Death and Taxes Competitive PvE Tournament!

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

The event will be livestreamed here on Saturday, June 28th at 11am EST – http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Update: Due to a copious amount of registrations we have raised the number of participating teams in the tournament to 16. Bracket selection has been completed. Best of luck to all the teams! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11OEZo2ixbdBUzr1UmmabFd3NcAgXVkxgr4aST2ubT3c/edit#gid=1866558721

Tournament: http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/13284824-announcing-death-taxes-invitational-competitive-pve-tournament

Registration: http://www.dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/13284840-official-dnt-invitational-tournament-registration-thread

Death and Taxes [DnT] is proud to announce The Death and Taxes Invitational, the first competitive PvE tournament. Eight teams of five will compete for the fastest, smoothest dungeon runs in a competitive environment on Saturday, June 28, 2014 at 11am EST.

Prize pool is closed no more donations please.
Current Prize Pool:
3000g
2k gems to each player on the 1st place team
800 gems to each player on the 2nd place team
6 Gem store armor sets
60 Transmutation charges
Donaters:
16800 gems – Arenanet
Shin – 1000
Nike – 500
Luther – 300
Scrabbler – 250
Rezard – 200
Maarten – 200
Dom – 300
Dekeyz – 100
Lucy Storm Crow – 50
Don Quack – 50
Ten Mins – 30
Mad – 20
Lilith – 5x gem store armors
Iris – 50x Transmute charges

All rewards per player
First Place: 150g + 2000 gems
Second Place: 100g + 800 gems
Third Place: 75g + gem store armor of choice
Fourth Place: 50g + 10 transmutation charges
Fifth through Eight: 30g

The Format
The teams will be paired up before each round for a best of three path contest, and one randomly selected team will have the right to pick which path is run first. Their opponents will pick which path is run second. If a third path is required, Death and Taxes [DnT] will pick a dungeon path. The two teams will begin their dungeon runs simultaneously at an appointed server time, which the runs broadcast live on Twitch.tv. At least one member of each team must be able to live stream the run in order to participate.

The dungeon runs themselves will be regulated and timed according to the http://gwscr.com restricted rule set.

In addition to the Guild Wars Speed Clear Rules, a defeated player may not resurrect at a waypoint, and may not be resurrected by his teammates. Should a player be defeated, the remaining 4 must complete the dungeon. Should the last member of the team be defeated, or point in the dungeon be reached that cannot be completed with the remaining members of a team (i.e. only two members alive for Shaggoth in Arah Path 1 or the Brazier puzzle in Citadel of Flame Path 1) that will be considered a “Wipe.”
As long as the team that is still alive is able to finish the path without wiping, the finishing team will be given the win regardless of time. Should both teams wipe, the game will be considered a draw and will move onto the next path. If both teams wipe in the third path of the match, the team furthest into the dungeon will be considered the winner.

The Teams
Teams will register with 5 members and one optional alternate. The registration will list the account name of each player and the profession that player will be playing. Players must run the same profession they register with throughout the entire course of the tournament. The alternate player can fill in for any player on the team and may play any desired profession.
This will promote a risk reward proposition between an “all around” team composition that can tackle all paths of every dungeon and one designed to sacrifice utility for additional offense. The alternate will allow creative teams to tweak their team compositions to their advantage.

Registration
The tournament will be by invitation only, however we are soliciting for interested guilds or teams. Guilds may fill multiple teams if they have sufficient members. Any interested guilds or teams may register in the registration thread on the Death and Taxes forum. http://dtguilds.com/forum/m/6563292/viewthread/13284840-official-dnt-invitational-tournament-registration-thread
The 8 invited teams will be announced on June 21, 2014.
Members of Death and Taxes will be excluded from participation in this tournament.

Questions or Help
Should you have any questions regarding any aspect of the tournament, please post them in the official tournament thread on the Death and Taxes forum.
If you would like to donate prize support (gems, gold, precursors, legendaries) please contact the host of this event, his IGN is ‘Nike’. (Nike Porphyrogenita.8137)
Registration cut off is Friday, June 20, 2014 at 12:00PM PDT.

(edited by Dommmmmmmmmm.6984)

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Hope to see the sign ups start happening! Really interested to see if there’s any variance in team composition and or builds.

Good luck everyone! Fashion awaits you who dare to win.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Nyspar.6103

Nyspar.6103

Would love for the community to enter, even just for fun rather than competition! The death rule is a nice twist, even the best teams can lose because of it.

[DnT] TargNyspar
Targaryen / Nymaria / Dwagonfire / Dwagonhunter

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Updated prize support!

big thanks to to Shin for a big donation!

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

+1 Ill see if I can un noobify my guild for this

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

GL & HF!

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

What happens if a dungeon path gets bugged/stuck?

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

The dungeon will be reentered, I guess. Unless you bugged it purposefully.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

I assume the team for which it bugs may restart.

Nova [rT]

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

random,

Crucible of Eternity Laser Trap.

dead still dead? or is that an exception to the rule?

(( I don’t mind either way just something to think about ))

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

random,

My understanding was that dead is still dead. Events like this become really critical to the success of the team and can make or break a run really fast. I’m liable to think most teams should avoid CoE anyway because of how frequently (and randomly) the golem bugs now, though.

ALSO: I AM SO HAPPY THAT ANET IS SPONSORING SOME PART OF THIS!

I knew they would, and this is great. This is exactly the precedent we want, and this is exactly the sponsorship that gets people involved! So excited.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

random,

Dead is dead.

Better practice dem jumping puzzles

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I do have 2 questions. Do organizers intend to organize more of those events and if so do they intend to participate in next editions?

Tree.3916

I do have 2 questions. Do organizers intend to organize more of those events and if so do they intend to participate in next editions?

If it’s fun and successful for sure we’ll do more. Whether we participate will be up in the air depending whether we can establish a system where there would be clear enough rules that no bias could come into play. This one is really a learning lesson proof of concept so we’ll evaluate it afterwards.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

Post this into the GW2 Discussion, so more can see it maybe?

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

random,

Dead is dead.

Better practice dem jumping puzzles

I thought so,

no worries either way I just figured it would be good to have an official reply.

Tree.3916

Rule addendum: your streamer (or one of your streamers if you have multiple you must declare which first) will be allowed to be hardressed. If he is defeated he cannot waypoint, but the party can stop to hardres that person.

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

What’s the verdict on legit disconnects? Out for the remainder of the run or are you allowed to reenter?

Zelendel

Tree.3916

You can reconnect if you were not downed or defeated when you DC’ed.

haviz.1340

Usually DC ends with death and it might be problematic to decide if a death was the cause or the result.

Dub.1273

Unless it’s me who dc’d. -.-

Dub | [rT]

haviz.1340

Yea, every rule has an exception.

Tree.3916

Usually DC ends with death and it might be problematic to decide if a death was the cause or the result.

Right, the line has to be drawn somewhere though and if one of your players has a spotty connection that day perhaps it would be better to use the alternate in his place, or accept the risk.

As far as dungeons bugging out here are the ideas currently thinking about…

1. Allow the team to restart the dungeon, but only if they were in the lead at the time the path bugged. If they were losing at the time no restart. This has pros and cons obviously, but I don’t want anyone to ever have an incentive to bug a dungeon intentionally and frankly part of the spectacle of the event is two teams running side by side on live stream and having a restart is something I would like to avoid at any cost.

2. Ban ACp2 and all of CoE. This accounts for 95% of dungeon bug outs. The other major ones (Arah p3 ritual and p2 belka) are either only done if intentionally since they can be actively avoided but not doing certain things, thus if you bug out those arah paths I have to assume you did it intentionally and you lose. I would hate to ban an entire dungeon (CoE) but the golem bugs out far far too often and if we can avoid 90% of potential restarts by avoiding CoE its seems feasible? Entirely possible Anet fixes the golem in a patch before then. ACp2, I dunno. Detha rarely bugs for us, but if its a huge problem I would say we should just avoid this path? I would like thoughts on that.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Running Detha on the Left side works quiet well to avoid bugging her.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Right, the line has to be drawn somewhere though and if one of your players has a spotty connection that day perhaps it would be better to use the alternate in his place, or accept the risk.

As far as dungeons bugging out here are the ideas currently thinking about…

1. Allow the team to restart the dungeon, but only if they were in the lead at the time the path bugged. If they were losing at the time no restart. This has pros and cons obviously, but I don’t want anyone to ever have an incentive to bug a dungeon intentionally and frankly part of the spectacle of the event is two teams running side by side on live stream and having a restart is something I would like to avoid at any cost.

2. Ban ACp2 and all of CoE. This accounts for 95% of dungeon bug outs. The other major ones (Arah p3 ritual and p2 belka) are either only done if intentionally since they can be actively avoided but not doing certain things, thus if you bug out those arah paths I have to assume you did it intentionally and you lose. I would hate to ban an entire dungeon (CoE) but the golem bugs out far far too often and if we can avoid 90% of potential restarts by avoiding CoE its seems feasible? Entirely possible Anet fixes the golem in a patch before then. ACp2, I dunno. Detha rarely bugs for us, but if its a huge problem I would say we should just avoid this path? I would like thoughts on that.

I was thinking of suggesting to ban all of CoE. I have tried waiting, rushing, and all sorts of insane precautions and I have still experienced that bug and have no proper idea what causes it. CoE is such a good dungeon for this tournament, but given its current state I think it’s a liability. I also don’t think this is a bad thing necessarily, as, for example, the ToL picks only specific maps for matches and some never get played on (and they announce these maps ahead of time).

I think the bug in p2 AC can be avoided fairly easily if you stay along one side and simply make sure nothing is in the Hall of Champions with you when you start the dialogue. I usually chock that bug up to team error, so in that case I think that path is fine to allow, teams just need to plan around it.

EDIT: I also want to ask. Since the alternate is a meaningful part of a team’s strategy, even if he doesn’t get to play much does he receive the same rewards as the others for placement?

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

(edited by Rising Dusk.2408)

Tree.3916

Prize pool is closed no more donations please.

Current Prize Pool:

3000g
2k gems to each player on the 1st place team
800 gems to each player on the 2nd place team
6 Gem store armor sets
60 Transmutation charges

Donaters:

16800 gems – Arenanet
Shin – 1000
Nike – 500
Luther – 300
Scrabbler – 250
Rezard – 200
Maarten – 200
Dom – 300
Dekeyz – 100
Lucy Storm Crow – 50
Don Quack – 50
Ten Mins – 30
Mad – 20
Lilith – 5x gem store armors
Iris – 50x Transmute charges

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Please let me cover all 60 transmutation charges. I forgot to correct the amount failing to realize there are 6 members per team.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Lol so many donations they have to ask folks to stop… wows. hehe

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: Scribble.8069

Scribble.8069

Good luck to all the teams that enter! Hoping to see some interesting dungeon paths chosen (and fun panicky moments).

Scribble Scrabbler
Kiss Kiss Bang [BANG]

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Is there a link for the livestream anywhere?

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: EcoRI.9273

EcoRI.9273

Two questions about the restricted ruleset.

1: Is consecrated grounds double wall/sanc/hollow grounds allowed?
2: CM p2 last boss, is getting him on a terrain where he can’t move with his plague form allowed? He is still functional and can use all his skills.

http://www.twitch.tv/eco_r_i
Wynd Cloud | Fierce N Licious

Posted by: Spoj The Second.7680

Spoj The Second.7680

I thought 1. was fixed. If not then it would be disallowed. For 2. Id say its legit and it doesnt work reliably anymore anyway.

Posted by: Jeremlloyd.6837

Jeremlloyd.6837

About the question 1, I asked Cookie a while back about it and he said it wasn’t allowed.

About the 2nd question, no you can’t do it:

9.) If it is evident that your party has deliberately abused positioning to disable a boss, your time will be void. This means safe spotting a boss, line of sighting to cause a boss to break, etc.

Spoj The Second.7680

Its not really a safe spot though. Meh im sure cookie can clarify.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I thought 1. was fixed. If not then it would be disallowed. For 2. Id say its legit and it doesnt work reliably anymore anyway.

1. does. Though depends on spot. Up the treehouse or on the rock? Treehouse 90% works. Rock 100%. though I may have a limited sample size.
Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Jeremlloyd.6837

Well if he can’t move at all, you’re safe from the plague attack

Spoj The Second.7680

Last time i did it he managed to move off no problems. So i assumed it didnt work anymore. :P

Tree.3916

I am leaning more toward banning CoE from this tournament unless….

1. Golem is fixed in a patch.

2. We get 100% confirmation of what bugs it and how it can be avoided. If we know 100% what causes it to bug no one can argue it bugged unintentionally and we can just consider it a wipe.

Otherwise I see this dungeon as being too likely to result in a bug out for me to want to risk it. Thoughts?

And I see no problem with using positioning to prevent the plague attack so long as you can still be hit by other attacks. It sounds more like an old spider queen situation than a Ooze coral situation but feel free to correct me on that.

Posted by: dutchiez.7502

dutchiez.7502

I agree to ban CoE unless it’s fixed.

Nova [rT]

Jeremlloyd.6837

Yeah same I agree with banning CoE for now. And about the end boss of cm p2, well we need Cookie to answer to that

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

I am leaning more toward banning CoE from this tournament unless….

1. Golem is fixed in a patch.

2. We get 100% confirmation of what bugs it and how it can be avoided. If we know 100% what causes it to bug no one can argue it bugged unintentionally and we can just consider it a wipe.

Otherwise I see this dungeon as being too likely to result in a bug out for me to want to risk it. Thoughts?

And I see no problem with using positioning to prevent the plague attack so long as you can still be hit by other attacks. It sounds more like an old spider queen situation than a Ooze coral situation but feel free to correct me on that.

I agree, just unfortunate as that jumping part is a great spot to get some people killed

Dub.1273

Please ban everything but ac, ta, se and arah. As a side product, that bans all un-fun dungeons.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Please ban everything but ac, ta, se and arah. As a side product, that bans all un-fun dungeons.

:( I like HOTW1

Posted by: Errant.1942

Errant.1942

Then how could someone choose HotW p2 or p3 just to troll the other teams?

Not so Bright | Death and Taxes [DnT]

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I do HotW so rarely I totally forgot about it. I think many teams are going to choose those paths, and I look forward to some hysterical deaths.

Tree.3916

I look forward to someone picking hotw story mode. There are some… interesting encounters.

Posted by: NeoVaris.4806

NeoVaris.4806

I look forward to someone picking hotw story mode. There are some… interesting encounters.

Which are those, I don’t remember anything special except for the last boss. oO

[HC]

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Those birds… I have unpleasant memories of them.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I was looking over http://gw2dungeons.net/?HOTWS to try to remember that path. I definitely remember the end boss and his stupid birds. But most of the bosses listed say “does huge damage” or something to that affect.

All the bosses in all paths of HotW either do no damage or do enormous damage (or some combination of the two.)