Meta builds, which classes have best DPS?

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

I don’t know which meta builds are the absolute best but I think this page is close to it:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/84416-guide-minmax-dungeon-groups-with-any-class-composition/

When all 8 classes are running these builds which classes do the most damage (if you could please rank them 1-8th)? Is the difference in damage meaningful, would you suggest a reroll to move higher on the list? Do any of the classes bring non-DPS support that makes up for being lower on the list (reflects, group healing, etc)?

Thanks!

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

err, this is horribly outdated…?

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Posted by: maxinion.8396

maxinion.8396

Most of those builds are pretty out of date.

Anyway it’s hard to rank, because so much of DPS is situational. Mesmers for example are very hard to rank— if you assume three iSwordsmen are out for the entire fight and never get destroyed Mesmer DPS is great. But somehow most speed running guilds aren’t running Mesmers anymore, because bosses usually die before you can get your phantasms up, and Mesmer DPS is bottom tier without their phants.

You’ll also get different answers for single target vs. AoE (thieves and necros move up against single target, for example).

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

err, this is horribly outdated…?

I didn’t know the meta has changed since then. Please rank the classes from 1-8th using current meta builds or the DPS builds you are familiar with.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: Cries Of Sorrow.5864

Cries Of Sorrow.5864

The meta hasn’t changed, the builds have.

Main Elementalist:Train Of Thought
Alt Warrior: Burning Paris
Best Ele build EU.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

1. Fgs ele.
2. Staff ele.
3. S/d lh ele.
4. S/f lh ele.
5.D/f ele.
6. D/f lh ele.
7. Ele.
8. Others.

Posted by: Anierna.6918

Anierna.6918

lol. I love that list. Ele ftw!

@ OP: It’s not about which class/build has the highest personal DPS. Personal DPS is meaningless. What matters is highest PARTY DPS. And in answer to that….

Requirements for [DD]

Our daily dungeon tours finish quickly because our members build their toons towards maximizing DPS. Exotic zerk trinkets, weapons, and armor with scholars is the minimum gear requirement, although ascended zerk is preferred.

Our group comp is usually:
- 1 LH Ele (10/25/10/25/0, s/x),
- 1 Staff Ele (30/20/10/10/0),
- 1 Thief (30/30/0/0/10, d/d + sw/p),
- 1 War (30/0/0/20/20, a/m + horn), and
- 1 other.

Depending on the dungeon, that “other” is one of the following:
- LH Ele (25/10/10/25/0, s/x),
- Guard (20/25/0/0/25, sw/f + GS),
- Mes (10/30/0/20/10, sw/f + OH sw), or
- Ranger (30/25/0/15/0, sw/horn, feline pet).

Applicants must trial with one of these classes/builds; that means no Necros or Engis.

The group comps we, [DD], usually run are:

3 ele, 1 war, 1 thief: all AC, all CoE
2 ele, 1 war, 1 thief, 1 guard: TA up/fwd, CM 1/3, HotW 1, SE 1/3
2 ele, 1 war, 1 thief, 1 mes: Arah 2/3, CoF 1/2

For record runs the group comps are sometimes different, but normal 17 path, 4 hour tours are with the above group comps. There will sometimes be a ranger, but never a necro or engi. Those classes are just unnecessary in high-end PvE.

Absolute highest party DPS is 3x Ele, 1 War, 1 Ranger, but we don’t usually run that because a Thief so useful.

Posted by: Clumsy.6257

Clumsy.6257

From highest to lowest its probably something along the lines of:
1. Ele
2. thief (single target)
3. everything else
4. mesmer

maxinion.8396

1. Ele
2. thief (single target)
3. everything else
4. mesmer

Poor mesmer

But but… if the phantasms don’t die… and if you let me summon them all before the fight starts… and if the sun is at exactly the right angle, and a quaggan jumps at the start of the fight, then the DPS is good!

(also to be fair, mesmer against Lupicus is still good DPS)

Clumsy.6257

1. Ele
2. thief (single target)
3. everything else
4. mesmer

Poor mesmer

But but… if the phantasms don’t die… and if you let me summon them all before the fight starts… and if the sun is at exactly the right angle, and a quaggan jumps at the start of the fight, then the DPS is good!

Unfortunately alphard, lupicus, and fractal bosses are the only situations where mesmer is useful. And even on those bosses its for reflects and TW, not personal DPS.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

1. Ele
2. thief (single target)
3. everything else
4. mesmer

Poor mesmer

Unfortunately alphard, lupicus, and fractal bosses are the only situations where mesmer is useful. And even on those bosses its for reflects and TW, not personal DPS.

That’s far more useful than any necro/engi! =b

maxinion.8396

1. Ele
2. thief (single target)
3. everything else
4. mesmer

Poor mesmer

dat CoF p1 portal tho

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

But somehow most speed running guilds aren’t running Mesmers anymore

Ill have you know that two of Europe’s leading speedrunning guilds have mesmers in charge!

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

I run my mesmer everywhere. Because purple butterflies and dual whisperblades.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Bring back Mimic in Fractals, watch Mesmers become cool again 8^)

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

maxinion.8396

But somehow most speed running guilds aren’t running Mesmers anymore

Ill have you know that two of Europe’s leading speedrunning guilds have mesmers in charge!

But that’s because you guys are portal masters! :P But seriously, in situations where you need reflects, mesmers are still good at dealing damage. I still bring mine in many runs too.

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

So sad that everyone thinks necros DPS sucks….
They also think necros group utility sucks….
Dredge=well of corruption… Just saying….

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Too bad necros do suck and well of corruption sucks

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

Mesmer sword AA chain rips boons off the enemies and they pack reflects.

Necromancer DPS doesn’t suck. In fact, it’s slightly better than a warrior’s, but they don’t possess banners or the ability to cleave 24/7.

The main issue with necros is that they can’t reliably cleave and sorely lack group support skills (and the ones they have are outshone by those of other classes). It’s not about raw damage.

(edited by FenrirSlakt.3692)

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

God that Guangtard is still active.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: Sanderinoa.8065

Sanderinoa.8065

God that Guangtard is still active.

Well I’ll remove being subtle from your list of qualifications now

Delvert/Sanderinoa [rT]
Retaliate is recruiting. again!
Fancy a Read? Extensive PvE Mesmer Guide

Clumsy.6257

Necro DPS does suck compared to elementalists and thieves. Necro utility does suck compared to every other class. . Well of corruption can remove a maximum of 25 boons per 40 seconds. A mesmer can remove a maximum of 73 boons per 40 seconds for the same amount of utilities (sword AA + null field).

jportell.2197

Necro DPS does suck compared to elementalists and thieves. Necro utility does suck compared to every other class. . Well of corruption can remove a maximum of 25 boons per 40 seconds. A mesmer can remove a maximum of 73 boons per 40 seconds for the same amount of utilities (sword AA + null field).

They can remove boons but they can’t change em to conditions…. Lets just say dredge on my necro is easier than dredge on my mesmer….

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

It’s not really what you can do, it’s what the group needs to get by. If you have utility, that’s cool, but can they get by without it? if so cool, lets go damage. If i can get more damage by not utilizing that utility and I don’t have to utilize that utility, it’s simply not ideal. And Ideal is what we’re talking here.

If you notice the list anierna posted you’ll see they basically take the best damage with the ele’s and war, then pull in the utility as it’s needed. When it’s not needed it’s dropped for the higher damage options. That’s why necros are left behind, their damage isn’t high enough and their utility isn’t needed enough /shrug.

We’re not talking easy, we’re talking fast.

FenrirSlakt.3692

They can remove boons but they can’t change em to conditions…. Lets just say dredge on my necro is easier than dredge on my mesmer….

Don’t quote me on this, but I’m pretty sure that the damage dredge take from their reflected attacks is much higher than whatever damage the conditions from WoC could do.

jportell.2197

Don’t quote me on this, but I’m pretty sure that the damage dredge take from their reflected attacks is much higher than whatever damage the conditions from WoC could do.

It’s not really the conditions that kill them… I’m not a condi necro…. but it turns might to weakness… Which is pretty awesome… You guys can hate necros all you want but I have seen some very good necros in dungeons.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

Clumsy.6257

It’s not really the conditions that kill them… I’m not a condi necro…. but it turns might to weakness… Which is pretty awesome… You guys can hate necros all you want but I have seen some very good necros in dungeons.

Define good. It doesn’t matter if I’m playing with the best necro in the world. Hes still less effective than a better than average elementalist.

jportell.2197

Define good. It doesn’t matter if I’m playing with the best necro in the world. Hes still less effective than a better than average elementalist.

And i see so many eles running healing builds in dungeons… yay for them right?

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

The Mexican Cookie.3690

Lets use anecdotes instead of actual logic to make arguments for why a class isn’t comparatively bad

yay

Clumsy.6257

And i see so many eles running healing builds in dungeons… yay for them right?

I really wouldn’t know. I don’t pug. edit: And after thinking about it, I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen a healing ele in PvE.

(edited by Clumsy.6257)

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

Necro with Well of Corruption vs. Dredge.

or

Staff Ele with ice bow vs Dredge.

Is this a question?

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

Necro with Well of Corruption vs. Dredge.

or

Staff Ele with ice bow vs Dredge.

Is this a question?

It’s the answer.

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I’d rather play pigbow in fractals… Egg op.

Posted by: Tachii.3506

Tachii.3506

Warrior:
GS + axe/mace with 30/x/x/x/20 hurts like a truck in PVE. Nevermind the banners + fury upkeep.

Ele:
Might stacks abuse. Overall abuse with conjured weapons.

I like to put Thief as a third since they have the highest against single boss targets. But they don’t really have decent party support aside from smoke fields and blast finishers.

SBI – Thief and the occasional Guardian & Warrior.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Warrior:
GS + axe/mace with 30/x/x/x/20 hurts like a truck in PVE. Nevermind the banners + fury upkeep.

Warriors used to be top notch dps class but that was many months ago.
The only thing making them somewhat useful is that their self buffing is really strong so most of the time they got more might than the others in the party and therefor more dps. In organised groups however warriors are real lacklusters. Lets hope anet does something about that.

Posted by: SorrowsEmbrace.8120

SorrowsEmbrace.8120

1. A bit more weakness, a few more random conditions

or

2. Portal, perma or near perma reflect uptime, better condi cleanse, better boon stripping, group stability…

~ Zoii

Posted by: IrisTheCasual.3742

IrisTheCasual.3742

Cleave or no cleave. That is the question!

By the ways, stealth is a nice addition to mesmer.

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Everything is changing this Tuesday so no point talking about it right now. There is going to be a complete redesign of all builds. GW 3 is coming out…

FenrirSlakt.3692

Everything is changing this Tuesday so no point talking about it right now. There is going to be a complete redesign of all builds. GW 3 is coming out…

Assuming that this thread is reliable, thing’s won’t change that much.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/91039-updated-dps-rankings-april-2014/

maxinion.8396

Assuming that this thread is reliable, thing’s won’t change that much.
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/91039-updated-dps-rankings-april-2014/

There’s not a great amount of reason to believe someone who puts Mesmer as top tier— the assumptions are clearly over generous.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Nobody speaks of rangers… can I have an opinion on their DPS? Might make one.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

From what I know, their DPS is similar to (possibly a little better than) warriors, but the fatal flaw with ranger sword is that you cannot interrupt the sword auto for, say a dodge or even moving normally, and if you’re as unfortunate as me, the 2nd or 3rd skills in the chain could cause you to leap off an edge to your doom.

They’re capable of applying 20 stacks of vuln in under a second, but it doesn’t last long and you can’t sustain it unless you’re scoring kills left right and centre.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

deSade.9437

It’s like a mini warrior, just 200 times funnier to play. Harder.
Btw, you can dodge inbetween/before autoattacks. Just need proper timing.
They’re op at lupi
E: Oh btw, remorseless is very situational. And it doesn’t matter if your vuln doesn’t last long, things die fast enough anyway. I prefer the straight dps increase of signet of the wild, even if it’s only 8 secs.
Try it with an offhand axe at lupi

(edited by deSade.9437)

Miku Lawrence.6329

7th character incomming.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Don’t forget your bear and bow.

deSade.9437

Filthy elitist.

Miku Lawrence.6329

Please master, teach me how to dodge inbetween the AA.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

You need to disable autoattack for a start.

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

The Mexican Cookie.3690

You need to disable autoattack for a start.

No.

Here you can observe one of the two people in the game who know how to play ranger. He, along with the other four members, have auto attack turned on. Turning auto attack off is just asking to lose DPS. This is actually a big reason why sword ranger is overhyped, because next to no one can (consistently) pull off the paper DPS in practice.

(edited by The Mexican Cookie.3690)