A plea to nerf Dwayna (Arah p4/Seer path)

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: DanH.5879

DanH.5879

1 word for the healing part: poison !

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

1 word for the healing part: poison !

Seems like you haven’t done it in a while, poison doesn’t work anymore.

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

Healing? If only we got Scourge Healing and Backfire from GW1 she would have been a walk in the park.

So many thing were taken away.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

Remember, story mode is created for people not willing/able to skill-up to the difficulty of explorable dungeons. You should go ahead and stick to story mode or even different paths if something is too hard for you..

You don’t see me over here crying about not being able to get a legendary, and hell I think that’s way harder than killing Simin. Some content is for some players, some content is for others.

My guildmates and I can take any profession mix to any dungeon and have been able to complete every other explorable path and boss.. until this one. We’ve read these threads and guides and watched videos and every time we just don’t seem to have the dps. This isn’t about explorables in general. It’s about this one fight not being in tune with the rest.

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Simin is a boss that isn’t hard per say.

It’s just the incredibly frikkle mechanics of a fight that make it such a pain.

That’s bad design right there.

It’s not the good type of hard where you can analyze your mistakes and see how you can overcome them.

It’s the bad type of hard where you’re fighting with these incredibly stupid mechanics more than the actual boss.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I got my Dungeon Master tittle yesterday.

Needless to say it was not fun at all and I did not enjoy what my group had to go through to complete this dungeon path. 2 Warriors, 2 Guardians, 1 Mesmer

We were having a blast until we reach Dwayna (my third attempt, the rest was also experienced). We decided who was going to do what and we start the fight after switching gear and weapons knowing we needed to do MAX DPS. Knowing we were mostly Melees all using exotic GS with TW on our back we thought we were going to destroy her in one attempt… DPS was not enough. Of course, 2 players were built for support.

I, for the first time in my GW2 history, had to respec my traits for a single fight. After that, even though 2 members of the party had to unneccesary change their builds just to complete this, we barely killed her since we were not using all berzerk gear. We finally killed her at the last second before she went invul again.

I felt like doing something horrible for my work, something that has to be done to finally had the tittle that should’ve been mine a while ago if it wasn’t for this badly designed boss.

Robert, you have to stop listening to players that come here bragging with videos because they are NOT representative of the player base and this fight goes completetly against what I thought GW2 dungeons were gonna be.

If i wanted another DPS rush game i would’ve stick with THAT other game. I came here thinking that player sinergy and skills combos where the way to go… I guess I was wrong about this game where selfish zerk playstyle is getting more and more popular as its most effective than balanced teams.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: adam.8692

adam.8692

Thx for the Simin fight. Thx for not making this game hilariously easy as many other titles.

Mesket.5728

Thx for the Simin fight. Thx for not making this game hilariously easy as many other titles.

This is where you are wrong. The fight is extremely easy. Hard thing is trusting that the spark AI will behave good and enter on those circles in the ridiculously short time you have to do it. Put those together, you have a dps race against a wall.

Sparks do beahve better now, but still dodge the circle many times and for players like me with an average of 300+ ping its even worst. Why not make the circles a bit bigger? I mean,… its really the latest challenge of the game to herd mobs?

Funny how elitist still think this is challenge because others don’t want to endure this pain.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

haviz.1340

This is where you are wrong. The fight is extremely easy. Hard thing is trusting that the spark AI will behave good and enter on those circles in the ridiculously short time you have to do it. Put those together, you have a dps race against a wall.

Sparks do beahve better now, but still dodge the circle many times and for players like me with an average of 300+ ping its even worst. Why not make the circles a bit bigger? I mean,… its really the latest challenge of the game to herd mobs?

Funny how elitist still think this is challenge because others don’t want to endure this pain.

How do sparks dodge those circles? You aggro them and run past those circles most of the time.

This is a challenge, otherwise you wouldn’t see couple of threads about Simin on the 3 last pages of this subforum.

Posted by: Kastayeule.6148

Kastayeule.6148

10-15 minutes here too, theif,guardian,range,theif,mesmer. Both theif running sparks, we had bout 100 tears stacked up. don’t forget to let the NPC die, it is much easier afterward.

Mesket.5728

How do sparks dodge those circles? You aggro them and run past those circles most of the time.

This is a challenge, otherwise you wouldn’t see couple of threads about Simin on the 3 last pages of this subforum.

Several posts are not opened because its hard. It’s because people think its not right.

I’m at the office atm and can’t make you a draw but try to follow me (sry, english is my second language)

I get aggro of the 3 northern sparks (cave entrance) and run toward the statue where 5 circles are located. I pass though circle 1 to let the first spark hit its spot BUT the space between one circle and the other is smaller than the Spark auto attack range so I have to move a few steps farther to compensate that distance (something you surely do as well automatically but its hard to explain). At this point sometimes the sparks move farther, like if I did 3 steps, the spark moved 5 and dodge the circle.

One weird thing that happened twice (very rare) was the spark “reseting” and going back to its original position. It was weird the whole party was “What the…!?”

I’m telling you, the challenge here is herding sparks, which results in DPS race cause you run against time.

If this is GW2 Ultima Challenge, I present you the new Legendary “The Herder” http://www.hankgallups.com/_/rsrc/1257223719208/herding-sticks/Crook%20and%20Dogs.jpg

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Mesket.5728

10-15 minutes here too, theif,guardian,range,theif,mesmer. Both theif running sparks, we had bout 100 tears stacked up. don’t forget to let the NPC die, it is much easier afterward.

This is also true, we had to let the NPC die and die far from the fight cause our tear guy was getting the resurrect “F” option instead of tears all the time.

haviz.1340

Several posts are not opened because its hard. It’s because people think its not right.

I’m at the office atm and can’t make you a draw but try to follow me (sry, english is my second language)

I get aggro of the 3 northern sparks (cave entrance) and run toward the statue where 5 circles are located. I pass though circle 1 to let the first spark hit its spot BUT the space between one circle and the other is smaller than the Spark auto attack range so I have to move a few steps farther to compensate that distance (something you surely do as well automatically but its hard to explain). At this point sometimes the sparks move farther, like if I did 3 steps, the spark moved 5 and dodge the circle.

One weird thing that happened twice (very rare) was the spark “reseting” and going back to its original position. It was weird the whole party was “What the…!?”

I’m telling you, the challenge here is herding sparks, which results in DPS race cause you run against time.

If this is GW2 Ultima Challenge, I present you the new Legendary “The Herder” http://www.hankgallups.com/_/rsrc/1257223719208/herding-sticks/Crook%20and%20Dogs.jpg

Nice picture but it really doesn’t matter what majority thinks when majority simply sucks. We have already tens of posts about relloing, should anet change it back because people think it’s not right?

Gratz on your dungeon master, hope you’re proud as was I when I got it.

Mesket.5728

Nice picture but it really doesn’t matter what majority thinks when majority simply sucks. We have already tens of posts about relloing, should anet change it back because people think it’s not right?

Gratz on your dungeon master, hope you’re proud as was I when I got it.

I agree that majority sucks and that posts asking for reszerg or asking for nerfs to COF 2 are a proof of that. But this fight still has something wrong…

Lets agree that the majority sucks, and people asking for a nerf to Lupicus are wrong because learning how to dodge and being endurance eficient is a basic player skill that is trained during your whole GW2 career. Lupicus being one of the hard/fun bosses where you apply what you learned. In Dwayna you have to do something else, herding mobs… you NEVER herd anything in the game before, and all of a sudden, after hours of running a dungeon, probably wipeing before and already ready to be done with it,.. you have to herd 5! sincronized with a second player and under extreme parameters, not only you have to do it during a boss fight but also you must do it in perfect time.

This is why I repeat over and over that the fight its not fun and push players to run only with certain group composition and wear only certain gear/skill. Because you can’t exceed at something you never did before, and having Dwayna as the last boss in the longest dungeon in game only makes it worst (at this point you don’t wanna stand there for hours trying and trying again). You will need the best DPS available to compensate for any second lost on sparks.

Now, I can take the elitist position since I already got my tittle and say “its fine, l2p” but honestly, I don’t think it is. And I don’t think that going through what I have to go through is playing better the game. It felt quite the opposite of learning to play, it was unlearning GW2 and going back to run in syncro and smash buttons.

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

My 2 friends and I gonna try arah 4 now. So we need 2 extra. Feel free to whsper me if you’re on euro. We are 2 warriors + thief, and would prefer another warrior and mesmer.

Gunnar’s Hold

haviz.1340

I agree that majority sucks and that posts asking for reszerg or asking for nerfs to COF 2 are a proof of that. But this fight still has something wrong…

Lets agree that the majority sucks, and people asking for a nerf to Lupicus are wrong because learning how to dodge and being endurance eficient is a basic player skill that is trained during your whole GW2 career. Lupicus being one of the hard/fun bosses where you apply what you learned. In Dwayna you have to do something else, herding mobs… you NEVER herd anything in the game before, and all of a sudden, after hours of running a dungeon, probably wipeing before and already ready to be done with it,.. you have to herd 5! sincronized with a second player and under extreme parameters, not only you have to do it during a boss fight but also you must do it in perfect time.

It’s the same deal with other arah bosses. Did you have to los any boss (Alphard), keep him burning (Shoggroth), use stability/invuln to avoid unavoidable attack (Lupi), use projectile reflection (Jotun), stun him so he won’t spawn adds (Kogra), there are many examples of bosses with unique mechanics which you haven’t had to utilise before.

This is why I repeat over and over that the fight its not fun and push players to run only with certain group composition and wear only certain gear/skill. Because you can’t exceed at something you never did before, and having Dwayna as the last boss in the longest dungeon in game only makes it worst (at this point you don’t wanna stand there for hours trying and trying again). You will need the best DPS available to compensate for any second lost on sparks.

Repeating this yet another time, you don’t need a certain group composistion. I’ve done it 20+ times with all kinds of group compositions including 2 necros.

Now, I can take the elitist position since I already got my tittle and say “its fine, l2p” but honestly, I don’t think it is. And I don’t think that going through what I have to go through is playing better the game. It felt quite the opposite of learning to play, it was unlearning GW2 and going back to run in syncro and smash buttons.

What I meant by “gratz” was rather sarcastic, that title has same prestige as Combat Healer.

Mesket.5728

It’s the same deal with other arah bosses. Did you have to los any boss (Alphard), keep him burning (Shoggroth), use stability/invuln to avoid unavoidable attack (Lupi), use projectile reflection (Jotun), stun him so he won’t spawn adds (Kogra), there are many examples of bosses with unique mechanics which you haven’t had to utilise before.

LOS? done in several times at other encounters and regular play.
Burn to avoid adds? you can avoid this and still kill the boss.
Stability and Invul on Lupi only works for his dome and to be honest, I barely use those, you can dodge it or just let it hit you and survive if you are not glass. Boss fight won’t be lost if you dont use that and still are basic playing mechanics.
Project Reflection is also something players do regular in other bosses, Grawl fractal last boss to reflect the agony attack is just an example, Orr turrets, etc… though I understand what you mean with that on the Jotun boss. Yes, this one also has a specific mechanic, but how long and stressfull is to gather 10 crystals and face him while you alt tab and watch youtube videos?
Stuns I’ve doing this since AC, when I was low lvl close to game release I used to run this dungeon with my friends and even there, we used to stun the mobs that summons more and more critters, actually I didn’t even used any stun on Kogra and just fought all his Gorilas aournd the southern pilars using LOS to gather them and AOE. Not hard at all.

Can you ignore or work around Simin’s mechanic and still kill her? I don’t think so.

What I meant by “gratz” was rather sarcastic, that title has same prestige as Combat Healer.

Yet something you want to preserve for a minority by not being honest with this fight.

(edited by Mesket.5728)

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

What we need the most is:
→fix sparks
→fix phase 2 entering
→fix random 10s stealths

We don’t mind running sparks. It’s just annoying that they skip the traps.
4/5 glitch is the only reliable way to enter phase 2 since sometimes it doesn’t matter how much time you take to down simin to 50% and she’ll always stealth.
Random stealth bug make it that high dps teams are preferred, and sometimes required, than any other setup.

Fix those and people probably will still complain but at least it will be doable.

There’s no prestige in getting DM when it only requires gear and little brains.

First time i did lupicus was with a full noob team so when reaching lupicus we wiped on each phase change because we didn’t know what we were facing. After that it was just a couple deaths due to inexperience and now even in pugs we usually don’t wipe and only get a few death/down when the boss locks on you or someone get caught by that stealthed ranged attack.
Lupicus is a model boss, where difficulty comes from the variety of attacks that requires the party to keep focused. Simin on the otherhand is just a ridiculous boss that has no power to wipe any team and crappy mechanics that are just frustrating.

haviz.1340

LOS? done in several times at other encounters and regular play.

Where exactly do you need to los the boss in order not to wipe (exluding glitching her)?

Burn to avoid adds? you can avoid this and still kill the boss.

You burn him to avoid his 1 minute long stun

Stability and Invul on Lupi only works for his dome and to be honest, I barely use those, you can dodge it or just let it hit you and survive if you are not glass. Boss fight won’t be lost if you dont use that and still are basic playing mechanics.

You can’t dodge it with normal dodge and if you’re glass it will kill you.

Project Reflection is also something players do regular in other bosses, Grawl fractal last boss to reflect the agony attack is just an example, Orr turrets, etc… though I understand what you mean with that on the Jotun boss. Yes, this one also has a specific mechanic, but how long and stressfull is to gather 10 crystals and face him while you alt tab and watch youtube videos?

Grawl boss doesn’t require reflection, same as those turrets.

Stuns I’ve doing this since AC, when I was low lvl close to game release I used to run this dungeon with my friends and even there, we used to stun the mobs that summons more and more critters, actually I didn’t even used any stun on Kogra and just fought all his Gorilas aournd the southern pilars using LOS to gather them and AOE. Not hard at all.

On my first arah trip I killed all the adds by kiting around, doesn’t mean it’s indended.

Yet something you want to preserve for a minority by not being honest with this fight.

Em, you seem to completely miss the point. I carried a lot of bads there, I honestly don’t care who got it and how (you can also buy it). What I don’t want is yet another faceroll boss added to collection because average gamer can’t start to think once in a while.

Posted by: Hyperion.6027

Hyperion.6027

What I don’t want is yet another faceroll boss added to collection because average gamer can’t start to think once in a while.

Think what? Oh, you mean get more DPS and learn to herd the sparks properly. But you see, the sparks thing is just a mechanical thing and the DPS is based on gear and profession. The latter only translates to more time spent (wasted?) on grind to get gear some people wouldn’t normally use outside that one encounter.

The more I watch this thread the more convinced I am that Simin doesn’t work right all the time. First time we fought her (only did p4 with guild pple) we had very support-oriented builds. All our efforts to gear up for maximum DPS yielded the exact same results, both in terms of seconds to bring her to a certain % and in terms of her life total. It was EXACTLY the same, no matter if the first time we had 2 support-spec’d people and the second we were many times more DPS-y.

I would be convinced by a dev stating that ‘Simin fight works as intended, maybe some issues with the sparks’. But as it is, I am not spending any more effort (gear, grind, time) on that fight.

(edited by Hyperion.6027)

haviz.1340

Think what? Oh, you mean get more DPS and learn to herd the sparks properly. But you see, the sparks thing is just a mechanical thing and the DPS is based on gear and profession. The latter only translates to more time spent (wasted?) on grind to get gear some people wouldn’t normally use outside that one encounter.

The more I watch this thread the more convinced I am that Simin doesn’t work right all the time. First time we fought her (only did p4 with guild pple) we had very support-oriented builds. All our efforts to gear up for maximum DPS yielded the exact same results, both in terms of seconds to bring her to a certain % and in terms of her life total. It was EXACTLY the same, no matter if the first time we had 2 support-spec’d people and the second we were many times for DPS-y.

Think on getting right weapons/utility. Like I’ve said before, I had done it with various compositions including necros with blue gear, rangers and engineers. If you can’t beat her maybe it’s time to rethink your current tactics.

Mesket.5728

What I don’t want is yet another faceroll boss added to collection because average gamer can’t start to think once in a while.

The more I watch this thread the more convinced I am that Simin doesn’t work right all the time. First time we fought her (only did p4 with guild pple) we had very support-oriented builds. All our efforts to gear up for maximum DPS yielded the exact same results, both in terms of seconds to bring her to a certain % and in terms of her life total. It was EXACTLY the same, no matter if the first time we had 2 support-spec’d people and the second we were many times more DPS-y.

I would be convinced by a dev stating that ‘Simin fight works as intended, maybe some issues with the sparks’. But as it is, I am not spending any more effort (gear, grind, time) on that fight.

Don’t even try it… he still thinks that Simin requires skill,… look at his last reply to me. He didn’t catch what I meant with a unique mechanic a compared it with things/CC’s you regularly do ingame.

I understand what you say, my friend and I both play with our GFs so we go Warrior/Guardian more tanky support (pow/tough/vit with group buffs and defensive skils) and they go ele/ranger for range safer dps lol. It’s a pretty solid group and we could beat any boss/dungeon except Simin, go figure… can you imagine trying to make a group like this work there? Even if we PUG Balthazar priest from the meta event as our 5th we would still not be able to do it…

Point is, this boss breaks all GW2 group potential as it doesn’t need anything the game has to offer and only takes max dps and mob herding… Yeah, real skill here guys!

Posted by: Ioflux.4369

Ioflux.4369

People need to get out of the mentality that they think they are “the best players” and simply cannot be that they need to improve if they cant clear an encounter. My party make up consisted of 3 DPS classes (full zerk), full cleric ele spamming water auto attack heals, and a guardian support. By no means is this an optimal dps party but can still clear it. Ele provided us with heals to stand in the red circles w/o having to waste dps time to dodge them.

If you feel that you are as good as you believe you are, you will clear this encounter as others have not only cleared it, but carried dead weight through it. There’s always ways to improve, its a matter of wanting to and accepting it.

haviz.1340

Don’t even try it… he still thinks that Simin requires skill,… look at his last reply to me. He didn’t catch what I meant with a unique mechanic a compared it with things/CC’s you regularly do ingame.

I understand what you say, my friend and I both play with our GFs so we go Warrior/Guardian more tanky support (pow/tough/vit with group buffs and defensive skils) and they go ele/ranger for range safer dps lol. It’s a pretty solid group and we could beat any boss/dungeon except Simin, go figure… can you imagine trying to make a group like this work there? Even if we PUG Balthazar priest from the meta event as our 5th we would still not be able to do it…

Point is, this boss breaks all GW2 group potential as it doesn’t need anything the game has to offer and only takes max dps and mob herding… Yeah, real skill here guys!

Yes, running sparks apparently requires skills.

Ioflux.4369

Skill isnt limited to fight mechanics, but to your understanding of the classes synergy, traits, weapon skills, and what is optimal for your party. I do not believe this encounter requires as much skill as Lupicus, but it definitely will put a halt on the “I can clear every encounter regardless of how I play if i hit it long enough” mentality.

For the record, I also had another makeup consisting of a ranger dps, same ele, 2 warriors and 1 thief. Working on maximizing dps regardless of class goes a long way.

Mesket.5728

People need to get out of the mentality that they think they are “the best players” and simply cannot be that they need to improve if they cant clear an encounter. My party make up consisted of 3 DPS classes (full zerk), full cleric ele spamming water auto attack heals, and a guardian support. By no means is this an optimal dps party but can still clear it. Ele provided us with heals to stand in the red circles w/o having to waste dps time to dodge them.

If you feel that you are as good as you believe you are, you will clear this encounter as others have not only cleared it, but carried dead weight through it. There’s always ways to improve, its a matter of wanting to and accepting it.

make it with 2 support, 2 control and 1 dps zerk (range) player and I’ll buy what you are saying. Otherwise you are part of the big numbers = skill which is plain wrong.

Game advertised that holy trinity was over and players will have new roles to play… funny how it all turns in pure dps for this fight.

IMO, a simple fix would be to remove phase 1, and maybe extend the stealth from 1 minute to 1.1 or 1.2 minute. That way, even if you have lower dps and takes you longer you can still do the fight.

Ioflux.4369

make it with 2 support, 2 control and 1 dps zerk (range) player and I’ll buy what you are saying. Otherwise you are part of the big numbers = skill which is plain wrong.

Game advertised that holy trinity was over and players will have new roles to play… funny how it all turns in pure dps for this fight.

IMO, a simple fix would be to remove phase 1, and maybe extend the stealth from 1 minute to 1.1 or 1.2 minute. That way, even if you have lower dps and takes you longer you can still do the fight.

This “i refuse to adjust my build/weapon/traits to dps to clear this encounter” mentality. The few changes one can do to make your lives all that much easier.

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

Remember, story mode is created for people not willing/able to skill-up to the difficulty of explorable dungeons. You should go ahead and stick to story mode or even different paths if something is too hard for you..

You don’t see me over here crying about not being able to get a legendary, and hell I think that’s way harder than killing Simin. Some content is for some players, some content is for others.

My guildmates and I can take any profession mix to any dungeon and have been able to complete every other explorable path and boss.. until this one. We’ve read these threads and guides and watched videos and every time we just don’t seem to have the dps. This isn’t about explorables in general. It’s about this one fight not being in tune with the rest.

So what if it’s not in tune? Some content should be harder than others, read: Legendaries.

Example: Me and my guildmates haven’t had trouble acquiring materials for any piece of gear that we wanted to be crafted, except for these stupid legendaries! The grind, RNG, and farm is so out of tune compared to all the other craftable items it’s ridiculous. And the stats aren’t even better! Nerf!!!

Yeah, Simin is harder than other bosses. The fact is, you don’t have to do Arah path 4. No one is forcing you, just as no one is forcing me to get a legendary, so get over it. As I said before, some content is for some players, some is for others..

And just keep in mind people are completing Simin on a daily basis. Trust me, it’s far from impossible..

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Mesket.5728

well it doesnt.

The only difference between a succeed and a failed attempt at Simin in my experience was that 2 guys needed to respec to full dps builds and change our gear, utilities to maximize dps. Sparks are out of the problem even with all their bugs. Come on, you can only run that fast, almost double the spark speed so moving them is not rocket science.

Even if the sparks move by themself as fast as they go right into the circles, you still have a DPS barrier to break and THAT is what makes people complain. Its an impediment for certain groups/classes. Nothing else in this game cuts you out if you dont have enough numbers and numbers =/= skill

George Steel.1804

I really don’t think the fight needs any tweaks. We completed it before patch with:

2 Thiefs (unsure of spec, guessing beserker)
1 Ele (pow/prec/tough)
1 Guard (1400 healing power. me)
1 Mesmer (control/dps)

Nowhere near the “ideal group”. Only me and the ele knew each other, others we picked from gw2lfg. Best part is, I never attacked Simin, I constantly threw tears so none of our dps would be hindered (and to not attract aggro to avoid getting petrified). She healed 5 times before she died; we kited sparks in quickly and effectively and dpsed her down more and more each time.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

George Steel.1804

well it doesnt.

The only difference between a succeed and a failed attempt at Simin in my experience was that 2 guys needed to respec to full dps builds and change our gear, utilities to maximize dps. Sparks are out of the problem even with all their bugs. Come on, you can only run that fast, almost double the spark speed so moving them is not rocket science.

Even if the sparks move by themself as fast as they go right into the circles, you still have a DPS barrier to break and THAT is what makes people complain. Its an impediment for certain groups/classes. Nothing else in this game cuts you out if you dont have enough numbers and numbers =/= skill

This is the biggest problem with people who are failing at Simin. Kiting sparks in fast does take skill. You wouldn’t believe how much better the encounter went once we found a player who could kite south2 while I used swiftness+gap closers to aggro/kite north3. We plugged them in fast and that’s the only reason my group was able to complete the encounter.

Practice kiting faster, and more accurately. I guarantee you will see results..

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Hyperion.6027

Skill isnt limited to fight mechanics, but to your understanding of the classes synergy, traits, weapon skills, and what is optimal for your party.

I completely agree. I never meant to imply otherwise.

Unfortunately, I am one step away from being completely convinced the encounter is broken. More precisely, inconsistent as to its mechanics. And that is because I am confident there is nothing you could tell me or my regular party about our profession combinations, individual traits, weapon skills and gear that we don’t already know. I wouldn’t be posting here if I wasn’t.

It doesn’t make any sense to have the same results with a set-up that’s 40% focused on DPS as with a set-up that’s 70% focused on DPS. And 100% DPS spec is just silly to require your players to spec for, if the fight is the equivalent of a punching bag boxing training.

I’ll refrain from debating this any longer, as we have not tried to complete it with full berzerker’s gear for everyone in the party, rarity exotic, ascended and legendary. But if the time comes and we do, you can be sure I’ll have my stopwatch on again, and get back here to bring you the latest news.

What I would like to suggest is, since we are posting at roughly the same times, please take me with you on your next ‘non DPS-centered’ run of path 4. I will do my best not to be a burden, and I promise you I am not stuck to preconceptions.

Posted by: Flameseeker.1563

Flameseeker.1563

Sure no classes have advantage in terms of simin fight…
The moment i announce i’m a necro suddenly i’m not even worth of getting a reply from 90% of the groups trying p4.

I’ve completed every other dungeon path and been to simin twice and still most groups don’t even want me solely because i’m a necro. They don’t bother to ask if i know what we’ll be doing, as soon as the word “necro” comes around i’m done for.

And again, DPS check isn’t a good measure of difficulty as well as 1 hit kills and permanent stuns from P2 are a lousy excuses to force groups to waste time to clear a path.
Team coordination to get a task done is one thing but gear checks and mindless skill spam to ensure damage output is simply brainless.

haviz.1340

Sure no classes have advantage in terms of simin fight…
The moment i announce i’m a necro suddenly i’m not even worth of getting a reply from 90% of the groups trying p4.

I’ve completed every other dungeon path and been to simin twice and still most groups don’t even want me solely because i’m a necro. They don’t bother to ask if i know what we’ll be doing, as soon as the word “necro” comes around i’m done for.

And again, DPS check isn’t a good measure of difficulty as well as 1 hit kills and permanent stuns from P2 are a lousy excuses to force groups to waste time to clear a path.
Team coordination to get a task done is one thing but gear checks and mindless skill spam to ensure damage output is simply brainless.

The groups that are not willing to take you are probably going to brute force that encounter for few hours.

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

Ok just finished it, took us around 2 hours with preparations and everything. I had person who was first time in so I had to explain strategy.
2 thiefs 2 warriors + mesmer.
We used 4/1 strategy and basicly goes like this:
- take simin to 50%
- put 4 sparks in
- let simin regen to 100%
- drop her to 50% again
- now place last spark in only one (mesmer need to be close to spark before she stealth)
- time warp
- frenzy
- gg from 50% to 0%

You should bring highest dps pots, potion of undead slaying, put sigil of undead slaying in gs, its all about preparation. U don’t need skill as much as you need preparation. Also be carefull to not bug last boss.

Gunnar’s Hold

Mesket.5728

- time warp
- frenzy
- gg from 50% to 0%

You should bring highest dps pots, potion of undead slaying, put sigil of undead slaying in gs, its all about preparation. U don’t need skill as much as you need preparation. Also be carefull to not bug last boss.

Precisely what we’ve been saying is needed and it shouldnt be. Skill =/= Number

This fight aint about a good group but about good invidual dps (oh yeah, and 10 minutes spark kiting training, remember W goes forward, S backwards, pro tip).

Posted by: Nozdrum.2894

Nozdrum.2894

Trying it with our group at the moment but it seems kinda impossible.
Our group does not lack the damage or the skill the sparks together. Our problem is that the time in that we can do damage is 30sec at first and the next phase about 5-10 seconds. We try the 4/5 strategy. We get her down to 50% then we pull in one spark and then we have about 30 sec in that time we get her down to 10%. We pull in the sparks ( we need about 10-15 sec for that ) then she is at 35%, but in this phase we have 10 seconds ( one time even only 5 seconds lol ) to damage her, then she vanish again.
If we try it the intended way she will always go invis at 50% whatever we do. We get her down to 50% she vanish we pull in the spark, she is at 65-80% we attack her full dps and she vanish at 50% even if we take some time and don’t full dps.

edit: Nvm just did it. But with the 4/5 strategy I think this boss is a bit buggy. :S

(edited by Nozdrum.2894)

Posted by: Vespid.2314

Vespid.2314

My party has just disbanded after hours of fighting the Dwayna. This encounter is broken: Dwayna randomly stealths what gives no chance to take her down in phase 2, sparks lose aggro randomly (happened few times), hitboxes of circles are way too small. The only chance to kill her, is to bring full exotic/ascended glass cannons and even with this, it is not certain to take her down. You still need lot of luck to not get trapped, in one of broken mechanics. And as reminder, any other path in any other dungeon can be completed without bringing glass cannons to nuke bosses, only this one require it. You said, your goal in Guild Wars 2 dungeons, is to make them more fun to play, this encounter is not even close to be “fun”. So, my ask is: nerf Dwayna hard or redesign whole fight. I enjoy hard bosses like Giganticus Lupicus, but I can’t stand encounter which don’t reward you a kill, even if you did evrything correctly.

George Steel.1804

My party has just disbanded after hours of fighting the Dwayna. This encounter is broken: Dwayna randomly stealths what gives no chance to take her down in phase 2, sparks lose aggro randomly (happened few times), hitboxes of circles are way too small. The only chance to kill her, is to bring full exotic/ascended glass cannons and even with this, it is not certain to take her down. You still need lot of luck to not get trapped, in one of broken mechanics. And as reminder, any other path in any other dungeon can be completed without bringing glass cannons to nuke bosses, only this one require it. You said, your goal in Guild Wars 2 dungeons, is to make them more fun to play, this encounter is not even close to be “fun”. So, my ask is: nerf Dwayna hard or redesign whole fight. I enjoy hard bosses like Giganticus Lupicus, but I can’t stand encounter which don’t reward you a kill, even if you did evrything correctly.

Please don’t take this rage too seriously ANet.

“Hard bosses like Giganticus”
Ohh you mean the boss who’s been killed solo by a warrior, guardian, and elementalist? (among others..)

No ty sir, all the content in the game was not designed to be done by everyone. You have to accept the fact you might not be good enough to do some encounters. If Simin is nerfed, I would like to see the materials required for legendaries nerfed too. It’s stupid how much luck and farm it takes to get these weapons. See what I mean?

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Bullfrog.1324

Bullfrog.1324

I just really hate that a boss this challenging is located 2 hours into a dungeon. I would have no problem with Simin if he was the first boss on the path. Then I wouldn’t have to waste two hours if my group is unable to finish him. I say keep the challenge in place, but find some way to move the battle earlier in the run.

I’d rather regret something I’d done than regret doing nothing.
[Profession Synonym] Lexxi [ANGL] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: AlfaR.9257

AlfaR.9257

We’ve tried this path today, and Simin fight was… odd. Sparks behavior is much better now, indeed, but Simin’ second phase looked all bugged. She didn’t go invisible at about 30 second intervals as before, but rather at random times, usually after 15-18 seconds (we measured), but sometimes way less, like 5-7 seconds. She literally appeared and went away before we could do anything. When doing so she was at about 30% hp, so it wasn’t usual case when she is a bit above 50%, and then wents invis at 50%. Needless to say, it was really frustrating, as the rest of the run was almost flawless, we spent a bit more then an hour to get to her, and 4 hours tryingto bring her down.

I’d really like to see Robert’s commentary on how this fight is intended to work, as right now it seems all wrong.

Posted by: Ele Lady.6103

Ele Lady.6103

Tried to do this path 4 for 10+ hours today, of which around 8 hours purely focusing on simin. Party changed alot and we got more and more dps every time and better strategies but still no go.

And, if GW2 including it’s dungeons are the game for everyone and every class, this path doesn’t seem to be the case. And this is kind of discriminating towards those who only have 1 main character, which is not DPS warrior or any super DPS at all.

And to be honest, the mechanics of this battle are kittened up mostly and the one who designed this must have had so much sadistic fun when imagining the player’s reaction to this. Would like to see Anet post a video where they do this boss with NOT full DPS party with mixed classes.

haviz.1340

Joined with Wethospu some party that was stucked at simin for some time. It was condition damage mes, some ranger and a tanky support guardian. We both run sparks, considering we’re rather experienced there. It took us 3 or 4 spark runs to kill and I even botched last run of 2 sparks so we had troubles with putting last one on right spot. Oh, and we didn’t use 4-1.

Ele Lady.6103

Joined with Wethospu some party that was stucked at simin for some time. It was condition damage mes, some ranger and a tanky support guardian. We both run sparks, considering we’re rather experienced there. It took us 3 or 4 spark runs to kill and I even botched last run of 2 sparks so we had troubles with putting last one on right spot. Oh, and we didn’t use 4-1.

Are you kidding, or mostly DPS team cannot do it with 4-1 tactic, and a team with less DPS and not using the 4-1 can do?

haviz.1340

Are you kidding, or mostly DPS team cannot do it with 4-1 tactic, and a team with less DPS and not using the 4-1 can do?

I’ve tried to kill her with just Weth once. We lack a bit dps for that, we couldn’t get her below 10% but that was mostly because she was petrifying us. That was just the two people. Once we invited another guy we 3manned her. So yea, most of those dps team that people want to have are either very bad at dealing damage or they’re plainly lying about their spec.

Secondly, thing I repeat yet another time, the most important aspect of that fight is how perfect your spark runs are, you don’t need 5 people in full zerkers, you need 2 people that are able to run sparks as fast as possible.

Ele Lady.6103

I was running the sparks whole 8 hours, the other guy changed. I was warrior with gs, so I had no problem using signet of rage and running the north sparks to statue in 10 seconds. But the placing can take time. And with 4-1 tactic, only the single spark pull really matters.
We did try to pull all sparks after 4-1, but the boss regened very quickly though average time to do that for our party was 12-15 seconds. Can’t really figure out how you can run them faster, you can’t give the sparks a speed boost, can you?

Hyperion.6027

I’ve tried to kill her with just Weth once. We lack a bit dps for that, we couldn’t get her below 10% but that was mostly because she was petrifying us. That was just the two people. Once we invited another guy we 3manned her. So yea, most of those dps team that people want to have are either very bad at dealing damage or they’re plainly lying about their spec.

Secondly, thing I repeat yet another time, the most important aspect of that fight is how perfect your spark runs are, you don’t need 5 people in full zerkers, you need 2 people that are able to run sparks as fast as possible.

You 3 manned her. If that’s true, then the encounter has to be problematic. Even 5 half-decent players should be able to dish out more damage than 3 people, more so when said 5 are geared specifically for damage.

Also, @George Steel: Some parts of the game are intended to require farm to get. That’s the reason exotic, ascended and legendary gear exists. So that you can spend your time farming them.

Seriously, if you created a game with grind in it, would you go out of your way to alter ONE boss fight to require farm, clearly going against the logic of all the similar (in context) encounters? O.o

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

The one thing that drove me nuts about this encounter (which I still haven’t beaten) is that the whole dungeon requires you to pick a pretty defensive setup (for obvious reasons). Then all of a sudden you get to Simin and you need basically maximum dps output to get past it. Since you cannot change your traits on the fly, and most people don’t have several gear sets on them, this makes the encounter extremely challenging for most groups, especially pug groups.
As mentionted above, one slight miss-step in pathing the sparks and it basically resets the fight. I can’t count the number of times we got her down to less than <25% hp, only to have her heal completely because we couldn’t get the last spark to get in the kitten circle.

How this dungeon requires defensive setup? It’s more than doable with glass cannons.

Use mobility skills to get sparks faster, don’t just run. I’ve seen groups picking as runners the worst possible choices.

So, a glass cannon ele with 916 vit and 916 toughness? You get one-shot by trash mobs.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Posted by: Nozdrum.2894

Nozdrum.2894

So, a glass cannon ele with 916 vit and 916 toughness? You get one-shot by trash mobs.

Then don’t get hit.

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

Then don’t get hit.

or change to zerker only for simin

kill all ze thingz