Sylvari facial expressions and running animation

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ashelor.5046

Ashelor.5046

I have tried making a Sylvari character but every time i was just too ANNOYED as hell by their constant change of facial expression.
Seriously you cannot see how their face looks straight.
This is specially annoying on females when they make that stupid grin every 5 seconds.
Imo it should be toned down or removed completely.
How can their bark(skin) move in such a way is beyond me?

After suffering through their stupid grins in character creation and getting into game i had to suffer through their out of combat running animation cause it is just ridiculous (legs flapping all over the place).
Their combat animations are same as human, so why not out of combat animations as well?

Is it just me or did any1 else notice (and was annoyed by) this?

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ba air.1372

Ba air.1372

Eh, the only thing that’s even mildly bothered me is how hard it is to get a screenshot of my main’s face because he doesn’t keep his head still. I like their running animations to be honest.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Barbara.4365

Barbara.4365

I don’t really like raging about stuff, but I can’t agree more. I’ve actually deleted my Sylvari because I just couldn’t get used to the running animation, after playing my main charr, where the animations are simply stunning. A fix would be nice, same with face expressions.

in Sylvari

Posted by: JonasV.4209

JonasV.4209

I believe the running thing is intended. As soon as I got into the stress test right before launch I noticed it. They run like a child runs, the logical assumption is that they run like that because most sylvari are very young and from movement perspective running on two legs is one of the most challenging things for children to master. It makes sense to me at least. As for the facial animations, I like them personally, but I have only made female sylvari so i can’t comment on the males.

Now if you want to complain about running animations look at the charr. I cannot play charr characters for more than a couple hours because of the ridiculously slow run animations. It looks like a cat running in slow-mo. Something on four legs should not move like that. It literally bugs the hell out of me.

~ Tarnished Coast ~ Sylvari Necromancer ~

in Sylvari

Posted by: Passiflora.2047

Passiflora.2047

The run I think looks a little silly on both genders, but I find it rather endearing. But then I see my Sylvari as cute rather than elegant or tough, so it might bug me if I wanted a character like that.

As for the female idle animation, while I wouldn’t be as harsh as the OP, I mostly agree with the sentiment. I find the frequent grin/glare to be annoying, though IMHO it really depends on the face you choose. I chose a face that already has a slight smile built-in, and on that face the animation is a bit too much for me. I haven’t had this issue with my male Sylvari, as their facial expression doesn’t seem to be all over the map in their idle animation. They move a lot, but no random big grins or anything.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Dark.6083

Dark.6083

The Charr’s run looks fine if you’re on the lower end of the size scale, because they have to match the animation to your speed. I can’t take the clipping on their tails though, so no Charr ranger for me.

My Sylvari’s grin is adorable, especially when she’s dancing. I can totally hear “Weeeeeeeeee!” just from her facial expression.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

I noticed that my character does grin quite a bit. But nothing too overbearing from my experience. And I actually love how they run. When I play my Human character, I miss my Sylvari due to the running animation (humans just feel like they’re jogging).

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

in Sylvari

Posted by: Thryck.6153

Thryck.6153

I like the Sylvari animations, especially the facial ones. It fits for a race that’s all about adventuring and learning as much as they can to pass it on to other Sylvari still in the Dream. They’re curious and the inquisitive facial animations suit them perfectly.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Feycat.4370

Feycat.4370

The grin on my Sylvari’s faces during their idle animations and while dancing is, to me, one of the BEST things about the characters. LOVE IT.

Game enjoyment increases as time spent on the forums decreases.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Jaana.7613

Jaana.7613

The grin on my Sylvari’s faces during their idle animations … is, to me, one of the BEST things about the characters. LOVE IT.

I couldn’t agree more – if they changed that I would be heartbroken.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I prefer the Sylvari running animation, it’s a little bouncier than the human’s (though very similar, at least on the male) and fits them well.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

in Sylvari

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Yeah, chalk me up as someone who finds the female Sylvari running and idling quite endearing.

in Sylvari

Posted by: AlienMagi.7102

AlienMagi.7102

Running animation on male sylvari is pretty awesome so…. /disagree

in Sylvari

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

I like the way my Sylvari runs. As many people stated Norns and Charr look like the are in slo-mo even though they are running the same speed.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Tebasil.4961

Tebasil.4961

My main charachter is a Sylvari, and the only thing that i dont like is that they smile everytime.My Sylvari is a thief! Why would she smile all the time?

in Sylvari

Dark.6083

My Sylvari is a thief! Why would she smile all the time?

’cause she likes her new shinies?

in Sylvari

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I like the grinning, with respect to the near child-like innocence of the race.

But I may be embracing that aspect too readily.

in Sylvari

Posted by: riku.2091

riku.2091

I agree. Love the animations! Very childlike, so I think it fits.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Timbersword.9014

Timbersword.9014

I’m hopping onto the “love my Sylvari” band wagon. I only tried them out out of curiosity. The only reason I haven’t rerolled my Human warrior into a Sylvari warrior is the female human figure and decent, longer hair choices. Some heavy armor looks great on a female Sylvari, some heavy armor looks a little blocky for some reason.

Then I need to work in a male Sylvari. Third face reminds me of Garrus, and the way it glows in the dark can only be described as BAD A**.

My only real gripe with the Sylvari is the glow effect though. Seems only orange and to a lesser extent red glows really show up in the dark, everything else a tad bit weak.

Oh, and that there are only two heavy armor classes as seems standard with MMO’s anymore, but this is hardly a related issue.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Vortex.5146

Vortex.5146

I like the animations as well. There’s something about them that makes the character sort of innocent. And to be honest, I did not even want to roll a Sylvari at first. I only did it because I wanted to see the Sylvari story and now I’m making this my main character.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Digital Dragon.2697

Digital Dragon.2697

When my Sylvari looks around, she gets a crazy wide eyed look. It’s kinda annoying, but it’s brief so I live with it. She also runs like she got a big ol’ booty lol.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

I love the running animation it seems much lighter and flowing than the human run, which I do not like. To each his own.

in Sylvari

Posted by: GamerGirl.1496

GamerGirl.1496

I love the running animation especially if she is carrying something. It looks so childlike…kind of like she taking her new shiny and going around trying to find someone to show it to. The idol grin can be a bit cheesy at times but I can live with it.

A sylvari female running really isn’t any worse than the hair flipping and never ending stretching motion that female humans do. >.>

in Sylvari

Dark.6083

My only real gripe with the Sylvari is the glow effect though. Seems only orange and to a lesser extent red glows really show up in the dark, everything else a tad bit weak.

You’ve tried cranking the glow to max?

I kinda like my subtle Cyan glow… but it’s subtle, even on max.

in Sylvari

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I love the sylvari idle anims so throw me on that bandwagon.

Females are especially adorable when equipped with 2 pistols

in Sylvari

Posted by: gibby.9328

gibby.9328

i love the running animation and i hope they never touch it

in Sylvari

Posted by: Zarrak.3247

Zarrak.3247

I, too, like the faces and animations. The over the top sexualized things bother me in games.
I can’t stand baywatch animations in games, either – the sylvari running animations are the only ones that are fast, bouncy, and powerful enough to feel like “running.” I also have signet of shadows, so an extra 25% makes my character feel so powerfully fast.

I also came across face #3 and said “omg Garrus!” and that was it. With the orange glow and a mask, it’s a wicked looking face – no Sylvari-innocence left there, heh.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ageia.5843

Ageia.5843

I don’t really like raging about stuff, but I can’t agree more. I’ve actually deleted my Sylvari because I just couldn’t get used to the running animation, after playing my main charr, where the animations are simply stunning. A fix would be nice, same with face expressions.

Isn’t our perspective funny? I can’t create a Charr because I think they look ridiculous and I hate nearly everything about the way they look, run, move, fight, sound… But I love the animations for the Sylvari. Different folks like different things I guess

in Sylvari

Posted by: Ravager Hughesy.1328

Ravager Hughesy.1328

Solution to all of your problems: Roll a male Sylvari and make him http://i.imgur.com/pm8gm.gif

Sylvari really can’t do tough. I love my Sylvari’s run animation. But then, he’s also pink with purple hair and a bright pink glow and intentionally girly so I don’t hate him.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Niji.8034

Niji.8034

Solution to all of your problems: Roll a male Sylvari and make him http://i.imgur.com/pm8gm.gif

xD
laughed so hard @ gif

I have a girly male Sylvari too, my boyfriend always calls him the “gay little prince” but I love him nevertheless! (My Sylvari! Well, my boyfriend too xD) The gif fits him so well

Lazul – Sylvari – Elementalist
Drakkar-See[De]

in Sylvari

Posted by: Hansiman.4962

Hansiman.4962

I have tried making a Sylvari character but every time i was just too ANNOYED as hell by their constant change of facial expression.
Seriously you cannot see how their face looks straight.
This is specially annoying on females when they make that stupid grin every 5 seconds.

But this is what makes her so cute D=

in Sylvari

Posted by: AliceKaye.1903

AliceKaye.1903

I had that issue with the face because my first Sylvari’s facial choice kept opening her eyes really wide and it looked odd.

However, aside from that small issue, I like the running animation a lot.

Arcanist Norri | Ceirynn | Darbii | Emlyn | Nyssi | Teltiu
Alice Kaye’s Twitter

in Sylvari

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

I think the game is overtuned as far as periodic animations and sounds go.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Johnny Boi.4980

Johnny Boi.4980

I love the running animation! It reminds me of trees swaying in the wind

And for the facial expressions; I find they show the shyer, young side of who they are, which is perfect!

in Sylvari

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I’ve never even noticed major oddities in the running animations in either my male or female Sylvari. Then again, my other characters are Charr and Asura (humans are boring :p) so I guess I don’t really have much to compare to, since both of those races have extremlely distinct animations. The sylvari end up being the “normal” ones of the group.

I’ll have to look more closely next time, see if I can spot some of the intracacies mentioned in the thread.

I have noticed the female’s idle animation, and I love it. Looking around with an expression of amazement and wonder fits the race perfectly, and aside from fitting well I think it looks really nice.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

LOL “arms and legs flapping around” I love the way they run, and how easily amused they seem to be, you have to remember that this is a species that is 25 years old in it’s entirety and the one you play was JUST born so it’s quite literally a child. It fits them tremendously well and I hope it never changes.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Sonvil.3670

Sonvil.3670

tbh, I’d prefer if they kept their out of combat running animation for their combat running animation. Imho, its the best running animation this games females have to offer.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Darknass.1903

Darknass.1903

dear op, you sir, are silly.

that being said, the animations all around are perfect, and if you don’t like them the door is over there.

HoD – Ranger, Ele, Guard, Engie.

“The best defense is a strong offense.”

in Sylvari

Posted by: HumaCarrionEater.8254

HumaCarrionEater.8254

I haven’t really noticed with my male Syl, but I love my female Syl’s running animation.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Kaine.3501

Kaine.3501

At least sylvari facial expressions can be covered up with armor……however their head permanently looking to the side cannot.

Attachments:

Server: Kaineng
Name: “Kaide” (Kaine is just the account name)

in Sylvari

Posted by: Doolio.1865

Doolio.1865

I bought the game about a week ago and I am still browsing through the races/professions and I can say that, personally, I find the female Sylvari OoC running animation the best in the game. And I am not saying that just from the “appealing” aspect, but from the aspects of anatomy and motion capture efficacy.

in Sylvari

Posted by: ZachHolz.2769

ZachHolz.2769

Mine does smile a lot… but I have alway’s thought it fit with the culture… And I haven’t noticed anything bothersome about the run…

in Sylvari

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

as mentioned; the animations make sense (head turning as they’re more openly inquisitive than other races – i guess it could be annoying for screenshots – but i never had a problem with it)

i flip between liking/disliking the running/prancing
sometimes i think it awesome/funny
sometimes i think its horrible (and try to always keep my weapon drawn whilst running)

if you dont like it then play as another race?

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

in Sylvari

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

the running animation is actually one of the more realistic ones. it’s the in combat animation that looks incredibly ridiculous.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

in Sylvari

Posted by: BabelFish.7234

BabelFish.7234

the running animation is actually one of the more realistic ones. it’s the in combat animation that looks incredibly ridiculous.

Yeah when mine holds her pistol she looks like the weight might break her wrist. Oh well. I still <3 her.

in Sylvari

Posted by: Karlobster.9473

Karlobster.9473

Dunno bout you guys but my Sylvari looks pretty menacing. lulz

Attachments:

in Sylvari

Posted by: joykafka.4308

joykafka.4308

I like how a sylvari runs. The way the male tree scratches his “hair” is a bit discouraging though. Perhaps they are timid and shy and inward.

On the otherhand, although my charr is the most handsome among all races, I just couldn’t stand for how it moon jumps in slow motion, not to mention a few hours. It was a great pain to be honest.