500 AP for GW1 Hall of Monuments Intended?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firebaall.5127

Firebaall.5127

The people who played GW1 already were given titles like “God amongst whatever”

Yeah, they gave that out like candy. You should go buy GW1, so you can grab it. It’s a free uber title, just waiting for you to take it!

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

These achievements are now giving 50 AP per completed achievement instead of the previous 2, is this a bug or working as intended.

Personally i think these should not reward any AP at all, (just titles + perks) as i feel i shouldn’t be forced to play GW1 to remain highscore competitive on GW2.

Carebear land is not competitive. If you want competitive step into the mists. At first I laughed, then I just felt sorry for you. Nothing about carebear land is competitive, NOTHING.

If Anet gave every care..pve players 10000000 achievement points it wouldn’t matter one little bit. The only difference would be the damage to an unskilled players ego. They lack the skill to play in truly competitive forms of the game, so they must rely on some second rate “competition” that isn’t even based on personal skill.

Main argument aside, what it does have to do with HOM anyway? Or are you here just to insert a bit of “pro” elitism? Also newsflash, people from top of AP leaderboards are doing A LOT of PvP since simply those achievements offered in sPvP will make the difference. I once (a month ago or smth) calculated how much time in sPvP the guy from the 1st place is spending (his win/loss ratio and numbers could be accessed on sPvP leaderboards). It came out that he was spending on average 6-8 hours per day only in sPvP matches and not counting other content. So yeah.

Posted by: denny.8350

denny.8350

Ooh… ANet should give an AP for each GEM bought in the BLTP!!!

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

People will always want what they can’t have. Others who have will defend what they have whether they wanted it in the first place.

All this creates is a massive divide in which people are split between “factions” – might I say whether or not this is warranted.

There have been some interesting points put forward from both sides on this thread, but all I see know is a bunch of people calling each other names. We’ve devolved into “GW1 elitist vets” and “GW2 new entitled players”.

All I read is – on the one hand – people complaining about “new players that ruined OUR game” – what? Whose game? I think it’s ANet’s game, and a lot of the things people don’t like about it were there right from the start – new players didn’t have anything to do with it. A LOT of new players are some of the staunchest defenders of the way GW2 was when it was originally released. Equally, I see a lot of GW1 vets asking for more changes.

And on the other hand I see a bunch of people calling people who played GW1 greedy and selfish, which isn’t fair either. They didn’t ASK for these points to be added to their AP score, but OF COURSE they’re going to defend them to anyone who attacks them.

The level of hostility in this thread has brought out the worst of everyone – and it’s not even about the stupid AP anymore. Everyone’s screaming “I don’t care!” – well, DON’T care then! Stop being horrible to each other, and just let’s end this thread.

Posted by: Nileth.9670

Nileth.9670

Just looked through the last month in “Dev tracker” without finding any answer to the other threads about the achievment reward increase in Hall of Monuments.

Kinda made me frustrated since i’ve always felt like Arenanet looks what we have to say and discuss with us to give us their point of view.

I’m gonna start by saying that i’m NOT against rewarding people for what they did in GW1.
I’ve not read excactly what they get but i know that they have access to some weapon and armor skins, ranger pets and awesome titles already, this is not a problem at all for me.

The problem i find is when you add the possibility of giving them an advantage of 500 points.
This is totally messing up the competition of achievment points, 500 points is ALOT especially at the higher points where you have to grind alot for a few points.
Personally i lost a couple of hundreds ranks because of a game i didnt play earlier.

For me the Achievment point leaderboards is a competition just like the pvp leaderboards, so for me this is as bad as giving people that played GW1 extra rating in TPvP would be for the people competing in that leaderboard.

The result of this in my guild and friends outside the guild has been that some people no longer wants to make their dailies since they feel cheated on, some even dont see any reason to logg in anymore.

Reward them, WITHOUT messing up our leaderboard! And i hope to see an answer from Anet, if not here in some other thread about this issue…

~ Nileht

(edited by Nileth.9670)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

What’s to discuss? Nothing.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Nileth.9670

What they were thinking when they give some people a boost of 500 points from something they did in a totally different game, perhaps?
This is like saying “Hey you guys won the football tournament last year so you get to start with 1 goal every match” .
Unacceptable in my eyes, thats why i want to see their point of view…

Posted by: Mujen.5287

Mujen.5287

You do know that you can buy GW1 and get all those achievement points if you want to. Just be warned, it’s not easy and it’s tedious.

Nileth.9670

You do know that you can buy GW1 and get all those achievement points if you want to. Just be warned, it’s not easy and it’s tedious.

If i wanted to play GW1 i would have bought it and not GW2, im not saying that it was easy im saying that the rewards you guys get shouldnt affect the leaderboards in the way it does now.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

There’s nothing to discuss. With the time it takes to get 50/50, I’m surprised we’re not rewarded more than 500 AP for everything combined.

Here’s a better idea: ABOLISH Hall of Monuments because we’re forced to play another game!

Also, competition of Achievement Points? What? That’s like complaining about Achievements in XBOX Live.

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s just not a priority. The thing is its current state is fluff, and the sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. There’s no conceivable reason to think that the leaderboard was in any way balanced for competitive purposes. It will take time to think of something else.

They will get around to fix it, with the obvious solution of doing periodic resets. But stuff takes time.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

No it shouldn’t affect the leaderboards (as a HoM achievement accumulator), but the leaderboard is skewed anyway due to the old daily point values from 6 months back and how those of us with longer time invested will always be ahead of newwer players. Leaderboards in principle only work when all players work from a level playing field.

They are however, I’m sure just a bit of fun and anyway, meaningless in my eyes, so I just ignore the whole thing

Posted by: Hedge.8760

Hedge.8760

It’s just not a priority. The thing is its current state is fluff, and the sooner you realize it, the better off you will be. There’s no conceivable reason to think that the leaderboard was in any way balanced for competitive purposes. It will take time to think of something else.

They will get around to fix it, with the obvious solution of doing periodic resets. But stuff takes time.

I’m not sure how easy it would be to fix the points now that the rewards have been given. I mean, they’d have to roll back rewards from your account (including both skins, laurels and gold which you might have spent long ago). Not sure how they’d do that.

An easier solution would probably be to go and play GW1 if people want those extra rewards to stay competative. I know I am giving GW1 another go to do it, so I’m not sure why you couldn’t either? Not sure why it’s more silly than to be “forced” to do either WvW or PvP to stay ahead in the “achievement points” race. But eh, complaining is easier I guess. Better take other peoples toys so they can still stay ahead.

But then, I see the points as a bonus instead of the reason to play GW2. I think it’s a nice nod to people who has supported their previous game (which is still available).

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

They are rewarding long time supporters of their company. Without them there wont be any GW2. As Mujen.5287 said, you can still get them so they are not beyond your reach.
The rewards they gave you through the HoM were cosmetic. So are the achievement points unless you consider some gold or laurels a super advantage.

Do you know that when they said GW2 will reward player from GW1, all GW1 players wanted their character to be played in GW2?
A-Net made at least the names available due to technical reasons.

People also asked for their money to go to GW2 because if GW2 was an expansion to GW1 they would have got all their money with them.
A-net has decided to give them these achievement points to compensate it but after 1 Year which is enough time to have earn enough money in the game so this “bonus” won’t be so discriminating

ArchonWing.9480

I’m not sure how easy it would be to fix the points now that the rewards have been given. I mean, they’d have to roll back rewards from your account (including both skins, laurels and gold which you might have spent long ago). Not sure how they’d do that.

An easier solution would probably be to go and play GW1 if people want those extra rewards to stay competative. I know I am giving GW1 another go to do it, so I’m not sure why you couldn’t either? Not sure why it’s more silly than to be “forced” to do either WvW or PvP to stay ahead in the “achievement points” race. But eh, complaining is easier I guess. Better take other peoples toys so they can still stay ahead.

It’s not reasonable to expect someone to pick up a completely different game.

OP is referring exclusively to the leaderboard. I don’t really see how it’d be hard to change the leaderboard, in concept at least. There must be a way to separate the leaderboards from the total AP

Leaderboard season 1:
You started with 4000 AP and ended with 6700 AP. 6700-4000= score is 2700

No rollbacks needed though of course technical limitations apply.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

What they were thinking when they give some people a boost of 500 points from something they did in a totally different game, perhaps?
This is like saying “Hey you guys won the football tournament last year so you get to start with 1 goal every match” .

Actually a more appropriate comparison would be “Hey you guys won the football tournament last year so you get to start the season at home instead of the road”

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

What is to discuss? It is done. BAM!

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Not this again, jeesh!
The achievement leader board is for informational purposes only. It’s not competitive. If you think it is that’s your first mistake and frankly, your problem.
Nothing for the devs to discuss, working as intended, move along.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

But achievement leaderboard is a joke anyways!

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Clobimon.9652

Clobimon.9652

Putting aside the point that achievement point competing is silly. At least to the level of complaining about it. People that didn’t play GW don’t seem to understand what the HoM is truly for and the reasons for it. Those that were GW players for a long time may still consider the skins and X00 points less than expected.

I’d put in several thousand hours into GW by the time just its third birthday was coming up. The game was still fresh, alive and we had the new campaigns every six months to look forward to. Then they sprang the news of GW2 and just one last expansion/campaign to come (Eye of the North with the Hall of Monuments). Once EotN was out for a while a lot of people stopped playing knowing that was the last major addition. Others continued to work on HoM stuff. So now they have players like myself with +5000 hours invested in a youngish game that they decided to put on ‘support status’ to create a new game. They told us from the announcement og GW2 that we would not be able to port characters or gold and items. Consolation for us was the HoM and many played many hours so we would earn the rewards. In tbe end, while some of the skins are nice, they’re not as nice as a lot of new stuff so few are used. The increase in achievement points is nice of them but I doubt many that maxed out HoM will say it’s everything they hoped for or expected. Had those complaining been there through it all they wouldn’t be either.

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

This is a pointless thread. Having 500 achievement points that you can’t get isn’t something to complain about. The rewards aren’t great enough for it to be a huge deal. so they might get one more weapon skin and some gold before you. Who cares!? No one is taking anything away from you.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

The problem i find is when you add the possibility of giving them an advantage of 500 points.
This is totally messing up the competition of achievment points, 500 points is ALOT especially at the higher points where you have to grind alot for a few points.
Personally i lost a couple of hundreds ranks because of a game i didnt play earlier.

How about everyone else who overdid the Agent of Entropy achievement BEFORE the 250 cap? should all their progress past 250 also be reversed? (if you’re wondering, the answer is no).

Achievements in gw2 isn’t much of a competitive measure anyway.
Achievements in gw2 is like having that award for participation.
Want a real achievement? get a phd or start a business.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Nileth.9670

Putting aside the point that achievement point competing is silly. At least to the level of complaining about it. People that didn’t play GW don’t seem to understand what the HoM is truly for and the reasons for it. Those that were GW players for a long time may still consider the skins and X00 points less than expected.

I’d put in several thousand hours into GW by the time just its third birthday was coming up. The game was still fresh, alive and we had the new campaigns every six months to look forward to. Then they sprang the news of GW2 and just one last expansion/campaign to come (Eye of the North with the Hall of Monuments). Once EotN was out for a while a lot of people stopped playing knowing that was the last major addition. Others continued to work on HoM stuff. So now they have players like myself with +5000 hours invested in a youngish game that they decided to put on ‘support status’ to create a new game. They told us from the announcement og GW2 that we would not be able to port characters or gold and items. Consolation for us was the HoM and many played many hours so we would earn the rewards. In tbe end, while some of the skins are nice, they’re not as nice as a lot of new stuff so few are used. The increase in achievement points is nice of them but I doubt many that maxed out HoM will say it’s everything they hoped for or expected. Had those complaining been there through it all they wouldn’t be either.

Thanks for a good answer.

It’s not like im mad at them for rewarding GW1 players but i think that achievment points are the wrong kind of award since it ruins the leaderboard.

And to everyone saying that the leaderboard is a joke, that’s just the worst argument ever. Just because you can’t understand it doesnt mean u have to insult it.

Old dailies can not be compared to Hall of monuments since old dailies are still apart of THIS game and not an old one. I missed alot of points on the old dailies and on old living stories, but it doesnt bother me since it is still something that happened in the game i bought.

Posted by: Clobimon.9652

Clobimon.9652

I’d put in several thousand hours into GW by the time just its second birthday was coming up. The game was still fresh, alive and we had the new campaigns every six months to look forward to. Then they sprang the news of GW2 and just one last expansion/campaign to come (Eye of the North with the Hall of Monuments). Once EotN was out for a while a lot of people stopped playing knowing that was the last major addition. Others continued to work on HoM stuff. So now they have players like myself with +5000 hours invested in a youngish game that they decided to put on ‘support status’ to create a new game. They told us from the announcement of GW2 that we would not be able to port characters or gold and items. Consolation for us was the HoM and many played many hours so we would earn the rewards. In the end, while some of the skins are nice, they’re not as nice as a lot of new stuff so few are used. The increase in achievement points is nice of them but I doubt many that maxed out HoM will say it’s everything they hoped for or expected. Had those complaining been there through it all they wouldn’t be either.

Nileth.9670

This is a pointless thread. Having 500 achievement points that you can’t get isn’t something to complain about. The rewards aren’t great enough for it to be a huge deal. so they might get one more weapon skin and some gold before you. Who cares!? No one is taking anything away from you.

Read before you speak, will make you look less dumb.

It’s not about them getting rewarded, give them a legendary and a house on the moon i do not care, but this is messing up my precious leaderboard (YES some people actually care about it).

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

Read before you speak, will make you look less dumb.

It’s not about them getting rewarded, give them a legendary and a house on the moon i do not care, but this is messing up my precious leaderboard (YES some people actually care about it).

Is it really necessary to start off a reply with an insult? Can’t you think of any better way of correcting someone if they’re incorrect?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

How about everyone else who overdid the Agent of Entropy achievement BEFORE the 250 cap? should all their progress past 250 also be reversed? (if you’re wondering, the answer is no).

actually their progress WAS reversed. There were people with 20K points before. Now the highest person on the leaderboards has 12K points.

Posted by: Bread.7516

Bread.7516

actually their progress WAS reversed. There were people with 20K points before. Now the highest person on the leaderboards has 12K points.

LOL what a ripoff/scumbag move; all the gold they spent.

Still, the achievement system is less of “what I’m capable of achieving” more on “How long I can continuously play/grind”. So it’s not a real measure for competition, imo.

(edited by Bread.7516)

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Maybe they really appreciate GW1 players making GW2 possible and want to reward them with what they feel is an appropriate reward.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Totally different games? Guild wars 2 is a Sequal..Guild wars 1 accounts are linked to Guild wars 2 accounts and hence you can earn rewards for guild wars 2 for the work youve done in guild wars 1.That people are nitpicking over this is something i find pretty egocentric.Also those people have all bought gw1 expansions on top of that,while you were probably..busy playing wow..

ArchonWing.9480

Thanks for a good answer.

It’s not like im mad at them for rewarding GW1 players but i think that achievment points are the wrong kind of award since it ruins the leaderboard.

And to everyone saying that the leaderboard is a joke, that’s just the worst argument ever. Just because you can’t understand it doesnt mean u have to insult it.

Old dailies can not be compared to Hall of monuments since old dailies are still apart of THIS game and not an old one. I missed alot of points on the old dailies and on old living stories, but it doesnt bother me since it is still something that happened in the game i bought.

The leaderboard being a joke is not the worst argument ever. Feel free to explain it so it can be understood. In other words establish that by design, it was suited to define player skills or indicate a competitive structure. Otherwise, indicate that it affects gameplay to a significant degree.

And this actually is critical. If you can’t establish the leaderboard as a legitimate source of competition that affects gameplay, then you have no place in making large changes that affect people.

And I have made suggestions that would make the leaderboards marginally more legitimate + preserve the 500 points so I can’t see any disadvantages to it (ie, seasonal reset). And yes, I would support not having these points being part of the leaderboard. However, as long as AP and leaderboards are joined together like this, I can’t support any change.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

If it means that much to you, you can still go to GW1 and complete them.

Outside of the PvP stuff, most of it can be done with just heroes. If you really want some company, I know there’s some people in my guild who are happy to go back to help people out and I imagine it’s the same for any reasonably sized guild.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I think it is perfectly fine considering the time and effort needed to get those achievements. Also, at this point they would have a hard time reducing it even if they did do it by accident as it would mean taking away points and items already given to some players. The PR alone would be a nightmare if they tried.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

GW1 players were teased for quite some time before GW2 with possible rewards for their loyality. the 50/50 was a HUGE undertaking, in that time you could get thousands of points in GW2 – lots. And the skins you unlocked were rather disappointing and probably not the big shiny people expected when transfering to the new game. How about: Remove those kitten leaderboards of yours that serve no purpose whatsoever and leave GW1 veterans and anet alone?

Posted by: apocalyps.7106

apocalyps.7106

i have 50/50 HoM since a very long time, and i can tell you the investment in time and in game money was huge, me and other gw1 players feel that the reward for 50/50 HoM is a joke.
but as i see on the forums there are no complaints like the threads that emerged after the 500 AP award by those that do not have HoM

leaderbords are a joke and missunderstood by the OP in my opinion

this is how i see it

a list of people which shows each one’s availability to invest time in the game , grind the points away and play 24/7

and NOT a leaderbord in the real meaning of the word leader that shows the skill and ability of the player

putting it plainer = get a bot and do some macros and leave your pc on for 1 year . he will be top 1 player ( it does not involve skill or ability it involves time which frankly isn’t LEADERY, right ?)

thats that, this should proove (explanation with the bot) that leaderbords are
“cosmetic” to say the least

these things put aside a-net can do a simple thing

i bet the database is somthing similar to SQL or might be SQL orientated, even MS excel knows of a command named “if”
a-net can do the if comand in the following way

if account x has HOM = account x has hom points invisible on the leaderbords
must be able to get it working in that manner, i just put it plain.

i would not start QQing and i’m sure many other players with HoM wont QQ about not having those 500 AP on the leaderbords.

that’s that.
am i right gw1 players ?

LE : please let’s finish this QQing , it’s useless, time QQing would be better invested in the game

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

If people put as much effort into grinding achievement points as they did complaining, they’d probably have 500 by now

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

If it were 500 points from the beginning, no one would be complaining.
99% of the rewards from the gw1 HoM are garbage. In fact the majority of gw1 players we’re kitten ed off at how terrible the rewards were given the insane amount of work that was required to achieve them and what -we thought- we were getting. I think 500 Ap is totally fair.
Gw1 players also form a large part of the gw2 community. People who have been loyal to anet for years and given them tonnes of money in buying games and expansions and gem shop items all while promoting the game to friends and family. Not to sound insensitive to people who have dropped rank because they enver played gw1, but if you’re really that upset about losing rank on the leaderboards perhaps you should rethink your priorities. All the really matters are the rewards.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

Nileth.9670

Arenanet it took you less than an hour to merge my thread with this one, but getting your point of view on this wont happend or what?

And ill say it once again, reward the GW1 player aslong as it wont interfer with the achievment point leaderboard, i never said that they dont deserve to get rewarded…

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

More like “hey, guys, you won last year tennis competition, so you will be seeded this year”. Something that never happens in a real world.
Oh wait.

The only way to “fix” leaderboards would be to base them on something completely different from achievement points (which shouldn’t even be called achievement points). Basing any competitive ranking on those points is completely absurd – not when you can get more points for talking to a npc or watching a cutscene than spending many hours in active fighting in WvW. The points do not represent effort you have put into this game at all, and, additionally, favour non-competitive activities, while severely marginalizing competitive ones.
It was true since day one.

TL/DR: as they are designed, the leaderboards do not fulfill the function that some people expect them to fulfill, they were never meant to, and they can’t fulfill it.

If some people want a competitive PvE ranking, they should ask for a completely new one.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

If people put as much effort into grinding achievement points as they did complaining, they’d probably have 500 by now

Agreed. This is ridiculous.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

Arenanet it took you less than an hour to merge my thread with this one, but getting your point of view on this wont happend or what?

And ill say it once again, reward the GW1 player aslong as it wont interfer with the achievment point leaderboard, i never said that they dont deserve to get rewarded…

It was merged by a mod because you chose to create a new thread on a subject that was already under discussion. Please learn how to read and use the forums before creating duplicate threads.
You are calling out the devs, which is not allowed under forum rules, again, please learn how to use the forums.
Thank you for your assistance in keeping these forums on track and un-cluttered.

As I said before, if you believe the leader board is supposed to be competitive, that is your problem, it has nothing to do with the devs or the GW1 players, it’s your problem so you need to deal with it yourself.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

*Ahem

http://www.guildwars.com/products/eyeofthenorth/default.php

Quote directly from the page:
~Forge Your Legacy Now for Guild Wars 2™!

~Your own Hall of Monuments: a personalized trophy chamber where your achievements can become rewards for your Guild Wars 2 characters—only available in Eye of the North

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

“totally different game, perhaps?” apparently you didn’t read it all

Posted by: Curuglas.1847

Curuglas.1847

The achievement leader board is for informational purposes only. It’s not competitive. If you think it is that’s your first mistake and frankly, your problem.

You are proven wrong by one detail there. If the leaderboards were not competitive, then there would not be a “rank” involved.

No, not to discuss, but rather to fix sooner rather than later…

Curuglas.1847

Consolation for us was the HoM and many played many hours so we would earn the rewards. In tbe end, while some of the skins are nice, they’re not as nice as a lot of new stuff so few are used.

No one is denying HoM players rewards for their efforts, but they already got rewarded with exclusive items, titles etc. If they don’t like the rewards, well, even if it sounds harsh, that’s too bad but might be worth another issue (i.e. thread). Maybe the devs could come up with other rewards, besides messing up the scores?

Curuglas.1847

You are missing the point more than once here.
1) You can get those points by playing another game, key issue: another game
2) The rewards could be handed via mail instead of achievement points, no one would complain
3) Quite a few care about the achievement points and the leaderboards, so considering this thread your question seems at least odd.
4) They are taking ranks they didn’t earn in GW2, so indeed they are taking something away.

Curuglas.1847

If it means that much to you, you can still go to GW1 and complete them.

This “argument” is invalid, since it requires another game. I am playing GW2 here and all achievements should be obtainable through the GW2 interface only. Once you can go into the GW1 world through the GW2 interface and complete the HoM there, great – until then, keep HoM off the achievement points.

There have been many games apart from Guild Wars which had prequels and sequels. But none that I know of made anything from a previous game affect the following, just a few examples of games with multiple versions: Civilisation, Settlers, Neverwinter Nights, The Elder Scrolls, Diablo…
Therefore Guild Wards is already pretty unique here, handing some rewards in the sequel to the players of the prequel. Sadly the devs made a poor choice of reward this time by using the achievement points, but surely something they could easily fix: HoM points to 0, and send the real rewards by mail.

Curuglas.1847

99% of the rewards from the gw1 HoM are garbage. In fact the majority of gw1 players we’re kitten ed off at how terrible the rewards were given the insane amount of work that was required to achieve them and what -we thought- we were getting. I think 500 Ap is totally fair.

I’d say the HoM rewards as long term achievements could be compared to long term GW2 achievements, like the WvW achievements: Yakslapper for example requires “only” to kill 1 000 000 dolyaks. Let’s do some math:
You do nothing but running around killing dolyaks. Given the respawn time and paths you’d have to run, you can – on average – get one dolyak every 2 or 3 minutes. This makes for about 20-30 dolyaks per hour.

Say, you play the game 8 hours per day for 365 days, then doing nothing else but killing dolyaks all day round it’d take you between 11 and 17 YEARS to complete this achievement alone, worth a total of 56 achievement points.

Compared to HoM, which takes maybe a year or two dedicated playing, this means HoM should be worth around 1/10 to 1/8 of 56 GW2 achievement points, which means a total of 5 to 7 AP total – a value everyone can relate to, I hope.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

You are proven wrong by one detail there. If the leaderboards were not competitive, then there would not be a “rank” involved.

No, not to discuss, but rather to fix sooner rather than later…

Rank is simply a term, it means nothing, but nice try. Again, nothing to fix, it is as it was intended to be. Sorry you do not like it but that is the way it is if you do not like it, the only thing I can say is don’t play.

ShiningSquirrel.3751

You are missing the point more than once here.
1) You can get those points by playing another game, key issue: another game
2) The rewards could be handed via mail instead of achievement points, no one would complain
3) Quite a few care about the achievement points and the leaderboards, so considering this thread your question seems at least odd.
4) They are taking ranks they didn’t earn in GW2, so indeed they are taking something away.

You hit it right on the head, “the few” that care about the leader boards. That sums it up right there. Thank you for proving our point for us.