duels [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

There were posters casting aspersions at those who want the option to duel before the first use of the term, “carebear,” or the equivalent. Your bias is showing.

“The competition offers this feature,” is a perfectly valid argument for adding a feature in essentially every mercantile endeavor.

Personally I do not think open world dueling is necessary. I doubt very much that I would use the feature (I prefer team oriented PvP). But….anything that increases the ability of the playerbase to entertain itself in between significant content releases seems like it could be useful.

I certainly would not oppose a feature simply because I am unlikely to use it…

So my opposition to the biased remarks by others is biased? And just how does that work?

“The competition offers this feature,” is certainly not a valid argument, it’s an excuse. If every game has to have the same features, why do we even need different games? just for the graphics alone?

Everyone else has mounts.
Everyone else has housing.
Everyone else has gear progression.
Everyone else has grind.
Everyone else has cheating.
Everyone else has foul language.
Everyone else has pay-to-win.
Everyone else has monthly fees.

Why do we need electric cars, everyone else uses gasoline engines!
Why do we need medicines, everyone else just uses leeches for blood letting!
Why do we need automobiles, every one else uses horses?
Why do we need money, everyone else just uses chickens and their daughters?

Just because “everyone else” does something, does not mean you have to do it to.

GW1 broke the mold and did not do what “everyone else” did. That is what made it a success.
GW2 is trying to do the same, be something different, something that all the other games are not but people seem to want to force it to become a generic clone for some strange reason.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

Not adding a feature is not breaking the mold either.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in Suggestions

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Relieving yourself in public is more than slightly annoying to nearly everybody witnessing it. Lets not compare apples to oranges here. Dueling isn’t obscene and is only objectionable to a fraction of the people witnessing it.

How so? Can’t you just ignore it? If someone wants to relieve them self on you, just set yourself on /autodecline. Obscenity and objectionality are only in the eye of the beholder, friend.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

Relieving yourself in public is more than slightly annoying to nearly everybody witnessing it. Lets not compare apples to oranges here. Dueling isn’t obscene and is only objectionable to a fraction of the people witnessing it.

How so? Can’t you just ignore it? If someone wants to relieve them self on you, just set yourself on /autodecline. Obscenity and objectionality are only in the eye of the beholder, friend.

Not even sure what your saying here. There is no autodecline for public indecency. There is, however, a legal punishment.

Obscenity might be in the eye of the beholder, but when it comes to the legality of certain actions the law takes over and decides what’s obscene for you. Say somebody wants to hold a rock concert across the park from your wedding. Objectionable and absurdly obscene to you, maybe, but you’re still going to have to deal with it.

The solution here being(as has already been suggested by both wedding-goers and rockers) to ensure that certain venues only cater to weddings and not to rock concerts. Not to ban all rock concerts.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I fail to see how adding an optional activity could possibly ruin anyone’s game. Rather, it would make some people happier, and simply not affect the rest.

If there are enough people out there trying to find ways around the system to duel, it can only help to give them some sort of duelling feature.

And if you don’t want to duel, decline invitations and go about your business. What’s so difficult about that?

in Suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

“There is no way you can play against anybody on your server with the PvE build you’ve invested in. "

Actually its that we can’t duel.

Re-defining a word may look like a good way to bolster an argument. Thing is, doing so can detract from what you’re trying to say. I can respect the argument that the current implementation doesn’t fit everyone’s wants. However, saying, “We can’t duel.” looks like an attempt to win sympathy and make one’s opponents look bad (selfish).

The solution here being (as has already been suggested by both wedding-goers and rockers) to ensure that certain venues only cater to weddings and not to rock concerts. Not to ban all rock concerts.

I’d be fine with dueling arenas in cities. Make them instanced? Even better. I’d also be fine with dueling out where mobs spawn — after all, it’s likely there will be combat there anyway. Now, whether ANet will be willing to make a free feature that competes with the current paid implementation is another issue.

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

Not even sure what your saying here. There is no autodecline for public indecency. There is, however, a legal punishment.

Obscenity might be in the eye of the beholder, but when it comes to the legality of certain actions the law takes over and decides what’s obscene for you. Say somebody wants to hold a rock concert across the park from your wedding. Objectionable and absurdly obscene to you, maybe, but you’re still going to have to deal with it.

The solution here being(as has already been suggested by both wedding-goers and rockers) to ensure that certain venues only cater to weddings and not to rock concerts. Not to ban all rock concerts.

What culture’s laws are you trying to reference here. Many cultures have no such laws. In some it’s perfectly socially acceptable to relieve yourself in public.

As to your analogy and second point, they simply don’t matter. All I was saying was that your argument against the “quality of life” point was highly hypocritical.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Banono.4597

Banono.4597

I’d be fine with dueling arenas in cities. Make them instanced? Even better. I’d also be fine with dueling out where mobs spawn — after all, it’s likely there will be combat there anyway. Now, whether ANet will be willing to make a free feature that competes with the current paid implementation is another issue.

This would be a fair compromise. In fact I would want it this way.

I am an RPer, so having dueling not be allowed in the main cities would be even better than duels anywhere and everywhere. Only trolls would want to have duels at the crafting stations or taverns and with a limitation like this it would solve alot of drama that would be caused.

Thank you for being understanding and level headed.

@Craptrain – You are embarrassing yourself. You should really stop.
Your analogy makes zero sense since not only is kitten ing on someone illegal in the countries this forum is geared towards it is unhygienic and real life does not have an ignore feature.

You are right some countries in the world do not have laws against that, but some countries allow honor killing for women who speak to a man other than their husband, and various other laws that we in the west think are barbaric and stupid.

We get it. You think the devs will go full kitten and break their game balancing for 1v1, the trolls will attack you because you are so important they will feel they must duel you and that is an insult on par with someone kitten ing on your leg, but hate to break this to you. You are not the center of the universe and your views are pretty out of touch.

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

@Craptrain – You are embarrassing yourself. You should really stop.
Your analogy makes zero sense since not only is kitten ing on someone illegal in the countries this forum is geared towards it is unhygienic and real life does not have an ignore feature.

You are right some countries in the world do not have laws against that, but some countries allow honor killing for women who speak to a man other than their husband, and various other laws that we in the west think are barbaric and stupid.

We get it. You think the devs will go full kitten and break their game balancing for 1v1, the trolls will attack you because you are so important they will feel they must duel you and that is an insult on par with someone kitten ing on your leg, but hate to break this to you. You are not the center of the universe and your views are pretty out of touch.

Your rampant hyperbole and strawman arguments demonstrate how little logical support you have for your position. Thank you for doing my job for me.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

Your rampant hyperbole and strawman arguments demonstrate how little logical support you have for your position. Thank you for doing my job for me.

You have to be trolling… For the sake of my own sanity I am done talking to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Halandir.3609

Halandir.3609

1vs1 Dueling… Seriously I simply do not care!

If its in: Fine, If not: Just as fine!

I would however hate it if Anet spending valuable dev-time on kittencontent to please PvE heroes instead of actually getting some levelfield PvP in the game, such as 8 person GvG in a NON-PvE gearlike setting.

And yes: WvW is bloody PvE ‘content’!

in Suggestions

NewTrain.7549

You have to be trolling… For the sake of my own sanity I am done talking to you.

Just because you can’t counter (or properly interpret) a valid argument doesn’t mean said argument is “trolling”.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Blargh. I’m done pretending you guys have legitimate arguments.

This is the bottom line:
Dueling is a playstyle currently entirely absent from the game. There is no way you can play against anybody on your server with the PvE build you’ve invested in. WvW doesn’t let you play against your pals or in cool locations. Custom arenas don’t provide the kind of build customization that open world does.

Running around the world immersively is not going to become absent from the game if dueling is added. The community is not going to fill up with trashbums. You aren’t going to lose the ability to block annoying people in map chat. You won’t be spammed with invites every 3 seconds or whispered by every guy out there. People are not going to decide that locations with lots of other people are suddenly great places to 1v1.

As for those of you complaining about effect spam? Your opinion is miniscule. Yup. If you can’t deal with 2 guys throwing things at each other behind whatever panel you’re staring at, you can turn off sound. And if you’re bothered by the visual presence of people casting things, too bad. Your activities won’t disappear. Being slightly annoyed some of the time while doing the activity you enjoy is not worth the complete lack of an activity that others enjoy

This is the kind of logic I am seeing from alot of people in this thread.

I enjoy flying my kite and people won’t let me do that in peace due to training dummies. Please remove the dummies from LA so that I may not be bothered. I know I can just go else where and even stay where I am at and fly my kite, but I kept seeing map chat saying “Everyone attack the dummy!” and I really liked standing right there at the time. Also please note the man laughing on the left he is the type of griefer this activity brings. Look at how sad Banono is due to the effects spam.

Oh my goodness this.

I really don’t understand the mentality against dueling, people that think they’re going to be hampered by it every minute they log in are delusional. If they played any other MMOs, there’s a good chance dueling was a mechanic in it, and they weren’t consistently hounded throughout their journeys.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

I don’t get why people dont want this? because it’s an annoyance? well so were instruments before they enabled a volume setting for it. You could go sPvP and go to a duel server, but that’s such a bother and you don’t use your WvW/PvE gear for it. Also, burst is reduced in sPvP so you won’t be hitting the same as you do in WvW.

People complaining here are probably the ones crying for a LFG tool when they have a 3rd party website they can use, they just want one because it’s more CONVENIENT, which is EXACTLY why we want a dueling feature.

in Suggestions

Posted by: sanictoofast.9317

sanictoofast.9317

farquaads gonna farquaad, they should stay out of the swamp if you cant stand the dirt lol, which is likely where they would end up if they tried to duel shrek the ogrelord, the alpha and omegre. all those against are definitely drek. all of this fighting could’ve been solved over a duel. oh wait..

(edited by sanictoofast.9317)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

They should just implement dueling outside of cities. Then it wouldn’t be anymore annoying to people than players fighting mobs. If it is in cities it should be limited to arenas. Also put in an auto duel decline so people can’t be spammed with those requests.

I’m all about player immersion and don’t want all hell breaking out in civilized areas as it is unrealistic and I totally understand why others would be against dueling for those reasons.

I do like dueling in my games though and think there is a way to do it so that everyone is happy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lenaro.5924

Lenaro.5924

This would be a fair compromise. In fact I would want it this way.

I am an RPer, so having dueling not be allowed in the main cities would be even better than duels anywhere and everywhere. Only trolls would want to have duels at the crafting stations or taverns and with a limitation like this it would solve alot of drama that would be caused.

Thank you for being understanding and level headed.

While I’m open to compromise if people feel strongly enough about it, I don’t think this particular suggestion is necessary for dueling to work. You could simply have hotspots in the city where dueling isn’t allowed, i.e., areas where there is a large amount of player traffic. I personally don’t feel it’d be necessary, for instance, to restrict dueling in taverns. I understand that they’re often a RP hotspot, but as a consummate RPer I can safely say that being able to duel in different set pieces in the city often finds it’s way into many people’s RP.

Instancing dueling would lessen what it could bring to the game. If people feel strongly enough against it then it would certainly be an acceptable counter-measure to make other players more comfortable, but I personally feel that other social interactions in cities can be just as disruptive (Ex. Costume Brawl, fireworks, instruments, skill spamming, etc.).

Wanted to quickly mention, as someone didn’t recognize the possibility of it a few posts back. If they add dueling to PvE regions of the map there is genuinely no reason that it shouldn’t be added to the Mists. I honestly see a more easily accessible dueling system in sPvP as a huge step forward in the ability to better balance sPvP, especially inner-class balance (traits, skill choice, stat distribution).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

People have yet to realise that this in-game feature is OPTIONAL , you never have to partake – nor will it affect you in any way ( ever ).

There are dozens of posts in this topic pointing how you are wrong. If you ignored all of them, what makes you think I would bother repeating the same thing again?

No there are not. There is not a single post demonstrating that he is wrong because the point is hypothetical and seems to assume that measures would be put into place to prevent griefing and such. There are, however, plenty of posts discussing aspects of open world dueling that could lead to problems if not addressed before implementation.

So then the question becomes…how many people would use and benefit from the feature, compared to how many people would be annoyed, or put off by it.

I’m not sure how clear cut that is.

I agree completely. I, for example, was annoyed by, and put off by the whole Zephyr living story. I am similarly annoyed by crafting in MMOs (this one in particular). But I know that others enjoy elements that I do not. Hopefully something such as open world dueling can be implemented in such a way as to please those who want it without negatively impacting those who do not.

People are not going to decide that locations with lots of other people are suddenly great places to 1v1.

I think that you are likely mistaken on this aspect. I think that duelists are people. I think that a place with lots of people will have duelists present. I think that duelists are unlikely to leave such an area in order to engage in their desired activity. I know that I have seen this happen elsewhere.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This leads to two main questions, in my mind, that should be answered in the interest of a fair discussion about implementing a new feature.

1. What precisely is it about open world dueling that is detrimental to immersion?

2. If the answer to the first question is that dueling is significantly detrimental to immersion in the game, how can the proposal be altered to move it into the acceptable range for breaking immersion?

I personally don’t see open world dueling as a huge detriment to immersion. There are hundreds of other features that have been implemented that I believe either share the same negatives as dueling or far exceed them. The reason for this is because there are acceptable levels of immersion breaking in a game, if what the feature has to offer isn’t significantly offset by how it ruins the atmosphere it’s worthwhile to implement. However, I obviously have a bias in this area so seeing responses from others would be worthwhile to the discussion.

There have already been many proposed ways to implement dueling, many of which are far more considerate of immersion than many I would suggest. I have played a number of games in which dueling has been a benefit to the community at large. People enjoy participating and people enjoy watching. Everyone? No, but you can’t expect any feature to have universal appeal.

One of the best aspects of dueling is that it’s a form of reusable and dynamic content that has a focus on player-player interaction. It even allows for players to create their own fun and games based upon it. You can set up any rules you want to in advance.

This leads to some incredibly fun alterations on rule-sets, whether they’re for balancing or sheer shenanigans. In fact a clan I led in Anarchy Online had the better part of a month and a half of our member’s time devoted to a dueling season. We started up brand new characters at level 1 and had a series of benchmarks where we would stop, perfect our character in their current state and then undergo a series of duels. This led to an unprecedented amount of our members playing together on a daily basis and genuinely everyone had fun with it. Friendly competition is never a bad thing, if it becomes unfriendly when brought to the community at large the suggested feature by many in this thread should suffice for ignoring it (Have duels set to auto-decline).

I didn’t tell this story entirely to brag about how awesome myself and the people I play games with are, it was only 95% of the reason, but to give an example of the kind of creative and fun content that players can make out of player-player interaction features. They are exactly the form of content that GW2 is currently lacking, and I think dueling would be a strong first step in the right direction.

EDIT
Wow, I really know how to wall of text a thread up. I honestly thought it was shorter this time…

The problem isn’t that dueling itself is going to ruin immersion…or even the immersion itself. It’s what the dueling will lead to in map chat. I like to keep my map chat on? Why? Sometimes people say something intelligent and useful (even something as simple as the Maw is Up).

Now imagine a duel, with a couple of guys, nearby. They’re talking trash, insulting each other (it happens), and in generally spamming chat with their own personal battle. Now imagine if two people are doing it.

It’s something I neither care about or need to see…and in other games with dueling I have seen it. So I don’t want it here.

If everyone who dueled had to party and they limited their dueling to in party talk, that would be fine…but that’s never going to happen, because people are inconsiderate. Some will talk smack in map chat, instead of say.

Right now, those people don’t have use reason to harrass others in map chat, but the addition of dueling is probably going to add it.

This is why I keep suggesting a dueling zone or area. So it’s separated from those people who don’t want to hear about it.

Two people fighting doesn’t break immersion. “L2P noob!” does.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

The problem isn’t that dueling itself is going to ruin immersion…or even the immersion itself. It’s what the dueling will lead to in map chat. I like to keep my map chat on? Why? Sometimes people say something intelligent and useful (even something as simple as the Maw is Up).

Now imagine a duel, with a couple of guys, nearby. They’re talking trash, insulting each other (it happens), and in generally spamming chat with their own personal battle. Now imagine if two people are doing it.

It’s something I neither care about or need to see…and in other games with dueling I have seen it. So I don’t want it here.

If everyone who dueled had to party and they limited their dueling to in party talk, that would be fine…but that’s never going to happen, because people are inconsiderate. Some will talk smack in map chat, instead of say.

Right now, those people don’t have use reason to harrass others in map chat, but the addition of dueling is probably going to add it.

This is why I keep suggesting a dueling zone or area. So it’s separated from those people who don’t want to hear about it.

Two people fighting doesn’t break immersion. “L2P noob!” does.

Where ever I am, there’s almost no map chat, only in WvW is there any and sometimes LA. But I just mostly see people standing around talking in /say or standing by TP/Mystic forge.

Anytime there is someone talking in map chat, it’s either trash talk, asking for help or recruiting. Maybe I’m just on when the majority of people on my server are offline lol.

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As said numerous times: open world dueling: no
Dueling in an instanced zone (not the custom arenas): yes

in Suggestions

Posted by: Latorn.4209

Latorn.4209

Care to give more information or defend this reasoning? >.<

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

For me, I can’t imagine how an RP server could survive without dueling. If there was dueling, I could actually see myself trying RP this game. But as it stands… it would get really old having someone trying to say they would definitely beat you, definitely better than you… and no way to test that theory.

Still, I’m glad dueling doesn’t exist in GW2. I can’t tell you how much time I was spend in this game if it did. Ridiculous amounts of time. And then I’d go broke in the gem store. -_-’

So, actually… lets not add dueling, please.

in Suggestions

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

I am fine with dueling being allowed in certain instanced arenas on the condition that no one ever complains about the imbalance between two different classes in 1v1 combat. The moment someone does the feature should be permanently removed. I say this because I know the amount of complaints that come up because of said dueling will be uncountable just like every game that has ever offered it.

This game is about teamwork and coordination, which a 1v1 has none of and therefore really has no place in.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

This is the bottom line:
Dueling is a playstyle currently entirely absent from the game. There is no way you can play against anybody on your server with the PvE build you’ve invested in. WvW doesn’t let you play against your pals or in cool locations. Custom arenas don’t provide the kind of build customization that open world does.

Running around the world immersively is not going to become absent from the game if dueling is added. The community is not going to fill up with trashbums. You aren’t going to lose the ability to block annoying people in map chat. You won’t be spammed with invites every 3 seconds or whispered by every guy out there. People are not going to decide that locations with lots of other people are suddenly great places to 1v1.

As for those of you complaining about effect spam? Your opinion is miniscule. Yup. If you can’t deal with 2 guys throwing things at each other behind whatever panel you’re staring at, you can turn off sound. And if you’re bothered by the visual presence of people casting things, too bad. Your activities won’t disappear. Being slightly annoyed some of the time while doing the activity you enjoy is not worth the complete lack of an activity that others enjoy

Quoted for Absolute Truth.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Suggestions

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I think this would be a waste of time to add. I think the devs could spend their time better by working on a dozen different other things. I doubt I’d ever use it.

All that said… if they did the following things, I wouldn’t actually be opposed to it.

• Auto-decline option, defaults to ‘on’.
  • No dueling in cities.
  • A separate “Dueling” or PvP channel, zone wide like map chat.
  • A statement by the devs that classes will NOT be balanced around 1v1 due to this.
  • A policy by ANet that badgering someone to duel you after they’ve refused/auto-refused is harassment. (Asking once is okay.)

I think that would keep the negative impacts down, and help to make what dueling DOES happen more fun for the decent players involved.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Personally, I think this would be a waste of time to add.

I, personally, would say the exact same thing about raiding.

Luckily for those who don’t share our views, they don’t give 2 craps about our personal opinions.

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

iam really dissapointed of how many selfish people say that duel will mess his playing just because they silly arguments.

We just ask an instance, to test our PVE gear with friends.

Easy change, that really doesnt affect any of the game play and will bring a greate tool to have fun with our friends.

Anet any answer for this post? i think obviously there are a lot fo people that really want to know what are you going to do with this subject.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Personally, I think this would be a waste of time to add. I think the devs could spend their time better by working on a dozen different other things. I doubt I’d ever use it.

All that said… if they did the following things, I wouldn’t actually be opposed to it.

• No dueling in cities.
  • A statement by the devs that classes will NOT be balanced around 1v1 due to this.
  • A policy by ANet that badgering someone to duel you after they’ve refused/auto-refused is harassment. (Asking once is okay.)

I think that would keep the negative impacts down, and help to make what dueling DOES happen more fun for the decent players involved.

I have never seen a game where /dueling/ had a negative impact on anything. In-fact it was the HIGHLIGHT of most player-made events and actually brought more people into the game.

Dueling is a fun mechanic that allows people to fight each other anywhere, which also brings out cool videos with “Duel of Fates” music :p

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Suggestions

Posted by: Linnael.1069

Linnael.1069

• No dueling in cities.

I have never seen a game where /dueling/ had a negative impact on anything. In-fact it was the HIGHLIGHT of most player-made events and actually brought more people into the game.

Dueling is a fun mechanic that allows people to fight each other anywhere, which also brings out cool videos with “Duel of Fates” music :p

This is really the key aspect that dueling in instances only can’t capture. Being out in the world with friends or spontaneously running into people and fighting in all the cool places during all the cool events that people come up with. Imagine being able to duel people on the stairs in Vexa’s Lab or dodging the wind in the Windy Cavern.

Stormbluff Isle – Syliara
Elementalist – Necromancer – Warrior

(edited by Linnael.1069)

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

Yeah, dueling in open world will be a dream.

Really cool all the posibilities that maps can bring in a good fight.

But there are too many people QQ with the “I dont want ppl looking at me while iam killing 32523523 mobs”.

If we cannot get a open world duel because of this, at least an instance will help us.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

There’s nothing to be gained from Focus on Dueling. Least of all meaningful rewards.
This isn’t a 1 on 1 game. It never was in Gw1 …. it never will be.

The only balanced 1 on 1 game to ever exist was Chess and most people here wouldn’t do very well at it (I certainly know I couldn’t… I can win Snipe Battles, I can win @ BuildWars, I can even win most RL Fist fights … but Chess eluded me)

Costume Brawl is as 1v1 as you’re ever going to get in open world. Deal…

(edited by ilr.9675)

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

OMG really again the balance argument?

Is just to have fun, you will not lose money, prestige, items, armor . . ANY!

Is just to . . . hey friend do you want to have a duel with me, i want to test my new ranger stealth build against ur condi tank . . . last time it was hard to kill one in WvW.

You make such a big deal with a simple mechanic that will not harm anyone.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

But there are too many people QQ with the “I dont want ppl looking at me while iam killing 32523523 mobs”.

I like how you display the kind of mindset here that debilitates many of the voiced concerns. Those PvE bunnies and their stupid game, right? Right on buddy, tough dude.

in Suggestions

SoLeciTO.3490

It is the same to say then:

I like how you display the kind of mindset here that strengthens many of the voiced concerns. Those PvP tigers and their stupid game, right? Right on buddy, tough dude.

in Suggestions

Banono.4597

There’s nothing to be gained from Focus on Dueling. Least of all meaningful rewards.

No one here is asking for a dueling focused game or rewards. Just a simple feature to allow us to randomly challenge a friend to a a duel.

We know the game is not balanced for 1v1.
We know there will be zero rewards from it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

For those that want to “…allow us to randomly challenge a friend to a duel”…does this mean you will only challenge your friends? I have no problem if you want to duel your friends…go for it. My objection to dueling in general is that (in other games) I get challenged…and then browbeat when I refuse. Or…continued challenges after I refuse. Second issue is the insane amount of duel-related chat that goes on in community channels.

If there was an auto-decline with harassment sanctions against those who pushed the issue after a decline…and a mandated separate channel for duel-related chat then I honestly don’t care. That said, it would seem that an instanced dueling area would be a better fit for both duelists and non-duelists.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Personally, I think this would be a waste of time to add.

I, personally, would say the exact same thing about raiding.

As would I.

However, you’ll note the words “I think”, and that I’m okay if they do it anyway, as long as they take the steps to keep it from becoming a problem for others.

I like it when they spend time on stuff that I like, but I know they’re going to work on other things as well. I don’t have to like it, but I accept it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

I am poor at PvP, but I think dueling would add another touch of life to the world – I always enjoyed watching duels back in WoW.

As far as people bothering you for duels – it’s not as if you could be attacked. The most people can do is send you irritating messages and follow you around – which they can already do now, a problem with the very simple remedy of a block.

I’m always sorry to see people bad-temperedly opposing the inclusion of a feature that others would enjoy, simply because they don’t enjoy it themselves.

in Suggestions

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I still have not seen an answer to the question, “Why would ANet implement a free feature that would compete with an existing paid feature?” I suspect if dueling is to ever get beyond the wish stage, that question has to be answered. Don’t think “goodness of their hearts,” think “money.”

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

This is the bottom line:

Quoted for Absolute Truth.

How can you quote an opinion as truth? lol

in Suggestions

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

is this thread still going?
all I see here is people who want dueling saying people who do not are selfish- swearing high and low that it will not impact our gameplay.

What I don’t understand is how you can claim that- is it not selfish of you to demand a feature that was never in the game- not planned for as far as I know and many people who love this game are very much against for , to me at least obvious reasons?

What is wrong with you getting an arena in a city to duel in? You can do so in your PvE gear.
The whole PvE gear argument, food etc already tells me that you guys are not so much interested in a fair fight but rather a strutting contest.

No thanks

Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

is this thread still going?
all I see here is people who want dueling saying people who do not are selfish- swearing high and low that it will not impact our gameplay.

What I don’t understand is how you can claim that- is it not selfish of you to demand a feature that was never in the game- not planned for as far as I know and many people who love this game are very much against for , to me at least obvious reasons?

What is wrong with you getting an arena in a city to duel in? You can do so in your PvE gear.
The whole PvE gear argument, food etc already tells me that you guys are not so much interested in a fair fight but rather a strutting contest.

No thanks

Why are you still posting nonsense ? It’s the same we can ask you , this thread is still going because dueling is a key feature and Anet already popped a note about it a while ago im sure you dont know about this either.

Why are you against a feature your not interested in participating in the first place ? Too much spare time ? The discussion needs to go on further in hopes to get a dev reply atleast, if not we shall ask again later on. If you think you speak for the majority your dead wrong

play hard , go pro.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Seems we forgot nothing, we just don’t care about dueling Another vote from me against dueling.

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Care to give more information or defend this reasoning? >.<

First of all, dueling is against the spirit of the game in PvE, cooperation between players instead of competition. I don’t think something that goes far against the very philosophy of the game will ever be implemented. But that’s only theoretical and non-sense anyway, the devs are known to change their philosophy from time to time – up to a certain extent-.

I don’t want to see players dueling around me while I’m exploring out there and try to reach a far vista or poi. Not only it clutters the screen with particles and effects it may also attract unwanted attention -see: mobs-. Depending on where people might decide to solve their issues, they might mess up events too. There are a lot more things to consider with dueling everywhere, boons, conditions, hit by mobs, rally by mobs maybe an issue too. If you disallow all these, then why do it in the open world?

Since we don’t have an inspect feature or similar, what about low-level challenges? No matter how good downscaling is, it’s by no means perfect.

Duel requests can be easily avoided with an auto-decline feature, and an auto-block PM feature from anyone that might even think to send dueling PMs “coward, come fight me!” and the like. Oh and removal of said person from map chat/say chat, everywhere I don’t want little kids to spam requests on chat. To add to that, a ignore/auto-delete function on the forums about any dueling balance issue post.

The game isn’t built around 1vs1 duels, that’s a simple undeniable fact. If they focus on duel balancing even for a single minute of their balancing process, the game will be ruined… There are already loads of balancing issues, let’s not add more.

I’m all for testing your PvE build against other players, but not in the open world, a special arena in WvW would be ideal for it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

If you want to duel in order to know who is the best/ more skilled/ whatever then you have the custom arena.
If you don’t want to use them because you won’t be able to use your food/ascended gear/etc.. then you aren’t looking after a display of skill but simply want to show up your gear : it won’t be a fair duel, deal with it.

If you simply want to try your PvE build against foes then use it on LA dummies/ Orr mobs / whatever. You don’t need a whole new concept for that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

LOL against LA dummies, that has to be the saddest suggestion ever.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I agree that resorting to custom arena and say ‘go duel there’ really misses the point of dueling. In some other games I’ve dueled on top of mountains, on floating platforms in the sky, in forests.. simply by running into someone that enjoys dueling! That’s all, it is really not hard to implement a dueling system for a team like Anet. They just have no interest in adding it, likely because some leadership sees no profit in it. I still hope they add it some day but it’s unlikely.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

In my experience duelling requests can be used as a very low-level form of harassment, not unlike begging for gold or asking to be ‘boosted’ through content. Even with an auto-decline feature or showing as ‘anonymous’ in a game, if someone is near you and wants to duel/get money/be boosted they will simply click on you and whisper/say incessantly until you are forced to block them. Obviously this can happen in pretty much any aspect of the game anyway, but duelling adds another method and ‘reason’ for doing so.

I suspect that is part of the reason why a lot of people who are not interested in duelling are concerned that even an auto-decline tickbox would be insufficient to keep duelling requests, spam and harassment at bay. I understand that some people like duelling and that is fair enough. I am not particularly interested, however, and I would like that choice to be respected as well. I have doubts how well it would be, given that there are already a number of posts in this very thread claiming that the only reason people oppose duelling is cowardice, based on what appears to be no evidence whatsoever.

Given that duelling already takes place in WvW (at the windmill, usually) and there is the option for custom arena fights, I don’t feel that adding a duelling option into PvE is really needed. If it happens, it happens, it won’t make me quit the game, but I don’t think it would add much overall.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

in Suggestions

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So…. I have to ask… after reading so many people using this reason for wanting duels….

Why do you need to test your PVE gear in a PvP setting? You can get all the same skins in PvP. Why does PvE gear matter unless you are doing it solely to have a gear advantage over your opponent (ie Ascended vs Rares).

Edit: And you can do that crap in WvW anyway. (PvE gear vs PvE gear)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.