"Finish Them!" in PVE -- no, please?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

Seriously, if I wanted to have to “Finish Them” with foes, I’d be in PvP or WvW. I do not like the idea of being FORCED to finish foes in PvE, with multiple mobs still trying to kill my happy little buns, in PvE! Yep, may get flamed for this, but hey. I’m a PvE bunny. I don’t ask that my PvE preferences be carted over to PvE/WvW, I do ask that those preferences not become a requirement in PvE. So far, I’m really happy with everything else in this story, but that part of it’s really, REALLY beginning to peeve me.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I like it, it kind of enforces that the enemies aren’t exactly squishy, also lets me show off my dolyak or wolf finisher, and it’s not like it’ll ever be a majority of enemies, just some types here and there. though I do see how this could become annoying fast.

in Tower of Nightmares

Isende.2607

Problem is, they ARE squishy. It’s just, in my opinion, a colossal waste of time.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Timze.7980

Timze.7980

The finishing doesn’t even make sense when there is that stupid banner coming. Without that banner that would make more sense.

But about how I feel about the idea; just horrible…

If you are reading this, you are only waisting your time!
Still reading this? You know there is something better to be done for sure. -.-’’

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Problem is, they ARE squishy. It’s just, in my opinion, a colossal waste of time.

well, I don’t think they’re intended to be squishy.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

I like it. It forces you to make sure they die dead enough before moving onto your next target. Kinda kills the fire and forget thing.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Did you ever stop and think that in order to do the Halloween finisher achievment some people didn’t want to go into either WvW or the heart of the mists?

Sometimes when they implement things such as this it is to try to make the purely PvEers happy. Maybe deal with it for now and when the Halloween is over then complain. For now though I am sure many players that didn’t know how to complete the achievement will be happy they can finally do it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Isende.2607

Tommy, don’t be so … combative? I believe? Please. No, actually, I didn’t think that. given that statement, perhaps it’ll only be a limited time thing? All I can say is that for an only-PvE player, I hate it. I believe it’s a bad implementation, and if it continues and spreads to all mobs, I’m going to be seriously put-off my GW2. And that will sadden me. I dislike, greatly, things the slow me down, and this is a useless slowing … excepting, of course, the valid point you actually DID make, combative or not.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

I laughed as I saw the “finish them” button today, right after 50+ characters run over 1 mob. I highly doubt that the mob actually stood a chance to get out of that one, but it was defiantly entertaining

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Personally, I don’t see why PvE creatures didn’t have downed-states to begin with.

They made a huge deal about it, yet their PvE wasn’t build around it. Why not?!
If (sentient?) creatures had downed states, their basic AI could have been made more interesting – Like more frequent auto-attacks (letting us make use of confuse/retaliation), or shorter aggro + longer leashing, etc..

OP, like with many previous content releases, if you don’t like it, DON’T PARTICIPCATE.

People who don’t care about large-scale raids steer clear of Tequatl. People who dislike Dungeons don’t be trekking into the Aetherblades path. Etcetera, etcetera…

I, for one, am glad they are introducing Downed-states and “Finishing” to PvE.

Yes, it wasn’t tedious enough before killing brainless mobs that spam conditions, now you get to run over and finish them whilst the other 5 spam aoe conditions at the spot you are now standing on…

Don’t forget knockbacks, knockdowns, etc.

This means they can afford to reduce the HP of these mobs and tune them in more ways, whereas before, their main answer to making PvE more challenging is:

GIVE THEM MORE HEALTH

Hope that helps you see this topic from a new perspective.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

in Tower of Nightmares

Tommyknocker.6089

Didn’t mean to come across as combative, I was just making a statement. I do admit that I see many people both here and in the game bemoaning ANet and the way they implement things only to finally see their logic later. I am not defending everything they do (teq was poorly implemented) but I have to believe that they do things such as this for a reason, and in turn give them the benefit of the doubt.

Again, sorry if i came across as rude.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I don’t care for it either but if you bought a finisher it gives you a way to use it.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Time Muffin.6047

Time Muffin.6047

I assumed it was a bug

Really stupid addition.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

I personally like the touch of the down states. Gives more tactical feeling when you are with a small group with large enemies to make sure to finish them off before they rally.
Not to mention I get to see the nice finishers that come with it.

Small things like this unify the game a bit more. Allowing players even focused in different modes such as PVE and such to still get a bit of experience and play in others without being totally lost.
I find its better than people lazily holding down the 1 button all day.

Duty is heavier than death.

in Tower of Nightmares

Isende.2607

My point — if it becomes the norm, then there’s no way to avoid it. They have, in the past, “slowly” allowed things to creep in, then implemented them full-scale. I’d like not to see that happen, here.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

I actually quite like this.

Gives me a chance to actually use my bought finishers, as I don’t PVP much. It also makes combat more challenging and can add strategies to combat.

I don’t know how I’d feel about all enemies having this feature, but I wouldn’t mind it being used more in the future. If anything, at least all human enemies should have downed state, but downed state on mobs like spiders, skales, and ettins would be silly.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Did you ever stop and think that in order to do the Halloween finisher achievment some people didn’t want to go into either WvW or the heart of the mists?

Yes, i did, so i checked – they don’t give points for that achievement.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in Tower of Nightmares

Tommyknocker.6089

Then that is a bug and should be reported as such.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Whitey.6185

Whitey.6185

It’s not a bug. Read the achievement, it says use 20 scarecrow or mad king stomps against players in PvP or WvW.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I understand the wish to make money on finishers, but this is a poorly implemented idea for pve in my opinion and doesn’t really make any of my pve friends wish to join pvp.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

in Tower of Nightmares

Tommyknocker.6089

It’s not a bug. Read the achievement, it says use 20 scarecrow or mad king stomps against players in PvP or WvW.

I stand corrected, I’m at work and couldn’t check the requirements; thanks.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Personally, I don’t see why PvE creatures didn’t have downed-states to begin with.

They made a huge deal about it, yet their PvE wasn’t build around it. Why not?!
If (sentient?) creatures had downed states, their basic AI could have been made more interesting – Like more frequent auto-attacks (letting us make use of confuse/retaliation), or shorter aggro + longer leashing, etc..

OP, like with many previous content releases, if you don’t like it, DON’T PARTICIPCATE.

People who don’t care about large-scale raids steer clear of Tequatl. People who dislike Dungeons don’t be trekking into the Aetherblades path. Etcetera, etcetera…

I, for one, am glad they are introducing Downed-states and “Finishing” to PvE.

I agree. It should have been in PvE originally, but maybe the AI didn’t support it. They only recently started introducing it with the Clockwork Chaos patch a month or two ago. What’s new about it is that certain mobs are tagged as “rezzers” who are bound and determined to get the down-state mobs back up. That’s probably the AI that was lacking and would make the downstate otherwise pointless without it. Now that they have it, it can be introduced more and more as content gets pumped to the players.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Celebratty.1632

Celebratty.1632

Just keep spamming your aoes and collect your loot, then. If pressing F is too much for you and is too much “WvW and PvP”, they die anyway from damage.

Lulu [LGN] Anvil Rock
Garbage at every profession 2015

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

It can potentially add an interest mechanic to it. They could extent this to enemies using other downed skills apart from heal and basic attack, which could bring about some interesting fights.

Also, other enemies will go and res their allies, what we have so far isn’t that great but they could really work with that to bring about some interesting synergies between enemies.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

I hate it, because when trying to loot and spam “F” I stop mid path to try and finish foes off. It’s annoying. Make it so it’s a different key for looting and finishing and it would be fine (This would also solve that problem in WvW).

Edit: I didn’t know they had already implemented this feature. Awesome!

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

(edited by Charming Rogue.8071)

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

I hate it, because when trying to loot and spam “F” I stop mid path to try and finish foes off. It’s annoying. Make it so it’s a different key for looting and finishing and it would be fine (This would also solve that problem in WvW).

uhm you can change your keys for loot or am I reading this wrong?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Pie Formation.8196

Pie Formation.8196

Make it so it’s a different key for looting and finishing and it would be fine (This would also solve that problem in WvW).

This is already available. Bind a key to aoe loot.

Miyazawa Kengo — Nefarious Mushroom Plan [gasp] — Stormbluff Isle
“Come! Break your weapons upon me!”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I don’t like finishers in PvE for two reasons.

1. It’s immersion-breaking. I know, I know, it’s GW2, so what immersion? But I like to still try at least a little to feel like the story is actually happening. I will suspend disbelief when I can and GW2 doesn’t need even more elements that make that harder.
  2. What motivation could ANet possibly have to introduce finishers into PvE a year after release, other than to sell more finishers via the gem store?

Now enemies in PvE getting downed, with the ability to heal each other or themselves, is fine. I have nothing against that, in fact I appreciate it as it adds another element to combat itself.

Just… not with the super big, nonsense, gem store finisher animations, please.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

I find it really odd to use a wvw finishing move in pve. After all, in wvw it’s an actual player ur finishing so it has a smidge of significance but in pve, mobs are not normally anything special or unique. It feels out of place and i can’t help but think that anet are tying to bring the 2 game modes closer together.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

There is another possible reason for the finisher. When the creature is downed, it has more health and can still be tagged for kill credit. In the massive zergs it’s not always possible to hit the creature while it’s up. With the downed state, it’s allowing more people to hit the creature for kill credit.

I’m glad that the finish moves now use your finisher unlike the scarlet invasions where you had to finish the creatures but nothing showed. If I have to finish them, I’d rather it was this way.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

I absolutely love it. Bought two finishers that I otherwise would not have bought (which means I now nearly have them all). It’s a very good move, they should have done way sooner. Busineswise, it’s a very smart one, too.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Clark Skinner.4902

Clark Skinner.4902

I think the goal of game design should be to give players as much fun as possible while respecting their limited time. So activities (in any game) like backtracking, New Game+, slow movement speed, gated content etc., I take personally as a sign of disrespect to my limited time and energy.

In this case, the spiking encourages Finisher sales. In my opinion, this change intentionally made the game worse to make more money.
I would encourage Anet to intentionally make the game better to make more money.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: kamedin.4698

kamedin.4698

I would like to believe that the down state on the select enemies (the Nightmare court) are to show that these are not just the regular enemies. They have a power or determination about them that you have to completely rid of their corpse. I just hope it won’t be the norm for every single PvE enemy in the world or it will make it take a lot longer.

Lyscir – Main Engi
[????] – HoD

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Hurrakan.4259

Hurrakan.4259

I would prefer if the whole “downed” concept was removed entirely. Sometimes when downed, you are unable to res yourself and then you have to wait for ages until you die just so you can respawn – sitting, waiting, not able to do anything is boring and frustrating. It would help if there was a suicide option when downed.

Also, finishing is basically cold-blooded murder, and I don’t want to always kill my enemies in cold-blood (I’m a merciful guardian of light!).

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

Just popping in regarding the mad king finisher achievement… I just equipped it and I am at 6/20 stomps, I never WvW so no other way I would have gotten it. Funny though because I am quite certain I have killed more than 6 nightmare court. Just throwing this out there. Perhaps they only count in the instance (that is where I saw my first achievement popup for it).

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Isende.2607

In my opinion, this change intentionally made the game worse to make more money.

I would encourage Anet to intentionally make the game better to make more money.

couldn’t have said it better meself

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

“finish them !” in PvE is fine…..

move along….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

Please use this logic to explain to me why I can’t work on my stupid Mercenary achievement in wvw without seeing a countdown to germination.

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

“finish them !” in PvE is fine…..

move along….

Azizul says it’s fine everybody!! No need to discuss it anymore, he has spoken.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: aliksyian.7642

aliksyian.7642

I like it. It can potentially add some more complexity to combat.

Hide user’s posts on forum with chrome tampermonkey script: http://pastebin.com/aaUQr3pm

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

Awesome addition that shows potential for some interesting encounters. I also like that the GS mob dodge rolls. Hope that’s a sign of smarter AI to come.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Nihilus.3015

Nihilus.3015

It would make the game a lot easier. I down one and the rest walk over to him and into my massive aoes BAHAHA

AmateurNet

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Krag.6210

Krag.6210

I like it. It can potentially add some more complexity to combat.

I’d say it’s just a way to sell more gem store finishers, expect more of these “Finish Him!” in PVE.
On the bright side, it’s finally something you can bring from PVP to show off in PVE.

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

The finishing doesn’t even make sense when there is that stupid banner coming. Without that banner that would make more sense.

But about how I feel about the idea; just horrible…

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/18048-thoughts-on-finish-them-animation/

They were supposed to be mere placeholder, but Anet “probably” was forced to ship before the game was ready and so we have the current lap dance pole.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

Yet another change that ultimately slows down the entire process. You guys might like it the first 100 times, but really – are you going to enjoy spiking things a year from now when you’re working towards a legendary or ascended armor?

No, you’re going to want your loot to (maybe?) drop and move on.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Alilinke.7690

Alilinke.7690

I like it. It gives PvP players a chance to show off their rank in PvE.

[nA] Professional Guild Hall Decorator

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Rei Mizser.7651

Rei Mizser.7651

I love the finisher thing in PvE, I dont like PvP but I like finishers and in PvE I can finally use it

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

Oh come on, it’s fun and no different from Scarlet and finishers. Don’t like it? Then don’t do it…..simple Just keep hitting em with whatever you use. Adds a bit of fun to the mix which is sorely needed. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

in Tower of Nightmares

Isende.2607

keep hitting, you’re fighting the heals they’re taking from their buddies — and it takes a WHILE to get’em all the way down. my question here — the people who love it, by and large? just how much time do you really spend in pve?

in Tower of Nightmares

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

I find it really odd to use a wvw finishing move in pve. After all, in wvw it’s an actual player ur finishing so it has a smidge of significance but in pve, mobs are not normally anything special or unique. It feels out of place and i can’t help but think that anet are tying to bring the 2 game modes closer together.

Considering the mobs don’t really do anything in their downed state to me it just looks like an up-sell for gem store finishers for pvers.