Dissolving the Zerker meta

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Miroe.2054

Miroe.2054

As a mesmer most of my gameplay relies on positioning, dodging and timing my utilities. Im using exotic celestial gear since it gives me a little bulk as well as making both my direct dps and my conditions relevant.

Unfortunately in most dungeons the most viable tactic is zerker stacking which is boring and a little too easy. Especially popularity of the zerker-only farm run is getting out of hand and the damage you are getting from a boss can be completely migrated if you use your two dodges right.

So here is a solution that does both, reward a more defensive playstile as well as improving the challenge for people doing speed runs:

The idea is to add a buff that lasts 1 minute and boosts the movement speed, attack rate and damage by 25% and is triggered whenever a boss loses another 10% of his health. the total base Movement Speed of each boss is set down to 80% of its current total, so it gets back to 100% whenever he has one stack of the buff.

However, if it takes less then a Minute for the team to cut 10% of the boss’ health, the buff starts to stack up increasing the overall challenge forcing the group to put more effort into support and evasion.

Im well aware, that the threshold and the timers are not optimal for every boss and that they may vary.

What do you think about the idea? And what are your own? Am I a noob? And do you like the current state?

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

Terrible idea.
/15char

Posted by: winterchillz.2564

winterchillz.2564

/15charsofbingo

Cloud of Sparrows
Fluffiest Blood Legion Charr
“At least I die knowing my sisters are free”

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

If you want to strike at people losing all survivability towards damage by forcing them to make fights longer than 1 minute then you should balance it with a buff for people losing damage for survivability.
In that idea if a fight last more than 2 minutes and a half then players fighting the boss should lose 10 % armor every minute to force them not to tank damages and killing boss by exhaustion.

(this is not a serious suggestion, just to say that if every setup are meant to go through dungeons then there is no reason to strike one specifically and not the others)

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: TKiller.6829

TKiller.6829

Whoa, everyone’s a meta breaker today.

Slow down.

Defeated by packet loss.

Posted by: Miroe.2054

Miroe.2054

you should balance it with a buff for people losing damage for survivability.

Thats what Im already trying to do here. The Idea is, that at the moment there is an imbalance and this is trying to make defensive builds more viable.

The other way would be to add actual undodgeable attacks or bosses who’s attack patterns are a lot more aggressive so your defensive stats are just as valuable as your offensive ones

Id prefer a mechanic that turns your defense into an advantage then your offensive into a disadvantage but right now we have exactly that – timed bosses that do exactly that – rend your defense useless and promotes dps races.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Thats what Im already trying to do here. The Idea is, that at the moment there is an imbalance and this is trying to make defensive builds more viable.

The other way would be to add actual undodgeable attacks or bosses who’s attack patterns are a lot more aggressive so your defensive stats are just as valuable as your offensive ones

Id prefer a mechanic that turns your defense into an advantage then your offensive into a disadvantage but right now we have exactly that – timed bosses that do exactly that – rend your defense useless and promotes dps races.

Why can’t you see defensive gear works as it’s intended? It obviously cannot do as much damage as a glass cannon. Go look at the dodge unbound full cleric Lupicus kill! If anything, defensive gear trivalizes content because it makes it unnecessary to dodge.

With our current system, you can LITERALLY wear whatever you want and get the job done. Of course it will be faster with a full damage group, why shouldn’t it be?

Please, God of Logic… help me.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Ranael.6423

Defensive build are viable in the sense you can run a dungeon with them. There is no need to up them or to nerf zerk. In my guild we never look in others’ pants and we play the build/armor we have fun with and we go through almost everything like this. Sure for some harder things we organize a bit more but for the “basic” dungeon we don’t need 5 hours… Yesterday we made a full catacomb run and we just forgot about Ele’s FGS because everyone was trying a new build/character. Even with that every paths was the usual 15 minutes (ok we cheated, Detha did not bug ! )

The only imbalance is in people needs that is being super fast while don’t go for all DPS. Tomorrow zerkers will ask for a buff giving them more HP if they hit hard enough to compensate their lack of survivability.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

If you do not Like running “zerk”

dont do it.

if you claim that the looking for goup is only filled with “zerk only of GTFO”

i will stand right up and call utter and complete horse kitten

I spend HOURS and HOURS watching the LFG TRYING TO FIND THE ZERKER ONLY GROUPS…..

you want to know what. they are not that common.

now…

I wish the the VERY best of luck and i dearly do hope you enjoy playing the game. I certainly do. been playing since the beginning and i still have a good time.

so. why dont you go play your game. And i will go play mine. with a redicuously small percentage of the player base.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Why can’t you see defensive gear works as it’s intended? It obviously cannot do as much damage as a glass cannon. Go look at the dodge unbound full cleric Lupicus kill! If anything, defensive gear trivalizes content because it makes it unnecessary to dodge.

With our current system, you can LITERALLY wear whatever you want and get the job done. Of course it will be faster with a full damage group, why shouldn’t it be?

Please, God of Logic… help me.

I’m gather because he thinks gears like Knights and Valk should be considered the standard, Cleric’s and Soldier should be considered fine or welcome, and Zerks should be for those crazy people looking for a rush.
At least, that’s what years of gaming has conditioned them to expect. Then along comes GW2 and it isn’t All-round balanced spec that’s most desired, but the high risk glass cannon. Gives the illusion that something’s amiss. I don’t think the lack of an aesthetically pleasing meta strategy helps it any.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

That’s what anet gets for abolishing gear stats standardization from gw1 and introducing gear stats diversity. Neverending story.

Ranael.6423

That’s what anet gets for abolishing gear stats standardization from gw1 and introducing gear stats diversity. Neverending story.

Not true : in GW1 you had those runes of superior attributes (+3 attribute, -75 HP). I remember guys runing them while being front line and die every mob packs. Some others were better and hence performed really well with those runes… same logic in GW2 but more diverse and with different scales.

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

The only viable option for defensive gear is to practice solo, where you have a little more room for errors.

However, if punishing zerker is your ideal (because of whatever reasons stated in the OP) then Anet will need to improve the variety of the attacks thrown out by the boss, like those in Boss Blitz. They are kinda cool to fight with 5 men or less. The ogre is a total FGS/AoE breaker. Implementing new dungeons with new bosses would be nice.

My two cents.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Not true : in GW1 you had those runes of superior attributes (+3 attribute, -75 HP). I remember guys runing them while being front line and die every mob packs. Some others were better and hence performed really well with those runes… same logic in GW2 but more diverse and with different scales.

Yea, because having 13% less hp meant that you were dying instantly. Runes are runes, not stats tied to a gear.

Posted by: Emanuel.9781

Emanuel.9781

B I N G O
I
N
G
O

Rezardi [DnT] – Elite Playhowiwanter US
NemesisMMNecro [rT] – Trans-Transsylvanian RPer EU

Posted by: Kupper.8074

Kupper.8074

Lots of ideas to break the stack/Serker (c’mon people there is no Z) lately, but the real way to “fix” it is to do one of two things…. or…… BOTH!

1 – Make conditions not cap party wide, and beef up the damage output they can put out.
2 – The real problem of it all…. the AI. Heck, if a boss “senses” that there are a bunch of FGS wielding people in a corner, it should say to itself “Self, I’m going to the meat grinder if I round that corner, maybe I should use my awesome aoe and splash it on them”. I wasn’t around for beta, but I heard that the monsters would actually dodge you in a more active combat. If they just implemented that on bosses that would be great.

JQ – The ‘veggie’ Knight
Berserker = Skilled http://i.imgur.com/g1rkIub.jpg
Never forget – http://i.imgur.com/Oxra9sj.jpg

Posted by: xallever.1874

xallever.1874

The bingo is strong in this one

Ranael.6423

2 – The real problem of it all…. the AI. Heck, if a boss “senses” that there are a bunch of FGS wielding people in a corner, it should say to itself “Self, I’m going to the meat grinder if I round that corner, maybe I should use my awesome aoe and splash it on them”. I wasn’t around for beta, but I heard that the monsters would actually dodge you in a more active combat. If they just implemented that on bosses that would be great.

Let’s be fair if mobs get an AI making them go out of AOE then give them a way to interrupt people activating healing skills as well. Then along with bringing some immobilized to keep them in aoe you will also have to bring a lot of stability and sync healing skills for everyone in the party

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

/15 charrs cried

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

It’s summer, why can’t all these special snowflakes melt already?

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Aaaaaaand another one of these threads pops up for our entertainment. Ty, OP!

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

B I N G O
I N G O B
N G O B I
G O B I N
O B I N G

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

But everybody’s like:
Magi’s
Soldier’s
Cleric’s on your trinkets
Tanks
Healers
Bears on a gold leash

We don’t care, we aren’t caught up in your anti-zerker affair

And we’ll never be casuals
It doesn’t run in our blood
That kind of “deeps” just ain’t for us, we crave a different kind of builds

Let me be your soloer (soloer)
You can call me queen spider
And baby I’ll solo, I’ll solo, I’ll solo
Let me live that fantasy

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Another solution: go play a game with less action-oriented combat, instead of ruining this one

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

But everybody’s like:
Magi’s
Soldier’s
Tanks
Healers
Bears on a gold leash

Let me live that fantasy

That actually made me smile!!! I love that song!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Lilith Ajit.6173

But everybody’s like:
Magi’s
Soldier’s
Tanks
Healers
Bears on a gold leash

Let me live that fantasy

Me too!

If you write the whole song I’ll sing it on TS to fund raise for the tourney

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

I’d pay for that.

Dub | [rT]
#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Lucas.9157

Lucas.9157

Me too!

Nice . I always try to make “singable” parodies, if that word even exists.

Lilith Ajit.6173

My voice is like silk baby.

Hahaha I’m kidding it’s okay though.

[ARES]

pdavis.8031

@OP

After much discussion with and about the Beserker community, I have discovered that it’s not the gear/build that is the issue. The reason why Beserker is the meta, and stacking and DPS is the prefered tactic for dungeons is simply because the Boss fight mechanics are flawed. Stacking in a corner prevents most bosses from doing a massive AoE attack, which means it can be taken down quicker and easier. The Spider Queen was a good example of this. Now she will use her AoE regardless of stack and requiring different tactics. Also the quicker Bosses can be taken down, means that most will not have the opportunity to use their party wiping attacks. The fix to this, and to make more builds “viable” (they already are btw, not OPTIMAL but VIABLE), they need to fix the mechanics. Instead of nerfing beserkers, or buffing other builds, why not make the boss do a massive party wipe AoE attack where players are stacked? Or have the Boss attack more frequently? With more attacks coming sooner, Beserkers will break like the glass they are as they can only dodge so much. Just some ideas.

Again, the reason Beserker became the meta, was because of broken boss mechanics, thus rendering anything else useless, Nerfing it, or buffing other builds, or even the boss won’t change it. The mechanics need to be fixed to achieve any kind of balance in PvE.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

But everybody’s like:
Magi’s
Soldier’s
Tanks
Healers
Bears on a gold leash

Let me live that fantasy

Me too!

Did you see my verison of Bohemian Rhapsody? It was actually inspired by a dev….

recognize my command!”

Lilith Ajit.6173

But everybody’s like:
Magi’s
Soldier’s
Tanks
Healers
Bears on a gold leash

Let me live that fantasy

Me too!

Did you see my verison of Bohemian Rhapsody? It was actually inspired by a dev….

I think I saw it but I know I could never do that song justice <\3

[ARES]

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

@OP

After much discussion with and about the Beserker community, I have discovered that it’s not the gear/build that is the issue. The reason why Beserker is the meta, and stacking and DPS is the prefered tactic for dungeons is simply because the Boss fight mechanics are flawed. Stacking in a corner prevents most bosses from doing a massive AoE attack, which means it can be taken down quicker and easier. The Spider Queen was a good example of this. Now she will use her AoE regardless of stack and requiring different tactics. Also the quicker Bosses can be taken down, means that most will not have the opportunity to use their party wiping attacks. The fix to this, and to make more builds “viable” (they already are btw, not OPTIMAL but VIABLE), they need to fix the mechanics. Instead of nerfing beserkers, or buffing other builds, why not make the boss do a massive party wipe AoE attack where players are stacked? Or have the Boss attack more frequently? With more attacks coming sooner, Beserkers will break like the glass they are as they can only dodge so much. Just some ideas.

Again, the reason Beserker became the meta, was because of broken boss mechanics, thus rendering anything else useless, Nerfing it, or buffing other builds, or even the boss won’t change it. The mechanics need to be fixed to achieve any kind of balance in PvE.

Stop spouting “stacking prevents boss attacks.” Stop stop stop. Kholer uses his most powerful AoE attacks. Alpha uses his most powerful AoE attacks. Lupi uses his most powerful AoE attacks. Destroyer of Worlds, dredge bombers, Tezza, Frost (except on the stupid pug hill), Howling King, Ghost Eater, Leurant, Alphard, whatever— just about every boss of worth is able to use their most powerful attacks when you stack (I think Colossus Rhomblus in the stupid pug stacking spot in ACp3 is the only one that doesn’t anymore).

Stacking lets you DPS faster, which means you are less vulnerable to these attacks. But the attacks themselves happen! They are just prevented by things like dodges, evades, and blocks.

gahhhhhh

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

But everybody’s like:
Magi’s
Soldier’s
Tank*er*s
Healers
Bears on a gold leash

Let me live that fantasy

I love you. Sing me moar songs!

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

As a mesmer most of my gameplay relies on positioning, dodging and timing my utilities. Im using exotic celestial gear since it gives me a little bulk as well as making both my direct dps and my conditions relevant.

Unfortunately in most dungeons the most viable tactic is zerker stacking which is boring and a little too easy. Especially popularity of the zerker-only farm run is getting out of hand and the damage you are getting from a boss can be completely migrated if you use your two dodges right.

So here is a solution that does both, reward a more defensive playstile as well as improving the challenge for people doing speed runs:

The idea is to add a buff that lasts 1 minute and boosts the movement speed, attack rate and damage by 25% and is triggered whenever a boss loses another 10% of his health. the total base Movement Speed of each boss is set down to 80% of its current total, so it gets back to 100% whenever he has one stack of the buff.

However, if it takes less then a Minute for the team to cut 10% of the boss’ health, the buff starts to stack up increasing the overall challenge forcing the group to put more effort into support and evasion.

Im well aware, that the threshold and the timers are not optimal for every boss and that they may vary.

What do you think about the idea? And what are your own? Am I a noob? And do you like the current state?

Better solution:

Create your own group for players to join who want to play how you want to play and not tell others how they should play.

Ranael.6423

gahhhhhh

Feeling better for the week end? ^^

Sorry to spoil the joy but I’m afraid you’ll have to redo it next week and the week after ….. but I share your relief

pdavis.8031

@OP

Stop spouting “stacking prevents boss attacks.” Stop stop stop. Kholer uses his most powerful AoE attacks. Alpha uses his most powerful AoE attacks. Lupi uses his most powerful AoE attacks. Destroyer of Worlds, dredge bombers, Tezza, Frost (except on the stupid pug hill), Howling King, Ghost Eater, Leurant, Alphard, whatever— just about every boss of worth is able to use their most powerful attacks when you stack (I think Colossus Rhomblus in the stupid pug stacking spot in ACp3 is the only one that doesn’t anymore).

Stacking lets you DPS faster, which means you are less vulnerable to these attacks. But the attacks themselves happen! They are just prevented by things like dodges, evades, and blocks.

gahhhhhh

I stand corrected about stacking. However I stand by my main point of broken mechanics that allow for a high DPS meta (i.e. Beserker) to be the only (percieved) build that works. Passive defense (vitality, toughness, etc.) is pointless as the way current boss mechanics work allow for dodging and other forms of active damage mitigation to be much more effective. Again, instead of buffing the bosses, buffing other builds, or nerfing beserker, a fix to the mechanics (stacking or otherwise) to make passive defense more useful I feel would make other builds much more viable without casting aside any paticular build.

recognize my command!”

Lilith Ajit.6173

@OP

gahhhhhh

I stand corrected about stacking. However I stand by my main point of broken mechanics that allow for a high DPS meta (i.e. Beserker) to be the only (percieved) build that works. Passive defense (vitality, toughness, etc.) is pointless as the way current boss mechanics work allow for dodging and other forms of active damage mitigation to be much more effective. Again, instead of buffing the bosses, buffing other builds, or nerfing beserker, a fix to the mechanics (stacking or otherwise) to make passive defense more useful I feel would make other builds much more viable without casting aside any paticular build.

I think you need to remember that defensive stats are only useless when you know the mechanics and understand when to dodge. There is literally no good purpose for these stats to be useful when you play flawlessly.

if you want to argue this for fiery rush I will gladly take that as a good argument. But as it stands… the game cannot get better at being play how you want.

[ARES]

pdavis.8031

@OP

gahhhhhh

I think you need to remember that defensive stats are only useless when you know the mechanics and understand when to dodge. There is literally no good purpose for these stats to be useful when you play flawlessly.

if you want to argue this for fiery rush I will gladly take that as a good argument. But as it stands… the game cannot get better at being play how you want.

I agree that this game is great for play how you want. Don’t want to play the meta? don’t. Don’t like “zerk only or GTFO”? don’t join the group. It’s simple. As much as I would like a discussion about active vs passive defense, I won’t, as such discussions tend to get threads shut down, as people quickly begin to make personal attacks much along the lines of “You’re a noob because you can’t dodge right”, “Anyone not using zerk needs to l2p and shut up” etc.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Actually what happens is people who want passive defense keep trying to force it on the rest of us while we just want to be allowed to play in peace without being harassed about “all you have to do is dodge, faceroll content blahblah no fair I want to tank”.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

pdavis.8031

Actually what happens is people who want passive defense keep trying to force it on the rest of us while we just want to be allowed to play in peace without being harassed about “all you have to do is dodge, faceroll content blahblah no fair I want to tank”.

I’ve seen it go both ways actually…

But if everyone just play and let play, the game and the forums would be a much happier place.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

But if everyone just play and let play, the game and the forums would be a much happier place.

It certainly would, but really, it’s almost always the playhowIwants who start these threads.
How many elitist threads have you seen that want to force PVT players to play differently? We don’t want them to change their playstyle, we just want them away from our parties.
Most of us won’t bite without reason.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I’ll totally bite and spill your blood if you try to lecture me on how I’m supposed to be playing the game and spending my time.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

Best way to dissolve the zerker meta. Turn GW2 into SAB.

No no, seriously. In SAB everyone’s damage is the same. Armor, traits, none of it matters… Just you and a pointy stick to save Princess Miya.

Edit: I wonder what an 8-bit lupi would be like :o

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

maha.7902

How many stacking and berserker threads have you seen lately?

And then, how many cleric gear threads have you seen lately?

Yeah.

I’m pretty fed up of being told my playstyle is “wrong”, an “exploit” and should be “fixed”.

pdavis.8031

Best way to dissolve the zerker meta. Turn GW2 into SAB.

No no, seriously. In SAB everyone’s damage is the same. Armor, traits, none of it matters… Just you and a pointy stick to save Princess Miya.

Edit: I wonder what an 8-bit lupi would be like :o

OR you could just turn GW2 into a sims clone. As stated before in other threads, doing damage and killing mobs is an exloit anyway…

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

@maha

I feel you. I do understand where you are coming from. In my case, I’ve found that with my chosen build/gear its that “I’m only pretending to do x,y,z” And that my chosen weapons are useless and weak, and should run beserker with X/Y weapon set, and that I am a bad player, and less than useless in a group because of it.

But all that aside, I have nothing against beserkers and those who like that play style. It’s not for me. I will own my build and defend it, but I won’t push it upon others, and claim that beserker is wrong, an exploit, or broken.

As far as threads? I’ve seen several of both, more cleric than beserker. However, In threads regarding new players and builds, they are almost always directed to beserker, with maybe a small footnote of play how you want, but that beserker is best.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/Wanting-suggestions-for-build
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/Help-with-new-warrior

Just a couple of examples.

recognize my command!”

maha.7902

I don’t see any obnoxious berating in either of those threads, it’s people calmly explaining that berserker gear and DPS builds are optimal. In threads made by non-berserker users about stacking and berserker gear they call it exploiting, that it should be removed from the game and that it trivialises content – all three which are completely incorrect – and then when told otherwise, our arguments are completely ignored.

We aren’t forcefully imposing ourselves saying “cleric/soldier/valkyrie gear should be removed from the game/it’s exploiting” and making countless threads about it. Cleric and soldier do however trivialise content as it allows you to literally go up to a boss, turn autoattack on, tab out and get something to eat or browse youtube.

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

This is the internet: any time someone is told they are wrong, they are just being berated and the person correcting them is just being mean and a bully.