DirectX 11?

DirectX 11?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

Of course, but what is stated in that quote is not why they didn’t have both DX11 and DX9, Just why it was released with DX9 rather than 11, which makes a lot of sense, since that does not exclude anyone.

The only people getting left out IMHO are the people with DX11 hardware, DX11 is backwards compatible. Steam hardware survey is the largest database I know of. I’m also aware that not everyone has Steam or take part of the survey but it does show a good picture of what types of hardware people are using these days.

Less than 2% people have DX9, Less than 5% DX10, 62.12% Have DX11 capable hardware. Plus DX11 allows better utilize multi-core processors which is pretty standard these days. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The masses should be more important then the few with sub par pc’s IMHO.

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Exhibit A: Proving once again how gamers are not known for their intelligence.

I suggest to take a look in mirror.

BF3 – up to 64 players, working in dx11.

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

I have no idea why you guys want DX 11? Is there something you’re really missing from GW2 that DX 11 would add?

DX 10 may bring some better shadows, but from what I can tell, GW2 already has some great shadows at max settings.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

Still an FPS, still a very different breed of game when it comes to graphics performance.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Guild Wars 1 w3as originally a DX8 game . Took them until Factions’ release to make the game DX9 .

No DX11 is a crime against any computers built after 2009 .

MMO or not, not having DX11 support in a PC EXCLUSIVE title released in 2012 is a joke especially when games run better in dx11.

Well I guess you got me there. I also forgot that the game’s curretnyl using a DX9 software foundation so why would they scrap it and jump to DX11…

Having it in Direct X 11 would upset people with Direct X 10 cards, which there is still a fairly high number of compared to DX9 cards now. I could see this game going as far as DX10 for now but not DX11 and I highly doubt GW2 will upgrade to DX10 to begin with. If there is a ‘Guild Wars 3’ game in the future, maybe it will use Direct X 11. But it doesn’t really matter though, the game looks great either way.

Also wouldn’t this topic be better suited for the Tech support forums?

Why would it upset anyone? DX11 support doesn’t mean DX9 won’t be supported anymore… DX11 would be for those who own a gaming rig and DX9 for those gaming on a computer from Bestbuy lol

Well I guess you got me there. I also forgot the game’s currently running DX9 so why they’d scrap it for DX11 is beyond me so eh

DirectX 11?

Scoobaniec.9561

Still an FPS, still a very different breed of game when it comes to graphics performance.

Sure np.

Star Trek Online does run dx11. MMO.

DirectX 11?

Avelos.6798

I have no idea why you guys want DX 11? Is there something you’re really missing from GW2 that DX 11 would add?

DX 10 may bring some better shadows, but from what I can tell, GW2 already has some great shadows at max settings.

DX10 is ugly and clunky :X

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

DX11 would capability would be awesome to have cause of the extra performance you can squeeze out of it. Might fix some issues where the game is only using 10% of my resources but still performs like crap.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

DirectX 11?

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

DX11 allows better utilize multi-core processors with benefits are increased visual effects and/or performance increases for cards that are DX11 ready.

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Most people like me want dx11 for the increased performance as this game runs like crap for how it should run on high end computers, plus it doesn’t use as much gpu power as it should (on high end cards)

arn’t all cards dx11 ready? ( I should know this, embarrasing coming from a computer technician)

edit my 7950 certaintly is.right?

i thought all cards are capable of using dx11 as long as you have windows 7 and up (stupid microsoft scam)

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Ill leave it just here.. Second ss show the ultra amazing quality of textures in GW2. Next 2 ss coming from Crysis 3.

Should i mention that i have highter FPS in Crysis 3 than in GW2?

And exactly how many other people are playing with you at the same time in Crysis 3?

Oh, and I can run Dx11 thank you very much. But I’ve seen too many games where the Dx10 or Dx11 option significantly reduces framerate over the Dx9 version. Sure they can look better but should I lose 10% or more of my framerate for doing nothing but enabling Dx10/Dx11 rendering?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

DirectX 11?

Behellagh.1468

Most people like me want dx11 for the increased performance as this game runs like crap for how it should run on high end computers, plus it doesn’t use as much gpu power as it should (on high end cards)

arn’t all cards dx11 ready? ( I should know this, embarrasing coming from a computer technician)

edit my 7950 certaintly is.right?

i thought all cards are capable of using dx11 as long as you have windows 7 and up (stupid microsoft scam)

AMD HD 2xxx, 3xxx and 4xxx series are only Dx10

nVidia 8xxx, 9xxx and GT/GTS/GTX 2xx series are Dx10

Yes these are “old” GPU cards but according to the Steam Survey Dx10 cards account for 32.8% of the cards out there.

RIP City of Heroes

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Crawford.4135

Crawford.4135

This game is ONLY DX9, and will always be DX9.

ArenaNet ‘said’ they added DX10 to player skins, but that was a flat out lie. If there ever will be a GW3, it too will be DX9.

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

DX11 use multi core computers more efficiently than DX9 and DX10 . In fact, DX11 cards run way better on DX11 than DX9. Also, it bring more shader options and tessellation on the table .

On the June 2013 steam survey , 62% of the steam users are using DX11 cards , 28% are using DX10 and the rest are using DX9 only cards.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

DirectX 11?

Scoobaniec.9561

Ppl that says its inst needed are the ones that plays on 10 years old pc with lower setting possible i believe.. Find me anyone that got dx11 card and want to plays dx9 game..Yeah.

Theres a reason why we have high end pc. Even consoles soon will have access to dx11.

Dx9 was made at the end of 2002 year. It is simply outdated

DirectX 11?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

On the June 2013 steam survey , 62% of the steam users are using DX11 cards , 28% are using DX10 and the rest are using DX9 only cards.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Is there a similar survey for China? I remember reading on an interview with Colin that he said PCs in China are still using Windows XP, since the game will be released there soon™ it makes sense to postpone DX11 before it is released there first.

DirectX 11?

Scoobaniec.9561

Some ppl don’t understand that they can have CHOICE between dx9 and 11 in graphic options. The same way the lower>highter options does work now.

Rest is a bullkitten talk

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

It’s cute that you know how to google, but then you will know that there are more than one revision of Dx9 as well. It’s not a one-time development and the last version of DX9 is much more recent. Even though your arguments are alredy irrelevant, you still seem to have no idea what you’re talking about.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

DirectX 11?

Treeline.3865

Of course, but what is stated in that quote is not why they didn’t have both DX11 and DX9, Just why it was released with DX9 rather than 11, which makes a lot of sense, since that does not exclude anyone.

The only people getting left out IMHO are the people with DX11 hardware, DX11 is backwards compatible. Steam hardware survey is the largest database I know of. I’m also aware that not everyone has Steam or take part of the survey but it does show a good picture of what types of hardware people are using these days.

Less than 2% people have DX9, Less than 5% DX10, 62.12% Have DX11 capable hardware. Plus DX11 allows better utilize multi-core processors which is pretty standard these days. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The masses should be more important then the few with sub par pc’s IMHO.

In that case it is debateable whether they shouldn’t have released the game on DX10, but it’s fairly obvious why they didn’t release it with DX11, since that would exclude almost 40% of players, provided they didn’t have time to do both DX10 and 11. I would however still love to have DX11 support added

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Seem GW2 will be DX9 for a long long time, From Face book

“For those of you who have been asking about DX11 support for Guild Wars 2, our goal with GW2 has always been to provide a gorgeous fantasy world while at the same time running on a wide range of gaming PCs.

Focusing on DX9 allows us to do this, as it’s a much wider supported graphics API than DX11 is and we wanted our game to reach as many of our fans as possible.

We will be evaluating supporting DX11 post launch. ~RB2”

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151048222709209&set=a.135044094208.103264.114036714208&type=1&theater

And that’s bullkitten , since most , if not all PC games that can run on DX11 also have a DX9 option for people with older computers .

its pretty much all but Crysis 3 so yes its bull kitten level to da max

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

As somebody who actually ran this game on a 32bit DX9 system, I can confirm that this client is an absolute joke.

If they dare show their face in WinXP dominated Asia with this falsely advertised DX9 game, then NCSoft will instantly become a laughing stock in their main market.
ANet will not like the outcome of that.

I run this game on 32bit and DX9 and it runs just fine for pretty much everything except WvW zergs. Running at 1920×1080, 3.5 GB RAM @ 800, E8400 @ 3.6 Ghz, GTX 260 Core 216 @648/1134. I run mostly medium settings with FXAA on and generally get a FPS between 40-80. I built this PC around August of 2008, right before the release of Warhammer, so it is about 5 years old now.

(edited by Ashanor.5319)

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

This game is ONLY DX9, and will always be DX9.

ArenaNet ‘said’ they added DX10 to player skins, but that was a flat out lie. If there ever will be a GW3, it too will be DX9.

GW3 running on dx9 released in 2020 lol now THAT would be pathetic

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

As someone who is running a Direct X 11 card, I have only one thing to say

I really could not give less of a kitten about GW2 running on 9 instead of 11

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

Why? Don’t you like this game’s art style? Your character’s and his/her armor details? You don’t want to see this game run better? Pretty ignorant if you ask me, because DX11 makes everything above BETTER

DirectX 11?

Celestina.2894

Why? Don’t you like this game’s art style? Your character’s and his/her armor details? You don’t want to see this game run better? Pretty ignorant if you ask me, because DX11 makes everything above BETTER

I does

but the game looks good already, better is always good, but once again

I could not care less if it did or did not

Pretty ignorant if you can’t grasp something so simple

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

I does

but the game looks good already, better is always good, but once again

I could not care less if it did or did not

if you pay close attention to detail (for example, blocky heads and fingers, ps2 quality textures almost everywhere) the game doesn’t look good at all graphically for today standards. It may look good/decent for an mmo but not for general gaming graphics. Look at the witcher 3, game will be bigger than gw2 and looks like two gens ahead when it comes to graphics and micro details.

DirectX 11?

Celestina.2894

Yes, Witcher 3 does

but again GW2 already looks good

Not sure why you are having such a hard time understanding I could not care less.

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

Yes, Witcher 3 does

Not sure why you are having such a hard time understanding I could not care less.

Because you’re ignoring the fact that DX11 improves fps. No matter how much you don’t care about graphics, fps in game that runs at 15 in zergs certainly needs it

DirectX 11?

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Guild wars 2 have more going on not only in numbers of players, but in scale than battlefield 3 does, but thanks for playing.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

DirectX 11?

silvermember.8941

Yes, Witcher 3 does

Because you’re ignoring the fact that DX11 improves fps. No matter how much you don’t care about graphics, fps in game that runs at 15 in zergs certainly needs it

Also ignoring the fact that most of the benefits of DX11 only benefits people that actually have DX11. The type of people that require Dx11 are generally smaller than the audience that play MMORPG. Besides, DX11 would just be something people like you ignore once you get and promptly go back to random QQing about other stuff.

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

Yes, Witcher 3 does

Also ignoring the fact that most of the benefits of DX11 only benefits people that actually have DX11. The type of people that require Dx11 are generally smaller than the audience that play MMORPG. Besides, DX11 would just be something people like you ignore once you get and promptly go back to random QQing about other stuff.

^dude #9838742 playing on a pc from bestbuy who’ve never played a game in DX11, next

DirectX 11?

Treeline.3865

Okay, legit question, since I’m not sure myself, are you even sure that DX11 would increase framerate in zergs? I was under the impression that the biggest contributor to zergfest fps was the game engine and not a DX specific issue?

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

Okay, legit question, since I’m not sure myself, are you even sure that DX11 would increase framerate in zergs? I was under the impression that the biggest contributor to zergfest fps was the game engine and not a DX specific issue?

It certainly has less chance of happening than if they changed their engine and weren’t using something as outdated. But even if the chance of fps increase is slim or fps increase is only 5-7fps, i’d still want it because from 20fps and almost 30 there’s a big difference. We will still be getting dat skill lag so yeaaah…

DirectX 11?

Behellagh.1468

As for OS stats, StatCounter can show OS breakdown per country and part of world, based on info passed by your browser. June 2013 stats has XP kitten.9% and Win 7 at 36.6% in China. In South Korea XP is 27.4% and in Japan 14.6%. Compare that to 11.9% in the US and 15% in Germany, 13.5% in France and 10.5% in the UK.

Of course any PC including crappy ones can go browsing on the web, it doesn’t say anything about gaming systems.

Also Dx11 doesn’t guarantee faster frame rate. That entirely depends on the port. Remember Lost Planet’s Dx10 port, the game became slower because the devs couldn’t help themselves with all the new “features” Dx10 had and by including all of them resulted in a much prettier yet slower game than the Dx9 renderer.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

DirectX 11?

Celestina.2894

Yes, Witcher 3 does

I’m fully aware of the benefits

I just don’t care about them, especially when there are far more pressing concerns.

I’m sorry the idea is beyond you.

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

people, dx11 games doesnt mean you cant play it with older cards….. all games with dx11 can be run in dx9,10, just with less features, i only want dx11 for the porfamance and looks 2nd.

DirectX 11?

Avelos.6798

It’s cute that you know how to google, but then you will know that there are more than one revision of Dx9 as well. It’s not a one-time development and the last version of DX9 is much more recent. Even though your arguments are alredy irrelevant, you still seem to have no idea what you’re talking about.

Treeline, don’t be mean like that. :U
Why not explain in a way that will help the other person who doesn’t know fully what it is so that they’ll learn instead of just calling them an idiot with fancy keyboard warrior words.

Scoobaniec, DirectX 9 C is what’s currently in use which is much more recent than the original release of Direct X 9. It’s also used in the current videogame consoles and that’s probably where all of the use of DX9 in most videogames today come from. Direct X is the kind of thing that doesn’t go outdated until the most used version is no longer the most used. that’s what I think anyway.

DirectX 11?

Treeline.3865

Sorry, my bad I just dislike it when people clutter threads, not really knowing what they are getting into, best example being the DX9 users having compatibility concerns q:
For reference, the last version listed on wikipedia (I’m not really keeping track) is from 2010. So while it’s probably not being developed any further, it’s a stretch to call it outdated.

DirectX 11?

Avelos.6798

For reference, the last version listed on wikipedia (I’m not really keeping track) is from 2010. So while it’s probably not being developed any further, it’s a stretch to call it outdated.

I agree with you that calling DX9 outdated is a stretch. Direct X 8.1 though, on the other hand, is outdated as KITTEN. Kitties. Kittles. Cats. Charr. (I don’t even know where I’m going with that end bit there)

DirectX 11?

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

As somebody who actually ran this game on a 32bit DX9 system, I can confirm that this client is an absolute joke.

I run this game on 32bit and DX9 and it runs just fine for pretty much everything except WvW zergs.

Congratu-kitten-lations!
I also would´ve liked to get so lucky.

Please do an announcement over on the tech-support board, so that the legion of “32-bit DX9 only” people frequenting it during the last 8 months can be happy for you too.

Polish > hype

DirectX 11?

Treeline.3865

I agree with you that calling DX9 outdated is a stretch. Direct X 8.1 though, on the other hand, is outdated as KITTEN. Kitties. Kittles. Cats. Charr. (I don’t even know where I’m going with that end bit there)

Agree again. In the end though, if it is true that there’s only about 1% left who are incapable of running the game with DX10 it probably would have been reasonable to release the game with that. But that’s past and doesn’t matter, in the end I’d very much just like the DX11 ^^ I can live with both performance (Not even sure it will be improved) and looks. The game looks amazing for an MMO. Endgame for me.

DirectX 11?

Behellagh.1468

Latest Steam survey shows 4.7% of people with Dx10/11 hardware but not running a version of Windows that support Dx10 or Dx11. 3.4% aren’t running Dx10/11 hardware at all. Combined that’s about 1 in 12.

RIP City of Heroes

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

The use of DX9 was probably because that the GW1 engine was used for GW2, albeit highly modified.
DX11 would make the game run better without adding in tesselation or other eye candy effects.
There were rumblings that GW2 would also be brought to consoles as well(which would explain using DX9 as well as only 3 heavy threads for the engine).
If there is a DX11 update I would welcome it from the stance that it would improve performance for this game.
GW2 in my opinion is a kinda next gen mmo. They haven’t pushed the envelope in any technical category that I can think off.

This will be a next gen MMO:
http://vimeo.com/57829622

Realize that this video is Beta and not completely finished. The game will also have large scale PVP and PVE battles with 0 performance impact. Aside from the texture pop the game looks beautiful, especially the character models.

I doubt that GW2 will ever have DX11 implemented but I certainly would welcome it.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Jared.8497

Jared.8497

I’d rather have opengl than dx.

DirectX 11?

silvermember.8941

Yes, Witcher 3 does

^dude #9838742 playing on a pc from bestbuy who’ve never played a game in DX11, next

How cute, someone is trying to make a funny.

What you said would be true IF it wasn’t for the fact that I did build my own computer last year (i5 3570k oc to 4.5, nv 670, 8GB ram and blah blah blah, and just for fun bought a 27 inch 2560×1440 Ips monitor). I was planning on going all out with adding another 670, buying 2 more ips screens and bumping up the ram to 16, but I am in then I realize how little I care about graphics and I am out the point where graphics should be secondary to EVERYTHING else. Graphics are the things companies like Crytek use to hide behind their medicore shooter.

With that said, you are right in a way, I do sometimes wish I hadn’t spend that much money on something just to say “Looks nice” then promptly don’t care anymore.

(edited by silvermember.8941)

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

The use of DX9 was probably because that the GW1 engine was used for GW2, albeit highly modified.
DX11 would make the game run better without adding in tesselation or other eye candy effects.
There were rumblings that GW2 would also be brought to consoles as well(which would explain using DX9 as well as only 3 heavy threads for the engine).
If there is a DX11 update I would welcome it from the stance that it would improve performance for this game.
GW2 in my opinion is a kinda next gen mmo. They haven’t pushed the envelope in any technical category that I can think off.

Realize that this video is Beta and not completely finished. The game will also have large scale PVP and PVE battles with 0 performance impact. Aside from the texture pop the game looks beautiful, especially the character models.

I doubt that GW2 will ever have DX11 implemented but I certainly would welcome it.

wow dat looked impressive, when is it coming out? Reminds me of Dragon’s Dogma combat system which i liked a lot. Or is this another generic 30 hotkeys spam fest mmo?

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

Yes, Witcher 3 does

How cute, someone is trying to make a funny.

What you said would be true IF it wasn’t for the fact that I did build my own computer last year (i5 3570k oc to 4.5, nv 670, 8GB ram and blah blah blah, and just for fun bought a 27 inch 2560×1440 Ips monitor). I was planning on going all out with adding another 670, buying 2 more ips screens and bumping up the ram to 16, but I am in then I realize how little I care about graphics and I am out the point where graphics should be secondary to EVERYTHING else. Graphics are the things companies like Crytek use to hide behind their medicore shooter.

With that said, you are right in a way, I do sometimes wish I hadn’t spend that much money on something just to say “Looks nice” then promptly don’t care anymore.

wasn’t trying to be funny, just look at some posts on this thread, people don’t even know what dx11 is while saying “i don’t care about DX11” or “i don’t want it!!!!”. Its impossible to disagree about Crytek and everybody knows this. Just look at how much hate Ryse is currently getting, may have great graphics (i say may because its far from being as impressive as Crysis 3) but gameplay looks like the worst in years. Linear as kitten and on full QTE spam. But that’s Crytek, not every dev puts amazing looking graphics with garbage gameplay. For example, Watch Dogs, The Division, Destiny, MGS5 and TW3 all have great graphics while having some good gameplay (from the looks of it and from playing their prequels) and that’s what im looking for, good graphics AND good gameplay but for some companies that’s too much asking

(edited by Nuka Cola.8520)

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Stormcrow.7513

Stormcrow.7513

wow dat looked impressive, when is it coming out? Reminds me of Dragon’s Dogma combat system which i liked a lot. Or is this another generic 30 hotkeys spam fest mmo?

The game is currently in Beta in South Korea but the devs are looking for a North American publisher and estimates for release are sometime in 2014-early 2015

It is an action oriented combat system much like GW2. I am not sure about anything more regarding the combat system but the game looks amazing.
Player houses, large scale battles, rich crafting and political system and pretty much anything that you could want.
Personally I would pay $20 a month for a game that meets all of those criteria and more, not to mention look beautiful in the process.

i7 3770k oc 4.5 H100i(push/pull) 8gb Corsair Dominator Asus P877V-LK
intel 335 180gb/intel 320 160gb WD 3TB Gigabyte GTX G1 970 XFX XXX750W HAF 932

DirectX 11?

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

What puzzles me is I for what ever reason, I seem to remember reading years ago(way before release) that the game engine was going to be totally new and different from what was used in GW1. Must have dreamed it.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

DirectX 11?

Nuka Cola.8520

What puzzles me is I for what ever reason, I seem to remember reading years ago(way before release) that the game engine was going to be totally new and different from what was used in GW1. Must have dreamed it.

They lied like Bethesda lied about Skyrim’s engine which is same old stuff but modified, same thing with CoD:Ghosts and their crappy engine from 1999…