Open world Duels [Merged]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Regenc.9256

Regenc.9256

Oh right one last explanation on that, you challenge the player and your ability to accept or not shows in a pop-up. For this reason the game in the video only allowed the duals in towns. No one wants that pop-up while they’re fighting in the world. It should also have the option to be turned off and on for players not wanting to be bothered. and in the game in the video anyone already being challenged could not be challenged by anyone else until the pop-up was cleared.

I like in town duals like this because it creates more community while your just hanging around a place like Lion’s Arch or Ebon Hawk while crafting.

in Suggestions

Regenc.9256

thanks stale

in Suggestions

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

You sir are an anomaly.

I have no reason to say you are lying, but wow… If I was in your shoes I would probably hate it too, but I can assure you that that is not the norm.

No, Stale is not an anomaly. I can back that up from my own personal experience. I even dueled from time to time in WoW but the constant spamming of requests were really annoying. Then toss in the garbage talk that comes with it and I’d rather no take a chance on that type of behavior leaking into GW2 PvE. Having an auto decline is a nice thought but I don’t want to have to spend every second clicking block in chat to filter out the dueling trash talk.

You may have good intentions and you may not abuse it but I’d be willing to bet for every one of you there are at least 2 others that would. As Stale mentioned above you have to admit that several of the pro-dueling players posting here don’t really support the argument that insults and trash talking won’t occur.

Many have mentioned that dueling would be fine with them in an instanced area or a designated area. Actually I think most of them have including myself. However, there would have to be some way that /map and /say were policed to avoid an overflow of garbage talk.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Regenc.9256

I’m not sure why I can’t figure out how to quote you Just, but how about this. Make the dual’s only in PvP zone! I mean your asking for it by going there so leave it there right?

btw, here’s that video again lol, I really like it

in Suggestions

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Huh, Trogdor (the Rotagninrub, I presume?) I always thought it was just me, and some abysmal luck. Not sure if I’m glad I wasn’t the only one or not.

Policing chat should actually be fairly easy, assuming Anet broadens their definition of “Harassment” to include the duel trash talking.

I am pro-give-them-an-instanced-arena, much in the way that the clip Regenc put up. Insta port them to wherever – even their own separate instance of the map they’re in at the moment, so they can have mountaintop/bridge/volcano-edge duels if they want. So long as it’s kept away from me, I don’t much care how they implement it.

Keeping disruption of the other (in my view, normal) players to a minimum should be the first concern.

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m not sure why I can’t figure out how to quote you Just,

To quote someone you click the left pointing arrow below their post.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: LightningBlaze.4913

LightningBlaze.4913

I’m not sure why I can’t figure out how to quote you Just, but how about this. Make the dual’s only in PvP zone! I mean your asking for it by going there so leave it there right?

I like this duel system. The instance can be a little more creative though, such as with obstacles and water to be able to use our environment towards our advantage.

Heidia- The elementalist is the #1 most OP profession in this game since beta!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lenaro.5924

Lenaro.5924

In my opinion dueling should not be instanced. This isn’t due to me being awesome at duels and wanting a crowd, but simply because the largest benefits to the community at large emerge when dueling isn’t instanced. Let’s face it, in every MMO there is down-time, whether big events aren’t occurring, you simply want to have access to your friends in-game, or any number of other reasons; GW2 is no different.

Many people in this down-time aren’t overly social, they hang around hubs doing minor tasks, checking the marketplace, and potentially chatting within their own guild. Dueling provides a spectacle for players to enjoy for those who want it, and there will be plenty of those players, even if you personally don’t want to watch dueling. It groups players together and encourages commentary, discussion, and overall social behavior. This isn’t a bad thing, and in fact it’s something sorely lacking from GW2 currently, there isn’t a lot of social lubricant in the game now.

If you have a problem with watching duels, there are already many systems that are equivalent or worse allowed within cities ( Skill spamming, Fireworks, Box-of-Fun, Costume Brawl, etc.). It wouldn’t be unreasonable to determine “districts” in a city that allow dueling, keeping it out of the Marketplace/Bank/Crafting Stations. Preventing it entirely in cities simply seems a waste of what the feature has to offer.

As for in an open world I really just can’t understand why you would instance it, there’s no harm I can think of. It won’t be obnoxious as you can simply steer clear of it if you truly offended by the act. From an immersion stand point dueling really isn’t outside of the realm of possibility. It’s in fact far stranger that people never come to blows with one another. There’s obviously tremendous tension in the game world given that every race has a splinter faction at war with everyone.

And as it’s been brought up hundreds of time by this point I’ll make my note on harassment through dueling brief. It’s harassment, it’s reportable, and action will be taken against players who harass others with dueling. It’s not enough of an incentive to not implement a system, as every system has the potential for abuse. It shouldn’t factor into the discussion of whether a system should be implemented because the decision should be based on what a feature can bring to the game. If a feature is set to be introduced counter measures against abuse should be implemented as seen fit.

(edited by Lenaro.5924)

in Suggestions

Posted by: negerleif.2106

negerleif.2106

words can not explain how angry i am right now…..

in Suggestions

Posted by: hakunamatata.9540

hakunamatata.9540

actually i want a openworld pvp .when i questing its pretty enjoyable the kill somebody i didnt like.it makes better friendships also.i can protect who i liked.but.its not going to happen i guess.maybe at some expansion a war between 2 race or 2 sides.it can be verry enjoyable.

btw duels also fill this gap.more or less

in Suggestions

Posted by: Akela.9130

Akela.9130

Completely for open world duals. Just not in cities.

Loyal Guild Wars Fan

in Suggestions

Posted by: Elman.7382

Elman.7382

Open world duals would make the game much more alive and active. In my opinion. Definitely need it. It’s really fun in spvp so why not just have it in pve to?

in Suggestions

Regenc.9256

Regenc.9256:

I like this duel system. The instance can be a little more creative though, such as with obstacles and water to be able to use our environment towards our advantage.

==========

That’s a great idea lightning, also liked the idea for different arenas stale!

… btw still can’t quote here for some reason…

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

… btw still can’t quote here for some reason…

I guess copy and pasting the same thing you have said before is your way of saying bump. I think that is at least the 3rd time you have posted the link to that video with pretty much the same thing.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Posted by: RivAngE.4012

RivAngE.4012

Dueling should be easy to implement and adds a lot of fun when you’re playing the game with friends. Maybe ArenaNet fears that people will start complaining about the game not being balanced over 1v1, but people who would complain about such a thing in a team-based game, are just people with a very narrow perception. Just add a duel function, an option to not accept duel invitations and only good things can come up from this.

Personally, I pre-ordered the game and was playing during betas, but all those months I hadn’t bothered with dueling, I didn’t care because I had no real life friends who were playing the game. Now I got one to play and we’re trying to bring 2 or 3 more friends. I want to duel with my friends for fun, but I can’t. They are just laughing at me for playing a game without duel at 2013!

(edited by RivAngE.4012)

in Suggestions

negerleif.2106

thats it guys i give up!
way too many potatoheads here

maybe one day the DEVS will look this way but probably not since they havent posted a respons yet, after almost a year... what a way to let down your devoted players that actually post stuff on the forums............ ... .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sad Swordfish.9743

Sad Swordfish.9743

thats it guys i give up!
way too many potatoheads here

maybe one day the DEVS will look this way but probably not since they havent posted a respons yet, after almost a year… what a way to let down your devoted players that actually post stuff on the forums………… … .

hey man.

I found this on my computer. I forgot all about this thread but had this laying around since beta!

its Jon peters confirming they want to add it after release. I think it will come. Trust in Peters!!!

Attachments:

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Not in favor of open world duels . Not to say im against duels in general . I just want them kept in a PvP area

in Suggestions

Posted by: sminkiottone.6972

sminkiottone.6972

Duels would be pointless unless Anet finds a way to balance each and every class, as it is right now some classes can faceroll others, so where is the fun ?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kukchi.6173

Kukchi.6173

Its been 5 months, how about that /duel?

Human thief lvl 80 pistol dagger pistol sword cheese extreme.
Anet fix thief plz its boring now :(

in Suggestions

Adine.2184

As long as its kept in a PvP setting have at it .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kukchi.6173

Kukchi.6173

As long as its kept in a PvP setting have at it .

No, i don’t want to duel in spvp. I want to use the gear that I wear in wvw.

Human thief lvl 80 pistol dagger pistol sword cheese extreme.
Anet fix thief plz its boring now :(

in Suggestions

Posted by: kansuke.8706

kansuke.8706

If they add an option to automatically decline duel requests, then it’s fine with me.

When i tried wow on a blue monday a long time ago, the first player i met was spamming me with duel requests.
Highly irritating.

Saii – The Red Lotus

in Suggestions

Posted by: GigglyPants.3291

GigglyPants.3291

Two features that I think are sorely needed in GW2 are duelling and viewing player gear. I run up to someone with awesome looking armour and weapons and I want a option to click “Show gear” and see the persons hero panel and what the various items are called.

Another feature is duelling. How cool would it be to see two players in legendaries fight it out? I just think that having the option to duel another player is a must in mmo’s.

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Want to know what gear people are wearing? ASK THEM.

Duelling? Far from being “cool” to watch a couple of tools in legendary gear fight each other, it would be tedious to watch. Also, “dool me brah!” and “u scared, brah!” spam? No thanks.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

not everyone who wields legendary is any good in pi vi pi
tho it would be fun to duel spar with friends for practice outside spvp with pve gear

viewing armor? no no. ask them

kill all ze thingz

in Suggestions

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

No and no. In time, you will realize that not everybody is mature enough or sensible to be able to use such tools. What I see is elitism “omagad no exotic gloves, kick dungeon”. And than duel request spam-fest “c’mon noob, dont chicken out, I am soooo better than u”.
Want to know gear: ask. Want to PvP: do it in the way its intended to.

No thanks.

banished from time and space

in Suggestions

Posted by: Deano.7913

Deano.7913

As for inspecting gear, no. If they have a cool bit of armor or a nice weapon you find interesting would be happy to talk about it, ask them. Most people would happily show it off, but it would be their choice.

I am only ok with dueling if it is with people who mutually have each other on their contact lists or is setup in some way that prevented annoying spamming of requests. Maybe have a spot for it, a practice arena or something. There is already a sort of arena in the Charr home city, the Black Citadel , which they could utilize and copy onto a separate kind of “instance” if they really want to add this feature. But if you mean just random fights with randoms in the open world, no.

[WP] Wisenheimer Prime | Guild Leader
Polyhistor Serpente – lvl 80 Elementalist | Crystal Desert
http://www.twitch.tv/polyhistorsl

in Suggestions

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

No and no.

Next thread.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sickle.6502

Sickle.6502

Two features that I think are sorely needed in GW2 are duelling and viewing player gear. I run up to someone with awesome looking armour and weapons and I want a option to click “Show gear” and see the persons hero panel and what the various items are called.

Another feature is duelling. How cool would it be to see two players in legendaries fight it out? I just think that having the option to duel another player is a must in mmo’s.

So you are a refugee from WoW then….figured as much.

Seriously, if you bring this rubbish to GW2… You will get people being kicked out of dungeons for what they have struggled hard to earn, because it’s not the right stats in the eyes of others.

And dueling? If you want to duel, then go to WvW and hide behind the windmill near the bottom of the map.

Better still, just go back to WoW and stop trying to ruin our sanctuary.

in Suggestions

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

No and No.

Duelling: I do not PvP. Even with the off-option, people will go as a mad child calling you all kinds off childish things cause you dont duell them. Other games have proven how bad such a system is.

Viewing player gear: no. Wanna know my gear ask. If you have a good reason I’ll ping. But my builds are made by me and balanced by me to fit my playstyle perfectly. It is my product and none off your bussiness. Please judge me on my performanc ein PvE.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

they are adding open world dueling at some point. It’s mentioned in a interview and i will dig it up if anyone likes…i try to post it everytime a duel thread gets made…which is like once a week.

As for inspect, i’m all for it, but blablabla elitism blablabla this argument never goes well. It boggles my mind how ‘end game’ in GW2 is collecting various exotic gears but no one can look at them beyond seeing your character avatar, and then people argue to keep it that way.

(edited by Scrambles.2604)

in Suggestions

JustTrogdor.7892

I think a good middle ground to dueling would be in a designated instanced area. That way those that want to duel with their friends and guild mates can easily go there and do so. They could hang out in the area and look for pickup matches. Maybe it could even be part of the LFG tool. This would keep dueling out of the open world for those that don’t want to see it or be exposed to it.

The Burninator

in Suggestions

Adine.2184

Im against inspection all together . if you want to know my gear ask me . As for duels as long as its kept in a PvP setting i’m fine with it .

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They already said they are likely to have dueling but no dates have mentioned.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upcoming_changes_and_features

These changes have been mentioned by ArenaNet, but lack specific details and/or a release date.
Dueling: The ability to duel other players in world.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I am in favor of dueling and inspecting skin name only. Nothing beyond the skin of the armor.

in Suggestions

GigglyPants.3291

So you are a refugee from WoW then….figured as much.

Seriously, if you bring this rubbish to GW2… You will get people being kicked out of dungeons for what they have struggled hard to earn, because it’s not the right stats in the eyes of others.

And dueling? If you want to duel, then go to WvW and hide behind the windmill near the bottom of the map.

Better still, just go back to WoW and stop trying to ruin our sanctuary.

Wow you sir are just jumping to conclusions.
I have played wow before playing GW2, I enjoyed GW2 far better than wow (Thats why i chose GW2 over wow and the majority of my MMO time is put into GW2)
Im giving suggestions on what i personally think would be a good idea, if you don’t like it, feel free to disagree, no need to be a kitten about it.

in Suggestions

GigglyPants.3291

I didn’t mean to say kitten XD (I was gonna use a much more harsher word but autocorrect)

in Suggestions

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

if you want duels have them in an arena, i am getting sick of all the kids challenging me and crying afterwards that they lost.
please keep it out of PvE places, an arena you can watch in PvE i am fine with but PvP in a PvE place is simply not ok.
and even if there is an auto-deny request, you still have ppl annoying you, killing your enemies and bunny hop around you all the time until you give in or travel away.

in Suggestions

GigglyPants.3291

if you want duels have them in an arena, i am getting sick of all the kids challenging me and crying afterwards that they lost.
please keep it out of PvE places, an arena you can watch in PvE i am fine with but PvP in a PvE place is simply not ok.
and even if there is an auto-deny request, you still have ppl annoying you, killing your enemies and bunny hop around you all the time until you give in or travel away.

Ok, thats a valid point, what about pvp servers?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sickle.6502

Sickle.6502

Don’t worry bro, most of us are wow converts (refugee’s) Seriously, that includes me, I used to play WoW and Gw1 – played wow for the MMO side, and waitied for Gw2 to release.
Everything about WoW I really don’t like and I would hate for Gw2 to implement such a weak system of spying on other players equipment. And dueling them too.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I want to see other players gear.
If you ask them to show you, they will be afk, or busy, and you need to click on every item of your gear in chat and show it like that – it takes too much time. People are lazy and nobody wants to link their gear 100 times.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

they are adding open world dueling at some point. It’s mentioned in a interview and i will dig it up if anyone likes…i try to post it everytime a duel thread gets made…which is like once a week.

As for inspect, i’m all for it, but blablabla elitism blablabla this argument never goes well. It boggles my mind how ‘end game’ in GW2 is collecting various exotic gears but no one can look at them beyond seeing your character avatar, and then people argue to keep it that way.

Not wanting inspect has nothing to do with elitism. It has to do with it’s none of your kittening business. Anymore then it’s your right to walk into my house and look through my closet. You wanna know, you can ask or kitten off.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sleel.8365

Sleel.8365

Ok, thats a valid point, what about pvp servers?

What about go to the mist and use an empty arena?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

Not wanting inspect has nothing to do with elitism. It has to do with it’s none of your kittening business. Anymore then it’s your right to walk into my house and look through my closet. You wanna know, you can ask or kitten off.

GW2 is a MMO that focuses on group effort and cooperation, so i do have a vested interest in at least being aware of what type of gear you have. And looking at your gear in a teamwork oriented game is not even close to going into your house and looking in your closet. If your that bothered by other players “intruding” on you then you might be more comfortable in a single player game.

I hear the argument “you want to know, just ask!” all the time and while that is a great work around, it doesn’t take into account afk players or people that cant be bothered to share their gear.

/inspecting someone’s gear doesn’t effect the other player in any way, as opposed to asking them about their gear, which not only disrupts the player, but it requires two individual player actions to accomplish what could be done unobtrusively with /inspect.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Run Away PLZ.7639

Run Away PLZ.7639

no to inspecting others gears although someone said only skin and that might not be too bad but ya inspecting gear might cause lots of kicking that stuff already happens though sometimes not often people running low level dungeons and only allowing level 80’s in but then again it is their right to do that if they want to and there is nothing stopping those same people right now they can always demands you to post gear and if you don’t they will kick you.

In summary if they introduced it I don’t think it would be that big of a change except for maybe some more people doing it since it becomes easier to look at everyones guild.

-I like the idea of dueling but ya there are probably some people who would go about ruining it for everyone by challenging people and insulting them if they refuse. But then again with custom arena that can already happen but with challenges it would definitely make it easier and more common but I like to hope people are more mature than that but this is the internet.

in Suggestions

negerleif.2106

Duels are not PvP.
And yes this game badly needs duelling!
its a perfect thing for: when you dont know what to do. or you want to try a new build, maybe see whos a better, fighter you or your friend/guildie.

some of the best moments i ever had in this game is when i encounter someone in WvW that just want to fight some duels. (almost never happens)

so why not have a duelling option for PvE?
it would bring so much more to the community, like betting and unofficial tournaments.

And with an auto decline option there is no problem with the few people that will use this feature to mess with people.

I mean come on! lets be honest do you really think it will be as much “duel me bro” as you claim?

Im sure that it will work out fine!

and if people really wanted to go around and be like “duel me bro!” they would already do it for Spvp, so why would they start if we get a duelling feature?

and for the love of god! not instanced!!

PS!! Dont leave any negative “duel me brah” comments please!
If you dont like duels then this is not a thread for you.
And please respect this thread even if you are against it, and keep a muture attitude.

thanks for reading!

in Suggestions

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

For the love of god, stop spamming new duel threads.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

in Suggestions

negerleif.2106

For the love of god, stop spamming new duel threads.

can you read?

in Suggestions

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Thread title totally misleading. This is not a needed feature for PVE.

Thought this was going to be a suggestion for better AI for mobs or something useful…. such disappointment in this thread.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.