Communicating with you

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chris Whiteside.6102

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

A question for you, Chris.

Can you confirm whether or not there has been any discussion about player feedback about…

- the new trait system
- the megaserver
- roleplaying and what seems to be Anets attempt to destroy it?

Cheers!

Hi Guzzi,

I don’t want to want to derail the thread, but yes absolutely we have discussed player feedback about these areas of the game.

But seriously let’s not derail the thread.

Chris

Communicating with you

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Big fan of the CDIs. Glad to hear they’re coming back. I know I’ve been more than sarcastic about a few things lately, but.. genuinely, we’ve also seen a lot of cool things come from them.

Keep the communication coming. The back and forth is worth it – in tangible and intangible ways. In a sheer dollars and cents kinda way, too.

Roger that!

Chris

Communicating with you

Posted by: DriV.6203

DriV.6203

I really dont get it. It is like neverending dream. You are claiming you are all playing and watching and still it feels like most of a-net were reassigned to different project!

Community wanted more options with commanders from release, after two bloody years we get… changeable colours!

Players want you to change Ranger from release as it is one of the poorest designed class all about #1, after two years… Ranger is still crap.

Players want you to impoved Necromancer disengage and survival/sustain from release as it is also badly designed class thx to stupid death shroud mechanic. Afrer two years we get dhumfire and thx to it necro condis were nerfed and then dhuumfire itself was removed to DS #1 leaving necromancer nothing to compensate!
I just hope that those changes in necro feature patch will not left him useless and broken for another 6 months!

WvW community wanted GvG as it is only possible esport that can be introduced in this game. After two years we get obsidian sanctum thx to A-net employe who interfered into solely community managed gvg! (without this incident, www guild would still have to play their gvgs near south mill)

Orb of powers thx to hackers were removed instead of fixing them so they cannot be exploited! (it is realy easy to remove something than to find some solution for it)
After that we get bloodlust which is mostly deserted or no one is capping it as a-net forgot to give any reward for it…

NO a-net, you do a realy poor job reading the forum or playing this game and finding out, what the community wants and what makes a lot of players angry!
I would be sooo ashamed to introduce only changeable colour for commanders after two god kitten years! A shameful display!

Drivi | Necro Raiders [NR]
Gandara
http://www.necroraiders.net/en/

(edited by DriV.6203)

Communicating with you

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

Hi Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the forums, it means a lot.

I’m afraid you did not elaborate on Anet’s position, this information has been stated before and nobody doubts you guys wanting to create great content.

The past has shown that many decision were made that seemed like obvious mistakes, such as temporary content, the atlas, short stories/lore outside of the game or most recent the commander tags.

What happened after the announcement that a legendary scavenger hunt is being looked at, is unfortunate. The resulting policy of not giving speculative information because you don’t want anybody to suffer only makes sense to me if it is in the context of individual features. I don’t think that you can equate the scavenger hunt with the commander tags for instance. Doing so feels like overreacting to me.

If you don’t talk about small features before adding them, some of those will receive a large amount of negative feedback which then will cause you to allocate precious time to fixing those things, that could have been prevented in the first place.

Arenanet has a lot of very intelligent people, based on the product I can play. But it sometimes feels like you work under too much regulation created by yourselves. Also, dev testing doesn’t show flaws in the system as well as some sort of public testing. No Dev could ever play nearly as much as some users.
Which is great, as this means there is more work put into the game. It also means that there might be unnecessary work put into the game.
Everybody wants a different better game but if you can find the common interests of the enthusiast player base, that has improve your workflow somehow.

There have been changes made in how the teams work on the Living Story, maybe it is worth revisiting your policies once a year and reevaluate them as one year is a lot of time online.
What people here also want to tell you is that they believe it would help you create a better game for everybody. The CDI threads have shown that constructive feedback is readily available.

Unrelated to most but, I’d just like to add that the treatment the mac community has been getting regarding a mac native client is downright offending. It is not ok. We are paying customers and we are being completely and utterly ignored for the longest time. Please have somebody look into this. I’m not exaggerating if I say the strongest feeling towards this kind of treatment is disgust and disbelieve at the fact that this kind of treatment still exists. The negative impact seems to be way bigger than the benefit you are getting from falsely advertising the game for more than windows. There are users from other language forums trying to reach somebody because their situation is even worse.

Thanks again for taking your time.

Communicating with you

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Can you confirm whether or not there has been any discussion about player feedback about…

- the new trait system
- the megaserver

Cheers!

Hi Guzzi,

I don’t want to want to derail the thread, but yes absolutely we have discussed player feedback about these areas of the game.

Chris

Actually, thanks for derailing the thread, at least in the sense of good vibes. Glad to hear from a Dev again. One that takes his/her personal time to respond. Maybe Mike can go home and let the blah blah wash over him now. I know i feel better

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Communicating with you

Posted by: Decently Evil.9648

Decently Evil.9648

I know some are concerned about whether ArenaNet is communicating with you and listening and responding to your feedback. As you saw with yesterday’s announcement, we do. All of us at ArenaNet play the game with you, chat with you and read your forum posts, and work on the things that we think will most delight and entertain you.

We’ve set a clear policy in the past year: we don’t talk speculatively about future development. We don’t want to string you along. Creating fun is an uncertain business: sometimes things work out and sometimes they don’t; sometimes we go back to the drawing board over and over before we get something right. If we make optimistic promises and then can’t deliver on them, everyone suffers. So when we attend a trade show or give an interview, we’re there to talk about what we’re getting ready to ship, not to speculate on what we might ship someday.

Don’t read that as meaning that we don’t want to talk with you about the longer-term roadmap. The intention of the CDI threads is to talk with you about the roadmap. We want to talk design philosophy with you and hear how you want to see the game evolve. When those discussions trigger development, we’ll work internally until we have something we’re proud of before we’ll announce it.

A lot of the questions I’ve seen posted this week are as simple as this: does ArenaNet have an agenda to never do something? That’s almost never the case, and if it is the case you deserve to know and we’ll make sure we get more clear. In general the simple truth is this: when we’re not currently working on something, it’s because we’re working on something else instead that we think is more important for the game and community.

Our developers post on these forums on a voluntary basis, and in addition to developers, we have a community team who can clarify and be the bridge between players and developers. They’re ready to engage you on these topics. And I know it’s hard for the community team to engage players across all the forums and sites where these questions are being discussed, so I’m going to support the team in consolidating and focusing as necessary, so that we can be clear to the community where you can go to get a response.

See you in-game,
Mike O’Brien

What he really means is:
“We don’t have much to talk about because we’re not doing much and our excuse for this is that we don’t want to make any false promises”

So…when you weren’t working on the changes to WvW that players thought were vital for the survival of the game mode, you were working on a golem mastery line and one new trick? That’s more important than the various bugs, exploits, ridiculous achievements that you admitted were out of line, and generally making any meaningful gameplay change or incentive for players to start playing WvW?

Or was the past 7 months (since EotM release) devoted to pondering over what colour commander tags you would introduce.

It’s fine if you don’t talk us regularly Anet. But when you make barely any changes at all to a feature which most consider to be a vital part of the gw2 experience, don’t be surprised when people question you.

I appreciate this post, and i apologize if i’m going too far, but the lack of meaningful changes to anything except your living story is quite alarming.

(edited by Decently Evil.9648)

Communicating with you

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

Hi All,

There have been a number of questions about when the CDI will spin up again.

The answer is shortly after our next Feature Pack is released.

Looking forward to collaborating with you all and having some awesome discussions.

Chris

I can see the future.
CDI threads started.
MANY MANY posts by us forumgoers, some good idea some bad ideas.
The good ones get repeated, people talk over what would need to be changed to keep it from hurting the game/economy.
No Dev input.
People keep posting and posting feeling like no one is listening.
Next feature pack has nothing from the CDI’s people freak out.

Just calling it now.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

Communicating with you

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I know some are concerned about whether ArenaNet is communicating with you and listening and responding to your feedback. As you saw with yesterday’s announcement, we do. All of us at ArenaNet play the game with you, chat with you and read your forum posts, and work on the things that we think will most delight and entertain you.

We’ve set a clear policy in the past year: we don’t talk speculatively about future development. We don’t want to string you along. Creating fun is an uncertain business: sometimes things work out and sometimes they don’t; sometimes we go back to the drawing board over and over before we get something right. If we make optimistic promises and then can’t deliver on them, everyone suffers. So when we attend a trade show or give an interview, we’re there to talk about what we’re getting ready to ship, not to speculate on what we might ship someday.

Don’t read that as meaning that we don’t want to talk with you about the longer-term roadmap. The intention of the CDI threads is to talk with you about the roadmap. We want to talk design philosophy with you and hear how you want to see the game evolve. When those discussions trigger development, we’ll work internally until we have something we’re proud of before we’ll announce it.

A lot of the questions I’ve seen posted this week are as simple as this: does ArenaNet have an agenda to never do something? That’s almost never the case, and if it is the case you deserve to know and we’ll make sure we get more clear. In general the simple truth is this: when we’re not currently working on something, it’s because we’re working on something else instead that we think is more important for the game and community.

Our developers post on these forums on a voluntary basis, and in addition to developers, we have a community team who can clarify and be the bridge between players and developers. They’re ready to engage you on these topics. And I know it’s hard for the community team to engage players across all the forums and sites where these questions are being discussed, so I’m going to support the team in consolidating and focusing as necessary, so that we can be clear to the community where you can go to get a response.

See you in-game,
Mike O’Brien

Mike: We’ve heard this before, you know. Other than actually admitting that the devs have been muzzled on upcoming works, this is pretty much all stuff we’ve heard before. And the communication has never gotten better.

Now, I’m not saying you’re lying. Maybe you’re serious. But it’s easy to see what happens. Crunch time approaches, and people get shifted from less critical endeavors to more time-sensitive ones, or ones they’re the most suited person for. Things roll on, shifting and adjusting continues, and you’re suddenly back to square one and nobody’s been talking or working on Project X for far too long. If you really want to talk with us, this has to stop. And that’s WITH us, not AT us. There’s a difference that you guys seem to miss far too often.

My Fellow Players: Do please remember that they have China to deal with now, as well. What they want and what we want may not mesh very well, and I don’t think we’ll be the winners in that conflict.

I’m sure there’s some devs at ANet that care about the same things we care about, and agree with us. Sadly, they’re not the ones in charge, and it must be downright painful for them to read the forums and be unable to do or say anything. For the sake of those silent devs, please try to be a little understanding.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Communicating with you

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

- the new trait system
- the megaserver

Cheers!

Hi Guzzi,

Chris

If you, or someone in the dev team, would just post in those threads it would mean quite a bit.

Yes, you would take flack. If this had been addressed in a timely fashion, it would have been much less flack. The longer it goes, the more flack you are going to get and more resentment is going to build.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

Communicating with you

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Trust.

From what I’ve read, this appears to be the core concern. Before the game launched, I was overwhelmed by trust issues – that one of my favourite aspects of the old game – trading was being replaced by the trading post. I was afraid! I was upset!

But alas, in retrospect, it was definitely the way to go.. even the fees make sense.

How do we apply that to now?

An idea to establish trust:

Use the means you already love.

Josh Foreman (and I believe also Colin) mentioned that you love game metrics.

1) select some of the forum hot topics
2) find historical metrics to support the course of action ArenaNET took
3) make more beautiful infographics that give unambiguous support of those actions.

I most definitely don’t expect forecasting values and information that will give you a competitive disadvantage in the market. You know, more than anyone, the volume of historical metrics you are able to safely draw from.

Of course, there will always be those who call you a liar or demand more, but they aren’t the customers you want.

When rational community members see empirical evidence which support the conclusion that ArenaNET is making rational decisions, there may be more trust that the same methodology is being used in your current development plans.

Once you have a process in place for this, offer it on a regularly recurring basis, maybe even another Twitch show… “The Province of Metrics”

Whatever the case, I’m not going anywhere. I love Guild Wars 2.

Communicating with you

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

Hi All,

Looking forward to collaborating with you all and having some awesome discussions.

Chris

And what happened to the WvW CDI which was announced several months ago ?

Communicating with you

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

when we’re not currently working on something, it’s because we’re working on something else instead that we think is more important for the game and community.

This is the key statement. Many times you’re not working on what players are asking for. Then, when you release whatever you’ve designed that you believe is better for the game or community, it’s something nobody asked for, or doesn’t improve the game how players wanted. This is why Charr armor still sucks, the Zerk meta still exists, Roleplayers are still screwed, and why we have no new races or skills or weapons.

Here’s the thing. The community does not speak with one voice. No online community does. Of those things you list, I don’t give a rat’s behind about Charr armor; I think the berserker PuG meta is fine; I don’t roleplay (in online games); and don’t want a new race. So, of what you list, only skills and weapons would interest me.

So, which of us represents a majority? I don’t know, and neither do you. ANet has to navigate through all the feedback, not just the feedback you make.

Communicating with you

Posted by: SolviteSekai.9816

SolviteSekai.9816

Hi All,

Chris

Yay! Excited to spend my work days talking with you again! hehe

Really excited to get back into it again and connect with some old and new faces (-:

Chris

Yet again no comment on why no one mentions the ANET threads like Mega server and Traits threads… Does Anet have tunnel vision that kicks in when ever anyone mentions them ?

Both threads have been mentioned multiple times in here and again over looked.

Thanks for replying Chris, so CDI’s starting again, is that so y’all can claim you working with players and again ignore any feedback ?

Threads created in April BY ANET for feedback on The LAST Feature pack still lay empty and a new feature pack on the horizon……… would it not be better to look / comment on the last feature pack before steam-rolling ahead with next one ?

the traits thread has a dev response logo next to it…

I guess you arent communicating unless you say what people want to hear.

Communicating with you

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

Hey Mike, my signature is just for you

About your post… You didnt even fulfill the initial promise about GW2 how could we even believe a second you “work on the things that we think will most delight and entertain you” or “All of us at ArenaNet play the game with you, chat with you and read your forum
Seriously ? what about gvg, news skills, REAL mcm FIX, work on pve AI mobs, the fact that at least 95% of the player DONT LIKE the new lvling.. etc
Instead what you do ? 300gold color tag ? improve the damage log ( way more important than ALLLLL the fix / balanced needed in that game ) a living story 2 that no one care about because everyone want REAL content..
I dont even speak about the… very… limited (to stay polite) “skill” update… which should be on top of the priority because its the CORE of the gameplay..

I most of the time very doubt we play the same GW2 because all i see, is that you work on stuff that will no doubt NOT entertain us.

Anyway. Good Luck with your game.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

Communicating with you

munkiman.3068

Hi All,

Chris

I can see the future.
CDI threads started.
MANY MANY posts by us forumgoers, some good idea some bad ideas.
The good ones get repeated, people talk over what would need to be changed to keep it from hurting the game/economy.
No Dev input.
People keep posting and posting feeling like no one is listening.
Next feature pack has nothing from the CDI’s people freak out.

Just calling it now.

Repeated topics means good feedback, it also means people take the time to read it. Nothing wrong with that. But you gotta admit, the 300g per color was a little outrageous. And a pretty good reason why people don’t feel like even the basic functionality of an actually basic feature of the game, was turned into a gold sink., Meh, i’m not offended by it, but i still think it was pretty much the suckeh.

Communicating with you

SolviteSekai.9816

About your post… you didnt even fulfill the initial promise about GW2 how could we even believe a second you “work on the things that we think will most delight and entertain you”
Seriously ? what about gvg, news skills, REAL mcm FIX…etc
instead what you do ? 300gold color tag ? inproove the damage log ( way more important than ALLLLL the fix / balanced needed in that game ) a living story 2 that no one care about because everyone want REAL content..

yeah i see that you work on stuff that will no doubt NOT entertain us.

Anyway. Good Luck with your game

Just gonna ignore the warrior nerf then I guess?

Communicating with you

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Hi All,

Chris

Is there any way we could have summaries of some CDI discussion,progress, or any news about it in the Points of Interest show?

I like Kate’s performance.
I don’t mind the fact ANet is trying to give us another show, but that series lacks meat aside from “here’s a recap of this week’s release”. After that 10 minute discussion the rest of it isn’t that attention getting for some.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

(edited by Atlas.9704)

Communicating with you

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

About your post… you didnt even fulfill the initial promise about GW2 how could we even believe a second you “work on the things that we think will most delight and entertain you”
instead what you do ? 300gold color tag ? inproove the damage log ( way more important than ALLLLL the fix / balanced needed in that game ) a living story 2 that no one care about because everyone want REAL content..

You should be forced to main a mesmer for a couple of years, or a necro, or even a ranger, before you have the right to complain about a nerf to warriors.

Communicating with you

Posted by: Lheimroo.2947

Lheimroo.2947

Hi All,

Chris

Really excited to get back into it again and connect with some old and new faces (-:

Chris

Yet again no comment on why no one mentions the ANET threads like Mega server and Traits threads… Does Anet have tunnel vision that kicks in when ever anyone mentions them ?

Thanks for replying Chris, so CDI’s starting again, is that so y’all can claim you working with players and again ignore any feedback ?

Threads created in April BY ANET for feedback on The LAST Feature pack still lay empty and a new feature pack on the horizon……… would it not be better to look / comment on the last feature pack before steam-rolling ahead with next one ?

I dare you to go find that response, quote it here, and then tell us how it responds in any way to the concerns raised in that thread. I just dare you to try that.

Communicating with you

SolviteSekai.9816

You should be forced to main a mesmer for a couple of years, or a necro, or even a ranger, before you have the right to complain about a nerf to warriors.

I main a thief.

I wasnt complaining about the warrior nerf.

Dude just said they arent balancing anything, when theres a giant list of class changes in the patch notes.

Communicating with you

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

Edited my answer to add a word about the very lack of decent “balance” traits / skills (And ofc forget many needed fix on the road )
I dont really know what GW2 the dev are playing at. But its obviously not the same

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

Communicating with you

Posted by: Hofulu.7325

Hofulu.7325

I appreciate them taking the time to come out and talk about communication. But here’s the thing, I shouldn’t have to appreciate it. Simple communication that doesn’t completely put a company at risk every time they say anything is a basic skill of any professional company. I don’t want this post to receive an infraction, so I will only say that there is a company, who for a very long time now, has given their players very little of what the majority have asked for, have given them zero explanation for why they have seemingly disregarded those asked for things, and have now, come out and say “when we’re not working one on thing, it’s because we’re working on something even bigger”. I would ask why the company has only said this, and not given any specific reason for their avoidance of doing what they majority have asked for, but I’m just an active player, so that’s none of my business.

Attachments:

Communicating with you

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Hi All,

Chris

Chris

Yeah go look, page 1, the one that created it, then 39 pages of nothing……

Communicating with you

Kohlteth.3715

- the new trait system
- the megaserver

Cheers!

Hi Guzzi,

Chris

Here You go Chris, so you do not derail the thead , a Link to the relevant 39 page thread for you :-

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Game-Updates-Traits/page/38#post4318137

Communicating with you

SolviteSekai.9816

I appreciate them taking the time to come out and talk about communication. But here’s the thing, I shouldn’t have to appreciate it. Simple communication that doesn’t completely put a company at risk every time they say anything is a basic skill of any professional company. I don’t want this post to receive an infraction, so I will only say that there is a company, who for a very long time now, has given their players very little of what the majority have asked for, have given them zero explanation for why they have seemingly disregarded those asked for things, and have now, come out and say “when we’re not working one on thing, it’s because we’re working on something even bigger”. I would ask why the company has only said this, and not given any specific reason for their avoidance of doing what they majority have asked for, but I’m just an active player, so that’s none of my business.

why didnt you post this in the thread? Not enough attention that way/

Communicating with you

munkiman.3068

Just to be clear, it’s never been about the majority/minority discussion, least not to us. the people that come here have developed a passion and HAVE received at least some feedback about the game as a whole. Reddit, views this forum as toxic for good reason.

I cannot deny that guilds are failing apart, i cannot deny that WvW is floundering, I cannot deny that PvP has taking a huge hit since launch. ANet tries to address these issues. But sadly in a convoluted way. DDoS attacks become quaggan jokes on twitter. Feature packs talk about things most people can’t relate to.

Yes, i speak for myself and would never claim otherwise.

Least get some cohesive conversations, bring all the social announcements here. I know players would appreciate a central theme, least i think so. Let’s focus on CDI’s, find tools to help us do that. This forum doesn’t have to be for the willing 10 or even 5%. I think some of us, at least, think we can do better. That is all.

Communicating with you

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Maybe they’ve given very little of what the majority asked for on the forums, but that doesn’t mean it’s what the majority wants, since the majority of people don’t post.

I keep referring to it, but recently Lotro did away with raids. They won’t be making any more. The majority of the forums asks for them, but only 2% of the player base raids.

The forum doesn’t represent a majority much of the time. It’s like when you have a bunch of lobbyists converge on the nation’s capital. They don’t really reflect the views of the people who just living and go to work each day.

The more vested you are in the game, the more you want what you want..and the more like you are to believe other people want it to.

It might not be as true as you think it is.

Communicating with you

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Hi Guzzi,

Chris

Thanks This gives me hope. Enough to reverse my decision to quit the game.

It is good to see you back on the forum. All communication is good communication, even if it is sometimes not what we want to hear (aka SAB).

Communicating with you

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Big fan of the CDIs. Glad to hear they’re coming back. I know I’ve been more than sarcastic about a few things lately, but.. genuinely, we’ve also seen a lot of cool things come from them.

Keep the communication coming. The back and forth is worth it – in tangible and intangible ways. In a sheer dollars and cents kinda way, too.

Roger that!

Chris

And from one moment to another I just feel like being in a CDI thread again.
This relaxing presence of You as a Devloper talking with us is exactly, what this Community wants and “needs” and what makes the community just with one word – happy

b^_^d

Happily waiting for the someday to come as proposed Sub Class CDI to brainstorm with you more detailed about it, in which ways that could improve all GW2’s horizontal character progression alot

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Communicating with you

Posted by: Decently Evil.9648

Decently Evil.9648

I main a thief.

I wasnt complaining about the warrior nerf.

Dude just said they arent balancing anything, when theres a giant list of class changes in the patch notes.

A small list of changes made to look like a giant list of changes, as has been the usual with all of their feature pack blogs

Communicating with you

Posted by: Veltoss.9135

Veltoss.9135

What about communicating with yourselves? From what I’ve read, especially on glassdoor.com, it seems that communication between the upper management and the lower level employees, and understanding between upper management and the players, is severely lacking. I’d personally rather see something done to improve ArenaNet as a whole than increased communication with the players. Communication with the players is worthless if the company can’t run efficiently and produce good content, and players have noticed for a while now how badly prioritized and managed content creation has been.

Blackgate

Communicating with you

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Hi All,

Chris

Omg Chris, we’ve missed you! Please come back soon and chat! Bring josh too if you want! But pleeeease you are the only one (other than smith and gaile) that tries to pay attention to us and we miss it :’(

Communicating with you

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

What about communicating with yourselves? From what I’ve read, especially on glassdoor.com, it seems that communication between the upper management and the lower level employees, and understanding between upper management and the players, is severely lacking. I’d personally rather see something done to improve ArenaNet as a whole than increased communication with the players. Communication with the players is worthless if the company can’t run efficiently and produce good content, and players have noticed for a while now how badly prioritized and managed content creation has been.

This is ridiculous. If you think this is some sort of “problem” then you’ve never been in the work force.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Communicating with you

munkiman.3068

Maybe they’ve given very little of what the majority asked for on the forums, but that doesn’t mean it’s what the majority wants, since the majority of people don’t post.

I keep referring to it, but recently Lotro did away with raids. They won’t be making any more. The majority of the forums asks for them, but only 2% of the player base raids.

The forum doesn’t represent a majority much of the time. It’s like when you have a bunch of lobbyists converge on the nation’s capital. They don’t really reflect the views of the people who just living and go to work each day.

The more vested you are in the game, the more you want what you want..and the more like you are to believe other people want it to.

It might not be as true as you think it is.

I really hate to go here, but i’ve been influenced by my server and their feedback. I guess if i didn’t run the community i’d feel differently. I certainly enjoy GW2, but there have been so many things i get people to tell me about that makes it unfun. Sure a lot of it is WvW, but even PvE organization and general woe about the LS, pushes me to one side or the other.

I can’t help but think if people (on my server) had good vibes about the game, i’d be less inclined to post negative stuff.

Communicating with you

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Thank you Devs for talking with us, and not just at us. It is greatly appreciated, and no matter what, talking with us is always better than not. No matter what. Open lines of communication with your customer base is the true foundation to good business.

Please keep it coming, good or bad.

Communicating with you

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

Cheers!

This kind of attitude is exactly why ANet cannot be expected to respond often. Take a look at your question and its possible answers:

• By saying “Yes”, they’d be admitting to “attempting to destroy roleplaying”
  • By saying “No”, they’d be admitting to not thinking of roleplaying

That is called a loaded question and is a logical fallacy.

Actions have consequences. Sometimes those consequences are bad. Often, those consequences aren’t trivial to avoid or fix. It takes time.

Communicating with you

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

You know what they say about assumptions…

My advice is don’t always believe what you read on the internet.

Anyway no more comment on this but I thought I would give my opinion (-:

Chris

(edited by Chris Whiteside.6102)

Communicating with you

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

My feedback, and I hope you read:

I would like to ask why Ascended Aquabreathers still dont exist. You decided to release Ascended Armor, but cant even introduce the last piece of Armor. If it is that difficult to implement such an item, then please eliminate Aquabreathers completely and give us our current helmet’s stats while underwater. Everyone would be more than happy with just that. Instead, this has been left in a state of incompleteness for over 8 months.

I would also like to ask why Ascended Trinket with a long list of known stats(such as Carrion and Valkyrie) still dont exist either. This was promised by a dev in February 2013.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Missing-Ascended-Stats-Bug-or-Intentional/first
We dont like to keep reminding you of this kind of missing stuff, but after 1.5 years, i think it is about time to.

Communicating with you

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

This kind of attitude is exactly why ANet cannot be expected to respond often. Take a look at your question and its possible answers:

• By saying “Yes”, they’d be admitting to “attempting to destroy roleplaying”
  • By saying “No”, they’d be admitting to not thinking of roleplaying

“That is called a loaded question” and is a logical fallacy.

Actions have consequences. Sometimes those consequences are bad. Often, those consequences aren’t trivial to avoid or fix. It takes time.

Yeah, I didn’t word it very well, I agree with you.

What I should have said is:

- The Megaserver has made things significantly more difficult for the roleplaying community. Has there been any discussion regarding our concerns?

I apologise for what was, in retrospect, a very aggressively toned question.

Communicating with you

Kohlteth.3715

nvm, you posted after, did you visit the Trait thread so you were not derailing this one ?

Communicating with you

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

I think you missed your words Chris

Thanks. (-:

Chris

Communicating with you

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

nvm, you posted after, did you visit the Trait thread so you were not derailing this one ?

Izzy is thinking about it right now.

Thanks for reminding me.

Chris

Communicating with you

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

SAB CDI, Chris.

Just sayin’!

Communicating with you

Kohlteth.3715

Izzy is thinking about it right now.

Thanks for reminding me.

Chris

Thank you so much for visiting us, we do appreciate it no matter how much people complain, any feedback / communication is better as we know y’all are at least still around.

So on behalf of all, Thank You Chris

edited for typos

Communicating with you

Previous

Chris Whiteside.6102

Studio Design Director

Next

Hi All,

Chris

Omg Chris, we’ve missed you! Please come back soon and chat! Bring josh too if you want! But please you are the only one (other than smith and gaile) that tries to pay attention to us and we miss it :’(

We missed you all to. Josh will definitely be part of the CDIs.

The timing is right to spin up CDIs again now. A lot of everyone’s hard work and suggestions have gone into our work on Living World, and Feature Pack etc and so it makes sense to spin the CDI up following the release of the Feature Pack.

Chris

P.S: Going to head home and will jump back on when I get settled and haven given the kids a big hug.

Communicating with you

Posted by: NoTrigger.8396

NoTrigger.8396

what about more communication in the dungeon forum?!
how many times do we need to ask for communication and how many times will we see the answer “absolutely doable” until something happens?

[qT] Quantify

Communicating with you

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Hi All,

Chris

Omg Chris, we’ve missed you! Please come back soon and chat! Bring josh too if you want! But please you are the only one (other than smith and gaile) that tries to pay attention to us and we miss it :’(

We missed you all to. Josh will definitely be part of the CDIs.

The timing is right to spin up CDIs again now. A lot of everyone’s hard work and suggestions have gone into our work on Living World, and Feature Pack etc and so it makes sense to spin the CDI up following the release of the Feature Pack.

Chris

P.S: Going to head home and will jump back on when I get settled and haven given the kids a big hug.

Can we expect the ele and necro CDIs now?

Communicating with you

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

Thanks for the post.
We just want to know whether we should bother waiting for this “big thing” you are working on.
i mean i imagine the idea is to carry on the living world, but at the moment there just isnt enough content to keep me going besides grinding for gold or drops so i can get a legendary or alternatively skins, which gets a bit naff after a while.
i know these are just my opinions but i see them echoed in alot of places

we still cant see the direction you are going with your game
we have no idea what aspects u are focusing on and because of that i feel like you neglect my part of the game i enjoy
while others would have the same feeling about the parts they enjoy

i know you say your listening and that’s great but we need communication (i didnt quite understand what you meant by the last bit of your post (about consolidating and such))

the reason so many people are still complaing is that we have nothing we are eager for that has been anounced.

u say u dont wanna say when your working on stuff cause it may not happen?
well im sure you could give us a vauge idea of the things u are trying to achieve

“we are working on this for this area”

surely you could at least do that?

Communicating with you

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

So have ANet fully understood why the outburst occurred after the GuildMag interview, yet? (And note, it wasn’t because of people not in the right area of expertise.)

Did they figure out why they are at fault for making two employees work overtime to redo the commander tag?

Communicating with you

Posted by: sanedude.9450

sanedude.9450

People are just impatient because you haven’t released an expansion yet, even if they don’t know they want one yet. It’s just business, the consumer is constantly demanding more. 2+2=4. Just announce one already, it’s been 2 years. Besides fractals you guys haven’t released anything(except game improvements and living story[skilless gameplay-challenge=no real worth given to the player]). The living story is a great idea don’t get me wrong, I love arenanet and guild wars, I’m just clarifying why the founder of a company was forced to write a statement such as this. Would the majority of your fan base love you, thank you and put their faith back into gw2 after an announcement of a cantha expansion?. . . 2+2=4.