500 AP for GW1 Hall of Monuments Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tears.5627

Tears.5627

Its not like you cant go & earn them like everyone else did.

You cannot ride a dead horse, mate.

It’s not dead, go fire up GW1 & go earn yourself those 500 AP.

The shame on losing these players would be on those greedy, selfish and arrogant GW1 players who were not satisfied with having played a good game and being rewarded but think they deserve more and even more free rewards in GW2 just because they spent a lot of time in GW1 already.

And it is not greedy, selfish, and arrogant how people are complaining that the people who made it possible for GW2 to even be made should have AP returned back to a pathetic 2 points per tier? I bought everything extra in gw1 including preorders and costumes and over the span of that game spent a good $400. This is the same for EVERYONE who bothered spending the time getting 50/50 HoM points.

Running Axe on Necro since April 27th, 2012 (Before it was cool)

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

6 years playing GW1 and I get 500 points, less than a year playing GW2 and I get over 4,000 points. I don’t see the problem here. And really, Leaderboards? Are you kidding me or are you 12?

Posted by: Crimsony.2514

Crimsony.2514

what was even required to get HoM achievements in GW1? is there any reason that same thing couldn’t be done in GW2? play GW1, get them when you start. if not, get them after doing them in GW2.
Or why not have these HoM rewards have associated titles or unique item skins? something cosmetic.

It could not be done in GW2.

They are completely different games (there aren’t even analogues for hero armor and most of the titles), the rewards were already advertised as exclusive,

And it would be next to impossible to balance in such a way that there was comparable difficulty in both games. For instance food and drink titles in GW1 are some of the most expensive titles in the game, whereas in GW2 food and drink is much much cheaper.

Not to mention they’ve already advertised the rewards as exclusive.

HoM rewards already have unique item skins and titles. It’s exceedingly unlikely they’ll add any more to this in the future as it makes more sense to focus on GW2 players.

(edited by Crimsony.2514)

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

I bought everything extra in gw1 including preorders and costumes and over the span of that game spent a good $400. This is the same for EVERYONE who bothered spending the time getting 50/50 HoM points.

No, I just bought GW, Factions, Nightfall and EoTN for reduced prices. I’ll never take off my Champion of the Gods title (unless I get GWAMM).

Thanks for the bonus chest ArenaNET,

to those seriously thinking that the achievement points is the true measure of skill in this game, you made me laugh out loud.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Posted by: Tears.5627

Tears.5627

I bought everything extra in gw1 including preorders and costumes and over the span of that game spent a good $400. This is the same for EVERYONE who bothered spending the time getting 50/50 HoM points.

No, I just bought GW, Factions, Nightfall and EoTN for reduced prices. I’ll never take off my Champion of the Gods title (unless I get GWAMM).

to those seriously thinking that the achievement points is the true measure of skill in this game, you made me laugh out loud.

All of them come down to time and dedication. That is why I am happy to have the extra points. The reason I spent so much was I played from beginning to end with all collectors edition items and in game costumes, bonus missions, etc.

Running Axe on Necro since April 27th, 2012 (Before it was cool)

Posted by: Resonance.4216

Resonance.4216

All of them come down to time and dedication. That is why I am happy to have the extra points.

Time and dedication? After you have a reasonable number of points, you can advance by 19 a day.

OH GOD, SO AWSOME PROGRESSION.

Seriously, people are grinding numbers to make a bar 99% of the game population doesn’t care about, to be the top 3 in a list that only a tiny fraction of people care about.

Elementalist of Oceanix [OCX]
http://www.oceanix.com.au

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Guys… what you don’t realize is that achievement points are serious business to those who care. I used to lord over my girlfriend that I had more AP than her, and every day I logged in and saw I had more AP, I felt better about myself. Fast forward to the change, which allowed my girlfriend to leapfrog me in AP. I know this is stupid, but now that she has more AP, I feel like less of a man and it has definitely affected my performance in, well, you know. Please change it back; e-(holy filters)-peen is a lot more real than you think.

I actually thought you were serious LOL

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: McDili.1549

McDili.1549

“Competitive AP Score”

LOL

Posted by: r z.7261

r z.7261

The rage over a number.

All of you have lost your kitten minds.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

These achievements are now giving 50 AP per completed achievement instead of the previous 2, is this a bug or working as intended.

Personally i think these should not reward any AP at all, (just titles + perks) as i feel i shouldn’t be forced to play GW1 to remain highscore competitive on GW2.

working as intended.

as a matter of factually , achievement points is not competitive.

Posted by: CrassBippy.4619

CrassBippy.4619

You do understand no one even looks at the achievement leader boards besides the people on it + their mothers right?

Bi Furious [Fist] YB

Posted by: Pixelninja.6971

Pixelninja.6971

500 Points for the 50/50 HOM-achievement is nothing. I played well over 4000 Hours of GW1 and only got to 45/50, because the grind required for 50/50 achievement is the most tedius thing you could imagine. In GW2 i already have 5000 Points without really caring about AP.

Like someone already said, if you want the 500 points so badly you can still get them, play gw1 or buy an 50/50 GW1 account. But people can never get back the points they missed from the living story and daily quests.

You should be happy that you are out of the ratrace and can play the game just for fun and do other things without worrying about a meaningless leaderboard.

(edited by Pixelninja.6971)

Posted by: Azraeel.1238

Azraeel.1238

lol, I love how all those that are defending this, already played GW1, and benefited from the extra AP.

Again, you didn’t achieve any of the given “500 AP” in GUILD WARS 2. If they wanted to reward you more than just titles and skins, they should have came up with something other than AP.

Oh and I bet many, who never played GW1, paid more real life money in GW2 than those who did.

80 Necromancer (Main) | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 80 Warrior
Engineer and Elementalist in progress…

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

lol, I love how all those that are defending this, already played GW1, and benefited from the extra AP.

Again, you didn’t achieve any of the given “500 AP” in GUILD WARS 2. If they wanted to reward you more than just titles and skins, they should have came up with something other than AP.

Oh and I bet many, who never played GW1, paid more real life money in GW2 than those who did.

Oh I wouldn’t be so sure about that. There were not only expansions but also things like here such as extra char slots, bank space, vanity items as well as other stuff not here yet such as extra missions (quests) etc.

Either or that really does not bring anything to this discussion.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Why would you bet that? It’s a strange statement to make. Are you implying Guild Wars 1 players are cheaper than non-guild wars 1 players?

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

What is this?

1. “Competitive AP Score”? You play the game to enjoy yourself, why does your PERSONAL AP number have to be higher than another persons? That’s a serious case of “my willy is bigger than yours!” The 500 AP just helps GW1 players get their rewards a bit faster.

2. 50/50 HoM took some serious time….and in some cases lots of plat…they deserve that, Achievements were not as easy as GW2’s “Witness Fireworks at X time”….it was usually 9 ranks of something EXTREMELY grindy

3. No one cares what your personal AP score is but yourself. I might see someone with over 10k right now and think “Hmm, impressive” but then i go about my life and couldn’t even tell you what the person’s in game name is.

4. If your so AP “competitive”, then you would LOVE the opportunity to have EVEN MORE achievements to pursue by getting GW1 and having even more game content to play! COMPETITION TO THE EXTREME!!!

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

I played Guild wars 1 since launch and to get 50/50 (i didn’t, got only 46) was hell and you had to play only dedicating yourself to that.
What people don’t understand is that this game is called GUILD WARS 2, not “NEW GAME 1” so it’s totally normal that fans of Anet that played the 1, get a little reward in the 2.
You don’t wanna play GW1? Well, you didn’t bought the game+expansion and you simply don’t deserve this reward. You didn’t played tons of hours on GW1, you don’t deserve it again.
Really, what’s the problem folks.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Be careful, you might get surprised. Former GW1 players were for the most part the most dedicated core of GW2 players. There’s a reason why most of people in top 1000 got that ap boost.

Besides, blowing a wad of cash on RNG boxes and then ragequitting due to (predictably) not getting a ticket doesn’t really mean anything.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Curuglas.1847

Curuglas.1847

What people don’t understand is that this game is called GUILD WARS 2, not “NEW GAME 1” so it’s totally normal that fans of Anet that played the 1, get a little reward in the 2.

You simply don’t get it. Is there anything, anything at all, you do in GW2 that affects your game in GW1? If not, then GW2 is a different and new game that only basically shares a theme with its predecessor.

You don’t wanna play GW1? Well, you didn’t bought the game+expansion and you simply don’t deserve this reward. You didn’t played tons of hours on GW1, you don’t deserve it again.

I bought GW1+GW2, but only want to play GW2 since GW2 simply has a far better game mechanic and interface. If you can show me how to achieve the 50/50 HoM through the GW2 interface only, then there is a reason for those points being rewarded in GW2 – if not, there is no reason at all for GW1 players to get any free achievement points in GW2, since they did not achieve those in GW2!
They already got their “loyalty” rewards! But instead of being grateful they already got stuff to show that no GW2-only player can display, some even claim that having spent time in the past playing another game entitles them for even more and more free rewards. Pure greed – disgusting!

ANet should really change the AP system, even though I am repeating myself:
- No AP for HoM
- Max cap for daily monthly (like Hobby Dungeon Explorer and Agent of entropy)
- re-open historical stories in private instances for new players to both follow the story and get the missed AP

Posted by: Amria.2461

Amria.2461

These achievements are now giving 50 AP per completed achievement instead of the previous 2, is this a bug or working as intended.

Personally i think these should not reward any AP at all, (just titles + perks) as i feel i shouldn’t be forced to play GW1 to remain highscore competitive on GW2.

It seems unlikely to me that they boosted the AP reward for 10 different achievements by accident.

As for the fact that you can’t remain competitive on that all-important list without these achievements, well then it sucks to be you, because its even more unlikely that they are going to remove these achievements that they decided to give their most dedicated fans long before this game even came out.

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

You simply don’t get it. Is there anything, anything at all, you do in GW2 that affects your game in GW1? If not, then GW2 is a different and new game that only basically shares a theme with its predecessor.

I bought GW1+GW2, but only want to play GW2 since GW2 simply has a far better game mechanic and interface. If you can show me how to achieve the 50/50 HoM through the GW2 interface only, then there is a reason for those points being rewarded in GW2 – if not, there is no reason at all for GW1 players to get any free achievement points in GW2, since they did not achieve those in GW2!
They already got their “loyalty” rewards! But instead of being grateful they already got stuff to show that no GW2-only player can display, some even claim that having spent time in the past playing another game entitles them for even more and more free rewards. Pure greed – disgusting!

ANet should really change the AP system, even though I am repeating myself:
- No AP for HoM
- Max cap for daily monthly (like Hobby Dungeon Explorer and Agent of entropy)
- re-open historical stories in private instances for new players to both follow the story and get the missed AP

Why this thing came out now? Because AP rewards. You didn’t get any of the title from HOM completition and in GW2, you cannot have them at all. You get them only with GW1 Hom. But now, it’s the day to whiiiiiiiiiineeeeeeeeeeeeee!
I don’t have to play a “2nd game” to get achievement for the “1st one” it’s simply ridiculous XD It’s like I color my hair red because I wanted to be redhead in a photo when I was 6 years old. You know you’re saying things that don’t work at all. Otherwise it’s normal that Anet permits players to work in GW1 for getting some special skin items, achievements, title for GW2.

Anyway I simply cannot understand why if “it’s the same, if you cannot have a high percentage of AP without HOM you dont deserve it” doesnt work “au contraire”

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

To those who played GW1 (any of you, not just the people who grinded out 50/50 HoM points): thank you. Without you, there wouldn’t be a GW2.

To those who say there would be, no, there wouldn’t. GW2 is a SEQUEL, which very much necessitates the existence of a prequel. So, though ANet may well have released an MMO, it would not have been the GW2 we love and play today (or hate and still play for whatever reason, no idea why).

So, thank you to the GW1 players, and thanks to ANet. I love this game and I previously scorned the very notion of MMOs.

I don’t care how many AP anyone has – they don’t mean anything. It’s nice that we get some small rewards for certain milestones now, but since all that requires is time spent in the game, everyone will get where they want to be sooner or later.

GW1 players, I hope you enjoy your prizes in the HoM (I think they’re AWESOME skins ankitten aturally jealous but NOT begrudging at all, lol), and I hope also that you enjoy the extra AP for whatever they’re worth.

Posted by: Serendipity.8326

Serendipity.8326

It’s hilarious that people keep saying that AP are meaningless, yet in the same post they defend the AP increase. And that they call achievement hunters elitists, when these GW1 veterans are the ones exhibiting elitism themselves.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Why would you bet that? It’s a strange statement to make. Are you implying Guild Wars 1 players are cheaper than non-guild wars 1 players?

No Vayne, it’s an statement based on the general satisfaction of the GW1 players on the forums… If you seek GW1 in the forum you read mostly how GW2 is not GW1 and how they will not invest in GW2 due to that fact… The sad truth is that the GW1 ported community are elitists who don’t actually see how unfair to the players that didn’t played GW1 this measure is.

I’m not by any way despising their work on GW1, but it’s already been ported in the form of cosmetics. It should always be that way. GW2 is not GW1, and neither should hand any numerical advantage of somesort! It’s clearly unfair to the players that played other games instead of GW1.

It’s hilarious that people keep saying that AP are meaningless, yet in the same post they defend the AP increase. And that they call achievement hunters elitists, when these GW1 veterans are the ones exhibiting elitism themselves.

^ This i agree. I also don’t care about my AP, but i can understand if some players want to be competitive in that way. Any form of numeric increase over time will always make competitiveness, although trivial it may seem! So what right have we to make it less important than other goals?

For me Ap from HoM shoud be = 0
Give them capes, give them kittens, give them more skins, i don’t care at all! It should be more than enough of a reward! If that isn’t enough for you, your not a loyal fan, but a plain beggar!

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Having any type of rewards from HoM means you actually worked hard for it. So in turn, you are indeed deserving of extra points. Gw2 is connected to GW1 in terms of lore. Makes perfect sense for your current character to enjoy some love from the past.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Vayne.8563

No Vayne, it’s an statement based on the general satisfaction of the GW1 players on the forums… If you seek GW1 in the forum you read mostly how GW2 is not GW1 and how they will not invest in GW2 due to that fact… The sad truth is that the GW1 ported community are elitists who don’t actually see how unfair to the players that didn’t played GW1 this measure is.

I’m not by any way despising their work on GW1, but it’s already been ported in the form of cosmetics. It should always be that way. GW2 is not GW1, and neither should hand any numerical advantage of somesort! It’s clearly unfair to the players that played other games instead of GW1.

^ This i agree. I also don’t care about my AP, but i can understand if some players want to be competitive in that way. Any form of numeric increase over time will always make competitiveness, although trivial it may seem! So what right have we to make it less important than other goals?

For me Ap from HoM shoud be = 0
Give them capes, give them kittens, give them more skins, i don’t care at all! It should be more than enough of a reward! If that isn’t enough for you, your not a loyal fan, but a plain beggar!

/cheers

It’s not relevant that most Guild Wars 1 players on the forums are dissatisfied with Guild Wars 2…because most players on the forums are here to express their disatisfaction. More to the point there are tons of people walking around wearing their GWAMM title.

There are a hundred people in my guild and about half of them have played Guild Wars 1 to different degrees. And they all like Guild Wars 2 as well.

Don’t let the loud vocal segment of the population convince you they’re the majority. They MIGHT be…but I suspect they’re not.

LHound.8964

Having any type of rewards from HoM means you actually worked hard for it. So in turn, you are indeed deserving of extra points. Gw2 is connected to GW1 in terms of lore. Makes perfect sense for your current character to enjoy some love from the past.

I agree that the the GW1 HoM hard work should be rewarded, but never never in a numerical way! Doing this, Anet is in fact setting a handicap for the players that never played GW1.

Love is a funny word. If they are paying 500 AP to you for the “Love”, what makes you ppl? “Loyalty” should be all about pride! Showing how you played GW1 hard = cosmetics!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Vayne.8563

I agree that the the GW1 HoM hard work should be rewarded, but never never in a numerical way! Doing this, Anet is in fact setting a handicap for the players that never played GW1.

Love is a funny word. If they are paying 500 AP to you for the “Love”, what makes you ppl? “Loyalty” should be all about pride! Showing how you played GW1 hard = cosmetics!

Oh I agree. I don’t see why this reward was given…but I’m apparently in the minority.

Posted by: Evgeni.7401

Evgeni.7401

The Try to Reborn GW1 from Ashes WON’T WORK! If u need so much the full points get your game from the black market!

Posted by: Nar.8327

Nar.8327

So by awarding achievement points for living story content, by your definition, Anet would be “setting a handicap” for players just now getting into the game? Well, duh!

The people who jump on the bandwagon early are ALWAYS going to be better off than the latecomers. That’s not a “handicap,” it’s common sense. How quickly you all forget that without the GW1 players making GW1 so successful, there wouldn’t be a GW2.

And if you’re really that upset about 500 achievement points, Anet isn’t locking you out of them. Everyone with those 500 points ponied up and spent money supporting this franchise – if you want the same reward, why shouldn’t you be held to the same standard? Oh, and have fun with that. You’ll learn quickly, if you try, that 50/50 HoM points is a grind quite unlike anything GW2 will ever throw at you.

For the record, I have 35/50, and I put thousands of hours into GW1. I’m not “mad” about those that got 50/50 because I know just how much work and dedication that took. If you want to be competitive, that’s the price you pay.

(edited by Nar.8327)

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

So, what about those players who missed out on the Halloween achievements or the Flame & Frost achievements? Should they start whining too?

The early bird gets the worm. Get over it.

Posted by: Laivine.9308

Laivine.9308

The strange thing everyone who brings this ‘problem’ up seems to assume is: “you played GW1 so you automatically have 500 freeby points”…

Hah! I finished all three campaigns and EotN, plus played a few months extra and I’m not even at 20 out of the 50 HoM points. The people kicking up sand assume it’s all kittens and giggles…

Seriously, GW2 players think they know what grind is. Go grind the insane amount of points you need to get reputation titles. Have a look what it takes to grind the weapons and prestige armors needed. Go battle the hard mode dungeons and the realm of Torment.

If you knew what it takes to get those 500 APs, then you’d understand those players earned it. And to compare the effort to gain the 500 AP from HoM to what it takes to get 500 in this game… it’s a joke.

I got the Drunkard title before you could spam it. That was true grinding. =)

Me too, omg that title!

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

500 points is not really alot, it doesnt get you from the bottom % to the top %, only the hard core achievement point players does it really matter to,

You people sound like your 127,970 ranked spot is doomed to be at 128,837 b.c of of 500 achievement points..

Honestly come on… Unless you have 10k + and did play gw1 and the 3-4 people at 11k did and got the 500 points, then you have something to be mad about.

Those players that did get 500 points, do you TRUELY feel you will get past them within the 1st 2 years of the game? I dont, I can safely say they will be trying for top points for at least 2-3 years if not more, I mean they already did play a game for 7 years without stopping and they do already have just about everything in the game done.

Its not like 500 points matters, Im glad anet gave it to them, BC you know the leaderboards actually effect the game.. wait? NO THEY DONT.

It is just alittle something extra for players to judge how well they are doing and for the hardcore players to have some friendly competition.

SAB or RIOT

Faux.1937

So, what about those players who missed out on the Halloween achievements or the Flame & Frost achievements? Should they start whining too?

The early bird gets the worm. Get over it.

And the other new events that will be coming out every two weeks, dont forget about those QQ’ers

SAB or RIOT

LHound.8964

So by awarding achievement points for living story content, by your definition, Anet would be “setting a handicap” for players just now getting into the game? Well, duh!

The people who jump on the bandwagon early are ALWAYS going to be better off than the latecomers. That’s not a “handicap,” it’s common sense. How quickly you all forget that without the GW1 players making GW1 so successful, there wouldn’t be a GW2.

Earning Achieving Point for actually Playing GW2 is not in the same boat as getting them from an outside source! If you can’t see this, i can’t argue with your logics…

And if you’re really that upset about 500 achievement points, Anet isn’t locking you out of them. Everyone with those 500 points ponied up and spent money supporting this franchise – if you want the same reward, why shouldn’t you be held to the same standard? Oh, and have fun with that. You’ll learn quickly, if you try, that 50/50 HoM points is a grind quite unlike anything GW2 will ever throw at you.

GW2 is not GW1. Why the kitten people insist to bring GW1 into the mix…

For the record, I have 35/50, and I put thousands of hours into GW1. I’m not “mad” about those that got 50/50 because I know just how much work and dedication that took. If you want to be competitive, that’s the price you pay.

Good for you… I have invested a lot of time playing Tetris… should i also be rewarded in that manner?

So by your logic, ArenaNet should have said in the game:
“- Atention: to actually be able to achieve the top points in the leaderboards, you actually have to buy a different game”. Otherwise is a complete false advertising. Whatever you do in GW2 you may not be the nº1!

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

LHound.8964

500 points is not really alot, it doesnt get you from the bottom % to the top %, only the hard core achievement point players does it really matter to,

You people sound like your 127,970 ranked spot is doomed to be at 128,837 b.c of of 500 achievement points..

I have less than 6k AP for what matters. But it’s a matter of principle… If someone that wanted to be nº1 and didn’t play Gw1, he can’t be nº1 because someone who played Gw1 that also wants to be nº1, had achieved things in other games!

Its not like 500 points matters, Im glad anet gave it to them, BC you know the leaderboards actually effect the game.. wait? NO THEY DONT.

It don’t matter to you, but you don’t have the right to speak for those who cares…

And, If they don’t matter, why to give 500 at all. Better to give nothing… Would this be alright for you?

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Faux.1937

“- Atention: to actually be able to achieve the top points in the leaderboards, you actually have to buy a different game”. Otherwise is a complete false advertising. Whatever you do in GW2 you may not be the nº1!

They are the same company GW1 and GW2 both ran by Anet, it is very common in all manners of life to Reward Loyal customers, it doesnt matter if they are 2 different products or not.

Its like a rewards card, or a gas rewards card, or a work place that when you change departments you still keep your seniority.

Those players invested money and time into NOT GW1! But into Anet in the GW franchise.

So the way I see your comment is if I buy a PC at Bestbuy and get a coupon It should only be used in the Computer Department. B.c we both want the new 56" TV and I get it for 250$ less than you did b.c I was a loyal customer, so you yell at the story and call up bestbuy to QQ about it to them saying it isnt far?

Thats how I see people on this forum acting, they are forgetting Anet is a business 1st and will reward their loyal customers more, b.c that is good business.

SAB or RIOT

(edited by Faux.1937)

Faux.1937

I have less than 6k AP for what matters. But it’s a matter of principle… If someone that wanted to be nº1 and didn’t play Gw1, he can’t be nº1 because someone who played Gw1 that also wants to be nº1, had achieved things in other games!

It don’t matter to you, but you don’t have the right to speak for those who cares…

And, If they don’t matter, why to give 500 at all. Better to give nothing… Would this be alright for you?

Yes it would be ok with me, b.c int he end LD is for the players that truely want to see the number 1 spot and have something to brag about.

Thats why I said if the top 10 players didnt play gw1 and the top player did THEN there was a reward given to the TOP player, you know the one that did play gw1 the other 9 now has a right to be angree… there is only the reward of bragging so there is no point to be mad at a little extra amount of points given to a small % of loyal players.

SAB or RIOT

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Are you still whining about this? What do you care if someone else has these points?

Also one of the selling points of the eye of the north expansion in gw1 was rewards in gw2. Everyone knew this.

Geez Anet please revert the points back to the old amount because I am getting pretty sick of these whining kids…

Curuglas.1847

Those players invested money and time into NOT GW1! But into Anet in the GW franchise.

Why does everyone seem to think that by buying and playing GW1 they funded GW2?

At the beginning, a company invested money to program a game, set up servers and pay the maintenance costs (hardware, software, personnel). Then players come in and start paying for the game. Then after a certain amount of players bought the game (and some other stuff) once those investments paid off the company starts making money (companies are about that sort of thing, be assured). But while they get money from their customers they still have to pay their personnel and maintenance, so what you pay there is mainly used for maintaining the current company infrastructure (and some profit, too).

Then after a while their current cash cow is starting to dry up, they start investing money in the next product and the aforementioned cycle starts again.

But… This actually means that only those players who bought GW2 and gems in the GW2 store actually paid for GW2 and made GW2 possible… Surprise!

Vayne.8563

At the beginning, a company invested money to program a game, set up servers and pay the maintenance costs (hardware, software, personnel). Then players come in and start paying for the game. Then after a certain amount of players bought the game (and some other stuff) once those investments paid off the company starts making money (companies are about that sort of thing, be assured). But while they get money from their customers they still have to pay their personnel and maintenance, so what you pay there is mainly used for maintaining the current company infrastructure (and some profit, too).

Then after a while their current cash cow is starting to dry up, they start investing money in the next product and the aforementioned cycle starts again.

But… This actually means that only those players who bought GW2 and gems in the GW2 store actually paid for GW2 and made GW2 possible… Surprise!

Guild Wars 1 was running on pretty much a skeleton crew. The HoM saw a lot of new players buying Guild Wars 1, just to get HoM points. It got busy again. In addition to that, every time costumes were offered in the cash shop, they were pretty much everywhere.

I think you have a very slanted concept on just how many people were playing Guild Wars 1 till pretty much the day Guild Wars 2 came out.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

So you want to slap every gw1 veteran in the face?

Do you know how much I supported pre-release gw2?

I’ve supported the development of gw2 since 2007! Way before the hype and even the dragon logo.

I’ve told everyone I have known about this “awesome upcoming game” in a bunch of other mmo’s from 2007-2012 release. These mmo’s included CoH (rip ), Launch of Aion-2012 Aion, and many others.

To me, these rewards weren’t worth it, but I could care less.

I would gladly trade these AP for other skins like my Rainbow Phoenix or my mini Kunnavang and my Chaos Gloves

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

GW2 wouldn’t exist if there was no GW1……Surprise!

Faux.1937

I never said it funded it, Im just saying they are just trying to remain loyal to long lasting customers and it is good business for them to.

They may had other reasons for doing so (like get more players to GW1) But there could be other reasons besides money.

I love GW1, I love the lore and personally think its a better game over all. And I tell ppl all the time that they should play it to learn more about the game and have a good time, get to see things and lore most would not.

SAB or RIOT

Faux.1937

So you want to slap every gw1 veteran in the face?

Do you know how much I supported pre-release gw2?

I’ve supported the development of gw2 since 2007! Way before the hype and even the dragon logo.

I’ve told everyone I have known about this “awesome upcoming game” in a bunch of other mmo’s from 2007-2012 release. These mmo’s included CoH (rip ), Launch of Aion-2012 Aion, and many others.

To me, these rewards weren’t worth it, but I could care less.

I would gladly trade these AP for other skins like my Rainbow Phoenix or my mini Kunnavang and my Chaos Gloves

Me too, I got at least 20+ people into playing GW2 and even more into GW1, if it wasnt for the GW1 hardcore fans, GW2 release wouldnt been as good.

And if we could get the Rainbow Phoenix I too would trade those in that was the best pet ever!

SAB or RIOT

Curuglas.1847

Oh? You gave them a substantial amount of money? You wrote some GW2 code? Or did you just talk about a game that would eventually exist, if its development fit into the company’s business plan?

Most GW1 veterans just played a game and got what they paid for. They did not put a single dime more into the development of GW2 (which is a completely new product, in business terms) than everyone else who bought GW2.

ANet had the brilliant idea to launch the new product with a link to the old one so their existing customers would most likely transition over to the new product, making the new product much more likely a success, yes.

But this does in no way mean that the GW1 player achieved anything more than a non-GW1 player in GW2. And since those are achievement points, they should only be some measure of how much someone achieved in GW2 compared to other players in GW2 – all other “returning customer bonuses”, like skins, titles, etc. are independent of those points.

And if ANet wants to hand out some more presents (items, gold, boosts), well, by all means give everyone with HoM achievements an appropriate chest by mail containing those presents, but keep the points out of it!

Posted by: Grim.6415

Grim.6415

Would anyone complain if they just took the AP from HoM rewards and only counted it towards the AP rewards but not the leaderboard?

This way the GW1 vets are able to get a little further progress on these relatively trivial AP rewards but the leaderboards remain “competitive” for those that take them seriously.

As someone who has 30/50 HoM this wouldn’t botehr me one bit.

Faux.1937

Oh? You gave them a substantial amount of money? You wrote some GW2 code? Or did you just talk about a game that would eventually exist, if its development fit into the company’s business plan?

Most GW1 veterans just played a game and got what they paid for. They did not put a single dime more into the development of GW2 (which is a completely new product, in business terms) than everyone else who bought GW2.

ANet had the brilliant idea to launch the new product with a link to the old one so their existing customers would most likely transition over to the new product, making the new product much more likely a success, yes.

But this does in no way mean that the GW1 player achieved anything more than a non-GW1 player in GW2. And since those are achievement points, they should only be some measure of how much someone achieved in GW2 compared to other players in GW2 – all other “returning customer bonuses”, like skins, titles, etc. are independent of those points.

And if ANet wants to hand out some more presents (items, gold, boosts), well, by all means give everyone with HoM achievements an appropriate chest by mail containing those presents, but keep the points out of it!

I only read the 1st part and stopped right there, anyone in Business/Marketing knows how Important “Word of mouth” is and would never dismiss it, your lack of knowledge in understand this is unsettling, and makes any of your comments invalid to me.

SAB or RIOT

LHound.8964

Are you still whining about this? What do you care if someone else has these points?

Also one of the selling points of the eye of the north expansion in gw1 was rewards in gw2. Everyone knew this.

Geez Anet please revert the points back to the old amount because I am getting pretty sick of these whining kids…

LOL.

I’m standing by my point of view, different thing from whining. I could be if i really cared about Ap Leaderboard, which i don’t… different story!

Let’s tell again, since the HoM elitism is blinding you:

-No one is saying, that they shouldn’t receive rewards from their hardwork in GW1. I’m saying that the rewards should not be related to Ap whatsoever!

For me HoM could reward:
- Several weapons/armor skins, titles, that were in fact relevant in GW1;
- Special Dyes that have somesort of different color/effect;
- Special relevant GW1 NPC’s mini’s (dragons etc…);
- Special picks, harvest and axes with unlimmited amounts;

For me HoM should NEVER reward:
- AP;
- Gold;
/cheers

Can you understand the difference?

If you don’t have anything valid to say to this discussion, then it’s better to don’t say crap like you have said.

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Earning Achieving Point for actually Playing GW2 is not in the same boat as getting them from an outside source!

For someone that has started playing later, both HoM and old living story content are things he won’t find in the game. The difference? HoM he can actually do still. Living story is inaccessible for him forever.

Good for you… I have invested a lot of time playing Tetris… should i also be rewarded in that manner?

Was that the game developed by the same company? Did the money you invested in it go into GW2 development? Was tetris community actively supporting and advertising for GW2? No? I thought so.

“- Atention: to actually be able to achieve the top points in the leaderboards, you actually have to buy a different game”. Otherwise is a complete false advertising.

Well, they didn’t say that all your ap’s will be acquirable only from gw2. On the other hand, they said that there will be ties between GW1 and GW2, and that GW1 players will get rewards in GW2. Which they did. No false advertising there.

Whatever you do in GW2 you may not be the nº1!

Whatever you do in GW2, if you started late you will never make it to the top of Leaderboards, unless the players there stop playing" has always been true. Leaderboards have never been fair. Or really competitive (see below).

This way the GW1 vets are able to get a little further progress on these relatively trivial AP rewards but the leaderboards remain “competitive” for those that take them seriously

…sorry, they were never seriously competitive in the first place. they have always been “first come, first serve”, and the arbitrary ap values on different achievements have made any comparison moot from the very beginning (just try to compare 200 points from JP’s with 200 points from WvW achieves…).

Not most likely. Without GW1 players GW2 would have flopped even before going live, or at best suffered Aion’s fate (that’s the most optimistic version, mind you). Assuming it would have even been attempted – most likely that project would never have started. It would have been too risky to launch such a big and ambitious project without having support in an already existing immense community many of other MMO’s would envy.
And, of course, there wouldn’t have been enough money for this – remember, GW1 was a much, much smaller game as far as initial investment was concerned.

TL/DR: yes, without GW1 there wouldn’t have been GW2.

And ironically, most of those top leaderboard players that some people seem to defend so zealously, looking at their points were GW1 players with full or almost full HoM. They were already at the top.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)