500 AP for GW1 Hall of Monuments Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nahla.7138

nahla.7138

Having a “leaderboard” for something like achievement points was a silly idea in the first place. There’s nothing “competative” about it…it just shows who grinded the most the past few months. I personally don’t care…at all…about the leaderboards. I DO care about getting a nice boost towards the AP rewards though.

Maybe they should completely reset the leaderboard (not players’ points…JUST the leaderboard), so it’d be fair for EVERYBODY that wants to be “grind competative”.

GW2 is NOT “free to play”! It’s “buy to play”!
I need a good guild. Q_Q

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Yea, honestly, I can’t see the value of a “competition” being something that can go on indefinitely like that. Instead, give the competitive types seasons. There will be no “omg I can’t catch up” or any of that crap. Just a contest to see who can get the most within a defined period of time. After it finishes, give kudos to the top ones and everyone can leave with some kind of token prize, so people can feel better about themselves, and everyone else can go on not caring about it.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

It’s hard to look at the leaderboard as being competitive because it is all time based. Congratulations, you play 16 hours a day. It is not skill based at all, it just shows who has the most time available. Of course, there is a bit of other things involved, like who can optimize their time best, but that can easily be overridden by others with more time.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I played Diablo 2 for 5 years, can I please have a kitten-ton of achievement points for previously-played games?

20 was a non-issue. 500 puts them in an entirely different rank. If you plot everyone’s achievement points on a graph, the number of players at certain achievement points will look something like this:

Attachments:

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

All I see in this topic: Jealousy.

for 500 pts , this is a storm in a glass of water

Posted by: Margonite Queen.7325

Margonite Queen.7325

I played Diablo 2 for 5 years, can I please have a kitten-ton of achievement points for previously-played games?

20 was a non-issue. 500 puts them in an entirely different rank. If you plot everyone’s achievement points on a graph, the number of players at certain achievement points will look something like this:

GUILD WARS 1

GUILD WARS 2

Do you have a mental deficiency or something

Mystic.5934

GUILD WARS 1

GUILD WARS 2

Do you have a mental deficiency or something

GUILD WARS 1

GUILD WARS 2

I am quite aware that they are 2 completely different and isolated games, thank you very much.

nahla.7138

GUILD WARS 1

GUILD WARS 2

I am quite aware that they are 2 completely different and isolated games, thank you very much.

Except that they aren’t isolated. They’ve been linked since day one.

I need a good guild. Q_Q

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Or have two leaderboards, one with APs that are doable by everyone and one without HoM/Dailies/Monthlies and Living Story achievements. 2 separate tabs on the leaderboards.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

GUILD WARS 1

GUILD WARS 2

Isolated?

It’s the same world, the same characters the same races. Today we play in a living story environment, where you are watching the game’s history unfold.

Guild Wars 1 is nothing less than the living story of Tyria 250 years ago. If people who didn’t get to play tyria’s past shouldn’t be allowed to keep the AP they earned back there, then it seems unfair to let you keep your AP from previous living story events, because anyone who comes after you will never get to earn them

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is Guild Wars 2. That means a Guild Wars came before it. It would be expected that there would be some sort of rewards for those loyal customers who stayed with the games through both iterations.

There are such rewards even without inflating AP gain from GW1.

Also, it might be noted that these bonus APs from GW1 are not loyalty rewards. There is no tie to how much a given player supported GW1 financially, or even how much time someone played. These are rewards for being willing to engage in specific grinds.

Someone who played ten thousand hours, bought six copies of each game, purchased every cash shop option available, and so on does not get these rewards for his loyalty, but someone who played a fraction of that time and spent a fraction of that amount can.

Hmm, for that matter I have spent approximately nine hundred dollars on GW2. Does that make me more loyal than someone who has not ? How many APs per dollar spent should we be getting for our loyalty ?

I played for roughly 3000 hours before HoM became a thing and the knowledge of GW2 rewards came about. Just by playing those 3000 hours doing whatever looked fun, I achieved 24/50 of the HoM points. I never really went back to get any others.

Someone who played GW1 at for 10,000 would have to try really really hard to not end up with 40 HoM points just doing whatever. They would actively have to AVOID HoM stuff to get less than 40.

This is incorrect.

One need not actively avoid HOM to get less than 40. One need merely enjoy, and play, elements of the game that did not reward HOM points. How many points were awarded for RA for example ?

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

not sure I recall gw1 vets asking for more lately. This was a nice surprise to them as Anet feels now the tab for gw1 achievements has been adjusted appropriately.

It seems all the ppl boohooing about this claim they are dedicated loyal customers of anet. If so prove it. Buy gw1 spend 1000 plus hours EARN the achievement points. Just like all the players that got them. The amount of time it takes to earn 500 points in gw2 vastly pales in comparison to getting 5050. imo it should be 1000 points or more.
Thank you anet for showing you have not forgot all those who supported gw1 for all those years. Don’t let the sniveling few undo what you have done.
The sense of entitlement I keep hearing about is by far more from those who did not get the additional points. I will no longer follow this thread, any comments to this post will only be to see your self talk. And to the above post. It’s not arrogance, its ignorance on the part of the whiners. ppl keep saying its a completely different game. really? if so it only shows how little they know about gw1/gw2

We didn’t ask. It is in fact a nice surprise, and the fact that it’s still in game leads me to believe that it is going to stay this way.

Sorry to the folks who are salty about this, but ArenaNet is not going to take this away and punish the loyal players just because you guys moved 2 spots down on a useless leaderbaord.

Enjoy your stay (and for some, enjoy the new games you head to because of this (LOL) ) and try not to hate people who have stuff you don’t have.

(edited by TehPwnerer.7215)

Posted by: Unknown.3672

Unknown.3672

These achievements are now giving 50 AP per completed achievement instead of the previous 2, is this a bug or working as intended.

Personally i think these should not reward any AP at all, (just titles + perks) as i feel i shouldn’t be forced to play GW1 to remain highscore competitive on GW2.

I think that’s well deserved points gw1 kept the franchise alive if they didn’t you would even have the time to complain on this forum.

TehPwnerer.7215

This is incorrect.

One need not actively avoid HOM to get less than 40. One need merely enjoy, and play, elements of the game that did not reward HOM points. How many points were awarded for RA for example ?

The RA title was able to be dedicated very high up, if not max – I CBA to wiki it since I’m on my way out for work. Basically it was worth 1 or 3 HoM points depending on whether or not you maxed it out and dedicated it that way, or used it as the PvP title.

I used Zkeys to get my PvP title because RA was a pain in the butt and to even get 1 title point you had to win at least 3 times in a row (didn’t bode well for a warrior).

Posted by: Azjenco.9425

Azjenco.9425

Even since before GW2 was released, ANet promised extra incentives to those who carry their accounts over from the first game to the second. I’m very surprised players are acting shocked over this now.

Posted by: Unknown.3672

Unknown.3672

Guild Wars 1 players biggest achievement was keeping the franchise alive so that gw2 could be made they should have gotten all those points at the start of the game. I have zero points in the HOM section and still thankful for original loyal players.

(edited by Unknown.3672)

TehPwnerer.7215

Guild Wars 1 players biggest achievement was keeping the franchise alive so that gw2 could be made they should have gotten all those points at the start of the game. I have zero points in the HOM section and still thanks for original loyal players.

Well you’re welcome, in fact I still play GW1 from time to time because of how fond I am of the game and the times that I had. A lot of GW1 vets and people who have never even played the game who know how hard HoM was to fill agree that it’s worth the rewards we have gotten for them (especially since they usually took 5,000+ hours to get above 30).

Even since before GW2 was released, ANet promised extra incentives to those who carry their accounts over from the first game to the second. I’m very surprised players are acting shocked over this now.

They’re complaining now because it affects their spot on a useless leaderboard because a few people who bumped up in rank had spent 1000s of hours in GW1 and they don’t think they should be rewarded for that even though ANet, since before GW2 launched, said they would be.

Once again, and before I leave the thread and just enjoy the game, ArenaNet has made it very clear that they would be rewarding GW1 vets in GW2. We knew this before we knew which professions would be in GW2.

Not sure what else to say that I haven’t already said. Maybe stop trying to remove the achievements of others because you’re jealous or upset that they have stuff you don’t. I don’t have a legendary, I just don’t see it worth the time or money investment (not to mention RNG with a precursor) but I don’t go around heckling everyone with a legendary.

The achievement leaderboards are useless and if they suddenly removed or reset them, you’d have no problem with HoM. The issue isn’t with HoM it’s with the leaderboards, so stop trying to remove achievements of others simply because you don’t have them.

(edited by TehPwnerer.7215)

ArchonWing.9480

It’s hard to look at the leaderboard as being competitive because it is all time based. Congratulations, you play 16 hours a day. It is not skill based at all, it just shows who has the most time available. Of course, there is a bit of other things involved, like who can optimize their time best, but that can easily be overridden by others with more time.

I know, I know. I can’t take it seriously either.

However, since people are crying over it, let’s humor them with simple solutions to a non-issue.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Mystic.5934

Isolated. can you play GW1 from GW2? can you play GW2 from GW1? How are they connected at all? sure: similar theme / setting / characters / style / company that made it, but you can’t do anything in GW2 that affects your experience in GW1. visa versa used to be the case.
This is the final nail in the achievements-are-meaningless coffin. Trouble is, achievements now give rewards, which raises this from an ignorable bug in the game to an issue.

I have a friend who I would compete with for achievement point earning. It’s no longer a competition when someone gets handed the victory on a HoM-engraved silver platter.

TehPwnerer.7215

However, since people are crying over it, let’s humor them with simple solutions to a non-issue.

What’s more laughable than the achievement leaderboard? The people who complain about when they lose their spot on said leaderboard.

TehPwnerer.7215

Isolated. can you play GW1 from GW2? can you play GW2 from GW1? How are they connected at all? sure: similar theme / setting / characters / style / company that made it, but you can’t do anything in GW2 that affects your experience in GW1. visa versa used to be the case.
This is the final nail in the achievements-are-meaningless coffin. Trouble is, achievements now give rewards, which raises this from an ignorable bug in the game to an issue.

I have a friend who I would compete with for achievement point earning. It’s no longer a competition when someone gets handed the victory on a HoM-engraved silver platter.

Once again. Before we knew that Mesmers were a returning profession to the game, we knew that Anet was going to reward HoM awards in GW2. That was basically the purpose of HoM. I’m not sure why or how you never got that memo, but before ANY of the betas and before all of the professions were announced, we knew this fact.

Posted by: Tears.5627

Tears.5627

Once again. Before we knew that Mesmers were a returning profession to the game, we knew that Anet was going to reward HoM awards in GW2. That was basically the purpose of HoM. I’m not sure why or how you never got that memo, but before ANY of the betas and before all of the professions were announced, we knew this fact.

We knew before the release of GW:EN even thanks to Gaile and The Frog. =)

Running Axe on Necro since April 27th, 2012 (Before it was cool)

(edited by Tears.5627)

Mystic.5934

I am a long time GW1 player (2005-2013).

Despite that, perhaps even because of it, I tend to agree with those opposed to large sums of APs being awarded in GW2 for GW1 achievements.

I fully support the idea of rewards for those, such as myself, who pursued HOM titles specifically because we were told they would provide us with titles, cosmetic options, pets, etc in GW2. These unique rewards were promised and delivered upon. They provide us with a link between our time spent in GW1 and our characters in GW2.

Having those rewards provide an advantage in any form of competition in GW2 cheapens both the GW1 rewards as well as the GW2 AP competition.

The rewards themselves are cheapened because they now go beyond the spirit of a thank you from the company whose game we devoted so many hours playing and instead have retroactively tainted a friendly competition in this game.

The GW2 AP competition is cheapened because success is now influenced by money spent in another game. Any time a referee of a competition tells a competitor, “hey, thanks for that cash you slipped me, I’m just going to let you win,” the spirit of the competition is ruined.

yeah, I just found out about this earlier in the thread. achievement points was the wrong way to go about rewarding vets. how about a title or similar instead? cosmetic rewards!

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Dude…it was never a competition. If a few people thought it was they need a reality check.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

TehPwnerer.7215

What friendly competition are you speaking of? The achievement (read: elitism) leaderboard that is causing strife because players are rewarded for being loyal? Yeah that’s some friendly competition there.

Friendly competition is where people don’t care who wins or loses – they do it for the fun and the rush of competing. When someone tries to take away from others in a competition, it’s no longer friendly.

Stick to your guns. You’re either for friendly competition or you’re for the removal of HoM achievement points. Can’t be both because they directly contradict each other.

nahla.7138

You can just not count HoM points between you and your friend?

I need a good guild. Q_Q

Mystic.5934

O.o reverting HoM achievement points is what provides the friendly competition.
It’s not a competition if someone is so far out in front there is no way to catch up.
the fact that dailies also aggravate this already made the leaderboard useless the moment they put it up.

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

The only thing I really wanted carried over from GW1 was my divine aura. The small amount of AP was a nice bonus though.

At the end of the day, it’s only a few egomaniacs QQing about losing a few spots on the leaderboards. A vocal minority that is steeped in selfishness and envy. If they stop playing because they lost a couple places, good riddance.

(edited by Firebaall.5127)

Posted by: Kenjo.9651

Kenjo.9651

So I was lurking last night and this thread caught my eye. I read it and had a good chuckle. Came back read some more and had another good chuckle. Hopped on TS told my friends, we all had a good chuckle.

Seriously, you guys are crying over Achievement Points? Really?!? Something so insignificant that doesn’t say anything about player skill what so ever you have the nerve to complain about it because, “boo hoo my place on the leaderboard got taken”? That leader board says nothing about you the player other than how much more free time you put into the game, that’s it.

So GW1 vets get an extra 500 APs. So what? If you want them so badly then go buy GW1 and get it yourself. I’m sure you can get a bundle with all four games for $60 now, which is mad cheap. And don’t give me that BS argument that GW1 and GW2 AP’s should be exclusive to each individual game. GW1 and GW2 were to be linked games since before release. Furthermore, if you are going to talk about what’s unfair, it certainly isn’t the 500 extra AP’s but rather the temporary Living story AP’s. The difference between the two is that GW1 AP’s are always obtainable and LS AP’s are temporary and never can be obtained again. So if you’re going to kitten about what AP’s aren’t fair it’s those.

On a final note I’m sure the boost in GW1 AP rewards was to give the vets an extra AP chest, that’s it. The fact that it stirred up complaints over the leaderboards was probably unintentional. If this really bothers you to the core so much then I really feel sorry for you that your lives aren’t exciting enough that all you have to look forward to is some silly AP’s on a video game. That being said there is a simple fix to all of this. Either get rid of the leaderboards, or reset them. Simple. Children these days!

Posted by: Torpian.9142

Torpian.9142

If Anet make GW1 free to everyone with a GW2 account, then they can keep the achievement as it is. If players have to buy GW1 then they should drop the AP reward.

I played EQ2 for years and SOE never tied any part of EQ1 to EQ2.

Wardens of Myth, Tarnished Coast

nahla.7138

I played EQ2 for years and SOE never tied any part of EQ1 to EQ2.

This isn’t EQ. GW2 was always tied to GW1.

I need a good guild. Q_Q

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

Guys… what you don’t realize is that achievement points are serious business to those who care. I used to lord over my girlfriend that I had more AP than her, and every day I logged in and saw I had more AP, I felt better about myself. Fast forward to the change, which allowed my girlfriend to leapfrog me in AP. I know this is stupid, but now that she has more AP, I feel like less of a man and it has definitely affected my performance in, well, you know. Please change it back; [kitten] is a lot more real than you think.

(dripping sarcasm)

Seriously though, the good news is the number of people who care about the leaderboard is a very, very small segment of the GW2 population. Subtract from that the people who benefited from the change because they played GW1, as well as those who aren’t anal retentive about this sort of thing (or have already figured out that maintaining their leaderboard rank through the monotonous and unforgiving task of collecting every single daily point every single day for the next seven or more foreseeable years of their lives is not the way they wish to live), and that number becomes even smaller. To put it in perspective, there are probably magnitudes more people who are frustrated that the tooltip (or the effect) for Sigil of Blood still hasn’t been fixed. Just leave the thread alone and it will eventually die out.

[mod edit: removed swear filter circumvention text]

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: BuD.7851

BuD.7851

Its not like you cant go & earn them like everyone else did.

You cannot ride a dead horse, mate.

It’s not dead, go fire up GW1 & go earn yourself those 500 AP.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

Many things were promised to those of us in GW1 that would happen in GW2. We worked hard in that game to get the benefits we have in GW2. When I originally saw that we only got a total of 20 points for all of that hard work, I was completely flabbergasted.

Move forward to our 500 points (or 450 in my case). They are points well deserved.

If you go by much of the weird logic in this thread, then I shouldn’t have to grind away at jumping puzzles to get those achievements and points because it rewards people with better manual dexterity than I have. Also, achievement points shouldn’t be rewarded to PvP and WvWvW players because I shouldn’t have to compete against other players for achievement points. Both points are ridiculous because they are both part of the game, just as the HoM points and achievements are. The game is what it is. I for one, accept it and move on.

It baffles me that there is always some ‘perceived’ inequity with anything done in this game. Proof that you cannot make everyone happy.

ArchonWing.9480

What’s more laughable than the achievement leaderboard? The people who complain about when they lose their spot on said leaderboard.

My thought was that Anet intended it to be fluff. (Achievement points in any game I’ve played in tend to be fluff, for the most part) It’s more like. “Hey, I got these points! I’m over there on the boards.” It allows for some chatter. Considering the indefinite, disorganized approach and lack of points balance, that seems to be the case.

Unfortunately, it seems like people take things too seriously. Then again, people have complained about meaningless mini games and random commander tags in PvE, and I’m sure if you moved a tree in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere someone would go on some rant about how Anet sucks and they’re leaving.

:(

Really now. I can’t even keep my achievement tracking visible due to all the clutter popping up and suddenly the greatest issue of the game is A-net showing some thanks to their long time supporters? What? Deal with it!

Posted by: Stefanos.1673

Stefanos.1673

Let me get this straight… People are complaining about a month’s woth of dailies and a monthly. Saying that the people who have shed tears and sweat on the developers’ previous game get APs they do not deserve.
Geez, if people knew what it got to max out the HoM, which from the start was created to gain rewards in GW2, they would probably award some GW1 players medals in REAL life…

Posted by: Stefanos.1673

Stefanos.1673

My thought was that Anet intended it to be fluff. (Achievement points in any game I’ve played in tend to be fluff, for the most part) It’s more like. “Hey, I got these points! I’m over there on the boards.” It allows for some chatter. Considering the indefinite, disorganized approach and lack of points balance, that seems to be the case.

Unfortunately, it seems like people take things too seriously. Then again, people have complained about meaningless mini games and random commander tags in PvE, and I’m sure if you moved a tree in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere someone would go on some rant about how Anet sucks and they’re leaving.

:(

Really now. I can’t even keep my achievement tracking visible due to all the clutter popping up and suddenly the greatest issue of the game is A-net showing some thanks to their long time supporters? What? Deal with it!

I haven’t seen such a decent post in these forums for ages…

Posted by: Curuglas.1847

Curuglas.1847

I already tried playing GW1, and the game is quite dead. But there is a living successor to GW1, you might have heard of it? GW2?

And those of you who think they are the same game, well, what do you have to do in GW2 to get any bonus in GW1? If there are such things, then maybe you have the same game and they are linked. If not, they are two separate games, and GW1 players really got their fancy titles, skins, etc. as a well earned compensation. But, in GW2 they achieved nothing within GW2, so there should be no achievement points awarded there.

One sad truth about this is, that those players with a high AP count (those that usually care about those points), are also some of the most active and (thus) maybe for ANet among the most profitable players. The shame on losing these players would be on those greedy, selfish and arrogant GW1 players who were not satisfied with having played a good game and being rewarded but think they deserve more and even more free rewards in GW2 just because they spent a lot of time in GW1 already.

If ANet feels the GW1 players needs more rewards, well, send those deserving a chest by mail, but keep the past out of the present game.

Posted by: kai.4629

kai.4629

So I was lurking last night and this thread caught my eye. I read it and had a good chuckle. Came back read some more and had another good chuckle. Hopped on TS told my friends, we all had a good chuckle.

Seriously, you guys are crying over Achievement Points? Really?!? Something so insignificant that doesn’t say anything about player skill what so ever you have the nerve to complain about it because, “boo hoo my place on the leaderboard got taken”? That leader board says nothing about you the player other than how much more free time you put into the game, that’s it.

So GW1 vets get an extra 500 APs. So what? If you want them so badly then go buy GW1 and get it yourself. I’m sure you can get a bundle with all four games for $60 now, which is mad cheap. And don’t give me that BS argument that GW1 and GW2 AP’s should be exclusive to each individual game. GW1 and GW2 were to be linked games since before release. Furthermore, if you are going to talk about what’s unfair, it certainly isn’t the 500 extra AP’s but rather the temporary Living story AP’s. The difference between the two is that GW1 AP’s are always obtainable and LS AP’s are temporary and never can be obtained again. So if you’re going to kitten about what AP’s aren’t fair it’s those.

On a final note I’m sure the boost in GW1 AP rewards was to give the vets an extra AP chest, that’s it. The fact that it stirred up complaints over the leaderboards was probably unintentional. If this really bothers you to the core so much then I really feel sorry for you that your lives aren’t exciting enough that all you have to look forward to is some silly AP’s on a video game. That being said there is a simple fix to all of this. Either get rid of the leaderboards, or reset them. Simple. Children these days!

let them QQ. this thread is pure gold for most of us.

Mystic.5934

You can just not count HoM points between you and your friend?

So your solution is to invalidate everyone’s achievements who got this boost? Why is this something anyone would want? “oh look, they have a lot of achievement points, kudos! Ohhhh… you played GW1, that explains it. My mistake.”
Things like this are important to those that find it important. If you don’t, stop trying to hate just for giggles. Personally, I find GW2’s achievement leaderboard unimportant, but this change was unfair, and it’s important to be fair.
Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages is an example of a linked game (pun a happy coincidence).

(edited by Mystic.5934)

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Seems fair to me, it takes about 1000 hours of normal play to get those 500 points.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

I already tried playing GW1, and the game is quite dead. But there is a living successor to GW1, you might have heard of it? GW2?

And those of you who think they are the same game, well, what do you have to do in GW2 to get any bonus in GW1? If there are such things, then maybe you have the same game and they are linked. If not, they are two separate games, and GW1 players really got their fancy titles, skins, etc. as a well earned compensation. But, in GW2 they achieved nothing within GW2, so there should be no achievement points awarded there.

One sad truth about this is, that those players with a high AP count (those that usually care about those points), are also some of the most active and (thus) maybe for ANet among the most profitable players. The shame on losing these players would be on those greedy, selfish and arrogant GW1 players who were not satisfied with having played a good game and being rewarded but think they deserve more and even more free rewards in GW2 just because they spent a lot of time in GW1 already.

If ANet feels the GW1 players needs more rewards, well, send those deserving a chest by mail, but keep the past out of the present game.

What a ridiculous comment. We didn’t ask for the point increase. If anyone is arrogant it’s the non-GW1 players who have been whining constantly since the start of the game, because those who spent years, and thousands of hours were rewarded for their loyalty, and those who only just arrived start crying ‘UNFAIR, WHY THEY GET SKINS AND TITLES BUT NOT US.’

If people are so traumatized over this update, they seriously…. seriously… need to rethink where they’re heading in life. The bonus achievement points didn’t cause a hassle before. Now why does it cause one? Because someone beat you on the AP LEADERBOARD (I laugh every time I see this). If you want to get real competitive there is PvP. There are more important issues in the game than complaining about LOYAL players being REWARDED.

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Mystic.5934

Seems fair to me, it takes about 1000 hours of normal play to get those 500 points.

except I can’t play 1000 hours of GW2 to get 500 GW2 achievements.

Malediktus.9250

except I can’t play 1000 hours of GW2 to get 500 GW2 achievements.

but noone stops you from buying GW1 and spend 1000 hours there

Posted by: paddywack.6281

paddywack.6281

I will never be in the top 10. Improbable I will make it into the top 100. Doubtful I’ll even make it into the 500 range. I contented myself with being around 750 because it got me on the front page of my server and the top of my guild. Currently, I am about to drop off the top 1000.

Why do I bother with the leader boards? Why do I care? I never did with the achievement points in games like WoW or through the Xbox. I wholly realize that in the grand scheme of things, achievements don’t matter beyond access to mostly cosmetic perks.

GW2 is the first game in a while that has interested me enough to dive into as many experiences as possible, from temporary content to PVE and PVP or WvW. I enjoy the game as a whole and my score is (to me) indicative of that enjoyment and the effort I put into this great world Anet has crafted. These points may not show my actual skill, but they do emphasize my willingness to play this game. Thus, that makes the AP metric important to me and why having this change is disheartening.

GW1 players certainly spent a vast amount of time to earn those feats that allowed them to max the HoM. I do not want to detract from their work, effort or loyalty because without such, we might not have GW2. However, on my end, I do not want to play GW1 in order to catch up, nor should I have to. Don’t get me wrong. I love checking out GW wiki and reading lore articles or comparing a past skill to how it is implemented in the present game. However, GW1 is a different gaming experience and not one I signed on for when I purchased GW2.

I don’t typically post. Not my thing. However, this issue disturbed me enough that I wanted to share my opinion. I am competitive with achievements in the limited way that I can. I don’t know 9K+ AP players, so I compare my gaming to those around me. Having that effort wiped in a day is frustrating.

On the opposite end, taking away those 500 AP points is not the way to go and would just create a whole new conflict between these two polarized sides. It’s been mentioned before, but would a compromise be considered: Separate out the HoM points from the official leader boards.

At the least, could a dev officially post in regards to this issue so that it can be laid to rest one way or the other?

Mystic.5934

dude, it’s not “can it be done”. of course it can be done! the point is should it need to be done. that sort of argument could also be used for “send us a video of you doing a back flip off your roof for us to use in a cutscene and we’ll give you 1000 achievement points”

Malediktus.9250

yes it should be done because GW1 is part from GW2, they announced it years ago.

Mystic.5934

what was even required to get HoM achievements in GW1? is there any reason that same thing couldn’t be done in GW2? play GW1, get them when you start. if not, get them after doing them in GW2.
Or why not have these HoM rewards have associated titles or unique item skins? something cosmetic.

(edited by Mystic.5934)

Posted by: Divania.6538

Divania.6538

Hey ^^
Even as a player who went down from 16th to 80th in the EU leaderboard with the patch, I definitely agree that the time other players spent in GW1 is something that was “achieved” and deserves recognition. So these rewards DO seem fit to me.

However, what I don’t agree with is the fact of changing it after all this time. If it was like this at the beginning, many players I know including myself would never have spent all this to earn points in the first place. Hundreds (if not thousands) of euros or dollars spent on the gemstore, as well as expensive internet connections during holiday travels to do dailies, could have avoided for many people on my contact list.
People on top of the list either had A LOT of play time or A LOT of real money to spend. Most of the people from the first category spent a lot of time on GW1 and didn’t get affected, however most people in the second category were too busy at the time of GW1 to climb the social ladder to have money to spend today on GW2.

As I said, I do agree that time spent supporting guild wars should be compensated. But will this small change have even the slightest impact on encouraging new players to join GW2 ? People who don’t play GW2 today won’t care about a few hundred achieve points. On the other hand, a small handful of players who hadn’t played GW1 and spent thousands of real money to stay high on points now have no other option but to change games to a new game where they can stay in the top (from what players said, buying GW1 and achieving 50 HoM points NOW is nearly impossible).

For the community, it’s a good move to reward ancient players. Economically, no new incomes but some of the biggest spenders leaving….
Why not offer HoM point upgrades for great amounts of gems? People who spent hours on GW1 will have bonuses for free. People who didn’t have time to play at that time will have to pay real money to compensate, but at least they will have a chance (3000 gems for every 5 points ? Sure I’d buy it today, and I know a big bunch of other people who would).

(edited by Divania.6538)

Malediktus.9250

what was even required to get HoM achievements in GW1? is there any reason that same thing couldn’t be done in GW2? play GW1, get them when you start. if not, get them after doing them in GW2.
Or why not have these HoM rewards have associated titles or unique item skins? something cosmetic.

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=main&details=I6DAA8%2F%2F%2F%2FD47%2F%2F73j%2FHA8%2FDAIKAAAAAgUgIQAAAAAA