Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

General Dungeon Discussion Thread - Part 2

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

Oh my kittenlord.

SOOOOO looks like Shiro is gonna have some useless ccs, kittenty damage… but at least some mobility in combat. Hopefully we won’t all die while WAITING for the mobs to die of boredom.

I like the Jade Wind mechanic, that’s a nice touch. I hope Shiro won’t make some of the other legends obsolete though. Or devalue them too much. That would be a wrong step for the class.

What’s up with this anti-dps, anti-Shiro obsession? The forums are all like “mimimi I don’t want my snowflake special support role to be devalued mimimi I don’t want the dps legend mimimi”
The hell.

(edited by deSade.9437)

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Its pretty simple. You dont need to be told how to play suboptimally and safe. Thats easy. However people misinterpret the advice given on optimal play as the only method. Then again if people are stupid enough to misinterpret it like that then they deserve to stew in their own ignorance.

And the content is so easy right now there really is no point on wasting effort encouraging safety.

Actually quite a few people do need some hints to find the kind of set-up (both equipment and party wise) that’s most comfortable to them. Many players these days, especially those new or not very experienced in dungeons, are simply told “berserker or gtfo”. You pretty much have to re-invent the wheel yourself to figure out what works with what dungeon and what group if you want to go “against” the meta.

It’s easy enough to see once you’ve moderately mastered the “berserker way”, understand the class and encounter mechanics and such, but without that knowledge, it’s actually fairly difficult to figure out class and equipment compositions and how to deal with many bosses when “icebow 5 and burn” isn’t an option.

I was dungeoning with my guildies the other day. All but one party member beyond the age of 40, all of them with more achievement points than I have (and I had just passed 17k on my main account), none but me in full zerker/assassin (actually even I played part of it in my wvw rabid gear … because they’d been making fun of my mesmer tripping over the long skirt of her zerker armor ).

We went into CM at a relaxed pace, “skipping” most of the skips in favor of full-clearing (except for the large center room) both p3 and p1 because some of our party members weren’t comfortable with skipping (especially since we only had mesmer stealth) but going ahead at a steady pace, without danger of wiping anywhere. It was a relaxed evening, we had fun on TS, and I only realized how long we’d been in there when Gab asked “you’ve been in there all that time with a full group for two paths???” .

Yet there’s still days when some of those guildies, with other group compositions, wipe continuously on some of the current GW2 dungeons they’ve been running for almost three years. Not because they’re bad, but simply because they’re “different”. Many of them are at an age where reflexes slow down and praticing seemingly simple things like dodging certain telegraphed attacks is a lot harder. Couple that with the fact that none of them run dungeons daily, most only run a few paths a week if any, and you get people who are just not cut out for meta dungeoning, but they’re pretty much on their own trying to figure out how to deal with the dungeons since they lack the knowledge most of you dungeon experts have, and it’s hard often hard to find fight explanations beyond “icebow 5 -> burn”.

I’m pretty confident in my own dungeon abilities and knowledge by now, mostly thanks to all the people on this forum who have given advice and shared experiences in here as well as taken me along to let me learn and practice in game, and I’ve been able to share quite a few bits with my guildies, too, but “meta experts” and “non-meta casuals” don’t always mix, and often it really does come down to re-inventing the wheel themselves if they want to dungeon in non-meta ways.

Maybe people really don’t “need to be told”, but a bit of advice on how to tackle content differently sure wouldn’t hurt. Plus maybe, just maybe, it would shut up idiots that come into groups starting off not with “hello” but with “why’s there a mesmer here? we don’t need a mesmer” in a simple, casual SE p1 … (yes, I’m still sore about that idiot ).

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/adventuring-forth/

From the blogpost about adventures

“However, the area isn’t exactly easy to navigate, and there are target dummies all over the place. Not only will you have to recognize the pattern in which they appear, but as your score increases, more and more dummies activate, forcing you to make split-second decisions about which targets to shoot and which targets to leave behind.”

Challenging content confirmed!

Im laughing hard at the thought of this specific adventure detailed being considered as challenging. We went from slaying huge epic beasts in dungeons to “Making split-second reactions about whether to shoot the dummy on the left or the one on the right”

I’m pleased to see they are solo, this way they don’t steal the place of potential “challenging group content”

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Oooh, they’re gonna get leaderboards for the Adventures, too!

That sounds familiar….

Quickfoot Katana.8642

Oooh, they’re gonna get leaderboards for the Adventures, too!

That sounds familiar….

It’s fail-proof since these Leaderboards will actually come at the same time than said feature

Having that said, a daily or weekly prize for the fastest FOTM 50 Groups could be some casual fun or not?

Doesnt get too much competitive due to the random nature of it but seems like good fun, unless they make a filterable Leaderboard where you choose the Fractal sequence!

For ex: Swamp + Ascalon + Molten + Mai Trinn

And then results pop out.

Maybe they are thinking about apply that kind of thing, following the adventure leaderboards thought process?

dlonie.6547

Requires effort + involves dungeons = no can do

Love the idea, though.

Quickfoot Katana.8642

I like the Jade Wind mechanic, that’s a nice touch. I hope Shiro won’t make some of the other legends obsolete though. Or devalue them too much. That would be a wrong step for the class.

What’s up with this anti-dps, anti-Shiro obsession? The forums are all like “mimimi I don’t want my snowflake special support role to be devalued mimimi I don’t want the dps legend mimimi”
The hell.

How are people calling the Jade Wind a “mechanic”? Isn’t it just an AoE version of Basilisk Venom? And Shiro’s heal the Thief’s Signet of Malice but with shiny floating green crystals?

deSade.9437

The hell.

How are people calling the Jade Wind a “mechanic”? Isn’t it just an AoE version of Basilisk Venom? And Shiro’s heal the Thief’s Signet of Malice but with shiny floating green crystals?

YEAHHHH that’s what I’ve been rambling about on ts for most of the afternoon! Kitten, i keep telling myself: “Why the hell are we getting more gimmicky skills that are in no way very original and are only some boring ccs or on hit effects? Why not some good ol’ DEEPS if they can’t think of anything original?”
The aa on the sword seems at least fun to see and play, tho; let’s pray it doesn’t have a huge slow casting time.

Talyn.3295

Maybe after I get my hands on it with the Shiro Legend I might like Rev Better as of right now though….

Attachments:

deSade.9437

Maybe after I get my hands on it with the Shiro Legend I might like Rev Better as of right now though….

Suuuure. Not. Nothing can save that class but an iteration.

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

Wow, that’s awful.

You just skip all the content in this game.

Play how you want :^)

Talyn.3295

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-to-GW2-not-having-fun/first#post5289135

For me the game gets boring for two reasons:

1. PVE is extremely repetitive and uninteresting, with extremely boring rewards.

- Levels 1-80, the goal is the get XP and level up. Which involves doing boring, repetitive hearts, map completion, or world events. While doing these things I often find myself in a Zombie state, or autodrive mode. Just absentmindedly pressing buttions and moving on to the next thing that will get me XP.

- After level 80 is reached, the goal then become to gear up and get cool stuff. This is where the game fails miserably for me. The drop rate on all the coolest things that I want are so impossibly low, that there is almost no hope to get them through random drops. That leaves only one option. Mindless, monotonous grinding for gold, and buying it on the TP. < not my idea of fun in anyway.

2. Elitism is getting pretty bad in this game.

- While GW2 community is certainly not the worst I’ve ever experienced… (cough SWTOR) … it’s definitely not the best gaming community out there.

- Dungeon Runners (not all) are the worst. I love running dungeons in MMOs. I find them fun and exciting and rewarding. But here, Elitism rules the dungeons: You must be full zerker! You must be level 80! You must have run this path 1000 times before! You must skip everything and speedrun! And the worst one, You must have 8000+ AP! < lol what the heck does AP have to do with anything?

- This kind of thing is far too common in this game and completely kills my joy for Dungeons. Rather than feed the Leets, I just avoid Dungeons as much as I can.

The game is ok in small doses, but it quickly loses its appeal for me because of those two reasons.

Doesn’t matter what the thread is. They still find a way to bash the dungeon community.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I must live in a bizarro world. Ive been gear checked like once. I rarely if ever list anything other than the path number for my groups. I rarely join groups that have reqs other than “p2”

I always see no req groups. Though they fill up so quickly that I usually just make my own.

how just how? Is it so hard to make your own group? is it? Does someone come round to your house and kneecap you if you make your own group?

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I must live in a bizarro world. Ive been gear checked like once. I rarely if ever list anything other than the path number for my groups. I rarely join groups that have reqs other than “p2”

I always see no req groups. Though they fill up so quickly that I usually just make my own.

how just how? Is it so hard to make your own group? is it? Does someone come round to your house and kneecap you if you make your own group?

Don’t you know? When opening your own groups, there’s a high chance that they won’t get carried by these zerker elitists they hate oh so much, could actually have an (for them) enjoyable experience and wouldn’t need to be BHBs. That just can’t happen.

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

When I pugged with my alt in EU alone, I would get kicked almost instantly (low AP). If I open a lfg for fractals, people would join, immediately leave and take my LFG down to the point I couldn’t open LFG again because of excessive spamming.

And I was a Zerker. Elementalist.

Likewise, when a friend and his other friend came to NA to play. They invited me then pugged the couple of last slots. They would ask for Gear Ping. AP check. Meta comp only. They would kick the pug flying at the slightest mistake.

If I’m looking at the Pugging experience at a whole from the Casual Pasture, the elitism is real.

dlonie.6547

PvF Bonus XP event!

With the necro meta rapidly gaining popularity in the trashcan, who’s up for this little initiative:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Another-CoF-Exploit/page/2#post5290513

I might just get a permaban for inciting something or other if we can pull it off.

Talyn.3295

PvF Bonus XP event!

With the necro meta rapidly gaining popularity in the trashcan, who’s up for this little initiative:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Another-CoF-Exploit/page/2#post5290513

I might just get a permaban for inciting something or other if we can pull it off.

The WvW form got its hand slapped pretty badly here while back for Necro posting. Seemed like the only post on the front page with Red in them, had been necro posted there from months earlier. There was even a sticky about not necro posting there. Its since been removed though.

dlonie.6547

lol, I vaguely remember something like that…what did they even say?

I have a hard time coming up with a legit reason not to do it here, though. Best I can come up with is that the devs won’t be able to find new posts that they wouldn’t have seen anyway… xD

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Tbh all these necros are bit lame. I see a new topic, click on it and it loads the last post.

Can you necro something I haven’t read before?

dlonie.6547

Know what’s lamer than a bunch of necros?

A dead forum.

You can always make a new account that didn’t read them the first time around. That way you can experience them in their full necro glory :-)

But yeah, that’s sort of a dead giveaway for old-timers.

for your edit I can try, but it’s a 10+ minute wait for me to post again :P

NovaanVerdiano.6174

The forum meta is changing at an alarming rate, suddenly necros are sought after.

Talyn.3295

lol, I vaguely remember something like that…what did they even say?

I have a hard time coming up with a legit reason not to do it here, though. Best I can come up with is that the devs won’t be able to find new posts that they wouldn’t have seen anyway… xD

I only remember that there was a sticky that said. Don’t necro post. Along with a warning that to many in the wvw subform had been necro posting threads with developer comments. The sticky said if you necro a post you could get infractions etc.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Hey :> been a while (two weeks +/-), did the game get better after trait patch?

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

lolno.com

On a side note atleast Revenant Shiro line seems solid for dps, too bad all of the other still suck balls.

IrisTheCasual.3742

Weapon swap to Revenant! \o/

The new OP?
The new OP?
The new OP?

10 weapon skills + 10 utilites

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Who swaps legends/weapons anyways :^

Snow Crows [SC]

IrisTheCasual.3742

The staff has a very responsive block and CC. The tablet can troll reflect quite well /giddity

deSade.9437

Looks like they’ve been making some good changes, been hoping for most of them.
Good stuff. Can use double fwactal sword and staff. Gonna be op.

IrisTheCasual.3742

Protective Solace: Fixed a bug that allowed this skill to block unblockable projectiles.

NO! NO! NOOOOOOOOO….! How am I gonna AFK attacking Old Tom at my leisure weep

On a positive note, staff gets a power up. So it’s definitely a good news for my RP plan.

deSade.9437

Monk here I come.

OMG HOLD ON WE GOT IMPOSSIBLE ODDS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NovaanVerdiano.6174

So I actually try to run a dungeon again for once and… the game decides that it’s a good idea to make me use the NA-Lfg tool even though I’m on an EU server and I’m not set to invisible or whatever. Joy.

deSade.9437

Too much of a floor scrubber for EU? Too good for this world? I don’t know, I no cares, all I can think of is… Shiro has delivered.
I guess he was like “take this, HATERZ”
Now I can supposedly play rev without feeling guilty.

IrisTheCasual.3742

Now, there’s only Glint left.

I feel like I want to yank Gabo’s collar, stare at his face eyes to eyes and scream “I TOLD YOU! GABE, I TOLD YOU! There will be Glint, and she will come to tear you apart. Hater!” /just a fragment of my fiction

deSade.9437

I feel like I want to yank Gabo’s collar, stare at his face eyes to eyes and scream “I TOLD YOU! GABE, I TOLD YOU! There will be Glint, and she will come to tear you apart. Hater!” /just a fragment of my fiction

/bites nose

Yeah ok, I’m a little more positive now, alright? You were right! #?%! women always wanting to be right…! /shakes fist
They’re going in the right direction. If, IF, we get to channel a badkitten huge dragon with effectiveness, I’m gonna be so so happy and fall head over heels for the revenant. i’m begging for it. I just want to fall in love with it, if they’ll let me.
GW1 YO

If anyone’s interested, there’s a river of tears currently flooding the revenant subforum, with engis and eles crying because revs got weapon swap and everyone, from guards (lol) to necros complaining they’re broken and better than any other class combined. I can direct you to the juiciest threads.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

/bites nose

Yeah ok, I’m a little more positive now, alright? You were right! #?%! women always wanting to be right…! /shakes fist
They’re going in the right direction. If, IF, we get to channel a badkitten huge dragon with effectiveness, I’m gonna be so so happy and fall head over heels for the revenant. i’m begging for it. I just want to fall in love with it, if they’ll let me.
GW1 YO

If anyone’s interested, there’s a river of tears currently flooding the revenant subforum, with engis and eles crying because revs got weapon swap and everyone, from guards (lol) to necros complaining they’re broken and better than any other class combined. I can direct you to the juiciest threads.

I just hear that Revenant got all the good stuff Necros asked for, which makes me pretty sad. Tfw they ignore both your favorite class and your favorite type of content.
Then again, I didn’t bother to actually check Revenant out because the class doesn’t interest me as much, so I can’t say if that’s even true.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I did always want to roleplay as a sword/sword warrior. Now i can roleplay on revenant.

And its better than necro so no guilty conscience.

deSade.9437

Honestly, I’ve read a lot of baseless complaints, for instance “rev got more lifesteal than necros” which is just a huge, steaming pile of bullkitten if I’ve ever seen one. They only got 2 traits (one of which will never be picked because it’s against the 20% dmg trait) and a weak heal.
They do have more mobility in combat than necros and, potentially, more team support.. but they also have smaller health pools, still no stun breakers but 1 (trait), no customisable utilities (people forget how big this is), less soft ccs, less hard ccs unless traited, less conditions… and this is from the perspective of a necro, like, the kittentiest class in the universe. I think rev and necro do have a few things in common, actually. As I mentioned, little stun breakers and blablabla.

Shiro-san brings good damage and mobility (and finally some group boons finallllyyyyyyy), alright, but people are whining because they say revs got more support and tankiness than a GUARDIAN. Oh, and more damage and mobility than thieves.
I’m not a mathematician nor a theorycrafter, but even I with my pea-sized brain can clearly see it’s a knee-jerk reaction.

I see mostly silence from rangers. I suppose many have just /sigh and given up as I did.

Oh, and energy. People forget energy. It’s not easy to keep it up and flowing, guise. Unless Glint gives some kind of energy management, you will not be able to do all those cool things at once. Gotta swap to jalis to get energy back? Oh look, you lost Shiro-chan.
kitten.

(edited by deSade.9437)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Well yeah but those finishers, buffs, utility and support options….. The better damage and the mobility… Its pretty clearly better than necro in so many ways. I dont really mind because id rather see the new class actually be designed to compete with the other classes than have it as another bottom feeder on the list.

Shiro spec alone basically gives everything necro has from 3 different trait lines lol. Damage, life steal, vuln and might. And that stunbreak is spammable up to 3 times consecutively. And its not like the necro uses a wide range of utilities as it is. So we may as well be locked into wells full time. And then theres the active defence. kitten its everything i could dream of having on the necro. :<

(edited by spoj.9672)

IrisTheCasual.3742

Spojski, did you see (my) block on sword 4? Oh, and another block on staff 3. Look at you, what a nec- oh, never mind… /roleplaying ends

And Gabo, it struck me that Glint spec will use shield, aaaaaand that shield… heals you a lot (from datamined skills) /shake my head At least you can use that FSP shield of yours. See the connection? FSP and Glint. kitten it, the heal hits my feel. It’s almost good.

deSade.9437

They do look like an improved version of necros – just less dark, yeah. I see the similarities and I see the superior strength. Still… we need the reaper to see the conclusive proof. Rev totally beats necro in group buffs tho, that’s for sure… means it’ll be more desirable in pve.
Don’t count him beaten for the personal damage yet!

I don’t understand why devs insist on limiting necros so freaking much. It’s a bit like with rangers – the 2 classes are bound by design to huge anchors, holding them down and not letting them take flight. They’d need just a few more pushes..
The spite line is good right now :< gives might, vuln, damage modifiers… it’d be cool if necros had more group stuff, but I like toying around with the blood line. I love all the auras and downed manipulation.
(saved nat or.. someone… from a bubble the other day, lulul downed and ooop, out you go!)
Agree on the thought that revs are almost a necro 2.0 or a “plan B”. But, isn’t it awesome that Shiro delivered almost everything revs lacked? Lul. The other trait lines need a lot of work still imo.

Anyway, a little kittened because the not-so-vacant 2nd ele slot, which could be taken by whatever, is AGAIN becoming more crowded with another contender.
Rangers running out of air or perhaps an overreaction of mine. I dunno, I’ve just been like this since the patch. I’m unsatisfied with the class.
Just gotta play vivvi, I guess. Looks tailored for me with the gw1 roots and the supportish nature.
AND DWAGONS. Yeah, totally mine.
(and 2 swords oh yes yes yes)

YEAHHHHHHH the shield. Gah. Another supportive hybrid thingy! Meh. Let’s hope they iterate on it and give it some more interesting effects.
OMG the roleplayng potential. FSP and Glint.. and Glint… ahhh… I didn’t think about it…
/faints
I better go to sleep.
No more handkerchief for me tho, now the staff is an actual weapon.

(edited by deSade.9437)

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Hey :> been a while (two weeks +/-), did the game get better after trait patch?

lol

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

dlonie.6547

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

WTB less necrotopics

Or maybe ANET could just give us a “mark as read” function like every other forum software has? Or did you hire an incompetent forum contractor, fire them for their incompetence, and never replace them because you’re (still?) internally debating whether or not you want to move to different forum software or just stay with this one?

Sigh.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

So I actually try to run a dungeon again for once and… the game decides that it’s a good idea to make me use the NA-Lfg tool even though I’m on an EU server and I’m not set to invisible or whatever. Joy.

If you logged into invisible mode then your client will be bugged until you turn yourself on ‘online’ and restart the client.

Posted by: Wuselknusel.4082

Wuselknusel.4082

The kitten is happening with this subforum? Why are there so many threads with redposts in it?

Edit: Oh now I got it, someone just dug all those post made two years ago.

(edited by Wuselknusel.4082)

Posted by: thrag.9740

thrag.9740

Hey guys,the necro threads got me thinking. Did dungeons use to actually be a lot harder? Like did anet change them to make them easier? Or was it that people learned how to insanely buff dps (banners/fury/might/vuln/spotter/bow etc)?

These necro threads make it sound like a completely different game. I’ve only been playing gw2 for a year.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

Mostly learned. But between april’14 and this recent big patch lower level scaling was broken and we were too good. It got noticeably easier for most dungeons then, but same strats just faster blowing them up.

deSade.9437

Do explain.. why would you fix something that has been bugging us all, and not brag about it? I’d of jumped up from my chair if you put that in the patchnotes! Thanks a bunch for that fix ^^

I’m not in charge of the patch notes, although I did make that request for it since there was considerable attention around the bug. Some bug fixes just aren’t deemed important enough to spend resources on, and some things we simply don’t announce (like some exploit fixes). I try to keep things as transparent as I can though, but the end decision isn’t up to me.

….
:(

Sorry, I can’t see anything with all these tears.