General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 2

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

That timetravel guy is all over the place. It’s great to see that level of care going into a product.

Probably Hrouda would be, by now, the equivalent of that Timetravel guy if he wasnt kicked out because of company switch of focus to living story.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

We should start addressing W* as Whiteside Ridge to avoid more PvF guys.

Any of you elitists that are going to be playing on Whiteside EU? Just to make sure we pick same server or something

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

there are only 2 server per region. play on Jabbit PvE. its the PvE mega server and pick Exile.

I’ve seen WS is going F2P soon~ish. If HoT brings nothing new to dungeons & fractals, I’m thinking about rolling over. Considering I enjoy pretty much fractals and dungeons only in GW2, would WS be interesting for me?

yes, but its not afk difficulty like in gw2. the game will melt your face.

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

Posted by: Minigrump.4961

Minigrump.4961

I feel so out of place being dominion….

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

You can create toons on both Whiteside factions with the same account, though, right? I’m prolly gonna start with an Aurin, but there is definitely a Chua in my future.

Minigrump.4961

Yeah i believe so. Just don’t know what class/race combo to do for exile

NoTrigger.8396

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

the game will melt your face.

Phiws claim that’s why the game flopped. I have a hard time believing them, but I wonder…

Omg, those are considered cool sets in the game? Wow…. O.o

Posted by: Lendruil.9061

Lendruil.9061

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Where-is-promised-challenging-HOT-content/page/2#post5108382

Does he say with this post, that they will introduce challenging content and its NOT open world?

Skuldin - No Hesitation [hT]

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

No its just a different way of phrasing what they said before. Wyverns arent the challenging group content they were talking about. The open world stuff weve seen in the beta so far isnt the challenging group content they were talking about. Although it does hint at it being instanced by saying they want open world in general to be more challenging but thats not what they were referring to in the announcement. But that could just be poorly chosen words by Colin.

I mean it is certainly encouraging that they dont consider open world bosses like the Wyvern as “challenging group content”. Which kind of indirectly says they know it needs to be separate from the open world experience. But its still vague and uncertain.

(edited by spoj.9672)

NoTrigger.8396

Phiws claim that’s why the game flopped. I have a hard time believing them, but I wonder…

nah the game “flopped” because of performance issues, bad itemization, bugs, bad leveling experience and you couldnt really do kitten at launch. all of it got fixed.
and alot of people dont want to pay a sub.

some people are just mad because they went into the game with the same mindset like in wow or gw2 and they got wrecked. getting wrecked and realizing that you are too bad is hard to accept. some people give up, some people improve and get things done.
and ofc nobody will say “ws doesnt suck, i am just bad”, you know, pride and ego.
in terms of difficulty you could see gw2 solo dungeons and fractals as tutorial for wildstar and im not overexaggerating.

timetravel said the statistics show people who have entered a dungeon or raid stayed longer/more often in the game than the people who didnt.

[qT] Quantify

spoj.9672

Loads of people quit right after GW2 was released because they didnt know what to do for endgame. Its fairly common for games to have a bit of a flop after the initial hype and level rush. Then it picks up again when the remaining players discover things to do and info spreads. Obviously the scale of the flop depends on the quality of the game. As does its ability to recover.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Does he say with this post, that they will introduce challenging content and its NOT open world?

if that was the case why wouldn’t they have just announced it

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Loads of people quit right after GW2 was released because they didnt know what to do for endgame. Its fairly common for games to have a bit of a flop after the initial hype and level rush. Then it picks up again when the remaining players discover things to do and info spreads. Obviously the scale of the flop depends on the quality of the game. As does its ability to recover.

I remember right after GW2 launched and fractals were fairly new all the “WHERE IS THE END GAME?” threads in the forums. I would always say, “are you dungeon master? Are you fractal 80? Are you an experienced WVW commander? Did you hit rank 80 pvp?” The answers were always no, but they didn’t get the point usually because all those things are optional. They want the developers to say “THIS IS THE END GAME DO THIS”

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Where is the end game now?

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

NoTrigger.8396

http://www.twitch.tv/aaritv

gonna summon a secret worldboss (2 40 man raid bosses) in the open world for artifact weapon imbuement soon if anyone wants to watch. not sure if the boss will bug out or not since nobody has seen it before.

[qT] Quantify

dlonie.6547

Where is the end game now?

PvF — you’re playing it

dlonie.6547

http://www.twitch.tv/aaritv

gonna summon a secret worldboss (2 40 man raid bosses) in the open world for artifact weapon imbuement soon if anyone wants to watch. not sure if the boss will bug out or not since nobody has seen it before.

Congrats on that sweet kill :P

deSade.9437

nah the game “flopped” because of performance issues, bad itemization, bugs, bad leveling experience and you couldnt really do kitten at launch. all of it got fixed.
and alot of people dont want to pay a sub.

some people are just mad because they went into the game with the same mindset like in wow or gw2 and they got wrecked. getting wrecked and realizing that you are too bad is hard to accept. some people give up, some people improve and get things done.
and ofc nobody will say “ws doesnt suck, i am just bad”, you know, pride and ego.
in terms of difficulty you could see gw2 solo dungeons and fractals as tutorial for wildstar and im not overexaggerating.

timetravel said the statistics show people who have entered a dungeon or raid stayed longer/more often in the game than the people who didnt.

Fair enough. I’ll think about it.

Posted by: Jockum.1385

Jockum.1385

Colins Post is intersting, but I’m a bit sceptic. Afaik HoT will get some fractal stuff so he might be refering to this…
According to the FAQ:

Q: When is the next big feature reveal for what’s coming in this expansion?

A: We wanted to reveal Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns when we were ready to talk about every major feature we’re planning. That’s why right now, every major feature planned for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is there for you to check out at http://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com. That said, there are so many details left to uncover and share with you, to show you, and to eventually let you play as we take you on the journey from now through launch.

I don’t think dungeons are a “detail left to uncover”.

In 2014 Ramon Domke answered a intersting question at the foostival. Its in german, but to give you a very rough translation (my english is bad, so its not an accurate translation):
“are you planning teamcontent in the future? Many players think only dungeons and guildmissions are really requiring a team”
“definitely, but it depends on the definition of teamcontent. If the questioner means 5 player instances or instanced raids. GW2 tries to realize much in the open world while other games put those things into instances. Yes, we are trying to place there (open world) teamcontent without getting zergy. We had 7 hotfixes for the assault knights (battle for LA) to make them less zergy, more rewarding and team interactive. We are definitly interested in making content for groups.”
…..
german interview 2014
So when Anet talks about teamcontent this could also be open world content. Because he dodged the question some thought this means “no real teamcontent” like dungeons etc. Since it’s a year ago they were right. Maybe Anet brings “real teamcontent” in the future, the interview is outdated. But it gives an impression of Anets interpretation of teamcontent. So when talking about challenging teamcontent it could be everything. Even rezzing a dead player in open world while running to a mining spot.

IF Anet has decided to bring instanced challenging stuff: decision is made, they could tell us they are planning to bring instanced stuff.

(edited by Jockum.1385)

NoTrigger.8396

im pretty sure there will be new instanced PvE content in HoT. and im pretty sure they will continue the living story after HoT release, because they already said that… and we all know what living story means.

[qT] Quantify

deSade.9437

I refuse to let myself hope there will be new, challenging in any way, instanced in any way content. The disappointment would be grand.

spoj.9672

Yeah im not going to give myself false hope. I will wait until they explicity state what they are doing.

Posted by: Battlerobot.9461

Battlerobot.9461

Here/s a few tips for running an efficient “speed, fast” run for dungeons and fractals. I’ll start with the dungeons. the general rule here is to know how to stack. If you don’t know where the spot is say something before hand or just follow where most of the people are running to. The reason you stack is so the boss is 1. not running all over the place and the melee is chasing after him, 2. so the group can get as many blasts and fields off as possible for might buffs and the fields will in turn melt the boss to. Even if you’re running a range weapon you should stack to. Stacking will help you be able to dodge more, trust me in the long run it’ll help you more. Also try to dodge into the wall so they boss will stay there. The main boss for COE an attack that freezes in a cube, so if you dodge away from him he could freeze you and now you group would either run out to get you out or not notice you at all and in both cases is not the most efficient fast, speed clearing.

In Fractals it’s a different story, Mossman and Shaman is not stackable. Starting from F38 up most of the bosses at that level is not stackable unless you’ve got a super tank Guard or more. That being said, there’s are strategies that can make the fights easier.

Mossman

You’ve got to be able to kite and dodge, if your group has good timing you can run in for semi stack/might buffs/leaps finishers. Finally if you’re downed try to find one of his wolves to rally on, the regular ones are really easy to down. Oh most of the time you should be trying to rally if it’s a zerky group then you’ll melt the trash mobs faster than you would have to stop dps and res.

Cliffside

The first fight you should stay less than 500 range of him and kite him and again if you can get in for a quick stack then do it other wise just kite him in a circle. If you do right meaning the person with the agro runs into melee range he’ll go into his stun where the aoe circles spawn. If he’s kited correctly he’ll pretty much spend the whole fight like that. At that -500 range he won’t do his hammer jump and knock you upside the head. He will however do an aoe bolt attack, so be ready to dodge it. The next time you fight him, there are 2 phases, the first phase is the same. The second phase comes when he is at 50% health, when this happens every 10 seconds or so he’ll do a flash that is aoe damage at about 600 range. He’ll raise his hand and then put up a reflect buff that lasts about 5 seconds. If you’re low in health don’t let the flash hit you, also if you’re ranging him then make sure you don’t shoot yourself.

Mai Trin

Pretty much the same strategy as phase one of Cliffside boss. If you have a Guard and he’s good at maintaining agro and keeping aegis heals etc.. up then you can stack. The Guard can also be the blink fodder cause his aegis will block the shot. If your kites her then make sure you stay in -500 range, if you see her raise her left arm the pistol arm and points at you. You can run really quick and stop her from porting but she will do an aoe attack like the Cliffside boss.

If your group can kite and maintain the -500 range then you’ll be able to make those fights more efficient cause you won’t have to go chasing the bosses to the other side of the map and probably won’t have to res the downed as much haha.

dlonie.6547

Thanks Jockum. Now my transfer to the Whiteside server is even better justified. Oh well. They know what we want better than we do. That’s why so many have left….hmm….

Made it to level 8 Leveling isn’t too bad. More interesting than heart quests or fetch quests.

Combat is surprisingly easy. I’m running a Stalker, and Stealth + Analyze Weakness + 2x Impale with a couple autos thrown in is taking down world bosses solo O.o Meanwhile I see ranging Spellslingers taking 10s to kill a single trash mob xD

It’s fun though, and I imagine it will get harder at higher levels. Things like False Retreat look like they’ll lead to some really fun gameplay as things ramp up.

NoTrigger.8396

yup, leveling is cool and i liked it better than the gw2 leveling. but some areas will feel a bit grindy and boring around level 25-40 i think. for example whitevale and the biodomes in farside.

gathered some stalker leveling advice for you:
<02:30:23> “Kiritochwan”: mainly go into impale and shred
<02:30:32> “Kiritochwan”: amps just into assult tree, try to get enabler(amp)
<02:30:37> “Kiritochwan”: but it doesn’t really matter because stalker is op
<02:30:39> “Kiritochwan”: for leveling

[qT] Quantify

(edited by NoTrigger.8396)

dlonie.6547

Ah cool, thanks — looks like I’m off to a good start then I’ll start heading toward Enabler in my tree.

Posted by: Kordash.2197

Kordash.2197

To Wethospu, about the Mai Trinn Fractal Stealth reset on gw2dungeons, didn’t got a video (wasn’t on the right computer) but i can confirm : full team in stealth DO NOT reset the fight.
Proof in the screen below, i was able to reproduce it again some days ago with some guildies. All in level 50.

Also, if you have a ranger with a dead pet and shadow refuge all the team, the dead pet get targeted by one of the canons (saw it in the third run on a lower level (20), see the second screen)

Attachments:

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Posted by: Cheezy.2039

Cheezy.2039

Please, that joke has become meta itself. I have seen casuals referencing it on reddit as well

Cheezy – Vis Invicta [vC]

The meta is changing at an alarming rate.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

holy kitten, the witcher 3 is pretty good indeed. Playing since yesterday and even tho i feel like a noob (managed to kill the kitten griffon) i enjoy every second i play!

Good pick ! Told you
Pick Death March straight away, its nice.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: frifoxy.6014

frifoxy.6014

Why does stargazer has to be such a troll…
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbsFwKOPIHw

Mesmer Calc: Power DPS | Condi DPS
Mesmer Data: Attack Rates & Coefficients
Other Stuff: Youtube

Posted by: sunset.3056

sunset.3056

About the W* topic. I love W*, I played the beta extensively and have had an open sub since the beginning. If you love dungeons, raids, and difficult group content, this game is for you.

The leveling sucks though.

Posted by: Acotje.5689

Acotje.5689

Anyone got a video of an Engi bursting Brie?

Hello darkness, my old friend.

Minigrump.4961

my problem with W* right now is I have to do the attunement process. was waiting in a queue for about an hour for a vet dungeon before i gave up waiting and just went and did some other stuff. plus i have nobody to play with since it is dominion

NoTrigger.8396

on EU the waiting time is 2-5 min, then queue pops. what you can do is try to queue with your offspec. should be faster then.

[qT] Quantify

Minigrump.4961

just completed my first veteran dungeon. took just over 2 hours. was incredibly fun.

(edited by Minigrump.4961)

Quickfoot Katana.8642

How long does it take to level up in Whiteside?

And do dungeons become obsolete as you level or are they our current dungeons in GW2? Do we have downscaling?

dlonie.6547

I started Friday and I’m at 15. I kinda take my time, though. If you wanted to just mash through all of the dialog and skip lore/sidequests you could probably go much faster.

You can downscale (or upscale!) for normal dungeons, but they have normal vs. veteran modes, so once you’re endgame they’re still appropriate and balanced separately (from what I’ve read).

Another neat thing is that the “shiphands” are like mini dungeons that scale from 1-5 players, so they’re straightforward to solo.

I did the first dungeon last night, and it’s basically a nice tutorial that shows the basic mechanics and strategies of bosses. Really well done — explained things well, and left me wanting more. Coordination is going to be very important in this game.

My toon is Garri Laseurreyes. 25g to the first one to figure out the reference.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

deSade.9437

Errrr, the star wars guy?

NoTrigger.8396

How long does it take to level up in Whiteside?

And do dungeons become obsolete as you level or are they our current dungeons in GW2? Do we have downscaling?

the veteran dungeons will never become obsolete, because its one of the best ways to make money and you will earn “glory” for group content. glory is needed to add runeslots for example.
and if you dont wanna pug you can solo the normal mode dungeons without downscaling. its easy gold and you can salvage the items for rune crafting materials and rare runes that are worth alot on the AH.

the normal mode dungeons are like the gw2 dungeons (scaling and not max level), the vet dungeons are level 50 and obviously the difficulty and mechanics are different.

on my first char it took me 4 days to reach 50. thats when you know nothing about the game. the second one took me 3h, because of powerleveling.

I did the first dungeon last night, and it’s basically a nice tutorial that shows the basic mechanics and strategies of bosses. Really well done — explained things well, and left me wanting more. Coordination is going to be very important in this game.

i guess that was the protogames initiative thingy? how do you like the interrupt armor system?

[qT] Quantify

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Is HoT out yet?

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

Nothing is off the table.

Minigrump.4961

Here is a table. Look at what is on it. All the info you need

Attachments:

dlonie.6547

Errrr, the star wars guy?

Nope. No gold for you :P

Less scifi, more stoner.

on my first char it took me 4 days to reach 50. thats when you know nothing about the game. the second one took me 3h, because of powerleveling.

kitten ! I thought I was going somewhat fast, lol. I’m curious how you leveled in 3h…not that I’d want to on this toon, I like to actually play through the story the first time around

i guess that was the protogames initiative thingy? how do you like the interrupt armor system?

Yep! IA is ok. It looks exactly like defiance, except that it appears to actually matter in this case.

You can solo the normal dungeons? Are the IA wipe-timers less important in the other instances? I tried soloing the academy but the bosses require 5 IA removal, and I didn’t think any of the classes had that much.

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

id guess leveling in 3h would be the w* equivalent of crafting

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

dlonie.6547

Prolly. That’s just insanely fast, glad to know that there are ‘fast paths’ if you want to get alts up faster.

BTW, have they released the full guardian trait rework for post HoT? The ones I’ve seen don’t have the Virtues line, but I wonder if they might just get rid of Consecrated Ground altogether with the revamp. All it does is cause bugs (double WoR, lupi oneshot), this might be how they intend to deal with oneshotting. It’s only be a band-aid unless they have plans for mesmer, too, but you know…nothing if not kitten.

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

The spec calculator~ on dulfy’s site has the traits as shown on the livestream. In addition to that, Consecrated Ground, Elite Focus, and the +50% spirit weapon duration traits are all becoming baseline. So yes, double wall will be gone, but oneshot won’t, and guardians will have to deal with weird diagonal walls and screwy positioning like engis currently do. Of course, all of this is subject to change.

Posted by: Jockum.1385

Jockum.1385

Afaik: consecrations will now always be ground targeted – so “they fixed” double usage.
Traits can be found here: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgIBqAKoBag

Edit: too slow

dlonie.6547

>.<

I saw that the trait was gone and thought “well, maybe they’re trying.” I need to remember that issues like this aren’t even on their radar table.