Why is there still no dueling?

in PvP

Posted by: Mythoryk.7984

Mythoryk.7984

It’s obvious that Dueling generates a lot of interest. Which, is something I find pretty strange.

Guild Wars has never been about a 1v1 experience. In fact, Guild Wars 1 was strongly positioned against it. Guild Wars 2, while more suitable for dueiling (I suppose), isn’t exactly designed for such gameplay. You can certainly duel, it is possible – obviously. However, what’s the purpose in regard to an outcome? You 1v1 until one build is proven better than the other. If you lose, you adjust your build to counter their build (pending they haven’t changed something to more-so dominate your build). The cycle continues until the excitement putters out. That’s why 1v1 on Guild Wars is referred to as “Build Wars.” There’s no point to it at all.

Many MMORPG are not designed for 1v1 and still have dueling.

With that being said – why would the Devs spend their time (and Anet’s money) developing and implementing a feature on the game that serves absolutely no function? You can duel in custom arenas. At least your “PvP” format is somewhat supported. I’m not complaining about the fact that there’s no HA style competitive play where maps progress with the same team… I’m not complaining that there’s no GvG style game play wherein Guilds can competitively play each other on maps with complex objectives that require coordination and skill. (Well… maybe I am.)

Devs should spend their time because dueling is fun.

Dueling in custom arenas does not work because it is griefable.

The ONLY way I could see dueling being a legitimate feature in the game is through either dueling in the Hall of Memories itself (Near the Profession NPCs), or implementing an NPC that brings both players to an instanced mini-zone in which to duel. This could be incredibly beneficial to conceptualizing builds and practicing/teaching new builds. For these purposes, and in this format, dueling can be a benefit to the gameplay.

How about no?

However, dueling in PvE isn’t a viable option. It’s distracting for PvE players who are playing casually and learning the game, it’s incredibly annoying to receive random duel invites, it’s an inefficient use of Dev time, etc… Think about how much effort would go into just making it so the AoE damage would only affect the dueling participants, and not the environment such as surrounding enemies, any ambient creatures, etc… and nullifying enemy aggro. You WOULD want enemy aggro nullified while dueling, right? (If you say no, and that you’d just duel in little outposts, what’s the difference in hoping into a custom arena?) So why couldn’t 2 players “duel” each other and just not fight… and run from LA to Malchor’s Leap without aggro? – Exploitative.

PvE players can just turn it down and Auto decline.

Your logic is flawless. Nice retorts. Your counter arguments are near perfection.

“How about no” in regard to a feature that would improve the playability of tPvP concepts that could also be utilized as a dueling function? Makes sense. Why would you want a feature to be cross-utilized? That would only be efficient. In what world would efficiency be accepted?

Also, I’ve played several games that weren’t balanced for 1v1 that allowed dueling. And I’ll say it again… it was pointless and clumsy and rather annoying for the average PvE player. Guild Wars was literally driven by GvG. The dev team has always been proponent to team-based strategic gameplay and have always been openly against the 1v1 concept. It’s a pointless mind-set. It settles nothing. It’s a waste of time.
Again, it ALWAYS comes down to Build Wars. Not skill. 1v1 dueling in an open world environment will never happen. Good luck if you truly believe it will happen in Guild Wars 2.

Mythoryk: (Sorrow’s Furnace)
Guild: [CoSA]

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

It’s a waste of time.

Every MMO is a waste of time. What do you expect? Productivity?

Again, it ALWAYS comes down to Build Wars. Not skill.

There is literally no experienced PvP player who will agree with this.

in PvP

Mythoryk.7984

It’s a waste of time.

There is literally no experienced PvP player who will agree 1v1 dueling is a form of PvP. Sorry. It’s two people pressing buttons at each other. You watch one person, and react to their actions. That takes literally 0 skill, whatsoever. If your build isn’t designed to counter theirs, or is less effective in countering theirs than their build is to countering yours, you lose. End of story.

Just for reference, I was R10/G8 on GW1 and Rank 51 with 617 wins in Team Arenas on GW2. I agree with myself, which makes your point invalid.

in PvP

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

Just being in the area of an event scales it. You don’t have to do anything to make it harder on others.

To keep a consistent level of difficulty along with increased participation, an event will scale dynamically based on the number of active participants.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event

Test this yourself, go to a dynamic event and afk.

I speak from experience. I did not say all events work this way, but some do, for whatever reason, while others, do other odd things at times. Additionally, just being there does scale events even if they don’t actively participate. And maybe some have forgotten the lazy rangers standing around for days with a healing skill on auto getting credit for events?

Do I care if one or 2 people get credit for an event? Why would I really? Unless, of course, I am doing an event pretty much alone and they get credit for my work. That wasn’t really the point, though, and does not negate anything.

I was listing some of the things that players should consider because the devs will be considering them and they will have to take into account.

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

There is literally no experienced PvP player who will agree 1v1 dueling is a form of PvP.

You can’t be serious. Of course dueling is a form of PvP. What do you think “PvP” stands for? Push vs Pull?

You watch one person, and react to their actions. That takes literally 0 skill, whatsoever.

I think you just defined the meaning of skill.

in PvP

Mythoryk.7984

There is literally no experienced PvP player who will agree 1v1 dueling is a form of PvP.

You can’t be serious. Of course dueling is a form of PvP. What do you think “PvP” stands for? Push vs Pull?

You watch one person, and react to their actions. That takes literally 0 skill, whatsoever.

Sure, it’s PvP in the sense that it’s a player versus a player… It’s NOT PvP in the sense of what Guild Wars has always considered PvP.

And… absolutely not. Skill is protting without your party window open (GW1). Skill is Power Blocking RC and Diverting infuse within 3 seconds (GW1). Skill is having complete field awareness while still bunking 3v1 and calling offensive tactical calls from a defensive position. Skill is NOT standing in front of another player and pressing skills to make their HP lower than your HP… I’m sorry… it’s just not.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

The amount of carebear in this thread is off the charts.
Lotro has/had dueling, and it was quite fun, but not really indicative of much, if anything.
But then again, neither are achievement points on GW2, and yet…….
The thought process behind such line(s) of thinking would truly make a wonderful subject to study.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

bhagwad.4281

Sure, it’s PvP in the sense that it’s a player versus a player… It’s NOT PvP in the sense of what Guild Wars has always considered PvP.

And… absolutely not. Skill is protting without your party window open (GW1). Skill is Power Blocking RC and Diverting infuse within 3 seconds (GW1). Skill is having complete field awareness while still bunking 3v1 and calling offensive tactical calls from a defensive position. Skill is NOT standing in front of another player and pressing skills to make their HP lower than your HP… I’m sorry… it’s just not.

I believe this is what you said: “You watch one person, and react to their actions.”

That is not the same as just “standing in front of one player and pressing buttons”. It implies in fact, all of the examples you’ve given. Like using Psychic Instability to knockdown someone when they use a key skill. Like using diversion to delay a monk’s healing skill.

Person A uses skill = Action
Person B uses skill to interrupt A = Reaction

Please explain to how your statement “You watch one person, and react to their actions. That takes literally 0 skill” is in conformity to your examples displaying exactly said actions and reactions?

If that is not “watching a person and reacting to their actions”, I don’t know what is. We don’t appear to be speaking the same language.

(edited by bhagwad.4281)

in PvP

Posted by: azerte.4365

azerte.4365

It’s a waste of time.

There is literally no experienced PvP player who will agree 1v1 dueling is a form of PvP. Sorry.

So that’s why guilds like FC and such have dueling servers set up…

Schäde – Lolzie
Trillmatic |tM| / Angelic Synergy |Holy|

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Just being in the area of an event scales it. You don’t have to do anything to make it harder on others.

To keep a consistent level of difficulty along with increased participation, an event will scale dynamically based on the number of active participants.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dynamic_event

Test this yourself, go to a dynamic event and afk.

I speak from experience. I did not say all events work this way, but some do, for whatever reason, while others, do other odd things at times. Additionally, just being there does scale events even if they don’t actively participate. And maybe some have forgotten the lazy rangers standing around for days with a healing skill on auto getting credit for events?

Do I care if one or 2 people get credit for an event? Why would I really? Unless, of course, I am doing an event pretty much alone and they get credit for my work. That wasn’t really the point, though, and does not negate anything.

I was listing some of the things that players should consider because the devs will be considering them and they will have to take into account.

You most likely accidentally helped out an event.

But let say that you are right. Dueling isn’t anymore griefable than afking and should not be an issue.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in PvP

runeblade.7514

It’s obvious that Dueling generates a lot of interest. Which, is something I find pretty strange.

Guild Wars has never been about a 1v1 experience. In fact, Guild Wars 1 was strongly positioned against it. Guild Wars 2, while more suitable for dueiling (I suppose), isn’t exactly designed for such gameplay. You can certainly duel, it is possible – obviously. However, what’s the purpose in regard to an outcome? You 1v1 until one build is proven better than the other. If you lose, you adjust your build to counter their build (pending they haven’t changed something to more-so dominate your build). The cycle continues until the excitement putters out. That’s why 1v1 on Guild Wars is referred to as “Build Wars.” There’s no point to it at all.

Many MMORPG are not designed for 1v1 and still have dueling.

With that being said – why would the Devs spend their time (and Anet’s money) developing and implementing a feature on the game that serves absolutely no function? You can duel in custom arenas. At least your “PvP” format is somewhat supported. I’m not complaining about the fact that there’s no HA style competitive play where maps progress with the same team… I’m not complaining that there’s no GvG style game play wherein Guilds can competitively play each other on maps with complex objectives that require coordination and skill. (Well… maybe I am.)

Devs should spend their time because dueling is fun.

Dueling in custom arenas does not work because it is griefable.

The ONLY way I could see dueling being a legitimate feature in the game is through either dueling in the Hall of Memories itself (Near the Profession NPCs), or implementing an NPC that brings both players to an instanced mini-zone in which to duel. This could be incredibly beneficial to conceptualizing builds and practicing/teaching new builds. For these purposes, and in this format, dueling can be a benefit to the gameplay.

How about no?

However, dueling in PvE isn’t a viable option. It’s distracting for PvE players who are playing casually and learning the game, it’s incredibly annoying to receive random duel invites, it’s an inefficient use of Dev time, etc… Think about how much effort would go into just making it so the AoE damage would only affect the dueling participants, and not the environment such as surrounding enemies, any ambient creatures, etc… and nullifying enemy aggro. You WOULD want enemy aggro nullified while dueling, right? (If you say no, and that you’d just duel in little outposts, what’s the difference in hoping into a custom arena?) So why couldn’t 2 players “duel” each other and just not fight… and run from LA to Malchor’s Leap without aggro? – Exploitative.

PvE players can just turn it down and Auto decline.

Your logic is flawless. Nice retorts. Your counter arguments are near perfection.

“How about no” in regard to a feature that would improve the playability of tPvP concepts that could also be utilized as a dueling function? Makes sense. Why would you want a feature to be cross-utilized? That would only be efficient. In what world would efficiency be accepted?

Also, I’ve played several games that weren’t balanced for 1v1 that allowed dueling. And I’ll say it again… it was pointless and clumsy and rather annoying for the average PvE player. Guild Wars was literally driven by GvG. The dev team has always been proponent to team-based strategic gameplay and have always been openly against the 1v1 concept. It’s a pointless mind-set. It settles nothing. It’s a waste of time.
Again, it ALWAYS comes down to Build Wars. Not skill. 1v1 dueling in an open world environment will never happen. Good luck if you truly believe it will happen in Guild Wars 2.

Who are you to tell people that enjoy what they do is pointless. That is incredibly rude and ignorant.

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

1.Living story fun only last for…… a week? While the fun of Dueling last forever. Dueling at anytime, anywhere, thats kinda epic. Dueling at the highest peak of Maelstrom?….

2.It helps newbies to horn their skill while preventing them from being thrashed at the current hotjoin, or custom 1v1 map….

3. Through my experience of mmo for 10 yrs, i make the most friends in dueling during end game….

Now dear Arena, what is the main reason from holding you guys to implement the dueling system?

Very good points! I’m looking forward immensely towards seeing and practicing dueling in this game! I still think that it should be disabled in the core areas of the capitals, and that you should need to tag yourself with an icon to show that you’re willing to duel.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Neither is wvw (or zvz or zvd), but it is still here, so what is the argument again? I start to think that this is a trolling attempt…

in PvP

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

Well all this game boils down to is a players ability to make decisions and time button presses… it requires very little continuous coordination and for most things doesn’t require very rapid reactions or either. Trying to use “skill” as an argument just sounds a bit silly to me.

Bottom line is that pvp is a big part of the game, and within existing modes 1v1s do occur with reasonable frequency. For pvp’ers, who wouldn’t want to practice when there is a chance? For non pvp’ers, this could be a great way to screw around and experience some pvp in a friendly way.

Seeing some players fighting each other could bring some life into an otherwise fairly artificial and lifeless world

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

The whole dueling has no relevance in actual pvp argument is ridiculous, how do you think people keep stomping you 1v1 at your home node? They practice dueling with tpvp builds. If I didn’t practice dueling dps guards for hours with my thief there would be no way I could beat them in tpvp, same goes for engies while on my gs/lb build.

in PvP

Posted by: Liza.2758

Liza.2758

The custom arena working as great as dueling option.
you can set the room 1 player per side as well.

once the death map arena comes out i imagine , it replaces the foefire.

I don’t think you will get the “flag dueling” like Rift or other games in here
it seems they just don’t have that system in game at all

in PvP

Posted by: DaedSaint.6190

DaedSaint.6190

While I’m not sure how much dueling applies to spvp players, I do know that as someone who spends most of their time in WvW, seeing/having participated in the impromptu dueling that happens there quite regularly there (if you know where to look), I think this would be a boon for a couple reasons:

1. The most noticeable right now is look at the WvW reaction to Acc bound wxp. Overwhelming support. The WvWers would be the one to appreciate this change most and we are the ones who buy our gems (obviously I do not speak for everyone here) to get the items off the gem store we desire because we just dont want to spend our time in PvE.

2. This was mentioned in a earlier post, but it would be a great quality of life change to be able to strike up a duel with guildies (or even randoms) when waiting on X to start/move out etc. Also as a personal point of view on this, I know I would love to be able to fight members of my guild to test builds, practice 1v1, maybe have an informal tourney, and generally I think it would be fun.

3. For those concerned with dueling in the middle of a PvE area; I know this is by no means a blanket statement, but knowing the mind of someone who likes to duel, most of the the duels would happen off in an area with relative seclusion to avoid interruptions. I reiterate: this would not be all but I do think that the bulk of open world duels would happen without the PvE population ever even knowing about it.

4. I really thought this would be obvious, but no offense to the dev who commented earlier, spvp and wvw are two separate entities. Yes there are some who run almost identical builds in both, but a lot of us who like to build and tweak till we get the numbers just right to how we play will only ever get similar builds in spvp (and I mean how a cat is similar to and elephant because they both have 4 legs and a tail). To be able to 1v1 in out fully kitted out wvw builds against other combat ready wvw builds to see how they perform in combat is something this game sorely needs.

In summary:
- helps keep wvw population happy
- promote guild unity and interaction
- introduce new people to pvp in a controlled environment
- PvE players need fear not
- fantastic quality of life addition

Saint Acardos – [INCO]/[VoX] – DR
“Why do I need damage? I brought a thief.”

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

You guys are making some really good points, thanks.

Do you guys think this should be a higher priority than other changes? Why?

No. People that want to duel have the tools available. Its just an argument of semantics at this point. I for one would like you guys to focus on other things.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Mythoryk.7984

Please explain to how your statement “You watch one person, and react to their actions. That takes literally 0 skill” is in conformity to your examples displaying exactly said actions and reactions?

If that is not “watching a person and reacting to their actions”, I don’t know what is. We don’t appear to be speaking the same language.

" Skill is Power Blocking RC and Diverting infuse within 3 seconds (GW1). Skill is having complete field awareness while still bunking 3v1 and calling offensive tactical calls from a defensive position."

This involves more focus and attention to more than just a single target. If you TRULY feel that 1v1 takes skill… I’m truly sorry for you. Good luck in your PvP endeavors.

in PvP

Mythoryk.7984

Neither is wvw (or zvz or zvd), but it is still here, so what is the argument again? I start to think that this is a trolling attempt…

Are you seriously suggesting WvW is a proper form of PvP? You mean a format of game play that ties in every way to PvE? You mean the format of game play with mining nodes, aggro, WPs, PoIs, Vistas and JPs? Umm… if you simply throw players into the mix and they get to fight each other… that doesn’t mean it’s a Player vs Player format of game play. WvW is a unique hybridization and is more-so PvE with PvP elements.

It’s certainly not a trolling attempt. Just because WoW thinks Dueling is PvP doesn’t mean it’s a form of Guild Wars PvP. Sorry.

in PvP

Mythoryk.7984

Who are you to tell people that enjoy what they do is pointless. That is incredibly rude and ignorant.

Just because you enjoy something doesn’t mean it’s not pointless. It IS pointless. Ignorance has nothing to do with it. I’m aware that it can be fun. But that doesn’t mean Anet should devote time and energy into creating a feature where 2 individuals can duel in a PvE environment.

If you want dueling, duel in Custom Arenas. If your argument is that people can interfere, buy your own Custom Arena Stater Kit and make it private and assign allowances – plain and simple.

If Anet implements a Dueling format into the game, it will most likely be tied to sPvP/tPvP as a practice and learning tool. It will certainly not be considered a serious format of PvP, and will surely not see any LB statistics.

in PvP

Posted by: Emissary.3792

Emissary.3792

Why do you feel custom arenas do not work for those that want to duel?

Dueling is an extremely casual activity. It does not need leaderboards, extensive balancing, anything. It’s a time filler and a way to experience facing a live opponent without making any kind of time/gear/learning commitment. Examples:
1) Waiting for the 5th party member to show up while they’re emptying bags
2) Waiting for newbie to finish watching long cutscene or redo a long trash run
3) Waiting for Marionette to spawn, because you don’t want to get queued
4) Waiting for ladder matchup
5) Waiting for buy orders to fulfill on TP
6) Newbie wants to fight a live player
7) Curiosity of how your PvE build stacks up against another PvE build

SPvP requires finding a new area/leaving your current area, setting up a new build using gear that has different stat allocations than PvE, learning what the game/arena types are and how to join them, etc. All of this is confusing and intimidating to anyone new (or not new) who just wants to try their hand at poking at a friend or other player without any serious commitment.

in PvP

Emissary.3792

Are you seriously suggesting WvW is a proper form of PvP?
—snip—
If you want dueling, duel in Custom Arenas. If your argument is that people can interfere, buy your own Custom Arena Stater Kit and make it private and assign allowances
—snip—
it will most likely be tied to sPvP/tPvP as a practice and learning tool.

You seem to be making dueling out to be a form of competitive play (albeit one you look down on as unskilled and pointless). I argue that it’s simply a QoL feature for casual/PvE players who are explicitly NOT interested in hardcore/competitive PVP play.

Personally, I want something to occupy my time instead of running in circles in front of a dungeon entrance waiting for my guildmate to finish ‘just one last thing’ for 30 minutes.

However, I can also see it serving as a gateway of sorts – Once you’ve dueled a few times, I can easily see it enticing a PvE player who previously had no interest in PvP to try out some new builds and maybe finally step into the arena for real competition once they think they’ve gotten a feel for it.

(edited by Emissary.3792)

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Just because you enjoy something doesn’t mean it’s not pointless. It IS pointless. Ignorance has nothing to do with it. I’m aware that it can be fun. But that doesn’t mean Anet should devote time and energy into creating a feature where 2 individuals can duel in a PvE environment.

I hope I don’t cause an existential crisis in you, but: sPvP which you ground a whopping 50 ranks of is pointless just the same.

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

You really seem to have no idea what dueling is :/ if people do choose to play perma stealth survival specs while dueling then other people just wont duel them and the other guy could just leave the area or concede (they would have to add at least 1 of those features), there is nothing to gain from anything you do in this game it is just a time sink; Some people want to enjoy dueling wherever they want while wasting their time instead of wasting even more time going to a server where they cannot test roaming builds or be sure that no one will interfere.

You seem to only think about yourself and your fun regardless at the expense of others.

I know what dueling is and I know why the most of you want it. Get a group of friends, go to the Mists (Spvp, you know the place were pvp happens if you haven’t been there) then get into a server and start dueling. It is a single button away. It doesn’t take long to load and you can switch builds, sigils, and runes for free. There is absolutely no reason to bring trash dueling to PvE world (more so over in a TEAM orientated game).

Believe it or not, I actually PvP. I have since Guild Wars 1. I have played in countless GvGs, HoH, TA, HB and to a lesser extent AB. In Guild Wars 2 I came to tPvP with my prior Guild Wars 1 team. We dueled and had fun in the FREE servers of hot join. We played paid tournaments and free tournaments. Guild Wars 1 and 2 are not even the beginning of all the games I have pvped in. Even still open world dueling is trash in most games.

Why? Because most of you will not be fighting friends. You will be bugging PvErs. Thinking you are hot stuff when you take out a Ranger who just started playing with your 80 fully buffed with food, sigils, stacks and runes Thief. Just like in WoW. Nothing but Rouges and Ice Mages running around challenging low levels in front of Orgimmar.

Instead of playing Stat Wars with your insanely buffed builds. Go to the mists and actually try out PvP. Where you can not buff your health to 30k due to food and stacks on sigils, or a attack value of 4k. Learn to play in Spvp with lower stats and you will not even need those things for roaming in WvW.

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Angz and SWIM are two main dueling servers on EU. Angz has a few rules so read them first – they are sensible. To get to them click the crossed swords (PvP tab) at the top of your screen, find them in the list and double click. Set to favourites if you like.

Easy access to dueling and observation of dueling.

in PvP

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Why? Because most of you will not be fighting friends. You will be bugging PvErs. Thinking you are hot stuff when you take out a Ranger who just started playing with your 80 fully buffed with food, sigils, stacks and runes Thief. Just like in WoW. Nothing but Rouges and Ice Mages running around challenging low levels in front of Orgimmar.

Instead of playing Stat Wars with your insanely buffed builds. Go to the mists and actually try out PvP. Where you can not buff your health to 30k due to food and stacks on sigils, or a attack value of 4k. Learn to play in Spvp with lower stats and you will not even need those things for roaming in WvW.

Nice strawman!

in PvP

Emissary.3792

Believe it or not, I actually PvP.
—snip—
Even still open world dueling is trash in most games.

As I said above, you being a PvPer means you are exactly the wrong type of player to enjoy having a duel feature. Because you enjoy hardcore/competitive play, and duels are casual.

Why? Because most of you will not be fighting friends. You will be bugging PvErs.

Make the default option “refuse duels”. Done.

EDIT: For clarification, I’ve spent the last year or so doing almost nothing but dungeons, and run a PvE build that is useless in WvW (haven’t even bothered trying in SPvP). I am not a pvper looking for a chance to stomp newbs in queensdale.

(edited by Emissary.3792)

in PvP

Vanthian.9267

Nice strawman!

Nice use of term most of you don’t really know.

I neither distorted the original point of the argument nor hyper inflated the point. I merely pointed out that in most mmos with open world dueling it comes down to high levels fully buffed requesting duels repeatedly from low levels. I did not claim all of them do it, nor did I claim that duels in their entirety are bad.

in PvP

Vanthian.9267

Or you could simply conduct your causal dueling in the specified area of the game made for it.

in PvP

Emissary.3792

Or you could simply conduct your causal dueling in the specified area of the game made for it.

Not practical for casual players or queued areas, as mentioned many times. Besides, is this not a legitimate solution for the issue you raised? Because your solution does not address the needs I pointed out.

in PvP

Zirith.6429

You really seem to have no idea what dueling is :/ if people do choose to play perma stealth survival specs while dueling then other people just wont duel them and the other guy could just leave the area or concede (they would have to add at least 1 of those features), there is nothing to gain from anything you do in this game it is just a time sink; Some people want to enjoy dueling wherever they want while wasting their time instead of wasting even more time going to a server where they cannot test roaming builds or be sure that no one will interfere.

You seem to only think about yourself and your fun regardless at the expense of others.

I know what dueling is and I know why the most of you want it. Get a group of friends, go to the Mists (Spvp, you know the place were pvp happens if you haven’t been there) then get into a server and start dueling. It is a single button away. It doesn’t take long to load and you can switch builds, sigils, and runes for free. There is absolutely no reason to bring trash dueling to PvE world (more so over in a TEAM orientated game).

Believe it or not, I actually PvP. I have since Guild Wars 1. I have played in countless GvGs, HoH, TA, HB and to a lesser extent AB. In Guild Wars 2 I came to tPvP with my prior Guild Wars 1 team. We dueled and had fun in the FREE servers of hot join. We played paid tournaments and free tournaments. Guild Wars 1 and 2 are not even the beginning of all the games I have pvped in. Even still open world dueling is trash in most games.

All I do is pvp, I just want the functionallity to duel people in the open world since the mists are ugly and boring and it would be cool to duel people in nice areas, or test wvw builds, and not be confined to the restrictive stat sets that spvp has. If you dont want to duel you can disable it, it will literally never effect you, if you forget to disable it you can just decline, spamming people with requests will obviously be prohibited.

You call me selfish but because of your outrageous generalizations and tinfoil hat you clearly feel that a feature that will only enhance the game should not be implemented. Your arguments are baseless and all have clearly stated and easy to implement solutions, your complaining is annoying and unjustified, and your repetitive statements need to stop.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

If you want dueling, duel in Custom Arenas. If your argument is that people can interfere, buy your own Custom Arena Stater Kit and make it private and assign allowances – plain and simple.

If Anet implements a Dueling format into the game, it will most likely be tied to sPvP/tPvP as a practice and learning tool. It will certainly not be considered a serious format of PvP, and will surely not see any LB statistics.

You know what, there is nothing more pointless than everything that you think is more important than dueling. Therefore, ANet should spend more time on implementing dueling.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Or you could make the default option “refuse duels.” Done.

in PvP

runeblade.7514

The FWR- Frequently worried replies.

• I am afraid of duel requests.
    Auto-decline is a standard dueling feature. There should be no reason for ANet to not add this.
  • I am afraid of someone constantly harassing me about dueling.
    Report them for verbal abuse and block them. Should Gold be removed because a beggar constantly harrass me about giving them gold or should I report and block the beggar?
  • I am afraid dueling will make PvE players toxic.
    I see many toxic PvE players and dueling hasn’t been implemented yet. Should ANet remove PvE because there is a toxic sludge in PvE?
  • I think that PvP isn’t balanced around 1v1 so I think that dueling should not exist.
    1v1 happens in sPvP, whether or not you like it. They are called home bunker and far point assaulter.

Many MMORPG with dueling exist anyways.

• I am afraid that forums will discuss about 1v1 balancing.
    Everyone is always crying about thieves because of their 1v1 capabilities. This will not be new.
  • I am worried that thieves and mesmers sending duel request to me.
    You have a choice. You can get a better build, or you can decline it. If you are feeling venturous, then duel them.
  • I think that duel rooms are a aviable alternative for dueling.
    Anyone can easily grief in hotjoin. It takes one person to ruin the duel.
  • I think that duelist should buy custom arenas for their duels to be protected.
    That is incredibly selfish. If I have to pay a monthly fee to duel, then you should pay a monthly fee to Champ farm and do dungeons.
  • It doesn’t interest me so I want ANet to use resources on something that interest me.
    That is very selfish.
  • I worry that the duelers might get distracted by outside forces.
    It is the duelist’s fault for picking a bad spot to duel. They have the choice to duel anywhere in the world.
  • I am afraid that duelist will interrupt something that I’ll do.
    There is no way that a duelist can grief you anymore than another regular player can. In Dynamic events, even if duelist are fighting without doing anything to help the DE progression, those duelist will not gain any rewards nor make the DE more difficult to complete.
  • I am afraid of seeing two duelist fighting each other.
    Their annoyance is equal to some player that is spamming their skills. Except, I see plenty of players spamming their skills.

in PvP

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

The FWR- Frequently worried replies.

• I am afraid of duel requests.
    Auto-decline is a standard dueling feature. There should be no reason for ANet to not add this.
  • I am afraid of someone constantly harassing me about dueling.
    Report them for verbal abuse and block them. Should Gold be removed because a beggar constantly harrass me about giving them gold or should I report and block the beggar?
  • I am afraid dueling will make PvE players toxic.
    I see many toxic PvE players and dueling hasn’t been implemented yet. Should ANet remove PvE because there is a toxic sludge in PvE?
  • I think that PvP isn’t balanced around 1v1 so I think that dueling should not exist.
    1v1 happens in sPvP, whether or not you like it. They are called home bunker and far point assaulter.

Many MMORPG with dueling exist anyways.

• I am afraid that forums will discuss about 1v1 balancing.
    Everyone is always crying about thieves because of their 1v1 capabilities. This will not be new.
  • I am worried that thieves and mesmers sending duel request to me.
    You have a choice. You can get a better build, or you can decline it. If you are feeling venturous, then duel them.
  • I think that duel rooms are a aviable alternative for dueling.
    Anyone can easily grief in hotjoin. It takes one person to ruin the duel.
  • I think that duelist should buy custom arenas for their duels to be protected.
    That is incredibly selfish. If I have to pay a monthly fee to duel, then you should pay a monthly fee to Champ farm and do dungeons.
  • It doesn’t interest me so I want ANet to use resources on something that interest me.
    That is very selfish.
  • I worry that the duelers might get distracted by outside forces.
    It is the duelist’s fault for picking a bad spot to duel. They have the choice to duel anywhere in the world.
  • I am afraid that duelist will interrupt something that I’ll do.
    There is no way that a duelist can grief you anymore than another regular player can. In Dynamic events, even if duelist are fighting without doing anything to help the DE progression, those duelist will not gain any rewards nor make the DE more difficult to complete.
  • I am afraid of seeing two duelist fighting each other.
    Their annoyance is equal to some player that is spamming their skills. Except, I see plenty of players spamming their skills.

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing. I don’t even care about dueling, I’ve played swtor and always declined duels, but I’ve been following this thread and the arguments against dueling are selfish, and inconsiderate. One of the main things I like about guild wars is it is able to allow people to play how they want, spvp, rvr (wvw), pve. Why shouldn’t devs put a bit of time and let people who want to duel, duel.

I just can’t see it having any of the negatives that keep being brought up. I think the few people who continue to voice their negative opinions about it must have had a really bad exp at one time.

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

Dueling is an extremely casual activity. It does not need leaderboards, extensive balancing, anything. It’s a time filler and a way to experience facing a live opponent without making any kind of time/gear/learning commitment. Examples:
1) Waiting for the 5th party member to show up while they’re emptying bags
2) Waiting for newbie to finish watching long cutscene or redo a long trash run
3) Waiting for Marionette to spawn, because you don’t want to get queued
4) Waiting for ladder matchup
5) Waiting for buy orders to fulfill on TP
6) Newbie wants to fight a live player
7) Curiosity of how your PvE build stacks up against another PvE build

SPvP requires finding a new area/leaving your current area, setting up a new build using gear that has different stat allocations than PvE, learning what the game/arena types are and how to join them, etc. All of this is confusing and intimidating to anyone new (or not new) who just wants to try their hand at poking at a friend or other player without any serious commitment.

Ah, you’re getting me SO HYPED UP about dueling! =DD Love et!

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

in PvP

Posted by: Cynic.4805

Cynic.4805

Let’s try to keep this thread active as the only way we are gonna see a change is with enough support. I would love to see anet step up and make some changes based on the requests of the pvp crowd

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Oh! I see you bumped up your thread, I’ll just go ahead and just agree with this and quote me from the other thread:

I’d definitely like to see more things to do in the lobby, and I love jumping puzzles.

What other sorts of things would you guys like to see?

A flexible, intuitive, non intrusive, fast Dueling system (OUTSIDE arenas and even the lobby).

Thank you for reading.

So yeah, +1.

in PvP

Vanthian.9267

Not practical for casual players or queued areas, as mentioned many times. Besides, is this not a legitimate solution for the issue you raised? Because your solution does not address the needs I pointed out.

It is practical and it is by far the simplest solution to the presented problem.

Instead you would have them waste development time on PvE dueling when they already have an area of the game specifically for this type of activity. Dueling in the lobby for the mists in certain areas I could see, but it does not belong in the open world of PvE. Maybe even in WvW (anywhere besides the starting areas with invulnerable buff) I could see it, but absolutely not in PvE.

in PvP

Vanthian.9267

You call me selfish but because of your outrageous generalizations and tinfoil hat you clearly feel that a feature that will only enhance the game should not be implemented. Your arguments are baseless and all have clearly stated and easy to implement solutions, your complaining is annoying and unjustified, and your repetitive statements need to stop.

And you are completely hypocritical. A completely unjustified call for developer time to spent on something that can already be accomplished in the game. Not to mention you all say the same repetitive statements to a tune: I just want a easy way to duel with my friends. Well guess what, it is in the game already.

in PvP

Zirith.6429

Please refer to my last post.

in PvP

Vanthian.9267

Please refer to my last post.

Indeed you should listen to your own advice.

in PvP

Posted by: Prime.8792

Prime.8792

So of course the system will need a refuse duel requests option in the menu, but what of the players harassing you through chat? What is to stop you from simply blocking that person and you will hear nothing from them again?

That’s the thing though, right now I rarely have to deal with that because of the extra effort you have to put in to try and get someone to duel you. However if there was a readily available way to do it some will flame you for not wanting to bother with them. What’s worse is that even as things are now I’ve blocked one troll only for his friend(s) to continue the assault. I enjoy a bit of light-hearted trash talk but some people take it waaaay too personally. I would say this kind of behavior would happen much more frequently with open world dueling.

Isn’t that a weird thing to assume to happen? I mean, if that’s the only reason you don’t want duelling I think it’s a non-issue because I don’t think people thát annoying exist in large numbers. Maybe the odd bored 13 year old during school breaks.

But I can say with a fair amount of certainty that there’s a significant number of people like that out there because it ran rampant in many MMOs I’ve played i the past. Some games you couldn’t walk through a hub area without numerous players running around spamming duel requests and if you had it turned off they would spout off crap like “come on dule meh u ______” and the like, and they were always on the class that was the strongest 1v1. It made the whole game feel more toxic especially when you’re trying to do something else.

Now, maybe I’m just being overly cynical but my main reason for not wanting it is that I don’t want resources being put towards a duel mode when there’s more important things that can be focused on.

I had similar experience in WoW too. Usually, the duel spammers are fully geared and spec’d for 1 on 1 and they spam on a class they know they are a strong counter to, i.e. Frost Mage vs Warrior. And when I switch to play Shadow Priest that counters the mage, the guy backs down.

It doesn’t happen all the time, but it is annoying.

Anyway, didn’t Anet just introduce a new map for Dueling/deathmatch?

in PvP

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I think the main concern is that dueling will be used to validate a balance gripe.

If you look at most balance discussions for spvp WvW roaming or duels always ends up thrown in the mix unless it is something that is extremely no viable with WvW like hambow. In duels hambow is strong in WvW roaming it is not because of mobility but in WvW roaming and dueling lines are blurred because it’s usually the same builds used for both.

The casual nature and fun of dueling gets lost on some because they just happened to be hard countered in a duel. Dueling is all some do and care about a supported mode gives them a voice.

I’d be cool with supported dueling if I thought the majority would see it as nothing more then casual fun but I can’t say I am confident it would.

When I am on my ele running a standard cantrip d/d build I know a necro is a uphill fight, when I am on my necro I know a cantrip ele is a easier fight since ele is my main and I consider myself a decent player I shouldn’t lose. If I lose on my ele against a necro I won’t come screaming for nerfs to necro’s it did what it is suppose to do I realize that most don’t see it that way they think their build should beat all builds 1-10 with the same success rate.

I say implement it for the overall fun of the game I just want it to get the WvW treatment of we don’t balance around duels.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in PvP

Posted by: Wilburforce.4103

Wilburforce.4103

So I was talking with a friend earlier this morning after a CoE run. Bouncing around the camp West of the dungeon, we spoke of a topic that keeps appearing in many of my chats with fellow gamers. So as to cut to the chase, Dear Anet could you please put a /duel function into the game!!? It is one of the major things I find lacking in Gw2, you have so many beautiful zones and I personally feel for one it would be fun to kick the crap out of a friend in said zones. Going to Spvp is just not the same. If you guys could please put dueling into the game I’m sure many players would be grateful, thank you =-)

in PvP

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Here you go a dev post from one week ago:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Why-is-there-STILL-no-dueling/first#post3804703

Simplest answer I can give is that it just isn’t as high a priority as other things we have been working on.

The Burninator

in PvP

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

put it in the arena in the charr city (breath some life into the city)…..but NOT in open world.

some people don’t like being bothered by strangers who want to duel…..who then harass you if you decide not to duel them. its a problem in all games that have open world dueling.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in PvP

runeblade.7514

Here you go a dev post from one week ago:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Why-is-there-STILL-no-dueling/first#post3804703

Simplest answer I can give is that it just isn’t as high a priority as other things we have been working on.

And this is a dev post saying he is reconsidering the priority.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Why-is-there-STILL-no-dueling/first#post3805002

in PvP

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

because you either need to pay monthly to be able to keep your arena and duel, or have a guild that specifically is okay to stop doing what they’re doing so you could duel. It also doesn’t allow you to try your PVE gear against your friends – you can only try PvP builds.