Candy Corn Gobbler: non multiple of 400 gems.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheLastNobody.8319

TheLastNobody.8319

I saw the test of the new interface today and it looks solid to me. (I also happen to think it’s very attractive, but maybe that’s just me. )

The interface and Custom option move into testing now, and the text is already headed to Localization.

The dev team is keenly aware that there are Halloween items available only during a specific period (through November 4) and therefore they intend to do their darnedest to offer the new options in the next few days but certainly in advance of November 4th if humanly possible.

Now see that, THAT is a good response, none of this “soon” or “couple of weeks.” that let’s us know you guys are actually doing something and how seriously you take this. If there is one thing, especially gamers hate (least I think so) is vagueness. If you give us a date or at least a time frame, we know when to expect it. Then if something bad happens just say, something like, “Sorry guys, something unexpected happen, have to push the release back a bit.” I understand that you can’t give us too much info on things, you’re a game dev, you need to keep some things secretive, but this response was excellent. applause

Far as attractiveness goes, for something like this, long as it is useable i think people will be happy. If it was a skin or something I’d understand, but even if this custom gem amount interface is just a white box with some text I think people will be happy.

A knight in shining armor is a man who never had his metal truly tested.

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Not next year, no. Not months from now, no. It’s coming, and it’s coming very soon.

In fact, I’m going to a review in less than an hour, although that doesn’t set a release time quite yet.

What I wonder about is this: What if someone says something is coming “in the next couple of days” or “within the next week” or “by the end of the month” and then testing reveals an issue that delays the implementation? Would you rather hear something rather specific, like “in the next couple of days,” even while you know that it could change for reasons outside our control? Or would you rather hear “soon” and not have as solid an expectation, but also take on board that the implementation is a top priority (as was mentioned in the thread about the Currency Exchange changes)?

I feel that either answer isn’t perfect, so I’d welcome your insights. You should know that I truly do understand that “soon” is frustratingly vague and I argue against.. I mean, “I gently speak in favor of alternatives…” whenever we can use something more meaningful. On the other hand, saying something more specific can result in flaming “You promised it by XX time!” comments, because even a casual possible release time could be adopted as an absolute date/time/time zone promise.

Thoughts?

Hasn’t ArenaNet stated many times over the reason why you don’t give an exact time frame is because players would rage due to an unexpected delay? They would scream “You promised!” “You lied!” and so on.

Unexpected problems can, and sometimes do, occur which causes a delay. I think your “Soon™” is good enough. This gives you time to fix anything that might come up without everyone groaning about the update coming later than “promised”.

I have to say I was thinking of suggesting to keep the bulk amounts but also throw in a way to purchase exact amounts. I didn’t post my thoughts on the forums because I had a feeling that’s exactly what you would end up doing anyway. I only ever traded gold for gems once, but that was because I wanted to get an infinite use gathering tool and couldn’t buy gems with real money at the time and the item was available for a limited time. It’s nice to have more options just in case though. So thanks for everything.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Lets-talk-about-the-new-Gem-conversion-Merged/page/40#post4512464

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I saw the test of the new interface today and it looks solid to me. (I also happen to think it’s very attractive, but maybe that’s just me. )

The interface and Custom option move into testing now, and the text is already headed to Localization.

The dev team is keenly aware that there are Halloween items available only during a specific period (through November 4) and therefore they intend to do their darnedest to offer the new options in the next few days but certainly in advance of November 4th if humanly possible. (I have confidence this will happen.)

This is the type response I like to see. This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

I will go ahead and state this.

The entire implementation of this new system and the backlash afterwards has been a mistake and a waste of time. The amount of time wasted having to go back and re implement systems and choices could have been spent on other new improving developments.

Here’s a thought.

Rather than making things more difficult for people not spending money,

Why not I dunno.. MAKE IT EASIER for people TO spend money?

I know this sounds a little crazy for some people but bare with me here.

Proposal and Example:

The old currency conversion system was nice and interesting, I can convert whatever I want whenever I want and the graph was neat to look at.

Here’s a wild and wacky idea:

Since you guys only bill in monthly chunks anyways, why not duplicate this system and implement it for real money gem purchases, set a minimum purchase of 400 gems (at 5 dollars of course) and have a similar slider (under dollar and cents regulations) that allows me to buy whatever gems that I want?

so I can buy a clean 500 gems OR I can buy a clean 1000 gems or 600? (or even 4973 gems for all who cares) and just get the item that I desired? you know? make it EASIER for me to purchase what I want, make things CONVENIENT and APPROACHABLE. Isn’t that the goal of these gem store improvements? to make things much more INTUITIVE, ATTRACTIVE, and ACCESSIBLE? I don’t know about you guys but if I can just get what I want CLEAN I’d do it in a heart beat.

I know this sounds really really really really really crazy but think about it for a moment.

(edited by IllegalChocolate.6938)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

The dev team is keenly aware that there are Halloween items available only during a specific period (through November 4) and therefore they intend to do their darnedest to offer the new options in the next few days but certainly in advance of November 4th if humanly possible. (I have confidence this will happen.)

FWIW, this is the kind of info I like to hear.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

This is so helpful! And very glad to know they are trying to be mindful of the deadline for the sale, that’s nice.

And I like the interface of the new system a lot more, personally, just wanted the flexibility of the old one. And I know that it’s sometimes just not possible to integrate an old and new system together without even more work. So I’m looking forward to see what you get in place.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m extremely glad to hear that a custom amount option is coming. I don’t even care about whether it’s coming "soon"—I’m just glad it’s changing, and to hear about it. Despite occasional complaints, I do think people at Anet generally care about the players’ experiences, and I do think they’re open to constructive criticism like this.

For what it’s worth, I was always in favor of hearing about tentative plans, with the understanding that timetables can change, and that ideas can change as they’re developed. I’ve got a lot of faith in the dev team, but silence leaves people to assume the worst, that changes people don’t like were either made carelessly or intentionally.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I prefer “soon” to a specific date.

For certain types of products, specific dates make a lot of sense. We know that when apple says the iPhone 19.5 is coming out on Aug 10, 2105, it’s important to their bottom line to build up hype for that date. Similarly, it makes sense for ANet to announce the dates for major updates: Living Story returns 4 November or a new feature pack on a specific date.

In contrast bug fixes are something entirely different. These aren’t products, they are repairing things that aren’t working and I want them to be done right. When my dentist recently found a pocket of decay, she didn’t promise it could be resolved in a single visit, since the “proper” approach would depend on what sort of decay she found and how bad it was. So, she promised it would be fixed “soon.” Similarly, when ANet is changing something about the UI or fixing a mechanics bug, I don’t want them to promise until they know they have the solution nailed down tight.

As a compromise, I like some of the ideas above:

• Let us know the priority: “this is a high priority and urgent fix” would get quicker attention than “this is a medium priority, non-urgent fix affecting only a few people.”
  • Let us know the progress: “analysis is still progressing” vs “we have a solution that is being coded” vs “we’re in quality assurance” vs “it’s scheduled for the next build” vs "we have a date.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Surprised people are upset when Anet uses “soon?” You shouldn’t be. Anet abuses that word on a regular basis.

Why do you think people regularly use the the “tm,” as in: “soon™” to mock Anet’s usage of that word.

Next you’ll be surprised to hear that people roll their eyes whenever Anet uses “exciting.”

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

Ok. So let me wrap my head around this. Thread is started because new item comes into the store for 300 gems. Minimum cash to gem purchase is 800 gems. Minimum gold to gem purchase has a floor of 400 gems. This scenario is bad. We get word that we can soon convert gold to gems again with no minimum gem purchase requirement. But cash shop is still minimum 800 gem purchase. This scenario is good? That desired item is still going to be 300 gems. Cash shop still has a high gem purchase requirement.The pricing is still designed to promote leftover gems. And Anet still tunes generation of wealth within the game on a regular basis.

In other words, I just don’t understand why people choose to believe that the gold to gems option is some primary design consideration in cash shop pricing. If anything, it’s a contradiction. A convenient one, but a contradiction nonetheless. We are very fortunate that they are giving the gold to gems option back because few other cash shops in mmos offer this level of flexibility for a reason.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I think the key here would be kind of like a rolling, constant updates process, Gaile (although I understand if it’s unfeasible due to the amount of work required).

For example, threads like this about hot button topics (gem purchase limits, changes to the Personal Story chapters) could get frequent updates about the current status of the issue. That way, the players feel like they’re being kept in the loop and not simply forgotten about. It’s a bit like having a case/account manager, to use a banking analogy! The players feel like they’re being part of a conversation and not simply a number in the system being dictated to on the bank’s own terms.

Of course, like I said, this would require a lot more work and communication from your side, so I understand if it’s not something that can be done easily, but I feel that would be the ideal situation.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

This’ll be the 3rd time Gaile today I’ve said thank you, your on a role

Server: Gate of Madness

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

;) In the immortal words of Jeff Goldblum …

Attachments:

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

What if someone says something is coming “in the next couple of days” or “within the next week” or “by the end of the month” and then testing reveals an issue that delays the implementation?

Then you come on the forums and say:

“Hey guys, testing revealed problems with implementations. The problems that we can tell you about are this, this, and this. We have to now alter our time table because of these problems. Our new deadline is shooting for several days/weeks/whatever from today. We will be sure to keep you guys updated should anything change again.”

Seriously, Gaile, you are like, the most awesome person ever at ANet. But this whole communication thing isn’t rocket science.

Less problems arise with deadlines so long as you actually keep people informed when those deadlines aren’t met, and you keep them informed in a -timely- manner.

Would you rather hear something rather specific, like “in the next couple of days,” even while you know that it could change for reasons outside our control? Or would you rather hear “soon” and not have as solid an expectation

Here’s the thing about “soon”. Because of all the companies that have used “soon” and yet never delivered, “soon” has lost -all- meaning. “Soon” now, in MMO terms, means “probably never going to happen”.

You guys at ANet can’t keep ignoring that “soon” doesn’t mean what you think it means anymore when it comes to the MMO market.

Posted by: Afton.1326

Afton.1326

Considering that the change that led to this problem should not have even come close to being implemented, any fix of it should have happened yesterday as far as expectations go for anyone who cares about this.

If a task is to be done, consider who is available to do it, what is needed to assure its proper functioning, and estimate how long it should take to do this – and factor in more time for contingencies. I cannot believe that the time needed for task completion would be so unfathomable that it couldn’t be estimated within a week (after 2 years of your production of this game). If this is a problem, consider investing some of your income from BL chests into proper manpower and organization.

Even if Anet does not have the resources to fix the problem quickly, not being able to give a seemingly forthright response about when it will be done just puts more salt in the wound.

Nothing personal meant here. The problems are obviously systemic.

Posted by: Cross.6437

Cross.6437

Not next year, no. Not months from now, no. It’s coming, and it’s coming very soon.

In fact, I’m going to a review in less than an hour, although that doesn’t set a release time quite yet.

What I wonder about is this: What if someone says something is coming “in the next couple of days” or “within the next week” or “by the end of the month” and then testing reveals an issue that delays the implementation? Would you rather hear something rather specific, like “in the next couple of days,” even while you know that it could change for reasons outside our control? Or would you rather hear “soon” and not have as solid an expectation, but also take on board that the implementation is a top priority (as was mentioned in the thread about the Currency Exchange changes)?

I feel that either answer isn’t perfect, so I’d welcome your insights. You should know that I truly do understand that “soon” is frustratingly vague and I argue against.. I mean, “I gently speak in favor of alternatives…” whenever we can use something more meaningful. On the other hand, saying something more specific can result in flaming “You promised it by XX time!” comments, because even a casual possible release time could be adopted as an absolute date/time/time zone promise.

Thoughts?

The answer is to revert to the old system that worked while the new one is being fixed. Instead of leaving the one in the game that makes everyone feel like they’re being used.

I agree with this one with a small addition.

Because it seems so obvious to us that this is the logical choice (simply reverting it), next time something like this happens, could you explain in simple terms why reverting it is not an option?

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

Thoughts?

I would like to hear exactly what you wrote. Tell us that it’s under testing, and there’s a chance it’ll be delayed because of an issue, if that seems like the case. As openly as you can without going into details.

I don’t want to hear anymore “soon”, it’s kinda becoming a joke in of itself.

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

Give us an ETA, emphasis on the E.

When people complain that the ETA was not exact, remind them that estimates are not promises! You could even include that reminder after every estimate. Something like this.

Hi guys,

Don’t worry, this change is in review right now. It will probably be released in the next few days (remember: estimates are not promises). We’ll keep you informed.

-Hypothetical Anet Dev

If a player reads a post like that, and comes back five days later demanding that Anet make good on their promise, it is only because of that player’s stupidity. I hope that the community will address that player’s comments without Anet needed it intervene at all.

This is very sensible. Thanks for the input.

Definitely definitely prefer something specific to soon. I mean, if you give us an estimate and then notify us that its changed, that’s twice we’ve heard a real honest answer. :-)

I like that too. Thank you.

Hello Gaile,

Like the above posters, I think that a timeframe would be a good way to announce estimated release dates, with an additional big blinking warning in flame letters that it is only an estimate and the release date may be pushed back would a bug be found during testing.

You may also make use of the old trick that consists in announcing a release date one week after current estimate. Players will (should) be even more grateful when updates are released earlier than they expect.

Best regards

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Thank you, Gaile. This is the sort of response that will help. This is the kind of thing Anet should be doing more of over all.

If Anet annouces something and it doesn’t meet the scheduled annoucement, people will be disappointed. But if Anet announces nothing, people will fill in the blanks with a worst case scenario.

I honestly believe it would be better for Anet to release information more regularly, even if some people will take estimates as promises.

I don’t believe most of us are that unfair.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Considering that the change that led to this problem should not have even come close to being implemented, any fix of it should have happened yesterday as far as expectations go for anyone who cares about this.

If a task is to be done, consider who is available to do it, what is needed to assure its proper functioning, and estimate how long it should take to do this – and factor in more time for contingencies. I cannot believe that the time needed for task completion would be so unfathomable that it couldn’t be estimated within a week (after 2 years of your production of this game). If this is a problem, consider investing some of your income from BL chests into proper manpower and organization.

Even if Anet does not have the resources to fix the problem quickly, not being able to give a seemingly forthright response about when it will be done just puts more salt in the wound.

Seriously? Releasing a new build into Production is not simply a matter of allocating resources to develop it and estimating how long it will take to build. There will be processes that have to be followed (some of which Gaile has already mentioned, such as localization) that make it a lot harder to estimate a possible release date.

The problems are obviously systemic? How so? The change is likely to be released in the next few days, if so, this will mean that Anet would have taken less than two weeks to design the solution and implement it into the live environment in response to the negative feedback from the CE revamp.

This time-frame is perfectly reasonable given this is not a game-breaking bug that requires an emergency fix. Yes, it is important to people (myself included, my last gold → gem purchase was for 250 gems), but from Gaile’s statements it’s obvious that ANet are giving it a high priority, so I’m failing to see any “obviously systemic” problems.

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

Thank you Gaile, this is an excellent example of how information should be given to players.

It addresses several concerns at once, in very efficient and easily understandable manner. It even provides very detailed information (which probably won’t say much to many but it’s still nice to be there). Also, you answer proactively to some further questions that may arise.

Please, in the future, give information on similar way, when and where-ever possible. Big thumbs up!

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I too am tempted to get that new candy corn gobbler item simply for the possible wxp boosts (nevermind the fact that I have an extra 600 something ranks with nothing to spend them on cause I’ve maxed all the ranks anyway lol – but I’ll take as much wxp as humanly possible).

However, like others have said, I don’t want to buy 400 gems when I only need 300. So if the conversion thing isn’t fixed by the time this item is taken off the TP and gone forever, I will just have to miss out.

Still wondering whether to buy the candy corn gobbler or not (no matter how long the gem conversion update takes) because I’ll eventually run out of candy corn and who knows how much it’ll cost me by next year, so I don’t know :-/ I hear the boosts are worth it cause they stack, but still worried about candy corn and how much it’ll cost in the future for it to be worth it or not.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

Thoughts?

I would preffer an estimate rather than “soon”, please. This is a good example:

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

This is just about best case in terms of announcing future items.

Work has actually been done and moved towards release, rather than merely being on someone’s to do list. It’s not just some soothing words to calm the restless natives.

It’s not that soon is vague, it’s that it’s become truly meaningless in online and MMO terms, frequently followed by “TM” to reflect the irony.

eg WvW Achievements were acknowledged to be ludicrous, and a fix coming “soon” around a year ago. Nothing happened, and it reinforced the worthlessness of soon. Better to have said nothing until someone was actually tasked with adjusting the numbers. As changes go it would have been one of the simplest ones.

So the problem is distinguishing the soon that means soon from the soon that means never :p

Thoughts?

I’d hope to hear some follow-up on cases where soon turned out to be never. Something changed, so if possible provide insight. Even something as simple as deciding resolving server hangs or lag to be more important than wvw achievements right now, so sorry this is on hold again…

Better is the more concrete example you gave above – work has been done, it’s moved to testing and localisation. That’s a “soon” that can be reasonably believed to mean something and should actually happen. So it’s meaningful.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Hello Gaile,

Like the above posters, I think that a timeframe would be a good way to announce estimated release dates, with an additional big blinking warning in flame letters that it is only an estimate and the release date may be pushed back would a bug be found during testing.

You may also make use of the old trick that consists in announcing a release date one week after current estimate. Players will (should) be even more grateful when updates are released earlier than they expect.

Best regards

That trick wouldn’t work in this special case however, since people want to have
it back before the end of Halloween. So saying 2 weeks in this case will only
bring out the torches and pitchforks again ^^

Else however, i personally also often use that when people ask me how long it
would take to develop something, and at least the people that actual use that
programs are happy with that.

On the other hand, people in meetings are more happy when somebody say :
ohh .. no problem .. that just takes some hours / days .. and in the end they don’t
even deliver after 6 months .. while i’m the evil one if i say : hmm .. hard to say,
it may take 1-2 months .. and then i’m ready after 1-2 weeks.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

Thing is, you have NO EXCUSE for taking longer than a day to implement these changes. Nothing was broken. You “fixed” something that didn’t need fixing and you fixed it to rip people off. It isn’t good enough for you to spend the next however many weeks fixing the idiotic kitten you broke in the first place.

Here’s what you should have done: You say you’re very sorry for trying to rip everyone off and you now realise your customers aren’t blind idiots. Then you immediately remove the kitten you changed and return it to how it was.

If you want to then kitten about with a new interface or design, go ahead, waste more dev time on kitten no one cares about, but don’t inconvenience players more than you already have due to your cash grabbing tactics.

And the fact that you are conveniently not fixing it before a lot of items go off sale is clear to everyone. Perhaps you knew there would be backlash but figured it’d be worth it for some added halloween profits at least, but maybe I give you far too much credit and you are just completely out of touch.

You broke it, you fix it, you set a deadline, you stick to it. The end. If you all had regular jobs and worked like this you’d have been fired by now.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

Since you’ve already seen the new UI, you can surely tell us if the exchange graph is coming back too?

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Definitely definitely prefer something specific to soon. I mean, if you give us an estimate and then notify us that its changed, that’s twice we’ve heard a real honest answer. :-)

Gayle, I think he nailed it.

It’s better to be frustrated at errors found in development than being frustrated against you guys.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

What happened to all the “lack of Anet communication” posts where “all we want is to know you are looking into it” is all people want to know. So, now you get a post saying they are working on it and now that is not enough?

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Appreciate the response. I’m planning quite a bit of gem exchange/purchase so getting the fix done soon is a win-win

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

This right here is -precisely- the kind of detail I’d like to see in terms of content scheduling, expectations, and confidences.

Even if the answer is displeasing or seems far off, a more concrete answer than “soon” is always appreciated in the long run. Most of us are aware development takes time and that priorities must be balanced, but providing a period of time in which we can expect to see it is an excellent decision, If I may say so myself.

thank you VERY much.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: lilz shorty.1879

lilz shorty.1879

Wow where has this kind of information and response from the devs about possible upcoming features/releases been for the PAST 2 YEARS. Omg lol…..its enough to make me cry.

This. THIS is what we as a community have been asking for since the beginning of time so we don’t feel out of the loop and just hoping/waiting.

Who knew that this whole situation about the gems would’ve brought something good out of it. You should tell ALL of Anet to give responses like that.

“Morfeus X” || Team: Apex Prime
“Best Guardian NA”

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Gaile, yes, thank you!!! No more “soon”!!!

For so long we’ve all been treated like trolls because you think some players won’t understand “we encountered a problem” (or the even better “we encountered problem X”).

Now, if you could talk the policy makers into letting you give us a non-vague answer to “When is SAB coming back” and “When are traits going to be fixed” then that would be awesome

So much bad-faith on the forum will disappear if we just have a clue as to what on Earth is happening.

Posted by: Terrasque.8735

Terrasque.8735

The dev team is keenly aware that there are Halloween items available only during a specific period (through November 4) and therefore they intend to do their darnedest to offer the new options in the next few days but certainly in advance of November 4th if humanly possible.

In the mean time, please change the list of gem choices to something more reasonable

(edited by Terrasque.8735)

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Just a suggestion:
as an olive branch, perhaps your team might consider extending all the sales of Halloween items by the number of days the redesigned UI impacted the players’ ability to buy gems in custom amounts?

Posted by: Wolfheart.1879

Wolfheart.1879

Thoughts?

The problem with a vague timescale is that its very flexible for Anet while keeping us in the dark. If I remember right, Traits were to be looked into and got back to us on with a view to tweak the system that makes it better for us, and that it would be done “soon”. That was some months ago, and while it is possible I’ve missed the subsequent response, there has been to my knowledge no meaningful response since.

Anet may tell us its high priority, but without a planned timescale, and considering the recent and serious communication failures, we have no trust that it is high priority, and no real belief it will be “soon” unless talking soon in geological terms.

Personally, I’m in favour of something such as, “We have been working on Issue A, and hope to have a fix within the next two weeks, provided there are no setbacks.” And then if necessary come back and say, when you find out it will be delayed, “We’ve run into a technical hiccup. We are sorry for the delay but we aim to roll it out the week after now.”. Certainly, it will draw some ire to use what some will no doubt call delaying tactics, but a far more open policy in addressing our concerns will for the most part do wonders. As with so many issues the community has, so much of it can be solved by Anet being more open and transparent with us. The oblique references and near-constant “I’m sorry but we can’t discuss it” responses aren’t great communication and do nothing to instill confidence and trust with us.

That said, I’m very happy that the aim is to rollout the update to the conversion system in the next week, and hope it does. Again, though, the need to fix it now and drawing the rage of the community could have been avoided if we had a chance to critique the idea before it was implemented.

Divinity’s Reach is home to some top-tier criminal masterminds.
The kind of people who will set an orphanage on fire after locking themselves inside it.

Posted by: Lady Elvea.2847

Lady Elvea.2847

Not giving any useful information by saying “soon” kittenes off everybody. Saying “in a couple days” and then it taking a week because of unexpected issues only kittenes off the unreasonable people.
-The unreasonable people will complain no matter what you do
-The reasonable people will understand

Why kitten off both parties?

Despite the onslaught of “kittens” in this post, I get it. I only hope that the number of raesonables is far, far greater than the unreasonables.

KITTENS! <3

To be fair, Gaile… once upon a time on a wiki talk page far, far away, I commented on the silliness of the GW1 in-game language filter and why I turned it off. I recall that this led to you going in game to call target on the kitten ed Cleric foe (I’m expecting to see fur in that phrase!) to see for yourself only to come back and acknowledge that it may just be a little bit flawed.

If you recall this too, even if only vaguely… then you should know and be able to see for yourself regularly that the GW2 filter on the forums is far more flawed than even the GW1 filter ever was. Don’t get me wrong, I love the use of the word “kitten” as a replacement, but I’m seeing it in a LOT of places here when it clearly is an intrusion on a legitimate, harmless (part of a) word or phrase.

In some cases (especially with phrases going furry) it’s easy to work out which apparently awful word was replaced with a little ball of fur. Not all of them are equally shocking or bad. So please keep that in mind before you judge someone on the amount of meowing you see in one post, even if there’s an awful lot of it.

Button? Butterfly? Assassin? (Just curious, sorry!)

More on topic… glad you’re keeping everyone updated on this, even if you’re a little vague here and there. Thanks for all your efforts!

Posted by: Afton.1326

Afton.1326

Seriously? Releasing a new build into Production is not simply a matter of allocating resources to develop it and estimating how long it will take to build. There will be processes that have to be followed (some of which Gaile has already mentioned, such as localization) that make it a lot harder to estimate a possible release date.

The problems are obviously systemic? How so? The change is likely to be released in the next few days, if so, this will mean that Anet would have taken less than two weeks to design the solution and implement it into the live environment in response to the negative feedback from the CE revamp.

This time-frame is perfectly reasonable given this is not a game-breaking bug that requires an emergency fix. Yes, it is important to people (myself included, my last gold -> gem purchase was for 250 gems), but from Gaile’s statements it’s obvious that ANet are giving it a high priority, so I’m failing to see any “obviously systemic” problems.

This is less relevant now but I will try to explain it since you asked:

Giving “soon” as an estimation of when a key change will take place, is very poor.

Whatever the process of making this change involves, Anet should be able to estimate to within a week (i.e., not necessarily carry out within a week) of when it will be expected to be completed. Not being able to give this sort of precision would indicate to me that it is simply not prioritized enough. For a company not to be able to produce and reveal such a working deadline, even with all the contingencies taken into account, reflects poor management or a lack of priority or, othewise, perhaps a lack of transparency.

The systemic aspect concerns all of the above, as oppossed to an individual. I presume it wasn’t just Gaile’s fault, or any other hard-working individual at Anet’s fault, but that something in their organization wasn’t working effectively if being able to produce a more specific time was impossible for this type of task. There are of course tasks in this world that are difficult to estimate with any precision, but I don’t buy that this sort of task should fall into that category (for a company that has their act together).

This was all addressing the discussion of “soon” being an acceptable timeframe.

However, if I understand correctly, they have been more specific about when the fix will happen. This is good. If they are able to fix this within the next few days, that is good. Notwithstanding that when they announced the fix, it should have included an estimation of when it will be ready (e.g., within “7 days” or in “7-10 days” ) and then make sure that that deadline is met.

tl;dr: Anet should be able do be more specific than “soon” when it comes to when critical/highly anticipated changes shoud be expected. Regarding this fix in particular, good if they actually get it done within a few days – just be more specific in the future about when it can be expected.

(edited by Afton.1326)

Posted by: SRoode.7318

SRoode.7318

This should have been an easy fix IMO, it’s a reversion basically. They will make a big deal about it (as they have), change it in the last minute with the clock running, and see the gems pour in.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

How can we take anything that Arenanet says seriously when they’re currently having a 3 days sale with items that cost 600, 130, and four hundred fifty five (the number is censored) gems.

(edited by Haishao.6851)

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Thoughts?

Gaile, I think it’s fair to say that most of the players of this game, not to mention forum users, are past the saturation point of Soon™. This is extremely unspecified, and depending on whom you hear this from, can indeed mean months or years.

The commonsense way to go about this is as follows:

• A new build with certain features is getting ready to be tested, compiled and shipped (if that’s the order)
  • We hear from you in the typical we’re very excited tone that we’re accustomed to, but others have grown immune to thanks to past disappointments. Usually based on this, something is getting ready for release in the next cycle
  • Something goes wrong somewhere, or needs to be amended along the way and will hold up the build that’s nearly ready for ship.
  • Instead of us getting all up in arms about how no one communicates about something that should have been in the patch, say to us what will and what will not be included in this patch, rather than waiting for release notes once the patch hits.
  • People will be far more understanding and level-headed about the nature of this communication, as opposed to the reactionary stance you have to take if you said nothing and instead just put it in the patch notes.

Does this make sense? Would this be something you can do? I can’t guarantee, but I’m pretty sure you’d have far less people complaining about what’s being released and what’s not if you give us a to-do list of what’s in the next patch. If something can’t be added, put a strikethrough in that section with a brief comment as to why. Seems easy, and will be a lot easier on you and the devs who would otherwise be copping the same heat you get from us in the forums.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

This is less relevant now but I will try to explain it since you asked:

Giving “soon” as an estimation of when a key change will take place, is very poor.

Thanks for explanation of your reasoning, but I don’t agree with it fully. I do agree that “soon” isn’t an acceptable estimate for key changes, but I don’t believe this fix/update qualifies as such.

Whatever the process of making this change involves, Anet should be able to estimate to within a week (i.e., not necessarily carry out within a week) of when it will be expected to be completed. Not being able to give this sort of precision would indicate to me that it is simply not prioritized enough. For a company not to be able to produce and reveal such a working deadline, even with all the contingencies taken into account, reflects poor management or a lack of priority or, othewise, perhaps a lack of transparency.

I’ll go with option C on this. If you haven’t noticed, ANet have been copping a lot of flak on the forums about their lack of transparency. While I believe they have started to turn things around, this lack of precision about release dates for fixes of this nature has been part of their policy for a long time.

Just because we haven’t been told of these estimates, it doesn’t necessarily follow that they were never produced.

The systemic aspect concerns all of the above, as oppossed to an individual. I presume it wasn’t just Gaile’s fault, or any other hard-working individual at Anet’s fault, but that something in their organization wasn’t working effectively if being able to produce a more specific time was impossible for this type of task. There are of course tasks in this world that are difficult to estimate with any precision, but I don’t buy that this sort of task should fall into that category (for a company that has their act together).

This was all addressing the discussion of “soon” being an acceptable timeframe.

I do know what systemic problems are, but I would be hesitant to try to diagnose the internal workings of a company from the outside. There is a problem here, but IMO it’s related to how progress on desired fixes/updates are communicated to the player base, and that seems to me to be more of a problem of policy rather than systems/processes.

However, if I understand correctly, they have been more specific about when the fix will happen. This is good. If they are able to fix this within the next few days, that is good. Notwithstanding that when they announced the fix, it should have included an estimation of when it will be ready (e.g., within “7 days” or in “7-10 days” ) and then make sure that that deadline is met.

So you’re happy to get an estimation of when it will be ready, but ANet must make sure that estimation is met?

tl;dr: Anet should be able do be more specific than “soon” when it comes to when critical/highly anticipated changes shoud be expected. Regarding this fix in particular, good if they actually get it done within a few days – just be more specific in the future about when it can be expected.

Based on what I’ve observed, for a critical change, ANet usually state that it’s being worked on and deploy the new build to live as soon as possible, so I’m fine with “soon” in these cases.

I do agree it would be good to get more specific time-frames for highly anticipated changes such as this one (due to expiring gem store sales), but just knowing what stage of development a desired change is at, or that it is being actively worked on would help in cases where ANet aren’t willing to communicate their own internal estimates.

Terrasque.8735

I wish they would at least put in a temporary workaround and change the choices we got to more reasonable values.

Posted by: Syzygy.5031

Syzygy.5031

I wish they would at least put in a temporary workaround and change the choices we got to more reasonable values.

Read reddit to discover that they could have put up a temporary fix in about 5 minutes.

Not a perfect fix for sure, but enough to cool 90% of the objections until proper fix was made.

In short the API is already fully dynamic and the conversion values could easily have been changed server side to allow conversion amounts of say 10, 100, 400 and 2000 gems.

TL;DR There is NO technical reason why this could not have been adjusted in moments.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

But would people really be happy about it?

It would still be static values, there would still be certain values that people would want that would not exist and so on.

Why waste time (even if it is only a couple of minutes (which would not actually be the case due to meetings and such in order to decide which values to put in)) and change it instead of just focusing everything on getting the change that they told us they would do?

IF they simply change the numbers the amount of raging about them lying and not doing what promised would be massive, even if it was only temporary. Changing the values multiple times over a few weeks would probably create more rage and confusing that simply waiting until the real fix is ready.

As for the reddit thread (I am still waiting for the OP of that thread to post it here) it is based on information only obtainable by doing stuff that would get you very banned quite fast ^^

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

But would people really be happy about it?

It would still be static values, there would still be certain values that people would want that would not exist and so on.

Why waste time (even if it is only a couple of minutes (which would not actually be the case due to meetings and such in order to decide which values to put in)) and change it instead of just focusing everything on getting the change that they told us they would do?

Why waste time ? Just to make people happy ?

And it would help a lot i think if people could buy at least in small increments like
10 or 100 as long as the “real” fix isn’t ready.

And yes .. as a webdeveloper myself i would also say its really just 5 minutes maybe
to change that, and there is als no need to patch the client.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Yes, the change itself doesn’t take long. But a developer can’t just decide to do it just like that. There are decisions that needs to be made and so on. So the total time for the actual change would be much higher than just the coding part.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: sendaf.8375

sendaf.8375

Thing is, you have NO EXCUSE for taking longer than a day to implement these changes. Nothing was broken. You “fixed” something that didn’t need fixing and you fixed it to rip people off. It isn’t good enough for you to spend the next however many weeks fixing the idiotic kitten you broke in the first place.

My problem is not the communication. My issue is that this NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM TO BEGIN WITH! We had a system that worked well and you literally broke it. You made it worse. And don’t lie to us that you did not do it intentionally. Hitting us with this during one of the busiest times of the year, without even a word of warning that there would be a change, and then releasing new items which abuse the broken system you recently implemented is BAD BUSINESS.

This is not something I would have expected from Anet based off of my experiences in GW1.

Gaile I remember celebrating Halloween with you in Lion’s Arch in GW1 and I remember being sad saying bye to you when you left that game. I trust you. I am sure you are relaying our discontent to your higher ups. What your company just did is a PR nightmare and there is no way that the team designing this “improved system” did not realize this in the weeks or months spent designing it.

Terrasque.8735

Yes, the change itself doesn’t take long. But a developer can’t just decide to do it just like that. There are decisions that needs to be made and so on. So the total time for the actual change would be much higher than just the coding part.

They made a decision to keep the current 400, 800, 1200, 2000 values. They were faced with enormous backlash, and decided to keep the existing values, and spend weeks doing something new that may or may not be done before the Halloween sales ends.

They’re not seeing this as bug.. Correction, they are not seeing it as a fault. They see it as a feature, and now they’re making a new feature to please the players. They don’t see the problem with it, they see it as a good thing, and now they see themselves making a better thing.

If they did see it as a problem, it would have been fixed – one way or another – a day or two after. Just like a game crashing bug would have been fixed.

Posted by: Phenn.5167

Phenn.5167

Yep. I’m with the peeps that say:

1. Estimated time frame for a release of any kind with specific dates.
  2. Acknowledgement that, should the release be changed due to any kind of complication, the players will be notified ASAP.
  3. When change does come (let’s face it—it probably will), quick notification sent to the forums.

Problem more or less solved right there.