Precursors selling for 65 Gold on TP!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I was doing some research, and discovered that there are Precursors being sold for super cheap on the TP as I type! The image I’m attaching will shatter the mythos of Precursors being too expensive. These Precursors aren’t 2,000 Gold. Or 1,500 Gold. Or even 1,000 Gold. Amazingly, the price is between 90 to 115 Gold!!! How exactly did these deals go unnoticed for so long?

Attachments:

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Wolfield.9812

Wolfield.9812

Its the materials that you use when making a legendary that make it expensive. No one is willing to waste 1k gold on other stuff for a bad legendary.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I was doing some research, and discovered that there are Precursors being sold for super cheap on the TP as I type! The image I’m attaching will shatter the mythos of Precursors being too expensive. These Precursors aren’t 2,000 Gold. Or 1,500 Gold. Or even 1,000 Gold. Amazingly, the price is between 90 to 115 Gold!!! How exactly did these deals go unnoticed for so long?

Because no one uses torches. And the vast majority of people won’t fight in the water unless necessary and who wants to spend their time showing off a legendary underwater?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Its the materials that you use when making a legendary that make it expensive. No one is willing to waste 1k gold on other stuff for a bad legendary.

What are you talking about mate? Legendary weapons are the top tier luxury items in this game. I just offered proof that Precursors are highly affordable to nearly anyone, including new players.

this precursors you posted are nothing worth cause they are useless

I beg to differ. Rodgort’s is an awesome looking Legendary. The animations are top notch. The torch head almost looks alive. And if they were so useless, then why would someone have purchased my Rodgort’s Flame listing from the TP?

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Armed Silon Il.4597

Armed Silon Il.4597

the legendary hunter’s might like the fact that torch and underwater precursors are <100g each mind you
Valid thread imo

Znaaff (Ele)
Jinxta Fleshrender (Necro)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

What are you talking about mate? Legendary weapons are the top tier luxury items in this game. I just offered proof that Precursors are highly affordable to nearly anyone, including new players.

I beg to differ. Rodgort’s is an awesome looking Legendary. The animations are top notch. The torch head almost looks alive. And if they were so useless, then why would someone have purchased my Rodgort’s Flame listing from the TP?

Because from a mechanic perspective, they make the three least useful weapons in the game.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Smooth Penguin.5294

Because from a mechanic perspective, they make the three least useful weapons in the game.

It’s not an issue about mechanics. It’s more about the art/design of the weapon, and the status of having a Legendary.

Also, there’s a common misconception being spread by other players that Precursors are “overpriced” or “expensive”. After doing some research, I’ve successfully countered all those claims.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Unholey.3264

Unholey.3264

stupid thread

noone care for underwater weapons or and torch

False.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I am going to build 2 torches for the title and 25 AP lol

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I bought the torch a couple a months ago. I saw it was 85 gold and grabbed it. Maybe it makes one of the lesser used Legendary in the game (shrug) but my Ranger and my Mesmer can both use it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

It’s not an issue about mechanics. It’s more about the art/design of the weapon, and the status of having a Legendary.

Also, there’s a common misconception being spread by other players that Precursors are “overpriced” or “expensive”. After doing some research, I’ve successfully countered all those claims.

Comon — your post is total snark, and a waste of time. You know as well as anyone why those precursors are cheap. Can we assume you’ll give fair-time to another post about how expensive the other precursors are? If not, you’re just a troll.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I think the point has been lost on a lot of people Smooth, and I’m finding it hilarious.

The threads that say “precursors are too expensive” all have a common thread: They are all talking about the MOST DEMANDED weapons in the game, and complaining that they don’t have one. If they wanted a legendary, they have a cheap option available but they don’t want that, they want the same one that everyone else wants, which means that they can’t have it unless they are willing to spend a ton of gold on it (or create it themselves in the forge). Smooth is simply illustrating that there is a huge price range available and that suggests that the “problem” is high demand.

Whenever there is high demand and low supply, you have to offer more money than everyone else if you want to buy one. There are legendary options available for significantly less money because their demand is very, very low.

Server: Devona’s Rest

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

The problem, mtpelion, is the sort of geniuses who make “precursors are too expensive” threads aren’t going to understand the subtle point this thread makes.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

I think the point has been lost on a lot of people Smooth, and I’m finding it hilarious.

The threads that say “precursors are too expensive” all have a common thread: They are all talking about the MOST DEMANDED weapons in the game, and complaining that they don’t have one. If they wanted a legendary, they have a cheap option available but they don’t want that, they want the same one that everyone else wants, which means that they can’t have it unless they are willing to spend a ton of gold on it (or create it themselves in the forge). Smooth is simply illustrating that there is a huge price range available and that suggests that the “problem” is high demand.

Whenever there is high demand and low supply, you have to offer more money than everyone else if you want to buy one. There are legendary options available for significantly less money because their demand is very, very low.

Is a legendary:

a) Merely a super-luxury item
or
b) The main long-term goal in a cosmetic-focused game

and if b) Does it make sense (i.e. is it fun?) that a player’s progress towards that goal can be blocked or even erased because timmy plays 8 hours a day or has mom’s credit card?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tree.3916

Does it make sense (i.e. is it fun?) that a player’s progress towards that goal can be blocked or even erased because timmy plays 8 hours a day or has mom’s credit card?

Is that how you think it works? When Timmy logs in to play or uses mom’s credit card the game removes the gold from your inventory?

Or is your position that people who acquire gold faster than you are able to buy things faster than you is somehow a problem that requires fixing?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The problem, mtpelion, is the sort of geniuses who make “precursors are too expensive” threads aren’t going to understand the subtle point this thread makes.

More like they’re going to ignore it anyway, because they were never talking about precursors in general in the first place.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. YouknowwhatImean…

in Black Lion Trading Co

thehipone.6812

Does it make sense (i.e. is it fun?) that a player’s progress towards that goal can be blocked or even erased because timmy plays 8 hours a day or has mom’s credit card?

Is that how you think it works? When Timmy logs in to play or uses mom’s credit card the game removes the gold from your inventory?

Or is your position that people who acquire gold faster than you are able to buy things faster than you is somehow a problem that requires fixing?

Understanding fail.

My point was that the gap never closes. You farmed 500g since the beginning of May. You started 1000g away from buying your pre. Meanwhile, timmy and his buddies have ground out 1500g and bid up the prices. You are still 1000g away from getting there = you made no progress.

(edited by thehipone.6812)

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

and if b) Does it make sense (i.e. is it fun?) that a player’s progress towards that goal can be blocked or even erased because timmy plays 8 hours a day or has mom’s credit card?

That’s just avoiding the basic issue altogether… much like the real world, some people measure their personal worth by comparing the things they have to the things other people have. IRL comparisons include things like your job title, income, luxury cars, expensive clothes, trophy wife, etc. In-game things include exclusive items like that Liadri minipet which can only be obtained in specific ways, or rare/expensive items like Legendary weapons, the Greatsaw sword skin, etc.

In another game the exclusive items may involve going to a specific area of the game world and waiting days to weeks to months for a rare creature to spawn, or killing thousands of a specific kind of mob looking for a rare items that drops only from those creatures. Or it may mean joining a raiding guild and running the same dungeon over and over again every Wednesday night from 6-9 collecting tokens or waiting for a specific item to drop. In this game it means doing whatever you want to do in order to save up the gold to buy the items you want from the TP.

No matter what is involved, in real life and in an MMO, there will always be those who are jealous of what other people have but don’t want to do the things they need to do to get those things for themselves. Personally I think they would be a lot happier if they focused on what they actually wanted rather than focusing on what other people have. But that’s just me.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

And this is why I keep telling everyone that the prices of precursors are not bad at all.

If don’t want to pay 1500g for a precursor, fine. There’s one right here for 90g.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Tree.3916

Understanding fail.

My point was that the gap never closes. You farmed 500g since the beginning of May. You started 1000g away from buying your pre. Meanwhile, timmy and his buddies have ground out 1500g and bid up the prices. You are still 1000g away from getting there = you made no progress.

No, I completely understood. You strike me as one of those people who assumes anyone who disagrees with them must not understand them because if they understood their point the sheer obviousness of it would cause instant agreement. What you fail to understand is that two people can look at the same data set and draw differing conclusions even if they agree on the underlying numbers.

Your example is flawed for the following reasons…

1. At the most basic level, anyone who is so casual as to only be able to acquire 500g in 3 months (something like 5g per day) should consider whether their goals match their commitment. Perhaps it is reasonable, perhaps it isn’t I make no judgments. But if you do feel like you’re barely treading water to you goal perhaps some re-evaluation is in order. If my goal was to be in the top 1% of competitive PvP and I was only able to put in about 40 minutes per day of practice (roughly 5g worth of playtime) and I found I wasn’t really rising much on the leaderboard I would similarly reconsider if my goal was reasonable.

2. You cherry picked a time post feature patch when demand for Dusk skyrocketed. Just as similarly, I could say that if he had begin grinding January 1, and had 500g on April 1, he would only have been 300g away from his goal. If he had started May 1 2013 and had 500g by Aug 1 2013 he would only have been 100g away.

3. The gap closes. http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/29185 Does that look like inflationary spiral to you? That looks to me like a fairly stable price that had a demand shock in April 2014 and has already begun to level off. If you argue the gap never closes I would have to cite the specific rate of inflation you claim (i.e. the price of dusk is increasing 5g per day and that rate is unchanging) as well as prove that a player’s earnings cannot equal it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’s funny that people use the argument that the cheap precursor prices are not relevant because there’s low demand but when the same argument is used about high precursor prices being because of high demand they completely ignore it.

Precursor prices for the cheap precursors are broken because they should be more in line with the other precursors such as dusk. This needs to be fixed! It’s just not fair that some precursors are cheaper than others.

If anyone has any issue with the second paragraph, but still feels that prices for the higher demand precursors are unfair, you’re being hypocritical. Prices for precursors, such as dusk are where they are because there is a large demand for them.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

in Black Lion Trading Co

tolunart.2095

It’s funny that people use the argument that the cheap precursor prices are not relevant because there’s low demand but when the same argument is used about high precursor prices being because of high demand they completely ignore it.

Precursor prices for the cheap precursors are broken because they should be more in line with the other precursors such as dusk. This needs to be fixed! It’s just not fair that some precursors are cheaper than others.

The only fair solution is to do away with the precursor/gift of … system altogether and sell Legendaries directly through the gem store. At a fair price, reflecting the amount of effort that should go into acquiring them. What is $1,000 US in gems? 80,000?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Ugly girls(or guys whatever floats your boat) get less attention from the opposite sex(or w/e, same deal as before) because attraction isn’t something that follows the rules of fairness. Is it broken that unattractive people get less attention? It sucks for them but its great for the people they happen to be just the right type for.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

There is inflation at play here. I bought Venom for 19g back however long ago I bought it. I bought Rage for 50g a while back….both are now legendaries and I love them.

I made Venom because it is awesome and I couldn’t afford a land based legendary. Same goes for Rage. They’re both amazing.

:p

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Ugly girls(or guys whatever floats your boat) get less attention from the opposite sex(or w/e, same deal as before) because attraction isn’t something that follows the rules of fairness. Is it broken that unattractive people get less attention? It sucks for them but its great for the people they happen to be just the right type for.

You missed the part about me being sarcastic in that paragraph as that’s the typical type of argument people use to justify their opinions about precursor prices for dusk and such. I had included clarification in spoiler tags but it may have been submitted after you had already loaded the page.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

There is inflation at play here. I bought Venom for 19g back however long ago I bought it. I bought Rage for 50g a while back….both are now legendaries and I love them.

I made Venom because it is awesome and I couldn’t afford a land based legendary. Same goes for Rage. They’re both amazing.

:p

Inflation is in this game and nobody can deny it. However, the increase in precursor prices that people are complaining about is not because of inflation. If you disagree, please look up what inflation is and how it is measured.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

right, if you can use any of those. i can’t use rodgort, or a harpoon gun, nor am i interested in the legendary trident.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well regardless of what people think is right and wrong, the devs have seemingly decided that all is NOT well with how things are currently working and will be overhauling the system in the feature patch…

No point in complaining anymore until we see what those changes bring.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Well regardless of what people think is right and wrong, the devs have seemingly decided that all is NOT well with how things are currently working and will be overhauling the system in the feature patch…

No point in complaining anymore until we see what those changes bring.

Link to proof or are you treating player speculation as fact?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Fun for who? (Timmy appears to be happy).
How does Timmy Block or “erase” the progress?

The real question is: Is it a realistic goal for this player (that obviously lacks the time to earn or resources to BUY a Best in Slot visual status symbol (that is totally unnecessary to play the game)?

The choice to pursue a Legendary does not guarantee success (nor should it). The presumption that WANTING a Legendary means you should be able to obtain it by whatever means possible to the player is simply incorrect.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Hmm, even Rage has gone up! I bought mine for less than 45g somewhere around Christmas..

But I like this post. It shows that the majority of the players care not about themselves, but they care about how others see them: “I won’t get an underwater legendary because I can’t show off with it.”

(I got Frenzy because I love underwater combat on my ranger)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Hmm, even Rage has gone up! I bought mine for less than 45g somewhere around Christmas..

But I like this post. It shows that the majority of the players care not about themselves, but they care about how others see them: “I won’t get an underwater legendary because I can’t show off with it.”

(I got Frenzy because I love underwater combat on my ranger)

The only time I go underwater is when the aquatic daily pops up. Or the few fish/shark champions. If you’d like me to make up a number I’d say less than 5% of my game time has been spent under water. So I won’t get a legendary under water weapon, or spend a transmutation charge (I got around 80), or bother obtaining an exotic or a specific stat combo – heck I don’t even care about the aqua breather.

Apart from personal taste it simply shows that these weapons are not used often because they are not “effective” (depending sometimes on PvE/PvP/WvW). Sure some still get them for other reasons, be it collecting or because like you said – they like underwater combat.

Same whyI never bothered with town clothes, because I never saw them. By now I bought several head pieces because I can wear them in combat – which I am in a lot of times – and the outfits because of the same reason.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Black Lion Trading Co

thehipone.6812

No, I completely understood. You strike me as one of those people who assumes anyone who disagrees with them must not understand them because if they understood their point the sheer obviousness of it would cause instant agreement. What you fail to understand is that two people can look at the same data set and draw differing conclusions even if they agree on the underlying numbers.

1. At the most basic level, anyone who is so casual as to only be able to acquire 500g in 3 months (something like 5g per day) should consider whether their goals match their commitment. Perhaps it is reasonable, perhaps it isn’t I make no judgments. But if you do feel like you’re barely treading water to you goal perhaps some re-evaluation is in order. If my goal was to be in the top 1% of competitive PvP and I was only able to put in about 40 minutes per day of practice (roughly 5g worth of playtime) and I found I wasn’t really rising much on the leaderboard I would similarly reconsider if my goal was reasonable.

2. You cherry picked a time post feature patch when demand for Dusk skyrocketed. Just as similarly, I could say that if he had begin grinding January 1, and had 500g on April 1, he would only have been 300g away from his goal. If he had started May 1 2013 and had 500g by Aug 1 2013 he would only have been 100g away.

3. The gap closes. http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/29185 Does that look like inflationary spiral to you? That looks to me like a fairly stable price that had a demand shock in April 2014 and has already begun to level off. If you argue the gap never closes I would have to cite the specific rate of inflation you claim (i.e. the price of dusk is increasing 5g per day and that rate is unchanging) as well as prove that a player’s earnings cannot equal it.

1. Again, I am happy with people achieving their goals at different rates. I guess we fundamentally disagree on the point that two people should be able to progress towards their long term goal at a measured pace. If player A plays twice as much as B, I’m fine with player A finishing in half the time. It is bad IMO when the system is set up currently, and it actually takes player B 4x as long. (see below)

2. A player starting the grind any time from somewhere around last November until now would still be SoL and would not have caught up. The selection of an illustrative time period does not mean that it is the only period that could apply.

3. In stock parlance, that trendline is not broken. See these others and tell me that it is leveling off: Zap
Spark
legend

Drawing a trendline connecting the bottom buy price dips (e.g. Mar 19 = 562g, Jun 13 884 for legend) you get an increase of about 3.75 gold/day. The other three are also around 3.7g/day increase.

If earning 5g/day, fully 75% of your effort goes to just make up for the increase and only 25% of your effort is effective. This functions as a highly regressive tax that severely penalizes those happy to achieve their goal over time. I’m not surprised that the “I earn 50g/day” crowd doesn’t feel it, because they dont.

Call the inflation rate I, and earnings per day A, and price today P0. The point where the person will close the gap is (A-I)*# of days = P0.
If we take P0 = 750 gold, with I = 3.7 g/day and A =5 g/day as above, it will take 578 days for someone starting now to close the gap (at a price of ~2900g). At 10g/day it takes 120 days to catch up (price ~1200g). So the person playing half as much needs to farm over 2x the gold and “work” 2x harder in total.

Again, not an issue of not wanting to put in the work – IMO the core issue of being able to put in work at a reasonable pace and still make progress.

(edited by thehipone.6812)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

It’s not inflation.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Rage was 30g a while ago and I failed to pick one up in time!

Still made Frenzy, it’s beautiful. I don’t care if other players see it. I like to look at it.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

1. Again, I am happy with people achieving their goals at different rates. I guess we fundamentally disagree on the point that two people should be able to progress towards their long term goal at a measured pace. If player A plays twice as much as B, I’m fine with player A finishing in half the time. It is bad IMO when the system is set up currently, and it actually takes player B 4x as long. (see below)

2. A player starting the grind any time from somewhere around last November until now would still be SoL and would not have caught up. The selection of an illustrative time period does not mean that it is the only period that could apply.

3. In stock parlance, that trendline is not broken. See these others and tell me that it is leveling off: Zap
Spark
legend

Drawing a trendline connecting the bottom buy price dips (e.g. Mar 19 = 562g, Jun 13 884 for legend) you get an increase of about 3.75 gold/day. The other three are also around 3.7g/day increase.

If earning 5g/day, fully 75% of your effort goes to just make up for the increase and only 25% of your effort is effective. This functions as a highly regressive tax that severely penalizes those happy to achieve their goal over time. I’m not surprised that the “I earn 50g/day” crowd doesn’t feel it, because they dont.

Call the inflation rate I, and earnings per day A, and price today P0. The point where the person will close the gap is (A-I)*# of days = P0.
If we take P0 = 750 gold, with I = 3.7 g/day and A =5 g/day as above, it will take 578 days for someone starting now to close the gap (at a price of ~2900g). At 10g/day it takes 120 days to catch up (price ~1200g). So the person playing half as much needs to farm over 2x the gold and “work” 2x harder in total.

Again, not an issue of not wanting to put in the work – IMO the core issue of being able to put in work at a reasonable pace and still make progress.

And at 23g/day, which is do-able if you’re actually grinding for gold (heck you can make more than that if you count loot) in much less than 4 hours of play a day, especially if you’re farming and not doing inefficient things like Dungeons without a speedrun group, it will take you 39 days.

I really don’t see the problem. If you want to take your time, you’re going to get hit hard. It’s the same thing with anything that gets hit by interest, like Student Loans. If you focus all of your efforts on finishing it, you can get rid of it extremely fast. If you whine and moan and fight it every step of the way, you’re going to have a lot more steps to whine and moan and fight with.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

-snip-

I really don’t see the problem.

Cutting out excess for brevity, not dismissing it

I think what it really comes down to for me personally is that I dislike that the rate someone else earns gold heavily affects my ability to earn a component for a longterm goal.

While it may be fair, it’s really dissatisfying to know other people can literally block your progress if you end up in a situation where you can’t play much or because you decided to go play with your RL friend who just bought the game or whatever.

EDIT: There’s no buying half a precursor, or a tenth of a precursor or whatever (like you can do with rare mats used toward the gift). There’s no reasonable way of farming one (like you could do for, say, T6 materials or cores if you can’t buy them all). It’s all or nothing, and it’s a race.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

(edited by Rainshine.5493)

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

How does the rate of someone else earning gold affect you?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rainshine.5493

Because I’m competing against other people to purchase something with a very limited supply?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Because I’m competing against other people to purchase something with a very limited supply?

Really? I can farm gold right now and purchase a precursor. The amount that some random player earns has no impact on me.

Here’s a question for you:

How many dusks do you think are sold a day?

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rainshine.5493

Really? I can farm gold right now and purchase a precursor. The amount that some random player earns has no impact on me.

So you’re saying the rising precursor price has nothing to do with people having more to spend on them? Serious question.

I’d have no idea on the Dusk question, nor care to guess.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

Cutting out excess for brevity, not dismissing it

Fair, I forgot to snip, and am too lazy to edit it out.

I think what it really comes down to for me personally is that I dislike that the rate someone else earns gold heavily affects my ability to earn a component for a longterm goal.

While it may be fair, it’s really dissatisfying to know other people can literally block your progress if you end up in a situation where you can’t play much or because you decided to go play with your RL friend who just bought the game or whatever.

The thing is that with a single hour of play, if you’re dedicating yourself to a Precursor, you can earn a significant amount of gold doing Karka Shell farming. It’s extremely mindless to the point that it actually pains me to do the run, but it’s very worth it. That 23g/day with <4 hours would be more like 50g/day <4 hours doing Karka Shell, and that’s if you’re lazy and don’t tag every single Young Karka you see.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

So you’re saying the rising precursor price has nothing to do with people having more to spend on them? Serious question.

I’d have no idea on the Dusk question, nor care to guess.

The large increase was due to the April patch. Prices due increase naturally but not at a rate that people cannot keep up with.

The point with my number of dusks sold question was that I believe you underestimate how many are sold. A previous post a few month ago by Anet showed 58 sold over the course of a day or two.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rainshine.5493

The thing is that with a single hour of play, if you’re dedicating yourself to a Precursor, you can earn a significant amount of gold doing Karka Shell farming. It’s extremely mindless to the point that it actually pains me to do the run, but it’s very worth it. That 23g/day with <4 hours would be more like 50g/day <4 hours doing Karka Shell, and that’s if you’re lazy and don’t tag every single Young Karka you see.

I’ve recently been turned onto the concept of Karka farming and will definitely be looking into it. Logging out at Cypress nodes has netted me a ton selling foxfires lately, but I know that won’t last Appreciate the tips instead of the “stop being lazy” response a lot of people seem to give.

The large increase was due to the April patch. Prices due increase naturally but not at a rate that people cannot keep up with.

The point with my number of dusks sold question was that I believe you underestimate how many are sold. A previous post a few month ago by Anet showed 58 sold over the course of a day or two.

I wasn’t around for the April patch … wardrobes? … and don’t understand how that affected prices.

Anyways, that is more Dusks than I would have thought, but still a really tiny number when you consider how many players there are.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Ayrilana.1396

Look at the price history on gw2spidy or other related sites that track price history. That update caused a large increase in demand for precursors.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

Wardrobe increased prices of aesthetic goods with a spike because people could unlock them permanently once and not have to re-buy them. For some items, they went up and never went back down. For other items, they went up and came back down. For the last few items, they went up, came back down, and went back up from inflation.

For these three things there are three equal markets:

No Incoming Supply → High Demand. Even if the skin sucks, as long as there is limited supply and no way of getting more, the demand will become high (eventually). This is applicable in GW2 because endgame is about being pretty and unique. How many people do you see with the Halloween Shield? Do you see more Flameseeker’s Prophecies? What about the Molten Jetpack?

High Incoming Supply → Low Demand. Items that come in very often will eventually settle low. People will keep getting them, whether or not they aim for them (as long as it’s not a Mystic Forge only recipe or something similar), thereby making the price drop low. Additionally, if it’s a craftable, the price will eventually settle right around the mark where you make a few silver profit because people are content with making little profit as long as they are making profit.

Medium/Low Incoming Supply → High Demand. This isn’t actually a therefore. There’s high demand and there’s only a medium/low incoming supply. Because of this, the price is high and can be maintained at such a high amount. This is notable with Precursors and Legendaries as a lot of people want them just because of the word and not because of the looks. Sure, you might LOOOOOVE how Twilight looks, but I’m quite sure if the Chainsaw Greatsword was the Legendary and Twilight was just a halloween skin, you’d be aiming for the Chainsaw instead. Not because it’s a chainsaw, but because the rarity starts with an L. Of course, that’s not applicable to the entire GW2 populace. There are plenty of people who go for skins simply because they enjoy them.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rainshine.5493

Interesting breakdown. I admit I am not an economist

There are plenty of people who go for skins simply because they enjoy them.

Heh, I still use the pearl staff skin on one of my ele’s staffs because I love the look and especially the colour. There really aren’t any items that are real bragging rights for me in GW2 because you can buy kitten near anything with gold. The PvP finishers (high rank) are about all I can think of, along with a few of the titles that are difficult. Legendaries = tedium, not difficulty really.

/offtopic

I guess I hadn’t considered “sharing” legendary looks across characters driving up demand.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

Well, there are some holes in my post and I’m sure some actual economist will come by and tear me a new one… I’m waiting… I just hope I’m clenched enough.

I personally have the Quip just because I needed a goal. Once I got it, I went on hiatus because I didn’t know what to do anymore (it was supposed to be a long-term goal but I finished it relatively fast) since I had nothing to keep me to the game anymore. If I could do it again, I would have told myself to have gotten the precursor earlier. I wanted to wait until I had clovers, but I didn’t bother with the clover recipe until I had other gifts prepared, so it was just a cycle of me procrastinating… Especially the 400 crafts.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Rainshine.5493

Well, there are some holes in my post and I’m sure some actual economist will come by and tear me a new one… I’m waiting… I just hope I’m clenched enough.

I personally have the Quip just because I needed a goal. Once I got it, I went on hiatus because I didn’t know what to do anymore (it was supposed to be a long-term goal but I finished it relatively fast) since I had nothing to keep me to the game anymore. If I could do it again, I would have told myself to have gotten the precursor earlier. I wanted to wait until I had clovers, but I didn’t bother with the clover recipe until I had other gifts prepared, so it was just a cycle of me procrastinating… Especially the 400 crafts.

Crafts are done, Exploration is done (did it for fun ages ago), Battle can be done at any point but not worrying about anything else unless I manage a precursor.

But I certainly have plenty to keep me playing if that doesn’t happen.

in Black Lion Trading Co

Esplen.3940

Might and Magic actually cost about the same as a Precursor, but you at least have progress shown on your way there.