Fix the Twilight Arbor Forward/Up Path

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Tbf the dodge the shake thing has never worked consistantly/perfectly for me in the past. When I do get evades its just the eggs and they dont spawn spiders, they stack vulnerability on you.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Strangely enough, if you look up after the tree shakes its head… you’ll see some green eggs flying at you.

This is GW2 we are talking about, all I see when I look up is my Norn backside

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

The attack being inconsistent is fair. If anything, now it will consistently spawn spiders. However, I am sure that that particular attack has the potential to spawn spiders. If anyone ever done the leaf method (yes yes I know), it is a popular method as the party is unreachable by spiders (both spiderlings and recluses) and the eggs will fly over the party, miss and burst behind. During this time, you can see that spiders will appear where the eggs burst.

Posted by: Corfel.8047

Corfel.8047

Last few attempts I’ve had at this path have all failed

With the way dungeon tokens have changed I find less people repeating dungeons, thus it’s hard find a group sometimes if noone wants to re-run. When I do find a group it’s a pug and pug’s are notorious for being a bit of a flop.

I’m all for a bit of a challenge but so far no pug I’ve joined can down this boss and I end up wasting my short amount of playtime to get there for people to quit.

~ JQ Server ~ Corfel/Corful/Coreline ~ Team Savvy~

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

The big problem is being basically forced into certain build compositions to beat the path.

No you don’t. Almost every class can bring things to stop projectiles. Maybe if you’re using 5 necros you might struggle or something.

But even then, you can do the boss without reflects. You can do the boss without armor. All you have to do is dodge (is that part of your party composition?) or use reflects. Pick one. Neither of them require you to change your party composition.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

Man, if you get any nicer, Ghandi is gonna come out of his grave and shake your hand.

QFT though.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

All this talk about dodging his shake move to avoid spawning spiders, did they fix the bug that happened to trigger all these TAFU threads where the spiders were already spawned before you even got into the room? Cause I remember dodging his shake to avoid spawning spiders back when I would go with pugs who would go just range him, but then some bug changed it so that tons of spiders were already spawned in the room and they would all aggro when you start attacking, rather than the old way where they only aggroed if you hit them.

Retired. Too many casuals.

Bright.9160

I haven’t done TA since I left on my holiday like 2 months ago, but back then there were only a handful of white mob spiders in the room when you started it, and spiders usually wouldn’t spawn until like 10-15 seconds into the fight (usually around when he was at 60-50% health).

“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard

spoj.9672

Spiders are still pre-spawned throughout TA and arah. But they are fine on the TA boss at the end. Honestly surprised the devs havent fixed the pre-spawning of drop down mobs in dungeons. Its been bugged for over a month.

Broadicea.8294

I haven’t done TA since I left on my holiday like 2 months ago, but back then there were only a handful of white mob spiders in the room when you started it, and spiders usually wouldn’t spawn until like 10-15 seconds into the fight (usually around when he was at 60-50% health).

Yeah you missed the change then, but could probably see it in one of Nikaido’s videos. Not that I’m agreeing with the NERF TAFU NOW!! crowd, but we should all at least agree that it did change.

Bright.9160

Ah yeh, that bug.. I’ve seen it in Arah already, but not many people are jumping to do TA, so haven’t gotten to it yet…

How many spiders drop down in the TAFU nightmare room?

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

This is my favorite TAFU thread

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Posted by: Golgathoth.3967

Golgathoth.3967

I only need to do TA two more times to get the chest piece (my last one) but I haven’t done it since January… should I, like… wait for a while? Or something? I mean, I still have PTSD just from doing it back then. Seriously, it usually took like three hours if things went well.

Sylvari: 7 Humans: 3 Charr: 2 Norn: 1 Asura: 0
“Tarnished Coast” since head start!

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Well, the good news is I managed to beat the path. I managed to do it with a strategy no one else really recommended. It was quite complicated, and was hard as hell.

Basically it is this: I would run in on my engineer with perma swiftness + vigor and encircle the tree once, getting all the spider’s attention. Then, after one lap, 3 more teammates would run in kiting behind the spiders, doing as much damage to the tree as possible while running in a circle. The last person was a longbow ranger who would attack the tree at maximum range, out of the way of the spiders.

The combination of me spamming grenades, + 3 others attempting to kite around + the ranger on the hill managed to slowly kill the tree. However, half of people would always die in this process.

I still say this path needs a nerf. Make it so the spiders de-spawn or something, that way you don’t have to start each subsequent fight completely overwhelmed.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Bright.9160

Well, the good news is I managed to beat the path. I managed to do it with a strategy no one else really recommended. It was quite complicated, and was hard as hell.

Basically it is this: I would run in on my engineer with perma swiftness + vigor and encircle the tree once, getting all the spider’s attention. Then, after one lap, 3 more teammates would run in kiting behind the spiders, doing as much damage to the tree as possible while running in a circle. The last person was a longbow ranger who would attack the tree at maximum range, out of the way of the spiders.

The combination of me spamming grenades, + 3 others attempting to kite around + the ranger on the hill managed to slowly kill the tree. However, half of people would always die in this process.

I still say this path needs a nerf. Make it so the spiders de-spawn or something, that way you don’t have to start each subsequent fight completely overwhelmed.

The ‘strafe around while slowly chipping at the tree’ tactic has been proposed before.

We just didn’t propose is because it’s stupid.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

This sounds incredibly intense.

Perhaps next time you guys could try this:
Have 3 people 1200 range the tree from the entrance. These people can pop reflects if they have them for the baby hatchlings if they spawn. Dodge Sideways as the “green goop” falls from the tree during the headshake animation.

Have 2 people behind them in the hallway out of range of the headshake spider eggs. These 2 people should be focusing fire on the recluses and hatchlings that may pop and aggro the forward team.

Maybe something worthwhile to try out?

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Rather than fixing F/U, I think ANet should fix bad players.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

This sounds incredibly intense.

Perhaps next time you guys could try this:
Have 3 people 1200 range the tree from the entrance. These people can pop reflects if they have them for the baby hatchlings if they spawn. Dodge Sideways as the “green goop” falls from the tree during the headshake animation.

Have 2 people behind them in the hallway out of range of the headshake spider eggs. These 2 people should be focusing fire on the recluses and hatchlings that may pop and aggro the forward team.

Maybe something worthwhile to try out?

That was plan A. It didn’t go so well.

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

That was plan A. It didn’t go so well.

Rough. Ah well. At least you managed to get it done.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

A single YouTube search of TA F/U would result in plenty of videos on how to successfully beat this boss. Obviously anyone not able to clear any dungeon content has not used the simple search feature.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

This thread makes me feel young again

Oceanic [LOD]

spoj.9672

This thread makes me feel young again

^

Tree.3916

Why is everyone saying kitten?

Bright.9160

Why is everyone saying kitten?

The forum has a terrible censor on naughty words that replaces all of them with “kitten”.

It’s really bad, can’t say AFK with small letters, can’t say that – it’s, because that spells mammaries etc.

Bright.9160

Ok so instead of doing PVP you are content with simply being able to dodge roll at the right time? Don’t worry your fans here agree that it is a good idea to be as safe as possible so you are not exposed.

Nike has fans? Last time I checked, he was even my fan. I can prove it.

Oh wow this thread got good. So we have a couple of wannabe elitist CoF scrubs telling some of the best PvE’ers in the game that they are wrong about rune choices… backed up by horrible math and a stunning display of failing to understand game mechanics.

And then Bright drops an epic level post. My god.

And it’s a minor thing but I like that Eagle runes were even mentioned. As if anyone ever actually endorsed those for pve, so just mentioning those as viable is hilarious to me on a personal level because it’s a rare glimpse into the view of a know-nothing from the outside looking in.

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

A single YouTube search of TA F/U would result in plenty of videos on how to successfully beat this boss. Obviously anyone not able to clear any dungeon content has not used the simple search feature.

That is the interesting thing: every group I have been in has consulted youtube and consulted a guide when doing the path. It just happens that not everyone can do what is on youtube. Hence, why it is on youtube in the first place: to show off.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

To be fair the videos on youtube didn’t state the fact that you can’t do anything right in this game without using decent builds.

Your pugs can’t imitate these videos by running rabid gear on a sword warrior.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

Never cared for the path myself never failed at it either but there is a reason it is called F.U.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Tree.3916

+1 for Nikaido

I didn’t realize a video on YouTube is just for show. Maybe, just maybe, people that have trouble with completing content should listen to the people that ARE completing the content because we might just know what we are talking about. It’s a bit of a stretch but I bet if you mimic group compositions and builds you might just finish said content.

(edited by Tree.3916)

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Some videos are for show. Some are genuine guides. Not hard to figure out which is which.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

It’s pretty difficult when I don’t bother watching them

Oceanic [LOD]

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Heh… I managed to accomplish “plan a” but in a manner I didn’t expect.

Trying that with my engineer and my necromancer didn’t pan out so well. But I discovered something so useful it is almost unfair. So useful that, despite the whole “use reflects and projectile destruction”, the guardian on the team didn’t even bother with it, and we still managed to succeed. Made me want to slap him silly…

Anyway, apparently the trait “Concealed Defeat” from thieves actually has a use. The hardest part about the “stand by and attack spiders while someone ranges” thing is that player downs and defeats accumulate quickly, and once one player falls the rest fall like dominoes under the zerg of spiders. Except… with the trait Concealed Defeat. That smoke screen when downed halts both silvers and unranked mobs alike, making it so it is safe to rez me every time I kicked the bucket, and likewise if I go to rez someone else and I go down, then we can both rally off of a spider now that we are well defended.

So, with signet of malice in hand, a dagger storm in reserve, smoke screens a plenty and a cunning mix of valkyrie + berserker gear, the super squishy thief stood at the forefront of the spider horde, making every defeat my victory, while other players alternated between pole positioning the tree, and withdrawing to fend off spiders. I suppose what has me so elated with this tactic is that, nowhere had I ever suspected that “berserker thief faceplants” would be a proficient and viable defense maneuver, let alone for the 10 or 15 minutes it took to kill the tree this way.

That said, I still do think that this boss needs a nerf of some kind. It is quite simple why, really:

While some teams managed to just run up and DPS the tree down while spamming reflects, other teams kite indefinitely while attacking the tree in a circle and some teams rely on a sacrificial thief to maintain an extremely high uptime with smoke screen, the fight never feels engaging, or designed well. All of the videos and tactics I’ve used and seen used are more along the lines of gaming the system than actual tactics. Like we’re abusing rules in the game to deal with bad design than actually engaging the boss in a respectable way.

Bright.9160

That said, I still do think that this boss needs a nerf of some kind. It is quite simple why, really:

While some teams managed to just run up and DPS the tree down while spamming reflects

We already proved that you don’t even need reflects to kill him. If your DPS is sufficient, you can just run in and burst him down and he’ll only get the chance to spawn 1 batch of spiders.

And even then, you can dodge the spiders as well, so technically, even if you can’t DPS him down before the spiders become a threat, you don’t need reflects either.

Posted by: zerotwo.4731

zerotwo.4731

Anet has decided to make it easier to beat this boss. There will be a chain to pull when entering the area. A cinematic will kick in showing the shocked expression of a cow and the camera angle backs in time for us to see the cow fall from the sky and crush the tree. Then the fight begins. We are left with just some kitten ed off spiders and we can only use the broken limbs from the tree to kill them. (since your ever so sharp swords and axes can’t hurt the mad spiders).

Can YOU defeat the angry arachnids!

Posted by: Lemaign.3529

Lemaign.3529

Do you not SEE the yellow-green globs raining from the sky? Does you instinct tell you to get hit by them instead of dodge them? I’m sorry, but if it’s inherent for a player to not avoid kitten from a boss, circle or no circle, cue or no cue, tell or no tell, then the problem is the player NOT the encounter.

I will concede that the encounter should reset upon wipe. But I will not agree with an overhaul of the encounter.

There is a difference between an intuitive challenge and being just plain crushed by indecipherable mechanics.

I have no problem with running in and being surprised by a million spiders. That’s fine if it feels like it’s part of the fight that I have to overcome. What I have a problem with is when the persistence of those spiders actively subverts the design of the fight, which is clearly unintentional, yet people defend it anyway and refuse to acknowledge the broken aspect of it, then turn around and attack the people struggling with it… and oddly, you seem to agree with this, so what are you accusing me of exactly? That’s what my entire post is about.

Bright.9160

Some of us have already admitted that the spiders need to despawn after a wipe.

Other than that, the fight is just fine.

Bright.9160

Not only did I beat TA F/U but I also just beat Liadri the Concealing Dark with almost a minute to spare.

Liadri is a challenge you can progress with and is still really challenging while learning it. Your skill is completely tested. TA F/U feels more like learning a gimmick in order to beat it.

TIL DPS is a gimmick.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

You know, ANet could put an end to these topics if one of the devs would kindly say a word about the subject.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

That would be great.

Broadicea.8294

You know, ANet could put an end to these topics if one of the devs would kindly say a word about the subject.

and why would that put an end to it

as long as scrubblebutt pugs keep failing, there will be threads

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Anet already responded to a thread regarding zerg farmers and people are STILL up in arms about farmers.

Responding to a thread about something doesn’t always (in fact, rarely) actually stops topics.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Except it would in the dungeon forum because only a small core of people frequent this section, and they’re not like the braindead masses in the other forums.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

Oh well, that might be true.

Also: Can we call this the great TAFU SNAFU? Pretty please? I just want an excuse to say it.

Broadicea.8294

Oh well, that might be true.

Also: Can we call this the great TAFU SNAFU? Pretty please? I just want an excuse to say it.

Attachments:

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

Let’s see.

-Poorly telegraphed one shot attacks- check
-Adds that don’t despawn if you wipe forcing you to redo the dungeon- check
-A sea of adds up at all times which endlessly spawn no matter what you do- check
-Enough direct and condition damage to kill your party thrice over flying around constantly- check
-Highly unintuitive fight- check
-Massive ramp up in the difficulty of the fight that makes every single guide and video up completely useless since they don’t show how the fight actually looks- check
-A mechanic, reflection, which should logically deflect the spider’s ranged attacks being completely ineffective- check

And all of this makes for a fight that simply is poorly designed. Particularly the last note- why is there fourty spiders using ranged attacks on me, if my ability meant only to reflect ranged attacks does not do so?

Overall- extremely unintuitive fight, buggy, and broken if you wipe on it. Game’s been out for a year, how long are you fanbois going to defend broken content? Guess they’re too busy with living story to devote a team to bug fixes.

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

-A mechanic, reflection, which should logically deflect the spider’s ranged attacks being completely ineffective- check

Thats funny. When we did it yesterday reflects worked fine. Maybe teach your party how to stand inside them.

Death and Taxes [DnT]

Bright.9160

1. Use game mechanic wrong
2. Complain on the forums that mechanic doesn’t work and ask for nerfing a fight where the mechanic works really well
3. ???
4. Profit

Posted by: rfdarko.4639

rfdarko.4639

Thats funny. When we did it yesterday reflects worked fine. Maybe teach your party how to stand inside them.

Most of the projectiles are reflected, but some of the silver ones have projectiles that won’t be, which might be what he’s refering to. You generally won’t see them unless you wipe (assuming you’re using the reflect meathod), if you do, though, there are 6 or 7 usually standing around the boss. That’s part of what makes fighting him post wipe so tricky. That said, calling reflects “completely ineffective” is exaggeration to the point of inaccuracy – it’s only a few of the projectiles that are inexplicably immune to reflects.

guildless hobo who likes to solo – [x]

(edited by rfdarko.4639)

spoj.9672

The silvers dont fire projectiles, they just run up to you and bite.

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Let’s see.

-Poorly telegraphed one shot attacks- check
-Adds that don’t despawn if you wipe forcing you to redo the dungeon- check
-A sea of adds up at all times which endlessly spawn no matter what you do- check
-Enough direct and condition damage to kill your party thrice over flying around constantly- check
-Highly unintuitive fight- check
-Massive ramp up in the difficulty of the fight that makes every single guide and video up completely useless since they don’t show how the fight actually looks- check

And all of this makes for a fight that simply is poorly designed. Particularly the last note- why is there fourty spiders using ranged attacks on me, if my ability meant only to reflect ranged attacks does not do so?

Overall- extremely unintuitive fight, buggy, and broken if you wipe on it. Game’s been out for a year, how long are you fanbois going to defend broken content? Guess they’re too busy with living story to devote a team to bug fixes.

-kitten -check

get it

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman